Previous in Forum: Welding of P9 to P91 Material   Next in Forum: Placement of Turning Vanes
Close
Close
Close
72 comments
Guru
United States - Member - Lifelong New Yorker Popular Science - Biology - Animal Science Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Technical Writer

Good Answers: 59

Your Oldest Tools

04/24/2013 10:09 AM

This post got me wondering... What's the oldest tool you own? Does it still work? Do you still use it?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

Re: Your Oldest Tools

04/24/2013 10:28 AM

A 1920s wooden smoothing plane. Does that count?

Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - Retired Piper

Good Answers: 60

04/24/2013 11:00 AM

1943 Craftsman (electric) Bench Model Drill Press

Yes it still works

Yes I still use it

Good Answers: 206

04/24/2013 11:38 AM

I still own tools i had as a teen. I have a pair of Vise Grips that I've used as a hammer at times that looks like it went through a war but function perfectly as designed

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 182

04/24/2013 12:04 PM

It is an electric drill Black & Decker bought 36 years ago which still works in a perfect mode.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661

04/24/2013 12:33 PM

Uggg flint stone make good tool.
I have an old footprint pipe wrench that I 'rescued' from the cellars under the road of a hi-Fi and components shop in Soho London when I worked there 40 odd years ago.
I have some of my Father in Law's tools too, he's dead now, but I often think of him when I use those tools.
Del

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

04/24/2013 12:42 PM

I own an axe I inherited from my grandfather, passed down to me from my father. Over the years the head has been replaced once and the handle only 3 times.

(Heh. Old joke.)

Actually I just got an old Shopsmith that belonged to my uncle. He bought in the late 60s I think. I haven't actually used it yet. I have a radial arm saw I bought used from a friend, who bought it in the early 70s. That's probably the oldest tool I own that has seen continuous use. (Other than the one I was born with. )

Guru

Good Answers: 1727

04/24/2013 1:10 PM

My oldest tools are my hands and my brain, yes they still work, and yes I still use them.....could use a new coat of skin and some fresh memories though....

Good Answers: 116
In reply to #7

04/24/2013 10:52 PM

GA.. I got me a pair of those too!! Still working fine, nothing missing and nothing hurting.

I also got a pair of Mk1 eyeballs, same model that was designed about 150,000,000 years ago... I was lucky I got the instructions with mine and I still follow those instructions, (unlike the IKEA instructions I get every now and then)....

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

04/24/2013 1:13 PM

In terms of computers and software, I have some data files I still use for CIE luminance and color analysis that are dated 1994. They are actually about 5 years older than that, having been carried over to an early MS Windows machine in that year from a DOS machine where they were first created. Those would be my oldest software tools still in use.

Good Answers: 149

04/24/2013 1:32 PM

DoALL band saw from the early 1940's complete with the blade welder. Still runs as good as new, except the gravity feed cable needs to be replaced. DoALL still has replacement parts available for this model.

Good Answers: 774

04/24/2013 2:49 PM

Late 30's to early 40's power hacksaw. Just used it the other day!

Now as far as oldest tools occasionally used does an electrical systems reference set of books from around 1913 count?

How about the grease cups from a 1890's Hoverizer threshing machine? They still work and I have used them a few times over the years.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 165

04/24/2013 3:18 PM

Yes, and yes.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 105

04/24/2013 3:21 PM

I have a 1939 Delta-Milwaukee Drill Press and a Sheldon circa 1940's engine lathe. All are in excellent condition and used daily. As for computer stuff, I have a Kaypro II DOS computer that still works. It uses 5" floppys, no longer available. A couple of Topcon SLR's, vintage 1960's.

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 89
In reply to #12

04/24/2013 5:39 PM

I wish I'd known, I threw out a box of unused 5" floppys not long ago.

Good Answers: 117

04/24/2013 6:13 PM

I use a 1845 English Pattern anvil.

The calipers, blades and gripping tools date to the same time.

Thats just what I use...I am sure there are folks here who use anvils MUCH older than that.

