Previous in Forum: Drugs for Free?   Next in Forum: How to Follow Something in Digestion Tube
Close
Close
Close
33 comments

Memory ability

03/11/2008 10:31 AM

Hi everyone,

what can one do to improve on his memory ability? is there a kind of diet that one need to take or any thing? please help!

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 143

Re: Memory ability

03/11/2008 10:51 AM

There's a great new drug I found. It works great! It's called mopg.. no that's not right..mef..no, it'll come to me. I'll have to get back to you.

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #1

03/12/2008 5:47 PM

were you thinking MILFanphetamines?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662

03/11/2008 11:26 AM

Try playing serious duplicate bridge... or play golf and keep score without pencil and paper.

Del

Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

03/11/2008 12:22 PM

A good exercise is to remember your password!

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

03/11/2008 12:36 PM

Stop using a calculator.

United Kingdom - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: South-east corner of Spain 50 48 49.24N 2 28 27.70W
Good Answers: 31

03/11/2008 1:37 PM

I heard that white fish was good for the brain due to the amount of vitamin B6 or B12 or iron or some other element! ...Or was it rich in proteins! Think I'd better get some fish in because the sangria isn't working too well!

Guru
New Zealand - Member - Interested in everything- see my Profile please APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Hobbies - Musician - Autoharp and Harmonica Hobbies - Hunting - Member Hobbies - Fishing - Member

Location: Christchurch, (The Garden City), South Island, New Zealand
Good Answers: 229

03/11/2008 3:30 PM

Hello Vandi Zira Njelle

Avoid cooking in aluminium cookware, for all your life, because that use has been linked to Alzheimers, as Aluminium is a cell poison.

As the years go by, the unused or less-used brain synapses die off, as a general "good housekeeping measure", so it is important to keep those brain connections active.

Use it, or lose it.

To do that, it's best not to rely on one or more means of keeping the synapses busy.

Crosswords, puzzles, word games, sudoku, bridge, chess, draughts, rebus, trivial pursuits, logic puzzles all work in different areas of the brain, thus keep the different areas alive by doing a large variety of these sort of things.

CR4 Forum activity is useful in retaining memory, because of the large variety of subjects and potential answers.

The above and similar are able to be used if a person is physically unable to carry out much exercise.

Moderate exercise also assists in memory ability, by increasing blood flow to the brain, along with the rest of the body.

Diet is important, things to stay away from are Aspartame, artificial sweeteners, monosodium glutamate (MSG), artificial flavours and colourings.

Do not use products with sodium laurel sulphate (Shampoos, body washes etc), as these are absorbed through the skin, and because there are proven links with nerve damage for users of those products.

Likewise keep away from solvents, petrol/diesel, chlorinated hydrocarbons and the like many of which are absorbed readily via breathing or the skin, also giving nerve, brain, liver and kidney damage.

A good all-round diet is needed, cut down fats, but remember we do need fats to retain good health.

Keep well away from margarines, and butter "clones", as they have been implicated in major long-term health problems. Note that natural butter is quite OK, as the body was designed to cope with that.

Kind Regards....

Good Answers: 54
In reply to #6

03/12/2008 12:39 AM

Aluminium, Aspartame, artificial sweeteners, monosodium glutamate (MSG), artificial flavours and colourings, sodium laurel sulphate, solvents, petrol/diesel, chlorinated hydrocarbons, margarines, and butter "clones".

Wow, that's quite a list, do you have any credible evidence (ie web sites from mainstream institutions) for these items?

ffeJ

New Zealand - Member - Interested in everything- see my Profile please APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Hobbies - Musician - Autoharp and Harmonica Hobbies - Hunting - Member Hobbies - Fishing - Member

In reply to #10

03/12/2008 4:32 AM

Hello ffej

There is considerable evidence available, all you need to do is look for it.

I certainly don't intend to place hundreds of references and weblinks here, in a Post, because you and other gentle Readers would quickly become bored.

