Previous in Forum: Do any Non-Lethal Weapons Exist that would be a Good Alternative to a Gun?   Next in Forum: Capping a Vent Pipe
Close
Close
Close
31 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

Intermittent Wipers

01/12/2016 1:04 PM

HAVE A 2001 CHEVY SILVERADO 1/2 TON PICKUP. A FEW DAYS AGO IT WAS RAINING AND I HAD MY WIPERS ON WHEN I SHUT THE ENGINE OFF I DID NOT SHUT THE WIPERS OFF. THAT NIGHT WE HAD A FREEZE AND WHEN I WENT TO START THE TRUCK THE NEXT DAY I HEARD A FEW CLICKS BUT THE WIPERS WERE FROZE TO THE WINDSHIELD IN THE DOWN POSITION. AFTER THAWING THE WIPERS ONLY WORK IN FAST SPEED. BEFORE I TAKE APART THE MUTIFUNCTION SWITCH IS THERE OTHER POSSIBLE PROBLEMS THAT COULD CAUSE THE INTERMITTENT FUNCTION TO NOT WORK?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1744

Re: INTERMITTENT WIPERS

01/12/2016 1:44 PM

In reply to #1

01/12/2016 2:31 PM

Thanks solar eagle , as soon as it warms up here I'll give it a try.Right now its 13 degrees and windy.

oilcan13

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819
In reply to #2

01/12/2016 7:11 PM

<...13 degrees...> Oh, Fahrenheit. OK. 13 degrees Celsius is not a freezing temperature on this planet.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #5

01/13/2016 2:57 AM

LOL!!

How true!!

When I came back to the UK in April 1966 after almost 2 years in Singapore, 13°C was considered by me to be freezing!!! In fact ANY temperature below 35°C needed warm clothing!! It took 2 winters to get me back to handling such "low"temperatures, then I was back in the F.E. again!!!

So it can depend upon circumstances and point of view.......

This illustrates clearly how few people here take any regard to properly declare their "units", they leave us to guess.......here it was a bit easier as it was talking about freezing.

In Germany, we put thermal "sheets" across the windscreen at night, held by closing the front doors on each end and the wipers, stopped in a middle position, (not parked), to hold the middle of the sheet down.

I have even cut the sides of a plastic shopping bag, so that only the base is still connected, for the same job. Leaving the handles on for the two front car doors.....

At a minimum, all (rear one too!!) wipers should be "lifted" in freezing conditions....also, I change to silicone blades in winter, a lot louder, but do not freeze onto the screen so hard. in my opinion!

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 93
In reply to #11

01/13/2016 4:11 AM

I used to use a plastic car cover which keeps all the glass clear of ice but leaves you with the problem of what to do with 20 feet of wet plastic when you take it off (no garage). My current car has screen heaters built in at the spots where the blades park.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #11

01/13/2016 8:55 AM

Thermal sheets won't help this.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #14

01/13/2016 10:37 AM

I have two comments:

1) One of those "I baby my car" vehicle covers might have helped, as the ice would have formed on that, and the door locks, seams and hinges would not have been frozen shut.

2) This is a good example of why you shouldn't park downwind of the lake in winter.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #11

01/13/2016 9:18 AM

Sorry I forgot You "People across the pond " use metrics. I assumed (ass out of u and Me) since a chevy is an American truck I would get advice from Americans, not realizing these trucks are all over the world. I've had this vehicle for 15 years and have gone thru some very rough winters never had this problem before. I hope this explanation is "proper" with You.

oilcan13

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
In reply to #16

01/18/2016 5:36 AM

Who was it that said that war was a way of teaching Americans Geography? Memory fades a little with age.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #29

01/18/2016 6:25 AM

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.

Ambrose Bierce

Ambrose Bierce Wiki

Location: Center of the Known Industrial Universe - TUGGERAH 2259 - Australia
Good Answers: 52
In reply to #1

01/13/2016 12:32 AM

That wiper board makes a fortune for the Chevy dealers. There are plenty at better pricing on Ebay. Do a quick search within Ebay using "silverado wiper board" and you will get a page of 'em.

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76

Re: Intermittent Wipers

01/12/2016 5:32 PM

I would put an oilcan on your caps lock key if I were you, Mildred. You'll only wake people up with your noise.

In reply to #3

01/13/2016 2:58 AM

LOL!!

He was a bit LOUD!!

In reply to #3

01/13/2016 1:34 PM

I wanted to make sure someone heard Me.

Register to Reply
Guru

01/12/2016 6:52 PM
  • One of the possibilities is the slow-speed windings in the motor are kaput.
  • Another is that a wire has fallen off.
  • Another is that a fuse has opened, due to a circuit fault.
  • Another is that the timing circuit that provides the intermittency is kaput.

If one is not to hand, borrow a copy of the Haynes Manual for the vehicle from the local Public Library. A photocopy of the wiring diagram would be a good thing to keep with the vehicle registration documents.

