CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Scientists Write Guide To Build Supercomputer From Sony Playstation 3   Next in Forum: IETE Metereal
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

60 comments
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 11

Three computers & One Internet. How to fix this?

12/19/2008 6:28 PM

We have three computers and only one high speed internet link Two of the three computers have built in wireless, so I think a wireless router might be appropriate. I can easilly put a wireless adapter on the third computer. I assume that the cable modem (internet link) would be hard wired to the router. This would give internet access to all three computers BUT What if we need internet access by two computers at the same time? I suspect this would give the system fits. Would it not? Do I need to have the cable company install a second high speed modem, and could I hardwire it also into the router? Eventually I would like to put the printers on the LAN also, but that is low priority. I also wonder if anyone has published a book called "Networking for Dummies".

Much Thanks

Bill

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 24

Re: Three computers & One Internet. How to fix this?

12/19/2008 6:43 PM

Hello Bill:

The answer to the first part of your question is that a wireless router would be appropriate. Let me also add that most wireless routers also allow for a wired connection using your standard cat 5 cable, so of the computer is close go ahead and hardwired it to the router, and save yourself the expense of buying a wireless card.

As far as your assumption of the modem and the router being a hard connection you're correct. A caveat when connecting a router to the modem, some of the newer modems are capable of identifying themselves and logging on to the ISP, routers also have this capability, only one can be used to log onto the ISP, the feature must be disabled when setting up the other.

If you have to logon to your ISP via software in your computer then your modem does not have this capability, if your modem automatically logs on obviously it does.

Your third question or supposition that more than one computer accessing the Internet simultaneously is something you don't need to worry about, there will be no problems with computers accessing the Internet at the same time other computers on your network are accessing the Internet, if you have a slow connection and are downloading large files on all three computers you may notice the downloads going a little slower than usual, however it appears you're using a cable company as your ISP provider and generally their connection speeds are fast enough that this will be a nonissue, you will probably never notice the difference even of all three computers are downloading simultaneously.

You only require the one modem, there is no need to install a second modem.

There are printers capable of of directly connecting to the network, generally however I network my computers, and their printers through the computers, so I can print on any printer on the network from any computer, the downside is the computer that the printer is connected to must be on for this to be accomplished, this is not necessary you've you use a network capable printer.

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 361
In reply to #1

12/19/2008 7:13 PM

GA, YW - pretty much what I'd have said, but you got there first.

I use my (wireless-enabled) laptop both on my home network (I work from home a lot of the time) and with the network of my main contractor1 when I'm factory commissioning stuff. I also connect my old (Windows ME) laptop at home, using a CardBus card.

Both networks have printers tied to the PCs, which can be a pain, when (e.g.) I'm in my bedroom with laptop, & want to print stuff on a printer connected to the upstairs PC (which happens to be the one hardwired to the router2, but which is switched off at the time).

I haven't yet achieved my ambition of being able to set up office in the pub across the road, because (despite being able to use my home phone handset there), I can't get the laptop to find the router. I think the problem is that the laptop is wireless G - some day I'll try it with an N1 card.

1 I sub to them!

2 Belkin N1.

In reply to #3

12/19/2008 7:23 PM

Hello John:

I'm glad I got that first, you got a lot of good answers, I still look like a dummy.

Working from the pub across the street, a reasonable goal, and apparently great minds think alike, I don't know if you've ever read much about Richard Feynman, but he used to do some of his work at a topless bar, I'm sure it was not a security issue as most of the ladies that work at these facilities were not hired for their familiarity with nuclear physics or quantum mechanics.

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #4

12/19/2008 7:57 PM

6/419 ≈1.43%, 41/2509 ≈ 1.63% - statistically significant? Nya! One more GA & you'll be ahead.

Done lots of good work already in the pub over the years, but it would be nice to be able to access the 'library' & keep in touch. Texting (home phone/mobile) or mobile web isn't practical. Can sometimes grab a bit of time on an unsecured network, but it's a bit of a gamble.

Don't think Feynman had much to worry about - where could they hide a wire ?

United Kingdom - Member - Not a new member!

Good Answers: 77
In reply to #3

12/23/2008 6:43 PM

Hello JohnDG:

You more or less answered your own query.............You need the same Radio/wireless transceiver in at least one of you computers as you have in your Laptop.

Can I ask a question?..................Do you have wireless or a choice of wireless connection to your printers? Because I think they would probably need the same sort of wireless connection as your Laptop and/or desktop computers?

But, then, it is not likely you would want to have wireless printing done while in your 'office' at the pub?............I do not drink but if I did that sounds a pretty good arrangement to me!...............And you may need the the dark specs after a day at 'that office?

Take care and have a wonderful holiday!..................

