Previous in Forum: Gold Versus Aluminum Surfaces in Telescopes   Next in Forum: Harmonics Drive Driving Airplane Propeller
Close
Close
Close
66 comments
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing -

Good Answers: 20

Have Aliens Hijacked Voyager 2 Spacecraft

05/14/2010 12:03 AM

IT left Earth 33 years ago, now it's claimed the Voyager 2 spacecraft may have been hijacked by aliens after sending back data messages NASA scientists can't decode.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/wacky/have-aliens-hijacked-voyager-2-spacecraft/story-e6frev20-1225865566982

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 144

Re: Have aliens hijacked Voyager 2 spacecraft

05/14/2010 11:21 AM

It seems unlikely. The formatting is messed up, apparently:

"According to an Associated Press report, engineers think that there's been a fault in the memory that stores the formatted data prior to transmission."

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2010/05/voyager-2-stops-making-sense.ars

I see the daily telegram article quotes an "alien expert"... gimmee a break.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409
In reply to #1

05/15/2010 6:49 AM

did you see the premere of the movie they just made of it. or am I ahead of myself.......slightly....oh wait, star trek did to a movie about that.....sfi-fi is becoming news at eleven.

seriously, didn't the first mars rover probe have the same issue at the beginning?

p911

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

In reply to #13

05/15/2010 8:08 AM

I don't know the details, but there have been issues up there before. Not surprisingly.

Yawn. The fact that we're roaming our robots over other planets is so, for granted. A glitch at that distance is apt to be mysterious, wait til they send a tech to round up the bits and pieces.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #16

05/15/2010 8:13 AM

A glitch at that distance is apt to be mysterious, wait til they send a tech to round up the bits and pieces.

I can suggest some canidates.

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194

05/14/2010 11:47 AM

Alien expert Hartwig Hausdorf said:"It seems almost as if someone had reprogrammed or hijacked the probe – thus perhaps we do not yet know the whole truth"

So just how does someone become an alien expert? (Rhetorical question)

Hobbies - Fishing -

In reply to #2

05/14/2010 11:53 AM

"Alien expert"- I thought that was pretty funny too. I think I'll change my user name.

The original story I found was Reuters and it was short of detail... Of course the headline was just an attention grabber. No mention of the code being random though.

In reply to #3

05/14/2010 1:01 PM

I thought it was interesting, though, they suggest a cosmic ray may have caused it. Interesting because, that's why space travel is not so practical for humans at this stage - them cosmic rays are wicked. You will forget where you were going and why.... Not too good if it can wreck computers as well.

We may have better shielding materials now, or in development, but it would be too bad to have to start that voyage over again...

Aside from that, it's pretty exciting that both Voyagers will be crossing the heliosphere, and I sure hope they get the science data straightened out again because that will really be interesting....

Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #4

05/15/2010 12:58 AM

There was a cosmic ray detector on a high peruvian mountain that recorded a track that went through 4 feet of alternating sheets of half inch steel and half inch lucite. The shielding problems are mindboggling.

Guru

In reply to #8

05/15/2010 4:34 AM

Indeed. But I expect that problem will be solved by metamaterials research within the decade - if there's interest in space travel at all.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - pipewelder

Good Answers: 33
In reply to #2

05/17/2010 3:34 PM

Alien expert Hartwig Hausdorf said:"It seems almost as if someone had reprogrammed or hijacked the probe

I think this Hartwig Hausdorf fellow must be a drama queen trying to make something out of nothing by stirring up the ole crap bucket. It is crafty how he covers his tail as he makes the general comments and uses seems almost before stating the other BS. It looks like they would try to keep the nuts out of the soup and screen out anyone that calls himself Alien Expert, Bigfootologist, Dr. of Sasquatch PHD, UFO God, or a really silly sounding name like "Hartwig". It seems almost that his momma played a nasty little prank when she named him that and she nearly almost had to think about it rhyming with earwig. I bet that even the alien that hijacked the probe is still laughing at Mr. Hartwig for calling himself an alien expert.

