Close
Close
Close
Page 1 of 4: « First 1 2 3 Next > Last »
Guru

Good Answers: 143

Strangest Hunting Method

02/17/2008 2:02 PM

This is really due to Case491, but I'll start it anyway. What's the most unusual method of hunting (or fishing if you like) you've ever seen or used? Include your family members if you like. There are extra points for the most complex technological answer (a servocontrolled '69 Pinto, for example).

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Olde Member!! Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 45

Re: Strangest hunting method

02/17/2008 2:37 PM

On a cold morning many moons ago.... I was driving back from my parents place in Wales to home.... i started off at 5 in the morning on a Sunday...

The weather was good, a little light mist permeated the air making the road almost invisible.... *insert howls of wolves here*.

My parents lived in the middle of nowwhere and the tiny country lanes showed no sign of haveing been driven on all night...

Gunning my GTi down the road I floored the accelerator.... Oh the joy of being free again!!! after 5 days of intolerable servitude I could at last go home to where I can do things not allowed by my parents....

Such as pour a drink, have a cigarette, goto bed when I wanted!!

The feeling was good.... with pounding heart I raced away from the cursed place at a goodly rate of knots......

I then heard a bump and the car went over a bump in the road which was not there!!? ?!!

I broke using the brakes to stop and curiosity got the better of me as I ventured out into the early morning mist... **insert intrepid piano music here**

Upon walking back a few metres, or yards in them days, I found a little lamb lying in the road - DEAD!!!

I had run it over... oh the shame the mixed emotions and the glint in my eye as I wrapped it up and put it in the back of my car and carefully sped to my home 230 miles further on.... with wicked thoughts of mint sauce in mind!!!

John....

New Zealand - Member - Interested in everything- see my Profile please APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Hobbies - Musician - Autoharp and Harmonica Hobbies - Hunting - Member Hobbies - Fishing - Member

Location: Christchurch, (The Garden City), South Island, New Zealand
Good Answers: 229
In reply to #1

02/17/2008 4:09 PM

Hello Electroman

Jolly well written.

Have you ever thought of writing novels as a career?

Kind Regards....

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #2

02/17/2008 5:22 PM

... he could call this one "Silence of the Lamb"!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662
In reply to #1

02/17/2008 5:38 PM

Excellent telling of the story....

Me and my brothers once had Swan and Chips.... roadkill (the Swan not the chips).

Good Answers: 7
In reply to #1

02/21/2008 6:40 AM

Very good story but why did you use your brakes to stop????? Do you normally carry a 2 ton anchor as an alternative

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #164

02/21/2008 7:49 AM

Or possibly just a gravity and friction stop? Takes a bit longer, but w/o the engine pulling along, you'll eventually coast to a stop. Never did tell us how the mint sauce was, either...

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

02/17/2008 5:36 PM

Does guddling for (aka tickling) trout count?

I don't know how widely it's know, but if you find a trout-stream - preferably with undercut banks - you can put your hand in the water and creep up on a trout - tickling it's belly until you've gained its confidence enough to grab it & flip it out on the bank. It works!

Only other suggestion for unusual/out-of-order fishing is dynamite - but I've never tried it.

(Oh, yea -and someone once said that maggots dipped in curry powder is a killer for carp - but I didn't have any (curry powder) at the time, and they (the carp) seemed quite happy with bread.)

02/17/2008 5:45 PM

My Brother used to work for the Natural History Museum as a Taxidermist.. he wanted a specimen of some particular Gull which was difficult to get...
He used one of my crossbows with a fishing line attached to the bolt so when the Gull fell off it's cliff he could reel it in! He incorporated a length of rubber into the line to act as a shock absorber.

(The bolt had a modified target pile with a small wire barb to ensure it stayed in the Gull)

Techinically illegal in the UK, hunting with a bow....(bloody travesty I say, hunting with the Longbow should be compulsory....calm calm Del don't go off on a rant ... whew close thing there....just managed to take myself in hand...well it's one way of keeping calm)

Del

In reply to #6

02/17/2008 6:47 PM

Blimey - dead gulls bungee-jumping - who'd-a-thot-it?

