Previous in Forum: Negative Watts   Next in Forum: Spares of Control Techniques Inverter Unidrive 3405
Close
Close
Close
51 comments
Power-User

How to Connect This Switch

05/18/2012 7:22 PM

I have bought a switch like this

Its natural position is bounced to "Off".

I put it into a switch box and added an insulated handle.

Now I want to connect this switch to the mains and an electrical appliance which has a plastic case, I think no earthing is required.

Here is 6 legs at the rear side and I labelled each with a number.

How should I connect?

Thanks

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1733

Re: How to connect this switch

05/18/2012 7:39 PM

5 and 2 are line in connections and feed to either 4 and 1 or 3 and 6 depending on the switch lever position, up or down...

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #1

05/18/2012 7:50 PM

GA, but questions like this are always a little scary. AC or DC power source? Voltage? Did you turn the power off before attempting to connect? Will you?

You may not like me much, but I'd feel real bad if I inadvertently armed someone with the confidence to go kill themselves.

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #3

05/18/2012 7:56 PM

Here I go, again. I agree with you. Not about the GA, the post does more harm than good. It DOES NOT offer any meaningful information, since SE does not know what OP is doing.

The OP has not demonstrated a command of things technical in the past and this is no exception.

120/240/480?

This is too much like, "I have a gun. Got any bullets?"

Nothing personal, OP.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #4

05/18/2012 8:04 PM

It is personal. We have a certain degree of responsibility not to walk people into a death trap. Lots of people have been killed by unloaded guns. Electricity will kill a person in a second.

My suggestion to the OP would be to find out not only how it's hooked up, but why. A couple of hours in a book or on the internet should bring him up to speed.....................at least on the basics.

In reply to #4

05/18/2012 9:07 PM

I'm going to take advantage of what may be my last moment of clarity this evening, and say this:

Between your insults and my crazy, we leave people in one of several states. Laughing their asses off, having a valid answer, completely pissed off, or walking away shaking their heads saying, "WTF".

One thing I/we refuse to take part in, is putting someone in a permanent box. The GA machine is not worth it.

Take heed solareagle. People trust us. Sight unseen. Getting them into serious trouble is not on the agenda.

Have a good weekend.

05/18/2012 7:44 PM

Very carefully.

Look on the net for some wiring diagrams.

There are many safe, and many dangerous, ways to wire it depending on things you have not told us.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180

Re: How to Connect This Switch

05/18/2012 10:22 PM

If that switch is to be mounted in a plastic enclosure the body needs earthing. This can be done with a tag around the barrel of the switch.

Unearthed there's only one-way for any leakage current to flow, through the operator!

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 937

05/18/2012 10:34 PM

Why are so many here worried about fatalities about this switch? It is a dead man's switch. Somebody is supposed to die.

In reply to #8

05/18/2012 11:31 PM

Your vote counts....

In reply to #8

05/19/2012 12:23 AM

Like moths to the flame...........................just do it!!!

Not you..................just in general.

Don't yell at me.................I yell back. And it makes no sense.

At least we have something in common. Time

to piss off my FB fiends.

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #12

05/19/2012 1:06 AM

At first, I thought "fiends" was a typo for "friends", but I suppose you'd want to yell at your fiends first. Just makes you wonder how you friended them in the first place :p Speaking of yelling at people on Facebook... http://facebook.com/CR4News We love getting yelled at there! (only kind of, to be honest)

In reply to #13

05/19/2012 11:38 AM

Trust me.....................you don't want me on your FB page. Ask lyn.

In reply to #16

05/19/2012 11:45 AM

OMG! Turn your hair straight, or curl it, whichever.

Vitriolic hardly describes him when he goes off on a tirade.

The good news is that the better half of kramarat is there on FB to keep him from being arrested.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781

05/18/2012 11:28 PM

What are the voltage and current ratings of the switch?
What kind of circuit do you have in mind?

This is a DPDT (double pole double throw) switch that could be used to switch two ungrounded legs of AC, or a reversing circuit in DC, or two separate devices, or a manual/off/auto circuit, etc.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 28

05/18/2012 11:50 PM

Let's put this to bed. If you can't wire up a switch, Don't!

05/19/2012 8:26 AM
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 125

05/19/2012 10:03 AM

The "mains" ?? What do you mean ?? 240 VAC ??

