Previous in Forum: Answers - Questions   Next in Forum: Guests Starting New Threads...
Close
Close
Close
62 comments
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Interested in everything- see my Profile please APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Hobbies - Musician - Autoharp and Harmonica Hobbies - Hunting - Member Hobbies - Fishing - Member

Location: Christchurch, (The Garden City), South Island, New Zealand
Good Answers: 229

How to insert Graphics into your Post to make it more readable or interesting

12/29/2007 7:02 PM

Hello all

I have been asked on several occasions how to insert graphics, (animated or still), into a CR4 Forum Post.

Graphic Formats which are generally compatible with the CR4 Forum include: .jpg .gif .png

CR4 Site Security: CR4 Forum allows Uploading of Graphics from your own Computer, but may not allow a hyperlink to actually show a graphic which is hosted on another website.

Instructions: How to Insert Graphics - Animated and otherwise:

Locate the Graphic:

You may sometimes "liberate" graphics after doing a Google Graphics search for what you want.

So, let's say you want an animated picture of an umbrella, type into Google Graphics Search Engine the two words umbrella ani (not in bold case, of course).

The Google gears spin, and moments later you have a selection of umbrella pics, hopefully animated (ani = animated).

Surf through, locate a likely one, and very importantly ensure you go to the actual website, then the full-size graphic (You don't want the fixed thumb nail picture as shown on Google)

Check for the animation, if OK, "Right Click" with your mouse, "Save As" to your PC system desktop in the meantime, (later moving it to a more permanent location), so you may easily locate it later, and also rename the file, so you can remember what it is.

Ensure that The Graphic File is properly checked by Security Software in your Computer.

You do use Antivirus, Anti-Trojan etc Software?

Of course you do!

So now you have the file in your system, Left Click in the Text Editor in the Forum, (where you want that graphic), go to the small button which looks like a camera, marked with my red arrow in the pic here:

(Insert/Edit Image) and Left Click on that.

A small Graphics Editor window pops up, choose the middle option of "Image Path", and Left Click on the Browse button, per my red arrow in the pic here:

That allows you to explore your own PC System, until you locate the graphic you want (easy if that graphic is temporarily on the desktop).

Once the small Graphics Editor has "grabbed the file", press the "Submit" button as shown with my red arrow here: and the graphic file is UPLOADED to the CR4 website, and given a reference number to locate it in the Post you are making.

Then the Graphic appears in the Text Editor, (If animated, it is not yet seen as animated in the Text Editor Window), carry on and press the "Preview Comment" button in the normal way.

The Preview Comment window opens,and if the graphic file is compatible with the CR4 Forum Software, that animation now shows the animation. (Sometimes the animation does not work, in that case "Right Click" and "Cut" the file, to remove it, and go back in the Text Editor).

If the picture is in the wrong place, Edit Post, use "Right Click" on the graphic (Firefox Browser), and "Cut", then move the cursor to the new location, and Ctrl + V = Paste the graphic into the Text Editor.

Repeat the "Preview Comment" and if OK, Post the completed Comment.

You will be aware that it does pay to look at the completed Post, as it may need further Editing, and CR4 Forum Software advises there is only a total time of 15 minutes allowable for any further Edits, once the Post is completed.

After that 15 minutes any error becomes permanent.

Please note the above instructions are for the CR4 Forum (This Forum), and instructions for other Internet Community Forums vary somewhat from the above, depending on the Forum Software, and particular Forum Rules.....

I have now "several" GB of useful graphics on my local system, all categorised, renamed, and in folders so they are easily located - When I locate any useful graphic, I 'liberate it" for future use.

Of course you would not "liberate" a © Copyrighted © graphic, would you, but most are not, as often the same graphic appears in many different websites, sometimes re-sized and re-named.

Resizing:

Resizing of fixed graphics is done in the Text Editor by Left Click on the Graphic

And a Resizing Frame appears which is shown with the red arrow below:

Move your Mouse Arrow to the Resizing Frame, and left Click on one of the small squares around the Resizing Frame, to drag the Frame (along with the internal picture) larger or smaller as required.

