CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Anyone from LPG bottling Plant???   Next in Forum: Roland Press Manuals
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

72 comments
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 90

Proposal For An Undersea Oil Drilling Rig

06/07/2010 6:25 PM

Proposal for an Undersea Oil Drilling Rig

June 07, 2010

This drilling rig would be totally enclosed and submerged to the sea floor where all of the drilling action would take place. The basic structure would comprise three cylinders of the following approximate dimensions: 20' diameter x 40' long. They would be laid out in an upside-down T pattern with the cylinder in the center pointing up and the other two cylinders facing out 90° left and right and 180° apart. Additional cylinders could be added that radiate out from the center cylinder. The ends of the cylinders would be elliptical for strength. The central cylinder would be where the drilling would take place and would communicate to the two outside cylinders by watertight doors. Drill pipe would be stored vertically, soda straw fashion in the central cylinder. A means of replenishing the drill pipe would be accomplished by lowering consumables inside a separate cylinder and would "dock" with the undersea rig similar to space docking. The two outer cylinders would house shops, machinery and rest areas. The cylinders could be fabricated using submarine pressure hull technology. I think the depth this rig could operate at would be established by depths today's submarines can operate at.

The undersea drill rig would be supplied with air, water, etc from the surface from an anchored barge or barges. Drilling crews would descend and return to the surface each work shift by way of an "escape" capsule and could be housed on the barge as is currently the practice with surface drilling platforms. Once oil starts to flow, it would be transported to the surface through pipes to permanently moored barges where the oil would be loaded unto tankers. Working at deep depths would not be much different than working in underwater tunnel boring machines like those that built the English Channel tunnel.

Not knowing much about oil drilling, I can only present a very rough size estimate. The only number I know is that drill pipe comes in 39 and 45 ft lengths, so maybe the center cylinder would need to be tall enough to accommodate the 45 ft length. I toss this idea out for discussion. I'm sure greater minds than mine can improve on it. Other configurations are possibe, like a cylinder within a cylinder.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 163

Re: Proposal for an Undersea Oil Drilling Rig

06/07/2010 6:49 PM

the pressures (psi) alone, one is against, makes it a very challenging environment, to put it lightly

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 367

06/07/2010 6:58 PM

My first thought - how would you seal the point where the drill went through to the sea bed? Remember you have about 100 bar per km depth.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

In reply to #2

06/07/2010 7:23 PM

This is just an idea. There are many things to consider that I leave up to the experts to solve. I do believe that it's a doable idea. I have a few years experience with nuclear submarines and offshore drilling rigs and "sealab", an undersea habitat that was home to humans back in the 60's, but not with the actual drilling or machinery itself. Please note that humans now work at depths of a mile and more in the mining industry. They can spend an hour or more just getting to the underground worksite and return. It takes a special individual to do it, but the pay is good.

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 781

06/07/2010 7:22 PM

Atmospheric pressure at that depth is 2,162 lbs/in^2.

Water temperature is well below freezing.

Saturation time (even with helium/oxygen) to work at that depth is non-existant, so you would need to work in a bathyscape to survive the pressure, but that is pretty much useless to do any work in.

This is why they use robots. The environment is impossible for humans to work in.

I don't know what the pipe pressure is at under nominal conditions, but it must be really high. I was told that leaking pipe is just 21" in diameter.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

06/07/2010 7:30 PM

Nuclear submarines work at great depths also with great pressures and temperatures; still they make it work. Maybe 5000 feet may be beyond the limit, but submarine operating depths are classified. Please consider the positive aspects of this idea and not the negative ones. The negatives will be challenges that mankind can conquer. If we can go to the moon and beyond, going to the ocean floor is possible, certainly not impossible.

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #5

06/07/2010 9:30 PM

What advantage is there for humans to work at that depth if robots can do it?

It boils down to cost of operation. Risk management costs a lot of money. Rating things for human safety is always more expensive than for robots. The cost of the environment alone would be staggering.