In reply to #39

05/17/2010 4:09 PM

the name I believe is german.....

but did you expert an alien expert will come up with anything different.

in a week or so they will find what the problem is by rebooting or something like that then this hartwig will say. "oh, ah yeah, that was my second choice"

United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 140
In reply to #2

05/19/2010 8:25 PM

Doesn't it start with an "alien resident card". Thought there are many in the US. It should not be difficult to become an "expert" among them?

In reply to #2

05/20/2010 9:33 AM

ZrGSplat: DsZtar, That earthling farm you bought for your biological replacment 100,000 zectons ago is pretty cool. Its is so halarious when you sent them a glitch how they go of the deep end. I'm going to get one for my biological replacment to play with also.

Anonymous Poster

05/14/2010 5:33 PM

Why don't they post it to the Net, and let the world have a crack at it?

Perhaps it is a warning, or an informational message, like

"No trespassing beyond this point?"

or "Warning: Heliosphere Confinement Boundary Ahead"

Or simply an alien joke, like :"Kilroy was here"

Or how about:"Next rest stop 4 light years"

HTRN

Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing -

In reply to #5

05/14/2010 10:59 PM

LOL

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 74

05/15/2010 12:37 AM

O jsbr mp [tp;r, trsfomh oy. Sy s;.Lu

In reply to #7

05/15/2010 8:19 AM

"O jsbr mp [tp;r, trsfomh oy. Sy s;.Lu" Heck, I recognize that right away! It's beaver! They're transmitting back to the station

now that it's big enough to be seen from space! Or do you really think it's a coincidence, they've been building this ever since the Voyagers left earth...

Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204
In reply to #18

05/15/2010 9:20 PM

well I'm a Beaver Expert, an I never heard one say that before!

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 129
In reply to #25

05/16/2010 12:15 AM

I's just the accent

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780
In reply to #26

05/16/2010 11:29 PM

Your tagline made me curious about his obscurity. Interesting story behind that.

http://photo.net/photography-education-forum/005fZU

In reply to #27

05/17/2010 1:25 AM

Yep; it is. Interesting link. Good that someone is exploring the price innovation paid for Adams and co's grubby tactics to protect celebrity. Not new though. Thomas v Nickola?

In reply to #25

05/17/2010 1:49 PM

Is that an "Alien beaver expert?" haha!

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

In reply to #38

05/17/2010 3:35 PM

.... well they are all sort of alien.. that is perhaps why they are so intriguing.

I live in a country that celebrates the Beaver as the national mascot

and what is more fun than trapping wild beaver?

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #40

05/17/2010 7:02 PM

Oooh, Mr. Chris, I do believe I'm blushing .

Guru

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #7

05/15/2010 9:27 AM

OMG, it's a countdown.

However in some alien cultures the same words for 8, 7, 6, 5.....Also translates to "Cook Book For Humans."

Guru
Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 213

05/15/2010 2:35 AM

The Voyager was launched in 1977. This is the year that Texas Instruments introduced their TI-58 calculator, 5 years after the introduction of the Atari computer, 5 years after Kernigan and Ritchie gave us c. This spacecraft has traveled through regions of space about which we knew absolutely nothing for 33 years. They are communicating over an unprecedented distance. There is a glitch? This should not be a surprise. The surprise is that those who put this bird up there were able to put together such a phenomenal system in those days... If only my current computer will last 1/10th as long...

Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing -

In reply to #9

05/15/2010 2:42 AM

They don't build 'em like they used to.

In reply to #9

05/15/2010 6:55 AM

I writin lik ths cuz I hav limtd storage an most importnt bcuz......

Good Answers: 109

05/15/2010 2:53 AM

Hi,

there is no shielding problem, particles with energies up to 1024 eV are not very abundant there but much lower energies will damage any "radiation hardened" electronics.

We don't really know what conditions exist in the shock-wave between solar- and galactic-plasma. Out there is now this spacecraft.

Think at the stabilising, antenna pointing to Earth to transmit some useful amount of the nuclear generated electrical energy that had a power of 80W at the start.

This stabilising is done with the help of dynamically tuned gyros - rotating at 100 rev/s since now 33 years! This is roughly 107 rotations per day, 1011 per 33 years!