Here the resizing Frame has been dragged and enlarged horizontally only, the crocodile pic at top above:

And here the Resizing Frame has been dragged vertically only:

And here a corner has been dragged, so it is enlarged in proportion:

Resizing of Animated - Moving Graphics:

This is available Off the CR4 Site at special free Graphics Processing Websites.

Because the Gifworks Site is easy to understand I generally go here:

http://www.gifworks.com/cgi-bin/gifworks.pl?com=transfer_open

Carefully follow their Instructions, after the Gifworks processing, "Right Click" on the Graphic as Gifworks resized it on their Website, and "Save As" to your Desktop.

Before I could use my animated Avatar at CR4, it had to be re-sized at Gifworks, to comply with the Avatar size limits for CR4 Avatars.

I also have purchased hundreds of GB of various graphics from others, as required.

You can also "Right Click" in Firefox Browser, on most Websites (including this CR4 one), and "Save As", almost all graphics.

Remember to Save As, into a Folder where you can find them again.

Check for Malware - Viruses, Trojans etc immediately after you save any file to your Computer - Hopefully you have set up Security Software in your own Computer to do that automatically.

If you make an error, providing you Edit it within the CR4 15 minute "Edit window of opportunity", your error can be corrected by yourself, and nobody else will ever know....You will note a count-down advice in Red Letters, showing how much time you have left to further Edit your full Post.

You can go back and forth between the Text Editor and the Preview Window, to ensure your fine creation is going to actually work properly, and you have the layout correct - There is no Time Limit on this.

Easy Graphics Editor:

Although I use Photoshop, CorelDraw and other Graphics Software, they are daunting to start off with, so you could easily try the free Irfanview from here:

http://www.irfanview.com/

Have a go, nobody taught me how, I just tried things until they worked, making many mistakes along the way.

In case you wanted to know who I am, here is a real picture of myself

If you need further help, please ... ...

Kind Regards, from faraway....

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 73

Re: How to insert Graphics into your Post to make it more readable or interesting

12/29/2007 7:16 PM

Sparky,

Thanks! I've been wondering how you do that. I will be studying this post over the next few days as will a lot of others. Great post!

Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #1

Re: How to insert Graphics into your Post to make it more readable or interesting

12/29/2007 11:21 PM

Great Teacher!

Thanks.

Happy 2008--it begins at NZ!

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member China - Member - New Member

12/29/2007 8:23 PM

very good.

I hve posted animation before . hope its interesting and activity. but administrator canceled them all.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

12/29/2007 8:31 PM

Excellent post, SparkY.

One small thing ...

"Check for the animation, if OK, "Left Click" with your mouse, "Save As" to your PC system desktop..."

Maybe it's browser dependent, but I have to use "Right Click" at this point to bring up the menu with "Save As..." on it. (I use IE - think it's 7 but can't see where to find out at present!).

Regards, John

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #3

12/29/2007 9:07 PM

Just found it - it's IE7.0.6000.16574

How to find it:

Locate "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

Right-click on "iexplore.exe", & select "Properties" from the pop-up menu. Select the "Version" tab on the Properties window - the version number will be highlighted.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #4

12/31/2007 3:35 AM

Wouldn't it be easier to just click on the program's (IE in this case) Help button and choose: About whichever program you want to know about, version of it, etc?

Try it, click on your browser Help button/About button above right now and see if it shows you the version.

Ken

Look at the difference between how CR4 displays a graphic (above) and a link of the same file that is on one of my websites (the linked file is below http://MrChevy.com/about.jpg)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

12/31/2007 4:08 AM

It would be, if my config. of IE displayed a menu bar!

I'm familiar with the Help->About feature which most Windows apps have, but without the menu bar, one is a bit stuck.

Aha! Have just found the 'Menu bar' option in the Tools drop-down.

Problem solved. Will turn menu bar off again, as I rarely need it & it takes up useful screen space.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #14

12/31/2007 8:43 AM

Yeah, CTRL F11 turns that ON/OFF I think. How many lines do you run in your browser John? TOP/BOTTOM.

