Previous in Forum: FORUM GRADING--ELIGIABILITY   Next in Forum: Unique valve systems, also Air-Fuses
Close
Close
Close
Page 2 of 3: « First < Prev 1 2 3 Next > Last »
Guru
Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 81

Good Answer Credits?

03/05/2008 3:23 AM

I recently had two points for a good answer, it then reverted back to one point, I did not think this could happen, not chasing glory just answers?

Regards JD.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662

Re: Good Answer Credits?

03/07/2008 5:10 PM

Just to add to the confusion....
I managed a record 'Off Topic' score of 11 on this thread (post#10), mention of the KrisDellTM Crumpvol Junior probably was a contributary factor ...
Ironically my post #11 got a 'good answer'.

I hope this clarifies the heights to which I aspire .

Del

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #77

03/07/2008 5:25 PM

I might have bumped your score as I attempted to exhaust my supply of Good Answers. Ultimately I exhausted my good answer supply and the web MASTER forbid anymore good answer ratings from my address. Must I now move to have another run a peppering the forum with good answer ratings?

Del you must continue marking your territory and spray every answer with a "good answer" rating until the web MASTER catches you and puts you back in the box. TK

In reply to #78

03/07/2008 5:38 PM

You little minx...you made me do it...I've been sent back to my box now .

In reply to #79

03/10/2008 11:09 AM

In a room full of rocking chairs, it's wise to protect the kitty from the possibility of an unfortunate occurrance. The box is safe. And later as always, we depend on you to venture forth and flick your ever sharp and witty claws at some foolishly impulsive thought.

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #78

03/07/2008 6:03 PM

Anyone putting in such an effort to help others in the Good Answer Credit thread deserves to be on topic. I bumped towards the on topic category.

Power-User

In reply to #80

03/10/2008 10:58 AM

Thank you for the correction. I sometimes lose focus during impassioned discussions, especially those regarding arbitrary rulings and injustices perpetrated by anonymous contributors.

The fact that jdretired had his "good points" reduced means someone can simply take away your vote. Our votes should be non-cancelable. Once cast they should remain as cast not subject to being erased by some vandal who abhors the democratic process.

It is one thing to tally pro and con votes but quite another to allow votes to be manipulated. Voting in these forums is a farce until the votes cast are inviolable.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: South-east corner of Spain 50 48 49.24N 2 28 27.70W
Good Answers: 31

03/07/2008 6:07 PM

How about casting out these demons! If you feel the urge to try and find out how many GA we can get on one post, may I suggest, as we have quite a few GA's between us, jtretired has a whopping 4 as of this post! I will try to add another if I can overcome the hypnotic pulsing coming from my monitor....We can start our own revoluti... . . . . . .

Guru

In reply to #81

03/07/2008 6:29 PM

ok

In reply to #81

03/07/2008 6:39 PM

TK has 6 on this one post!!! And a Rose !

Guru

03/07/2008 9:40 PM

I wish to thank every one for their concern at the loss of my credit, having now become aware of the KrisDel credit company, I have sort their advice, and they have provided me with a glue on machine, and I am reliable informed that if I use it in time, credits will be harder to remove, I have it for a trial period and I will keep you informed.

Regards JD.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Interested in everything- see my Profile please APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Hobbies - Musician - Autoharp and Harmonica Hobbies - Hunting - Member Hobbies - Fishing - Member

Location: Christchurch, (The Garden City), South Island, New Zealand
Good Answers: 229
In reply to #87

03/07/2008 10:20 PM

Hello jdretired

Thank you for the above advice, for which I give you a GA point.

I recently lost 1 GA point.

Evidently there has been some experimentation.

Kind Regards....

Guru

In reply to #88

03/07/2008 10:50 PM

Thank you SparkStation, I will keep you inform regarding the GO machine, it is said to increase one's IQ, nothings worked in the past so here hoping.