If you genuinely want to know, do the research yourself, weigh up the evidence, discard anecdotal "evidence", "journalistic puffery", and rely on verified studies plus reputable sources.

I certainly don't believe in "convenient 'factoids'", old wives tales, hearsay, and the like.

As an aside, when you research a subject which may be "controversial", never value the opinions or "factoids" as supplied by the very industry type or makers of the thing/article you are researching.

If you have been around for a while, you must by now, realise that many "University Studies", "Hospital Statistics", "Manufacturers Reports" and the like, are biased = not entirely true, thus the study etc is flawed.

The reason is simple: Big Business donates large amounts to Universities, Teaching Facilities, Hospitals, and the like, to ensure that the so-called "Research or Study" comes out favourable to them.

The many "Studies" and "Research" over 70 years, proved that "Tobacco is not bad for your Health", and if you purchase the book:The Smoke Ring: Tobacco, Money and Multinational Politics by Taylor, Peter - You can read plenty of evidence about the Tobacco Industry Conspiracy.

If you're interested, look here: https://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Ring-Tobacco-Multinational-Politics/dp/0722183488

That is referring to only a single Industry, most others are the same.

You should always remember that most Corporate Businesses are in business for Profits: Profits for the Shareholders, and not service or value for the Customers, thus on many occasions, the Truth suffers greatly, in the pursuit of Mammon.

Unfortunately, the situation has been that way, for thousands of years.

Kind Regards....

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #13

03/12/2008 10:26 AM

Sigh... Here we go with the conspiracy theories, again.

Sparky, your research will turn up exactly what you want it to. You obviously dismiss that which you choose not to believe. How do you know your research results are not based on media manipulation towards propaganda that is a spin of academic dishonesty equivocally masquerading a doctrine of mental reservation?

I belong to a management team that takes great pride in providing a high level of unique service and value to our customers. Oh, by the way, we are profitable, as well.

Could your memory ability be slightly biased?

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #16

03/12/2008 11:02 AM

There are two sides to this coin. There are companies that have integrety and are profitable. The tobacco industry certainly isn't one of them. Not all companies try to make a buck by foisting untested products on customers but there have been enough instances (e.g. asbestos, PCB oils, etc. etc.) that you can't blame people for being skeptical.

The other problem is that there is a whole lot of "junk science" touted as truth by both companies and conspiracy theorists. That leaves the layman confused and anxious, especially when the topic is health. Unless you have coursework in probablility and statistics and access to the study it is impossible to know what to accept as scientific fact. This moves the discussion into the realm of belief; there be conspiracy theories and snake oil salesmen in abundance.

Dead if you do and dead if you don't, eh?

Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #17

03/12/2008 3:33 PM

Talking about junk science, how about the regulations on arsenic in drinking water set at 10 ppb by the EPA, based on the science done by the WHO. Now, NIH scientists reviewed the same data used by the WHO and accurately concluded (in a well publicized report) that the statistics used by WHO were flawed and the accurate setpoint should have been 150 ppb (3X the prior level). Only Bangladesh has had the sense to maintain their standard at 50 ppb.

In reply to #22

03/12/2008 3:50 PM

Yeah, we heard the same thing at a tour of the local sewage treatment plant. I may not remember the numbers correctly, but apparently the standard right now is 2ppm residual chlorine at the discharge point into the lake. NY Department of Environmental Conservation is mandating that that the level be dropped to 0.5ppm. While he was explaining to the sewage plant manager the DEC guy was drinking a bottle of "purified" tap water (e.g. aquafina or some such). The plant manager looked at the DEC guy and said "you're crazy to mandate this so low, that bottle of water you are drinking probably has 2ppm residual chlorine." To which the DEC guy said, "that's true, but that's not the point."

Go figure....