What kind of an appliance needs a momentary switch by the way? Maybe a Margarita machine.

You bought a switch that is puzzling to you, now you want us to tell you how to hook it up to "the mains".

I agree with some of the other comments. This truly IS a dead man switch.

Good Answers: 1

05/19/2012 12:44 PM

You need to give us more information.

What is the appliance?

As a rule, a simple appliance will require only a SPST (basic on/off) switch, and the switch you have is overkill.

But you can still use two legs of it as a SPST switch. Those two legs would be one of the middle, and one end on the same side.

The most common use of this switch (DPDT) that I have seen is for a DC motor, such as you would have on a ceiling fan, which is reversible.

Shown are diagrams for configuring the switch as SPST for a simple appliance, and for reversing a DC motor.

k-g

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 105
In reply to #18

05/19/2012 2:13 PM

It can also be hooked up as a source to two separate outputs; 2-5 source; 1-4; output one; 3-6; output two.

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #18

05/20/2012 7:19 AM

You are quite correct, but it doesn't hurt to switch both live and neutral. Some person in days gone by may have wired the G(eneral)P(urpose)O(utlet) incorrectly. This may result in someone switching the appliance 'off' before opening it to find the fault and finding it still live.

Of course, it should be unplugged, BUUT!

Participant

In reply to #24

05/20/2012 4:07 PM

"it doesn't hurt to switch both live and neutral"

I agree that it doesn't hurt, but if it is residential wiring he is working with, it is against the code to switch the neutral in a simple SPST application.

k-g

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #43

05/20/2012 10:45 PM

You are absolutely correct. Now convince me that you have never seen it done.

05/19/2012 2:20 PM

Lest there be any confusion, I have voted both GA's in this thread OT to cancel out the GA's.

Although I am opposed to the practice of voting OT to cancel GA's unless I voted GA in the first place, I made an exception here because I believe it violates the "do no harm" philosophy some of us practice to provide uninformed information to the OP.

The very term "mains" and "appliance" indicates that the power source may well be 240V. It may be 12V. We don't know, do we?

youngken, may well be competent, but why would you buy a switch if you can't wire it?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

05/19/2012 6:00 PM

I just undid your OT. There is no way for us to know what the OP is doing, or whether he even has the right switch. Therefore, there is no way to be able to tell him how to properly hook it up.

I can tell my little daughter how to scrape the grass off from under my lawnmower deck. If she has no idea that the spinning blades are sharp and dangerous when the lawnmower is running........................I'm better off not telling her anything.

In reply to #21

05/19/2012 8:36 PM

"I'm better off not telling her anything."

You're "better off not telling anybody anything."

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180
In reply to #22

05/20/2012 8:44 AM

Sorry Lyn, I gave you that OT.

This is getting silly, it should end.

In reply to #25

05/20/2012 8:48 AM

They all get silly after awhile.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #26

05/20/2012 11:01 AM

Which is exactly why we shouldn't be giving people answers that could potentially get them killed, when they have no comprehension of what they are attempting to do.

Time to say goodbye to this thread.

Good Answers: 30
In reply to #27

05/20/2012 11:44 AM

is this Readers Digest or The New Yorker? I like it when smart people discuss smart topics that I am interested in. When people ask stupid questions, or questions that don't interest me, I feel no need to guide them through life. If you can't stand it, just say that in order to answer this question, we need more info. If you feel up to it, give some suggestions about what a smart person needs to know about the question. Check your email, feed the cat, pinch your wife, go to bed, repeat the next day. If you feel responsible for making sure that the people who post questions on the internet to supposedly super smart engineers (tongue in cheek, solareagle), you are way too uptight. Give to the Red Cross, or help an old lady across the street. It is so much more meaningful.

In reply to #29

05/20/2012 11:52 AM

Once again, you bring nothing constructive to the party.

Aside from offering life lessons where none were requested, what possible good did your self serving, all-knowing post accomplish?

Why not heed your own advice and just ignore this?

Anxiously awaiting your next pearls of wisdom.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 30
In reply to #31

05/20/2012 2:47 PM

I'm trying to ignore this, really, but I have a hard time passing an opportunity to bash the clerics. The good I'm trying to accomplish is to cajole you regulars into making CR4 more conducive to information exchange, and less about stroking your ego. I did wait for 29 posts, for God's sake.