Incredibly good engineering and scientific work!

RHABE

Guru

In reply to #11

05/15/2010 6:58 AM

This stabilising is done with the help of dynamically tuned gyros - rotating at 100 rev/s since now 33 years! This is roughly 107 rotations per day, 1011 per 33 years!

wow, do the have the life expectancy of that....

Guru

In reply to #15

05/15/2010 10:02 AM

Hi,

we cannot calculate any MTBF as data are missing.

But: the bearing material is twice vacuum remelted to remove many soft inclusions (cannot remove the hard and refractive carbides), the raceways are inspected if wetting behaviour persists after a first test run, the bearings are made to ABEC 9 or 11 specs, the balls grade 3 or 5 (grade 3 is very likely not to survive the start as grade 3), the retainer is linen-phenolic and defined porosity and oil impregnated, there exists a oil recirculating lubrication system that pumps near 10µg/day and a tight encapsulation that maintains a low pressure of between 10 to 100 mbar, the oil fitted to this pressure region to have ultra-low outgassing. I do know nothing about temperature stabilisation, there must be a thermal management not only at the gyro level (heaters around and at top of caps, may be radiation driven) but also at the system level.

The balls of the ball-bearings run in the raceways with a complete separation to the raceways by a lubricant film. This lubricant film is continuously replaced by the lubrication system. All this in a 3" diameter and nearly the same length gyro. I assume (better have a look into some reports), that there are 3 gyros onboard.

So: what part may fail first? lubricant, evaporates and reacts with metallic surfaces? Fatigue of ball or raceway material? Oil-filters clogged by wear particles? Residual vibration destroying electrical wiring?

I have no idea about relative importance.

The Hubble gyros (also mechanical but single axis floating ones) failed so often because these were supported in an "inert" fluid that was not really inert and allowed the voltages at the wire terminals corrode the wires as soon as the fluids conductivity had risen to a certain level.

RHABE

Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Guru

In reply to #20

05/15/2010 10:32 AM

wow, thats feedback, thanks.

there really is no empirical information to go by because its still setting the standards.

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #20

05/15/2010 12:02 PM

How much vibration would the Voyager be exposed too?

How much evaporation could take place when the Voyager is floating in a freezing environment?

After floating in space for 33 years, it could be that the information is having to travel so far the signal is being corrupted by interferance. It could also be the Voyager had a collision with something that was enough to damage the equipment.

We are also dealing with 1977 technology.

In reply to #22

05/15/2010 1:06 PM

could be?

Guru

In reply to #22

05/15/2010 2:44 PM

Hi,

"How much vibration would the Voyager be exposed to?"

Nearly nothing after entering its final course. The only rotating parts are the gyro-rotors with shaft, ball-bearings and motors. Some very low torques from torquers and unfiltered torquer harmonics.

Heavy vibration (10 to 35g) but very likely filtered by a nearly optimum flexible (and accurate in alignment) mounting with enough damping.

Evaporation: the internal of the gyro has to be maintained at ? degrees, very likely either 62 or 27 °C, this is not a problem as there is ample heat by the nuclear battery.

There is slow evaporation (although the oil is outgassed and it is an extremely low outgassing type of oil, I have no specific information, but at that time there was a switch over from natural super-refined oils (often Kendall KG60 was used) to synthetic hydrocarbon lubricants, later sometimes replaced by perfluoroesters with better temperature and outgassing behaviour but worse lubricating behaviour.

The most critical aspect is prevention of condensation or heavy absorption of oil on cold surfaces. Keep every surface warm and the ball-bearings inevitably a little bit warmer and you will get evaporation from the bearings and maybe condensation on the too cool other surfaces. So the bearings have to be shielded so that there is very little gas-transport (including evaporated oil) through the bearings by the centrifugal pumping of the rotating parts.

Collision: a real one would destroy the spacecraft, more likely a fast particle (ion) or a micro-particle (some µm size that may damage one or a few cells in the memory).

RHABE

Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

In reply to #11

05/17/2010 7:15 AM

When I was in college, at one point I was going to change my major to physics.

