Previous in Forum: Stirling Engine Technology   Next in Forum: Universe Expansion Accelerating in Real Time?
Close
Close
Close
Page 1 of 2: « First 1 2 Next > Last »
Guru

Good Answers: 206

Plagiarism

06/04/2011 9:05 AM

Have you ever seen someone post a question and you have the quick the answer? Instead of going in to a long tutorial you just get right to the heart of the matter and tell them what they need to know. After a while you go back and someone else has posted a response as well. That response is is lengthy, filled with fluff. In their last paragraph or two is the answer you posted an hour or two before. I think these are the same people that used to copy off my homework in school!

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

Re: Plagiarism

06/04/2011 9:22 AM

Nah, I don't think it's plagiarism. They just don't bother reading the posts before answering..........................I've been guilty of it myself.

I'm gonna be pi$$ed if I see this same answer show up later in the thread.

In reply to #1

06/04/2011 9:42 AM

It's no big deal at all but repackaging someone else's work and calling it your own is weak. You can see it here time to time where a thread is going in a certain direction and a new thought enters the conversation. Right after that you see a turn in the responses. It just makes me laugh.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

06/04/2011 10:16 AM

Funny stuff goes on here all the time.............it's part of the draw.

Just below the engineering surface, there's always at least two soap operas playing out somewhere on here. The shenanigans here are part of what makes it, (what I think), the coolest, most entertaining engineering site on the planet.

I can't explain how it works, but somehow the BS that flows here integrates, (almost), seamlessly with the free exchange of knowledge.......................................pretty cool.

In reply to #3

06/04/2011 10:33 AM

I agree it's cool. And I openly admit every now and then I see something that changes a long held belief on my part about how something works. I have a thirst for knowledge that will never be quenched and this place feeds right in to that. NOW STOP STEALING MY IDEAS!! jk

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #2

06/06/2011 1:12 PM

Hmm, from the sound of it, you gave a brief answer without an explanation, and someone else gave an explanation that lead to a similar answer. So my question as a thought experiment, if i succintly answered any thing on this site with a simple yes, would any other response that resulted in a yes or somethiong similar in context be plagiarism? Are the reasons behind the yes answer important? What if I answered yes and gave a very brief response, but the underlying reasons for my answer were actually incorrect, and then someone else responded correctly but arrived at the same resulting answer of yes? Did you convey any useful information in answering correctly but arriving at the answer incorrectly.

Though frequently, there are so many layers of responses buried, that I suspect it is just someone else responding who did not see your response as indicated above (or started to respond before you answered and they get their answer up last as it takes time to produce the answer and a more complete explanation), but still valid to consider the value of the explanation to arrive at an answer.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #1

06/04/2011 10:53 AM

In my case, I try to read what I see in the thread before posting (except for old, long threads). The problem is, when I open CR4, I typically go over the front page and then the "my discussions" page and open a new tab with each thread that interests me.

Then I start working my way through the tabs. Sometimes I leave the computer and come back much later (even the next morning) and resume reviewing threads, often without, unfortunately, refreshing the threads to see any answers added since I first opened the threads.

I'm trying to get better about that if I have a long interruption, but if I'm pretty much at the computer for a long time, I don't bother--the thread that I'm looking at could be 2, 4, or even more hours old when I review it and potentially respond.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 410
In reply to #1

06/04/2011 12:01 PM

here, here.... I have done the same

Good Answers: 88

06/04/2011 11:53 AM

Everyone is entitled to his/her other people's opinion. S.M.

Good Answers: 1662

06/04/2011 11:54 AM

It would probably really fry you if someone got a GA for repeating your answer then, wouldn't it?

There were a couple of other points I wanted to make, but someone else has already mentioned them.

Imitation is a form of flattery, you know.

CR4 is kinda like living in the USA. We all bitch about it at times, but where else would you rather be?

Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #7

06/04/2011 12:05 PM

Imitation is a form of flattery, you know.

Ha, heres a good example. #9

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #11

06/04/2011 12:12 PM

With 2 minutes posting difference I call it a tie. S.M.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 48
In reply to #7

06/04/2011 4:11 PM

You are spot on, Lyn, except that you can replace USA with Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, (but not Canada, of course!), all pretty much the same.

