Previous in Forum: Large Slotted Barrel Nut   Next in Forum: Back to 9 Planets?
Close
Close
Close
69 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 144

To Iodize Salt or Not? That is the Question.

12/11/2015 8:21 AM

What's in you shaker?

Iodized or not? Do you have or would you like to formulate an opinion on either one?

Much like laundry softener, global climate change and, Trump. opinions vary

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 92

Re: To iodized salt or not? That is the question

12/11/2015 8:48 AM

Unlike Trump, there's a reason for iodized salt.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #1

12/15/2015 9:11 AM

There you go, playing the Trump card. What a trumpeter you are!

Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63

12/11/2015 8:54 AM

Opinions vary - really? Only time I recall someone asking for non-iodized salt is when it is for a chemical use, not consumption of same. Although, I do recall seeing Kosher on the non-iodized bag, so perhaps there is a religion based objection to iodine. (???)

Guru

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 122

12/11/2015 9:06 AM

Iodized definitely! According to an earlier post I am receiving significant doses of radiation from sleeping next to my "hot" wife so I need all the iodine I can get to avoid radiation poisoning.

CR4 Admins - CR4 Admin - CR4 Admin Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 9

Re: To Iodize Salt or Not? That is the Question.

12/11/2015 9:21 AM

Countries that don't widely use iodized salt see negative health effects, including thyroid issues and lowered IQ.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jan/15/iodised-salt-pakistan-health-crisis

http://www.businessinsider.com/iodization-effect-on-iq-2013-7

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

12/11/2015 9:41 AM

There is a region in the US that is far from the ocean (so the people don't eat much seafood) and that doesn't get a lot of sunshine in the winter due to the cloud cover from the Great Lakes. It's referred to as the 'goiter belt'. It affects women more than men. The condition is an enlarged thyroid gland. Untreated, the enlarged thyroid can grow enough to block the windpipe.

By adding a trace amount of iodine to salt (where the odd taste of the iodine is masked by the taste of the salt), the enlargement of the thyroid is prevented.

Good Answers: 128
In reply to #5

12/11/2015 11:17 AM

Interesting. Salt in UK isn't normally iodised but you can get it. I use it because I have a theoretical thyroid problem, discovered years ago from a routine blood test. TSH and TSA (I think they're the TLAs) are well out, but I don't have any symptoms. An auto-immune thing according to the doc. So I use iodised in case it does any good. I assume it would only help if my diet is low in iodine, it could be though I eat pretty healthily, but nothing to lose AFAIK.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #6

12/11/2015 2:24 PM

Ohhhh - here we go again. Is it iodized or iodised? Bet your spell checker underlines in red when it is spelled with a "z", doesn't it?

Now is that "zeeee" or "zed"?

Isn't English fun, when the colonies mess it up?

In reply to #11

12/11/2015 2:51 PM

Just tried on Word and it didn't comment on either spelling. Now on iPad and it's OK with iodized but changed iodised to iodine deficiency or iodide do! Definitely zeeee, and it's double-ewe, not dubya!

I find the iPad a pain as if you don't notice its "corrections" you can get odd results. It just tried to alter its in the previous sentence to it's!!

In reply to #12

12/12/2015 4:38 AM

Correction, I should have said it's zed over here.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #5

12/14/2015 3:05 PM

They do not actually add iodine (elemental iodine), they add sodium iodide, a very similar compound to sodium chloride, table salt. I was not aware of a Kosher restriction on iodized salt, but what do I know - I am a protestant.

I think that iodide in the diet is an important regulatory micronutrient, and should be included intentionally. There is not enough iodide in the salt to matter as to radiation protection (generally as protection from alpha and beta emitters that have been ingested somehow).

I am not thinking there is even enough to materially affect most science experiments done with the salt, except perhaps ion chromatography.