Was it a "real" cross-bow?

When I was about 14/15 I made one with a rigid frame and 4 x ¼" elastic (as purchased for catapults), with a bit of piano wire where the bolt was notched. Had to buy "proper" arrows & cut them down to use as bolts. Could've done with bigger gauge piano-wire, or a thickened region, as half the bolts got bifurcated (and went nowhere) when I squeezed the trigger. Other problem was the bolts that flew either stuck too deeply into a tree to be retrieved intact, or were never seen again.

I always fancied getting a car leaf-spring from a scrappies to make a cross-bow. In those days, leaf-springs could be found. But sic transit gloria mundi (which means "the show must go on" !).

In reply to #8

02/18/2008 4:08 AM

Ha yes..you mention all the early stages of human male crossbow development there!
It was a 'proper' early leaf spring one! Sawing down the length of a car leaf spring taught me a lot...including how to check which side is scrap......Having shaped the first limb, I got half way down the second and then sawed off the limb (the shaping was 3 straight cuts, with the scrap being sawn off at each change of profile).

My Brother stepped in, and we cut another spring...5minute shifts sawing non stop...we got through the sucker eventually.

Leaf springs aren't that great for bows, a bit too heavy, unless you shoot a nice heavy bolt to maximise the recovered energy.

I have a pretend medieval 'light hunting crossbow' 275lb draw weight made from a leaf spring. (needs a lever to cock it) I let my mate shoot at a huge wooden panel in a disused rifle range, I stood about 5yards to one side of the target (Full protective gear of course ) The bolt sounded like an approaching steam train and when it hit, the whole 6'x4' tongue and groove panel shook. All a tad scary

Maybe I'll refurb it and post a pic some time .

Del

PS The spell checker doesn't like 'sawn' !! Wassup with it? Well I spose it's got monday morning blues

Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #15

02/18/2008 4:39 AM

PS The spell checker doesn't like 'sawn' !! Wassup with it? Well I spose it's got monday morning blues.

Must be an American version of spell checker, because sawn is the past participle of saw in the English language, if my memory serves me correctly.

You should add it to the spell check dictionary.

Good Answers: 143
In reply to #16

02/18/2008 7:18 PM

Well, it's certainly good Hillbilly American, as in

"I seen Bubba yesitday."

"I have sawn uglier folks than momma, jist not many."

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #15

02/19/2008 8:29 PM

Del: I remember being able to make crossbows back in high school, and that was a rite of passage for those guys that hunted. I watched on kid mount up a kit and didn't check the wood stock that he worked so hard on for sturdiness, and when he mounted the leaf spring that came with the kit, as he let go the trigger the spring pulled the leaf clean out of the stock, caused the small arrow to flip up and stick into the ceiling of the high school wood shop...guess Douglas fir just ain't the best kind of wood.....it was worth the sight just to see the look on his face!!

Now you can't even think of making such a "novelty" Twisted Piston

In reply to #6

02/17/2008 6:51 PM

Duz ya bruvva givya sum bovva an hit ya when ya call im a Stuffa? My bro like dat to.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Petroleum Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 149
In reply to #6

03/06/2008 12:13 PM

Del, on the point of the illegal use of a bow, I understand that in your criminal's utopia of a country, if you defend yourself in your own home and kill a would be robber/rapist/murderer while in the act of invading your domicile, you will be the one brought up on murder charges in the Old Bailey.

Is it me, or is there something fundamentally wrong with a country that wants to register baseball bats and machetes, and hold people up on murder charges for defending themselves? Here in Texas, if someone tries to break in. You have the legal right to blow them to the next dimension. You Brits need to have another revolution if you ask me.

United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #300

03/06/2008 1:22 PM

Right-o, and that means it's open season on criminal elements, thus getting back on the topic of strange hunting...I will correct that 'score 1 for off-topic' here in a moment with a GA point.

