Previous in Forum: Printed Parts for Airplanes and Autos?   Next in Forum: Are We Missing Nearly All Nearby Planets?
Close
Close
Close
31 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

Trajectory of Earth Round the Sun!

07/24/2012 8:34 AM

NEWTON's INTERPRETATION OF KEPLER's LAWS

• Look up http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/circles/u6l4a.cfm
  • Newton's explanation laws of force of attraction between two heavenly bodies states that force F between tow bodies with mass m1 and m2 separated by a distance d between them is
    • F= G* m1 * m2/ (d^2) where G is a constant.
  • Now let us see what happened when M1 is a solid mass m1, while m2 has a solid mass with a fluid surface. This is similar to earth with a he sea (water in the ocean) being attracted by Sun (may be too huge consisting of solid + gas) and moon.
    • Every one is aware that sea tides are very high on New moon day when both Sun and moon are on same side of the earth. You also have high tides (slightly lesser on Full moon day when the Sun and moon are on opposite sides of the earth.
    • Though Sun itself has gaseous mass, the effect of earth and all planets on it are tiny fraction to cause large changes on its activity (I have not done such a great study- and I hope I am right)
  • Now coming to another aspect - where the surface of m2 is solid and core is liquid (molten lava). What is the effect of this force between m1 and m2? Does it alter distance d? Does that mean it causes a wobble in the rotational path of heavenly body around the Sun!!!
  • We came to know of Venus transiting in front of the Sun which can be seen from earth only after another hundred years!!!! That means the rotational path of all the planets have a short term and an extremely long term cycle!
  • Is there a unique position of all planets around the Sun - which gets repeated again- how many centuries later does it occur?
  • Can this be used to explain environmental issues on earth - short and long term- heavy rains and draught periods? Or is it based only on Carbon content and other pollutants caused by human activity?
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

Re: Trajectory of Earth Round the Sun!

07/24/2012 9:09 AM

You should switch to less active smoking materials....

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 936
In reply to #1

07/24/2012 9:56 AM

Shame on you, Tornado.

Scattered enthusiasm should not be teased.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 936

07/24/2012 9:53 AM

You have too many different topics here for a coherent discussion. Please narrow your topic for discussion to a more practical range of ideas.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

07/24/2012 10:05 AM

...and try switching to decaf.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

07/24/2012 10:08 AM

There is a 5:8 correlation between the Earth and Venus. (This was part of the Venus myth that Dan Brown exploited in his book 'The Da Vinci Code').

Every 8 years, Venus returns to almost the exact same spot in the sky. Within that 8 year period Venus reaches inferior conjunction (lined up between the Earth and the Sun) five times. If you plot Venus' path as though you were looking down from the North Ecliptic Pole, Venus' orbit would make a rounded pentagram shape (or 5-pointed star shape) with respect to the Earth's orbit.

The only other correlation, or perhaps coincidence, that I am aware of is that the Sun has a 12 year sunspot cycle and Jupiter has an orbit around the Sun with a period of 12 years.

As far as I know, neither of these coincidences has any bearing on the Earth's climate.

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1031
In reply to #5

07/25/2012 6:01 AM

Some of these integer ratios are probably due to orbital resonances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_resonance

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

In reply to #14

07/25/2012 7:53 AM

Yes, and you can remove the word 'probably'.

In reply to #16

07/25/2012 2:25 PM

One curious fact is that the time between successive Venus-Earth conjugations is almost exactly 5 Venus Solar Days. In other words, the same side of Venus faces the Earth on closest approach. It's much too far away for tidal force, which drops off as the cube of distance, to lock the rotation. Apparently, it's a very strange coincidence.

Guru

In reply to #14

07/25/2012 1:37 PM

A really good example of orbital resonances is the ring system around Saturn. Although the rings are slowly falling in toward Saturn, they would have disappeared eons ago without the stabilizing influence of Saturn's moons. Some of the rings take on a braided appearance due to the perturbations from 'shepherd moons'.

The large gap, Cassini's Division, is due to an orbital resonance with Saturn's moon Mimas. And there are other less dramatic resonances in the ring system.

Photo from NASA/JPL

Good Answers: 1662

07/24/2012 11:38 AM

Nothing will explain environmental issues on earth to everyone's satisfaction.

It depends on whether you make your living (or take money for other favors) from the petroleum or coal industry, or not.

Talk to an astronomer, or an astrologist, or a shaman, and see if they can understand your question.