I run two lines at the top and one at the bottom for the tabs. (I do not use IE, that was for demo purposes only)

The line in the OP; "(You don't want the fixed thumb nail picture as shown on Google)" is the lowest line I see with the scroll bar all the way up. 1280/1024. New monitor here this week will be 2560/1600 in native mode. Will have to see how that goes.

Ken

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

12/31/2007 10:15 AM

Hi, Ken. Here are a couple of shots (top & bottom):

Below that is the bar with Start, Quicklaunch etc. (the capture marquee didn't want to go down that far).

On my set-up, F11 toggles off everything at the top, and the bar with Start etc. at the bottom. I can then just about get "Of course you do!" in the OP.

17" LCD panel, 1280/1024.

Let me know how your new monitor goes - what physical size is it?

Regards, John.

In reply to #16

12/31/2007 11:51 AM

Ah, CTRL F11 turns off the Menu Bar in Maxthon but not in IE.

30" monitor

Hooking it up to an HP w/Q6600 Quad CPU/ 4GB's RAM/ Raid 1/ nVidia 8600GT card.

I needed something to play Freecell on.

I'll let you know how it goes when it all gets here later this week John.

Ken

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #17

01/11/2008 8:50 AM

Hi, Ken, Happy New Year. Did you get your new monitor?

In reply to #40

01/12/2008 3:03 AM

Hi John,

Whoops, it is a new year isn't it! YES!! 30" is a MINIMUM size for a monitor!! And a week later Dell comes out with the 3008 with a bunch of added features... for $2,000.00 vs the $1,270.00 I paid for the 3007. Maybe sometime this year I will buy the 3008 and see what it is like. I run it in native mode of 2560x1600, and sit just as close as with the 17", 19" or 22" monitors I have, which is between 17-19" from my nose.

A bummer: The new box has 4x1024GB sticks of RAM in it. Sys shows 3070MB or 3071MB... what the hell. I make a call to Costco Concierge and talk to the kid who answers the phone for an hour... he's been playing with computers for 14 years, overclocks them and all that stuff for friends and family... does all the network work for Costco Concierge and is quitting and going to a full time job at another big company where he will be in charge of/do networking full time... he sounds young, I ask, he says he is 20. Geeez, started messing with computers at 6 years old. His dad is in the computer field.

I've been messing with them for 25 years and hardly know how to turn one on compared to what he knows.

The 3071MB?? Ahhhh, WHAT A RIP OFF by MS. He says:"All Vista Ultimate 32 can 'see' is 3GB usually. Sometimes Ultimate 64 can see the full 4GB but usually not, usually something like 3.5GB or 3.75GB. He has 64 and his sees 4GB but his dad's 64 only sees 3.86GB of the 4GB's of RAM he says. And sometimes that number changes from one boot to the next. BUT, MS knows about the small problem, but they don't care he says, and don't seem to be interested in fixing it. He said the computer sees it, but the OS can't see it all...if it does see the last stick it SORT OF uses it for a halfassed cache."

THANK YOU Microsoft. NOT.

That is why you see so many machines advertised with 3GB's of RAM. BUT, they sure don't say anything about wasting your money paying for 4GB's on any website that I have seen.

But the monitor. YES!!! I recommend it A+++. Haven't dumped Photoshop on the new box yet, guess I might as well put CS3 on it, and hook the spider up and see how it profiles. But, no big rush. Am in the midst of too much other stuff right now.

Ken

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #42

01/12/2008 4:49 AM

I know it's a sin, but sometimes just can't help it!

Stuffed by MS AGAIN!

John

United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #43

01/14/2008 10:20 AM

Just another "undocumented feature"...

New Zealand - Member - Interested in everything- see my Profile please APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Hobbies - Musician - Autoharp and Harmonica Hobbies - Hunting - Member Hobbies - Fishing - Member

In reply to #43

Re: How to insert Graphics into your Post to make it more readable or interestin

01/14/2008 5:17 PM

Hello John,

If you're having trouble with MS Internet Explorer, do the change to Mozilla Firefox.

There is the option of "Copy Installing" your favourites etc. from Internet Explorer into Firefox, as you install Firefox.

Always obtain Firefox from:http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/firefox/

Once Firefox is installed, you will find great improvements, plus plenty of free add-ons.

Kind Regards....

