CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Sand Blasting   Next in Forum: Is "Stainless Steel" a Copyrighted Name?
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

19 comments

Tacky Polymer

10/06/2011 6:55 PM

I am looking for a supplier for a "tacky" polymer similiar in properties to the childs toy "sticky hands" or "wacky wall walker". This tacky polymer can be found in these toys all over the U.S., but I can't find the trade name or a supplier. Eventually, I will need to get a large quantity of "O-Ring" shaped parts made from this tacky resin.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Tacky Polymer
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
United States - Member - USA! Hobbies - Musician - Sound Man Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - More than a Hobby Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 99

Re: Tacky Polymer

10/06/2011 7:08 PM

polystyrene plastic
TPR/TPE - Thermoplastic Rubbers
This is where to buy the pellets:
http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/products/6959076/TPE_TPR_Material_for_soft_toy.html

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1096
In reply to #1

10/06/2011 9:53 PM

Are you sure?

10/07/2011 12:52 PM

I appreciate the responses so far. I do not think this "tacky" plastic resin is a polystyrene or rubber based TPE.

I still need help with identifying the specific polymer that is used for these very commonly avaliable sticky hands toys. Of course, I would prefere to identify a U.S. supplier for this material.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - USA! Hobbies - Musician - Sound Man Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - More than a Hobby Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

In reply to #3

10/07/2011 1:23 PM

I'm not sure of anything...

That's what the internet said was the materials in the "sticky hands" But I've never actually used the stuff.

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1096

10/07/2011 1:31 PM
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member, but planning to be an Old Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 56 Year Member

Good Answers: 224

10/07/2011 6:58 PM

I would think the formula is a closely held secret. After all, there really isn't much there except the formula and marketing.

It sounds as if you will order from someone as opposed to manufacturing yourself. Have you considered contacting Dr. Fad, the man who brought the Wacky WallWalker to America?

As I review the info at the site, it looks like the WallWalkers are made elsewhere, and Dr. Fad is the importer and marketer. A contact with him might not go anywhere.

Guru

10/07/2011 7:14 PM

United States Patent 4,884,989 December 5, 1989

Inventors: Wong; Tak K. (Hong Kong, HK)

Assignee: T. K. Wong & Associates, Ltd. (HK)

Title: Toy for tumbling down vertical surface

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1='4,884,989'.WKU.&OS=PN/4,884,989&RS=PN/4,884,989

"The material includes a tackifier which imparts a tackiness or stickiness to the surface of the material. Such materials are polymeric and their constituents are well known and it is necessary only to blend suitable constituents to achieve the desired degree of deformability and tackiness according to the weight of the toy. The tackiness is such that dirt adhering to the caps 9,10,11,12 may be removed by placing a piece of adhesive tape on each cap and then removing the tape, the tape carrying off the dirt with it." "The preferred constituents of the [sticky] domed caps 9,10,11,12 are polymerizing styrene, butadiene naphthenic oil, calcium carbonate and hydrogenated polyterpene resin, the latter being the tackifier."

You might try contacting these guys:
Everite Industries, Ltd. Flat B, 9/F, Yiko Industrial Building, 10 Ka Yip Street, Chaiwan, Hong Kong

Or these guys are in the US:"Sticky Snappy Balls", "Sticky Butterfly" KIPP Brothers 9760 Mayflower Park Drive Carmel, Indiana 46032 Phone: [not given] Email: [email removed] Web: http://www.kippbro.com/Home.asp?Id=37

CR4 Admin - email address removed

From the CR4 Rules: Do not post phone numbers or email addresses. The CR4 Admin will delete all phone numbers and email addresses posted in threads or comments. You can share this information via the CR4 internal messaging system.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member, but planning to be an Old Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 56 Year Member

Good Answers: 224
In reply to #7

10/07/2011 7:20 PM

That looks like a home run to me. GA

I see you have a 'stick with it' problem solving tactic.

In reply to #8

10/07/2011 7:33 PM

If at first you don't succeed, keep failing...

you're bound to get it right eventually.

But I did get polymerizing styrene on the first try...

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #7

10/07/2011 11:12 PM

Inventor ..Tak K... How appropriate.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

10/07/2011 11:17 PM
Register to Reply

10/08/2011 12:47 PM

Thanks!

Looks like a couple of good leads have been posted. Special thanks to RVZ717 for not giving up.

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 1

10/09/2011 2:03 AM

Could be partially cured silicone. This material is used inside some electrical connectors as a seal to prevent moisture from entering around the pins. I ordered a sample sheet once, I believe it was from DuPont.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #13

10/09/2011 2:38 AM

Do a search for silicone gel or partially vulcanized silicone.

Dow Corning makes precured gel strips, gaskets, etc.

http://www.dowcorning.com/content/etronics/etronicsprecured/default.asp

They also sell kits for you to make your own.

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 2

10/10/2011 10:40 AM

Do you want your "o-ring" shaped parts to act as o-rings or just to walk down walls? There are likely several differents material families/chemistries you could use to get a sticky substance, but what else does it need to do? If it needs to have mechanical, thermal, chemical, lifetime properties, you would need to consider polyurethathe, silicone, PVC, or thermoplastic elastomers as well.

There is a big price variation in them, so you need to understand what you need them to do so you get what you need without paying for a lot of properties you don't need.

You also need to consider the end use and any applicable regulations. Some "tackifiers" are restricted or banned for certain end uses and/or countries of sale.

Register to Reply

In reply to #15

10/10/2011 11:10 AM

Hey polymerfan - you may be my salvation. All of the Engineers are overthinking my question. I have an application where I have extensively tested the exact same polymer as is used in the sticky hands toys and wall walkers (you can find these toys allmost anyplace, but they all seem to be made in China).

The wall walker resin is just right for my application. The o-ring shape is only required to hold the polymer in place.

I am just looking for a trade name and supplier (preferably in the U.S.) who will sell me reasonable quantities of the same tacky polymer that is used in the wall walker toys. Otherwise, I am left to buy vast quantities of "sticky hands" toys from the novelty toy importers and melt them down to mold the o-ring shapes for my gadget.

"Help me Spock"

Thanks,

Arnold

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #16

10/10/2011 5:36 PM

Did you see the link to the Dow material I posted above? This stuff is exactly like the wall walker material. Buy a sheet of the stuff from them to try out. It comes sandwiched between two plastic films so it's easy to cut to shape. If you call them they'll probably send you a free sample.

Register to Reply

In reply to #17

10/11/2011 11:00 AM

Thanks stringman. I looked at the Dow site.

I really don't need to try any "new" materials though - since I have allready found that the polymer used for the "sticky hands" and "sticky butterflies" works well for my application - and it must be cheaper than dirt - since you can buy these toys (imported from China) for about a nickel.

I'm going to try to find a supplier in China who is currently making these toys and see if they will supply me with commercial quantities of these o-ring shaped parts that I need.

Register to Reply
Participant

08/02/2014 5:19 PM

Arnold,

Did you ever find anything out about this material? I am looking for the exact same thing to create an o-ring type material for my project. The sticky hands material works good and I would like to find out more about it. What it is called, where do I get it? etc.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 19 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Arnold Klein (4); Doorman (2); lyn (2); Matt Mann (1); polymerfan (1); reefdiver (1); rickwil (1); RVZ717 (4); stringman (3)

Previous in Forum: Sand Blasting   Next in Forum: Is "Stainless Steel" a Copyrighted Name?

Advertisement