CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: PLC 4-20mA Output   Next in Forum: Flowrate Control with VFD and Electropnuematic Control Valve
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

11 comments
Commentator

Level Transmitter Use as Flow Measurement

04/27/2012 11:00 PM

I've got a level transmitter in a syrup tank which controls' the level whereby opening the discharge valve when the level is high....closing when the level is low. at the output going to another process, the syrup is injected by a phosporic and flocullant dosing pumps in (ppm). my question is, can i use the level control of the syrup tank for the output dosing instead of the flowmeter?

thanks

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1137

Re: level transmitter use as flow measurement

04/27/2012 11:16 PM

Yes, if the flow never changes.

If the flow changes, use a flow meter.

In reply to #1

04/29/2012 10:06 PM

I bow to the master. Who would have thought engineering was comedy fodder. Game on...

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1137
In reply to #7

04/29/2012 10:24 PM

All the world's a stage.

Game off...

In reply to #8

04/29/2012 10:31 PM

Understood No. Enjoy your stage. Good by.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

Good Answers: 79

04/27/2012 11:26 PM

The description of your system is cryptic at best. However, in principle, it should be possible to control flow as change in level, similar to loss-in-weight solids feeders do, with the same inherent limitations.

Sounds like you already have a flowmeter. Why do you not want to use it?

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #2

04/29/2012 8:44 PM

i don't have one thats why this question. will use it for the ratio/proportion for the chemical dosing of the 2 pumps.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 79
In reply to #5

04/29/2012 9:06 PM

Sounds like you want to dose syrup with phosphoric acid and flocculant as it's being pumped from a tank to ?.

If you expect real, useful assistance, please attach a flow diagram sketch with complete data on all pumps involved, flow rates, and size of syrup tank. What are the characteristics of this 'syrup'?

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 591
In reply to #5

04/30/2012 4:25 AM

It is not possible to do meaningful flow-paced dosing without having a flowmeter on the output of which the dosing flow is to be based.

#1↑ is √.

Re: Level Transmitter Use as Flow Measurement

04/29/2012 1:56 AM

Yes, We can use it with out flow meter.

Using flow meter is advisable cause of reliability.

Now the Level Transmitter O/P will be directly proportional to the input of the second tank.

Register to Reply
Associate

04/29/2012 12:15 PM

No. Still no. If 'syrup' = food for human consumption & maybe some quality standards in terms of 'recipe', you'd be best advised to tread carefully. Heck, I like my cat too - you're not 'dosing' him (inaccurately), are you?

That said, if 'dosing pumps' are solenoid metering pumps e.g. LMI, they are calibrate-able and repeatable within a certain range of stroke & frequency. This assumes the check valves, foot valve, diaphragm, tubing, etc. didn't / doesn't get gunked up (yeah, right). If you don't change stroke, output can be an implied function of frequency, controlled and measured by analog input to the pump. Flowmeters @ such low rates - good luck (some of them are just frequency counters, anyway). There are no-flow switches for alarm purposes which sort of work.

To try to answer your question before I get tired - dosing pumps are very small displacement things (at least for the purposes of this conversation) - even a 55 gallon drum liquid level isn't gonna change fast enough to have any sort of reasonable PV change to implement a control loop. Your results may vary. Your circumstances may be different.

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #4

05/25/2012 3:23 AM

thank you all contributors.....much appreciated

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bigg (2); drmilr (3); khwajafaizunnoor (1); lyn (2); PWSlack (1); valski (2)

Previous in Forum: PLC 4-20mA Output   Next in Forum: Flowrate Control with VFD and Electropnuematic Control Valve

Advertisement