Previous in Forum: Recycle Bin's Logo   Next in Forum: All wheel / 4 Wheel Drive Vs Front wheel drive
Close
Close
Close
69 comments
Anonymous Poster

audio annoyance

05/20/2007 1:51 PM

Is there any way you can create static in a car stereo? Something that can be left on all the time-so anyone straying into the area with a loud stereo will pick up nothing but static/noise!

Pathfinder Tags: audio radio static
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 33

Re: audio annoyance

05/20/2007 3:50 PM

If such a gadget exists, let me know: I would also like to get one!

In reply to #1

05/20/2007 6:09 PM

It's called a 50 calibre machine gun.

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #1

05/21/2007 2:59 AM

all good ideas...

In fact there are those FM transmitters that will accept your MP3 player music and transmit it to YOUR own radio, (or someone elses if they are very near), on the obscure low FM dial stations... Maybe you JAM them this way,,

But then, most loud music coming out of those bouncing cars, is probably coming from a CD or their own MP3 Player..

SO.... maybe the shotgun is the best idea... hahahahha

Guru

Good Answers: 49
In reply to #8

05/21/2007 4:56 AM

Look, I've been pushing for the "sound-seeking missile" for a long time now, but...

Good Answers: 24

05/20/2007 8:04 PM

In principle any active spark arc (any Spark Gap with some 15 kv running through) would transmit it's random-frequency (noise) "signal" upto few yards across.

The snag: most modern hi-fi for cars are designed to ignore static noise activating "mute" whenever "noise" detected.

In TV, the same: most TV models are designed with a noise detector, so that when tuned to a noise source, a blue screen is activated, to reduce the annoying effect.

Guru

In reply to #3

05/21/2007 4:55 AM

Check your email, Yuval.

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #9

05/21/2007 5:07 AM

"You (or someone else on the same network) has done this operation too many times.
You will have to try again tomorrow.
Sorry for the inconvenience."

????????

In reply to #11

05/21/2007 5:24 AM

This is what you get?!

In reply to #13

05/21/2007 5:45 AM

Exactly. Cant wriggle out of it now ( I could first thing am today when it happened). Can read incoming though .Aggghhh

In reply to #15

05/21/2007 5:48 AM

It almost sounds like someone on your network is trying to use a DOS attack on CR4's servers and the firewall is shutting down the link.

In reply to #16

05/21/2007 5:58 AM

ooo errr . It only happens on reply and delete in mail . I can't see Yuval any where which is odd.

Popular Science - Weaponology - Scapolie, new member.

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #3

05/21/2007 6:38 AM

Hi Yuval. Hence the use of a .50cal machine gun. Spencer.

Anonymous Poster

05/20/2007 9:59 PM

What a good idea. The next development of it would be a device that does the same thing with those annoying personal telephones.

Guru
Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

05/21/2007 2:33 AM

For me the bass is even more disturbing. I imagine the car hopping down the road,

boom boom boom hop hop hop

What about a even bigger sound system next to the road? play a high pitched note and shatter the windscreen.

05/21/2007 2:45 AM

You could try an FM transmitter. You could potentially play/say whatever you wanted on a given frequency.

Guru

In reply to #6

05/21/2007 7:10 AM

Yes, but then, it's only heard through it's narrow carrier-frequency (station)

Anonymous Poster

05/21/2007 2:58 AM

So you could hear overloud static? Or an even more obnoxious station you hadn't counted on? Or sit there gazing at a pissed-off, about-to-go-balistic person (meth user?) wondering where his background-noise sedation went?

How about a horn loudspeaker hooked up to your own radio, that you could point at you know whom, crank up your window, and crank up the volume. Sometimes even oafs can take a hint.

Your angst reminds me of the time I was driving cross-continent on the Interstate, wee hours, moonless, trailing a big rig...with hi-beams inadvertently left on. Apparently the reflection in the trucker's mirror was disturbing his slumber when, to my fascination, I saw one of his passenger-side mirrors miraculously rotate 180 and focus my own beam directly in my face. Needless to say, I got the message pronto...and thereafter wondered just how he did that...so I might be able to modify my rear-view...for the benefit of those who raise their cruising contraptions without lowering their headlights--and since practically no one "picks up on" or knows what to do when politely signaled with hand waves over the mirror, any more.

