Previous in Forum: Is the A-10 Warthog Obsolete?   Next in Forum: Spacegun + Catcher Thoughts for Payload Transport
Close
Close
Close
30 comments
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282

Miracle Landing

02/28/2014 12:42 PM

This is a must see!

Watch this.

Talk about having a 'cool head' under these pretty extreme circumstances!

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409

Re: Miracle Landing

02/28/2014 12:50 PM

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #1

02/28/2014 12:50 PM

It looked like a model at first.

Good Answers: 206

02/28/2014 1:40 PM

routine landing

Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

In reply to #3

02/28/2014 1:50 PM

Routine landing?

Note to self: Decline any offer from Fredski to go flying... EVER!

02/28/2014 1:53 PM

How about the cajones on the operator of this machine.

Nothin' but guts!

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780
In reply to #5

02/28/2014 11:08 PM

Nonworking link.

In reply to #14

03/01/2014 12:12 AM

Huh... just checked again and works for me. Dunno.

Lyn's just gonna splash cold water on it anyway.

How about copy n' paste:
https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-ash2/v/t42/1154671_584415334942743_59020_n.mp4?oh=3fd1c83ef3390adb271a92e64a73bc88&oe=5310DFB7

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #15

03/01/2014 5:27 PM

You can't splash what you can't see.

Guru

02/28/2014 2:46 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but:

snopes.com: One Wing Plane Landing

(No reference to any part of your anatomy)

Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

In reply to #6

02/28/2014 3:22 PM

OOOOPS! Got suckered in.

I'm still not flying with Fredski!

In reply to #6

02/28/2014 3:33 PM
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918
In reply to #6

02/28/2014 7:52 PM

Nice work!

Actually, something similar happened to one of my instructors.

He had a midair mishap that clipped off his tail or a part of the plane. It flat spun upside down into a rock pile on the ground. Well, there aren't too many rock piles in the sky, but I digress.

Everyone thought he was dead (including the pilot), but the aircraft landed with the canopy between two large rocks. That doesn't happen too often.

Guru

In reply to #9

02/28/2014 9:37 PM

That was a miracle.

Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #10

02/28/2014 10:03 PM

Yes. There were other interesting stories.

One of the tow plane pilots was in a small plane when they had a bird strike. I think it was a hawk. Went right through the front window.

They called in an emergency landing and rolled it up to the hanger. They thought that was the end of it, but the bird was not dead.

Somehow it got through the prop, through the plexiglass and landed in the back of the plane without being killed.

When they go to the hanger is had a hissy-fit and both pilot and copilot bailed out of the aircraft while others pushed it into the hanger and called the game warden to fetch it.

Bird came out okay.

Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #6

03/01/2014 10:48 AM

I had seen this before, but I had not seen the Snopes response to it. Based on what little I know, it is near impossible to control a propeller driven airplane, stunt plane or not, when even part of a major control surface is missing, much less an entire wing.

So yeah, I agree with Snopes. The F-16 guy with most of right wing gone, it is possible but again, hard to control. He would also need to know what is going to happen when he drops flaps, if the flap on that side is missing, it could roll him right into the deck upside down.

In reply to #21

03/01/2014 5:07 PM

F16 with a high thrust to weight ration possible

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #26

03/02/2014 2:02 AM

Also Jet engines, little or no torque to contend with....

02/28/2014 10:17 PM

While that video was a hoax, here is a true story of an F-15 mishap that ripped the right wing off it and the pilot, Zivi Nedivi, successfully landed the aircraft.

I think he was demoted for disobeying his instructor and not ejecting, but promoted back to his rank for saving the aircraft.

In his own words...

"At some point I collided with one of the Skyhawks, at first I didn't realize it. I felt a big strike, and I thought we passed through the jet stream of one of the other aircraft. Before I could react, I saw the big fire ball created by the explosion of the Skyhawk.

"The radio started to deliver calls saying that the Skyhawk pilot has ejected, and I understood that the fireball was the Skyhawk, that exploded, and the pilot was ejected automatically.

"There was a tremendous fuel stream going out of my wing, and I understood it was badly damaged. The aircraft flew without control in a strange spiral. I reconnected the electric control to the control surfaces, and slowly gained control of the aircraft until I was straight and level again. It was clear to me that I had to eject. When I gained control I said : "Hey, wait, don't eject yet!" No warning light was on and the navigation computer worked as usual; (I just needed a warning light in my panel to indicate that I missed a wing...)." My instructor pilot ordered me to eject.

