CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: What Is An Engineer?   Next in Forum: Does Anyone Know What This Is?
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

26 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 10

Reclaiming Used Sewing Machine Oil

04/28/2012 10:26 AM

I am looking for a method to filter used sewing machine oil. I have several industrial sewing machines that have to be oiled every day. Each has an overflow tube through which we collect the used oil. It amounts to a gallon every three months. I would like to reclaim the oil because it is over $25.00 per gallon.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 446

Re: Reclaiming used sewing machine oil.

04/28/2012 10:37 AM

That's an easy one. Either do it manually, or run your overflow through one of these, into an enclosed container. They are made for straining automotive paint or other finishes. Clean oil!!!! Cost? About 25 cents if bought in bulk.

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1095
In reply to #1

04/28/2012 10:47 AM

That's a GA if ever I saw one! Simple and cheap!

I'd probably line the paint strainer with a piece of 5 micron filter paper, or a coffee filter.

larger image

Filter paper packaged 100 or 50 circles to a box. Many other grades and sizes available. Call for any special requirements.

In reply to #2

04/28/2012 10:54 AM

I thought about the coffee filter, but it would be painfully slow.

But if he's hiring, I'll take the job.

Wife: How was work today honey?

Kramarat: It was great!!! I strained out a pint of oil. I'll do another tomorrow...............I'm saving the company all kinds of money. Next week I'm getting a raise because us oil strainers are joining the union.

Wife: Do you get a title with that raise? I'm tired of telling my friends that you strain oil for a living.

Kramarat: Yes. I will be a lubrication purification technician. Life is good!!!!

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #3

04/28/2012 11:08 AM

Come on. He said a gallon every three months.

Maple syrup flows faster than that.

Good Answers: 492
In reply to #4

04/28/2012 11:21 AM

Well then if its a union job that moves close to the speed of Maple syrup he will be required to get an assistant!

Slower than Molasses in the freezer is union speed you know!

"Posting information on the internet is rather like casting seeds to the wind. Once it leaves your hand you have little chances of getting it back and no control over where it may land or what may sprout from it in the future." tcmtech.
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 492

04/28/2012 11:38 AM

If you cant afford $25.00 in oil every three months you probably cant afford to run the machines either.

So what happens if you reuse the oil and plug something up and damage a machine?

Whats it cost in down time alone to repair one sewing machine?

"Posting information on the internet is rather like casting seeds to the wind. Once it leaves your hand you have little chances of getting it back and no control over where it may land or what may sprout from it in the future." tcmtech.
Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 584

04/28/2012 11:44 AM

There's a whole batch of confusing, contradictory information here.

First, if this oil you're trying to reclaim is only the oil that comes out of the overflow tube, stop over filling the sewing machines with too much oil. You might achieve this by adding a clear vertical tube on top of each overflow tube. This will slightly increase the volume of oil available in each machine but more importantly provide a visible oil level indication to prevent overfilling. You'll be making a visible reservoir oiler.

Second, oil at $25.00 a gallon is a high price compared to many lubricants but not an unreasonable price for precision lubrication. Even at $25.00 a gallon and an average recovery of four gallons a year recovered, this comes to only a recovery savings of $100 annually. Now if this oil recovery is per machine then I can see a financial incentive. However if a sewing machine is leaking this much oil then something else is very wrong. If instead this annual recovery is for your whole facility, then I do not see much of an advantage recovering this oil due to the added expenses of the recovery process will likely dissolve all of the savings.

In reply to #7

04/28/2012 12:06 PM

Thanks alot!!!!

Once again you've come along and screwed up a serious conversation.........................................just when I was about to get my cousin hired on, as the on site, government oil purity inspector.

Probably doesn't matter anyway..............................the greedy a$$holes in corporate are telling us that the Chinese can do the same job for pennies a day.

How am I supposed to make my payments on my new car?

I'm joining the "occupy" movement.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 584
In reply to #8

04/28/2012 12:15 PM

Once again?!?!

Was this your same cousin that wanted to mine asteroids for water, uranium and gold? I thought you already got him out of your house. Sorry.

In reply to #9

04/28/2012 8:52 PM

As tempting as it may be, please don't associate me with every crazy post on CR4.

Thanks.

I'll take ownership of my crazy......................tomorrow.............maybe a little later in the week.

Maybe next month....................year.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain - possibly to become "South Scotland" or "Non-Caledonia" from September 2016. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 591
In reply to #14

04/30/2012 4:40 AM

It's time to get off that microwaved water before someone gets hurt.

In reply to #8

04/28/2012 12:19 PM

This will also require input from the federal EPA, the OSHA, the NFPA, the Insurance Institute of America, the local, county and state environmental, occupational health and safety and workers compensation groups, all the frackers in the state, the local sales rep for oil, filters and buckets, plus other interested parties.