There are several states with that 'defense of home' attitude. In Iowa, the rule is they have to actually have intruded. So if you kill them on the porch, try to get at least 1 foot over the doorsill before the cops arrive...

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Petroleum Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

In reply to #301

03/06/2008 1:33 PM

Here in Texas, it doesn't even have to be your own home. It could be your neighbor's house with the neighbor not home and the grand jury will no bill you. You also don't have the duty to retreat either, you can stand your ground and blow the critter to kingdom come if need be.

The right to protect yourself is granted by God, the Second Amendment of the US constitution merely recognizes that it is an inalienable right given to us by our creator. The right to the possession of private property is also a fundamental freedom. I would add that this legal concept is derived from ENGLISH law from before the current crop of idiots decided that you are serfs belonging to the government and not free men. Read Blackstone if you do not believe me.

Anyone who seeks to restrain your right to self defense or the defense of your property is by their act a criminal that should be punished.

In reply to #302

03/06/2008 4:24 PM

Get a rope! Find a tree...

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #300

03/06/2008 5:48 PM

We have not had the first revolution yet, we leave that to our "Revolting Colonies"....

Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 16
In reply to #305

03/06/2008 6:55 PM

Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector just might disagree.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #306

03/07/2008 2:42 AM

That was a civil war!!!

Perhaps we are only talking semantics......but I feel that there is a serious difference.

In reply to #308

03/07/2008 9:21 AM

What is a civil war but a revolution? It certainly is not a war of invasion.

Britain has had at least 5 revolutions that I can think of.

http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/timelines/index.htm

civil war –noun a war between political factions or regions within the same country.

rev·o·lu·tion /ˌrɛvəˈluʃən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rev-uh-loo-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun

1.an overthrow or repudiation and the thorough replacement of an established government or political system by the people governed.

In reply to #309

03/07/2008 9:35 AM

And given that we Colonials were governed by the King until the Revolutionary War, that would certainly qualify as our first Civil War, would it not? So the War Between the States (1861-65) would have been CWII, correct?

In reply to #312

03/07/2008 9:46 AM

One could argue that the war of 1812 and the french-indian war were additional civil wars.

In reply to #315

03/07/2008 12:25 PM

Hmmm...French & Indian Wars were invasory (we Colonials were still loyal - more-or-less - British subjects at the time) by French-Canadien troops aided by Native American/Canadian peoples (who all had been invaded previously by all of the Europeans). War of 1812 was an invasion onto American soil by British troops. Nope, sorry, I'd have to disconcur on that pair. Personally, I don't see a nickel's worth of difference between a civil war and a revolution, but both must be by/from those within a given political system. The Picts didn't revolt against Hadrian's legions, they were invaded by them and fought back.

In reply to #312

03/07/2008 9:57 AM

No I personally much prefer to call you all one of our "Revolting Colonies", it rolls off the tongue MUCH better for a Limey!

I am sure you will not agree, you you "Colonist!"

In reply to #317

03/07/2008 12:33 PM

Hey, you just better watch who yer callin' a columnist, ya citrus-based expatriate!

I hope you don't find us all that revolting...

In reply to #322

03/08/2008 2:52 AM

Actually, I still have a large number of US Citizens who are good friends.

Recently one sent me a load of stuff I had picked up on the web in the USA and despite requests from me, has still not told me how much I owe him!!

In reply to #323

03/08/2008 4:53 PM

Fairly typical - I doubt you could beat it out of him!

In reply to #309

03/07/2008 9:40 AM

Your dictionaries also seem to favor a difference between Civil War and Revolution.....it is not just me!!

In reply to #313

03/07/2008 9:44 AM

I really don't see that, one is the process by which you achieve the other. They are intertwined. I suppose you could have a revolution without firing a shot, that is what happened with the fall of the Soviet Union, but that is the rare exception that proves the rule. And of course thanks to the stupidity of the russians, they are heading back towards the bad old days again.

In reply to #305

03/07/2008 9:32 AM

Didn't one of your past Kings find the Magna Carta kind of 'revolting'?

