Previous in Forum: Solidify Animal Fat at Above Room Temp.   Next in Forum: What Are The Small Bubbles In Boiling Water Made Of?
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Active Contributor

Formulation Degreasing Chemical

07/07/2014 5:10 PM

Can anyone suggest me the formulation of the chemical compound for preparing a bath for de-greasing mild steel sheet. The size of my bath happens to be 1200mmx3000mmx3000mm. Only 75 % of the bath is filled up while working.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1666

Re: FORMULATION DE GREASING CHEMICAL

07/07/2014 5:19 PM
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 107

Re: Formulation Degreasing Chemical

07/07/2014 11:56 PM

What has the size of the bath to do with the composition of the bath?

Just asking.

If you spilled it then refill whatever was in there before.

Also let us know what the further processing is which might have an impact on which degreaser you should use.

In reply to #2

07/20/2014 5:14 PM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE RESPONCE

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING AGAINST YOUR QUARIES

1. VOLUME OF BATH 10,000.00 LTS

2. TO BE USE AS A DE GREASING TANK TO DE GREASE MILD STEEL SHEET IN ROOM

TEMPERATURE FOR A POWDER COATING PLANTS 7 TANK PROCESS SURFACE

TREATMENT.

THANKING YOU

S.GHOSH

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 202

07/08/2014 10:30 PM

What type of grease are you degreasing? This is the first step in finding a suitable degreasing formulation.

Good Luck, Old Salt

In reply to #3

07/14/2014 2:58 PM

THE TYPE OF GREASE IS GEAR OIL,LUBRICATING OIL ,BURNED OUT AUTOMOBILE ENGINE OIL. ETC ETC

SUSANTO GHOSH

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 25

07/09/2014 6:17 AM

Normally for small components there is 7 tank process. For large sheets better to get them sand blasted. It will remove grease and rolling skin from the sheets. I do not know your further process so this is what I can suggest at the moment.

07/09/2014 8:40 AM

Hello ghosh_susanto, I do not have a chemical compound formualtion for you but rather a suggestion on a possibly much better solution for your needs, de-greasing mild steel sheet. We have supplied dry ice blasting equipment for this cleaning need and our customers have found it to be a best practice by far with side benefits of it being much faster and eliminating the use of chemicals, solvents, and water.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

07/09/2014 11:06 AM

What I use at home for degreasing any metal before MIG welding, is our dishwasher on hot!!!

But the bits I weld are not usually that big.....your bath is for me personally HUGE!!! So my tip may not be much of a help....

I just use the normal washing up powders that you can buy anywhere. I never use tabs as I cannot believe that they can do a good job on ANYTHING.....also about 4 times the price of powder compared by weight here......

I also use huge salt pellets, not salt powder from the supermarket and I only need to refill the salt holder 2 or 3 times a year. A 25 Kg (something over 50 lbs.) lasts 4 - 5 years (it might be even longer, I forget to date the bag......on my third or fourth bag since 1986 I think.....so it saves money as well as helping the environment....

Biggest problem is that mild steel so cleaned will start rusting within 24 hours, depending upon its type (not that I am an expert on types!!, but it does vary a bit!)......which must mean something with regards to how clean it is!!

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 202

07/09/2014 2:37 PM

Your first and biggest problem is that you don't state whether you want water based or a solvent based degreaser. Water based tends to rust steel if left for more than a few minutes. Solvent degreasers do a better job of degreasing but have some of the problems of vapors, flammability, cost, potential carcinogenic, removal of contaminates when recovering solvent degreaser for reuse, and potential adverse reactions of the chemicals/vapors to humans.

There are numerous water based degreasers on the market that could be used but most will rust the steel.

Some of the early solvent degreaser included, gasoline, naphtha, ethanol, methanol, kerosene, MEK, ether, and numerous others. These are all flammable and some carcinogenic. One of the first major non-flammable solvents to be used was 1,1,1-Trichloroethane. This was an excellent degreaser but was very expensive which required its immediate recovery of the vapors, which were denser than air. The normal method of use was to use an ultrasonic vapor recovery unit. Within a "tub" the solvent was heated till it vaporized. Above this, within the side walls, was a refrigeration coil which condensed the solvent which returned to the tub. The ultra sonic assisted the cleaning. Parts were placed in the solvent in the tub, raised to within the condensation area, and them raised to near the top where the solvent would drip and the vapor, heavier than air, would evaporate and sink to the solvent in the tub.