Free enterprise will find the least expensive solution to the problem because it increases profit. I would think that BP, Transatlantic, etc., have some of the brightest minds on the case.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 205
In reply to #3

06/08/2010 11:14 PM

there is nothing inconsistent with robotic operations with his proposal. It would be expensive to automate drilling anywhere you do it.. just more expensive on the bottom of the sea.

Register to Reply
Guru

06/07/2010 7:43 PM

I have been employed since the early 50's in the design ot the Texas towers, early offshore oil drilling platforms, jack-up platforms and nuclear submarines. If some one told me 50 years ago that a submarine could dive to 2000+ feet, or you could drill in water 5000 feet deep, or there would be a man on the moon, I would have thought you were balmy. Don't be negative in your thoughts. I might also add: heart transplants, high speed trains, supersonic planes, all of which were not possible or even conceivable 50 years ago. Please don't try to dazzle me with figures. It is your job to work around it. I'll be the devil's advocate thank-you.

United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 130

Re: Proposal For An Undersea Oil Drilling Rig

06/07/2010 9:35 PM

Hi Ron, Do you think of a sub sea station, with permanent workshop, canteen, dormitories and a shuttle model transportation device between it and the world?

Or a big day cruiser that takes all the stuff home after a day work? How deep you want it to work? Are the sizes you have in mind O.D. or I.D?

How many people you want to stack in it?

In reply to #8

06/08/2010 11:55 AM

I don't propose living in domitories at that depth. Transporting workers to and from the surface as is now done in mile deep mining operations would be a better choice.

In response to your second question, dimensions would be in the order of nuclear submarine dimensions which are approximately 30' OD with a 2 to 3" wall reinforced with internal ribs and bulkheads.

In response to another viewer; a cofferdam would be sunk into the sea floor and sealed to the bottom of the cylinder. The cofferdam would be maybe 5' diameter and extend down maybe 20'. Drilling would be within the cofferdam.

I see this as a space station under the sea. It could even be made temporary and moved to a different location; or it could just be flooded and abandoned.

At present, this idea could be considered science fiction, but how many Si-Fi ideas from the past have become reality?

In reply to #10

06/08/2010 12:37 PM

There is no comparison between going 5,000 feet below the Earth's surface into a mine and going 5,000 feet below the surface of the ocean.

The way down to those depths requires specialized submarines that are made into the shape of a sphere.

To manufacture living quarters at that depth would require an enclosure that can reliably withstand much more than 2,000 pounds per square inch indefinitely. Not only that, but you need a mechanism of hatches that can work at that depth to allow egress. The hatch is going to be the weak point. The enclosure will shrink under pressure and the hatch must be able to accommodate those dimensional changes and yet still be able to be opened when the service vessel to docks.

Once inside the only way you can work is to remotely control robots. You can do that easier on the surface than you can on the ocean's floor.

There is no way you can work at the drill head (i.e., create a depressurized capsule around the well head) because the pressure of the oil and the gas is higher than 2,000 pounds per square inch. That is why it pours out.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #11

06/08/2010 2:46 PM

you can not just flush the toilet to the outside........OMG, the toilets backing up,... run.

When our ship yard got a contract the first thing the yard looked at is how long it was out to sea, the longer, the better the contract, because that added, berths, crew quarters, kitchens, HVAC, storage, disposals, ect... making a huge contract.

And this was above the water, still it doesn'r hurt to throw it around.

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 53

06/07/2010 10:32 PM

I also am certain that it could be done. Looks like you have staggered in to a far more costly and less safe method of doing something that has already been done over and over again. Cheers!

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

06/08/2010 11:12 PM

Presumeably you want to do this to prevent future undersea blowouts? If so, how do you propose that this system will do that? If all that happens is that drilling undersea is cheaper, then we will get more blowouts, not less.

I'm not saying that it isn't a good idea... but the blowout thing must be addressed.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 31

06/09/2010 12:31 AM

I love this concept of I have an idea - now it is up to you guys to figure out how to make it work! The comparison between a mine 1.5 km deep and on the ocean floor 1.5 km deep is no comparison - there is nothing in common except the number 1.5. I hope it comes out just what shortcuts BP took * what if any saftey measures were ignored or not in service.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 98

06/09/2010 3:43 AM

What happened to our can-do attitudes??