I was once congratulated by a member on having taken the time to read a thread thoroughly before posting myself. This came from someone who shortly beforehand had earned a GA in another thread by repeating what I had already said a few posts earlier. Did it really fry me? To be honest, for a short time it did, but not enough to raise an indignant or petulant response. Then you realize it's not that important, so let's just get on with it.

We Brits are always bitching about the weather here. The few that are really bothered by the weather tend to emigrate. The rest of us will bitch, and then just get on with it, silently grateful that we don't live in France, Germany, Belgium or the USA!

Sometimes you just have to accept the nature of the way things are ... (if you can't change things) ... or else leave. If there are instances of plagiarism on CR4, it is inevitable when some threads get so long and convoluted, and whilst you could argue that the carelessness is unacceptable, at least it is not malicious or personally vindictive.

So .... stiff upper lip, and all that! Let's just get on with it.

In reply to #23

06/08/2011 9:38 AM

Re: I was once congratulated by a member on having taken the time to read a thread thoroughly before posting myself. This came from someone who shortly beforehand had earned a GA in another thread by repeating what I had already said a few posts earlier.

There is a chance that was me, and if so, I wish to apologize.

At least once (and maybe a few times, but not very many, iirc), I have thanked someone for taking the time to read the previous posts in a thread.

With respect to the second part, sometimes I duplicate something because I've missed some posts (because of my habit of opening all the threads I'm interested in in separate tabs before working my way through them).

Other times, I do think I can amplify or clarify what somebody else said. It's not necessarily that what they said was wrong in any (major) sense. It is sometimes just that I would not have said it that way, or would have emphasized a different point, or similar. I sometimes respond and reiterate because I think that I can make the (already correct) reply easier to understand. I'm probably quite often wrong. ;-)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #83

06/08/2011 10:00 AM

No, I don't think it was you.

You make a very good point though. I know for a fact I'm not always very good at explaining things (trying to get the right balance between brevity and clarity). And a poor explanation can sometimes confuse things. If someone comes in with a clearer, better explanation than mine, which happens from time to time, I would normally welcome it (and wish that I'd been able to say it that way).

In reply to #85

06/08/2011 10:10 AM

Thanks! (to both paragraphs)

Commentator

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #7

06/06/2011 9:45 PM

AUSTRALIA

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 74
In reply to #62

06/06/2011 9:50 PM

Yeah, but which part of this girted continent?

In reply to #63

06/06/2011 10:13 PM

take your pick. Its all good. (are we going off topic - who cares we are in AUTRALIA)

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

In reply to #65

06/06/2011 10:28 PM

Well, if you like splitting hairs, we are. I am plagiarizing a scene in two dimensions and it will never do the real thing justice.

(are we going off topic - who cares we are in AU(S)TRALIA)

Yep, in typo heaven

India - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 163

06/04/2011 11:59 AM

i think the percentage of original thinkers is small, if not negligible. For every guy who has an original thought, there are literally millions to say 'me too'. So, why are we surprised at plagiarism?

i am not. But i am livid when i see this. However, i say philosophically.."Imitation is the best form of flattery!" and go on with my life.

A nagging uneasy feeling remains. While i was thinking that facts will speak for themselves, and i will get credit for my work, my manager had a way to make those facts dance to his tune, and got big promotions and raises, leaving me with a big thump on the back !

Familar ?

Guru

06/04/2011 12:01 PM

I admit I can get long winded. I had a post that I went into detail, after which another registered member rimmed me out and went as far as to count the words or letters and stated I said nothing.

Then went ahead and reiterated the same thing. I thank him and sarcastically told him he was a good researcher. He than countered, thats what he does. idiot oops, did I say that out loud.

as far is basically reposting, Theres a phrase for that, it goes something like: "Imitation is the best form of flattery."

In reply to #9

06/04/2011 12:08 PM

Dam you! Quit stealing my good stuff! You'd better not get a GA for that.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

06/04/2011 12:11 PM

I posted it off topic......I need 7 GA's....then I'll think is really funny.

You like that, I have more.......

Try this:

My girlfriend thinks I stalking her...............well, shes not really my girlfriend yet.

Good Answers: 284
In reply to #13

06/05/2011 2:58 AM

'....well she's not my girlfriend yet...'