In reply to #14

04/25/2013 3:17 AM

Yeah it must take a long time to wear out an anvil
Del

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Biomedical Engineering - Radiation Oncology Engineering Hobbies - Fishing - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #23

04/25/2013 8:26 AM

Not if you do this.

Our closest shot to date. 113 pound anvil with 1 pound black powder

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #35

04/25/2013 8:53 AM

How's that work? You set off the powder in the bottom anvil and see how close the top anvil lands to where it started? That sounds like huge fun!

jhammond

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Biomedical Engineering - Radiation Oncology Engineering Hobbies - Fishing - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member

In reply to #37

04/25/2013 9:54 AM

That's it in a nut shell.

There are actually a few competitions. 1 point for each foot of vertical and -3 points for every foot away from the base it lands. We estimated about 145-150 feet high and 22 inches away.

The highest I ever saw (not ours) was around 208 feet. That anvil was only 95 pound.

Google anvil blasting

In reply to #41

04/25/2013 12:08 PM

That has to be a riot! I can't believe it is legal in CT. I just checked, and here in NY as of April 15th, you are only allowed to blast with 0.7lb of black powder. If you have an anvil that holds 1lb, you can still use it, but you can only put 0.7lb of powder in it.

jhammond

In reply to #46

04/25/2013 12:16 PM

With the new "climate" I guess I should look into it.

In reply to #23

04/25/2013 10:49 AM

You would be surprised. It gets "swaled" and in order to true the surface, I have to scrub it with a sand stone once a decade or so.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

04/24/2013 7:10 PM

A 61-bit drill index and bits that are over 60 years old, with most of the originals still there (my grandfather's).

An Eleventh Edition Encyclopædia Britannica (1910), bequeathed from my other grandfather, and which I still use.

This thread calls to mind many good memories.

Good Answers: 144

04/24/2013 11:14 PM

Reel mower.. Late 1800s.. Use it often.

Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 29

04/24/2013 11:22 PM

How about vehicles? I have 3 fire engines in the 1920s; the 2 that are assembled are 1925 and function fine. One was out a week ago after the carb was cleaned. Also have a circa 1802 hand pumper that should work OK, but hasn't had water in it for several years.

Also have a bunch of wrenches and a hand drill (really neat, 2-speed, ratchet, double ratchet, etc) my Father bought, probably in the 1930s. Plus some that I purchased in the 1960s. And a bunch of others of unknown vintage hanging on the tool board and ready to use.

In reply to #18

04/24/2013 11:39 PM

I have a stone axe and a tool sharpening stone disk I found in central Alabama (possibly pre-Columbian). The disk has been used by myself, but the axe has lost its handle somewhere along the way. I know this is cheating.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

04/25/2013 12:15 AM

Yeah, I have a few arrow heads from waaaaay long ago. And yes, it IS cheating....

But only because I am doing it too...grin!

United States - Member - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member

Good Answers: 7

04/25/2013 1:14 AM

I have a small monkey wrench, handmade, from 1901. I dont use it. Also a few unidentified specialty wrenches that nobody seems to know what they are for. Also a handmade crowbar that looks very old and I still use it. And a 16 inch long handmade knife I found years ago, very thick, I have used it with a small sledge to cut steel, firewood, etc, seems indestructable.

Good Answers: 5

04/25/2013 2:07 AM

Fascinating range of replies.

I have a set of chisels from 1860 and a handmade lather from 1820 which is 25% through its plummer block and hardened point bearing life. Outstandingly good steel back then , keeps sharp so there is still length in the chisels, and the lathe was build to last forever. Managed to turn 3mm wall goblet 100 mm diameter, no noise and no waves. Better than all the other lathes put together.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #22

04/25/2013 4:05 AM

Outstandingly good steel back then...
Yeah it really annoys me... there are plenty of good modern steels... they just seem hell bent on using the wrong one.