All that's required to get this done is a competitor...We can do anything we put our minds to.

A good idea and most drilling is done at less than 2500' anyway closer to 1500'; so what if a drilling station were at 1500 feet and robotics were employed to a greater depth would an advantage exist? Surely weather nor surface traffic would interfere...

In reply to #16

06/09/2010 3:53 AM

Being able to do and doing are very different. As far as İ can see there would be zero benefit in having people one mile down. All work would be outside the living area and done by robots anyway - plus it would be far - far - far more dangerous.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

06/09/2010 6:29 AM

"What happened to our can-do attitudes?"

Because there is a negative ROI.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

06/09/2010 10:05 AM

What happened to our can-do attitudes??

we have it still a can-do attitude, but do not confuse can-do with can-do till bankrupt.

criticism is healthy to bring up the negative so the negatives can be dealt with. and not washed over until people start dying. risk had to be evaluated, I look at this post as nothing more than brain storming, thinking out of the box. (if it hasn't been thought of before.)

A good idea and most drilling is done at less than 2500' anyway closer to 1500'; so what if a drilling station were at 1500 feet and robotics were employed to a greater depth would an advantage exist?

those are just words, do you realize what is involved in drilling........one should state also how robotics would be involved? What would be their tasks? Do these guys currently on these rigs, what does their experience have to add value to the job, vibration, smell, sound....... and can this be programed into a robot?

p911

In reply to #20

06/09/2010 11:24 AM

I think that the pipe handling can all be automated... certainly there are some very good pipe handling systems for surface drilling that are largely automated. As for mixing mud to correct weights, and judging the type of rock, etc... that is a different story.. and to automate that would be something like having a small mining operation in place to assess the shale and compute the necessary weight of mud and other chemical additives.

I'm more concerned with better blowout prevention.

Chris

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #21

06/09/2010 12:25 PM

there is nothing wrong with discussing automation, I like to hear how it will be applied, and not just thrown out there as the answer.

But one has to be critical of it because I can see uses for it, if one can overcome the problems from the deep, it can possible be applied to colonise of space, though your dealing with the opposite of pressure.

But the dangers will be the same with blowouts whether underwater or on top. As far as better blowout protection, I think the jury is still out if they (being BP) followed a solid practice procedure to prevent this.

On a side note, Last week I received an email from a consortium of attorneys that asked if I was affected by this disaster, and that I could have a settlement coming.

damn spam and the attorney's that go with it.

p911

In reply to #23

06/09/2010 12:29 PM

Shyster attorneys smelling blood!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

06/09/2010 3:39 PM

"it can possible be applied to colonise of space"

Agreed.

Register to Reply

Good Answers: 1

06/09/2010 7:21 AM

As I understand it, the idea is to develop a process and equipment that would allow "people" to operate the equipment at the ocean floor in a "safe" environment and be economically feasible. The end result would be a safe, producing oil and/or gas well sustainable for the life of the field and would advance the technology needed to extract oil and gas from great depths below the ocean floor in other areas. Unfortunately and because economics (money) have become the sole driving force behind developing new technologies, I doubt that any group would finance the development costs for such a project, given the obvious challenges. I completely agree that we need to create a wide range of ideas to consider - not unlike "brainstorming", and let the experts sort out the most feasible ones and hope that investors can see enough profit to finance research on the good ones. One of my thoughts is that we have enough "proven reserves" of geothermal sources (volcanos, etc.) that may be a better starting point to develop energy. One of the first arguements there is probably overcoming the challenges of transporting the energy from remote locations to population centers, but that seems easier to solve than the multitude of problems presented with deep sea drilling. More thoughts to challenge.

Register to Reply
Guru

06/09/2010 12:20 PM

A good idea and most drilling is done at less than 2500' anyway closer to 1500'; so what if a drilling station were at 1500 feet and robotics were employed to a greater depth would an advantage exist? Surely weather nor surface traffic would interfere...