:-) I like that. I intend to practice what I have learned in this thread by plagerizing it repeatedly. It fits right in with one of my favorite off hand remarks....

I miss my ex......but my aim is improving.

:-)

Good Answers: 145
In reply to #9

06/07/2011 7:46 PM

hmm,, "after which another registered member rimmed me out"

I think you meant "after which another registered member 'reamed' me out",

"rimmed" is something else entirely different, and according to those that know, not entirely unpleasant.......

Good Answers: 129
In reply to #69

06/07/2011 8:12 PM

Hahahaaa - said in post number? I wonder if that will change the votes (one way or another)

In reply to #69

06/07/2011 8:41 PM

rimmed,,, I'm not that kind a guy. lmao may not be appropriate....so....

In reply to #71

06/07/2011 8:44 PM

WOW, this thread has degraded!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #72

06/07/2011 8:46 PM

degraded by a typo

no, if anything this topic wore out a long time ago.

In reply to #73

06/07/2011 8:49 PM

I think I said that already...are you stealing my replies???????

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #74

06/07/2011 8:52 PM

some things just don't now how to die........

In reply to #75

06/07/2011 8:58 PM

After 75 replies...death is eminent

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204
In reply to #76

06/07/2011 11:18 PM

eminent...

if we didn't have typos on cr4, nothing would get ritten.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780
In reply to #78

06/08/2011 1:34 AM

Yeah--eminent, imminent, immanent, emanate--just pick whichever you want!

Ed. C.

In reply to #78

06/08/2011 8:08 AM

Sorry, my spell checker quits after the second glass of Cabernet.

Guru

Good Answers: 116
In reply to #80

06/08/2011 9:21 AM

where's my glass??

Good Answers: 110
In reply to #9

06/11/2011 11:39 AM

another registered member rimmed me out

"Rimmed" and "reamed" have the same number of letters. In this context, each can be used to refer to an action on the same area of the body. Some think of the first as pleasurable, but most think of the second as being a bit painful.

I strenuously object to the usage "reamed me a new one" (when I see it on an engineering site) because a reamer should not be used to make a new hole, but rather to enlarge an existing hole. "Drilled me a new one, and then reamed it to size" is better usage. (On a non-engineering site "Reamed me a new one" gets the idea across adequately. But on an engineering site we like to be able to ask: "How much did he leave for reaming? Was the reamer adjustable? Was it turned by hand or by machine?" Engineers want to know.)

India - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 163
In reply to #113

06/11/2011 12:11 PM

You bet ! A reamer makes a H8 hole, starting from a H11 drilled hole of an appropriately smaller size.

"Reamed me a new one".... hmmm seem to have heard something somewhere....

The lady, somewhat late, was streaking at 75 mph. Round the bend she went, and ... you guessed it A smirking speed cop. "So what's the rush?"

"Late for work"

" What do you do?"

"A rectum dilator"

"WHAT ? How does that work for God's sake?"

"Oh, i first put in one finger, then two, so on till the whole hand, then i use some implements, until it is about six feet wide"

"What would one do with a 6' a$$hole ?"

"Oh, put him with a speed gun next to a blind curve..what else?"

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104
In reply to #114

06/11/2011 2:13 PM

GA for the humor.

In reply to #113

06/11/2011 10:04 PM

thanks for sharing what seemingly your vast experience of being on both the receiving and delivering end of this action.

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 53

06/04/2011 12:13 PM

It's not stealing if you are sharing. "Imitation is the best form of flattery."

hehehe

Guru

In reply to #15

06/04/2011 12:33 PM

It's not stealing if you are sharing. "Imitation is the best form of flattery."

finally a good answer, best answer I seen so far.

In reply to #16

06/04/2011 12:40 PM

See!!!!!!!!!!!! That's just what I'm talking about. I say it first and some slacker gets the GA!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

06/04/2011 12:55 PM

Lyn, what are you talking about?

Have to admit, it reenforced a very good point on the topic.

Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Time to take control United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 87
In reply to #15

06/07/2011 10:41 PM

I always heard it as "Imitation is the highest form of flattery" - Charles Caleb Colton

In reply to #77

06/08/2011 8:15 AM

yah, what he said

06/04/2011 12:50 PM

In a sense, a lot of the stuff on here is plagiarism, since most of the technical answers could be googled................but what fun would that be.

