Previous in Forum: Analog VS Digital Signal   Next in Forum: Calibration Question
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Difference of PZT and PT Transmitters

08/20/2013 2:30 AM

i came across the PZT and PT instruments,please explain the difference of these two instruments

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 809

Re: Difference of PZT and PT transmitters

08/20/2013 3:03 AM

Please explain the context in which these two different transmitters were found.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 776
In reply to #1

08/20/2013 3:34 AM

In a manual from which someone removed the glossary?

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
In reply to #2

08/20/2013 4:10 AM

Very good. Take a Team Point.

Good Answers: 272

08/20/2013 4:21 AM

Normally

PZT stands for Piezoelectric Transducer

whereas

PT stands for Pressure Transmitter

As PWSLACK says we need a little more context.

Good Answers: 1659

08/20/2013 5:11 AM

One has a "z" in it, one does not.

Use a search engine. "SE"

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

08/20/2013 6:42 AM

Are you in charge of Marketing?

Re: Difference of PZT and PT Transmitters

08/21/2013 2:09 AM

For my experiences,PT is used for PCS (process control system) and PZT is used for SDS(Shutdown system) function.am i correct?

Rgs,

khoi

Guru

In reply to #7

08/21/2013 3:28 AM

With the current level of input from the Original Poster, it is not possible to tell.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #7

08/21/2013 8:21 AM

Hai Khoi

Thanks for your reply

Yes you are Correct ,in my current project PT was wireless type connected to PCS and PZT was hardwired to ESD system.

Please advice me why not PT was hardwired and PZT was wireless,is there any merits or demerits in selecting the instruments type.

Guru

Good Answers: 111
In reply to #9

08/31/2021 7:10 AM

Whatever the details of type of PT or PZT, a "wireless" radio, optic, or acoustic coupling would be less reliable than a direct wire [maybe pneumatic] connection.

For an ESD system greater reliability would be mandatory.

There is also the desirability of different technology for ESD or back-up equipment/cross-checks.

For example, a 4-20 mA pressure transducer might be used for control with a direct wired steel diaphragm "microswitch" pressure switch for emergency shutdown ESD.

As another, a triplicated, voting shutdown system with radio connection could have all its 3 elements disabled by strong radio interference from an electrical fault.

I believe some airliners have crashed because all three of the airspeed transducers used identical pitot tubes [with inadequate heaters for conditions] which all blocked with ice simultaneously, giving equal, but high readings. Backup "truth" checks, engine speed versus altitude comes to mind, were not automatically alarmed or understood by crew leading to low airspeed and fatal stall.

Associate

08/28/2021 9:28 PM

PT - Pressure Transmitter

PZT - Pressure Transmitter(Safety, ESD, PSD)

ESD - Emergency Shut Down

PSD - Process Shut Down

Reply to Forum Thread 11 comments
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

67model (1); Anonymous Poster (1); Fegor (1); khoimngo (1); lyn (1); PWSlack (3); Randall (1); Tornado (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Analog VS Digital Signal   Next in Forum: Calibration Question

Advertisement