In reply to #26

12/23/2008 8:08 PM

Hi, bb,

I have no trouble using the laptop with the wireless router (I'm currently in my bedroom with the laptop; the router is in the office upstairs) - my problem is getting enough range to wander over the road. Can't work up enough energy to scan the picture on the box the router came in now, but it shows G (as my laptop) with next-room range, and N1 (as the router) with into-the-garden range.

The scale Belkin use goes G G+ N N1.

Neither of my printers has wireless connectivity - I've an ancient Canon A3 B/W (slow, but handy for cct diagrams), and an HP A4 all-in-one - both cable connected to my desktop PC.

My daughter's laptop, and my old laptop, are also 'wirelessed' to the router (hence internet, and printers when the PC is on). It's handy to be able to shoot the occasional couple of pages to the printer from one of the laptops, for collection later (to be included in e.g. a homework submission), and to swap stuff between any of the machines connected and switched on.

My two main reasons for wanting to wireless the laptop to the router from the pub are 1) internet connection, and 2) access to my PC HDD.

I have an external (USB) HDD which I keep all my work on - this is sync'd to my PC (and multiply backed up) - but I don't want to get myself all confused by sync'ing it to my laptop as well, and I'm not going to risk sitting in the pub with an external HDD dangling from the laptop.

Running out of steam here, so g'night.

John

Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 17
In reply to #1

12/20/2008 11:09 PM

GA. This is exactly how I have the computers in my house setup. I am running 4 simultaneously.

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #1

12/21/2008 2:12 AM

Thanks a bunch YW!! Now that I got my head back together... Of course only one modem is needed... This is PACKET communications!! Each packet has all the info to go to the right place. Somewhere around here, I have a copy of the original X-25 (packet) specification, but I havent looked at it in years.

The computer which doesn't have wireless might have a spare USB port, and I have an adapter for USB to 802.11G. That should handle my needs for that machine. Anyhow...

Thanks a Bunch

Bill

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #1

12/21/2008 6:55 PM

Hello YWROADRUNNER:

I know you have 6 already but heres another GA. Very well explained!

I did not know about disabling either the modem, or routers ability to log on?

Take care and have a wonderful holiday!

In reply to #16

12/21/2008 9:20 PM

Hello babybear:

I've recently learned about smart modems in a school of hard knocks, the shop I was working for finally got DSL, when I set up their network several months ago I had major problems, the router kept disconnecting from the ISP.

Of course I frequently ignore my own advice, and do not thoroughly read the manuals, after all I have set up networks and routers several times. After returning one router, and several hours of of pounding my head against the wall I called tech support, guess what their new modem had come pre-programmed to log on to the ISP, and of course I'd set up the router to log on to the ISP, once tech support told me where my problem was it was a simple matter of disabling the logon feature in the modem and everything worked just like it supposed to.

After a one-hour job turned into six hours, I realize I had broken my own rule, when all else fails read the manual , you have to , damn engineers are always changing things, and when it has to do with computers things seem to change weekly.

PS: Thanks for the flowers, but I can't take credit for being smart, just well schooled in hard knocks.

Hope you have a good Christmas.

In reply to #18

12/21/2008 10:46 PM

Hello YWROADRUNNER:

you say never mind the flowers or something............but I have never seen this advice you have just given anywhere.

As you say the set up time is perhaps an hour, for me make it 3 hours, but when it starts turning into a working day, either something is broken, so you spend time changing cables etc, and double checking everything several times!

Can get very frustrating when you try something you have done before and .....NOTHING! I am sure what you actually typed will help a lop of people, and, of course will now become the 'norm'!

12/19/2008 7:08 PM

Forgot to answer the last part of your question, I'm sure there are some books available, however when you get all parts in hand I think you will be able to accomplish this with a little online coaching.

The most important thing will be to read the router manual thoroughly, you will probably have to enable the wireless capability of your router via its software, or least this was the case with the first wireless router I bought. Therefore it is advantageous to have one computer hardwired to the router, this also provides easy access to the router should you goof up the security for your wireless protection.

Next item when setting up your wireless network, most routers default to being unsecured, which means anybody can access your network, and also intercept any data sent across your wireless network. Setting the wireless encryption protocols is a must, just a little reading, and depending on which protocol you select you merely have to enter a encryption phrase, and the software will do the rest, the same phrase must be entered in all the wireless devices.

It all sounds complicated, however once you do it for the first time, you realize it's pretty straightforward. When you have the parts in hand and have read the manual for the router, I'm sure many of us would be happy to answer any questions you have as to the setup. One final caveat is if the computers are relatively close together then the inexpensive bottom-line router will do the job, if you're in a two-story home for instance or there is any appreciable distance between the computers and the router it would probably the worth a little extra money to purchase an extended Range router, performance and speed of the wireless connection degrades with a borderline signal, it may still function but the connection will be slower and a little sketchy at times if the computer does not have a strong wireless signal to the router.