I know I've got more than one GA for googling the answer when the OP either didn't feel like it or didn't know how. Not lyn though.

In reply to #18

06/04/2011 12:55 PM

I excell at two things. Googling and pissin' people off. Not necessarily in that order.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #20

06/04/2011 12:57 PM

Every man has a cause...........and you have two.

In reply to #21

06/04/2011 5:39 PM

Everything has an ending only a sausage has two.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #26

06/04/2011 11:12 PM

Doughnuts excepted.

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #20

06/06/2011 9:56 PM

at least its not pissing on

Good Answers: 88

06/04/2011 12:58 PM

And to land ya all safely, all but Charles Caleb Colton's ghost, in a way have 'stolen' this saying. S.M.

Good Answers: 114

06/04/2011 4:32 PM

This was to be my question, how did you get to post it first?

In reply to #24

06/04/2011 4:51 PM

Spying, cheating, etc...

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 3)
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

06/04/2011 11:23 PM

I would try plagariz...playgazi...copying other peoples stuff but half the time I don't understand the question anyway, so why bother?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 251

06/04/2011 11:51 PM

The kernel, the soul-- let us go further and say the substance, the bulk, the actual and valuable material of all human utterances--is plagiarism....
...a grown person's memory-tablet is as a palimpsest, with hardly a bare space upon which to engrave a phrase.

- Letter to Helen Keller, St. Patrick's Day, 1903 -

-Mark Twain

Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104

06/04/2011 11:57 PM

"Have you ever seen someone post a question and you have the quick the answer?"

Yes, Instead of going in to a long tutorial I just get right to the heart of the matter and tell them what they need to know. After a while I go back and someone else has posted a response as well. That response is is lengthy, filled with fluff. In their last paragraph or two is the answer I posted an hour or two before. I think these are the same people that used to copy off my homework in school!

United Kingdom - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 36
In reply to #30

06/06/2011 3:32 AM

Nice one!

Guru

Good Answers: 251

06/05/2011 12:01 AM

I don't rent head space to those who try to annoy me.

I refuse to give them control over my adrenal gland and blood pressure.

The Chinese interpret an insult like so:

If I offer you a present and you refuse it, to whom does it belong?

Relax, live longer and be prosperous, and don't sweat the small stuff.

Good Answers: 116

06/05/2011 4:51 AM

I think the word you need is copy-cat.. very school-yard (ish).. but fits perfectly... but until then....

What is plagiarism?

Plagiarism, believe it or not, comes from a Latin verb that means, "to kidnap." If you plagiarize you're kidnapping and stealing others' hard work and intellectual property. It is academic and public dishonesty. You wouldn't want someone stealing your hard work, intentionally or even unintentionally, would you? Of course not.

Still, writers sometimes purposely steal others' work, and other times writers unintentionally plagiarize because they get confused, have poor notes, are lazy or intellectually unprepared, run out of time, or simply don't know how to correctly reference sources. There's a difference between plagiarism, of course, and misuse of sources. (See Defining and Avoiding Plagiarism: The WPA Statement on Best Practices. Reprinted by permission of the Council of Writing Program Administrators.) Because there is so much information accessible through the Internet, the temptation to plagiarize increases and what needs referencing becomes increasingly unclear. The Internet tends to make who owns what a little unclear. Just ask those in the music business. In any case, plagiarism is unacceptable. You don't want people stealing your work, after all. It is outrageous, actually. We're here to better ourselves and to better our communities. You can't do that by stealing.

To avoid plagiarism:

1. Do not use someone's words without referencing the source or including the information in quotation marks or a block quote; and

2. Do not use someone's ideas without referencing the source.

and I'm NOT telling you all where I copied this from!

Popular Science - Biology - life lover Hobbies - Musician - music lover Safety - Hazmat - better safe than sorry United Arab Emirates - Member - desert trek Technical Fields - Procurement - procurement

Good Answers: 58

06/05/2011 4:52 AM

all men are born originals, and die as copies.

In reply to #34

06/05/2011 9:07 AM

That is a very true statement.

Here's to plagiarism.

