Previous in Forum: Stirling Engine Technology   Next in Forum: Universe Expansion Accelerating in Real Time?
Close
Close
Close
Page 2 of 2: « First < Prev 1 2 Last »
Guru

Good Answers: 206

Plagiarism

06/04/2011 9:05 AM

Have you ever seen someone post a question and you have the quick the answer? Instead of going in to a long tutorial you just get right to the heart of the matter and tell them what they need to know. After a while you go back and someone else has posted a response as well. That response is is lengthy, filled with fluff. In their last paragraph or two is the answer you posted an hour or two before. I think these are the same people that used to copy off my homework in school!

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 46

Re: Plagiarism

06/06/2011 11:26 AM

So...

When a man is hungry...

You give him a fish.

and

The other guy teaches him how to fish.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 292
In reply to #53

06/06/2011 12:29 PM

Great Answer!!!

Good Answers: 1662

06/06/2011 1:23 PM

This is much ado about nothing. (William Shakespeare)

You're never going to stop it from happening and most of the time it makes absolutely no difference. I got over worrying about it long ago.

And to all you newcomers who don't like it, I suggest that you band together and start your own forum, where you can have the plagiarism police review every comment.

I think this forum is just fine the way it is, and I appreciate the fact that GlobalSpec lets us play here. I should have used a more grown-up expression than "play" here. Sorry if I offended the newcomers. Not.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #2

06/06/2011 2:48 PM

Don't know if others have observed this, but I've noticed it in a few signatures. They aren't original but the poster doesn't credit the saying to the original (or ANY) author, when known. Just "Ask" (I try not to Google) a few of the unattributed ones and you'll find a couple that fit this bill. I really appreciate knowing who's responsible for a quote; especially if I like it! So if someone stealing YOUR ideas bothers you then this might, too. (Probably no one cares about this... but it is what this thread is about. )

"Something unknown is doing we don't know what." Sir Arthur Eddington

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204

06/06/2011 7:23 PM

If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants... at cr4.

(plagiarized from Isaac Newton)

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 74
In reply to #60

06/06/2011 8:28 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvXstzHzkXk

Many have tried and not only this song.

And the wind whispers.

Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

In reply to #61

06/06/2011 11:13 PM
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 196
In reply to #61

06/10/2011 9:18 PM

Ky -- 40 years and floating on a two two beer buzz I finally discover Hendrix. Found this thread late. Read just a few replies. Hendrix was right. The greatest ideas pass with the fewest words. ........... 3 score & 12 and wisdom's masts on the horizon.

.....Ed Weldon

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 74
In reply to #101

06/11/2011 12:08 AM

Band of Gypsies.

Enjoy

Good Answers: 37

06/07/2011 5:05 PM

Nah, I don't think it's plagiarism. They just don't bother reading the posts before answering..........................I've been guilty of it myself.

I'm gonna be pi$$ed if I see this same answer show up later in the thread.

Popular Science - Biology - life lover Hobbies - Musician - music lover Safety - Hazmat - better safe than sorry United Arab Emirates - Member - desert trek Technical Fields - Procurement - procurement

Good Answers: 58

06/11/2011 3:04 AM

"To copy others is necessary, but to copy oneself is pathetic"

Pablo Picasso

"We can say nothing but what hath been said . . . Our poets steal from Homer . . . . Our storydressers do as much; he that comes last is commonly best."

Robert Burton

"Perish those who said our good things before we did. [Lat., Pereant qui ante nos nostra dixerent.]"

Aelius Donatus

"It has come to be practically a sort of rule in literature, that a man, having once shown himself capable of original writing, is entitled thenceforth to steal from the writings of others at discretion."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

"He that readeth good writers and pickes out their flowres for his own nose, is lyke a foole."

Stephen Gosson

"Why, simpleton, do you mix your verses with mine? What have you to do, foolish man, with writings that convict you of theft? Why do you attempt to associate foxes with lions, and make owls pass for eagles? Though you had one of Ladas's legs, you would not be able, blockhead, to run with the other leg of wood."

Marcus Valerius

"The bees pillage the flowers here and there but they make honey of them which is all their own; it is no longer thyme or marjolaine: so the pieces borrowed from others he will transform and mix up into a work all his own. [Fr., Les abeilles pillotent deca dela les fleurs; mais elles en font aprez le miel, qui est tout leur; ce n'est plus thym, ny marjolaine: ainsi les pieces empruntees d'aultruy, il les transformera et confondra pour en faire un ouvrage tout sien.]"

Michael Eyquen de Montaigne

"Take the whole range of imaginative literature, and we are all wholesale borrowers. In every matter that relates to invention, to use, or beauty or form, we are borrowers."

Wendell Phillips

"With him most authors steal their works, or buy; Garth did not write his own Dispensary."

Alexander Pope

"The seed ye sow, another reaps; The wealth ye find, another keeps; The robes ye weave, another wears; The arms ye forge, another bears."
Percy Bysshe Shelley

In reply to #107

06/11/2011 10:51 AM

perhaps that is why its called "Re-search" ga

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 110

06/11/2011 11:08 AM

Nah, I don't think it's plagiarism. They just don't bother reading the posts before answering..........................I've been guilty of it myself.

In reply to #109

06/11/2011 11:12 AM

I always thought '13 lies' meant that the other guys were doing the lying?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 110
In reply to #109

06/11/2011 11:16 AM

DRAT! I meant to write this:

Good Answers: 129
In reply to #109

06/11/2011 11:18 AM

I think your safe - it showed up earlier

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

34point5 (7); Ace Boeringa (1); Anonymous Poster (6); brich (2); Chankley (1); charsley99 (1); chrisg288 (7); crashcol (3); Data (1); Doorman (1); Ed Weldon (1); Envelope Guy (1); Fredski (10); HiTekRedNek (2); Holzfeller (5); JAGwinn (1); JBTardis (3); K_Fry (3); kramarat (4); kvsridhar (2); ky (8); langyaw (2); lyn (5); Milo (1); MOBI (1); MRH620 (1); passingtongreen (1); phoenix911 (15); Randall (2); RCE (1); rhkramer (4); RufusVS (1); s.udhayamarthandan (2); SimpleMind (2); spooklight (1); StandardsGuy (2); Tobugrynbak (1); Tom_Consulting (1); Tornado (2); truth is not a compromise (1)

Previous in Forum: Stirling Engine Technology   Next in Forum: Universe Expansion Accelerating in Real Time?

Advertisement