Active Contributor

07/24/2012 1:13 PM

According to Nassim Haramein, the earth is not revolving around the sun.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex283trHBgE&feature=related

Something new to consider.

In reply to #7

07/24/2012 1:55 PM

Doorman's Chick??????????????

Does this mean the Doorman struck pay dirt?

Welcome to CR4. I've actually heard a little about you from Kevin.

Tighten up the seat belt and come along for the ride.

Active Contributor

In reply to #8

07/24/2012 2:08 PM

Hi Lyn,

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for your support in getting my user name changed.

Pay dirt huh - just between me and you - what did Kevin tell you?

Seat belt's tightened and I'm ready to ride!!!

In reply to #7

07/24/2012 3:07 PM

He makes an interesting point, but actually in astronomy classes the instructor explains that it is even more complicated than that. Here is a section from the essay 'The Silence' by astronomer and science writer Chet Raymo, from his wonderful book 'Soul of the Night'. Raymo is describing the motions of the universe during the few moments when a young girl flew through the air after being hit by a skateboarder.

(The yellowed regions result from copying this from the Google on-line version of the essay.)

BTW, welcome to CR4, Doorman's Chick!

In reply to #10

07/24/2012 8:24 PM

I agree with Raymo - the really amazing things are real.

Thanks for the welcome Usbport!

Good Answers: 21

07/25/2012 5:44 AM

All heavenly bodies, especially Venus have a slight wobble....quite attractive actually.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817
In reply to #12

07/25/2012 5:59 AM

Don't peep!

07/25/2012 7:45 AM

I had floated another thread http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/79498?frmtrk=cr4sd#newcomments about adding fun to sports almost at the same time. I am not aware as to how much of the earth's core is fluid and how much is it solid. Now how much of various planets are similarly solid and liquid. Now given this knowledge add Newton's law of attractive force between heavenly bodies - which are not all solid. Now part liquid adds another dimension to force and the wobble. Scientists may be able to asses this better. If we get high tides during full moon and new moon days- we can see its effect in the sea water. But what about the similar effect on the liquid molten lava inside the earth??? This will give very long term cycle May be even thousands of years and may not be fully predictable - as some part of the liquid may also cool down.

Now I can really appreciate GOD/ Nature - who will never allow man to be able to predict with 100% acciracy into the future.

Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661

07/25/2012 10:31 AM

It's all caused by the motion of cats
Del

In reply to #17

07/25/2012 4:07 PM

It was Cat-astro-phic!

Good Answers: 110

07/25/2012 12:25 PM

You have several questions embedded in your 7 bullets.

1. Does it alter distance d? No.

2. How many centuries later does it occur? The planets (and our moon) essentially never (perhaps once in 180 x 10^46 years) line up in a truly straight line. But every 2 centuries, they more-or-less line up -- close enough for the whack jobs who keep predicting doom. (This is a link to another web page you can use for perspective.)

3. Can this be used to explain environmental issues on earth - short and long term- heavy rains and draught periods? No, of course not. I'd suggest a study of astronomy and gravitational physics, to understand the magnitude of forces involved.

4. Or is it based only on Carbon content and other pollutants caused by human activity? No, wrong again. I'd suggest a study of climatology (for long term changes) and meteorology (for short term changes). If you start with this Wikipedia article, you can see some of the influences on climate. Then follow the links in the footnotes to learn more.

In reply to #18

07/26/2012 12:25 AM

Scientists have reported that (1) snow in polar / Alps/ Himalayan regions seem to be melting, (2) Earth's tilt is also changing a bit & (3) Long back there was a report - will the earth's N & S poles change after a long time?

Now read what I found in my mail box - concept of Time- in a spiritual column.

The Journey Of Time

There are two laws governing the journey of time in this world.

* Firstly, the movement of time is cyclic i.e. without a beginning or an end. It is not linear i.e. a straight line with a beginning and an end, and

* Secondly, everything new undergoes degradation and becomes old at some point of time.

These two laws help us to understand the journey of time and why the world is in its present state.

We use time to attempt to measure change. One day is measured by the time taken by the earth to rotate around its axis. One day is our basic unit of measurement of time. One year is measured by the time taken by the earth to revolve around the sun. So the movement of time in our physical world is always cyclical. The cycle of the day, from dawn to daylight to dusk to night, is a movement that repeats with absolute constancy. A larger cycle is that of the seasons - from spring to summer to autumn to winter - which also repeat in the same way. When we become a detached observer and look at the 'big picture' of human history, we see an even larger cycle, the eternal world cycle of time - a cycle that moves from the day of humanity (where everything is positive on a physical as well as spiritual level) to the night of humanity and then back to the day of humanity to repeat again. But to believe and understand that picture completely, we first need to understand the second law of time and also connect it with the first law.

