CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Running Steam Turbines Above Rated Speeds   Next in Forum: Torque Calculation for Roller
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

6 comments
Participant

Converting PN Values to ANSI Flange Ratings

02/24/2010 10:31 PM

I have some question about how to convert to PN value to ANSI flange rating or class as below.

1. Is it different when the material different? For example bronze, cast iron, ss or pp?

2. PN value seems to mean the flange rating, but in case the end type is screwed, then what's the meaning of PN value such as PN 16/PN25?

I am quite confused with the above, please help me to clarify it, thank you.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Anonymous Poster

Re: How to convert PN value to ANSI flange rating/class?

02/25/2010 3:06 AM

1. PN values are for the flange. The ANSI B16 Series covers the cast iron, Steel(s), Bronze and copper : 16.1,16.4 (Cast iron), 16.3 (malleable iron) etc.

2. The PN is applicable for threaded flanges too.

3. For Conversion PN to Class refer here

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #1

02/25/2010 3:59 AM

Thanks a lot. How about the other PN value convert to class? Such as PN 6/10/16/25/32. I can not find the value from the table.

Besides, I knew we can calculate the class rating for example PN 16 = 16 bar = about 232psi, so we can choose class 300 as the class rating. But such calculation can not fit the table as per you issued. Which one is correct? And how to identify?

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #2

02/25/2010 5:43 AM

All are not exactly equivalent, based on service condition you have to select the flange.

Also it may be noted that they are not interchangeable (ANSI flange won't match the nearest DIN flange)

Thirdly the ASME may not permit the DIN flanges. The EPV however will accept the ANSI. (Bias )

Just for a few links on DIN- this has a few and this has much more details (including DIN Numbers)

Maryland metrics also has lot of details on DIN flanges, go to it's home page, where the pressure and temperature ratings are also available.

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #3

02/26/2010 4:29 AM

Thanks very much for your furthering explaination, now I have a much clear idea about PN & ANSI flange rating.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #2

04/16/2010 4:39 PM

You would not use a 300lb class flange. You would use a 150lb class they are rated to 285 psi.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

Re: Converting PN Values to ANSI Flange Ratings

06/06/2010 3:55 PM

PN specify the pressure ratings

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: Running Steam Turbines Above Rated Speeds   Next in Forum: Torque Calculation for Roller

Advertisement