Regards JD.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Interested in everything- see my Profile please APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Hobbies - Musician - Autoharp and Harmonica Hobbies - Hunting - Member Hobbies - Fishing - Member

In reply to #89

03/08/2008 12:03 AM

Hello again jdretired

I have this excellent hat, of which you are welcome to take a clone, to assist the thinking department.

The Clone Thinking Cap Unit may be freely copied, without any fee or even a donation involved.

I have been using one for a number of years now.

The technology used in the Thinking Cap, is the inverse of the foil hat, as the Thinking Cap allows free absorption, retention and regurgitation of useful facts, on demand or otherwise, as needed.

I trust you feel assisted.

Kind Regards....

Guru

In reply to #90

03/08/2008 1:22 AM

Thank you Sparkstation for your offer, but part of the agreement with KrisDel is that they have exclusive rights to any remarks I make regarding my credits staying intact. Though I must admit that the offer of retention is attractive I must decline. Cant remember just now what else it was I mean to say?

Regards JD.

Guru

In reply to #92

03/08/2008 2:22 AM

Hello again (you did remember I had replied earlier, didn't you), jdretired

I earlier decided to give the Topic 5 Gold Stars , as it actually had none, for some reason.

Perhaps Members were too busy reading the Posts, to notice that the Topic had not the 5 Gold Stars it deserves.

Kind Regards....

Guru

In reply to #93

03/08/2008 2:55 AM

Not sure I remember, but I do remember enjoying yours and every one else's input, the remarks are worth five star statues.

Regards JD.

Power-User

In reply to #88

03/10/2008 11:14 AM

"I recently lost 1 GA point". Here's one from me Sparky. You deserve more but the web master will not allow me to bestow them.

Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 22

03/08/2008 3:31 PM

I am sorry for coming to this thread late, but JD, I could have spared you the trouble of dealing with KrisDel™. My company, Consolidated Gookumpucky, Inc. has just the product you need - the amazing SuperDuper GA Adhesive! One application and your GA points are safe! Points are not only locked into place, they are sealed against even the slightest leak! Not so much as a single electron will escape!

Our secret is that you do not apply it to your GA points, you use it on those who would threaten them. The evildoers will be rendered motionless, and anyone sympathetic to their craven cause will be scared motionless as well!

Because you are commited to KrisDel™ products, let me inform you that Consolidated Gookumpucky offers many fine adhesives and sealants you can use to repair items from the feline/rodent partnership.

Guru

In reply to #98

03/08/2008 7:39 PM

Hi 3Doug.

Thank you for the offer, I have had dealings KrisDel in the past and have found their company informative and enjoyable. If I use a stronger adhesive I might find my self glued to this Thread? not that I'm complaining. Should their product not live up to expectation I will be in contact with your company, in the mean time I shall continue to browse this forum and enjoy the company of the good and the GA spoilers. After all its the content that counts.

Regards JD.

Power-User

In reply to #99

03/10/2008 1:24 PM

Did you ever think your question about points would arouse so much comment?

I'm surprised and delighted by the creativity and humor of our fellow contributors and I hope our comments about leaving the votes as submitted will become the rule in these forums.

Often many of us involved in this highly complex technical world are often seen as humorless, serious drones similar to Dilbert. What they don't see is the technical mind absorbed in concentration, often intensely so because of the complexity or nuances of the problem.

There are times when my charming spouse has give up calling me and walks over to tap me on the head (gently of course LOL) to remind me what ever I am working on can wait, however dinner will not.

The ability to concentrate intensely seems to be the mark of the technical mind, much to the exasperation to those who are more "more in touch with the world" (her words, not mine) LOL.

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #109

03/10/2008 2:07 PM

There are times when my charming spouse has give up calling me and walks over to tap me on the head (gently of course LOL) to remind me what ever I am working on can wait, however dinner will not.

Wise woman, she is! Dinner is important, the brain needs fuel just as much as the muscles do.

In a related vein, when threads go off-topic, I have noticed they tend to gravitate towards drink and food quite often.

United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #110

03/10/2008 3:11 PM

"...they tend to gravitate towards drink and food quite often..."