In reply to #3

Re: How to insert Graphics into your Post to make it more readable or interestin

12/29/2007 11:11 PM

Hello JohnDG,

You are correct, and I was incorrect at that point sorry everyone.

I had almost finished the Tutorial, and friends called in for a chat and cup of tea.

The correct method for Firefox is: "Check for the animation, if OK, "RIGHT Click" with your mouse, "Save As" to your PC system desktop..."

As I am not an Admin here, I am unable to Edit my Tutorial, since the 15 minute Edit window of opportunity has elapsed.

Perhaps if some kind Admin reads this, could they please Edit my Tutorial, thank you.

Apologies all around.

It just proves that before you Post, check, re-check and if you are interrupted, check and re-check again.

Then, particularly if your Post is a complex one, check and re-check again, before Posting.

Kind Regards....

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661

12/30/2007 5:10 AM

Nice one Sparky....

I shall use it sparingly, as it is nice that we all have our own style.

It would be very handy to illustrate, say my chinese repeating crossbow...so of course this begs the question...

How do we animate our own drawings?... I've just ordered a graphics tablet (Christmas pressie to myself )

Del

In reply to #7

12/30/2007 6:21 AM

I think this is where you need some fancy software.

I'm sure lots of packages can do it - Adobe Imageready can, as can Jasc Animation Workshop.

You can put your individual frames in a folder (best to call them something like XBow1, XBow2 etc. to get them in the right order), then (with Imageready) there's a "Convert folder to animation" option, or something like that. It reads them all in and strings them together to make an animated .gif

Alternatively, you can add the frames one at a time.

Don't know any freeware that'll do it, but I imagine there must be lots out there - can anyone else advise?

In reply to #8

12/30/2007 6:49 AM

Some programs for webpage design (Fireworks etc.) can also produce animated .gifs

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #7

12/31/2007 12:52 AM

It's not pretty but here's some Okee cad, draw on a dry erase & take a picture of it!

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

In reply to #11

12/31/2007 12:54 AM

Oh no I've given up my top secret plans

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #12

12/31/2007 10:43 PM

Too late!! The Russians have already photocopied it. Now we're really in BIG trouble!

Where's Jason Bourne?

12/31/2007 12:47 AM

Thanks SS

I'll try playing w/the finer points as needed. How do I get full sized files to come out as thumbs, w/out messing up the aspect ratio?

I stuck with IE7, instead of going back to firefox, since my broadband connection, lets me store my mail on their server, so when I hit the road It's waiting for me. Thunderbird always hijacks my primary account, not allowing me to just move this secondary acct.. Sorry I never gave you feedback on that bit of advice, better late than never!

wow you can really make the ani sing, you've definitly put the time in!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

12/31/2007 12:42 PM

Resize it using the corner handle - width & height will change together, maintaining the aspect ratio.

(SparkY did say that, in his last croc-resizing example in the OP).

Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 18

12/31/2007 12:21 PM

Good one! I have asked that question before, but I didn't get an answer . . .

United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 20

12/31/2007 3:13 PM

As I've said before (but I'm seldom shy about repeating myself...) U da MAN!

12/31/2007 3:36 PM

What a Tutorial Sparky! Thanks.

United States - Member - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 13

12/31/2007 5:12 PM

Hello Sparkstation, thanks for the info, and for sharing your charming graphics. Maybe you can help me figure out why my avatar, a 86 kB moving gif, does not move once uploaded to CR4? Other moving gifs have worked properly, as in the dodecahedron below (well I don't see moving as I type this message, but I expect that it will move once I submit this message, as it did in the past). I just noticed that the second image below is 775 kB, while my avatar is only 86 kB -- maybe I didn't upload all of the individual frames of my avatar's moving gif?

Guru

In reply to #22

12/31/2007 11:26 PM

Hello svengali,

"Maybe you can help me figure out why my avatar, a 86 kB moving gif, does not move once uploaded to CR4?"

I have used the Gifworks tools as advised in my original Post to comply with the CR4 Forum maximum sized Avatar, of Width = 80pixels and Height = 80 pixels.