Then there's the all-to-frequent oblivione (coined word) in a little car who pulls up close behind at the traffic stop: so close as to make not only his/her headlights disappear, but the presence, as well, of any car at all. Again, they apparently don't teach, "stop where you can see the plates," any more.

In reply to #7

05/21/2007 5:40 AM

A highly focused Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) would disable or destroy both the engine computer and the stereo. Then, while they're under the hood troubleshooting the problem, drive your bull-horn speakers with an Italian female opera singer to excruciatingly painful decibels.

Revenge is best served cold.

In reply to #14

05/21/2007 7:42 AM

"...Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP)..."

With a capacitor discharge, or a micro neutron-bomb?

Guru
Canada - Member - Our strength is our diversity

Good Answers: 40
In reply to #14

05/23/2007 11:24 AM

Unfortunately they're already deaf and wouldn't hear it

In reply to #7

05/21/2007 7:12 AM

Fivestar rating I vote for you, Guest.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 89

05/21/2007 5:22 AM

I can remember my father (an electronics engineer) years ago being annoyed by some neighbours habit of sitting in the front garden with the radio turned up loud. He rigged up a sine wave generator using an aluminium curtain rail as the aerial & had great fun retuning it to swamp their signal every time they found a station they could pick up.

It was that long ago that the signal may have been AM rather than FM.

In reply to #12

05/21/2007 5:55 AM

Yes! I used to do the same thing with a grid-dip meter. They normally cover (thus override in close proximity) AM, FM, and TV channels. While in the Navy, I used to carry a grid-dip meter in my pocket to crews lounges and wipe out any TV stations that I didn't want to watch. Eventually they would find that the only working station was the one I wanted to watch. Otherwise everyone would not have been able to watch anything but sports, sports, and more sports. Unfortunately this won't work on cable unless you grid-dip (tune) one of the TV's IF frequencies every time an undesirable station is selected. This brought back great memories!

In reply to #17

05/21/2007 7:48 AM

I just may have a business proposition for you. The are large number of "Gdddj-Gddj" Guido-Mobiles here, and with your whatchamacallit, we can soon have more of yours in houses, than cars in the streets.

Guru

In reply to #12

05/21/2007 7:39 AM

"...He rigged up a sine wave generator..."

For yet another one of these stories, Click HERE

Anonymous Poster

05/21/2007 6:08 AM

Some places they have laws about that, but I don't know how much they are enforced. If it's that loud outside, I don't see how the driver can be aware of anything outside his vehicle. Sounds like "driving impaired" to me.

Guru

In reply to #19

05/21/2007 7:50 AM

Is there any law prohibiting me from transmitting noise? Most of the spectrum is made of noise.

Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 119
In reply to #28

05/21/2007 8:27 AM

RF Noise outlawed, yes it is. I used to make little sat TV jammers for the 4 gig unscrambled service. Operated by a 9 volt battery with a minicircuits VCO inside and a 555 timer to sweep from 3.8 to 4.2. PLacing that 100 feet in front of their dish ruined their reception. Why do this? I did this for the licenced distributor of assorted sports events in the days when they were not scramblked and relied on the technical barrier. So the bar owners would put up their dishes and try and end run to avoid the fee charged. And my local licensee would buy 10-20 of these at $100 each from me and turn them on just before the main event. These guys had charged people $10+ to see the main event and they had to kick it back. The sat guy let it out that it was a new type of scrambling they used on the main event.

About 6 months after I was doing this good quality scrambling came along for these events and that was the end of a little cash cow. A while after this the video cipher system came along from SA and just about killed the nascent Sat inductsry

In reply to #29

05/21/2007 9:06 AM

So, these days it's not very practical to intercept transmitted signals, given squelch and auto-tune PLL, designed to auto-avoid or mute noise bands.

Guru

05/21/2007 6:46 AM

Some UK shops and Police etc deploy a high frequency noise source. It's inaudible to most , but is highly irritating to teenagers . True (that's what the papers reported ). I'll try find a reference.