I have no idea what depths wells are currently being drilled. I think we made an assumption that 5000' was the target depth. This is probably too ambitious for a first time try and Bwire's 1500' or less is a better target. Even depths of a few hundred feet could see benefits. I feel this idea has a lot of feasibility because we already have all the technologies availabe. It's just a matter of bringing the different technologies together in a new shape.

One advantage I can think of is, an undersea rig would not be affected by weather, like from hurricanes that can and do destroy present surface rigs. The surface part of the rig can be readily moved upon impending storms as they would be made up of supply barges and ships, leaving the undersea portion to ride out the storm under much calmer conditions. The "umbilical cord" that connects the surface to the seabed, would be flexible, disconnected and lowered to the floor. It would be retrieved after the storm had passed and reconnected. Operations could be resumed within 24 hours or less.

I haven't mentioned robots, but the use of robots would certainly improve work conditions by minimizing the number of humans needed to be there. This would be an expensive project and take many years to do, but like any first time projects, there will be successes and failures. As they say, "Rome wasn't built in a day"

In reply to #22

06/09/2010 12:28 PM

For some years to come there will not be people living at 5000 feet depth (in the ocean). İt serves no purpose as they would have to be tightly sealed in their living module and do everything by remote control anyway. I think of 'brainstorming' and I think of an old boss who always said 'I have a gut feeling'. I felt if he had a gut feeling he should possibly visit the loo. Brainstroming between people who know a topic in some detail but are from different groups is useful. Brainstorming on a topic where the knowledge base is little to none will provide a good result maybe 1 time in a million.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #24

06/09/2010 12:35 PM

but maybe in the future we have to live underwater, because the ozone layer depleted.

As far as

Brainstroming between people who know a topic in some detail but are from different groups is useful. Brainstorming on a topic where the knowledge base is little to none will provide a good result maybe 1 time in a million.

I have seen seemingly average disconnected people from the issues being discussed, come up with dam brillant ideas, just because they are detacted from the project/issue..

In reply to #26

06/09/2010 12:47 PM

And I have had to waste a lot of time to unload the stuff that gets dumped on you as well. Even groups or companies that have some expertise in an area often are more of a hinderance than a help.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #27

06/09/2010 12:52 PM

some just like to hear them selves talk, one can pick those out easy enough, but when the quiet one says something, or in one case my girlfriend. I was very surprised and impressed what they had to say.

In reply to #24

06/09/2010 2:46 PM

Living in outer space serves even much less purpose, but people are still contemplating space.

"Quote" For some years to come there will not be people living at 5000 feet depth (in the ocean).

Who says anything about "living" at 5000ft? We are talking "working", not living. I don't think you read the OP carefully enough.

In reply to #30

06/09/2010 2:54 PM

I read the OP quite well - you are simply talking about something that would be horribly costly and is not practical with today's technology. Working at 5000 feet means staying there - the transition to the surface is not like in the mines - it would be a very difficult 5000 feet to travel. Pressure at 5000 feet down in a mine and 5000 feet under water is two very different things. I still don't understand what you think a man could do down there anyway - robots are a far better choice and they can be remotely controlled -from the surface.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #31

06/10/2010 11:57 AM

"Quote" you are simply talking about something that would be horribly costly.

How much has been spent in space exploration? The cost is astronomical. It has no practical value what-so-ever. It is only of interest to scientists and astronomers. Better to spend that money here on earth.

In reply to #30

06/09/2010 4:21 PM

Who says anything about "living" at 5000ft? We are talking "working", not living. I don't think you read the OP carefully enough.

Ron, they both go together, it is not different than being deployed on a aircraft carrier for 6 months at a time.

It like your saying the astronauts are only working in space,,,,their not living there

Or are you saying that they should only work 10-18 hour shifts. Or with the risks envolved, there may not be too much of a living part. And send more down, because its a one way trip.

In reply to #22

06/09/2010 3:38 PM

another option is a 'submersible' design that is basically a large barge type, but can be entirely submerged for storm conditions.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #33

06/09/2010 4:26 PM

I remember in 2nd grade reading in the weekly reader, (publication for gade schoolers) Howard Hughes was designing and building a vessel to mine the sea bed.