Most of you have seen these switches on hoists or winches, but marked forward, off, reverse. (not on off on) Hold it to operate, let go, all stop.

I have seen these switches in platform sensor configuration on a telehandler. If the handler platform is level (not activating, or opening the circuits, the hydraulics can be remotely operated. This would effectively be a safety issue, as we don't want the platform moved when it is not safe to do so. Not very constructive, so I kept it to myself. Try it some time.

In reply to #29

05/20/2012 1:38 PM

My suggestion to the OP would be to find out not only how it's hooked up, but why. A couple of hours in a book or on the internet should bring him up to speed.....................at least on the basics.

See post # 5......................it's the best advice I could muster.

I don't know if it's any good, but it's what I do when tackling a project that I'm not familiar with. So far it's worked well.

In reply to #29

05/20/2012 2:12 PM

I've got one more thing to say, and I'm out of this thread.

I hope you're in the minority. When someone gets on here and wants to play with electricity, and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of even the very basics, in my mind, we have a certain responsibility to not just throw up a diagram or throw out an answer.

For all we know, it could be a teenage kid. Think about it and reread this thread. The answers from the experts are not consistent. No one here knows what the OP wants to accomplish............................call me a wimpy do-gooder, but I feel better knowing that I at least tried to keep the death option off the table.

See ya.

In reply to #38

05/20/2012 2:20 PM

And, if pdr had bothered to go back and look at the history of youngken, they might understand our concern.

<unsubscribe>

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 105
In reply to #25

05/20/2012 12:08 PM

This is getting silly, it should end.

These guys should be on Monty Python.

In reply to #32

05/20/2012 12:17 PM

Speaking of Monty; It could be this

I'M GONE.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 22

05/20/2012 2:21 AM

In my opinion, this is a low-voltage switch: under 50V, as those for larger voltages have the terminals recessed into the insulating case. I would not use it for mains switching unless it had the voltage & current rating marked on it.

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104

05/20/2012 11:37 AM

You DO need an earth connection on the shell of the switch for safety. I am amazed that only one person has told you this!

In reply to #28

05/20/2012 11:49 AM

You DO need an earth connection on the shell of the switch for safety

Not really.

I've wired many switches of this type with no special consideration for earthing.

This type of switch is usually mounted on a metal panel or chassis which is presumably earthed.

Even if it's mounted on a plastic case, there is no need to ground the metal shell. The 6 legs of the switch are completely distinct from the shell.

Your typical SPST wall switch from Home Depot has an earthing screw because the code requires it. The type of switch at the heart of this thread does not.

If you feel otherwise, please demonstrate an instance which would cause a short or electrical shock that would be prevented with earthing.

But as I stated earlier the OP needs to elaborate on the application.

k-g

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #30

05/20/2012 2:05 PM

Grounding the chassis is required for safety only if one has a lethal electric voltage available on any of the wires ("main" is likely lethal) and one does not want to receive a Darwin award. Now it is rare for the failure mode of a switch to have the metallic toggle to suddenly connect to any of the contact inside. However, it has happened many times. You, kimberlygretchen, have just been lucky to not kill somebody.

Good Answers: 252

05/20/2012 1:10 PM

Answer: With copper wire.

In reply to #34

05/20/2012 2:07 PM

Don't forget to remove a short piece of insulation on each copper wire.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819
In reply to #37

05/21/2012 10:33 AM

Yes. That would help.

In reply to #47

05/21/2012 10:59 AM

If the guy (gal?) needs instructions on how to wire a switch, then they need instructions that include stripping the wire. Maybe I should include the idea that there are wire stripping standards by the SAE and others to make a robust answer. Come to think of it... nobody mentioned that UL has several wiring standards, including an appliance standard.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819
In reply to #48

05/21/2012 11:22 AM

<...need instructions that include stripping the wire...>

Yes. That would help.

Good Answers: 18

05/20/2012 2:49 PM

Hello youngken,

My suggestion to you would be 'don't connect it' and rather give the job to somebody who actually knows what they are doing! I am not trying to be insulting but if you are struggling to connect up a simple switch then rather stick to what you do know - it's safer for you and anybody who might use this switch!