In reply to #13

03/12/2008 11:36 AM

Hello Sparky, what a great wad of GOOD info you passed on about memory, i will definietly endorse each and every item you have included and before ending thispost will add another.

as you and regular readers of my posts are aware i have had numerous a.b.i./t.b.i.incidents few of which did NOT result in some form of loss or injury to the memory cells of the brain. because of those injuries and the fact that for most of my life i had to learn by trial and error what would or would not help to re-acquire some of the losses, prevent further loss, or negate the effect/affect of one or all of the three .

the worst effect i was not told about is illustrated by Kayyla T. Daniels in her texts on soy, the best is published by a small outfit in Newfoundland Canada.

what i have learned about the relationship between nutrition and mwemory is now available in book form instead of the multiple peiced together pages of research i had to do on my own, when and where i was able to do it. the best source of nutrient for memory i was informed by a forensic pharnacologist were available to me and other a.b.i. survivors( I HATE THAT TERM) was only through the two sources, because in the levels of purity i need it at biofiltering mechanisms for essential poly unsaturated fatty acids is essential.

There is a woman who took on that provinces government after relating the obesity in children and adults to diet, by experience extension of obesity are depression and memory loss issues. Samantha Gerbeau of Newfoundland Canada won her fight, proving to that provinces government was available to its seniors and children just off the provinces shores. Along with a doctor Cosmas? or Cosmo? Ho, researchers in both the U.S. and other countries, Ms. Gerbeau has repeatedly proven the greatest sources of nutrients for human brain and its related physiologic processes, ergo memory functioning, are only available in their purest forms from the previously refered to naturally occuring biofiltered products.

By the U.S. governments willful choice to enact legislation which bans physical access to the second compound it's legislators position appears to be one that without saying it is one [that says in effect: to hell with what scientists in CANADIAN and OTHER governments or NGO organizations have proven to be beneficial to the world, we are not going to let it be available in our country, and we will do our best to stop it being sold anywhere else:] . By that governments' taking this really idiotic stance this " country of leaders in the fight for improvements in human health" shows a backward state of thinking it's public is willing to be kept in as regards their own health and choices to improve it. international acceptance of a ancient "food for the brain and body".

If the questioner is interested in a truly natural means of enhancing memroy function that has proven will defintely lockstep to every one of your siggestions then i offer the following and my statements are proven accurate and respectful of the e.p.u.f.as' main sources in the text of the

ORSOUQ REPORT published in the early 1970's at the University of Aarhus in Denmark.

Those sources are only, human breast milk and the oil only availble from MATURE SEAL.

Sparky it has physically taken a lot out of me to pass this information on to the questioner, i know your fair mindeness and usual open minded reading will guide you to consider what i have posted edit it were you think it nescesasary for spelling etc then pass it on to the rest of the readers.

by the way give yourself a double thumbs up for the answer you posted. is it o.k. to print it off? how do i go about setting my system to do that from this CR4 posting.

again thanks

'da ber

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #18

03/13/2008 1:52 PM

links, a little more information and not posting as 'GUEST' might get you a little more credibility, or at least mitigate the incredulity of your conspiracy rant.

Remember your audience. We are not the idiot masses...we came down out of the trees (though, truthfully, I think some of my immediate family is starting to reconsider that move :P )

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #28

03/15/2008 3:54 PM

mr. tomkaighin,

conspiracy rant? please explain how the information which i freely offered to the enquirer seeking information and assistance in dealing with a memory issue may be considered in light of their sources may be considered anywhere near a rant. sir you owe the readers of this page a apology and yourself the duty to investigate the accuracy of the information i presented.

as for your statement that i was without intestinal fortitude to not enter the information with anything other than to sign in as guest, you have my permission to investigate the reason for my usual sign off as 'da ber which has been my nickname for the last 60 years did not occur.

'da ber not "guest"

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #30

03/20/2008 1:50 AM

60 years of signing in on anything on the 'net' shows a gross ignorance of the medium in which you are using. I'm a mere 43 years of age, yet I was in my late teens and early twenties, and interacting on the computer through University mainframes and BBS's long before the WWW came into being.