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 119
In reply to #44

12/14/2015 3:33 PM

There is not enough iodide in the salt to matter as to radiation protection (generally as protection from alpha and beta emitters that have been ingested somehow).GMT

No, the reason that potassium iodide pills are included in nuclear fallout planning kits is due to the radioactive iodine created by the blast as daughter particles, which are a well spread gaseous material that the human body will scavenge and concentrate in the pituitary =irradiating the pituitary, leading to possible cancer.With an abundance of iodine from the pills, the body will scavenge a far smaller proportion of the radioactive iodine, thus allowing it and most of the potassium iodide eaten to be excreted

In reply to #45

12/15/2015 8:35 AM

You are 100% correct, and I was wrong, wrong, wrong. I am standing on my corrected soap box now.

Good Answers: 33

12/11/2015 12:36 PM

In order to prevent hypothiroidism (Goiter (US) Goitre (UK) and more severe forms like Cretinism and deafness and / or other neurologic impairments, since 1967 salt for human consume must be Iodized in Argentina (by law)

Good Answers: 1662

12/11/2015 1:14 PM

Iodized

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1727

12/11/2015 1:31 PM

Better to have than to not have...

"Iodized salt is so commonplace in the U.S. today that you may never have given the additive a second thought. But new research finds that humble iodine has played a substantial role in cognitive improvements seen across the American population in the 20th century.

Iodine is a critical micronutrient in the human diet-that is, something our bodies can't synthesize that we have to rely on food to obtain-and it's been added to salt (in the form of potassium iodide) since 1924. Originally, iodization was adopted to reduce the incidence of goiter, an enlargement of the thyroid gland. But research since then has found that iodine also plays a crucial role in brain development, especially during gestation.

Iodine deficiency today is the leading cause of preventable mental retardation in the world. It's estimated that nearly one-third of the world's population has a diet with too little iodine in it, and the problem isn't limited to developing countries-perhaps one-fifth of those cases are in Europe (pdf), where iodized salt is still not the norm."

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2013/07/23/how-adding-iodine-to-salt-boosted-americans-iq/#.VmsV-PkrKUk

Good Answers: 125

12/11/2015 1:42 PM

Iodized only for me.

Good Answers: 40

12/11/2015 4:32 PM

I, for one, am glad to see this question (/issue) raised here.

Awhile back I received one of those "healthy living" emails with a link to a long-winded, prattling "conspiracy unraveling" in which the (self-proclaimed) "doctor" stated:

"Unless you are eating lots of seafood, kelp, dulse, etcetera, you are NOT getting enough iodine in your diet!" ...and, he went on to delineate all of the "necessities" of iodine in these complicated thermodynamic systems that are our bodies.

Heavy emphasis was placed on the FACT (acknowledged elsewhere) that some decades ago, some evil entity convinced bakers/bakeries to CEASE using iodine as a dough conditioning agent and replace it with bromine.

I'm no chemistry professor or microbiologist, but, his explanation as to how the bromine "takes the place" that iodine SHOULD be taking (in certain critical chemical reactions in our bodies), rendering certain subsequent functions incapable of taking place, made pretty clear sense.

His argument went on to further state that the iodine in iodized salt is only *partly* capable of being utilized by our bodies, and thus, incapable of providing all that we ("really") need.

[Since listening to that entire diatribe, I have attempted to add a bit to the diet here, both with a sprig or so of dulse added to my soups, and a dropper of liquid kelp to my V8 juice.]

Has anybody else heard that presentation...? Looking forward to somebody jumping in who truly has some worthwhile input, here.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

12/15/2015 8:45 AM

Many years ago, back in my life as a forensic chemist, a case was presented where a lady was experiencing severe gastric symptoms, and arsenic was at least initially suspected. What we did find was the so-called "normal" ingredient of sodium bromate in her package of English muffins. No arsenic was present, thank God.

The real problem was there was a huge amount of sodium bromate, far in excess of "normal" addition as a preservative. In other words, there was sodium bromate sprinkled all over every muffin, as well as about a teaspoon left settling to the bottom of the bag.