Feel free to PM me once you get started setting up your network, you need any assistance.

In reply to #2

12/24/2008 1:52 PM

Hello YWROADRUNNER:

Thank you the re-post and more info. All come in handy and it will go directly into my 'USEFUL' file!

I have a memory that just doesn't work! I set it up as a wired deal anyway. Though I filled al the wireless side of things like the DNS server and IP etc, no problems.

When it failed, I did not know it was the router. I thought it was a bug which altered the DNS/IP setting, after all the router/modem was only a year old. I had just a single computer and when everything is geared to getting on-line help, but, I can't get on-line..........................See where I am going? I tried all sorts of combinations of taking the connection out from the computer and tried ten second the twelve.......on up to five minutes! I do not recall them now but then, I know the set up and IP and MAC address' backwards, except, it still would not go on line. This was my first router. I had another three in as many years. All the modem side failed.

I got a wireless or wired modem with a renewed contract a few months ago, so I will be interested to see how long it lasts!

Anyway, thank you again and have a brilliant Xmas!

Good Answers: 59

12/20/2008 11:07 PM

Simple. Every device nowadays knows Ethernet. Buy a hub (inexpensive) with at least T100 (100Mbits/sec) speed capability. 8 or 16 ports. Plug everything into it, and you will have no problems connecting it to the DSL modem. You want wireless too? It is just a convenient complication on the top of Ethernet.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

12/21/2008 1:05 AM

Hello Leveles:

I've never looked to see if there are any wireless hubs available, something I'll have to check.

10 years ago a router could cost you a small fortune, I just checked the current Frys ad and you can pick up a wireless router for $19 .99. And you get the added plus of a firewall.

Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 71
In reply to #6

12/23/2008 3:51 PM

Oooh, careful. Hubs don't have all the facilities to allow multiple computers to talk to broadband modems that routers have. Specifically, routers have DHCP built in. Hubs don't. DHCP handles the packets coming from the modem and directs them to the appropriate PC. DHCP maintains a local network client list (local IP addresses like 192.168.1.101, .102, etc) and coordinates with the ISP to accomplish this.

Connect hubs TO the router. No problem.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #22

12/23/2008 6:28 PM

Hello Hooker:

So, just to get things straight, if you had a router, you probably would not need a hub?

Or do you mean (to make it clear for me), you can connect the three computers to a hub but, you should then connect the hub in line to a router, on the 'computer' side of the router then connect to the internet via your phone socket?

And can I just say,...... and it may be handled by the router anyway,..... but, if the computers will not 'talk' to each other, make sure each has a personal and unique IP?

Take care and have a wonderful holiday!.......................

Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 61
In reply to #24

12/23/2008 6:49 PM

Routers, hubs, and switches are subsets of the same capabilities:

Hub: computers can talk to each other. Period. If done correctly maybe can go out to modem and to internet - but only protected by ISP firewall and IP addressing will be an issue with ISP.

Switch: Faster hub. OK, better than that but not from this perspective.

Router: Internal firewall, DHCP means no address issues, no exposure of internal computers to ISP.

All important distinctions back when this gear was expensive. Now a router is *almost* as cheap as a hub.

Buy the latest, most capable router you can. You'll have peace of mind, safety, security, software upgrades and still pay less than $150. without shopping.

United Kingdom - Member - British

In reply to #6

12/23/2008 6:33 PM

A convenient complication? Is that a good bad?

Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Location: Tri cities, Washington state Republic of the 50 states of America
Good Answers: 35

12/20/2008 11:54 PM

Hello Sciesis2,

I use a wireless router at my place.

One Mobil laptop; one desk computer; and one multifunction printer, scanner, fax machine.

Only the laptop is wireless the others use the cat5 cable. My internet connection is 5Mb so I use a 50Mb wireless. The computers are used for mostly text on the internet so 5Mb is plenty.

The printer is connected directly to the hub so both computers can access regardless of the others status.

Never used a book just followed the instructions and opted for the highest security possible.

Brad

Good Answers: 8

12/21/2008 7:11 AM

Check with your cable company. My ISP is DSL and they provide a gateway modem. The wireless router is built in. It is very easy to set up with supplied software. My wireless network does cost an extra $5 a month but I get support. I have had up to 6 computers on my network at once with no problems.

Regards,

Keywalker

Guru
Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

12/21/2008 9:37 AM

Some good answers so far, especially the bit about reading your documentation carefully.

Depending on your provider of service, you will either need to get an IP address from them, or generate your own. Frequently the provider will want to charge you for multiple IPs.

Most providers will assign a computer "name" for you to use. Your router software is smart enough to accept this "name" and pretend to be your desktop computer.