As to your permission to investigate 'Da ber'...wow, 5 letters and a space. I can give you the meaningless search. It's called easy google. Most 8 year-olds can do it, and the references will be as meaningless as your offer. You hide behind a username. I'm not worried that you would use one to log into a site, but that you try to hide behind it to validate your position. As I read through your offer, I find it shouts "Moron".

I'm assuming that you are 60'ish. I am also assuming that you are not a moron. But your responses are starting to change those views. I may have used some overstated observations, but they were not inaccurate. You made unsubstantiated claims and used them to try and further you views. All I asked was for you to provide links to the information so that I and fellow inquisitors could look at the substance of the things that you claimed as 'gospel' so that we may attempt to draw the same conclusions.

I would like to state that I am not trying, in any way,to demean you. I only wish to know why you made the statements and conclusions that you made. If you are any sort of engineer, you will appreciate that as a methodology. "If you can't prove it, it's not true, or it's religion" (sorry, not sure if that's a paraphrase or an original quote, but I'm betting I paraphrased someone great).

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #32

03/23/2008 4:09 AM

I do not respect people ...no people raw and fucking raw like my girlfriend get my respect..I have your respect.sorry I respect you...you know my pattern ....my brain....if one day you decide to teach some one about life.I hope it will be me.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

03/12/2008 7:47 AM

I had heard that the big issue with aluminium cookware is the combination of flourinated water. Apparently the flouride combines with the aluminium and forms a salt that can cross the brain blood barrier.

I hadn't heard about sodium laurel sulfate being bad for people. It's in just about every shampoo product I know of. I do know that the stuff repels sharks though....if you're in a rubber raft a can of shave cream will be useful.

I think the only real thing you can do with long life and a sound mind is thank you parents, avoid anything in excess (including worrying about your memory), keep trying to learn new things, get lots of exercise and plenty of sleep.

I've also found that there are a multitude of "studies" that say that this or that is bad for you and the world is going to end. Usually these are the products of "scientists" that are misusing statistics and then trumpeting the results so they can get their next grant to continue their research. Last I knew butter fat was supposed to be bad for you! Not that I stopped using it.

Oh, I avoid OTC drugs as much as is humanly possible. Turns out that sudafed and other decongestants have a "rebound" effect similar to the nasal sprays - stop using the product and you'll be congested for a week. Then it goes away! I've also been told by the pharmacist that using sudafed regularly can shift your seratonin levels in your brain and cause depression and mood swings. So now I only use saline nasal spray. Amazingly, it works.

You'll probably get a million different answers on this one. Don't get stressed over it. That won't help.

Good Answers: 45

03/11/2008 10:54 PM

Ginkgo Biloba is said to help with brain function. I think it increases blood flow to the brain. Also oily fish like mackerel and salmon.

I tried the Ginkgo Biloba and it kind of gave me a headache. I guess it was doing something but maybe I am not compatible with it.

In reply to #7

03/13/2008 1:58 PM

Yep, supposedly it's the Omega 3 fatty acids found in all fish but in much higher concentrations in fatty fish like mackerel and salmon (mmmmm salmon...must be close to lunch time)

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 3

03/11/2008 11:08 PM

Thinkfast by Futurebiotics.

Register to Reply
Associate

03/11/2008 11:11 PM

Do regular exercise in Jim at least 4 times a week, and one hour each time. I had excellent results after 6 months. Regular exercise boosts up blood flow with Oxygen to different parts of the body, including the brain which needs lots of Oxygen to function.

Good Luck

jf.benam

Register to Reply
Commentator

03/12/2008 1:57 AM

It's genetic.

In reply to #11

03/12/2008 3:37 AM

Classic

In reply to #11

03/12/2008 5:11 AM

Hello High Lander

Thank you for your lovely Graphic.

Kind Regards....

03/12/2008 11:57 AM

I swear by those whaddaya call 'ems ? Er... you know...

err. placebos, that's them... yup they are fantastic. The big orange ones are best.