In reply to #311

03/07/2008 9:53 AM

King John was the King in question, if you have watched the cartoon of Robin Hood, he is the animal called "PeeJott" or "PJ" = Prince John!!!.

Thats what helped England become civilized, Magna Carta, when the forbears of the USA were also "helped"! Even the US Constitution has evolved from this document to some degree....

It was signed at Runnymede, the site can be still seen, it was relatively near to where I used to work at one time, Woking, UK (where the world's best Wok cooking comes from!!)

Click on the link to see a picture of the document and a picture of an early copy (it still exists) from 1215....and is considered one of the most important legal documents in the history of democracy (Wiki Quote!)

Magna Carta

In reply to #316

03/07/2008 12:01 PM

"when the forbears of the USA were also "helped""

Sure were - and they still appreciate it, too!

I never saw a cartoon version, Douglas Fairbanks and Tyrone Power were the Robin Hood types I'm familiar with (from the old movies).

In reply to #319

03/09/2008 10:56 AM

Hey! EnviroMan,

What's this, in the story of Goldilocks that I read there were only 3 bears.

In reply to #329

03/10/2008 6:30 AM

Yeah, but that's Goldie - Andy was referring to "the forbears of the USA ", not the "threebears of the USA". That's a whole different story...

In reply to #331

03/10/2008 7:37 AM

Ha Ha....

In reply to #331

03/10/2008 8:54 AM

I guess I'll have to bear that one!!!

In reply to #333

03/10/2008 8:58 AM

OR

in the singular..................I can bear that ONE.

In reply to #333

03/10/2008 9:01 AM

Yep, just and it! (hee hee hee)

In reply to #311

03/07/2008 10:15 AM

Didn't one of your past Kings find the Magna Carta kind of 'revolting'?

Yes, I think so, but evidently most kings chose to ignore it in the Middle Ages, until the Civil War.

Mind you the Magna Carta is probably one of the most important documents in the history of democracy.............. it also formed the basis for the US Constitution and Bill of Rights.

The AMERICAN spell check doesn't even know about it, let alone spell Magna Carta.

In reply to #318

03/07/2008 12:08 PM

"The AMERICAN spell check doesn't even know about it"

The thing about spell chequers is that they only can deal with words that are already IN their dictionary. Toss in a perfectly good word like, say, valetudinarian, and no spill choker known will be able to deal with it. Nor with grammar, syntax, or malapropisms. Which is why I never use them. Any speling errors in MY posts are all my own (and usually deliberate).

Good Answers: 87

02/17/2008 6:26 PM

I havn't done, but I have seen it. In Oklahoma USA they practice noodling. This is a method for catching large cat fish.

What you do is feel around under water until you find a hole, you then stick your bare hand deep into the hole searching for a catfish. When you find one, you stick your hand into the fish's mouth, and when he bites down, you drag him out of the hole.

These guys pull 20 lb cat fish out of these under water holes...

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #7

02/18/2008 9:45 AM

There is a video on the web showing this method in action. Probably available on YouTube

Good Answers: 37
In reply to #27

03/08/2008 9:33 AM

(replying to #7) # 27 said, "There is a video on the web showing this method in action. Probably available on YouTube."

True! Probably a bunch, but here's one I saw a while back and had to re-locate:

https://youtu.be/TmG3XQ-kNpQ828192

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #324

03/08/2008 12:25 PM

YOWW!!! Those are some BIG fish!

But I think I'll stick to the bait-and-hook method.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #324

03/09/2008 11:04 AM

Try that method with one of these babies!!!!!!!

Your arm would probably end up like this..............

02/17/2008 11:39 PM

One of the best that I remember for hunting was stringing parachute cords at antler hight.

or getting all the kids to sharpen out stakes of aspen to make a fish trap in the whole stream amazing what you can catch.

bow hunting just to stalk and see how close you can get.

trying to grab trout by hand .

the time tossing hand grenades in a river, big fish.

or calling in a air strike expecting collateral damage, water buffalo does taste like beef, and ducks just lose their feathers which helps preperation time.

shot correctly a fifty caliber round will clean and gut a water buffalo! a car-15 round will do the same for a duck.

joshua

Register to Reply
Associate

02/17/2008 11:47 PM

I hunt squirrels. I use my car.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

02/18/2008 2:56 AM

Kris, watch out!!, there is a Squirrel Hunter here on CR4!!!!

