CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Is This Support Adequate?   Next in Forum: Qtel Specification for Manholes in Qatar
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Participant

Building from Ground Level Up?

02/26/2013 3:12 PM

I am an architecture student and for my proposal I am intending on building a tower block from ground level and 'jacking up' the building so that the first ground level to be built will end up being the tallest level, and the last level built will end up being the ground level. Does anyone have any advice on this or any examples of this having already been done? Many thanks

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: architecture building ground Tall
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1594

Re: Building from Ground Level Up?

02/26/2013 3:44 PM

Look at "jack-up" building techniques.

Contact civil engineering companies.

Case study of a synchronous hydraulic jack-up system for constructing

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Commentator

Good Answers: 4

02/26/2013 10:30 PM

Several companies build large storage tanks like this.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 11

02/26/2013 11:09 PM

Fyi, the standard technique was known as ''lift-slab'' construction.

Consider ''googling'' or ''binging'' that, as well.

Good Answers: 92

02/26/2013 11:12 PM

Advice is go on a building site and speak to some people that build towers. As in engineering as in Architecture it never hurts to speak to the people who eventually have to do it! You can put a lot on paper which you can not unfold in a real environment. Thats where practical experience (your or those of others) come in handy.

By the sound of what you are saying you just want to do it a different way. You did not ask if it is the better one!

Good luck with your project.

Good Answers: 5

02/27/2013 12:10 AM

In 1980 I have seen a high rise building being constructed by "moving-shuttering " method whereby each floor walls were concreted by moving(jackup) shuttering floor by floor.

02/27/2013 2:01 AM

If I re-call many years ago a building was constructed in New Delhi with the help of an Italian design team.. the process was referred to as "SLIP FORMING" as I understood it then.. The Top Floor was built on the ground and then Jacked Up.. I am sure this happened but not aware of how they did.. Just thought I'd share the information.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 602

02/27/2013 6:40 AM

From a layman's point of view (not my field) that sure seems like a hard way to do it.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 706

02/27/2013 8:18 AM

In order to get the ground floor built, all the weight of the upper floors would need to be sitting on the jacks. So the foundations for the jacks need to be as substantial as those for the finished building, and the jacks need to be synchronised during the lift to stop the building toppling.

Wow.

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #8

02/27/2013 10:54 AM

I have seen a water tower being built like it using 4 jacks. But 2 nos 120ft pre-stressed beams complete with purlins and roofing sheets when lifted by 4 jacks ,one jack collapsed and 2 men died. Instead lifting complete floor, it would be advisable to use "slip-form" or "lift-slab" or "moving shuttering" method where only shuttering moves instead of whole floor.

02/27/2013 9:10 AM

Thank you all very much for your quick and helpful responses! I know this seems like a strange and unnecessary way to build, but the building is a vertical cemetery and the concept is that over time different methods and technologies of building would develop, therefore acting as a time line for building and architecture, whilst also reflecting the years the people were buried...

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 7

02/27/2013 10:04 AM

You could study how the city of Chicago was raised one story to get it out of the mud.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_of_Chicago

There are still old houses where the ground around it is at the original level of the city. Most of the ones that were converted had their second floor turned into a first floor, and the first floor became a basement of sorts.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 181

02/27/2013 11:00 AM

This approach was already used over 35 years ago in Europe. The walls were made of concrete in a "sliding form" technology (I do not know how it is called in the USA). The windows and doors were already as forms (wood) introduced in the future wall. All structure was with steel aramture.

The floors were made at ground level and the lifted with same jacks as used for the sliding forms. When in place the steel bars were welded to the equivalent in the walls and the next floor was lifted. As a floor was in place the work at the level started -intallation of electrical, sanitary aso. This overlapping reduced in a very important way the delivery time for the whole building. The gaps were filled with concrete when floors in place.

It was forseen to introduce as well the tubings for water, electric cables aso but I do not know if it was done in buildings made after the ones I saw.

If I remeber corectly the sliding form technology was developed in Sweden for silos.

For the jacks steel bars about 1" diameter were used as guide and support. This limited via buckling risk the upgoing speed since the bar was in the concrete and the free length had to be short enough and the concrete hard enough to avoid "problems".

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 2

02/27/2013 3:20 PM

From memory this method was all the rage in the City of London in the late 1960s and early 70s. What looked like the central core of the building (the lift shafts etc.) were built and then the actual floors were built around the core and each one jacked up and another built underneath. It was said that this method provided easy access for people and materials with no crainage for materials and walk in walk out for the workers. A lot safer too I'd guess. Perhaps a search related to the C of L could produce something.

Good Answers: 15

03/03/2013 10:55 PM

This is the future!

I've built hi-rises with a turn around of 1 floor every nine days but these guys rocked the world with this one! Simply amazing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Hdpf-MQM9vY

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 14 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

129CBRider (1); Ashwani Nanda (1); davlamb (1); Envelope Guy (1); grumpygreybeard (1); IdeaSmith (1); lyn (1); Mhammond (1); MR. Guest (1); nick name (1); pnaban (2); PWSlack (1); Rixter (1)

Previous in Forum: Is This Support Adequate?   Next in Forum: Qtel Specification for Manholes in Qatar

Advertisement