Previous in Forum: Hoax Information Links   Next in Forum: Snow in the South, Rain in the North
Close
Close
Close
19 comments
Associate

Good Answers: 3

Has Anyone Removed Snow with a Wovel?

12/27/2010 3:32 PM

Has anyone removed snow with a Wovel? Does it work?

The combination of a wheel and snow shovel seems like a clever combination. After digging out of 20 inches of snow this morning with a shovel, I have been looking for a new solution.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - BSME Clarkson University 1992 Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - BSME Clarkson University 1992 Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - DataRock 1.0

Re: Has Anyone Removed Snow with a Wovel?

12/27/2010 4:23 PM

No Tigger, but reminds me of how I used to remove grass during sunnier days from our lawn in the Albany (NY) area, circa 1973:

Always thought Dad was just being cheap, making me work so hard to cut the grass, but turns out he was an environmentalist who was ahead of his time.

I like the human-powered Wovel! Looks like a nice workout for yours truly, but easier on the back than a traditional shovel. Thanks for sharing this.

- Larry

<-- Photo from Wikipedia entry for "Lawnmower".

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918
In reply to #1

12/27/2010 4:54 PM

They are called reel mowers and I thought I would be doing a good thing if I bought one for a small lawn I had in Florida. Turns out to be useless down here and threw a party the day my 5.5 HP Toro arrived from the movers.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 411
In reply to #1

12/27/2010 5:24 PM

I used to chase my twin sister with that when I was about 8 years old.

Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

12/27/2010 4:51 PM

That will not remove 20" of snow.

Now this will remove snow:

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #2

12/27/2010 5:58 PM

Just keep an eye open for that old drunk guy under the snow (could be me ).

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Not so new Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member, old hobby.

Good Answers: 22
In reply to #7

12/28/2010 5:02 AM

Under the snow, probably is you. On the rocks, probably is me! Happy new year to you. (I'm startin' to celebrate now)

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781

12/27/2010 5:06 PM

"Wovel"--does that rhyme with "novel" or "shovel"? Or, since the concept includes a wheel, why not "wheevel" rhymes with "weevil"?

--Evel Knievel

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 411

12/27/2010 5:22 PM

Local townships used to have something similar that was drawn by horses called a slush bucket.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

12/27/2010 8:28 PM

I shoveled a fair amount of snow when I was young, though never with one of these wovels. It might work for a thin layer of 'dry' snow, but for deep wet snow it looks pretty useless to me, IMHO. With only 1 wheel, it would be pretty tippy once you try to lift the snow, thus requiring lots of work with your arms to keep it balanced until you are ready to dump it. That assumes the wheel doesn't just slide all over the place and assumes you could even lift the snow with the fulcrum point being midway on the handle. I think if it worked well, word-of-mouth would have already reached you and you'd already know it.

Canada - Member - Specialized in power electronics

Good Answers: 80
In reply to #8

12/27/2010 10:44 PM

You are correct. My new neighbor has one. He tried it in the first snow and haven't since.

I used a large bucket scraper that slides on the snow. Never lift it. Just push and lift the handle to dump while stopping. Works perfectly even with half a meter of wet snow. Since I designed my driveway to push flat or downhill, I can clear many tons of the stuff in one hour.

Just don't tell my wife that it is that easy...

12/28/2010 1:35 AM

When I was a kid I sometimes used something a little similar. It had two wheels and more of a "mini snow plow" (about 24" wide) blade rather than the "clean out the barn" shovel shown above. For dry powder about 1.5" deep or less it would work pretty well since I could go fast enough to have the slanted blade throw the snow off the side of the sidewalk. With wet snow it was a bit of a pain to get rid of the snow and therefore more than about .25" to .5" would be more trouble than it was worth.

Since conditions often did not match the descriptions given above I normally didn't bother to use the thing. A good snow shovel was normally a better tool. Your picture looks like it would be a little easier to get rid of snow therefore it might be a little more useful. But I still bet that most of the time you would prefer a normal, good quality snow shovel.

Thus, if you get it for free and you have lots of storage space then it is probably worth having around. If you have to pay for it then there is a fair chance that you will not feel that your money was well spent. If you only have storage space for one shovel then this is not the tool for you.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Associate
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 1

12/28/2010 9:45 AM

Yes, my daughter-in-law works at a firm that makes them. She got one for my two boys and I. They work as long as the snow can be moved but like shovels won't work after snow becomes hardened. Not as tiring to use as shovel.

CR4 Admin - email address removed

From the Site FAQ: Do not post phone numbers or email addresses. The CR4 Admin will delete all phone numbers posted in threads or comments, and we strongly urge you not to put up email addresses.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

12/28/2010 10:18 AM

I think I will get one to try.

At least it will be useful for light snow falls.

Or, if I keep removing snow periodically with the wovel as the snow comes down.

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Large hole formally occupied by furry woodland creature.
Good Answers: 97

12/28/2010 10:53 AM

As a kid, I got the bright idea to remove the sickle bar from my Dad's walk-behind Gravely and attach a plywood "plow" to the sickle bar mounts.

It was below zero when I fired up the old Wisconsin engine. I let it warm up for a minute and engaged the drive. The pulley shaft on the transmission snapped and the pulley rolled to a stop in the snow on the drive way.

I cleaned the drive way and walks with an old fashion shovel and waited for my Dad to get home...

Good Answers: 69

12/28/2010 11:18 AM

20 inches of snow? No; if you're under 40, use a regular shovel, but if you're over 40 then use a regular shovel and afterwards ask your wife all kinds of treats, hot cocoa, scented ointments and not to have sex that night .

Yahlasit

Good Answers: 14

12/28/2010 11:36 AM

Jet powered leaf blower?

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 177

12/28/2010 11:47 AM

A Wovel eh? I do see how it could possibly remove the 24" of snow that we recieved here from our recent blizzard.....slip, slide and away! Since the electric start and pull rope died on my Craftsman snowblower yesterday I've been forced to shovel the White Chi*t from the long long long driveway and sidewalks. Ackkkk! My aching back. Now it's off to the repair shop! Double Ackkkk! Now off to "Plan B": down to the machine shop in my garage I go and finally finish welding-up the hydraulically-operated DIY front end loader attachment that'll be installed onto the front of my spare garden tractor. And yes, the loader bucket features a kwik-disconnect feature in case I want to swap-out the loader to a fully accuted plow blade 42-inches wide . Come on snow, I'll be ready for you! hehehehe My suggestion is for the OP to toss the Wovel into the scrap heep for recycling...... ps: I just lost my spell checking and emotioncon features. How do I get them back?!!! HELP!!!!!

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 1

12/29/2010 9:31 AM

WWW.theSnowcaster.com

It works.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #18

12/29/2010 9:45 AM

Looks like a good product too - for light snowfalls.

The two wheels low to the ground should provide a more stable, less tippy design.

The ability to flip the unit over at the end of a run is a nice feature too.

I guess the only drawback I see is the lack of any leverage to throw the snow, but who wants to throw the snow manually anyways because that's when you kill your back.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

129CBRider (1); Anonymous Hero (2); Anonymous Poster (2); april05 (1); CaptMoosie (1); JohnDG (1); Leonf (1); marcot (1); phoenix911 (2); Tigger (1); Tornado (1); Unredundant (1); Usbport (1); W9GFX (2); Yahlasit (1)

Previous in Forum: Hoax Information Links   Next in Forum: Snow in the South, Rain in the North

Advertisement