Indeed they do. In fact one entire thread (Your dinner tonight etc.) has been created just for the topic. Hard to get OT there, yet some seem to have found a way... Just being supracreative, I suppose! And dinner IS extremely important, as you pointed out the brain requires fuel. Having said that, please enjoy...

Guru

In reply to #109

03/10/2008 3:56 PM

I've gone through and added a few good answer points to people and just a few moments ago a thought occurred to me.

On other threads where people are asking serious questions and they see that good answer score under peoples icons they might evaluate that person as a credible source for information when actually that person just might have been give those points in good jest rather than in showing a well thought out post with valuable information.

The good answer score might actually be used to carry more weight then the having a Guru title for having more then 500 posts.

Maybe we should be a little more cautious about awarding a good answer score.

That's just something that has crossed my mind and thought I should share.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #112

03/10/2008 4:15 PM

I gave you a GA for that! Those who are new to the site may be drawn to the GA custodians of the engineering world at large, but when somebody gives a good answer, everybody normally points the poster to that answer anyway! For me, it's just a bit of fun! Somebody with 40, 50, 1000 GA may have a wealth of knowledge on their specific subject, but give them a question on fixing a washing machine! If they reply, it could be a useful link or a jest! You press the buttons, you take your chances! This site is very addictive due to the amount of knowledge we have between us and the willingness to help complete strangers. Also the warm, bar like atmosphere! We welcome all with the same open arms!

Guru
United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #113

03/10/2008 4:21 PM

Indeed - a PUB for the mind! And that earned YOU a GA. I have gone through this thread and added a GA to every on-topic message (I think, might have missed 1 or 2). And all in the spirit of this is ABOUT good answers! I doubt there will be enough of those given frivolously in threads like this to ultimately make a difference, but I figure here, every answer is by definition GOOD! So, woo-hoo for all!!!

Guru

In reply to #113

03/10/2008 4:24 PM

And another thing while I'm at it! The Overlords are keepin a bit quiet especially the one they call 'The Editor' Why's my screen pulsing again! Nooooooooo

In reply to #113

03/10/2008 8:19 PM

the warm, bar like atmosphere! We welcome all with the same open arms!

You got that right! Even though I don't consume alcohol, I would glady share a drink with anyone here.

Power-User

In reply to #112

03/10/2008 4:28 PM

"Maybe we should be a little more cautious about awarding a good answer score."

You have a good point however judgement varies according to the level of experience in the subject matter.

Therefore points awarded by many unfamiliar with the subject matter are of no value in determining whether the accumulation of "good answers" is validation for evaluating a "person as a credible source".

Fundamentally I an opposed to the points system because it can readily become a popularity contest. The questioner should be able to select the best ,most informative answer from all the contributors without the artificial and perhaps misleading "good answers" ranking.

Personally I do not rely on a "good answers" talley as providing credibility to any contributor. Jorrie is as competent an engineer and scientist as any I have ever encountered in my 40 plus years of engineering. Jorrie is also published author. His latest book is a very comprehensive study of Einstein's Theory Of Relativity.

The last time I looked Jorrie had ZERO good answers yet has contributed far more than you and I together. Would you consider Jorrie to be an unreliable source of information because he has fewer "good answers" than you do?

Guru

In reply to #116

03/10/2008 4:34 PM

He should come visit here - I gar-on-tee he'd have a GA by the time he left!

And probably one of these, too...

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #116

03/11/2008 2:49 AM

"Comment rating is all about making the really good stuff easier to
find by calling attention to "Good Answers" and making "Off-Topic"
comments easier to skip.
"

We all have the chance to self-moderate how our comment is shown by the check-box available when posting. The site glossary explains that member titles are just a fun thing. Neither ratings or title infer any level of knowledge/expertise. If somebody relies just on input from one person on one internet source, they deserve any misadventure that befalls them. I have a very long list of CR4 contributers who's knowledge on various subjects I regard as A+++, but I would still view it in the same manner I would information from a book with no cover. This is the internet ! Caveat emptor.