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #13

02/20/2008 7:04 AM

Dayhead's car is the least of my worries. Until recently, anyone catching a squrriel in the UK was obliged to kill it ! They carry Parapax, which kills the reds. According to this, some people get quite enthusiastic with a hammer.

In reply to #128

02/20/2008 8:11 AM

While I can see the wisdom in deleting this non-native species from the strength, doing so will leave a paucity of native bushy-tailed tree-rats, and you'll soon be up to the bum in acorns. What then?

As to not having the heart to kill and eat them (or anyway, kill them), those who would not can simply refrain from catching them, can they not? Or is there some silly law that says everyone must make all effort to do so?

In reply to #133

02/20/2008 9:17 AM

I'm not sure that excess acorns is a problem. One suggestion considered was putting Greys on contraception, not a barrier method though !

In reply to #136

02/20/2008 1:28 PM

So the Greys are an introduced species with something just over a hundred years of breeding from the original few pairs to reach their several millions. And the Reds have been around for tens of THOUSANDS of years, and yet are down to a couple hundred thou individuals. As a biologist, this fascinates me. Any theories as to why the lopsided success rate?

And don't be so cavalier about those excess acorns. I could tell you stories... (Make yer 'air stand on end, they would, sahr!)

In reply to #145

02/21/2008 2:10 AM

I'm not sure that there's a fully accepted single mechanism. Here is one bit of blurb which doesn't sound totally convincing. There is debate over sub-species, and also the diet of reds/greys. This is a good article I just found. Food competition doesn't totally convince me as an explanation. The Greys are bigger and more aggressive. Man made changes to habitat could be a factor. Also Greys carry Parapox without harm to themselves, but lethal to reds.

Newly introduced species are often seen as a problem, but that's almost a definition. If they weren't released to the wild and successful, we wouldn't see them. American Reds don't look as cute, but maybe one day we'll end up importing them ! It's a theme that sounds the same as with many other non-indigenous animal species (Cane toads,Crayfish etc)

Good Answers: 7
In reply to #162

02/21/2008 6:36 AM

Lots of history also confirms that indigenous species often suffer or totally dissappear due to the introduction.

The Dodo is a good example, after successful introduction of humans they became extinct !

Guru

In reply to #163

02/21/2008 6:41 AM

D'oh Do'h !

In reply to #165

02/21/2008 7:45 AM

Pop? Where'd ya go, Pop? I just heard your voice...

In reply to #162

02/21/2008 7:42 AM

American reds may not be as cute, but they do successfully compete with greys to the best of my knowledge. Of course most of our reds are bigger than most of our greys, too. I have a feeling that most problems wild animals have are mainly due to anthropogenic influences (man's interference).

Coyotes excepted, of course...seem to adapt well to city life. There are several packs that run the nighttime streets of LA (Los Angeles, CA, that is, not Louisiana)!

In reply to #166

02/21/2008 3:57 PM

"Coyotes excepted, of course..."

We have the same sort of thing over here - foxes all over the place! They don't seem to do much harm, though.

Some people advocate having them ripped to bits by packs of dogs; it's not my idea of a solution to this non-problem.

In reply to #176

02/21/2008 5:09 PM

I enjoy listening to our local coyote pack about 0430 when I'm having my first cuppa on the verandah. Probably about 6-10 of 'em, but you'd swear it was 50! Foxes abound here too, but you hardly ever see, and almost never hear them. Secretive little buggers!

In reply to #166

02/22/2008 9:09 AM

Yes but they have taken up the business of smuggling illegal aliens, all the more reason to exterminate them.

In reply to #193

02/22/2008 11:32 AM

ROFLMAO!!!

And here all this time I thought that was just a figure of speech! Who knew?