So connect the cable modem to the desktop. Establish your account, make sure everything works. You should not need to talk to the modem directly again.

Move the desktop and router to the best location for you. You will do all your talking through the router, through the modem from now on. Tell the router it's name is your computer's. Elsewhere, you also need to name your network. WRITE THIS DOWN.

Set the router up to receive it's IP address upstream from the provider (DHCP = ON), tell it to generate DHCP addresses for your internal network, then tell it not to pass through IPs on the network you are setting up. This masks your internal network from the provider and it looks like a single machine.

Run about with all the machines turned on, unless you are using the same software on all. I am running Mac and PC together, they do not both have all the same security options. Find the highest security option all your machines have in common and select that at the router. Pick a password for wireless login and WRITE IT DOWN.

On PC, use control panel to turn on the individual laptop transmitters, and scan for available networks. Find the name you selected and attempt to login. Use the password you created when prompted on the laptop.

Now run about and reset the password into all wireless users. Your network should all come up happy.

Now your network should be both hardwired into the router, and wireless into the router. Now make your transmissions disappear. There is a prompt in the router software for whether you want the network name to be transmitted. Uncheck this box and only sophisticated scanners can even find your network, much less log onto it. This puts an end to "script kiddies" and other unsophisticated hackers. Sophisticated hackers can find you and crack your network, but why? Most problems go away if you just hide from the amateurs.

NOW - when someone visits you wish to let on the network with a new laptop: open the network connections on the new laptop, select wireless network, and right click for properties. Top tab, second over is wireless networks. Since your wireless is "hidden" you need to enter the network name for the visitor to find it. The visitor will also need the password to log in.

More users, printers and such. Printers and other things that need to use the network can either be attached to a machine always on - and then "shared" with other users, or buy network capable "other stuff" and jack in through the router. Network capable printers are still priced fairly high, so search for a cheap "print server" to plug the printer into - frequently just a dongle device that attaches between the printer and the router to "translate". More new devices are actually wireless, and you may find the printer can be attached this way.

Depending on your household and visitors, if you want a visitor to access the printer attached to your desktop, but not your hard drive; Go to My Computer and select the harddrive, right click for properties, and select Not Shared; or Shared With Password. If you select Shared with Password so the wife can access your harddrive, WRITE DOWN THE PASSWORD.

Happy surfing!

In reply to #12

12/23/2008 7:20 PM

Hello edignan:

Very good advice! GA to you Sir!................

I paid almost £150.00 for my router and got no printed handbook. So if my computer would not work because my router was set up wrong, I was knackered. It takes a little experience to realise you can disconnect the router and use a normal modem to get to the instructions. Least ways that is what I thought for several months. Then after reading endlessly from computer mags' I realised I can connect by typing the simple IP # into the address bar.

I have filed your info, as I do with all good help! I know the routers now set themselves up but when I got mine they didn't. Or, again, I did not realise it if they did. An auto set up would have saved me hours of trying to make sure the router was connected to the computer and then to the outside world properly!

Commentator

Good Answers: 3

12/21/2008 2:44 PM

This thread is precisely the way our CR4 should work: informative and detailed answers all! A GA to edignan for developing the security aspect in sufficient detail to be implemented!!

Let me continue along that caveat: No matter how you hide your naming, you are still broadcasting your activity outside of your domicile!!! If some of your computer activity involves financial, proprietary or very personal data, that would transmit outward along with the JPEG's, games and whatnot.

Consider containing activity of this nature on a computer that is 'hard-wired' to the router to achieve connection to the ISP but NOT a part of the ancillary wireless network itself. We do this in the hangar and office with our LinkSys unit with the greatest of ease. Our repair manuals can be accessed on any laptop within range but Aunt Betty's (the EVIL accountant) computer in inviolate. Took the same set-up (SurfBroad cable modem and LinkSys) to the house and repeated the process.

Remember: NO wireless network is 100% SECURE!! If the NSA can do it, in this day and age, a somewhat average 12 year old is not that far behind... ... just consider CAREFULLY, the nature of your activity and plan your system to meet those needs.

'Nuff said???

GLB

In reply to #13

12/21/2008 4:47 PM

Hello GLB:

I agree, all have contributed, both you and edignan been quite helpful and informative on the security details, it's always fun when you can help someone, and it's always great when you can learn something new which I have.

Until recently I would only enable the wireless features of my modem when I brought the laptop home from work, when I moved it was easier to enable the wireless capability than climbing up in the attic and running cables to the other computer.

I must agree, even though my network is encrypted, my computer's hardwired to the router, and I feel much more secure that way,.