I've never seen any signs of malicious down-rating of points, though a lot of 'good answer' posts leave me baffled as to why they are so rated. No matter, it's just something on the side of the plate. If people want to get/give the most from this site, it's up to them to explore it and get a feel for the place. I'm posting this off-topic because it amuses me.

BTW, I have a Nobel prize.

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #120

03/11/2008 3:46 AM

"I'm posting this off-topic because it amuses me ..."

Forget to check the box, then?

In reply to #121

03/11/2008 3:55 AM

I can't help it if people vote me back up !

In reply to #121

03/11/2008 7:18 AM

Nah, it amuses him even more to lie and cause confusion... Note the re-changed avatar again...

In reply to #124

03/11/2008 11:50 AM

I was waiting to see if John checked how many votes 'for' and 'against' the voting button revealed. I'm not sure what would happen if 5 people voted for me if I'd posted as 'off-topic' myself - my own vote ought to count as 1 if the system is 'fair'. It's confusing, but I like being able to pop up and down. What I mean is, I think it would take 5 people to make this post on-topic, and 7 to make it 'good'. The original question was about good answers, but I'm prattling on about off-topic, so I'm now totally confused !

In reply to #136

03/11/2008 12:37 PM

"...so I'm now totally confused..."

And we'd know the difference because...? Wot's the "now" for, eh?

In reply to #145

03/11/2008 1:56 PM

PMSL !

In reply to #120

03/11/2008 4:04 AM

What on Earth are you on about, Del?

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #123

03/11/2008 8:15 AM

What on Earth are you on about, Del?

I think that he referes to the bells (why not electronics?) on the cute little hat of that gentleman (Printed without permission of EnviroMan Inc.)

Bridge rule #1: Nobody is as good as he thinks about himself nor as dumb, as his partner thinks...
Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #127

03/11/2008 8:52 AM

No permission required, I copped it from somewhere on the web myself!

In reply to #123

03/11/2008 8:28 AM

Ooops wrong 2nd link ...it was that Scannivale (sic) thread ...they meant scannivalve..

Whatever...can I go home now?

In reply to #128

03/11/2008 8:53 AM

Yes - back to the cat house wi' ye!

In reply to #128

03/11/2008 11:53 AM

Bugger Scannivale (!), nobody asked how those coins appear to balance on a cotton thread. It wouldn't have been possible before 1991, but I'm not saying why.

In reply to #137

03/11/2008 11:58 AM

Bugger Scannivale (!) Insactly my sentiminents.

Hey Kris BTW ... 'how those coins appear to balance on a cotton thread'

Superglue? A big counterballance hanging down the back? The picture is upside down? Over unity KrisDelTM Balance-o-tron? Scannivale?

In reply to #139

03/11/2008 12:25 PM

Your clue is that pre 1991 'coppers' were copper. Since then they're mainly Steel.......

In reply to #137

03/11/2008 12:41 PM

This thread is cotton? I don't know as how I cotton to that 'notion'... Here I was thinking you'd levitated the coins, and now you admit it's some cheesy out-of-focus sleight of hand using thread on this thread. That's threadbare of you, sirrah!

In reply to #146

03/11/2008 2:04 PM

Nobody seems to have noticed I saved it as 'mag-penny' or something like that. For your endevours, I inflict upon you ...... the amazing....wait for it.....pennies ! There's a very cool site somewhere, where I nicked the pics from, but I lost track of it. It beggers belief, but I did actually loose a boomerang once ! It landed somewhere in a long grassed field.

In reply to #149

03/11/2008 5:25 PM

You know, it takes a special talent to lose a boomerang... (Charlie Drake - 1961)

(Oom-yacka-wurka, oom-yacka-wurka, oom-yacka-wurka)
[sound of a digeridoo]
In the bad backlands of Australia
Many years ago,
The aborigine tribes were meeting,
Having a big pow-wow.