Tomorrow we shall explain the second law of time.

Reply Off Topic (Score 3)
Guru

In reply to #24

07/26/2012 12:29 AM

You've lost all connection with reality.

You must be off your meds. Get help soon!!!!!!

Guru

In reply to #24

07/26/2012 3:58 AM

time is your mind product to keep your "self" (another mind product) active ((while such activity is practical for relative system state ("you" need to get speciffic change)))

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #24

07/26/2012 4:10 AM

To the music then (fortissimo)...1,2,3

Now we know our ABC, we'll have to learn our XYZ....

Guru

Good Answers: 110
In reply to #24

07/26/2012 11:33 AM

I wonder if you meant to post this elsewhere. It seems to have nothing to do with my post, to which you are ostensibly responding, nor does it have anything to do with your original questions.

You have another question, I guess:

(3) Long back there was a report - will the earth's N & S poles change after a long time?

Of course they change. They are constantly in motion. They change even after relatively short periods of time.

Is there a point you are trying to make?

07/25/2012 4:25 PM

The moon causes tides on the Earth. This frictional coupling causes angular momentum to be transferred from the earth's rotation to the Moon-Earth system. The day is becoming slightly longer and the Moon is moving farther from the Earth.

The orbital planes of Venus and the Earth are slightly different. For Venus to cross in front of the sun, it has to be closest to earth close to the line where the planes intersect. This is why it does not happen often.

The only planets that might be in resonant orbits (repeating) are Neptune and pluto (if that still counts). The are moons in the solar system that are in resonant orbits, most notably 3 of Jupiter's moons.

Lastly, this has nothing to do with rains, draughts, CO2, or pollution.

Guru

Good Answers: 115

07/25/2012 5:00 PM

Ignore the cruel people. It doesn't matter, for they are even wrong about 2012.

If for whatever reason our electronics get zapped, and assuming we survive the 'flare', I'd give survival time as <1 week.

America (wherelse) has a very firm believer base in this. Some call it Rapture, some other things.

Many moons on neighbouring planets are ripped to **** by gravity (gravity earth tide that would make your nether regions squeak). Meteor impacts occur that would blitz out tiny rock.

Couldn't possibly comment on all those points, but the Maya/Aztec certainly believed it and are now all gone. European giving them pox may have been a factor.

Point : We are in no position to stop such stuff right now. Rather than worry or hide in a hole, it's best to seek knowledge and solutions ?

Somewhere out there is a reasonable chance some other species has overcome such worry. Do we worry of ourselves or that 'life' exists in someplace ? I wouldn't say no to bunker location, but rate my chance slim of making it.

07/26/2012 3:49 AM

copy copy ...

[G]=N²m²/kg²
[c]=m/s
[G]=m³/(kg·s²)
[G-1]=[y]=(kg/m³)s²
[1/(cG)]=(kg/m³)/(m/s³)=matter's density/accalarations variation

dq/d@ = 1/(cG) = Const. (/!\)= 50

[dq/d@]=(kg/m³)/(m/s³)=(kg/m)/(m³/s³)="gradient" tensity/[(dV/dt)(/!\)³]

07/30/2012 2:26 PM

the effects between the solar system bodies can be ... envisioned better when you grasp the scale of it (not the simplified media clips they show in the news)

solar system scale model (by me - it's also simplified but to the scale (i hope))

this stuff is more fun (nasa's toys )

. . . ha! + Bubble-Gum Family

Good Answers: 114

07/30/2012 3:36 PM

I found the site of a group that believes WYSIWYG, the Earth is static and the Universe rotates around it. They even have a wobbling axis to explain why we have the seasons. If you think about it, Relativity says we are all entitled to our own static frame of reference, and can consider that any relative movement is by others.

I'm not going to post the link because the mods will remove this post if I do, they already did once. As a non-believer, I don't care about their religiosity just their physics but I admit that the site is all about religion.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

ci139 (3); Del the cat (1); Doorman's Chick (3); Hilton (2); K_Fry (2); Kris (1); lyn (3); passingtongreen (1); PWSlack (2); redfred (2); Rixter (3); Tornado (1); Usbport (5); xyz (2)

Previous in Forum: Printed Parts for Airplanes and Autos?   Next in Forum: Are We Missing Nearly All Nearby Planets?

Advertisement