CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: A Bit of Silver in a Lot of Water   Next in Forum: Buying and Installing a Load Meter
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

7 comments
Active Contributor

Canadian Snow Load Map

06/10/2008 10:58 AM

Can anyone provide me with a copy of the Canadian Snow Load map or at least steer me to a location where i can get it? I need it for a sunshade project.

Thanks,

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: manufacturing mechanical engineering
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 3

Re: Canadian Snow Load Map

06/11/2008 2:21 AM

None of the Google links had the info you want?

http://www.google.com/search?q=Canadian+Snow+Load+map

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/Magazine/jf03/alacarte.asp

Normalized ground snow load maps are also available for most of Canada from the Atmospheric Environment Service (AES) in Downsview, Ontario. ...

Google (or your favorite search engine) is always the first place to look! I just hi-lited your Canadian Snow Load Map and drug it into Google and hit Enter. Just click on the first link above to see all those results.

Welcome to CR4, it's a fun place to be most of the time!

Ken

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 73

06/11/2008 9:02 AM

You don't say where in Canada your project is located. If it were in Alberta, you should get a copy of the Alberta Building Code. This provides ground snow load in many localities within the province. It also provides design factors for roofs, taking into account drifting snow, etc. For other Canadian provinces, I believe similar provincial codes apply.

We also have a National Building Code which, purportedly show snow loads for all of Canada, but I don't have a copy of the latest edition, so I am not sure how comprehensive their list is.

"Commentary G Snow Loads" in "NBC 2005 Structural Commentaries" states that ground snow loads for selected locations are presented in NBC Table C-2, Design Data for Selected Locations in Canada in Appendix C of Division B.

Perhaps you could narrow the search down a bit by telling us where your project is located.

06/11/2008 9:09 AM

It's inToronto. I requested the Canadian Snow load map becuase my company makes products that are sold internationaly. By getting something that covers all of Canada i would have the necessary information if needed for furure jobs.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 73

06/11/2008 9:27 AM

Then I would recommend that you order the National Building Code 2005 complete with User's Guide - NBC 2005 Structural Commentaries (Part 4 of Division B). You can order these from the National Research Council of Canada. Make sure to tell them you want it in English or you may get the French edition.

In reply to #4

06/11/2008 9:36 PM

ba/el better than good reply, we have butted heads before on other things there is no way to argue about this response.

'da ber

Register to Reply
Power-User
Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Location: In a mushroom field somewhere in Canada. Kept in the dark and fed sh--, well you know.

06/17/2008 1:10 PM

If you are looking for the actual snowfall amounts in certain regions in Canada, then try the Environment Canada website.

If you are looking for technical specifications for the dead and live snow loads on roof structures, you will have to visit your local city/town hall and get access to your provinces' Building Codes. You should find a table with design criteria of roofs for the expected snow loads in your area.

Anonymous Poster

12/14/2009 11:00 AM

There are online calculators that could help you.

For example: www.jabacus.com

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Register to Reply 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); ba/ael (2); MrChevy (1); tclark (1); unclefastguy (1)

Previous in Forum: A Bit of Silver in a Lot of Water   Next in Forum: Buying and Installing a Load Meter

Advertisement