I haven't hid the network identifier, which sounds like it would be a worthwhile endeavor. The one thing I haven't seen mentioned concerning security is restricting the Mac addresses. I generally set up the Mac address accessibility list, and then restrict any other devices that aren't on that list from accessing the wireless network.

In reply to #13

12/23/2008 7:53 PM

Hello GLB,

Very good point made by you Sir! GA on its way.

With ref' to part of your post, you mean I can't connect via the 14 year olds wireless set up computer and get to all the nasties?......................I am only joking ok?

No offence intended.

Take care and a happy holiday!.......................

12/21/2008 3:42 PM

Well said! Wish I'd thought of it.

Wire is inherently more secure than wireless.

Good Answers: 3

12/21/2008 7:41 PM

Hi back YW,

Great idea also about the further restrictions!!!

Let me pass on one more item: (rem: this is my understanding, from our IT guru, the ever lovely Katherine, twin sister to EVIL Betty!)...

The combination of the unit (cable modem in this case) serial number and the HFC MAC address sets the communication protocols and identity between the ISP and the modem. This is usually a one time procedure at the time of first connect to the ISP. The Ethernet IP and Ethernet MAC addresses set what are the individual identities for the various units of the equipment configuration. These are best described as the "Subscriber Side" options and can usually be found at http://192.168.100.1 in your web browser or some variation . In the case of my example SurfBoard (I quote):

... SURFboard cable modem can be used as a gateway to the Internet by a maximum of 32 users on a Local Area Network (LAN). When the Cable Modem is disconnected from the Internet, users on the LAN can be dynamically assigned IP Addresses by the Cable Modem DHCP Server. These addresses are assigned from an address pool which begins with 192.168.100.11 and ends with 192.168.100.42. Statically assigned IP addresses for other devices on the LAN should be chosen from outside of this range.

So my reading on this is that you can establish an allowed/not allowed list as you suggest that should keep out the 'drive-by hacker' and retain utility for your list of qualified and temporary users.

I venture that keeping all of this in the "Manual" mode would be the most secure!

And, thanks to all, by the way, for adding to my body of knowledge regarding additional security steps!!

GLB

12/22/2008 8:20 AM

As for books, as Roadrunner's comment points out, things change mighty fast. Better off with the manual for what you are buying.

That said there is a networking for dummies book. Gotta say the early version I picked up had almost nothing to say about the network we all describe - peer-to-peer. This may have changed with later versions.

A very informative book, if you want to know a little about TCP/IP, but not too many details given the variety of equipment out there.

United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 6

12/22/2008 9:52 AM

I would like to add that how your home/office is setup may help determine your fix. I will reference my own home for example. I have a telecom cabinet installed in one of my master bedroom closets. It contains my the patch panels which split out the communications (internet, phone, TV, alarm system) to each room of the house. This is also where my fibre optic modem and router are located. Because my router (which also supports wireless) is located here and my office is on the complete opposite side of the house, the signal in the office is weak for wireless. In the office, there is one RJ45 wall plug for internet access. I always prefer being hard-wired vs. wireless (no signal loss, more secure, etc.). In my office I run two pc's. My solution was to install a 4 port hub and run both of my pcs from the one plug, and it works great. This hub also supports printers, so I can hook up my printer and share it between pc's, which is an additional bonus. Hard-wiring your pc's off of your router may work just fine, but that is if your router is located in the same room, which isn't always the case.

The network architecture in my home is like this:

modem -> router -> hub -> 2 pc's + printer

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 98
In reply to #21

12/25/2008 2:50 PM

Very good answers!

Notice references to O/S's and computer types and would like to add the computer with the latest operating system should be used to set up the router, assign channels, configure encryption protocol sequencing etc., do these functions with this computer hardwired to the router. After configuration you can then disconnect this unit to use wireless and reconnect to the wire another possibly older unit w/o wireless connectivity.

I use a cheapo with one RJ45 input and 4 channel outs and 32 wireless capable personalities, with printer support rule of thumb if device has huge manual it isn't smart and it needs to be because I am not.

see: Network Magic now offered by Cisco or select "products" for MAC and advanced networking capabilities.

In reply to #47

12/28/2008 7:14 PM

Hello wire,

I use a cheapo with one RJ45 input and 4 channel outs and 32 wireless capable personalities, with printer support rule of thumb if device has huge manual it isn't smart and it needs to be because I am not.

Hope you had a good holiday? You are sometimes 'just a wee bit too honest'!

I live in a Condo' and found 24 computers in it who do not have a protected connection. I doubt any of those people will read this but, it seems there were a lot of computer Xmas pressies, given to people who have know idea how to set them up?

Surely this could be done automatically if the right software is written?

Take care..................