In reply to #198

02/22/2008 1:25 PM

Eman, no joke, here in Houston we have had several shootouts between rival gangs of Coyotes. It is not at all unusual for the cops to find an apartment with 30 people chained up and held captive awaiting their relatives to pay the ransom/smuggling fees. It happens at least a couple times a month. Often women are sold into prostitution if the family can't come up with the money, or sometimes even if they do.

The Rio Grande is over 400 miles away but we still live on the border. it has moved to us because our federal government is so pitifully stupid and won't build a real fence. they want to build a "virtual fence" I guess they'll be happy to "virtually catch" "virtual" illegals.

I have only one more thing to say on the subject.

Mow your own damned grass!

ok, I'm going to go drink heavily now...

United Kingdom - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: South-east corner of Spain 50 48 49.24N 2 28 27.70W
Good Answers: 31
In reply to #203

02/22/2008 1:35 PM

I've got that friday feeling too! Going to pop a few ciders tonight!

In reply to #204

02/22/2008 1:46 PM

Truman, my dispair has little to do with it being Friday and everything to do with the fact that of the three presidential candidates I have to choose from, every damned one of them is a communist libtard that just can't wait to sell the last remaining superpower on earth down the river and turn it into yet another lawless corrupt third world hellhole like Mexico.

All you guys from the right and left coasts who think I'm being over dramatic about this and just can't understand why I might have a problem with McCain or shrillary or Obamamama, trust me when I tell you, I'm already living it here in Texas, I know what is in store for the rest of the country if something doesn't change soon. Mark my words. you'll regret putting those morons in the White House.

United Kingdom - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #205

02/22/2008 2:13 PM

I've only seen coverage on the news. It's just like watching a bunch of squabbling kids fighting over who can play with the ball! I am at a loss for words over the whole global political scene! I don't think any of them are there out of loyalty to their country. It's just a well paid job with plenty of perks! But it's Friday, my cider is chilling in the fridge, and I'm stuck on a problem of my own! Know anything about connecting a 12v dc motor to a duel pot variable resistor so that the motor can run in forward or reverse? Part of the guidance system for my rooftop pea shooter! That should take your mind off politics for a few minutes!

In reply to #206

02/22/2008 2:18 PM

Gimme a bit to collect my thoughts and I'll see what i can come up with. Can you read Acad files?

In reply to #207

02/22/2008 2:27 PM

Cheers if you can!

I use Rhino! Think it accepts Acad files! If not then I can send it to the works machine!

In reply to #208

02/22/2008 2:51 PM

check your mail, Truman, I think the pic I sent you will fit the bill, just make sure that the pot has a high enough wattage to handle the current.

In reply to #209

02/22/2008 2:59 PM

The cats are worried now thanks to you! Right then, time to mess about with the automatic pellet loading solenoid.............

In reply to #205

02/22/2008 3:45 PM

Why not - personally, I already regret the current morons...

In reply to #214

02/22/2008 3:50 PM

Sadly, me too... but again, it was the lesser of two weevils.

Just think, we almost had Al Gore or John Kerry as president. Think upon that and be dismayed!

In reply to #205

02/22/2008 4:27 PM

C'mon, Rorschach, don't sugar-coat it!

Tell us how you REALLY feel!

Guru

In reply to #220

02/22/2008 4:32 PM

Astronut, if I were to really let loose what I think, I'd be banned, and the black helicopters would be swarming overhead! =D

In reply to #204

02/22/2008 3:43 PM

Same here - when I leave work, I shall stop off at Burke's Irish Pub for a quota of Smithwick's (from the eldest brewery in all of Eire, founded in 1710 by John Smithwicks on land owned by the Duke of Ormonde) to calm my fevered mind!

In reply to #203

02/22/2008 3:37 PM

"...drink heavily..."

May I suggest that Dogfish Head? No heavier beer available!

In reply to #212

02/22/2008 3:47 PM

I might as well stick to tequila given the circumstances....

In reply to #215

02/22/2008 4:16 PM

DNPMSL!!!