He built this vessel in record time and actually had people who wanted to invest in this. Only to find out years later that it was only a front to recover a Soviet Sub.

In reply to #22

06/09/2010 7:04 PM

Maybe this would be better received if were about digging 5000' down into a mountain and the drilling from that level

06/09/2010 2:38 PM

My opinion is that everything is possible, until the opposite has been proven.

I refer to many projects that have been down- talked by doctors and professors on beforehand and MADE IT successfully.

I have been a few times the clown of the story until I came up with working results.

Suppose you need to make a design, thinking away gravity. That is something irregular.

Same goes for this idea. One builds foundations for bridges at deep places too.

Working in Caissons is one of the applied techniques. People are actually working, surrounded by water in a deep big pipe.

Depending on the underground the pipe seal can be done naturally, by pumping the water out. In tunneling they also freeze the surroundings. A big Iglo shaped dome where you can freeze up the roof thickness can be made as strong as you desire, considered the temperature with (maybe acceptable) energy.

Solves a lot of problems, discussed here.

And in principle, in this case you are also just thinking of MINING. Only a thought, that is what this post is about.

Guru

In reply to #29

06/09/2010 3:24 PM

I think only a few posts really made this point, so I will try to make it a little clearer.

It's not if we can do it, it's should we do it.

These two things are not the same.

There has to be a compelling reason (savings) to put your workforce 5,000 feet below the surface versus on the surface of the ocean. In both scenarios the workforce still needs to rely on robots to work at that depth, so the answer is there is no compelling reason.

Putting it another way, you could put a sharp stick in your eye, but I assure you that there is no compelling reason to do that, yet if you do I am sure you will see the point.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

In reply to #32

06/09/2010 4:17 PM

It's not if we can do it, it's should we do it.

Putting it another way, you could put a sharp stick in your eye, but I assure you that there is no compelling reason to do that, yet if you do I am sure you will see the point.

good analogy

In reply to #32

06/09/2010 4:20 PM

The past and present is full of examples of this standpoint.

What did we do or what are we doing that we shouldn't have done.

Maybe this is worth a post?

In all the madness and lost cases we hopefully learn(ed) something out of it.

Don't get me wrong, I am with you.

I only wanted to open a hypothetical piste. Thank you for replying. D

In reply to #36

06/09/2010 4:30 PM

Right now the only way this is going to happen, is if it gives a country a miltary strectgic advantage.......and I can't think of none so far.

And there are very few country's that would even attempt this.

In reply to #32

06/09/2010 5:51 PM

I can only say that if this analogy were taken as gospel the reality of the space race would be two competing enterprises.

Fine, there you have it but were this analogy applied to a thought of space exploration neither would it have occurred and what loss we would be from lack of it.

It is seemingly in my mind that having discoveries made and methods of accomplishment accrued via the space competition; why is it an inordinate proposition such benefit could be realised at depth also?

In reply to #40

06/09/2010 6:47 PM

It is seemingly in my mind that having discoveries made and methods of accomplishment accrued via the space competition; why is it an inordinate proposition such benefit could be realised at depth also?

Its not, but you have to have a better reason than just because.

And as far as have an analogy of space, compared to the deep, you must remember that allot of that was PR. The reason as I stated earlier was a military advantage to (with a lack of a better word) justify working in the deep.

p911

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #41

06/09/2010 7:01 PM

Re: the analogy with working in space - it also must be remembered that the maximum differential pressure in space (between the external environment and the "living area") is 1 bar.

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #42

06/09/2010 7:10 PM

There was a space Cadette sitting at one bar, nice start for a joke Mate.

In reply to #45

06/09/2010 7:18 PM

Go on then - think up a punch-line! (my brain hurts).

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

In reply to #47

06/09/2010 7:39 PM

There was a space Cadette sitting at one bar.

He: "My brain hurts"

Other: "What happened?"

He: "Too much pressure"

Other: "In your head"

He: "No, just being here ads 1 bar 2 many innocent people. I want my life back!"