(Oom-yacka-wurka, oom-yacka-wurka)

"We got a lot of trouble, Chief,
On account of your son Mack."
"My boy Mack? Why, what's wrong with him?"
MACK: My boomerang won't come back.
"Your boomerang won't come back?"
MACK:
My boomerang won't come back,
I've waved the thing all over the place,
Practised till I was black in the face,
I'm a big disgrace to the Aborigine race,
My boomerang won't come back.
MACK:
I can ride a kangaroo (yeah yeah)
Make kinkajou stew (yeah yeah)
But I'm a big disgrace to the Aborigine race,

They banished him from the tribe then
And sent him on his way,
He had a backless boomerang
So here he could not stay.

(Animal noises)
MACK:
[Spoken] This is nice, innit? Getting banished at my time of life. What a way to spend an
evening: sitting on a rock in the middle of the desert with me boomerang in me hand. I shall very
likely get bushwhacked.

(An animal roars; Mack shrieks back.)
MACK:
Get out of it! You nasty bushwhacking animal. Think I'll make a nice cup of tea. (Doing, doing,
doing...) Good gracious! There goes a kangaroo. I must have a practice with me boomerang: hit him right behind the left earhole. Now then, slowly back.

Gruff voice: If you throw that thing at me, I'll jump right on your head. (It chuckles and bounces away.)
MACK:
Innit marvellous? Got a land full of kangaroos and I had to pick that one.

For three long months he sat there
Or maybe it was four,
Then an old old man in a kangaroo skin
Came a-knocking at his door.

"Well, I'm the local witch doctor, son,
They call me George Alfred Black.
Now tell me, what's your trouble, boy?"
MACK: My boomerang won't come back.
"Your boomerang won't come back?"
MACK:
I've waved the thing all over the place,
Practised till I was black in the face,
I'm a big disgrace to the Aborigine race,

"Don't worry, boy, I know the trick,
And to you I'm gonna show it.
If you want your boomerang to come back,
Well first you've got to... throw it."
MACK:
Ooh, yes! Never thought of that. Daddy will be pleased. Must have a go, nyuh-huh! Excuse me.
Now then, slowly back... and throw.

(Boomerang whizzes away; Sounds of a plane approaching and then falling from the sky.)
MACK:
Ooh my God! I've hit the flying doctor. Eee-hee-hee! Can you do first aid?
Witch Doctor: Don't talk to me about first aid, boy, you owe me fourteen chickens, you know, when I learned you to throw the boomerang, you know, first things first.

MACK:
Yes, I know that, but I mean, I think on this occasion, you know, you could be a bit more
perspective...........

In reply to #155

03/12/2008 2:43 AM

Strewth, I hadn't heard of Charlie Drake for a long time. Like my boomerang, he won't be coming back.

In reply to #120

03/11/2008 7:34 AM

So now Kris can add a bell to his prize - schweet, Del, schweet! Very thoughtful...

I suppose your next thread would involve a ball of yarn...?

In reply to #125

03/11/2008 11:56 AM

Oh, for the lack of a K.

In reply to #138

03/11/2008 3:17 PM

??? As in alas and alac_? Well, if THAT'S all that's wanted, here y'go:

In reply to #150

03/12/2008 2:47 AM

I'll attatch them to the wool.

In reply to #157

03/12/2008 7:03 AM

K-HOMESPUN

HOMESPUN-K

Right then. Makes perfectly good sense. NOT! What are ye up ta ye nasty laddie? I knows ye too well by now ta not be suspencious! Summay or another ye got four candles in mind, I knows it...

In reply to #166

03/12/2008 3:26 PM

I thought Benny Hill was big in America....remember the sketch where the intro showed only part of the title 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf' ? It was 'accidentally' clipped on the RHS.

In reply to #178

03/12/2008 4:03 PM

Benny Hill was big anywhere - but popular in America. However, during the height of that popularity (late '80s thru early '90s) I was working split shifts with the majority of my hours on the swing and graveyard shifts (evenings 4 - midnight and nights midnight - 8 respectively in case Brits have diff terms), so I seldom saw it. And never the one you mentioned, so I have no idea what was/wasn't clipped. Please feel free to enlighten this wild colonial boy... [Also 'RHS'?]