In reply to #21

05/21/2007 7:32 AM

I've got a copy of the sound as either wav or mpg, I can't remember which. My old ears hear nothing when it's played but I've never asked a teen to listen to it. I'll upload it tonight & post a link if I can work out how.

In reply to #21

05/21/2007 9:06 AM

Kris, I found this link to the story which has another link at the bottom so you can download the sound. http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/articles/2006/04/04/mosquito_sound_wave_feature.shtml

The comments accompanying the story seem to indicate that it has some truth.

In reply to #31

05/21/2007 12:39 PM

Excellent Nigh - I'll get hold of a few teenage relatives next weekend and see what they think.

In reply to #31

05/30/2007 10:13 AM

Hey Nigh , Id tried the link on a handful of teens. They all thought they could hear something , but were non too specific (high pitch oscillating , but not annoying). I'll seek out another demo and look again - anything that can silence teenagers is worth the effort !

In reply to #67

05/30/2007 10:25 AM

Perhaps you need a bigger amp, get one of them to try it in their car stereo.

Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 18

05/21/2007 9:41 AM

I heard of a great idea for those LOUD, obnoxious, car stereos! A friend of mine told me that he pulled up behind an older gentleman at a traffic light a couple of months ago, and the car in the lane next to the aforementioned gentleman had his obnoxious rap music going at full blast, so the twice aforementioned gentleman pulled out his portable boat hailing horn and gave the kid a blast of his own.

I went out withing a few days and bought one -- it works well!

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

In reply to #32

05/21/2007 9:46 AM

The start of a trend. Soon teenagers will build huge compressors into their cars with outsized boat horns on them....just waiting for your first peep.

It will not happen? ever see the bouncing cars or the 5000 watt car stereos?

Good Answers: 243

05/21/2007 10:47 AM

In the States jamming or causing radio interference is a crime. The FCC has a couple of directional vans in each region that they used to use mostly for finding pirate radio broadcasters.

it is not inconcievable that they will come looking for your always on noise broadcast.

It is also unlikley that they will make finding it a high priority.

IN my day, we used to just shoot bottle rockets at offending cars; but our neighborhood was such that they didn't want to stop.

If they stopped, while they came to look for who shot the bottle rocket, our buddies across the street would take out their windows with BB guns.

We had a lot of fun in college before the drugs fried everyone's minds...

A linear amp hooked up to your ipod would do the trick only if they are playing their radio, unlikley these days.

Bottle rockets can be bought at many fireworks stores along interstates, A five foot pipe assures precision delivery into the open window of the car.

milo

In reply to #34

05/21/2007 11:07 AM

Another brilliant mind lost to crime...been there, done that.

In reply to #34

05/21/2007 7:17 PM

In such case, a noise transmitter will have to broadcast it's signal on a carrier-frequency which is sweeping up and down the spectrum, like military scramblers do.

Both the problem and the solution must be cultural ones:

You cannot scramble legitimate broadcast because someone abuses you ears with unreasonable amplification.

Laws or regulation have to be placed for what's called "Noise Pollution". No need to attack the broadcasting legitimate effort.

Guru

In reply to #40

05/22/2007 1:22 PM

The original problem was about those really annoying kids who play music in their cars at full volume with the windows open. I observe that this usually only done with certain styles of music - rap/techo/trance etc. (well , I've never seen it done with Kylie/ Handel/Tellytubbies etc ). Solution -Graft very large ears onto those found using drugs in night clubs. I would consider sponsoring such Dumbo-ops. This would solve their hearing problem , reduce attention seeking , and give me one hell of a laugh. Take clubbers from Manchester (and elsewhere) at their word - let them 'large it up' for real.

In reply to #50

05/22/2007 5:26 PM

An even simpler solution would be to force by regulation, car makers to automatically shut the car's windows whenever audio is played there. At any level. Soon, they'll probably rig around this, but then it's a felony.

They open the windows to protect their ears in the first place.

And this annoyance gets worse every year, because these kid's hearing ability evaporates daily.

Guru

In reply to #53

05/23/2007 4:21 AM

How about convertibles?

In reply to #59

05/23/2007 5:22 AM

They will only be allowed on rainy days.

Canada - Member - Our strength is our diversity

Good Answers: 40
In reply to #40

05/23/2007 11:29 AM

better to scramble the IF mixer frequency ( I believe it is about 454 khz for ) which doesn't change.

