Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: valentina tersherkova   Next in Forum: What interfacing device can be used between a simulation and a hardware?
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

7 comments
Anonymous Poster

infrared quartz heater

09/21/2008 8:33 AM

With winter not far away ,I was wandering if anyone has purchased an "edenpure" infrared heater? Does it really heat as claimed? Is it worth the initial expenditure? I have a 24 X 30 work shop and have been heating it with propane and electrical heaters. From the brochure I received from the edenpure company this looks like just what I need. I live just south of Chicago and it can get real cold here in the winter.

oilcan13

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 23

Re: infrared quartz heater

09/21/2008 2:06 PM

" Heater is approximately 5000 BTUs. The BTUs are basically irrelevant as a unit of measure since the patented "

The preceding is just one of the misleading or plain untrue statement on the manufacturer's website. BTUs are a common measurement for heating and cooling capability. To say BTU is irrelevant is passed misleading. However if the manufacturer has patented a process that circumvents the laws of physics I would have to question why they have limited its application to space heaters.

My previous statement is also somewhat misleading, they've not claimed to be circumventing the laws of physics, they use a lot of half truths to support their position.

What you have is a very expensive resistive heater. Though the unit does have some good qualities, such as the lower temperature of its elements being unable to ignite combustibles, several considerably less expensive units offer the same features.

There are several twisted truths mentioned in its advertising. It uses less energy to produce heat, all electric heaters are basically 100% efficient, all the electricity the device uses is converted to heat, gas and oil heaters lose some of their heat through venting, but generally the energy source is much less expensive.

No electric heater removes oxygen, or humidity from the room.

In A properly installed built-in gas or oil fired heating system the carbon monoxide and other combustion byproducts are vented outside, and combustion air is replaced by fresh outside air via code required ducting.Therefore there is no change in the net oxygen available inside the heated environment. As long as a combustion-based system is properly installed and maintained no carbon monoxide infiltration or reduction in available oxygen will occur in the target environment.

About the only true statement is that gas or oil he can reduce relative humidity. However during the winter months in areas that regularly run below freezing ambient temperatures relative humidity is extremely low to begin with. Many people humidified their indoor environments intentionally in these areas no matter what type of heat they use.

Radiate heat devices are useful in that the air does not necessarily have to be heated for a person to feel warmer, however this device seems to promote air transfer also. Most economical electric heaters also do that, and also reflect radiate heat , and cost 1/10 as much to purchase. All currently manufactured portable strip heat devices employ some sort of safety system, that will shut them down in the event of turning over or overheating. So my answer is I wouldn't spend the money.

Send the device back, by a high quality radiant heater, or forced air portable strip heater, and used the money you save to pay your electric bill.

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #1

09/22/2008 7:25 PM

ywroadrunner; your right about the electric heat & humidity, how ever the gas company
sends plenty of water vapor in its line to to your gas range that emits humidity into your/living area perry

Guru

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #2

09/22/2008 8:12 PM

Hello Perry:

You're absolutely right water vapor is a natural part of the combustion process. I was thinking about a gas furnace rather than a range, all the combustion byproducts are vented outside in the case of a furnace.

In reply to #1

09/27/2008 8:47 AM

Thanks for the info. I havn't purchased one yet and what I have read from the replies I don't think I will. Since I'm not in the shop 8 hours a day and I don't keep the heat on overnight I will stick with the electric heaters that I currently have plus a propane supplement for the really cold days.

oilcan13

Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 218

10/06/2008 7:53 AM

I have not purchased an Edenpure but have several Infrared Quartz Heaters. For a work shop they work well. As the Infrared light warms objects in the room. Light in the infrared spectrum that these heaters are emitting strikes surfaces and warms them. These surfaces then warm the air around them. Since you are one of the objects you feel immediate warmth from this type heater.

10/06/2008 8:01 PM

Thanks for all the detail,Good to know stuff.Haven't bought,won't buy.

Anonymous Poster

06/11/2010 12:21 PM

I don't believe they are worth the money. Sure, they are safe and thermostatically controlled, but you can buy a $40.00 heater at Home Depot that does the same thing. For a 24 x 30 workshop, you need more heat (BTU's) than what the Eden Pure can provide. It only generates 1500 W (5,119.5 BTU's). You need about 5 times that much for your workshop space. Assuming that your space is insulated, you may be able to take the chill off a bit with one Eden Pure. But I do not think it is practical to expect it to heat your entire space quickly or effectively.

Scott

getheat@msn.com

http://www.infraredinfo.com

http://www.heatersunlimited.com

Reply to Forum Thread 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); clb111 (1); ozzb (1); perry (1); YWROADRUNNER (2)

Previous in Forum: valentina tersherkova   Next in Forum: What interfacing device can be used between a simulation and a hardware?
You might be interested in: Infrared Heaters, Radiant Heater Elements