In reply to #48

12/28/2008 8:48 PM

Hi, bb,

I have a Belkin wireless router, my ISP it BT. Part of the process of setting it all up - particularly the wireless bit - was to secure the network with a key. I nearly fell foul of this myself (own goal) - when it came to adding my daughter's new laptop to my network. If I hadn't inspirationally filed the printout with the key, I'd've been stuffed.

Ok, I'm a bit computer savvy, but do wireless routers generally let you set up a network without security? I suspect that you have to check an 'ignore' box somewhere along the line, if you don't want it secured.

I can generally pick up between 5 & 15 wireless networks, but it's quite rare to find an unsecured one.

Maybe the problem is with the installation software (including printed manuals, for the occasional reader) - there should be a big READ THIS bit, followed by some reminders, before you can actually set up an unsecured network.

I'm shooting myself in the foot here, as it's often quite handy to 'borrow' someone's wireless when I'm out of range of any I can legitimately use.

In reply to #49

12/28/2008 9:00 PM

Hello JohnDG,

Ok, I'm a bit computer savvy, but do wireless routers generally let you set up a network without security?

Yes. You have to activate the security. Of that you have several flavors, of which most can be overcame in a few minutes with the right software.

I have a neighbor kid I catch once in a while in my system. They are more careful after I formatted their master boot record file. Still pick up tracks once in a while.

When I upgrade this spring I'll get a algorithm encrypted rotating password model and that will fix that.

Brad

In reply to #50

12/28/2008 9:31 PM

Hi, Brad,

I realize that one has to activate the security, but when I set mine up, I'd've had to have made a conscious decision not to have implemented security.

Just thinking that maybe the installation stuff should say '... are you sure? ...', and then '... are you really, really sure? ...'.

In reply to #51

12/28/2008 10:04 PM

Hi John,

Once upon a time when just us nerds used computers, we considered an idle CPU a waste and let others use it just to have access to more processing power when we needed it. Hacking was vogue and the only things changed on a hacked computer was an obvious system software problem. I've even had a few programs improved with notes on how and why.

The next generation of computer users came along and had the morels of a snake.

Now I use security protocols that when I was helping build military supercomputers I would have considered over kill.

I get back up to speed I probably be worse.

Back to the security having to be turned on- the system is faster without using it. Speed is the defining criteria in router systems.

Brad

In reply to #50

12/31/2008 8:44 PM

I'm quite satisfied with the algorithm encrypted sequencing type

The neighbor asked if I stopped the connection

In reply to #49

12/28/2008 9:40 PM

Hello JohnDG:

Thanks for the reply post...........

Uummm, it would seem it is possible to set up a wireless router without any kind of safety net.

People say 'wireless', not really thinking it through to the conclusion that 'wireless' means just that and it also means anyone within range can ride piggy-back for free!

I too am at least part way computer savvy, (though not when it comes to 'giving myself advice'!) and I think it should be the case that you must opt-out of applying any kind of safety net, rather than opting-in.

When you see all the other various connection and other rules which are fully 'automatic', I find it hard to understand why the connection of a router/modem should not be fully auto' as well. There is simply no need for people who are not inclined, to dig around parts of the computer they know nothing of.

In reply to #49

12/31/2008 8:39 PM

Usual is a multiple choice of what type or level of security does one want. If no selection is made or the set up is not completed it is not enabled.

Do yourself a favor and checkout the tools and skip the hassle of do it yourself tools www.purenetworks.com offered by Cisco

In reply to #48

12/31/2008 8:30 PM

12/23/2008 6:20 PM

Hi Bill, A wireless router would be a good idea. We have one computer wired to our router, and two other desktops almost constantly connected, and also two laptops intermittently connected, and the internet works really well. You would only need one modem, and the mbps is based on if 10 computers were connected at the same time. We have a linksys router, which has never failed us, and you can connect into the admin part of it by simply typing 192.168.1.1 into the address bar, so you can look at the interface, create access restrictions, block certain progs, and create rules only allowing the internet at such times. So, in your case, wire the router into the computer which doesn't have wireless, and create a wireless network between the other two pcs. Furthermore, if you want to make a wireless network, presuming you are using windows, go into command panel, into network settings, and on the left, click create a wireless network, following the steps and saving the data onto a memory stick, and then also create a normal network to allow file sharing. That's what I did. Good luck.

In reply to #23

12/23/2008 6:57 PM

Hello Bondy,

very good idea there to explain how to 'reach' your router to set it up, and check and alter it.

When I first tried to go wireless about four years ago, I had to figure that out myself. You sit in front of the computer, after connecting the router and think, "wait a sec', how do I or how can I set the router"?

I have since gone back to 'wired', as I have used three routers and everyone stopped working after 13 months! The first time it took a couple of days before I realised it was not my ISP who was the problem, it was the router not working. Or I should say the ADSL/IP part of the router. The light were flashing, and it was the first router I had and, set it up by hand, but, I find wired much more reliable. How can you tell if there is something wrong with a wireless router that may not be obvious, at least not to someone who has tried it for the first time?