And at that time over 25 years ago, on some technical journals they were advancing on more accurate gyro's due to the perceive need of accuracy due to the long distant travel in space.

One of the concepts in R&D that was being tested out was the use of light as a gyro with I believe the use of some type of emitter to keep the signal strong. They use this because of the properties light being constant. and basically count the amplitude of the wave (high points) as it traveled through space.

Have you ever heard of that?

p911

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #29

05/17/2010 7:55 AM

That'll be a ring laser gyro.

In reply to #30

05/17/2010 8:07 AM

thanks

Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

In reply to #29

05/17/2010 7:56 AM

Back in the late '80's/early '90's, I was involved with fiber optic gyroscopes- very accurate, no moving parts, very, very expensive and difficult to make such that they were gyroscopes rather than heat sensors. I have recently seen some companies currently offering commercial versions of these "FOGS" as they were called. The basic concept was to split a beam of light and pass each half of the light along a "light path"- the optical fiber- and then recombining the light. By detecting changes in the output of the recombined light, one could get a measure of the shift in phase between the two half-beams, which was proportional to the rotation experienced by the coil of optical fiber during the transit time. The phenomenon was known as a "Sagnac" interferometer, and was quite similar to the famous Michaelson-Morley experiments. Most of the development work in the days I was involved with this came from DoD and NASA.

At the time we were involved, many commercial airliners were using what was called a laser gyroscope, which used pretty much the same principle, but used a crystaline block and mirrors for the light path. The major manufacturers of laser gyros in the US were Litton and Honeywell, bach in those days. Since the light path was much shorter than was possible with the fiber optic version, accuracy was somewhat less (I once helped build a fiber gyroscope with a light path of over 1 km). Also, in order to have the gyroscope operating at it's most sensitive (and prevent "lock-in"), it was necessary to "dither" it to induce a known artificial phase shift. For the laser gyro, this required an external, mechanical system. For the fiber gyro, dithering was accomplished electronically.

These developments were far too late to benefit the Voyager, although the first Mars rover carried a fiber gyro, and I worked on systems targeted for Cassini and a couple of other space programs of later years.

Guru

In reply to #31

05/17/2010 8:06 AM

that was it, that is how I remember not that you you shook the cobwebs out. That was one of the reason I was going to switch to physics. I thought that was quite interesting.

thanks for the info.

p911

In reply to #31

05/17/2010 12:44 PM

siriusly... is there anything you haven't been involved in? lol

Guru

In reply to #36

05/17/2010 12:50 PM

I heard......that he was going to work on this one sunday to help finish up this one big project for this guy. But God finished it and didn't need him, and God declared that it should be a day of rest.

In reply to #37

05/17/2010 4:41 PM
Guru

In reply to #43

05/17/2010 5:08 PM

you never compete when the big guys playin

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

In reply to #43

05/17/2010 5:26 PM

If he gets 50 points a pop how come he ends up with 1065. Maybe lost some points for nearly right answers?

In reply to #48

05/17/2010 5:43 PM

would you argue agianst good?

or

are you calling god a cheater?

I have $10.00 for the high and almighty to win

In reply to #49

05/17/2010 6:14 PM

A flea, who thinks he owns the dog he is occupying, is a foolish flea.

The human who thinks he is god does not own the universe.

No cheating involved, just being realistic. Its a dogs life and letting others scratch seldom hits the spot. Who the bloody hell started this?

Pj> O tr,nr mpret mpe. Lu/

You would not believe how on topic this is, gotta go, Ky.

In reply to #48

05/17/2010 9:58 PM

God chooses his own reward! God is really a numerologist, and has encoded all the right answers in the Bible.

reminds me of that old joke... (from the movie Short Circuit)

There's a priest, a minister, and a rabbi. They're out playing golf. They're deciding how much to give to charity. The priest says "We'll draw a circle on the ground, throw the money in the air, and whatever lands inside the circle, we'll give to charity." The minister says "No, we'll draw a circle on the ground, throw the money in the air, and whatever lands outside of the circle, that's what we'll give to charity." The rabbi says "No no no. We'll throw the money way up in the air, and whatever God wants, he keeps!"