Probably the curse of today... people 'designing' stuff they know nothing about and don't use.
There's prob' some kid in the far east sitting at a cad terminal designing a drawknife right now who wouldn't know one end of a tree from t'other and is relying on Mr Google to select the grade of steel.

And don't start me on marketting people....
Del
(calm calm... must have tea)

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #25

04/25/2013 9:21 AM

If by drawknife you refer to the self-retracting sheet rocker knives, I think everybody hates those things, you have to release what you're holding with your other hand, just to pull the blade out for the next cut and then relocate your workpiece.

I think that the designer is an idiot, who was trying to protect other idiots from beheading themselves; poor idiots, they try, but the concept just doesn't stick to their brains: Never cut towards yourself !.

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104
In reply to #39

04/25/2013 10:23 AM

That reminds me of some advice from long ago when the circus was in the neighborhood. There was a tent, and for a quarter you could go in and learn something you would never forget. Inside was just a man whittling on a wood stick. He said "Always whittle away from you." I never forgot it.

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 89
In reply to #42

04/26/2013 4:15 AM

Like the good advice I got, "always cut towards someone else's fingers".

In reply to #42

04/26/2013 4:42 AM

RAOFPMSL
That painted such a great picture for me...

Wide eyed adolscent kids hoping to see what wide eyed adolescent kids hope to see....
Priceless!
Del

In reply to #39

04/25/2013 11:52 AM

I agree with what you say.
But when I say drawknife...
I mean drawknife
I use one a lot for my bow making, roughing out staves.
Del

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #45

04/25/2013 4:29 PM

Having used both in my youth, I concur.

I'd characterize a draw knife as a very course spoke shave.

I've debarked many an Oak tree with a draw knife to build fences back on the farm. That would take forever with a spoke shave because they have a limited depth of cut.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 4

04/25/2013 3:53 AM

175# anvil of indeterminate age (well worn and old enough not to be dated), late '40s Craftsman radial arm saw given to me by my uncle, 2" Gouge, undated but marked with the 'Broad Arrow. All in current use.

04/25/2013 4:19 AM

My Brother just gave me this spokeshave the other day when we went down South he picked it up for £4 !
I'm going to hone the blade and give it a try later on some Yew
It's barely been used, still got the makers logo with 'MADE IN SHEFFIELD' that's good enough for me.
Beech wood handle, Sheffield steel blade... hang on, let me count that up...
Yup, that's 2 parts.
A modern one has 8 parts by my quick count... speaks volumes doesn't it?

Del

Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 17
In reply to #26

04/25/2013 2:55 PM

It's beautiful. I've seen objets d'art with less visual appeal.

Register to Reply
Guru

Spokeshave Update

04/25/2013 4:51 AM

I gave the blade a hone.
The way the blade is made with a rib along the back edge makes it sit on the oilstone at the right angle, so it almost sharpens itself.
Cuts like a dream.
Del

04/25/2013 5:33 AM

Grandfather was a tool and die maker. I have a box of his Cleveland taps in #6 - #10 and 1/4 - 5/8 in NC and NF. My guess is from the 30s. They are indestructable. Also have a scythe from the farm that is probably 1800s. I don't use it except for running as the Grim Reaper in a Halloween 5K.

jhammond

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #28

04/25/2013 7:40 AM

Didn't yore Mama tell you not to run with a knife?

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #31

04/25/2013 8:11 AM

That and lot of other things I ignored like most of us here. That's how we became engineers.

The year before I made a tin man costume and ran with my ax. So far, no one has objected including the police doing traffic control, although the other runners give me a lot of space. This year is going to be Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

jhammond

Good Answers: 152

04/25/2013 7:03 AM

I have a clock makers lathe dated 1790 that I was restoring for our local museum. The local town (Prescot. Lancashire) was noted for making clocks and watches from 1750 up to 1950. When the museum closed a couple of years ago for lack of funds they said that I could keep it. I have finished the restoration and am holding it in trust until I can find another museum that will take it and display it (or use it)

Register to Reply
Power-User
United States - Member - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member

Good Answers: 7
In reply to #29

04/27/2013 5:19 PM

You got my attention! Photo?