In reply to #217

02/22/2008 4:21 PM

Eman, Sorry, you lost me. maybe I haven't been drinking enough yet.....

In reply to #218

02/22/2008 4:27 PM

Obviously not!

DNPMSL = Damn Near P1553d My Self Laughing

and the picture is of a potted (so to speak) blue agave in bloom...agave - the root of all tequila.

In reply to #219

02/22/2008 4:30 PM

ok, I was wondering what kind of plant it was supposed to be, it looked like it MIGHT have been an agave, but my eyes aren't good enough to see small pictures like that.

now THIS is an agave!

When in Rome.....=D

In reply to #221

02/22/2008 4:39 PM

Yepper! Mine was just a baby...

In reply to #215

02/25/2008 8:05 AM

tequila

Wasn't that why the Mexican tied his wife to the railway track????

In reply to #246

02/25/2008 8:56 AM

"Wasn't that why the Mexican tied his wife to the railway track????"

No, that was PUNishment...

In reply to #248

02/25/2008 9:42 AM

Hey, I tell you what is nice...........tequila followed by double rum chasers.

I can't remember the last time I did that............and the last time I did that I did't remember very much at all.

In reply to #250

02/25/2008 10:20 AM

Stupid boy!!

In reply to #251

02/26/2008 7:59 AM

As I said Andy, I was younger when I used to do that sort of thing..........I now stick to beer and either a scotch or a rum every now and then.

Mind you it was only a couple of years ago that I gave up binge drinking and smoking.

In reply to #262

02/26/2008 8:08 AM

Good for you! I was only kidding anyway!!

In reply to #263

02/26/2008 8:27 AM

I have used it once, but I thought that I would use it again.

In reply to #250

02/25/2008 10:58 AM

"I can't remember the last time I did that"

Dude, I already KNEW this...

Sounds like a margarita daiquiri.

I'm partial to...

...which I'm told is also available now in OZ!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #162

02/21/2008 7:37 PM

Hey Kris! Sent you something on your other email

BB

Guru

In reply to #184

02/22/2008 2:15 AM

Cheers Bob, I'll go take a look.........

In reply to #133

02/20/2008 9:27 AM

Hey, you can always turn the acorns into ethanol.

Perhaps this should go to the green energy blog????...............maybe the squirrels as well.

In reply to #137

02/20/2008 1:33 PM

Acorn whiskey - hmmm...why not! Y'all keep yer green energy, I'm thinkin' of drinkin'!

In reply to #147

02/22/2008 3:52 AM

Could be worth a try.........when you have success let me know!!!

If I don't hear from you....................well, we can say good old EnviroMan.........at least he went to a good cause.

In reply to #147

02/22/2008 4:25 AM

Someone pinched the bottle !

In reply to #192

02/22/2008 11:24 AM

Here 'tis, I found it!

In reply to #196

02/22/2008 12:20 PM

Whilst looking for a suitable riposte, I found this curious site. Imagine the bar seen as you shout "I want a F** B***** !".

In reply to #199

02/22/2008 12:43 PM

Imagine THIS: "Barkeep, give me an..."

http://www.arrogantbastard.com/

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

AAndy (1); agua_doc (1); Andy Germany (21); Anonymous Poster (9); AstroNut (6); aurizon (1); BlueAussieBoy (6); Bob B. (2); case491 (6); charsley99 (1); DAG (1); dayhead (1); DCaD (1); Del the cat (10); Electroman (8); EnviroMan (84); HUX (1); JohnDG (15); KJHOH (2); Kris (12); ktel60 (2); leveles (2); logix101 (4); MOBI (44); Mr. Truman Brain (9); Munky (2); mutantone (1); PlbMak (1); Rick@cae (2); Ron (7); Rorschach (40); Shadetree (5); silvCrow (8); Sparkstation (4); StandardsGuy (3); Steve S. (2); TVP45 (2); twisted piston (2); U V (4); Vandarye (2)

Previous in Forum: motor bearings   Next in Forum: Salty Vs. Fresh Water

Advertisement