Take care and have a wonderful holiday!.....................

Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 71
In reply to #28

12/24/2008 9:11 AM

Babybear,

If you have a problem connecting to your ISP and the Internet, it's usually best to check your own hardware first before yelling at your ISP.

The easiest way to do this is to remove the router from the equation. In other words, connect a computer directly to the modem. If you connect to the net, then the router is most likely the culprit.

Sometimes routers do fail as you have seen but usually they just lock up for difficult to determine reasons. The usual solution is just to unplug them for > 30 seconds then plug them back in and let them go through their diagnostics. 99% of the time this fixes the problem.

This scenario is also why I always have at least one computer hardwired to my wireless router. That eliminates wireless connectivity issues from the mix while trying to diagnose router problems.

Best,

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #41

12/24/2008 2:11 PM

Hello Hooker:

Really appreciate your advice but, wish it was six months sooner! I I have thrown all three out now, trashed and gone. But, to be fair I tried all that kind of stuff as you will see and a post I sent in a few minutes ago. After the first, I knew what to look for. But there was no way I could get the modem to work.

But as with the advice from another post, I will be putting your advice in my 'USEFUL' file! Thank you...........Anyway, since then the new type of router modem sets itself, well, in theory.

Have a wonderful holiday.................

12/23/2008 7:34 PM

This is off topic and I am sorry for that but I have a problem.

I run my computer connected to an UPS, and last night unplugged the UPS before the computer was properly shut down.

Today I switch the computer on and have messaged flashed at me saying: 'This computer is not properly activated'. Every hour or so I get a message which says the activation must be within three days. Can anyone tell me if this is a virus?

Everything looks real, IE. From Microsoft. It also says "your machine has changed substantially since you bought it and you need to relicense it". I have not put any new hardware in my computer and am pretty sure this is a scam. Because if I click to relicense I will also be asked for all my personal details, which Microsoft already knows.

Reg-Cure and Spyware Doctor with anti virus have not found anything. So I was going to try AVG. What do you think? Anyone?

I would be most grateful for the advice...............

A message to all...........Have a wonderful holiday!................

In reply to #30

12/23/2008 7:54 PM

Hello babybear:

Don't do it, it well may be a scam I'm including a link that has some information on this type of Trojan. My suggestion would be to go to the Norton site and have an external scan of your machine run, also you can go to the Windows live security Center and have a scan run.

http://www.scmagazineus.com/Symantec-Beware-of-Microsoft-piracy-control-message-asking-for-credit-card-information/article/34883/

Beware-of-Microsoft-piracy-control-message-asking-for-credit-card-information/article/34883/can run.

PS: did this post in a hurry, I'll do a little more research, just wanted to make you aware of the potential for fraud.

In reply to #32

12/23/2008 8:16 PM

Hello YWROADRUNNER:

Thanks for the info and lead! I have never heard of Microsoft asking to have a relicense other than if you alter your system in a major fashion, like a new Motherboard? Thank you.

I have also got gradually disappearing icons. They are fracturing and after a while they go. Until I reboot. Everything still works but no icon! A bit of a drawback in an icon 'driven' system!

Take care and happy holiday..........................

In reply to #34

12/23/2008 8:26 PM

Hello babybear:

It could just be a glitch, but better safe than sorry. The link I sent to is about a year old but it had some similarity to what you were describing.

One thing's for sure, the guys trying to get our money with these scams never rest, and are constantly improving their viruses and Malware. Let us know what you find out.

In reply to #35

12/23/2008 8:37 PM

Hello YWROADRUNNER:It is for sure they do not rest! Always trying to catch you out. I know almost enough for that not to happen. I just wondered if anyone else had the same scam?

I will go to Microsoft and get the scan done. When I put the vanishing icons, constant freezing, and this latest set of messages, it sound like it is a scam.

Still, I will know after I have been to Microsoft! In theory at least!

Have a happy holiday and I will be in touch. Am going away for a couple of days but will be in touch for sure! Thank you............................

12/23/2008 8:53 PM

If it is a Windows system, the memory leaks are still there and the registry only gets written on shutdown.

So ...if you leave your machine on day after day, the useable memory will slowly decrease as memory "loaned" to an application isn't always totally recovered, so less and less memory as the days go by.

AND if this is your first shutdown in a while, and your statement of shutting down the UPS improperly also shut down the computer improperly and you may have scrambled your registry, as reflected in no longer recognizing you already registered your Windows. Data stored in the registry on your machine.

OR it IS a virus only activated on startup.