United States - Member - Lifelong New Yorker Popular Science - Biology - Animal Science Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Technical Writer

Good Answers: 59

04/25/2013 7:10 AM

Wow, lots of great old stuff! My grandfather has a lot of things from the early to mid 1900s including his tractor. The oldest things that I use are a super old ruler that folds up and an architectural ruler (formerly my other grandfather's) and our first family computer from 1989. It has Windows 3.1 and a bunch of games and other programs that run on DOS. We keep it at my grandparents' house and drag it out on Thanksgivings when it's too cold to be outside.

Register to Reply
Power-User

04/25/2013 7:41 AM

T Model Ford Tools, I use em on my Studebaker......

Old Scythe too.... no use for that.. yet....

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 25

04/25/2013 8:05 AM

Here list of my grand old tools and gadgets:-

1. "Murphy Richards Iron" this was gifted to us by ship captain who visited Singapore in year 1961. He bought it for $1/-. When I visited Singapore in 1991 it was still being sold same model no changes for $50/-. It is still working no repairs carried out only cable changed even heating element is same. What a great British product.

2. "Oyster" Massager made in U.S bought in year 1970, still working.

3. "Faber Castel" slide rule of my college days (1960).

4."Yashica Electro Camera" made in Japan bought in year 1970, still working.

Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 9

04/25/2013 8:52 AM

A Stanley 1 lb hammer from my Dad, Exactly how old it is I do not know, I remember it all my life. Earliest rememberance of it is from about 1963 or so. Still use it when I need to.

Register to Reply
Guru

04/25/2013 9:12 AM

I have still the set of 2 multi-hole wrenches and 1 cone wrench/Tyre lever; my father bought a bi-cycle in 1937 for transport from my remote village in then India to District hospital while I was 3 years and admitted for a major operation. My mom stayed at hospital while my father and elder brother were bringing meals and necessities from village on bike.

Bi-cycle had been disposed off but the tool kit remained at home.

Then Bi-cycles had complete tool kit in a pouch attached to back of seat containing 3 wrenches, one puncture repair kit and a hand-pump attached to frame.

Register to Reply

04/25/2013 9:36 AM

I have a hammer from the time of the Mexican Revolution around 1910 and still works. Was the father of my grandfather.

Good Answers: 14

04/25/2013 11:52 AM

I have an old hand cranked drill press.

Register to Reply
Guru

04/25/2013 1:18 PM

Marlin Model 1893 30-30 rifle s/n 217xxx. Date of manufacture, 1900. Used by my grandfather to put food on the table.

Yes, it still works. It has been retired from service now for 20 years and resides in my gun safe.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #48

04/25/2013 1:31 PM

Ah but maybe it's like a Schroedinger's rifle and is only in there if look.
I think you should go check
Del

In reply to #49

04/25/2013 1:52 PM

Can't you see that I'm working?

I'll look after I drag myself home from this sweat shop where I work.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Power-User

Good Answers: 14

04/25/2013 2:25 PM

Machinery's handbook, 13th edition circa 1946.

It has a nice section about using my sliderule!

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 29
In reply to #51

04/25/2013 10:04 PM

I can beat that: 9th edition from Nov, 1934. AND is in the original shipping box with stamps--17 cents.

Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 17

04/25/2013 3:00 PM

An axe circa 1920. (a Weymann Tenor Banjo)

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

04/26/2013 11:23 AM

I have a lot of my father's tools, wooden planes and chisels, all still work and are occasionally still used. How old? No idea, but at least mid 1920's, but if he bought them secondhand (probable), then much older.....

My own personal oldest tool is the one I was born with!

I also have a complete set of sockets for British nuts and bolts, plus AF (American) and Metric all in a big metal flat box, including torque wrench......got it from my Mother as a 21st Birthday present, cost over 30 Pounds Sterling then, worth several hundred new today I would guess......that is now almost 46 odd years ago.....