"The wing is a fuel tank, and the fuel indicator showed 0.000 so I assumed that the jet stream sucked all the fuel out of the other tanks. However, I remembered that the valves operate only in one direction, so that I might have enough fuel to get to the nearest airfield and land. I worked like a machine, wasn't scared and didn't worry. All I knew was as long as the sucker flies, I'm gonna stay inside. I started to decrease the airspeed, but at that point one wing was not enough. So I went into a spin down and to the right. A second before I decided to eject, I pushed the throttle and lit the afterburner. I gained speed and thus got control of the aircraft again.

"Next thing I did was lower the arresting hook. A few seconds later I touched the runway at 260 knots, about twice the recommended speed, and called the tower to erect the emergency recovery net. The hook was torn away from the fuselage because of the high speed, but I managed to stop 10 meters before the net. I turned back to shake the hand of my instructor, who had urged me to eject, and then I saw it for the first time - no wing !!!"

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #12

02/28/2014 10:47 PM

In thrust, we trust.

Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #13

03/01/2014 7:42 AM

One wing and a prayer.

Guru

Good Answers: 10

03/01/2014 12:58 AM

Now this is a pilot that not only knows his aircraft, knows physics inside out. So smooth it was awesome. Reminds me of Sully landing that glider in the Hudson River.

In reply to #16

03/01/2014 9:27 AM

I have to comment. no question that capt Sully demonstrated "cool under fire". I give him full credit for an excellent job landing his crippled airliner, but I think the heroic praise heaped on him was over the top. every commercial pilot out there trains in a simulator for the identical situation he and his crew found themselves in. so in fact he had performed that same set of maneuvers dozens of times before in the safety of a flight simulator. it was nice work on his part but he certainly wasn't just ad libbing, he was relying on his extensive training. his training and a world-class aircraft that was designed well, built well and well maintained saved all those lives that day.

Guru

In reply to #19

03/01/2014 10:02 AM

No he deserves it, demonstrating that safety works....... What I didn't care for is all the younger dicks...that just got their single engine pilots licenses claiming that's nothing to land a plane like the airbus on the Hudson.

To do it you have to understand your plane, so the wings don't dip.... It a lot like flying blind.

I much rather commend Sully for doing this and deservingly so, than an athlete.

In reply to #19

03/01/2014 11:35 AM

My only comment is that I wonder if some pilots, in that situation, would have tried to make it to the alternate runway choice he was given. Teterboro, I think.

I'll bet every passenger in that flight thinks he's a true hero!

Guru

In reply to #22

03/01/2014 12:02 PM
Guru

In reply to #23

03/01/2014 12:30 PM

Never the less, he was cleared to land at Teterboro..

He asked what was to his right, was told Teterboro.

Tower asked if he wanted that airport, he said yes, and then was cleared for runway 1 there.

At that point he decided he wouldn't make it and ditched.

US Airways Flight 1549 Transcript Released - AviationChatter
Page 43/44.

Guru

In reply to #24

03/01/2014 5:12 PM

There are times one can be given a number of choices, but there is only one destiny........ Its my opinion that it's best to make a decision while you still have control. Than wait until you have no control.

It's not as bad as people making arm chair should have, could haves.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

03/01/2014 4:00 AM

Its a good hoax, "Made in Germany!"......

Here is a video of the "Making of", but in German. The picture is enough though I feel....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naSZBdJoEbM

Many were taken in as it was very professionally made, just look at the camera equipment and the full film crew......

Good Answers: 2

03/01/2014 12:53 PM

Ok so its a fake. To me the original video is very impressive but there is one place where it looks dubious or fake, the point where the plane touches the ground and flips (almost magically) onto its wheels.

This type of plane is a pylon racer, their engines are so powerful that they can basically literally fly with one or even no wings. (ie like a helicopter) The difficult bit is controlling the thing, even though he still has his rudders and elevator - the engine also has tremendous torque which is constantly wanting to make it spin. Of course the really difficult bit and the point where the pilot probably dies is the landing - or crashing...

Guru

In reply to #25

03/01/2014 5:13 PM

Depending on which wing to compensate torque. If any thing, it was entertaining.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (2); Anonymous Hero (4); Doorman (4); Fredski (3); James Stewart (1); Jimh77 (1); lyn (6); phoenix911 (7); Robert Lucien (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Is the A-10 Warthog Obsolete?   Next in Forum: Spacegun + Catcher Thoughts for Payload Transport

Advertisement