Guru

In reply to #52

05/17/2010 10:14 PM

Did you just hear that door slam? I think admin just left. Nice one Chris, very nice

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104
In reply to #52

05/17/2010 11:18 PM

Naughty, naughty, mustn't do,

Someone may be watching you!

In reply to #54

05/18/2010 11:21 AM
Guru

In reply to #52

05/18/2010 6:20 AM

oh great Chris is here....not will have to listen to his movie outtakes and previews.

I remember that line

In reply to #55

05/18/2010 11:22 AM

who, me?

its like this one time, at band camp...

Guru

In reply to #29

05/17/2010 4:37 PM

Hi,

both, the FOG (fiber optic gyro) and RLG (ring laser gyro) were developed for high accuracy navigation up to 0.01 (maybe classified to 0.001) degree per hour random walk drift. The 0.01°/h results in an accuracy of 1 nautical mile per hour circular error probability (if the accelerometers have sufficient accuracy too).

With this accuracy the pilots will find the landing site after a 5 to 10 hours flight.

But there may be bad weather conditions so turning rates of the plane of up to 100°/s in civil or 400°/s in military planes are required as maximum allowed rate of turn or range of the instrument.

400°/s divided by 0.01°/h is (400°/s*3600s/h)/(0.01°/h) = 150*106.

There is no other instrument with this dynamic range. That is why sensitive gyros are very expensive and if you do the instrument in a counting of interference fringes mode (RLG) then it is much easier to get this resolution compared to the phase measurement techniques necessary in the FOG SAGNAC interferometer.

The most important advantage of FOG and RLG over DTG (dry tuned gyro) is in their much shorter startup time. If preheated (no problem) then a start within some milliseconds is possible, the DTG is requiring 10 to 100s up to some minutes to speed up. And speed up will generate some heat as the motor is busy to bring the inertia of the rotor to speed. (One term in the error model).

The dither mechanism of the RLG is not a very big problem, but to match the metallic dither hinge to the Zerodur RLG-block (please without any significant stress), to mount the piezo actuators to the dither hinge so that these are not failing by fatigue (piezos are no good at all in material data), to overcome the zero-shift characteristics of typical dither-hinges, to get the 3 or 4 mirrors at the corners ultra-polished and coated to have minimum 99.999999% reflectivity, to have the HeNe-filling-gas ultra-pure over 5 years minimum, to get the access ports for anode and cathode of the laser sealed with UHV (ultra-high-vacuum) specs to the block, to have the high voltage system for the laser accurate and reliable, to introduce an additional piezo to bend very slightly the Zerodur-block in order to have a plane of laser rays and not some skewed arrangement and very many error introducing problems more.

Similar errors are existing in the FOG too, for example stress in the coiled fiber, necessity of polarisation preserving, coupling of signals to maintain an accurate interferometer ...

The above-mentioned dynamic range is not at all sufficient for space-probes as the mission-time is much larger. So these probes need additional star-trackers (may be one tracking the sun one or 2 two different stars), maybe *2 for redundancy.

Any of the 3 different gyro types mentioned above are not sufficient for nuclear submarine accuracy, these use (nobody told me about, maybe outdated since many years) electrostatically suspended hollow beryllium spheres that are freely spinning inside high vacuum enclosures, do not need a continuous drive as nearly no drag and measure the relative orientation of the enclosure to the spinning sphere by a zigzag equator band around the sphere. These are used in platform type inertial navigation where the gyros are oriented towards north, east and up by outside gimbal rings.

A newer type of development that is said to have yielded accurate results now is the HRG (hemispherical resonator gyro), in development since 20 years. A wineglass-shaped glass object is excited to an elliptical mode of oscillation. The ellipse changes its orientation with the rotation of the wine-glass around its shaft. Sensed by capacitive pickoffs.

Any gyro is sensing only the angular rate(s) of turn. In any navigation is needed 3 axis angular (the gyros) and three axis linear (the accelerometers) measurement. And a computer and and and.