There was more than enough there to make her ill, but not enough to cause any noticeable last effect once she got off it. This was obviously a case of manufacturing malfunction (not saying how).

I agree that some people have a vested interest in "messing" with our food, and these people are nothing more than salespersons, and know nothing at all of biochemistry, toxicology, or human metabolism.

Good Answers: 50

12/11/2015 4:34 PM

The reason Iodine was added to salt (at least here in the USA), was because of the open air nuclear bomb tests.

I've pasted a map I found in a wiki article showing the number of rads exposure from the fallout.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapons_testing

Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 119
In reply to #14

12/11/2015 7:43 PM

NO NO NO.Iodized Sodium Chloride is for goitre, and iodine deficiency disease.
Potassium Iodide is an emergency additive in case of nuclear war where radioactive iodine is in the air. Normally iodine is scavenged by the body, since it is a scarce element.In case of excess from potassium iodide being eaten, the radioactive iodine is excreted by the body as the body does not scavenge when excess occurs

In reply to #14

12/11/2015 8:04 PM

From SE's post #9 "it's been added to salt (in the form of potassium iodide) since 1924."

#14 "The reason Iodine was added to salt (at least here in the USA), was because of the open air nuclear bomb tests".

From your Wiki article: "The first nuclear weapon was detonated as a test by the United States at the Trinity site on July 16, 1945".

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104
In reply to #14

12/11/2015 10:56 PM

Your map makes no sense. The bombs were set off in Nevada:

In reply to #14

12/15/2015 8:39 AM

I see the county in Texas (near the New Mexico state line) where I was born and raised shows up in white. No wonder my legs only reach the ground but my pecker goes on and on. My sisters used to rail on me about don't eat that snow, there is no more making snow ice cream. Guess I should have listened.

In reply to #48

12/15/2015 9:02 AM

Your punishment is to drink untreated west Texas groundwater which contains "Fluoride which is over the maximum contaminant level (MCL) for drinking water. Additionally, 4% of selenium observations exceeded the MCL for drinking water, and 19% exceeded the recommended limit for irrigation water" as stated in:

Elevated fluoride and selenium in west Texas groundwater.

This report concentrates on Fluoride: The findings

Now I'm beginning to understand why all you Texans think the way you do. You've been drinking poisoned water all your lives.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #51

12/15/2015 9:10 AM

Selenium also causes horrible halitosis. Is that why not of the girls in high school dated any of us local guys? Never mind the third eye on a swivel we all had.

In reply to #53

12/15/2015 9:23 AM

You'd think the attributes of your third leg would have made up for that third eye.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #48

12/15/2015 10:30 AM

I thought "snow" had to be "snorted" to be good!!

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 122
In reply to #48

12/17/2015 9:31 AM

Your disclaimer statement caused me to remember a question from the distant past:

Q: Do you know why roosters are always so angry and ready to fight?

A: You would be angry too if your pecker was in the middle of your face and you had to use it to eat your food off the ground.

Until now I had no idea this abnormal behavior was directly related to nuclear testing.

Good Answers: 206

12/11/2015 4:40 PM

smart people like a few trace elements here and there

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

12/15/2015 8:47 AM

like or lack? Hmmm.....

Anonymous Poster #1

12/11/2015 6:49 PM

I respect salt but do not idolize it.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

12/15/2015 9:08 AM

I understand there have been wars and treaties over salt. SALT treaty for example (this is a pun son).

There were the salt wars east of El Paso, near Guadalupe Peak (the highest point in Texas), where serious gun skirmishes broke out between various salt miners in the salt flats there. I have forgotten the full story behind this, so here are two links to it:

http://www.blackpast.org/aaw/el-paso-salt-war-1877

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Elizario_Salt_War

Sadly, this war marked the only time a company of Texas Rangers surrendered in armed conflict. Hence, the Texas Ranger saying, "Never surrender". This idea spread throughout Texas culture, and even when I was in school, if someone left the football team for any reason other than injury, he was labelled "a quitter". The outcome of the salt war was (1)privatization of the salt mines, (2) change of county seat of El Paso county from San Elizario to El Paso (formerly Franklin?), and the rise of Fort Bliss as an important U.S. Army post.