Other: "Just leave the bar then!"

He: "Gotta fiver? Can't pay the Tender, I'll pay you back."

Yep, that sarcasm valve of mine does need an overhaul, Ky.

In reply to #40

06/09/2010 7:11 PM

"I can only say that if this analogy were taken as gospel the reality of the space race would be two competing enterprises."

I am not sure if I understand what you are saying, but the race to the Moon was exactly that! The Soviet Union and the United States of America were the two competing entities. I assume you remember that?

If there was no competition there likely would have never been a Moon landing, even by now.

"Fine, there you have it but were this analogy applied to a thought of space exploration neither would it have occurred and what loss we would be from lack of it."

I think I may have answered that in my second paragraph.

"It is seemingly in my mind that having discoveries made and methods of accomplishment accrued via the space competition; why is it an inordinate proposition such benefit could be realised at depth also?"

Well, there has to be a compelling reason. So far, there is none at all, zero, zip, nada.

Let's review recent world history. Why was there a space race? The space race started as a competition for technology. Immediately after WWII the Soviet Union and the US made a mad dash to grab as many German rocket scientists and their equipment as possible. The US was lucky to get Werner Von Braun (inventor of the German V2), which gave us a leg up. He had a dream of sending a rocket to the Moon.

The technology scramble at the time was over building rockets capable of delivering atomic warheads (intercontinental missiles) around the world. That technology was not very public, but essential as an arms race was developing. However, that was only a part of the competition.

Have you heard of Nikita Sergeyevich Khrushchev's famous speech, "We will bury you!" What he meant, contrary to what most people believe, was that the USSR was not going to nuke the US, but the USSR would surpass the US in economic output, matching the US refrigerator for refrigerator, car for car, etc. Competing enterprises; USSR and US.

The larger thrust of the competition was idealogical. It was Communism versus Democracy (free enterprise). As a means to demonstrate that, the USSR put a satellite into orbit (Sputnik). This was a both a great technological achievement and a brilliant psychological weapon. The technology was one way to prove that a payload could not only be lifted above the Earth's atmosphere (the original V2 did that), but lift it into orbit. This proved a payload (atomic weapon) could be launched to any place on the planet. The psychology was to spread fear and demonstrate superior technological power. And it did!

The US had been working on a lot of other technologies, but not so much with orbital spacecraft. While Sputnik did not really provide much of a technical advantage as a satellite (all it did was beep, but it had no other functionality), it was still a PR success.

This forced the hand of the US to do something in kind. A space race was born. The Federal agency NACA became NASA and after a rocky start the US reached parity with the USSR.

President Kennedy realized that the status quo was not enough. The bar had to be raised in order to surpass the USSR in such a way as to render the US as the clear winner, thus proving Democracy was superior to Communism. The goal was the Moon.

This was the compelling reason for space exploration. It wasn't commercial exploitation, it wasn't because one man had a dream, it was idealogical politics.

Unfortunately, the bottom of the ocean floor does nothing for us as a nation, there is no compelling reason to do it and there is no economic advantage for BP or anyone else to change the way they do the business of drilling in deep water. Why spend more to get the same result?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #46

06/09/2010 7:26 PM

Thanks AH

All those eggs have been hatched. That is exactly what I was on about. Those gave us stick free pans and computers. What will repairing something, that has failed terribly, bring us? Eff all, it will just keep that dinosaur alive for a little bit longer. Its over and the sooner one reprograms the better. I'd rather have a horror with an end than a never ending horror.

Not always is the future in the past, sometimes quantum leaps happen for no reason at all. Boiler makers will be one of the last to know I suppose, Ky.

In reply to #46

06/09/2010 7:46 PM

Quite right, until a strange duck begins to mine the mountains under the sea to support a new technology eh?

In reply to #46

06/10/2010 10:08 AM

And where the Soviets went wrong is the US measured output by finished product, while the USSR measure output by raw materials consumed.

USSR, had the natural resource that surpassed the US, whether it be productive farmland, or mining, there is of course more to itm but thats is a distraction.