This is currently the most sophisticated method currently but with different solvents. Current solvents in use/used include: 1,1,1-trichloroethane (carcinogenic); Heptane (brake wash); tetrachloroethylene (brake wash); mineral spirits (combustibility), Ethanol (denatured); Acetone (flammability); Varsol (combustibility); Diesel fuel (combustibility); Stoddard solvent; Perc (tetrachloroethylene) (perchloroethylene); Decamethylcyclopentasilosane (volatile Methyl Siloxane); and numerous others.

If I was to conduct this sort of search the first thing would be to do a Google search for "solvent degreasers"; "degreasers for metals; and degreasers for steel. Call your dry cleaners and ask them what they use. Most productive would be to contact degreaser manufacturers.

Good Luck, Old Salt

Good Answers: 7

07/09/2014 7:44 PM

Hi Without knowing more I will just assume that nothing is very special about your situation other than you need to get oil and or Grease off of sheet metal. I used to be a fabricator and for the most part to get rid of oil and light greast that is on almost all metal as it needs to be sprayed on at the factory to help keep it from rusting. But it also contaminates the welding process. And my lungs with who knows what kind of oil and or grease was used. Now What I used more than anything else was warm water and Dawn Dishwashing detergent worked very very well. I had a large magnet and some clamps hooked to a small hand powered hydraulic lift to put the sheets in and take out. After washing I took them out of the mixture of water and Dawn dishing soap and used a electric leaf blower to quick dry the thing. IF you do this fast there is NO visible rust. And there would not be as electorlises is slow in plain water. Salt water it is almost immediate. Now. In cases with heavy grease Tide Laundey soap was the best. But I rarly had to use anything other than normal dish soap. It is cheap and works very well. Also Jay Leno ( The tonight Show ) if you are in or near the USA has an ultrasonic cleaning pan for parts and he uses the same thing I used. Just soap and water. Hell It even was great for using a light brush to remove rust that had formed on parts of the sheet steel that had managed to rust as the oil was somehow rinsed off in transit. You can go with those other sugestiongs but this way Works and leaves little residue and and most of all it cleans very well and also costs little to use. Have a great day. Hope this helps. Jim

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 7

07/09/2014 7:58 PM

Hi Again I forgot to mention. If the grease is extremely heavy then you can still use water but rather than Dawn Dishwashing detergent or if even Tide for heavy grease is not enough then you can use DisWASHER soap such as Cascade. Now keep in mind with Dawn and water it will not harm your skin. With Tide and water it can cause irritation and with Cascade you best ware gloves as it has a lot of Lye in it and will burn your skin. But all of these solutions work great as long as not in the water for more than 1 hour and as long as humidity is not so high as to have a problem drying the metal sheets. No need from what little info you gave us to use the flammable and toxic fumes stuff such as almost all degreasers and or gasoline. Again I used this for years building frames for food processing equipment. For Stainless steel this same solution is again just right. And I also understand why you mention the size of the tank. In Case someone wants to calculate how much of X and Y to mix and also in some caese if it was the size of a swimming pool and large parts we would be using different products than if a smaller amount. If you want toxic stuff then use caustic soda and or one of the many degreasers of water has you worried. And the amout of soap to water. Just put in a good squirt of the soap and it will do the job. if you are not getting suds then add more till you do. No need to rinse unless it is very important not to have any soap residue. But that never caused a problem for me. Too dilute after mixed with the water. Jim Davison

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (1); Dry ice blaster (1); ghosh_susanto (2); IdeaSmith (1); jimmyjoejetter (2); lyn (1); old salt (2); suresh sharma (1)

Previous in Forum: Solidify Animal Fat at Above Room Temp.   Next in Forum: What Are The Small Bubbles In Boiling Water Made Of?

Advertisement