Previous in Forum: Need Help for PQI Files   Next in Forum: No Audio ...
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Associate

Creating Software/Program

05/14/2011 3:38 PM

My business is the construction industry and I am looking to develop software or create a program or even an app that will allow me to do my business more efficiently. Id like to be able to render a 3d model of my product while showing materials needed, also to be able to input obstructions requiring a rerouting of the product to solve problem along with the materials needed. If this sounds like something you can help me with Id appreciate any advice and assistance.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

Re: Creating Sorftware/Program

05/14/2011 4:22 PM

Google and download OpenGL. It may just do the trick.

Getting your product into it will take some time and effort

In reply to #1

05/14/2011 4:34 PM

hmm ok I looked at it briefly but ran away after seeing "coding" Is this a skill I will need to possess while using OpenGL?

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1

05/14/2011 4:37 PM

Microsorft already sells it.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 410

05/14/2011 10:28 PM

other than some CAD software, one has to realize you get out of what you put into it.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204

05/14/2011 10:52 PM

I think you are looking for something like Chief Architect, which is a 3d modelling and drafting program, with animated walkthrough capabilities.

If you are looking for a cheaper version of this, the Better Homes and Gardens Home Designer is really a stripped-down version of Chief Architect.

Other than that, you are speaking of BIM's I think. such as the AutoDesk line of products.

3d construction software

chris

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282
In reply to #5

05/16/2011 11:02 AM

JCOLL, I am going to throw chrisg288 a GA vote.

Should you need some reinforcement that he is giving you a 'Good Answer', click his name in the top left-hand corner of his comment, and then click on his homepage link.

If I had a question like yours, whatever chrisg288 said would get some very serious consideration from me.

Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

In reply to #7

05/16/2011 6:32 PM

thanks!~

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #7

05/16/2011 8:46 PM

Thank you both much appreciated. I will have to research some of those acronyms BIMs? Idk but thank you for getting me on the right path, Im all about this site its very useful! thanks again! Ill be back with questions Im sure

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #9

05/16/2011 8:50 PM

Let me ask you both this..what is this guy down below D entreprenuir talking about. Is he serious? 6 guys to do what and how long? What is the actual scope of work im looking at here. Im motivated to do it, just want to know what Im in for.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

05/16/2011 9:01 PM

yes he is very serious... and he is basically answering what your appears to be asking. (to create a program) I suspected that you might be interested in existing systems, and answered that way.

chris

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #10

05/16/2011 9:32 PM

Yes, people new to -- brace yourself -- software requirements definition are often surprised at the complexity thereunto. And usually a little more than a little ticked off as well.

If you can possibly shoe-horn it into your operation, go with one of Chris's suggestions. We call it canned software. (Yo, Chris, I'm giving you a GA. Cool, eh?)

Here's why.

Chief Architect is, what, $2.5K? EACH? If they plan to sell 5,000 of them (good luck) over the life of the product, that's 12.5 million. (If they market through distributors, there went the gross margin!) If they break even halfway through the product life(good luck with that, too), that's 6.25 million. That 6.25 million didn't go for lights, fancy digs, or a Lexus for everyone. It went toward a bunch of pizza-eating dudes who listen to strange music. And put in insane hours for an insanely long time.

They would -- or you would, if you had a ton of cash -- spend an inordinate amount of time in two places: the graphics (yes, Open GL might work) and database management. "Bill of Materials" is a code word for "Inventory." You're a builder. You know very well how many unique items are in each house.

I wish you well. I really do. Custom programming is NOT a cost-effective way to get to where I understand you want to go.

In reply to #12

05/17/2011 8:37 AM

thank you very much. You guys are so helpful and insightful, I had no idea id be getting so many nuggets of knowledge. My lack of knowlege is definately prohibiting and frustrating, sorry if I offended you. In regard to my objective, the amount of materials is fairly limited, id say a handful of parts, with no more than ~10 factors including pitch of roof, distance needed to travel for apparatus, height btwn the the start point to end point, and a few others. The objects, would be trusses and hvac all pretty standard sizes and not very unique. This may be more helpful, the materials I use already have a full cad blue print. In my mind the calculations would be the most difficult to account for, but I know my trade not software programming. This just came to mind, once the program is created how difficult would it be to apply it as a plug in for other software programs or even apps?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

05/17/2011 7:52 PM

check this out.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780
In reply to #14

05/17/2011 9:56 PM

Ah, if only I had a measly $1672....

In reply to #15

05/17/2011 10:21 PM

Yea me too tornado. Thanks for the link however, i dont know how I'd be able to benefit from it as my trade is in tubular daylighting devices (not really mainstream) which is why Id like to create the software to begin with. I believe I had stated prior that I am involved in the installation process and would like to make a quick reference app that calculates angles and distances based on inputs and materials. From there Id like to expand into the software with a 3d rendering of the tube and its (minimal) components fully assembled, with the ability to recalculate for an obstruction. Or would it be better to start with the software then the app? Would the software be universal as a plug in?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

05/17/2011 10:36 PM

JCOLL,

I didnt see the price tag before... and the spreadsheets seemed functional.. I dunno about applicable to your specifics..

and now I see the vba is password protected.. so less valuable to you than I thought.

oops.

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 5

05/14/2011 11:17 PM

Qualifications to answer: (1) I have an app in the store, one in testing, and three somewhere between daydreams and project charter with WBS. (2) I've written a couple bills of materials programs and several job costing systems, two of them for custom builders for whom 5,000 sq. ft was a small house. (3) I began programming before the Beatles played Shea Stadium. (The way I tell it, I still have the chops!)

Answer 1: For. get. it. What you want is magnificent, and probably the right tool for the job, but it necessitates a stupendous amount of work. Units of measurement will be man years.

Answer 2: If you don't like Answer 1, sign me up. I could show you fantastic progress for week after week after week. We'd love it. We'd drool over it. But it would never, ever get done. Now, a team of six ....

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); chrisg288 (5); d_entrepreneur (2); Doorman (1); Hendrik (1); JCOLL (5); phoenix911 (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Need Help for PQI Files   Next in Forum: No Audio ...

Advertisement