Now if I could just figure out who I'm trying to emulate.

Good Answers: 3

06/05/2011 9:34 AM

Ahem....I have this homework, er, project, see.....and, well..................

Not only in the answers~

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 19

06/05/2011 10:06 AM

.........or you could ask. What do you know?

The appropriate answer being "Sh*ts good for the garden, go bury yourself"

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 70

06/05/2011 8:25 PM

"To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research"

Good Answers: 42
In reply to #38

06/06/2011 10:15 AM

Very realistic note. G.A

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282
In reply to #38

06/06/2011 12:00 PM

"To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research"

That's funny stuff! Where did you hear it?

Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

06/05/2011 8:40 PM

I should probably apologize, without even knowing if I'm guilty....

Register to Reply
Guru

06/05/2011 9:42 PM

The other side of the coin, is having people absorb and able to restate what you have imparted, is the prime goal of education.

You could 'grade' the responses as you would essays on a topic.

Perhaps this explains why the fellow students award the 'top student' the GA?

(teachers, of course, are exempt)

In reply to #40

06/05/2011 9:53 PM

.....hundred in the bag...aih...

Good Answers: 6

06/06/2011 8:59 AM

I know I've been guilty of not reading all the posts before I answer, but the truth is I'm not looking for a "GA". I'm just trying to help. I don't understand why an Engineering forum would hand out "brownies" for "GA's". Is this grade school, or are we all adults here? I mean, what do you really get out of it? Is your life so baren that a "GA" is an accomplishment?

Sorry if I ranted, but come on guys, grow up!

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #43

06/06/2011 9:06 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #43

06/06/2011 9:14 AM

It's quite evident you put allot of weight on GA's. We don't.

Now, at least I probably would have taken you more seriously about us growing up if you would have pointed this out….......….maybe

But then again, you're fairly new here. Welcome to CR4 anyways.

Guru

In reply to #43

06/06/2011 9:40 AM

It's quite evident you put allot of weight on GA's. We don't.

I know you've been guilty of not reading all the posts before you answer, and the truth is you missed out on Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

But then again, you're fairly new here. Welcome to CR4 anyways.

I should probably apologize, without even knowing if I'm guilty... of stealing ideas from one person, or stealing from many for research

Now if I could just figure out who I'm trying to emulate, but all men are born originals, and die as copies.

So .... stiff upper lip, and all that! Let's just get on with it, as everything has an ending, only a sausage has two, well she's not my girlfriend yet so until then; Doughnuts accepted.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #48

06/09/2011 3:49 AM

It's excepted not accepted. If you're to plagiarise, plagiarise right. (The last one think I stole it from a guy named Bill) S.M.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780
In reply to #88

06/09/2011 4:03 AM

I think he was satirizing rather than plagiarizing. Both spellings are correct in proper context.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #89

06/09/2011 4:12 AM

I think you must have an idea about my writing character by now Tornado, enough to know when I'm joking too. S.M.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #88

06/09/2011 9:33 AM

Saddened I am.

I lift a line from almost every poster and get busted, nor for plagiarism, but for the innuendo at the endo

Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Time to take control United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #91

06/09/2011 2:40 PM

Sorry, should have given you a GA. I got a kick out of your plagiarising...just been too busy to chime in much.

Good Answers: 290
In reply to #92

06/10/2011 4:15 AM

It's never too late (it took me a few minutes because I had to spend time wiping coffee off my screen).

In reply to #93

06/10/2011 10:10 AM

True.....just voted.

In reply to #48

06/10/2011 4:21 AM

Worth another GA. I think you have succinctly (if perhaps inadvertantly) summarized the whole thread. Besides which, doughnuts are always accepted in our household (Tim Horton rules!).

In reply to #94

06/10/2011 8:37 AM

You have Timmies in the UK?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #95

06/10/2011 8:50 AM

There is a gas station down the road that does Tim Horton doughnuts, but it's not the same as going into a real Tim Hortons, and I haven't seen one of them here yet. I grew up with Tim Hortons in Canada, so it's the first place we headed for when I took the family over a few years back. My kids came up with a new term: you have breakfast, then elevenses, then doughnutses, then lunch, then doughnutses, etc!

