Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Earthing Bus Bar Sizing   Next in Forum: PCC 2100 Power Command Controller
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

3 comments
Participant

Why is the Transmission and Dist. Voltage in India in Multiples of 11 only?

01/27/2009 6:07 AM

Hello everybody ,

I wanted to know why is the Transmission / distribution voltage in India in multiples of 11 kv , be it 220 V ,440 V, 3.3 KV, 6.6 KV, 11 KV, 33 KV, 66 KV , 132 KV and so on even though the generation voltage in alternators is 11 kv or 12 KV due to insulation considerations .

It is something to do with the basic electrical engineering ( if yes, kindly explain ) or something concerning history , by those who invented power.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User

Good Answers: 15

Re: Why is the Transmission and Dist. Voltage in India in Multiples of 11 only?

01/27/2009 6:42 AM

This subject has been covered multiple times here on CR4. Please search the archives for the many answers.

Safety - ESD - New Member India - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 39

01/27/2009 7:36 AM

Hi Gaganandeeep,

I do not think there is any technical reason. There is 400 kV system in India which is not a multiple of 11 . There are 230 volts and 400 volts distribution system prevailing where certain imported machines are designed to operate in that voltage. We in India adopted the British system of electrical distribution which is multiples of 11 .

It is matter of conviction being followed. I have read some where probably in some earlier threads in CR4 itself (I do not remember exactly) that it is because of a misconception that there is voltage drop of 10% iin transmissiioon and to get 100 volts for the consumer, 110 volts distribution was accepted. The system is still not being considered for change as change will call for total replacement of existing equipments.

Please read thee link below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_distribution

Register to Reply
Participant

01/31/2009 2:26 AM

Thanks Mr. Abraham

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 3 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

charlie_r (1); Gagandeep Mohey (1); V.I.Abraham (1)

Previous in Forum: Earthing Bus Bar Sizing   Next in Forum: PCC 2100 Power Command Controller
You might be interested in: Voltage Dividers and Voltage References, Voltage Converters and Voltage Inverters, Voltage Regulators