Del

Power-User

Good Answers: 9

03/12/2008 1:46 PM

Many good posts here on this subject.

Personal research for over 60 years has proven to me that:(I am 82)

1. If the advertising is frequent/long/large.. the real benefit to the buyer/user is disproportionate to the length and frequency of the add. campaign.

2. Each living thing is a biological experiment by nature..you and I included.

3. No two are alike...even identical twins differ.

4.Thereby some things may work for me and not you.

5.Studies on others, by others only expose you to those recorded experiences included in the judgemental conclusion of the reporting person/entity.

6. I chose to research all I can to make my own informed comfortable conclusion on a product/procedure. (This is easy since creation of the web)

7. In trying something new...keep the "before" info separate from the "after" info.

8. I have found ways that my life is more comfortable...my memory improved... my physical abilities pushed back to "younger times/age" with some supplements. To maintane..improve cognitive ability..sing every song you can remember. from your childhood days to current. I do this while driving alone..in the shower..any time my mind is idle...try it...it helps memory.

9. Some of the affects of advanced years are beyond your/my control. Accept that.

10. Find the ones you can effect and affect them...or visa versa........

I have had active cancer for 30 plus years. I have worn out three pacemakers...(gettin a new one in two/three + months (as/when actually needed).

I arise at 4:20 AM each day...exercise...meet my three adult sons for breakfast at a local coffee shop...open my office at 6:30 AM till 3:00 PM. weekdays.

I read everything I can get my hands on.

I have found this to be true:

NO ONE KNOWS MY BODY LIKE I DO. I find supplements that definably work for me. I use them to achieve the benefits it produces for me. Something new comes along...research and substitute if better ..or reject if not.

I feel I have "bettered" the quality of my life substantially with supplements that fit. And I eat reasonably healthy meals.

The most important thing I have learned is to....

HAVE SOME FUN EVERY DAY.

MR. GUY

In reply to #20

03/12/2008 2:07 PM

Bravo...well said

Good Answers: 243

03/12/2008 4:37 PM

03/12/2008 5:45 PM

You should...

er....

um...

what were we talking about?

Badum Bum. Ok, now that the very bad joke is out of the way...

Eat less processed foods. Grab a carrot instead of a bag of chips, drink water instead of a Soft Drink, ensigms are good, overprocessing is bad (in moderation...damn I love a good steak, rare, bleeding and with lots of salt...but I digress).

Daily activity, tai chi, yoga, walking, punting small spoiled yappy dogs wearing clothing over a fence (or several fences as you progress in ability), doing a daily sudoku or crossword puzzle. Excercise your mind as well as your body. Fear nothing that won't kill you (politicians included).

Try something, fail, learn. If you can't remember whether or not you've tried it, try it again, it will be like the first time. Overcome a fear you've long held. Talk to an audience while wearing nothing but underwear (make sure you clear this with the authorities or you may have to overcome your fear of cellmates named Ben Dover).

There is no "pill" to stop aging or memory loss or death. These are part of the human condition. But if you live your life to the fullest, you win.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Location: The cigarette-stained drunkard living in the cardboard box outside Marks & Sparks delivery entrance, Eastgate Shopping Centre, Basildon.

03/13/2008 8:32 AM

Er, um, oh for goodness' sake - I've forgotten. <Wheeze>.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 3

03/19/2008 4:55 PM

Minimum 45 minutes arobic exercise for a minimum of 3 times a week.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

agua_doc (1); Anonymous Poster (3); ca1ic0cat (3); Del the cat (4); erssk (1); ffej (1); Hendrik (1); High Lander (1); jfbenam (1); Milo (1); Mr. Guy (1); Mr. Truman Brain (1); OpMan (1); ozzb (1); rcapper (1); Ron H (1); Sparkstation (3); Stinky Pete (1); tomkaighin (5); TVP45 (1)

Previous in Forum: Drugs for Free?   Next in Forum: How to Follow Something in Digestion Tube

Advertisement