CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Aluminum and Copper Bar Attach   Next in Forum: Cable Size Identification
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

19 comments
Participant

Calculate Fuel Consumption Per Day for Diesel Generator?

03/15/2012 1:19 AM

This is possibly a simple question to an electrical engineer but I am not an electrical engineer :)

I need to calculate fuel consumption rate per day for a diesel generator. The information I have are electrical loads in A and the fact that the generator will be 550KVa.

Can anyone tell me how to calculate this?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 507

Re: Calculate Fuel Consumption per day for Diesel Generator?

03/15/2012 1:45 AM

Good Answers: 1

03/15/2012 2:25 AM
Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Associate

Good Answers: 1

03/15/2012 2:42 AM

Engine manufacturer offer curve indicating %engine loading Vs fuel consumption in grams/BHP. Optimal engine loading corresponding to best operating point is desirable for energy efficiency. Value around 160 g/KWH is best known.

as you have the loading data you can measure fuel consumption by dip level or flow meter. and put it on specific fuel consumption chart.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 36

03/15/2012 4:28 AM

Dipstick (no offence).

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1087

Re: Calculate Fuel Consumption Per Day for Diesel Generator?

03/15/2012 10:34 AM

The information you provide is not adequate for any real determination of fuel consumption. Generator load; type of generator; operating environment of generator; overall condition of generator (old/new) and many other factors are involved.

Not everything can be answered by manipulation of a mathmetical formula.

Call the manufacturer of the generator.

If you don't have a generator, the tables provided are more than adequate.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 578

03/15/2012 2:00 PM

Daily fuel consumption cannot really be calculated but it of course can be measured. The wear and tear of the diesel engine, temperature of the engine environment, the quality of the fuel, combined with the varying load of the electric circuits will change the consumption rate constantly. Now one can make a reasonable estimate by using the generator manufacturer's fuel consumption versus electric load curves and estimating the electric power usage one will nominally be consumed in a day.

03/15/2012 9:19 PM

you need to calculate diesel consumption based on the weight of diesel Not Volume in Ltr or Gallan ISO method,You will get Misleading fig if you measure Volume.as the Volume changes with Temperature(Volume increase with Temperature)

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 28

03/16/2012 1:27 PM

Dear Mr. Duffem,

It is calculated on the BASIS of SPECIFIC FUEL CONSUMPTION and 0.28 Lb./BHP is the STANDARD at near FULL LOAD. At Partial Load - the Diesel Consumption will be high.

This topic raised few times and you will find quite a lot response from CR4 MEMBERS, from the Link given below:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/search/sitesearch?do=show&sort=textmatchrank&srch=Diesel%20Consumption&order=asc&Pg=1

I have also responded earlier and the Link is:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/comment/699643

dhayanandhan Power-User
Join Date: May 2008 Location: CHENNI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA. Posts: 316 Good Answers: 1

#

Find in discussion
Re: Calculating Consumption for a Diesel Generator 02/27/2011 4:33 PM

Dear Guest,

The Diesel Consumption depends upon the Efficiency of the Engine and Generator. An efficient and GOOD set/system will have a Diesel Consumption of 206.28 gms/kW.Hr. as SPECIFIC FUEL CONSUMPTION at FULL LOAD.

At 75% FULL LOAD the same good DG SET will have a SPECIFIC FUEL CONSUMPTION of 205.9 gms/kW.Hr.

At No-Load the Diesel Consumption will be 10 to 10.2% of the Full Load consumption. Adultered Diesel will not fit in to this band, which will be less in CALORIFIC VALUE.

We should always try to run the set at Full Load or near Full Load in order to achieve best Fuel Economy.

A similar question appeared in this Forum about 6 months back and you can search in this Forum and many CR4 Members responded with their comments. In that Forum you will find that the Specific Fuel Consumption in FPS unit as 0.28 Lb/H.P.Hr (since I studied in FPS SYSTEM) posted by me.

Thanks,

DHAYANANDHAN.S

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Mining Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 12

03/20/2012 1:32 AM

You can always put a meter on the fuel line.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 578
In reply to #9

03/20/2012 9:17 AM

But what if the fuel system recirculates back to the fuel tank?

In reply to #10

03/24/2012 4:20 AM

It is normal for gasoline costs to rise in the spring. But it is not even April yet and already they are sky rocketing to nearly their highest amounts ever. The financial expense makes it hard for individuals who enjoy driving to justify their passion. But we all have to sacrifice in these hard times. Below are many tips for economizing on fuel, while still experiencing some time behind the wheel. You can get help paying for gas with an installment loan.https://personalmoneynetwork.com/installment-loans/

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Mining Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #10

03/24/2012 2:00 PM

There are several models out there that can be used. The gen-set we used at one site I had to hook up a meter that could handle a fuel recirulation system. It's a pretty standard set-up.

