Previous in Forum: Frustum, Step-Box and Chimney?   Next in Forum: Transistors and Lamps
Close
Close
Close
22 comments
Participant

RTD's

05/18/2015 9:43 AM

I need to know how to hook up a 3 wire rtd (100 ohm platinum). can it be connected to a dvm (agilent 3458a) to measure current, voltage or ohms? And how to correlate that reading to actual temperature. I have an rtd with a readout for my standard and a temperature bath.

Login to Reply
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 122

Re: R T D's

05/18/2015 10:00 AM

www.omega.com

Here is an excellent source that contains a wealth of information to answer your questions.

Power-User

Good Answers: 18

05/18/2015 2:28 PM

>can it be connected to a dvm (agilent 3458a) to measure current, voltage or ohms?

>current

No, an RTD needs a constant excitation current to provide a reading

>Voltage

No, that's what the meter/indicator reads internally when its excitation current passes through an RTD

>ohms

Yes, sort of, the meter measures resistance, whose measuring units is ohms.

>3 wire rtd

It is rare that I recommend a 4 wire RTD but when your intended use is "RTD with a readout for my standard", that's the case for a 4 wire RTD, along with a meter/indicator capable of true 4 wire RTD measurement.

One pays dearly for increased accuracy in the world of calibration. The relative prices of meter/indicators is one reflection of their ability to handle true 4 wire RTDs.

Another indication is 4 separate terminals, one for each RTD wire.

An RTD used as a 'standard' should be at least a class A RTD (if not AA). Many industrial RTDs are class B. The manufacturer part number decodes which is which, or the cal cert should say.

There are tables of resistance (in ohms) vs temperature for various RTDs, the most common of which is the Pt100 with a 0.00385 Alpha curve.

The DVM manual should have a spec page with its accuracy spec.

There are RTD indicators that read out directly in temperature that can be used for more or less permanent installations if the using the DVM proves awkward.

Login to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

05/18/2015 4:37 PM

It's a resistance device which is linear with the temperature change. So the temperature can be computed. Problem is it need to be calibrated first. Which you would have to know the resistance for three temperatures. Usually 0°C, 100°C and any other.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #3

05/19/2015 1:57 AM

If truly linear, only two calibration points are needed.

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #3

05/22/2015 3:41 PM

Some come with a calibrating resister and the proper procedure for calibration.

Login to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1668

Re: RTD's

05/18/2015 8:22 PM
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #4

05/19/2015 1:49 AM

That graph is wrong.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #4

05/19/2015 8:24 AM

Hardly "off topic". There is the answer to the OP. They are resistance devices with published resistance/temperature curves. What more do you need?

Good Answers: 1668
In reply to #4

05/20/2015 12:22 AM

That chart does seem to be in error....alternate site for info...

http://www.emory.edu/NMR/mysite06/My%20Stuff/My%20Notes/pt100_table.pdf

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #12

05/20/2015 10:01 AM

Note that the link shows it to be a Pt100 table, although the table itself is not well labeled, other than EU alpha, and a designator code.

Good Answers: 175

05/19/2015 8:58 AM

Solar Eagle's graph, from the Sarco site, is in error.

A Pt100 is 100 ohms at zero Deg C, not 0 ohms at zero Deg C, as the abbreviated table below shows.

Login to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #8

05/19/2015 9:36 AM

I wonder what goober working at Spirax-Sarco put up that chart. Obviously, that would make Pt, Cu, and Ni the cheapest high temperature superconductors in the world. 0 Ohms, really? A blind squirrel can find a nut, but this time the hog ran through the whole acorn patch without even stepping on one! Wow!

Solar Eagle - kudos for good intentions by showing the relative slopes of the resistivity (if that part of the chart is more or less correct.) Was the resistance axis supposed to have been labeled, "change in resistance", or R-R0 ?

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #9

05/19/2015 6:55 PM

Or maybe the temp scale is actually K

In reply to #10

05/19/2015 10:55 PM

But even then, the graph would still be wrong.

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #11

05/20/2015 5:05 PM

But of course

Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Who am I?

Good Answers: 49

05/20/2015 9:46 AM

If the distance is not too long (<10 ft), you can just use two wires (the test probes of the DVM). You measure the resistance is then use the RTD-Temperature conversion table (like what SolarEagle provided in #16) to obtain the temperature.

Note, however, that most transmitters apply only 1 mA of current to the RTD when measuring its resistance. Higher than that, you might get into a "heating effect" where the current heats up the RTD and give you an incorrect resistance (hence, wrong temperature) reading. I don't know how much current your DVM delivers when measuring resistance.

Why not just get a RTD temperature display that is designed to read and display RTD temperatures? The display's manual should have instructions on how to wire it.

regards,

Vulcan

Good Answers: 18

05/20/2015 9:17 PM

For any reasonable use of the words 'calibration' or 'standard', a 4 wire RTD is mandated by the Agilent's resistance measurement methods:

The Agilent 34461A offers two methods for measuring resistance: 2-wire and 4-wire ohms. For both methods, the test current flows from the input HI terminal and then through the resistor being measured. For 2-wire ohms, the voltage drop across the resistor being measured is sensed internal to the multimeter. Therefore, test lead resistance is also measured. For 4-wire ohms, separate "sense" connections are required. Since no current flows in the sense leads, the resistance in these leads does not give a measurement error.

page 2 http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5988-5512EN.pdf?id=1000002205:epsg:apn

A 2 wire connection has an inherent offset due to the very accurately measured resistance of the lead wire, which needs compensation for use as a cal standard.

Login to Reply
Participant

In reply to #16

06/03/2015 1:01 PM

then I can measure the resistance directly with my agilent with 2 wire? if so do I need to correct for the resistance in the leads?

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

06/03/2015 1:58 PM

You can do two wire, but as you asked, yes, you must correct for lead (and connection) resistance for highest accuracy. Really, in most instances a 4-wire set up is much preferred as compensation is done somewhat automatically in that case.

In reply to #19

06/03/2015 2:35 PM

I'm beginning to see a little more about rtd's than I did before. I was given a 3 wire to work with. the difference in ohm values at 0 deg. C from the chart (100.00) and my dvm (100.79) should be due to the resistance the leads and connections.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

06/04/2015 4:06 PM

That sounds about right. Now you just need to remember that offset, or figure a way to compensate it out. I think that takes an active summing junction that injects just enough current to compensate, but I am just a lumberjack.

In reply to #21

06/05/2015 9:08 AM

thanks for the help. I was missing the total resistance. I had the resistance of my leads compensated for but not the resistance of the wires on the element its self. again thanks for the help, I needed it.

Login to Reply
Login to Reply 22 comments
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Bud (2); calbtech (3); Iris (1); James Stewart (4); Mikerho (2); Munster (1); ozzb (1); Phys (1); SHOCKHISCAN (1); SolarEagle (2); Tornado (3); Vulcan (1)

Previous in Forum: Frustum, Step-Box and Chimney?   Next in Forum: Transistors and Lamps

Advertisement