I have never really studied the geochemistry of salt production enough to learn if various deposits of sodium chloride salt have more or less natural iodide content. I am virtually certain this must be the case, although sea salt is naturally in balance with the earth's typical abundance of the important soluble halides, sic, chloride, bromide, and iodide. There is more bromide in sea water than iodide.

Good Answers: 225

12/11/2015 8:42 PM

In Australia, changing sanitation practices - in the dairy industry in particular - have resulted in lower intakes of potassium iodide and subsequent increases in reported cases of iodine deficiencies. To help address this problem, Bakers are now required by law to use only iodised salt in their non organic products and all infant formulas must contain iodine.

Lack of Iodine in Aussie kids' diets as compared to those of Asian nations - that consume larger amounts of iodine in their salt, seafood, seaweed products etc - has been cited as a major reason that our kids are falling behind Asian kids in the smartness stakes.

Both iodised and non-iodised salts are readily available on supermarket shelves, and interestingly there is a label on the pool salt that I use in my pool that warns that "due to this salt being non-iodised, it should not be used as a substitute for iodised table salt".

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 89

12/12/2015 3:56 AM

In the UK 'trumping' is the act of expelling noxious gasses from ones arse.

In reply to #21

12/15/2015 9:50 AM

I really, really did not need to know this, but gee thanks for the explanation of Brit bluster.

In reply to #56

12/15/2015 11:15 AM

That's totally appropriate for our current candidate.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #2

12/12/2015 4:02 AM

Full backing to Trump, totally agree with him. Global warming: not totally the fault of humans, as it has been made out to be.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 3)
Power-User
Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 22

12/12/2015 7:56 AM

An interesting biology § science lesson... Well, as stated iodine is essential for healthy thyroid function. My wife has metastatic thyroid cancer (it's in her bones - spread from the thyroid). Her thyroid was removed, along with repairs to the spine (vertebra disintegrated due to the cancer). She undergoes an annual treatment of radioactive iodine. Because she no longer has a thyroid, the only cells in her body that absorb iodine are now the cancer cells. Thyroid cells have a sodium iodide receptor. So the cancer cells absorb the radioactive iodine which concentrated the radioactivity & kills the cancer cells! Very clever. In preparation for her treatment each year, she has to have NO iodine in her diet. So we use non-iodised salt for that period and normal iodised salt the rest of the year. Isn't science & medicine clever? :)

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #24

12/12/2015 8:18 AM

It is wonderful, but I think I speak for everybody on CR4 in sympathising with you and specially your wife.

In reply to #25

12/13/2015 12:44 AM

Thanks. I didn't post it for sympathy, just an interesting way of targetted treatment. We are going OK with it. :)

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #33

12/13/2015 4:28 AM

I know you didn't mention it for sympathy, just wanted say you and your wife are not alone on that journey. It's one of the better uses of nuclear by-products.

In reply to #38

12/13/2015 5:20 PM

Yes it is!... & thanks :)

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

In reply to #24

12/12/2015 8:20 PM

I too sympathize with you, my mother has had thyroid cancer since '98 and has been through the same treatments. My family pretty much grew up in and around Denver Colorado, (downwind from the Nevada test sites). She just recently lost a close childhood friend from thyroid cancer, who also grew up around the Denver area. (It does make one wonder?) I hope and pray they can keep your wife's cancer in check.

Back on topic, we always had salt lick blocks fortified with iodine for our livestock on the farm, also as a side bennie, it helped keep the wooden fence rails intact! Yeah, livestock needs it to

In reply to #30

12/13/2015 12:46 AM

Yes! My dad was a cattleman & he used to put out those iodised salt licks for the cattle.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

12/12/2015 12:53 PM

I looked around on the web and found the following at this website:-

http://www.saltinstitute.org/news-articles/iodized-salt/

In the U.S., iodine is added as potassium iodide in table salt at slightly higher levels (0.006% to 0.01% potassium iodide, equivalent to 0.0046% to 0.0077% iodine.