In reply to #32

06/10/2010 11:59 AM

"Quote" There has to be a compelling reason (savings) to put your workforce 5,000 feet below the surface

What is the compelling reason for going into space?

In reply to #65

06/10/2010 12:06 PM

There have been many scientific/technical advances that can directly be traced back to the space program.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #65

06/10/2010 2:07 PM

So, your logic is:

We should go to the ocean floor precisely because there is no compelling reason to go to space.

That's an interesting argument.

Register to Reply
Guru

06/09/2010 7:07 PM

Sorry all

You are not only discussing if the chook or the egg was first but are speculating on chickens to hatch from that. The OP is right about need being the mother of all invention.

Bottom line (just for me):

If there is anything that should be discouraged it would be R&D in the field of oil exploration. Use that knowledge base for projects not as sinister and mind boggling as the one at hand. Anything can be done but at what cost Ronseto?

Even the mining industry has the technology to dig deeper but they are smart and stop digging when it becomes too,..... well,...not profitable. If the oil barrons haven't got the technology to suck safely they shouldn't have a permit to do so. If 200 feet is the technical limit, so be it. Just leave the stuff that can potentially all ruin our lives were it is. Make arrangements and change ones habits and as some say "Dog given rights" to rule the planet.

Not more encouragement to harvest but less greed is asked for and more humbleness, respect and discretion in dealing with what is beneath us and makes life so easy. For every action there is a reaction, how ever small or large one dimensions it. We are not the Captains of this ship, aim higher! Much higher!!

What a waste of all kinds of resources just to keep a dieing industry on a drip. The patient has died! The hemorrhage is just the symptom. Look to the future and breed other new things. Put that structure down there, by all means and make it a tourist attraction. Build it and they will come. "This is were the oil industry died" would be a nice placate. Like in "this is were Jesse James was shot." They are still making money out of that shooting I suppose?

The valve governing my cynicism has malfunctioned again. Not enough pressure to keep going at this depth.

If, as a good Christian, I am not allowed to work on a Sunday and walking on Water could be described as work, would I not be sinning, if I did it anyway?

R.I.P

Ky.

In reply to #44

06/10/2010 12:05 PM

"Quote" Even the mining industry has the technology to dig deeper but they are smart and stop digging when it becomes too,..... well,...not profitable.

That is true, but only because they haven't exhausted their resources yet. When they do, they will have to dig deeper. The same goes with oil.

06/09/2010 7:50 PM

I think you would get less oil leaks.

The incentive to do it exactly right would be 'supreme'.

Mind you if you suffer a high pressure gas pocket intrusion, you'd be instantly dead.

But the gas/oil is less likely to get out. It would just fill up the habitat, which by necessity would be very securely mounted to the bottom due to the buoyancy and currents.

USS Thresher (SSN-593)

USS Scorpion (SSN-589)

test depth

(the freezing of the ballast blow might also interest)

In reply to #51

06/09/2010 8:05 PM

(the freezing of the ballast blow might also interest)

The freezing of the ballast blow precipitated a crunch inaudible to all but the crunched. God rest their souls....

In reply to #52

06/09/2010 9:25 PM

I was referring to the physics

Moving on: From 1997;

www.offshore-mag.com/index/article-display/23...

The sorts of things that can happen in the drilling environment/undersea habitat.

Guru

In reply to #53

06/09/2010 9:56 PM

This is sort of for scale; PDF or 'quick view' at link at foot.

The oil is 18,000 ft below the sea floor. (3.4 miles) Rig is a mile above. (total drill string = 4.4 miles)

So would being a mile closer be much of an advantage?

Also;

What do you do with the 3 miles of rock?

How do you power the rig?

How do you clean the work area?

How do you supply materials?

How many 'docking events' have to be 'perfect'?

(I'm not 'knocking the idea' - just asking questions)

WHAT HAPPENED ON THE DEEPWATER HORIZON

In reply to #54

06/09/2010 10:32 PM

Wow 34point5

All this information makes my explosives approach even more feasible, if not a must. Shut that thing down and do it now!