In reply to #180

03/12/2008 4:15 PM

Arrrgggh.. Don't ask Kris stuff like that.....
And don't go down to the old haunted house......

Del

In reply to #181

03/12/2008 5:05 PM

Phooey! I ain't askeered of no...

In reply to #180

03/13/2008 2:45 AM

Wow, you guys got it late. Benny Hill had pretty much died a non-pc death by the 80's. It was a send up of the Burton/Taylor film of that name, but in the intro the last two words (aligned vertically) are clipped. RHS = Right Hand Side.

methinks the penny dropped !

In reply to #185

03/13/2008 9:13 AM

You and your magnetic money... OK, let's see if I grabbed your coattail on this - so it came out saying Who's Afraid of Virgin Wool??? He may not have been PC over there, but here the show was considered avant garde. Well, by some, anyway.

In reply to #186

03/13/2008 9:28 AM

Aw c'mon, you knew what I meant all along. Benny Hill was avante garde, and pretty damn funny in some ways. Trouble is, he didn't sense the change in mood with all the emerging pc garbage. Shame really that he got dropped like a hot potato. British TV has old shows (eg Black and White minstrels) that are a lot more squirm inducing. Fawlty Towers was hilarious, but some of the gags don't age that well. More than a few current comedy shows will look bad in hindsight. Most gags fall apart when analysed, but that's probably because humour evolves as a sort of social defence mechanism. Crikey, I'm going all philosophical. Best go slap myself with a wet fish!

In reply to #189

03/13/2008 10:39 AM

One I did manage to catch quite a few episodes of was Are You Being Served? Some of that reparteé was absolutely brilliant! It evolved into a different program with the same characters basically. They acquired (inherited, I think) a north country manor house. The caretaker was a man named Moulterd. Upon introduction to Captain Parrot, he said "There've been Moulterds on this estate for over 600 years." To which the straightfaced Captain replied "I wouldn't wonder." Priceless AND ageless!

In reply to #190

03/13/2008 12:36 PM

That show was something else. Brit sit-com has a long history of spin off shows (a bit like 'Joannie and Chachie' or whatever it was). Never in the history of TV were so many cat gags squeezed into one show. Are You Being Served jumped Fonzie's shark, and then some. Dad's Army was one of my all-time favourites, especially the Submariner episode that had the immortal exchange ; "Vatt ees your name ?" - "Don't tell him, Pike".

In reply to #191

03/13/2008 1:03 PM

Another favorite, Porridge with Ronnie Barker and his side kick Godber! Enjoy

In reply to #192

03/14/2008 1:58 AM

Rilk ! LMAO. That was sneaky introducing oranges via jaffa-cakes. Fletcher must have been one of the first to demonstrate planetary scale by means of oranges and stuff.

In reply to #191

03/14/2008 9:06 AM

Mrs. Slocomb's pussycat - a classical cat indeed! Though never seen...

Never saw Dad's Army...

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #196

03/14/2008 9:14 AM

... I don't recall her ever talking about her pussycat - tho' her pussy featured (unseen!) in just about every episode.

In reply to #197

03/14/2008 9:21 AM

Ummm...well...technically speaking, yes you're correct... My bad for improper pussy usage.

In reply to #197

03/14/2008 9:35 AM

I know of someone who refused to get into a posse from convictions reason...

Bridge rule #1: Nobody is as good as he thinks about himself nor as dumb, as his partner thinks...
Guru

In reply to #200

03/14/2008 9:45 AM

Oh, now THIS is going to degenerate rapidly! I think I'll exunt, stage right, immediately...

In reply to #196

03/14/2008 9:21 AM

You'll get a giggle if you look up Dads Army on You Tube or some place. It's very Brit, but in a rose-tinted specs kind of way. Full of sterotypes but mostly in a fun, self-depricating, sort of way. Here's the Pike thing.

