Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Size and Weight of Generator Transformer   Next in Forum: Making & Breaking Current
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

7 comments
Anonymous Poster

Short Circuit in Sea Water?

06/24/2010 7:18 AM

i am having 220 kv over head line. now if the conductor of 220kv line falls in sea water and none of the protection operates (assume), than what will happen?? whether all the water in sea will get sock. all the boats and ships in sea water will get electrical shock??? say for atleast an instant??? please take this question seriously. your answer would help me in understanding this beautiful world of electrical power. thanks

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1064

Re: short ckt in sea water????

06/24/2010 7:34 AM

Good Answers: 148

Re: short ckt in sea water????

06/24/2010 7:35 AM

As the sea is at earth potential then the sea will boil where it contacts the cable. Till such time as either the cable melts due to the high current delivery or the power source fails due to the low impedance load.

Boats floating on the surface will be ok as they will be at the same potential as the sea. unless the cable falls onto a steel ship then it will become part of the conductor and be at the cables potential. anybody swimming contacting the ship from the water will suffer electrocution.

Good Answers: 10

Re: Short Circuit in Sea Water?

06/24/2010 8:00 AM

If the protection doesn't operates you should rather be worried abot your job instead of enjoying the beauty of roasted fish direct from the sea.

By the way how did you construct a transmission line in the sea and for whose benifit?

Engineering Fields - Environmental Engineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 101

06/24/2010 9:19 AM

in that case my friend you will have a big problem, especially if children are playing in the water. ever wondered what roasted people look like?? if you don't want to find out then ensure that this never happens. thanks

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 547

06/24/2010 12:00 PM

Come on people, use your brains...

People would be boiled or poached, not roasted. Roasting is a dry process...

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 598

06/24/2010 10:22 PM

Ooh, Saint Elmo's fireworks!!

But why the assumption that the fault devices wouldn't work? Just that other day, I had a situation with a mislabeled circuit breaker. Intending to energize a newly installed sump pump, I closed the breaker--which turned out to feed a damaged line ending in the ocean. The 480/3 breaker tripped properly and safely within a few ms.

06/26/2010 4:46 AM

thanks ppl for taking seriously my question and your valuable feedback. what i conclud is power station generator will fail along with the transmission cable. thanks again.

Reply to Forum Thread 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); DVader1000 (1); JRaef (1); lyn (1); mountk2 (1); Tobugrynbak (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Size and Weight of Generator Transformer   Next in Forum: Making & Breaking Current
You might be interested in: Water Jetting Equipment and Water Blasters, Water Pumps, Line-shaft Spools