Canada - Member - Toronto, Ontario (South Parkdale On The Lakeshore) Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - Great Lakes School Of Marine Technology (Owen Sound and Port Colbourne) Technical Fields - Architecture - Private Practice 1976-1990 Technical Fields - Education - Toronto Teachers' College 1971 Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - Founding Member Hobbies - Hunting - Founding Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - Founding Member

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #34

05/22/2007 4:28 AM

Rather than fighting fire with fire, how about a directional White Noise Generator (SBD*) with a couple thousand watts of oomph focused automatically by Vermin's sound-seeking technology "anonymously" at the perpetrator to mess up his listening? In other words, to return to the original blog story plot, putting out the fire by filling in his sine waves!

Mark

*Silent But Deadly"...originally used in a different context having to do with the scenting sense modalities noting an obvious trespass that the aural modalities missed.

Guru

In reply to #43

05/22/2007 1:13 PM

I heard there is an Eastern proverb - 'No man dislikes the smell of his own farts'. Experience inclines me to agree with this wisdom.

05/21/2007 12:29 PM

EMP, baby!

United States - Member - Les Etats Unis

05/21/2007 4:35 PM

Maybe install some external mics on your car, invert the audio signal amplify it and play this back out of your speakers? noise cancellation? It might not work for the sub audible portion of the the audio?

Edit: I would guess you would have to keep your windows up to prevent feedback on your own system.

Good Answers: 243
In reply to #38

05/21/2007 4:40 PM

Sounds like superheterodyne feedback. Could work even if it doesn't cancel

milo

05/21/2007 8:58 PM

if the noise level is high there is a device thatn can static the noise

just use a r/c reciever it works

Guru

In reply to #41

05/21/2007 11:17 PM

Wow! I'm not saying that I disagree with you guys, but are all engineers a bunch of vigilante hooligans?!

Canada - Member - Toronto, Ontario (South Parkdale On The Lakeshore) Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - Great Lakes School Of Marine Technology (Owen Sound and Port Colbourne) Technical Fields - Architecture - Private Practice 1976-1990 Technical Fields - Education - Toronto Teachers' College 1971 Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - Founding Member Hobbies - Hunting - Founding Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - Founding Member

In reply to #42

05/22/2007 4:41 AM

Well, maybe not vigilante...anyway, not all the time.

Are you intimating there's something amiss about being a hooligan?

Mark

Guru

In reply to #44

05/22/2007 1:29 PM

I suspect vermin is looking for strings to attach (a bit like Pinocchio's dad)

Allow him to manipulate you whilst I sneak a control wire onto him.

05/22/2007 4:48 AM

On a slightly different tack, I've seen reference more than once to areas disturbed by night time teen gatherings dissuading them by playing classical music. It seems that it doesn't need to be loud to be a deterrent.

In reply to #45

05/22/2007 4:53 AM

And opera?

Guru

In reply to #45

05/22/2007 5:05 AM

Toronto does that in the transit system subway stations to discourage loitering by youth that are perceived as only being able to enjoy loud hip hop, heavy metal, punk or rap music. "Sweet " symphony music is played to create muscle laxity in the youthful listener, who is expected to either (hopefully) flee to escape its influence or be transformed by it into shapeless ooze and flow quietly and submissively down (or up) the stairwells to (or from) the subway platforms. It seems to work quite well, except when the ooze stops to listen when a classical favourite of theirs is playing.

Mark

Guru

In reply to #47

05/22/2007 8:09 AM

"..."Sweet " symphony music is played to create muscle laxity in the youthful listener..."

This was tried here in Israel with cows, I kid you not, in attempt to increase their milk yield. It worked. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven.

When they gave the opera a try, all kinda hell broke loose.

So, let me re-iterate: and opera?

Guru

In reply to #48

05/22/2007 1:27 PM

None of that makes up for Yuri Geller ! I read the Israeli tourist board is now using his services (honest). I bet nobody saw that one coming , not even Yuri.

In reply to #51

05/22/2007 5:32 PM

The poor fella flopped on his grand tour here last year.