In reply to #198

03/14/2008 9:42 AM

Kind of a Brit version of our Sgt. Bilko...only to my taste, funnier.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047763/

In reply to #201

03/14/2008 10:24 AM

Bilko is well know over here. I can't remember how the story goes, but with Top-Cat I'm sure one inspired the other ? For me, I liked Bilko's 'all-american' I'm going to find a way approach. Any situation get's viewed as a potential advantage, all up-beat and can-do. Brits do 'kitchen sink' drama, where we wallow in misery and supposedly realistic humour. Contrast the aspirational 'Dynasty' with 'Coronation Street'. It may seem off-topic (and it is, here), but it partly explains why we can't alter such things as gun-regs and get the same results.

In reply to #203

03/14/2008 10:58 AM

How can you say that with classics like (not Mr. Bean because that's just downright daft), Red Dwarf, HitchHikers Guide, Dad's Army, The Good Life, Are You Being Served?, Yes Minister, Only Fools and Horses, Red Dwarf, The Vicar of Dibley, Father Ted, Blackadder, One Foot in the Grave, Porridge (pinched the list off Wini!)

Admittedly, Coronation Street was a beast of a soap along with Eastenders and all that other brain grating rubbish they call light entertainment! So Who shot JR? Was it Henry, the mild mannered janitor....could be

In reply to #204

03/14/2008 12:44 PM

It simply wouldn't DO, y'know, to forget this classic...

http://kuacentral.com/

Meet me here for coffee, promptly at 11:23, and we'll have a look through Sheridan's photo albums...

As to who shot JR...who cares?!? So long as he stays dead...

In reply to #205

03/14/2008 1:03 PM

I'm sure she was an older version of Margo on 'The good life'! Really funny sitcom, much better than 'Keeping up appearances' for me!

In reply to #206

03/14/2008 1:15 PM

First I'd seen of The Good Life, Margo isn't quite Hyacinth, who is more narcissistic, though just as bossy. Since this thread is "Good Answers", I'm taking this post back OT because of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OOD7VwGmdk

In reply to #207

03/14/2008 8:28 PM

... Have only just realized - OT is a toggle operator (like negation or inversion). If you're ON it puts you OFF & vice versa.

I've been confused for months !

In reply to #208

03/14/2008 8:38 PM

Hello JohnDG

Now you have me puzzled.

What is "OT" ?

Does it refer to "Other Tab" in your Browser ? (I use Firefox)

Kind Regards....

In reply to #209

03/14/2008 9:02 PM

I generally used to think it meant "Off Topic" - as in "This post is marked OT because I checked the 'off-topic' box".

Now EnviroMan (in #208) has come along with "I'm taking this post back OT because ... " (meaning back On Topic).

In reply to #210

03/14/2008 9:43 PM

Hello JohnDG

Thank you for the explanation.

I was looking for a more complicated reason.

Now that you've explained, it is so obvious, and so you get a GA mark

Kind Regards....

In reply to #211

03/15/2008 10:35 AM

And each got a GA vote from me - mainly for putting up with me...but also, since I must spend some time at work on a Saturday, I'm feeling muy generoso!

In reply to #210

03/15/2008 10:32 AM

And since it is a toggle, I use it interchangeably - O = On or O = Off - also, this helps to confuse others...

In reply to #208

03/15/2008 10:30 AM

I know JUST what you mean...sometimes putting me ON puts me OFF too!

In reply to #120

03/11/2008 7:39 AM

Awww...what a cutie pie!

In reply to #126

03/11/2008 11:59 AM

Words fail me !

In reply to #140

03/11/2008 3:28 PM

WOW! How unusual is THAT?!? Take pictures...

In reply to #153

03/12/2008 2:52 AM

In reply to #158

03/12/2008 7:05 AM

ROF trying not to PMSL!!!!!

Leave it to you...