As the CR4 Avatar size maximum is thus 80x80 pixels, and must be only a .gif .jpeg/.jpg format, all oversize graphics will be re-sized to fit into the 80x80 pixel max Avatar window allowance.

So...At CR4: Fixed oversized .gif files are automatically reduced to the 80x80 pixel sizing - Without any bother, because the picture is simple.

Animated or moving oversized .gif files are also decreased to the max of 80x80 pixels.

Your Original animated .gif file is (alchemy.gif) W101px H142px 88153bytes.

When animated .gif or .jpg/jpeg format files are reduced in size by the CR4 Forum Software, the Software takes an instantaneous 'snap" of the file picture, and because that is the FIRST FRAME OF THE ANIMATED PICTURE, the result is a reduced sized FIXED picture - WITHOUT ANY ANIMATION.

So...I Right-Clicked on your original animated .gif file is (alchemy.gif) W101px H142px 88153bytes. - the one in your actual Post.

Then I saved it to my desktop, named as your original with details of pixel and file byte size.

Off to Gifworks.com as in original Post, selected: Free Online GIF Tools and followed the Instructions = Upload file, resize, for resizing so that the maximum pixel dimension was 80pixels.

Gifworks special Software worked behind the scenery, in the usual efficient manner, and reduced in proper proportion, your original animated .gif file.

So then I uploaded the resized animated picture for you, right here and you can "Right Click" on this new Avatar Picture, "SaveAs" to your own Computer, Rename as: svengali CR4 Avatar ani.gif

Then go to your Profile, follow instructions for Upload new Avatar from your own Computer Hard Drive, and the new Avatar, which will now animate, automatically uploads and replaces your present fixed Avatar.

It will commence Animating as your Avatar, when you close your "Profile" window.

As mentioned, Gifworks resizing software is very special, taking into account all the individual pictures which make the full animation.

It all seems a long process, and I took over 15 minutes to write this Post to explain.

The actual job took less than 18 seconds.

Mind you, I have done it before, many times.

Have a try at re-sizing or altering some graphics at Gifworks, just to learn how to do it- you may need to show off your new-found skills to others.

Kind Regards....

United States - Member - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

In reply to #31

01/01/2008 8:58 PM

Hi Sparkstation,

Thank you for your time and effort fixing my animated avatar. And also for your very good explanation -- I finally understand why some animated GIFs displayed properly, and others didn't when used as CR4 avatars. I will definitely check out Gifworks.

Happy New Year!

In reply to #31

09/18/2008 3:53 PM

please tell me is it need any software to download this graphics

In reply to #47

09/18/2008 6:50 PM

Hello sandeep lokhande

irfanview Graphics software is always free to Download and use.

The use of Gifworks Free Online GIF Tools is also free for use, you do not need to Download the program, just use it on the Gifworks website.

Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable is always free to Download and use.

Have a try with those, learn something new.

Kind Regards....

12/31/2007 5:52 PM

Hey, I think I've figured it out.

Thanks again, Sparky! Happy New Year!

In reply to #23

12/31/2007 8:15 PM

Naughty person - slapped wrist. Hope someone is taking you in hand tonight.

Happy New Year.

In reply to #24

12/31/2007 9:33 PM

Thank you John. I don't think I've been called 'naughty' in the last forty years! It feels good. I think I shall be having a glass of scotch tonight...

Delay...

Later.. I had a glass of scotch. It felt as if I should definitely have another. And so I shall. Don't expect any further responses tonight.

You may rest assured that someone is taking me in hand tonight. I think we will usher in the New Year in quiet dignity away from the bustling crowds...wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Happy New Year.

In reply to #23

12/31/2007 11:35 PM

Nice one! I think I saved her in my bedroom directory. I'll go check. if I'm not back in 10 minutes, you'll know that I found her.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661
In reply to #32

01/01/2008 3:53 AM

You can have the top...I'll eat that tail

In reply to #32

01/01/2008 9:10 PM

For you mermaid fans, check out this web site that I maintain:

http://www.thefeejeemermaid.com

(WARNING: these mermaids don't look quite as pretty as the ones posted by ba/ael)

Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Location: East of Seattle, Washington state Republic of the 50 states of America
Good Answers: 36

12/31/2007 10:16 PM

Thanks Sparkie I cheat. Because it is easy.