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #4

01/13/2016 1:43 AM

I'd check out

• a fuse has opened, due to a circuit fault.
  • the timing circuit that provides the intermittency is kaput.

before the others, the the disconnected wire, and then the motor windings.

I like to do the easy and cheap stuff first.

Good Answers: 31

01/12/2016 10:40 PM

PW Slack has the idea. Round up the usual suspects!

Good Answers: 225

01/12/2016 10:43 PM

Most likely the pulse board in the wiper motor needs replacing as it has been cooked.

A lower rated fuse or circuit breaker may help next time.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194

01/13/2016 12:57 AM

HAVE A 2001 CHEVY SILVERADO 1/2 TON PICKUP.

A FEW DAYS AGO IT WAS RAINING AND I HAD MY WIPERS ON.

WHEN I SHUT THE ENGINE OFF, I DID NOT SHUT THE WIPERS OFF.

THAT NIGHT WE HAD A FREEZE AND WHEN I WENT TO START THE TRUCK THE NEXT DAY I HEARD A FEW CLICKS BUT THE WIPERS WERE FROZE TO THE WINDSHIELD IN THE DOWN POSITION.

AFTER THAWING, THE WIPERS ONLY WORK IN FAST SPEED.

BEFORE I TAKE APART THE MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH, IS are THERE OTHER POSSIBLE PROBLEMS THAT COULD CAUSE THE INTERMITTENT FUNCTION TO NOT WORK?

Yes

In the future, please do not use all caps.

It may be easier for you to type, but it is harder to read.

Also, you need to break your post up into more paragraphs, like I did above.

If you want answers to your post, doesn't it make sense to make them as legible and understandable as possible?

May be a shorted motor winding.

Purchase a new wiper motor.

In reply to #9

01/13/2016 9:23 AM

Sorry I am not an English major. Is that more to your liking?

oilcan13

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #9

01/13/2016 5:50 PM

Almost certainly not a short. JHF

Good Answers: 1

01/13/2016 9:04 AM

I own a 1/2 ton Silverado and had the same issue with the wipers. I removed the circuit from the motor housing and re-soldered all the solder points on said board. Upon reinstalling it I have had no more problems. It had reached the point where I had to stop the truck in the pouring rain, pop the hood and rap on the wiper motor assembly to get them going again. On the few occasions that my wife or kids used the truck I received much verbal abuse regarding my "intermittent" wipers. And I only removed the board for inspection after I found out what the Chevy dealer wanted for a new one. Hope this helps.

In reply to #15

01/13/2016 9:25 AM

Yes Thanks

Oilcan13

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #18

01/14/2016 6:00 AM

You would be better off to replace the whole wiper unit with one from a Cavalier. I have heard they are trouble free!

In reply to #26

01/14/2016 6:45 AM

Evil comment.

In reply to #26

01/14/2016 7:33 AM

Is that the ONLY part of a Cavalier that is trouble free?

In reply to #28

01/18/2016 9:01 PM

Trouble free because he sold the car the day after he replaced the board!

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 10

01/13/2016 11:40 AM

The problem's root cause is design and materials.

The control wiper board is populated with mechanical relays that are soldered in using lead free solder. The lead free solder is brittle and fractures after a few thousand cycles due to vibration induced by the relays themselves.

This problem is not particular to Chevrolet. I had the same issue on a Ford

Pull the relay board and resolder all connections with leaded solder and you will be back in business for another 20+ years

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #20

01/13/2016 12:35 PM

"The control wiper board is populated with mechanical relays that are soldered in using lead free solder. The lead free solder is brittle and fractures after a few thousand cycles due to vibration induced by the relays themselves."

So much for the benefits of RoHS(1) compliance.

Notes:

1. Reduction of Hazardous Substances Directive. For the most part it's just made for a lot of headaches, particularly with lead-free solder, seems like we weren't dealing with 'tin whiskers' back in the days of lead-tin solders, but once the RoHS came about, we started seeing tin whiskers in all sorts of electronics, even ones intended for long service life (spacecraft) or safety-critical applications (accelerator controls on Toyota Camrys).
( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #21

01/13/2016 8:21 PM

Lead-free solder is not the only material affected by Reduction of Hazardous Substances.

Somehow many of us survived the "hazards" of childhood, and many products were rendered unsatisfactory or even useless!

In reply to #24

01/14/2016 3:58 AM

I had this conversation with a colleague yesterday, reminiscing how at school we were shown how phosphorus & lithium reacted with water & handling dishes of mercury.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (2); Andy Germany (4); Casper71 (2); Circuit Breaker (1); Crabtree (1); JIMRAT (1); John Shoesole (1); MikeMack747 (1); Mikerho (1); Munster (1); Nigh (3); oilcan13 (5); Phys (1); PWSlack (3); Relativity PL (1); roy hammy (1); SolarEagle (1); spades (1)

Previous in Forum: Do any Non-Lethal Weapons Exist that would be a Good Alternative to a Gun?   Next in Forum: Capping a Vent Pipe

Advertisement