In reply to #96

06/10/2011 9:05 AM

Okay, of course they're located about every 100 feet in Canada. The States have some, I just never heard of any across the pond!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #97

06/10/2011 3:41 PM

I'm waiting for the day when Walmart is located inside the Timmies shop.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #99

06/10/2011 7:31 PM

Perish the thought!

I hope that Horties never changes!

(Do they still do TimBits?)

In reply to #48

06/11/2011 12:05 AM

..."all men are born originals, and die as copies."

That is the nicest way anyone has ever called me a bastard.

In reply to #102

06/11/2011 12:23 AM

Yeah - whoever said that, wants a good thrashing - ay

(aka. suddenly remembering accreditation when it all go's wrong)

In reply to #104

06/11/2011 12:33 AM

(aka. suddenly remembering accreditation when it all go's wrong)

Is there a slang version?

In reply to #105

06/11/2011 1:01 AM

Hey - I think these that's are the same peopledude that used to copy off my homework in school!

In reply to #43

06/06/2011 12:41 PM

The reason I give out GAs is the same (iirc) as the reason stated in the CR4 guidelines as to the purpose of GAs--to guide the reader (maybe future readers) to the better / correct answers in the thread.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #43

06/08/2011 9:53 AM

O.K.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 243
In reply to #43

06/08/2011 11:31 PM

1) for some of us perhaps. 2) Online brownies; 3) My life is not baren nor barren, nor bear'n. But Giving a Good Answer is a joy; getting the GA feedback helps one calibrate Not asked but implied: This is a community. Many of us really do like to share, to help others avoid avoidable troubles. Some of us have plenty to share. Others have some. Its all good. PS We give away brownies because drugs are illegal, alcohol controlled, and books are too expensive to mail. Thanks for the critical thinking. Milo

Good Answers: 6

06/06/2011 9:25 AM

We all stand on the shoulders of those who have come before. Copying ideas and reusing ideas, such a fine line. When it becomes plagarism is when you take the credit for yourself. This forum is a good meeting and sharing place, if someone copies what I've already posted, I would take it as a compliment. Just because you are copied from, doesn't mean you have been stolen from, does it?

In reply to #46

06/06/2011 9:30 AM

To gain from others work is one thing. But when you truely have a problem, a true problem, here is the place to be. To me, everyone here gives.

Just that what some people give is fertilizer

Canada - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 2

06/06/2011 9:57 AM

I would suggest that in most cases on this forum, when an answer is repeated it is primarily a re-inforcement of the original answer. After all, everything here is an opinion based on varying degrees of experience. To me, each time the same answer is repeated, it gains more credibility. This is also how I view GA's - not as a reward to the poster receiving the GA, but rather as an indication of the credibility of the post.

(I just read quickly through the entire thread, and I don't think that this idea has been expressed yet. )

In reply to #49

06/06/2011 10:04 AM

The hat you get from CR4 at 50 GA's is nice.

But I'm really looking forward to the jacket you receive from CR4 with a 100 GA's.

Good Answers: 42

06/06/2011 10:02 AM

Best thing is to read the main forum question and reply on your own instantly.

That can be followed by view of other replies/ answers and complement.

One can opt to click the G.A button or go forward. Many esteemed members practise this well.

There can be parallel views form many members, which need not be treated as plagiarism.

The style, content and originality should speak by itself.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

34point5 (7); Ace Boeringa (1); Anonymous Poster (6); brich (2); Chankley (1); charsley99 (1); chrisg288 (7); crashcol (3); Data (1); Doorman (1); Ed Weldon (1); Envelope Guy (1); Fredski (10); HiTekRedNek (2); Holzfeller (5); JAGwinn (1); JBTardis (3); K_Fry (3); kramarat (4); kvsridhar (2); ky (8); langyaw (2); lyn (5); Milo (1); MOBI (1); MRH620 (1); passingtongreen (1); phoenix911 (15); Randall (2); RCE (1); rhkramer (4); RufusVS (1); s.udhayamarthandan (2); SimpleMind (2); spooklight (1); StandardsGuy (2); Tobugrynbak (1); Tom_Consulting (1); Tornado (2); truth is not a compromise (1)

Previous in Forum: Stirling Engine Technology   Next in Forum: Universe Expansion Accelerating in Real Time?

Advertisement