I get my computer systems rebuilt It will be fun but everything has to be relearned after a ten year sabbatical from computers.

Brad

In reply to #26

12/31/2007 10:27 PM

What's the problem Brad? You have a flaky HDD (harddrive) that won't retain information for 10 years? LOL

I think probably most of us have a HDD that does that on a regular basis. I think the information is still there, we just can't access it.

Ken

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: East of Seattle, Washington state Republic of the 50 states of America
In reply to #28

12/31/2007 10:56 PM

My ultra ultra SCSI drive didn't last as long as my wrongful imprisonment. All 2.3 Gigs.

I worked for Intel and my personal PC was as fast as any that didn't have extra RISC processors. A whole 4Megs Vram, 120Megs Dram 625 MIPS from a PII 266. Overclocked, hand made Ram, about 5 grand in hardware with no optical drive. Ran NT4.5. Ran Auto Cad 12 like it was tic tac toe. The MICRON Mother Board with the optimised Ram bus helped.

Now my laptop is 21 times faster in MIPS but bloated software makes it seem slower. I do like the cable modem though. Runs a lot faster than dial up. Graphics are fancier but I can't always say better. Less Ram made for cleaner faster code.

When the EX had to get a new HDD 10 Gig was the smallest made.

Now I'm starting over 3 generations behind from being very state of the art.

Good thing I'm a quick learner.

Brad

In reply to #30

01/01/2008 12:10 AM

Brad,

The flaky HDD I was asking you about is the one between your (our) ears. It has unlimited capacity as far as we know. And all of us have one that is flaky to some extent. Sometimes the "search" engine doesn't return the datum we wanted for days/weeks/months... and then, one day, bam, there it is, pops right up on our screen. Usually the datum we are looking for is a persons name it seems. So until our HDD "special" (subconscious) seach engine finds what we need, we us a term like "what-cha-muh-call-it" for their name.

Hey, I have 5 Kaypro 10's sitting out in the shop with CP/M and/or Zcpr3 on them. Dang near impossible to fill up a 10MB HDD!! 9" green screen! 64KB RAM. The "good ol' days". :)

Or going from MFM to RLL and figuring out that wasn't a good move sometimes. 2400baud modems for $425. Ah, the "good ol' days!"

Could I interest you in some 600MB FH SCSI drives that back in the day I paid $600 each for, used at that.

This hobby has cost me a lot of money in the last 25 years... but LOTS of fun!

From the parts you played with it appears you enjoyed "playing" with them a lot too. :)

1995: 4 one MB sticks of RAM, $700. Fast forward 2007: I just gave one of my employees a complete computer with 2GB's of RAM that cost me $716, he thought that was a pretty good Christmas bonus. Geeez.

What was your wrongful imprisonment?

Ken

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #33

01/01/2008 1:13 AM

Rail roaded on a sex charge, Attorney Gen. became Gov. on S.O. platform.

Getting ready to file 16 counts of perjury on arresting officer for lies to grand jury and 7 civil rights on public pretender, and haven't figured out how many on prosecutor.

Public pretenders make 1500.00 for plea. They don't make that much in per hr. for a year case. Seems odd they broke more laws in my case than I broke in my life and mine were victim less and never caught(in my teens).

Oh well the system is broke and corrupt. Nothing new there.

Now that I have legal access I'll fix it. The system is not what they say, hard way to learn.

That HDD has only one oiled bearing, some rattles related to a few empty screw holes, and the file allocation tables are temperamental. Not to bad for wet wear.

Brad

12/31/2007 10:27 PM

Thanks Sparky. I, along with many others, as you know, have wondered about this. I think I got raindrop here from one of your earlier posts. I just happened to save it.

I appreciate the info.

-John

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

01/02/2008 8:18 AM
Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member China - Member - New Member

In reply to #38

01/02/2008 10:56 PM

who are they? so delight?

actors and actresses

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #39

01/11/2008 9:55 PM

Yes, cnpower

Many are now deceased, because that movie clip looks dated around 1955.

Probably at an "Oscars Award" ceremony.