Change feet to meters, if one likes. Introduce it as a must have last resort shut down to all existing rigs. Beats having to wait for the next one and not knowing what to do other than to make things very complex. Columbus egg ring a bell?

I'm spending too much time on this, gotta go, Ky.

In reply to #54

06/10/2010 12:22 PM

"Quote" I'm not 'knocking the idea' - just asking questions

I have the idea, not the answers. Those answers won't be forth coming until someone picks up on the idea and has the money and resources to develop it.

In reply to #53

06/09/2010 10:03 PM

Thank you

I should have had that information a while back. Anonymous Hero was right when he said : "leave it to the experts" very early in some thread regarding this "incident"

They knew all along this was going to happen at some time, that is what I get out of it.

Very informative, thanks again, Ky.

PS: reply to my approach from Horizon:

Dear ,
Thank you so much for taking the time to think about and submit your proposed solution regarding the Horizon incident. Your submission has been reviewed for its technical merits. A similar approach has already been considered or planned for possible implementation. All of us on the Horizon Support Team appreciate your thoughts and efforts.

Sincerely yours,
Horizon Support Team

Is this an incident? Why don't they call a spade a spade? It is a fully blown humanly caused bloody catastrophe. Gosh these spin doctors have a lot to answer for.

In reply to #55

06/09/2010 10:34 PM

Hi Ky

That is a better response than most have seem to have got.

I had a conversation on something else yesterday that triggered a wee epiphany on the charge design and void/fracture/leak path sealing problem. I'll have a bit more of a think & PM you.

In reply to #57

06/09/2010 10:47 PM

Thanks

You see, I just don't have the time to write a paper about it, otherwise my concept would not have led to so many misunderstandings. I walked around the Island a bit yesterday and saw what the direct blast area of a high explosive charge in Granite looks like. They did move a bit of rock in the old days. I should have had my camera with me but I could go out and take some shots later on. Very interesting to look at, Ky.

In reply to #57

06/10/2010 12:13 AM

I don't think they will ask for, or accept help from the East like with the Shuttle service. But there is hope for Change.

In reply to #55

06/10/2010 12:24 AM

From what I have read the explosion idea was considered (ala Russian experience) and rejected due to the pressence of clathrates - something to do with an uncontrollable situation. It is strictly courtesy that the team on the incident respond at all to any of the suggestions.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #55

06/10/2010 10:13 AM

Is this an incident? Why don't they call a spade a spade? It is a fully blown humanly caused bloody catastrophe. Gosh these spin doctors have a lot to answer for.

it was not advised by their attorney's to say it like it is.

06/09/2010 10:57 PM

Sorry Ronseto, I just noticed I am hijacking your thread. I'll will refrain, Ky.

06/10/2010 2:18 PM

Is it better than current technology? I think so, but that won't be known until someone invests the time, money and effort to explore the possibilities. The fact that they are now drilling at such great depths tells me oil is getting harder to find at shallower depths. The potential for failure or disaster at great depths is increasing. It's only a matter of time before more oil disasters happen. I don't want to sound like the harbinger of impending doom, but all efforts must be employed to eliminate oil disasters or the oceans of the world will die and with that, civilization itself as we know it. I'm not concerned for myself, but for my Grandchildren and all the grandchildren of the world.

In reply to #70

06/10/2010 2:26 PM

I suggest you don't hold your breath waiting for this one! If anyone was interested and they started today it would be years and I don't believe you are going to find an interested party that has the capability of designing or manufacturing the rig.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #70

06/10/2010 2:48 PM

"The fact that they are now drilling at such great depths tells me oil is getting harder to find at shallower depths."

No. Actually, they drill at these depths because the government (federal and state) laws prohibits the oil companies from drilling in shallower waters.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 72 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

34point5 (4); Ace Boeringa (1); Anonymous Hero (8); bwire (5); chrisg288 (5); dvmdsc (4); Henry at United Precast (1); JohnDG (3); ky (8); phoenix911 (13); ronseto (11); russ123 (9)

Previous in Forum: Anyone from LPG bottling Plant???   Next in Forum: Roland Press Manuals

Advertisement