Guru
Australia - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - H316 - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 73

03/29/2012 3:59 AM

Ok, if we combine duffeyem's two original posts he's asking for the fuel consumption per day and in litres per kWhr for a 550 kVA diesel generator set and the fuel consumption per kWhr. Referring to the table of fuel consumption rates for DGs that has been quoted several times now in both threads. Now in the chart they quote generator sizes in kilowatts kW but normally generator sizes or capacities are stated in kilovolt Amps kVA so I will assume that they mean kVA where they state kW. The reasons for this will become obvious later.

Unfortunately the table doesn't state the figures for a 550 kVA generator so I took the figures for the 500 kVA and 600 kVA and averaged them to get a starting point for a 550 kVA DG as quoted in one of duffyem's threads.

I then extrapolated the results to get the table shown below.

You will notice that there are four columns at the right of the table that contain the figures duffeyem asked for with the left two columns being preceded by a greater than symbol ≥ and the right two by a less than ≤ symbol. Now the problem is that we don't know the power factor so the left two columns contain the fuel consumption in millilitres per hour per kilowatt hour ( ml kWhr-1 ) and litres per day ( l day-1 ) for a power factor of 1.00. However, in the real world it is for all intense and purposes impossible to have an AC load that has a PF (Power Factor) of 1.00 so I have included figures for a PF of 0.85, which is probably the worst PF you would expect to come across without having some sort of PF correction, in the last two columns on the right.

Unfortunately duffeyem didn't elude to the actual load either so to make things simpler I have taken the figures above for fuel consumption per day and fuel consumption per kilowatt hour and plotted them on two charts.

The first chart show the fuel consumption in litres per day ( l day-1 ) for a PF of 1.00 in BLUE and a PF of 0.85 in RED over a range of loads from 25% all the way up to 100% for a 550 kVA DG

The second chart shows the fuel consumption in millilitres per kilowatt hour ( ml kWhr-1) for a PF of 1.00 in BLUE and a PF of 0.85 in RED for a 550 kVA DG

The interesting thing to note about this chart is that the fuel consumption per kWhr is lowest when the DG is running at around 75% load. If you think about it this makes sense as the efficiency of internal combustion engines peaks at about 75% load.

Now I believe that's about as detailed and accurate answers to duffeyem's questions in both threads that is possible given that we do not have sufficient data to give more definitive answers. If duffeyem or anybody else has any further questions then please don't hesitate to ask.

Good Answers: 17
In reply to #13

03/29/2012 9:19 AM

WOW. Excellent extrapolation of limited data from the OP with good knowledge of the electrical load and engine-gen operating factors.

May I steal, plagarize, or otherwise make use and/or quote this post?

Australia - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - H316 - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

In reply to #14

03/29/2012 9:27 AM

Please feel free to do what you would like with it. If you would like a copy of the Excell spreadsheet send me a personal message with you eMail address and whether your running the 2010 version of excell and I'll send it to you.

In reply to #13

09/07/2014 7:56 PM

Hello there,

i really appreciate your solution to the above problem '' Diesel Generator foel consumption''.

Email Removed - CR4 Admin

Can i have excel sheet for the fuel consumption estimate. thanks

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Commentator

05/15/2012 6:37 AM

hello duff, this is the way i help you to your problem check this out !http://www.dieselserviceandsupply.com/Diesel_Fuel_Consumption.aspx

keep up the good work guys

In reply to #16

05/16/2012 6:52 AM

Dear toink,
You really need to read the posts in a thread before diving in head first with an answer. If you had you would have noticed that the exact link you posted was previously quoted in post #1 of this thread by SolarEagle two months ago and since then has been discussed extensively in this thread.

06/29/2012 2:09 AM

calculate fuel consume as per diesell power generator. good fuel saving generator are reduce fuel and give maximum power consume.

Generator on rent

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Register to Reply 19 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

abele (1); AltheaR (1); ambrado (1); bakerjohn (2); Crabtree (1); dhayanandhan (1); lyn (1); masu (3); murali (1); nobodysomebody47 (1); perennial (1); redfred (2); Ried (1); SolarEagle (1); toink (1)

Previous in Forum: Aluminum and Copper Bar Attach   Next in Forum: Cable Size Identification

Advertisement