Previous in Forum: Formulation Degreasing Chemical   Next in Forum: Nickel Plating Surface
Close
Close
Close
30 comments
Active Contributor

What Are The Small Bubbles In Boiling Water Made Of?

07/09/2014 6:06 PM

Please don't say Steam! I have closely studied the process of water boiling. I designed and built a low temperature alcohol distillation system that utilized a heat pump and air compressor so I do have some experience with fluid dynamics; however, I recently bought a glass water boiler and studied the progression from cold to rapid boil and noticed that there are distinctly different bubbles traveling through the water from the bottom to the top of the water. FIRST there are no bubbles. SECOND there are many small bubbles that stream from bottom to top maintaining approximately the same size. THIRD The small bubbles stop and far more very small bubbles start to rise, these bubbles are so small that they look more like a white cloud. FOURTH the steam bubbles start to form on the bottom, these are large and easy to identify as steam because they can not rise to the surface through the cooler water above the heated surface, as the steam bubbles increase and the entire body of water gets hotter, the very small bubbles stop forming and the steam bubbles are able to rise closer and closer to the surface finally reaching a full boil. So In summary : does anyone know what is contained in the TINY BUBBLES and LITTLE BUBBLES? NOTE: if it were just steam - they would not be able to maintain their size through the cooler water in the pot above the heated bottom surface! ! ! Thanx for any input Harold

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1744

Re: What Are The Small Bubbles In Boiling Water Made Of?

07/09/2014 6:15 PM

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76

07/09/2014 6:45 PM

Dihydrogen monoxide. Obviously.

Good Answers: 1663

07/09/2014 6:52 PM

It's steam. Sorry!

Water expands roughly 1,600 times in volume when it turns to steam.

That's what the tiny bubbles are, that's what the little bubbles are and that's what the big bubbles are.

The temperature gradient in the water isn't that much. Remember as water heats up it expands and rises, pushing the cooler water down to be heated, so the water is circulating and so is the heat.

There are probably You Tube demos. Do a search.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #3

07/22/2014 1:04 AM

It is clear to see that you do not have the patience to closely study a glass pot of water from the time it's cold to the time it is rapid boiling. I didn't ask the question because I missed the day in second grade when they described how water boils! I asked the question because I studied the boiling process in depth for many hours over the period of many years and realized that there are distinct differences in the bubbles that occur long before the boiling temp is reached. "Boiling water" is an arbitrary term anyway - if the entire pot were at boiling temperature, simultaneously - your house would be flying into tiny bits from the sudden explosion of steam. a pot of boiling water ..... is NOT ever entirely at boiling temperature. Please don't be condescending when you, yourself, have not done the research. Haroldoftroy

Good Answers: 130
In reply to #29

08/13/2014 3:51 AM

It can only be steam or dissolved gases coming out of solution. Have you tried it with water previously boiled to expel air? Any differences should give an indication. BTW gas boiled out of water has composition different from air e.g. higher in oxygen as solubilities at given partial pressure are different.

Good Answers: 107

07/09/2014 7:34 PM

Its small and big bubbles made of steam. If you was in charge of the filling you know there is only water in there. If in doubt try distilled water.

Almost nothing can spoil that experiment.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

07/09/2014 8:26 PM

Initially the air that is dissolved in the water will form bubbles and these will escape.

Once the water gets hot enough the bubbles are due to...

wait for it...

wait for it...

steam!; vaporized water; gaseous H2O.

Yes.

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918
In reply to #5

07/09/2014 11:08 PM

I believe you are correct. It is dissolved gasses in the water that form the small bubbles prior to reaching a full boil.

It is technically called nucleate boiling and the tiny bubbles forms on the defects on the surface of the container. Same principle when opening a soda bottle and CO2 bubbles suddenly form on the inside of the bottle.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 939
In reply to #13

07/10/2014 8:32 AM

No, nucleate boiling is still the formation of steam bubbles in water. It does happen at very localized hot spots.

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918
In reply to #15

07/10/2014 10:32 AM

Thanks for the correction. Pulling that stuff out of old memory and I guess some neuronal pathways have become crossed.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781
In reply to #15

07/10/2014 3:05 PM

Oh boy! Now I can call my teapot a "nucleate reactor" and scare people. For hicks, that would be a "nuculate reactor.

In reply to #18

07/10/2014 4:05 PM

Nuculur if you're from Arkansas.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #5

07/14/2014 10:57 AM

Since the OP did not mention the nature or intensity of his heat source, nor any pressure on this system, I shall add to the discussion of dissolved light solutes (gases) "boiling" out of solution, first by stating if you have a solution of sodium bicarbonate in degassed water (start under good vacuum), and vigorously heat with a high temperature source very rapidly, then the dissolved salt in this case will disproportionate to carbon dioxide ("boils" out of solution), and sodium carbonate.

There are a number of thermally labile compounds called pyrolytic salts (as ammonium bicarbonate example) that "boil" out of solution well below the normal boiling point of water. One cannot "observe" a system and make conclusions about it without a proper definition of the system. So, Mr. OP, please do go ahead and define the system.

Did you know that water with a colloidal suspension of carbon or gold nanopaticles in it will boil and exert steam pressure when concentration sunlight is present, even though bulk water temperature is no where near the boiling point?