The total cost to the business owner will work out to about $43,560.00 USD per gallon of reclaimed oil.

This does not include compensation and subsidies for loss of revenue to the oil company who will be put out of business due to lack of repeat sales.

I'm in the wrong line of work.

In reply to #10

04/28/2012 1:25 PM

OMG I forgot about the government.

Good Answers: 3

Re: Reclaiming Used Sewing Machine Oil

04/28/2012 3:33 PM

run the used oil though a automobile oil filter. you will need a pump that produces approximately 30 psi. plus adapters and hoses. the pump and hoses must be oil resistent.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 44

04/28/2012 4:19 PM

The best method is not always the right method, and vice-versa.

The best method to recycle used oil is to add 10% fullers earth and 1% sulphuric acid and heat to 350degC, then pump through filters. This is known to give excellent results, however this would cost much more than $100/year (the cost of the oil).

Assuming your oil is hardly used or contaminated, it could probably be collected and re-used as is, and probably doesn't need filtration in the first place. At most, as has been suggested above, you could drain the overflows through a common filter (a coffee filter would be ideal) and collect quarterly or monthly. The cost would be only a few cents per gallon, and given the cost of the oil, it is probably not worth the hassle to exceed this cost or effort.

Power-User

04/29/2012 11:33 AM

Simply just buy cheaper oil...

04/29/2012 12:11 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I love the humor that a few of you have displayed. The only reason I want to reclaim the oil is that it is the best choice environmentally, Oh, and I am trying to be frugal.

I think it might be a good idea to call in the Feds and let the EPA spend a couple thousand of our tax dollars to make suggestions as to how I can throw it away without harming the environment. Yup. That has to be the best solution. Maybe I could trade it for some food stamps.

A hand without an arm is a useless tool

In reply to #16

04/29/2012 7:49 PM

Thanks for appreciating the humor. Hope some of the suggestions helped.

Contrary to popular belief, one of the biggest problems on here, is not rudeness.............................it's people that either don't understand, or can't take, a joke...................not even a little ribbing for that matter.

United States - Member - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member

Good Answers: 6

04/30/2012 3:47 AM

You did not say what the used oil looks like. Assuming the used oil is the same color as the new oil and has no visible contaminants in it, you could probobly just let it sit for a few days to let any dirt or metallic particles settle and then decant into a clean container being careful not to decant anything that may have settled to the bottom. If the oil is discolored then filtering wont do any good. Sewing machines should not be a high RPM or high heat machine, so discolored oil would indicate a problem and should not be re-used.

Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 112

04/30/2012 11:08 AM

Coffee and paint filters are for coffee and paint. Use an automotive oil filter and a filter mounting bracket. The mounting bracket, or housing will allow an inlet, and outlet. Just extend the inlet with a funnel, and elevate it. The outlet being lower will leak oil as gravity passes the oil through the filter, so you will want to collect it in some type of container for future use.

Another thought might be to just collect it as is, and put it in a squirt can and have the maintenance person stop buying the aerosol lube products they are using now for the less demanding lube places.

Lyn-Door Industries markets a converter that is said to convert used motor sewing machine oil into an octane booster when added to gasoline.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain - possibly to become "South Scotland" or "Non-Caledonia" from September 2016. Kettle's on.

04/30/2012 12:28 PM

Why can't the machines be fed with just sufficient oil, instead of an excess that needs to be reclaimed? Why the overflow?

United States - Member - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #21

04/30/2012 2:47 PM

Just guessing maybe they fill until it begins to overflow?

In reply to #21

04/30/2012 8:47 PM

These are commercial automatic bar tackers. They do not have a pressurized oil system and require 3 drops of oil in each of 8 spots every start up. overnight the oil runs off the bearings into a sump. Since I live in a small community the oil is not available except buying it over the internet. So, there is shipping involved. The cost is not a really important factor. I just want to recycle as much as I can. Plus, I have to take it to a hazardous waste disposal.

In reply to #23

05/01/2012 6:52 AM

Taking it to a hazardous waste disposal could cost more than the purchase price. This is a shame, especially as it has a calorific value....

Good Answers: 4

05/13/2012 3:54 AM

How about just getting yourself a 12 volt fuel pump, filter body, some hose & fittings? you could get most of it from the local auto wrecker to keep the cost down. Getting a new filter element would be advisable & at a galon every 3 months I dare say the filter won't block up in a hurry.

Power-User

In reply to #25

05/13/2012 8:56 PM

Great Idea.................I think that will work just fine. Thanks.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bob c (1); brettj1au (1); Byron Jay (4); durtieduck (1); guds777 (1); Holzfeller (1); kramarat (5); lyn (3); PWSlack (3); redfred (2); spaceracer (2); tcmtech (2)

Previous in Forum: What Is An Engineer?   Next in Forum: Does Anyone Know What This Is?

Advertisement