You will need to eat a lot of salt, before you have enough Iodine per day. The recommended daily intake of iodine is around 150mcg for an adult, in total.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iodine-Consumer/

Eating plenty of most salt water fish types can dramatically reduce this requirement as with some dairy products and vegetables PROVIDED WHERE THEY WERE GROWN HAS ENOUGH NATURAL IODINE!!

To be really safe, everyone should eat a small supplement, especially if salt water fish does not get eaten often....In the USA and the UK, the disease is seldom seen, because diets are often reasonably well planed and fish and vegetable eaten often....

I take 200 mcg a day. I have since I moved to Germany where (excepting the far north) the fish is basically appalling!!

If I eat too much iodine, my body throws the rest away.....so I am not poisoned, nor do I get high blood pressure, which is possible with too much salt!!

My wife refused to believe the needs for Iodine, when I told her years ago and has since been operated on (reducing thyroid size) and takes daily tablets to keep her thyroid in some sort of order....but it is totally unnecessary if you take the tablets up front....

No matter what the W.H.O. says, why should I take salt, of which many take far too much on a daily basis nyway, just to get my much needed iodine???

I did work it out once just how much salt I needed to eat to get my iodine that way, it was far too much for my liking!!

I buy salt with Follic acid in it, another important food supplement that many are not getting enough of!! Though I do like my green vegetables as well!!

From middle Germany southwards, most of the population seem to "expect" to get Goitre when over 60, but few wonder why!!

Obviously iodine with salt is better than no iodine, but I do find it a strange way to supply it to the masses. If its the only way, why do they not up the amount of iodine to be nearer a proper recommended daily dose with normal average salt usage?

But even then, someone who avoids salt, may also avoid iodine too.....

In reply to #26

12/12/2015 5:30 PM

Interesting, I'll consider taking an iodine supplement myself.

In reply to #28

12/13/2015 3:25 AM

Good for you.

I can only say, with the experiences of my wife who refused over 30 years ago to consider taking Iodine, that you REALLY don't want to go there.

Once you have the problems, you cannot "repair" them anymore by taking Iodine. My wife, because even after it was discovered, she cannot take the tablets anymore as her body goes "crazy!"

It could explain why she is over the last 20 years or so "intellectually challenged" in some simple things nowadays, When she was younger, she was a computer room manager for a fishing tackle company here in Germany (that went bust when she left!!)

I buy Iodine tablets from the chemist, they are really cheap....100 (days) tablets cost less than US$2.

My wife's health has really suffered, some of it directly related to not enough iodine in her diet, some possibly, especially when you understand just how much the Thyroid gland does in the human body!! Anything can happen......

As far as I am aware, you cannot take too much (within reason I would guess), the body throws away the excess without you even knowing about it, which is why its needed daily.

Reading here:-

Iodine

Iodine deficiency affects about two billion people and is the leading preventable cause of intellectual disabilities.

I wish everyone here good "intellectual" health and a very happy Christmas....

In reply to #36

12/15/2015 9:58 AM

My wife also has thyroid issues, I wonder if just a little more iodide could help her, although she already dowses her food with salt, she has another health problem (gluten allergy), that has resulted in a general lowering of her absorption of nutrients. She also eats plenty of salty snacks such as nuts, popcorn, and corn chips.

She takes a thyroid supplement she obtains from an online health food seller. Could it help to add just a bit more iodide when she takes the bovine thyroid extract? Hmm...

Her mind is pretty clear for an older bird. She has been seemingly a bit forgetful of late, though, and I am more concerned about her than usual.

In reply to #57

12/15/2015 10:44 AM

Speaking from my wife's experiences in NOT taking the pills (Iodine) as I recommended 30 odd years ago, it simply depends on how far "gone" she is, as she cannot take the pills anymore....