Power-User

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #120

03/11/2008 8:33 AM

I must say My one (1) GA is a prize possession that I treasure because it comes from such an august group. Being recognized by, what I have come to believe is possibly the elite of the brainiack world, is a treasure. It makes me feel that I to can contribute even though my processes are limited from a deficiency granted me by whomever it is that determined my mental endowment. A life long struggle to overcome these limitations has been rewarded. How wonderful for me! How uplifting! Thank you CR4 for making it all worthwhile. While I sit here in my cubicle trying to put together plans and procedures that will keep this chemical plant from launching itself into earth orbit, I know that there is a place way out in the real world where my efforts have been recognized as having value. I look for inspiration from the best and here it is. Nobel prize --- boggles the mind to think I may have had communication with someone of such esteem. We all judge ourselves against that which we know and observe as being the high standard and a more harsh judgment may not be found. Perhaps someday in the far distant future I will be inspired by the Force to provide another worthy gem of wisdom and receive my second GA. Glory!! We all seek it, we NEED it, it is our true motivation. We will neglect our family, our friends, even our God for it. "What Price Glory?" BTW, I am a Past Potentate!

In reply to #129

03/11/2008 12:22 PM

Hey, it looks like somebody raised you to 2 ! It wasn't me, even though I like your answer - it's good, but I'm not sure it meets the on-topic requirement. I hope my personal admiration of your post will suffice.Somewhere else I have a post with a single good vote (at present). There's nothing special about that in itself, but the post in question only contains 3 letters ! My earnest advice to seekers of more 'good answers' is to hover near the home page. When a new thread appears, pounce quickly and the glory is there for the taking. I took a copy of the 'Green Thumb of Glory', and now have it tattooed on my ****. The diamond 'Guru' I had studded across my forehead would have looked better if I'd used a mirror.

In reply to #141

03/11/2008 3:23 PM

That "'Green Thumb of Glory'... now... tattooed on..." (if tattooed where I think it is) is a pretty fancy form of the old fashioned:

In reply to #151

03/12/2008 3:02 AM

Goose has got some interesting usage, the ones half-way down this are good.

In reply to #159

03/12/2008 7:12 AM

You DO hang about in the oddest places, don't you? Seems appropriate though...

In reply to #159

03/12/2008 8:49 AM

"Goose bumps" is met in other languages but this medieval meaning was only in English (BTW, the medical term is piloerection - Wiki). Thank you for something new (to me).

Guru

In reply to #176

03/12/2008 3:31 PM

Love it ! That's going to get me into loads of trouble. A very prim woman nearly killed me once, with no more than a withering look. All I did was hesitate when she asked for the condiments.

Location: The cigarette-stained drunkard living in the cardboard box outside Marks & Sparks delivery entrance, Eastgate Shopping Centre, Basildon.
In reply to #98

03/12/2008 6:26 AM

Oi! Stop trying to muscle-in on a good racket. The double-sided sticky-tape that fell off the back of a lorry in Tilbury Market is going well. It seems to do for all my GA point customers, and goodness knows I need 'em! <Cough>.

In reply to #163

03/12/2008 7:41 PM

SP, are you sure that sticky tape isn't one of my products? We ship instantly all over the world.

In reply to #183

03/13/2008 9:23 AM

"...ship instantly all over..."

That instantaneous shipping would go a long way toward explaining how it fell off the back of that lorrie, wouldn't it? Unmatched terminal velocities...

In reply to #188

03/14/2008 1:30 AM

Well, tape is a new product line for us. Our most successful item in that line is the red tape we supply to government agencies.

In reply to #193

03/14/2008 7:46 AM

I wouldn't wonder.

Definitely a high-demand product.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

3Doug (8); Anonymous Poster (4); ca1ic0cat (1); charsley99 (1); Del the cat (15); dhayanandhan (1); djacob (1); EnviroMan (71); funtlrn (2); Horrible Old Bat (1); indel (9); Janissaries (4); JasBond (3); jdretired (11); JohnDG (21); Kris (29); ky (2); Mr. Truman Brain (10); Qqberci (1); Rick@cae (6); Sciesis2 (2); Sparkstation (13); StandardsGuy (1); Stinky Pete (5); taejonkwando (30); Transcendian (1)

Previous in Forum: FORUM GRADING--ELIGIABILITY   Next in Forum: Unique valve systems, also Air-Fuses

Advertisement