Hi to all the Guru's

I agree with a lot of the replies that warn against giving information to somebody who is unable to provide a question with sufficient detail or is obviously out of their depth regarding the technicalities involved in their query. I was however surprised that this question did provide an opportunity for several posters to elaborate on various solutions without knowing any further details until eventually the thread deteriorated into a 'cake fight'. I support the recommendation to put an end to this thread and in future resist the temptations to try and guess what the OP has in mind or whether they have the knowledge to use the advice obtained.

I enjoy the interaction between the knowledgeable members of CR4 (and there are many whose knowledge and advice I respect) however questions like this are so basic that I doubt whether the OP should be on the other side of the screwdriver in this case.

Unfortunately in today's world the DIY craze has removed any fear of the dangers involved in working on 'Mains' voltages and sooner or later I expect to hear of someone wanting instructions on how to carry out his own appendectomy!

Be afred! Be very afred!!!

In reply to #41

05/20/2012 4:06 PM

"

• On February 15, 1921, Dr. Evan O'Neill Kane carried out his own appendectomy in an attempt to prove the efficacy of local anaesthesia for such operations. He is believed to have been the first surgeon to have done so.[5] In 1932, he performed an even more risky self-operation of repairing his inguinal hernia at the age of 70.[6]
  • On April 30, 1961, Dr. Leonid Rogozov removed his own infected appendix at the Soviet Novolazarevskaja Research Station in Antarctica, as he was the only physician on staff. The operation lasted one hour and 45 minutes.[7][8] Rogozov later reported on the surgery in the Information Bulletin of the Soviet Antarctic Expedition.[9]

At four o'clock on the morning of his surgery, he disinfected his dormitory room with spray disinfectant and alcohol and draped an area with sheets that he had previously sterilized. For anesthesia, he took oral barbiturates. He also took hydrocortisone and prepared a canister of vaporized adrenalin, readying himself for a possible shock syndrome. He performed the procedure wearing sterile gloves and a surgical mask. Lying supine and looking into strategically placed mirrors to obtain an optimum view, he began by cleansing his abdomen with alcohol. The incision was made with a scalpel, exposure obtained by retractors, and the dissection carried out with surgical instruments. Lidocaine hydrochloride was injected into each successive tissue layer during the opening. He controlled bleeding with locally applied gelatin powder, while sterilized cotton thread ligatures were used for the larger vessels. After eight hours he had had minimal blood loss but was unable to obtain adequate exposure to enter the retroperitoneal space because of the unexpected pain in retracting his liver. Exhausted, he bandaged his wound, cleaned up his room, and called the police for transport to the hospital because of a "rupture".[10]

• In 2000, a Mexican woman, Inés Ramírez, was forced to resort to self-surgery - a Caesarean section - because of lack of medical assistance during a difficult labour: "She took three small glasses of hard liquor and, using a kitchen knife, sliced her abdomen in 3 attempts ... cut the uterus itself longitudinally, and delivered a male infant. Both mother and child reportedly survived and are now well."[12]"
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-surgery

05/21/2012 4:16 AM

Dear Youngken,

My suggestion is:

1.Follow the manufacturer switch installation/wiring manual if any,or

2.You may use a multimeter to determine the switch contacts,that is ON/OF positions.Since you have enabled to name the switch terminals,i.e 1,2,3,4,5 and six, no any diffilcut again.

3.The more importance:Check the Voltage and Load current of the switch if can drive the load(device(s)) you want to run.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Commentator

05/21/2012 9:56 AM

if anyone doesnt know how to wire this switch,let alone for what and what voltage, amps, AC or DC BEST leave it to someone who knows what he is doing.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 18

05/24/2012 4:40 AM

Hi all,

I am amazed by the amount of responses this generated (not all on topic) but not a peep out of youngken to any of the answers or questions.

John

In reply to #50

05/24/2012 10:17 AM

Happens all the time here.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

GM1964 (1); HiTekRedNek (1); jesw55 (1); JIMRAT (2); Keith Grewar (1); kimberlygretchen (3); kramarat (9); lyn (10); Mizuti (1); PFR (2); pillay (1); PWSlack (2); RDGRNR (1); redfred (5); ronseto (2); SolarEagle (3); StandardsGuy (1); THOBIAS MABUGO (1); TonyS (2); Tornado (1); WJMFIRE (1)

Previous in Forum: Negative Watts   Next in Forum: Spares of Control Techniques Inverter Unidrive 3405

Advertisement