Nowadays, after her operation, it appears that such tablets work like a turbo charger on an intrinsically weakly made engine.....very uncomfortable....but not dangerous.

The trick is I feel, to start giving your wife (and yourself!) 200 mcg of Iodine tablets, here its a single tablet, or better said, it can be, and see how she gets on with that.

If nothing untoward happens, keep them up for the rest of your lives.

It appears that women are more likely generally to get a goitre, but there are plenty of men here who get it too.....the diet here lacks iodine usually.

It was explained to me by a Doctor many years ago that the thyroid sort of goes "fishing" for iodine, if it does not find any, or not enough, it increases the size of the "net" to hopefully have a better chance of a catch!! In my wife's case, it was well into the top of her rib cage.....but for many, it tries to go sideways out of the neck.....looks dreadful....

Best wishes.

In reply to #59

01/02/2016 5:39 AM

Where do you get your 200mcg tablets? I tried a couple of supermarkes (in UK) but no joy. There were multivitamin-type things with 100mcg along with a load of other ingredients but I'm not about to start on them. I'll try pharmacists when they re-open.

In reply to #64

01/02/2016 8:21 AM

I buy them from German online Chemists, proper chemists, not outside of Germany.

I look for a good manufacturer and a good offer.....Jod is German for Iodine by the way.

100 quality tablets will cost around 3 UK Pounds. One a day is enough, if you eat seafood regularly, you could probably take one broken in two, over two days, so a box would cover you for 200 days, instead of 100.....

Most seafood "eaters" hardly need them.....but being a Brit and knowing good seafood, I cannot eat much of the stuff here, its awful!!

(As are German Potatoes, but that is nothing to do with Iodine!!)

This is one of the Chemists I use, the link is to Jod tablets:-

Juvalis Apotheke, Germany

If you have any questions, just ask.

In reply to #65

01/02/2016 8:35 AM

OK, thanks for that, and have a good New Year!

Good Answers: 29
In reply to #66

01/02/2016 8:47 AM

Just go to any Holland & Barret shop.

8 Upper Market Square, Stoke on trent, ST1 1NS 01782 266126

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #67

01/02/2016 9:32 AM

OK thanks. Not far away!

In reply to #66

01/02/2016 11:51 AM

You too.

Good Answers: 144

12/12/2015 5:13 PM

Thanks for all of the wonderful information. I'm only asking because a year or so back me mum was visiting and she saw a box of not iodized salt in the cupboard. Well let's just say she nearly passed out in disbelief. I usually buy one or the other without much consideration. I promised myself to do a little research on the subject.

I don't salt anything heavily, but I like to cook and many recipes specify kosher salt. I've since read that chefs like to use the kosher/sea salt simply because they can pinch up a dash here and there better than fine salt. So it's more of a control issue than a flavor thing.

I'll stick to the iodized table salt for most cooking, and save the sea salt for the rare occasions that I want to use smoked or black salts etc. for the flavor.

I've also read that there are many salts with natural traces of iodine, but I'm unsure of the amount. I too wander about using sodium as the delivery mechanism of another vital nutrient.

It reminds me of they way white flour and white rice is commonly enriched to replace nutrients stripped off. ..but what about the fiber lost?

Eat your greens, cereal grains, salt water fish, and consider a nutritional supplement. end of story.

12/12/2015 5:51 PM

My wife uses sea salt. Many people these days use sea salt instead of mined salt.

Sea salt DOES NOT contain as much iodine as iodized salt.

I'm told that iodized versions of sea salt are available.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #29

12/13/2015 12:52 AM

Yes sea salt has less iodine, but does still have small amounts. Himalayan Salt (the pink stuff) has no iodine apparently, as that what my wife uses when she has to go on the Zero Iodine diet.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 125
In reply to #35

12/14/2015 12:21 PM

You do know that it is rust (iron oxide) that imparts the pink color.