Without the software version - 'bout all the guessing I can do

In reply to #37

12/23/2008 9:01 PM

Hello edignan:

Thank you for your reply post. It may well be as you say, but, I close down everyday, but it course still have screwed my reg. I thought it may be a viral problem, put together with other things like freezing screens every half hour and icons which are gradually fading away, until after I reboot that is.

Thanks for your help.......

In reply to #38

12/24/2008 8:25 AM

Good point.

A couple of my faves are Malwarebytes and Avast. My sons love AVG and Panda - all free.

Been using Avast for three years now, got 1 tracking trojan.

Malwarebytes rooted it out.

But I have more faith in multiples when it comes to security, ISP firewall, router firewall, Windows firewall, Avast (or any other) realtime monitor, and occasional dedicated scan for tracking reporting cookies and trojans.

But behavior on the web has as much to do with safety, I download almost nothing but PDFs, my kids suck down everything from programs to music.

I have fewer problems. No reflection on you, just trying to quant. our experience. I wouldn't expect someone who invests in a UPS to be casual about his computer.

In reply to #39

12/24/2008 9:39 AM

Hi, I use AVG, Malwarebytes and spybot. All seem to work, and even better, all are free.

In reply to #37

12/24/2008 9:08 AM

Hello edignan:

You may have just explained the the cause of a problem that has been plaguing me as of late.

My son is here for the holidays and is currently sleeping in my computer room, so I relocated my wife's computer in the living room, and for the last week or so have set my computer not to shut down, thus allowing me to access files on my computer, and the printers without having to get my son out of bed. ( Late sleeper, to be 25 again.)

My system (HAL 2008) is an overclocked quad core Pentium on a high-end motherboard with two gigs of RAM, and I'm running two monitors. Since processor speed has not been an issue I frequently have Yahoo messenger, Skype, Yahoo financial, and the program I'm cheating with right now Dragon Naturally Speaking running all the time. (Dragon in particular seems to be quite memory intensive)

A couple of times I've got up in the morning and found I could not access my computer over the network, once I gained physical access to the computer I found it was due to a lack of system resources, once rebooted everything worked fine.

My problem seems to fit your memory leakage scenario, I've been shutting down and rebooting every couple of days, and at least try and remember to shut down the extra programs in the evening, utilizing these procedures seems to have ended my lack of resources morning errors.

So you may have inadvertently explained my phantom problem. I was hoping it was not HAL's psychosis returning. (Initially I was pushing the memory just a little too hard and had to change the multiplier)

So Thank you for an informative post.

In reply to #40

12/24/2008 9:33 AM

We'll hope it isn't psychosis!

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #40

12/24/2008 11:25 AM

There is a utility in Advanced System Care 3 (free version) called SmartRam. This may fix your memory loading problem.

12/28/2008 10:14 PM

Hello guys, for those of you who don't know my son was out for the holidays, so I moved one computer into the living room and enabled the wireless network, he was nesting in my den, and heaven knows he needs his beauty sleep.

I also utilized the very good advice of hiding my SSID. After accessing my bank account on the day after Christmas, I found I could no longer access my computer from my wife's (again) assuming that this was a memory problem again , I waited until my son got up and rebooted my computer.

The problem still remained, it was then I realized that for one reason or another (possibly when I rebooted my router after hiding the SSID) my wife's computer had attached itself to my neighbor's wireless network, thus all my banking information was SENT out on an unencrypted connection.

Advice and a question.

So to add to the discussion of security issues on wireless networks make sure your computer is locked onto your network before sending any sensitive information.

After all our talk about security, I have found a new security issue. I was aware that this could happen, but never gave it a second thought.

As far as a question, does anybody know where they're having a post holiday sale on dunce caps.

In reply to #54

12/28/2008 10:33 PM

I take it you did reset your security information at the bank. Some info is mined at a later date not in real time. I'd go so far as to change your logon and your password. also your (if this is not here then this is not us picture).

It all depends on what and how someone is looking.

Brad

In reply to #54

12/29/2008 3:15 AM

Hello YWROADRUNNER:

sorry about your problems. Just to move things along my advice would be to send me your bank details and I can have a little fun before your account is empty!

As far as I know unless you are locked onto one signal, the wireless bit will continue to search and find different computers as people go on-line etc.

But if you had encryption ticked on anything going from your computer will be encoded. I hope you are friendly with your neighbours!

Good luck.........

In reply to #54

12/31/2008 8:47 PM
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

agua_doc (1); babybear (16); Bondy111 (3); bwire (5); edignan (7); GLB (2); Hooker (2); JohnDG (5); Keywalker (2); leveles (1); Sciesis2 (1); U V (4); Vandarye (1); YWROADRUNNER (10)

Previous in Forum: Scientists Write Guide To Build Supercomputer From Sony Playstation 3   Next in Forum: IETE Metereal

Advertisement