I do recognize some of the actors/actresses.

Kind Regards....

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104
In reply to #38

01/26/2008 1:00 PM

Well, PWSlack,

I have been reading Harry Potter books. It seems that your picture is not ordinary actors and actresses, they are wizards and witches! I know that because they are moving. Muggle pictures would be stationary. So sorry.

S

10/07/2008 11:41 PM

These are the only options I am given for this forum

Linking:

[link url="http://..."][/link]

Formatting:

bold

italic

[img src="http://.../pic.gif"]

In reply to #49

10/08/2008 3:02 AM

Hello CharlesJones

Advise your Internet Browser please.

Perhaps you need to log out, clear out your Browser Cache properly, and Re-log in.

You should then be OK.

Advise your progress here, with

Kind Regards....

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member

Good Answers: 30
In reply to #50

01/19/2009 1:11 PM

Hello Sparkstation,

I wonder as how I missed this thread, well almost missed.

I think I now understand as why my gif animations are not working in here.

Well, can we insert swf files also or only gif?

Popular Science - Biology - life lover Hobbies - Musician - music lover Safety - Hazmat - better safe than sorry United Arab Emirates - Member - desert trek Technical Fields - Procurement - procurement

Good Answers: 58
In reply to #51

02/20/2010 4:10 AM

CR4's server accepts only image and gif ani files, not shockwave or flash animations.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Location: Next to the Prime Merridian (51°29'34.50"N 0°13'32.85"W)
Good Answers: 1
In reply to #50

04/01/2009 2:52 PM

Hi sparky,

How can I put acad pictures in here and video clip in my avatar, is that possible?

In reply to #52

04/01/2009 7:51 PM

Sparky seems to have gone () - but his instructive comments in this thread (among other threads) are still very sound.

The sketches I've posted on CR4 have all been done using acad - I 'plot' them to Microsoft Office Document Image Writer, or Acrobat Distiller - they both yield a nice black-on-white drawing - which I then use Paintshop Pro or Photoshop to convert to jpg (using screen capture).

If you don't have access to any above-mentioned, you can set up acad with white background and black lines (maybe you use it like this anyway), and use [CTRL]PrtSc (print screen) to save it on the clipboard, then paste it into a new MS Paint document. You can then edit it (if you want), & save as... jpg or gif. Just right for posting on CR4.

Video clip as an avatar? Don't know, unless you can find a way to turn it into an 80x80 animated gif.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

04/06/2009 11:42 AM

Lovely Tutorial Sparky, many thanks.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

02/20/2010 1:49 PM

Has anyone recently heard from "Sparky"?

In reply to #56

02/20/2010 4:12 PM

Hi Andy,

I am not participating these days but what's suppose to be wrong with sparky?

In reply to #57

02/20/2010 4:26 PM

Isti80,

We don't know, but he hasn't posted on this forum since Dec. 31, 2008.

In reply to #58

02/20/2010 4:43 PM

ba/ael,

O'bummer!

I had the impression he was still working and assumed he is still too young to leave, if that's the case.

Didn't somebody just upset him by any chance?

In reply to #59

02/20/2010 5:07 PM

I am assuming a lot, but I always had the feel that "Sparkstation" was older, probably at least my age (63). He simply knew too much to be very young.

So the thought is that something fairly "terminal" has happened to him.......but hopefully not!!

In reply to #60

02/20/2010 6:20 PM

I gave finding him a shot on this thread

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/38927#comment414954

Anybody a ham operator?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #60

02/20/2010 8:02 PM

I don't know what to say.......but hopefully nothing serious! By the way, I like how you compare the Inspector to a PIG in your comment.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (3); ba/ael (4); Bill (1); capri (1); CharlesJones (1); cnpower (2); Del the cat (2); EnviroMan (2); Garthh (4); Isti80 (4); JohnDG (11); Johnjohn (3); langyaw (1); MrChevy (6); MUKULMAHANT (1); PWSlack (1); sandeep lokhande (1); Sparkstation (6); StandardsGuy (1); svengali (3); U V (3); yesyen (1)

Previous in Forum: Answers - Questions   Next in Forum: Guests Starting New Threads...

Advertisement