In reply to #29

12/13/2015 3:36 AM

Again, do remember that if you are getting enough iodine from any salt, you are probably excessing on salt (assuming no other sources of iodine!).

As its VERY difficult to "KNOW" how much Iodine you are getting each day from your diet, its actually easier to take a single tablet and then you can eat anything you want without having to worry about the very grave and sadly permanent health effects of too little Iodine in your food and drink.

Lack of iodine is a disease that creeps up on you with very slow effects, my wife's thyroid increased in size until it spread down into her rib cage and had to be removed with an operation....UGLY, UGLY, UGLY! The scar is not good either.....all her own fault!!! I warned her!!

I personally feel that they should add Iodine to beer and wine......we would then be happy and free of all thyroid problems, except for the non drinkers of course!! Their problem!!

Good Answers: 92

12/12/2015 9:16 PM

Yellow prussiate of soda added to mine please, to prevent caking.

(Used to buy literally tons of the stuff that way, but not for food use!)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #31

12/12/2015 9:36 PM

Is that the secret recipe to keep cow pies from sticking!

Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 20

12/14/2015 8:21 AM

I cannot recall ever having seen any negative effects from iodized salt but there are positive ones as has been pointed out in many replies. Iodized for me.

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 89

12/14/2015 12:56 PM

Iodised salt is not common in the UK, it is available but is considerably more expensive. The 350g sea salt I usually buy is about £0.80 & comparable packs of iodised salt are about £5.00.

In reply to #42

12/14/2015 2:45 PM

The disease is very seldom seen in the UK in my limited experience, I actually only remember seeing someone with it once....and that was about 50 years ago....

Fish and chips being at least part of the reason why I would guess....and good seafood generally...

I have never seen anyone in the US with it....

Here you can hardly walk 10 meters without seeing someone so afflicted....awful!!

Maybe thats why Germany lost WW2!!

I just finished reading R.V.Jones Book, a most Secret War, for the 2nd time in 40 odd years, totally brilliant!! But he never mentioned that a lack of Iodine causes lower intellect!!!

In reply to #43

12/14/2015 4:05 PM

I think I recall seeing a documentary about making iodine (& maybe other inexpensive trace elements) available to women & children in Mongolia or Nthn China some time back. I have a strong feeling that it was referring to issues with brain development without the iodine. Im not positive but that's my vague memory of it...

Register to Reply
Guru

12/15/2015 2:13 PM

As if all the rest of this thread wasn't enough to be confusing, let me add some more fuel to the fires:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151124081923.htm

This discusses the danger of producing toxic organic compounds (halogenated organics) by adding iodized table salt to chlorinated or chloraminated water. My take on the whole thing is this: Why add table salt to water that you are not cooking with -just don't do that. If cooking with this water, boil it first to remove the chlorine compounds, or add a bit of Vitamin C from lemon juice. Then add the table salt as needed for whatever you are cooking. If making pasta, just boil the water then add the salt, this is not rocket science here.

In reply to #61

12/15/2015 3:30 PM

I know that chlorine is used to make water potable.

Now if you got that water from the tap (depending where I am in the world I have smelt chlorine many time!), there could be a slight danger if using it immediately and adding salt.

But I have to admit that I have never thought about this.

I assume that boiling would drive most gases off anyway, so adding the salt after boiling has been reached, should fix the problems I feel.....

Interesting link, thanks.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (9); Anonymous Poster (2); aurizon (2); Codemaster (8); dj95401 (3); Fredski (1); HUSH (1); ignator (1); IQ (1); James Stewart (11); JE in Chicago (1); JNB (2); Kevin LaPaire (1); lyn (6); ndt-tom (1); Nigh (2); OldTechNewToys (6); Phys (2); r&ddoc (1); SHOCKHISCAN (2); SolarEagle (1); spades (1); StandardsGuy (1); Usbport (1); WJMFIRE (2)

Previous in Forum: Large Slotted Barrel Nut   Next in Forum: Back to 9 Planets?

Advertisement