RHABE

Guru

In reply to #42

05/17/2010 4:48 PM

and how exactly did the aliens hijack the gyro then?

Guru

In reply to #44

05/17/2010 5:06 PM

alien hackers

In reply to #42

05/17/2010 5:23 PM

There is currently a space probe designed to confirm some of the predictions about gravity and time made by Einstein- I don't remember the name of it, but the gyros it uses required significantly more accuracy than conventional gyros, and they use very, very accurate spheres to achieve this level of accuracy. Similar to what you describe for submarine gyros. There are some newer technologies, apparently, that I believe are used in cell phones and such- we used to call these "Gyro on a Chip". I've been ou of the business too long, though- haven't kept up with the tecnology...

Back in the days, I was producing quadrature wound coils on a machine I had developed that were outperforming most other attempts, and working with NTIS, we were using some of the coils I had built for round-robin test method evaluation. I also was associated with a Japanese company that was the only manufacturer in the world of an optical fusion splicer that could align the polarization axes of two optical fibers before splicing. We were working on a machine to produce fiber beam splitters for ploarization-maintaining fiber using the same technology as the fiber splicer, and were getting promising results...

Anonymous Poster

05/17/2010 10:32 AM

Didn't they make a Star Trek movie about V'ger coming back to earth to find his creator? Perhaps fiction took a different turn when the Aliens took over v'ger and made it into a Trojan Horse.

Guru

In reply to #34

05/17/2010 12:24 PM

#13....gets how to follow when number of posts increase and tends to swing on tangent topics

Good Answers: 137

Re: Have Aliens Hijacked Voyager 2 Spacecraft

05/19/2010 6:21 AM

I used to work on weather systems that included that patch of water between Ft. Lauderdale, Bermuda and the Bahamas. It's well known that strange things happen out there. Some think it is due to aliens and UFO's. Others think that it is due to sudden weather changes and large numbers of drunk/unqualified tourists taking boats out there even though they are not knowledgable/responsible/sober enough to be doing it.

Any time our equipment malfunctioned I would blame it on the aliens in the Bermuda triangle. I wonder if the guys messing with the spacecraft are the same bunch of aliens?

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

05/20/2010 7:56 AM

"The best scientific minds have so far not been able to decipher the strange information – is it a secret message?"

I think that the caps lock got stuck on. Happens on CR4 posts all the time.

Besides, if it was really a secret, why would they (whoever they really are) be transmitting it to the whole universe?

Guru

In reply to #60

05/20/2010 8:37 AM

"caps lock"

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 83

05/20/2010 5:14 PM

Dropping by to deliver this:

NASA Identifies Glitch Fouling Voyager 2 Communications (Hint: It Wasn't Aliens)

On closer inspection, it seems that the Romulans haven't hijacked Voyager 2 after all. NASA has identified the problem that caused the space probe -- which is currently coasting somewhere 8 to 10 billion miles from Earth -- to start returning distorted patterns of data last month. Evidently a single memory bit in the memory of an onboard computer flipped from a zero to a one, a problem the space agency intends to fix tomorrow.

Guru

In reply to #63

05/20/2010 5:21 PM

In reply to #63

05/20/2010 5:21 PM

well sure.. we all know that aliens are very subtle... enough to flip a bit!

I have some poltergiests poltergeists(see, they even made me misspell this word) at home here that are constantly doing it to me..

the other day, one of them turned off my alarm clock before it went off.. so I slept in. little buggers.

Guru

In reply to #63

05/20/2010 5:25 PM

That's what I said all along. Beaver is what Chris called it.

Yruz;; goc oy.Lu

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

34point5 (3); Anonymous Hero (1); Anonymous Poster (4); artsmith (6); BruceFlorida (1); chrisg288 (9); cwarner7_11 (3); drbobwoolery (1); dvmdsc (1); Janissaries (2); JohnDG (1); ky (5); lighthasmass (3); Mikerho (1); phoenix911 (17); pipewelder (1); RHABE (4); StandardsGuy (1); sue (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Gold Versus Aluminum Surfaces in Telescopes   Next in Forum: Harmonics Drive Driving Airplane Propeller

Advertisement