They went out of their way to welcome hin new televised ventures, organised a magician tournament on his name and shit. The Israeli public is probably very bored or very tired of his type of magic.

Hey, the difference between Geller and me, is that I can bend all of my spoons.

I re-iterate: And the opera?

Guru

In reply to #54

05/23/2007 1:32 AM

If rich people want to go to Covent Garden to hear fat women sing in German that's fine by me (even if it is some kind of Nazi related tosh ). Why on Earth do lesser beings like me have to subsidize the rich to the tune of 100s of pounds a seat. They could stoll a few hundred yards and see people sleeping in cardboard boxes.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817
In reply to #54

05/30/2007 8:49 AM

It depends on whether its a major blasket on the basey profundoles or a trittly-most on the highest ever reachie that blows out the eardroves of anyone who's listening.

As for the catgut and scrapey? Well, there's a joy. Oh, yes.

In reply to #66

05/30/2007 10:24 AM

Who was the old guy who spoke rapidly in complete nonsense. I really hated him , but I'd love to know. It was very 1950's humour - do you know the one I mean ?

People would fall about laughing and I was left there thinking ' What ? This is no more funny than circus clowns/watching paint dry " . Do tell - I hope you're not related. It must have been great in its time , but like the music hall star with astronomically long shoes it had it's day (what was his name as well ?)

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817
In reply to #45

05/30/2007 8:44 AM

Quite.

The Docklands_Light_Railway uses this technique to dissuade undesirable persons from frequenting their station premises late at night. It works a treat, reportedly.

05/22/2007 10:51 PM

An even simpler solution would be to force by regulation, car makers to automatically shut the car's windows whenever audio is played there.

Yuval:

what about imploding after windows are shut?

In reply to #55

05/22/2007 11:31 PM

"...what about imploding after windows are shut?..."

This, the ultimate user dream, is not unlike other such quests: a pencil to delete whatever you just wrote, a glass-hat, gun with magnetic slug retraction, all very nice ideas, waiting for implementation once the required capital is at hand.

As to "...automatically shut the car's windows whenever audio is played.." why, this is a mere regulatory action, with it's R&D on manufacturers expense...

Now, once the opera is released into the sizzling cauldron, like playing it loud form people's houses and pouring into the streets, believe you and me, the kids will shut their car windows, so terrified, they're not likely to ever opening them again, under any circumstances whatsoever.

And you don't want that. No-one wants that, because the main sacrifice here is the house owner's sanity, playing the darn thing on their home stereo.

Take it from me, I happen to know a few people exposed to opera, and sane, they're not. As a matter of fact, they'll never be the same ever again, me included.

So, please, behave, and let's hope we'll never actually get there.

Guru

In reply to #56

05/22/2007 11:58 PM

From the Psy-Ops Department, Paranoia Division

Look, just try this...

As you're waiting at the stop light. Sort of look down the side of the offending car. Stare for awhile at the back of the car. Just when the light is about to change, honk your horn to get the drivers attention, then gesture to the back of his car and mouth something without really saying anything. Guaranteed, he stay at the light, get out and tries to figure out what you were pointing at.

If everyone does this, he will keep his sound system down to try to hear what people are saying about his ride.

In reply to #57

05/23/2007 6:38 AM

get the drivers attention, then gesture to the back of his car and mouth something without really saying anything

Plan A is that they do what you mentioned.

Plan B is that the draw a Kalashnikow and turn you (as well as your nice car) into a sieve...

Moral: never irritate a youngster listening at 5,000 watt music in a car, cause the only way of bearing it is being completely freaked out after having sniffled Toluene for a while fom an instant glue cannister, or having had a couple of doses of some cheap cocaine subproducts.

In reply to #61

05/23/2007 12:20 PM

mmmmmmmm 'Toluene'

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (7); aurizon (3); Bill (1); Electron Oasis (1); GRISS (2); Hendrik (1); Kris (13); MarkTheHandyman (3); Milo (2); Nigh (7); PWSlack (2); r&ddoc (3); Scapolie (1); techno (2); vermin (6); wndrtch (1); Yuval (14)

Previous in Forum: Recycle Bin's Logo   Next in Forum: All wheel / 4 Wheel Drive Vs Front wheel drive

Advertisement