Guru

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 122

07/09/2014 8:36 PM

Unless you are boiling pure water, the bubbles could consist of whatever other fluids are mixed with the water.

The temperature at which each fluid begins to boil (boiling point) would be different depending on the specific gravity of each fluid and what type of molecular bonding has occurred between the combined fluids.

Therefore; in order to submit a semi-intelligent wag as to the composition of each bubble formed there is a lot more chemical DATA acquisition required and a much higher resolution of temperature control.

Guru

Good Answers: 109
In reply to #6

07/09/2014 9:04 PM

You are correct in part and GA. Usbport intimated what follows in his post. There are many compounds that can dissolve in water and is referred to as solubility. Most gases such N2, CO2, O2, NH3, NH4, H2S, etc are more soluble at lower temperatures. These compounds will be less soluble as the water is heated and be driven out of solution by temperature. Pressure can also be a factor affecting solubility. The initial bubbles will be made of these gases. You can look up solubility curves for most compounds and can be compared to temperature. There are also saturation points where no further increase in the water can be achieved at a standard temperature.

Once the initial run of bubbles made by the dissolved gases from air or from subterranean sources have been exhausted and the temperature of the water gets higher or approaches the boiling point at 100 degrees C, the pressure in the water nears the atmospheric pressure. The result is then steam and is a big part of the bubbles. As you go higher in altitude, atmospheric pressure decreases and so does the boiling point.

In reply to #7

07/09/2014 9:09 PM

He said, "what time is it".

We tell him how to build a watch!

Come on, let's not beat this into the ground.

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
In reply to #8

07/09/2014 9:27 PM

Yep, but the OP didn't want to hear that the bubbles are just steam.

My question is; "What are all of the small and large bubbles in a hot tub?"

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #11

07/09/2014 9:39 PM

They're very friendly bubbles.

Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 427
In reply to #11

07/11/2014 12:21 AM

Some of those bubbles could be a mixture of CH4, H2S, and CO2.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781
In reply to #23

07/11/2014 3:42 AM

There is a legend about how Walla Walla, WA, USA was named....

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #11

07/18/2014 12:21 PM

[ My question is; "What are all of the small and large bubbles in a hot tub?" ]

That depends, is the tub occupied at the moment? Could the bubbles have been generated internally by one of the occupants?

Sometimes I think that's why hot tums are chlorinated to "washing hospital linens" level, not to kill the microbes, but to bur out everyone's sense of smell so they don't realize when one of 'those' bubbles reaches the surface.

Or I could simply be firing ideas out of my -but I digress.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #27

07/19/2014 4:55 PM

The long lasting bubbles in a running hot tub is the results of body oils and scum off your body. That's why they sell defoaming agents for hot tubs.

Good Answers: 109
In reply to #8

07/09/2014 11:41 PM

Sorry but I couldn't think of a short "Jeopardy " answer in the form of a question.

In reply to #7

07/09/2014 9:22 PM

Better answer by far.

Hopefully the OP gets as much out of this as I have.

Thanks!

07/09/2014 9:19 PM

Water boils in several stages, too.

Guru

Good Answers: 102

07/10/2014 8:57 AM

Here's a good article (one of few from eHow).

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 69

07/10/2014 4:54 PM

Must be some really good stuff your smoking to have the patience to sit there and analyze and wonder about all those bubbles. I wonder what they use on the "Lawrence Welk's Show"? They were big bubbles too but I don't think they were steam.

But then I never did like that show, and didn't have any of the good $hit back then,to give me the patience, and so I couldn't sit there and analyze them

Good Answers: 253

07/10/2014 11:02 PM

Steam(water vapor) is invisible to the naked eye.

What you call steam is really condensed water vapor.

The bubbles are water vapor or entrained gases.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 202

07/11/2014 12:03 AM

The initial bubbles when water is heated is nominally:

Nitrogen -- N2 -- 78.084%, Oxygen -- O2 -- 20.9476%, Argon -- Ar -- 0.934%, Carbon Dioxide -- CO2 -- 0.0314%, Neon -- Ne -- 0.001818%, Methane -- CH4 -- 0.0002%, Helium -- He -- 0.000524%, Krypton -- Kr -- 0.000114%, Hydrogen -- H2 -- 0.00005%, Xenon -- Xe -- 0.0000087% (Air that was dissolved in the water)

When it starts to approach the boiling point, the bubbles that rise are: the vapor phase of Dihydrogen monoxide (oxidane). There are also trace amounts of deuterium monoxide in the liquid. This is plain old ordinary water.

Ice cubes are the solidified state of the above.

Good Luck, Old Salt

07/11/2014 6:36 PM

You seem to have a penchant for observation versus theory. Why don't you try observing pure water - distilled, filtered - in a clean container and see what happens?

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 30 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (1); Anonymous Hero (2); bigg (1); Brave Sir Robin (1); Codemaster (1); Crabtree (1); dj95401 (2); Haroldoftroy (1); HiTekRedNek (1); IdeaSmith (1); James Stewart (1); jwatersphd (1); kevinm (2); lyn (3); old salt (1); redfred (3); SHOCKHISCAN (3); SolarEagle (1); Tornado (2); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Formulation Degreasing Chemical   Next in Forum: Nickel Plating Surface

Advertisement