CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: How Using Dummy Load When Testing Can Affect Efficiency Of VR   Next in Forum: Equipment Burden
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

11 comments
Power-User

Diesel Tanks Lightning Protection

04/25/2012 8:32 AM

our diesel storage tanks for the emergency genset are placed in open air. do we need protection of these fuel tanks against direct lightning storkes.if yes,then how should we do that? is there any standard dealing specifically with lightning protection of fuel tanks?

help needed please.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1139

Re: diesel tanks lightning protection

04/25/2012 8:59 AM

Ask your local regulatory agency. If required, hire a qualified electrician. Yes. There are standards, but since you don't tell us where you are, just consult that local regulatory agency. Maybe they will help you.

If your organization has insurance coverage, you could ask the insurance representative to educate you.

You are obviously not qualified to be in charge of such an installation and should hire someone locally who is qualified, who knows the regulations, and can successfully manage the installation for you..

Asking this type of safety related question of total strangers, whose qualifications are unknown to anyone, shows a lack of professionalism and responsibility.

Hire someone who knows what they are doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like I'm wasting my time.

In reply to #1

04/25/2012 9:51 AM

i am really sorry for my question.in fact i am angery at my teachers who did not tell me that to apply ohm's law you must first mention where you live because it is "localized".i mean it is strange every time the "Gurus" asking people where do you live for us to answer your question ( if some one asked what is the difference between three phase and single phase newtork)

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 591
In reply to #3

04/25/2012 10:16 AM

Maybe this will help. If not, it certainly illustrates why the location of the installation is paramount in designing the protection technique, a concept the local teaching profession might to well to take on board and then distribute, by the sound of it.

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1139
In reply to #3

04/25/2012 10:17 AM

If you do not understand that geographic location will determine the rules and regulations governing these installations, you are certainly in the wrong line of work.

Most of your previous questions exhibit a total lack of understanding of the task at hand, as does this one.

Asking strangers to do your job for you will not save lives if you botch the installation because of a lack of knowledge.

Hire a qualified electrician, and stay out of his way.

United States - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Electrical Construction

Good Answers: 58
In reply to #3

04/25/2012 10:23 AM

collyaar,

Ohms law and 3 phase vs single phase aside, your specific question is in fact very "localized".

Requirements and specifications for LP vary.

The "Gurus" request locations because many of the questions asked here are "localized"

"Commentators" such as yourself fail to enter any location in your profile leaving us to guess where on the planet you are located all the while trying to provide accurate information to you.

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #3

04/25/2012 11:02 AM

I do agree with lyn. Everyone should knew their own local regulation and requirement for such installation. It does not mean that all the installation are the same. We do have a diesel tank for our generator but in my country we did not need to ground these diesel tank. Other country may need to do so.

That why like us to answer your question we do need accurate information .

Management is just like a bunch of Monkey sitting on a tall tree. Some climb to the highest branch and some at the lowest branch. The highest Monkey look down and see a lot of happy faces but the lower Monkey looks up and see nothing but all the....
Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Electrical Construction

Good Answers: 58

04/25/2012 9:38 AM

In addition to Lyn's points, if it is determined that LP is required for your tanks contact a Lighting Protection Contractor.

Not knowing were you or the tanks are located, I can only give some examples of qualified suppliers/contractors:

Union Lightning Protection

Thompson Lightning Protection

Superior Lightning Protection

Heary Brothers Lightning Protection

Harger Lightning Protection

All of these names can be Googled as they all have web sites you can view.

Depending on your location any of the above may only provide design and materials at which point it will be your responsibility to hire a UL approved (or your local equivalent) installation contractor.

I have worked with each of these companies over the years with no complaints.

I have to agree with Lyn, it appears that you are in over your head on this task.

Hire someone that specializes in this field or you may wind up taking a direct hit

Good Answers: 5

Re: Diesel Tanks Lightning Protection

04/26/2012 3:19 AM

It should be done according to IEC/BS/LPI standards.

Good Answers: 26

04/26/2012 9:19 AM

All of the advice on this forum is free, so it's pretty easy to assign a value to it. The simple answer is that it may well be very important, and the fact that you took the time to explore some options for assuring yourself is great. Your locality, should you provide it or not, will govern the action you might take, and if you do give it out, all of the replies will read something like this. You knucklehead, of course you need to consult with an engineer who knows the codes, and this free advice is priceless, you knucklehead. Call your fuel supplier, ask him who designs/permits their tank install program, or call your local building inspector, who may require a building permit, if you don't have one, before he refers you to the electrical inspector. In small towns it may be the same person. You would generally need the permit, especially commercial, and it would force you to address any code issues, I would highly recommend it. You may also need a basin under the tanks, which can be expensive, but very good practice, and code in some areas.

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 1

04/26/2012 10:54 PM

Yes, there are laws and regulations and standards applicable for diesel tank protection. As some one has rightly pointed out, seek expert advice on how to install the LA (Lightning Arrestor). It is not just that easy or as simple as putting a rod on top of a mast and connect the rod and the earth pit with a wire. The engineer need to take a lot of factors into consideration prior to suggesting a suitable LA

Do not take me wrong. The geographic region you live in plays a very vital role in getting specific replies from the region in which other members live in, which in my opinion is important. It is true that the ohm's law is applicable everywhere universally but it is equally important that for installing a LA you need local help, which only people of that region can help you with.

While this is a forum to share knowledge and help each other, it would do good to all, if we hold our high horses and focus more on technical aspects.

Register to Reply
Commentator

05/13/2012 8:56 AM

just call electrician and put a bronce ground rod for about 6meters and after that use ground wire number 3/8 awg bolted in to your extrnal fuel cell to ground rod, to protect lightning ,

this will protect you guys ! according to our electrical standard think safety always

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

coolyaar (1); KJK/USA (2); lyn (2); madhavdivya (1); PFR (1); pnaban (1); PWSlack (1); Simon Wan (1); toink (1)

Previous in Forum: How Using Dummy Load When Testing Can Affect Efficiency Of VR   Next in Forum: Equipment Burden

Advertisement