Good Answers: 25
In reply to #58

04/27/2013 5:55 AM

Naughty Andy .

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #58

05/01/2013 2:44 PM

I was told " there is no tool like an old tool", at least I think that's what she said.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #71

05/01/2013 3:04 PM

Lol !!!!

Good Answers: 13

04/26/2013 7:55 PM

A greenlee tap and die set nc & nf 1/4-3/4 not sur age put price on ad on oak lid $26.00 ...used often.

Register to Reply
Power-User
United States - Member - US Navy Veteran

Location: Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
Good Answers: 22

04/27/2013 8:06 PM

My tools aren't that old but I'm extremely proud to share about them every chance I get.

I have my original - COMPLETE - Craftsman tool set that I got for Christmas when I was 10 years old - some 35 years ago. I've used them to make a living working in HVAC, ammonia refrigeration, as a pipe fitter, and as a machinist.... Now, as a dimensional inspector and only use them for home repairs.

Growing up without a dad, it was one of the best things that my mother ever did for me.

I highly encourage all young boys to get a basic tool set. My two boys didn't act like they appreciated them very much and hardly ever used their tools - until they moved out. Then they were all ears when I told them how to fix or maintain something.

=============================================================

Now to stay on topic and kick it old school, I have some tools and implements decorating my house, and some still in service in the shed that we got from my in laws. My father in law is a Stoltzfus from Lancaster Pennsylvania where he grew up "old order" Amish. Now some of those tools are very old ........and creative.

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

04/29/2013 12:59 PM

I have an old sharpening stone in a nice wooden case that I got from my Uncle John's tool shop in his garage. It has to be a over a hundred years old, he got it used and he was over ninety. I haven't sharpened anything on it, not sure if I know exactly how. I remember my Dad used to sharpen his knives on a similar stone with a little oil. He would slide the knife back and forth a certain way. It was interesting to watch. A nice memory.

In reply to #63

04/29/2013 2:59 PM

Should you wish to sharpen anything on it, there are plenty of good vids on Youtube.
I checked up when I got my new axe a while back, just to confirm I knew what I was about.
Del

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

In reply to #64

04/29/2013 5:59 PM

You have prompted me to get it out and try to sharpen something on it. Found the YouTube videos for instructions.

In reply to #66

04/30/2013 2:21 AM

Then my work here is done

Del (swishes tail and exits right with alacrity)

In reply to #63

04/29/2013 4:57 PM

I had a water stone that I bought in Japan in 1970, the type used to give a fine edge to Samurai swords. Sadly I forgot it when I left my wife in 1980......miss it still......

In reply to #65

04/29/2013 9:25 PM

I picked up a couple of those from Lee Valley Tools here in Ottawa.

I don't use them much.

I suppose because they are natural stone, they could be considered to be "oldest". I mean, nothing gets much older than a piece of rock...grin!

Good Answers: 53

04/30/2013 5:45 PM

Cool stuff guys! I'm sad to say that most of my old tools were destroyed in a garage fire in 1997. I think the oldest tool I have is a Rolex wrench to take the case backs off. I'd say it's from the 50's. Very simple, works great and still grabs the case backs without slipping.

Good Answers: 287
In reply to #69

05/01/2013 4:56 AM

What sort of "case", "backs"?

Just curious.

Edit: sorry, remove question.

OK just a senior moment: there was a clue in the name Rolex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08VAI8eIrRM

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (3); Autobroker (1); bluebelly (1); brich (1); Calnet42 (1); corbinstein (2); Del the cat (10); Fredski (1); geraldpaxton (2); gringogreg (1); Haajee (1); harley (1); Haroldus (1); JE in Chicago (1); jhammond (4); jhhassociates (1); Kilowatt0 (1); LakeGrl (2); Lehman57 (2); Lvillar12 (1); lyn (3); markar (1); nick name (1); Nigh (2); NSS (1); PennPiper (1); PWSlack (1); Randall (1); reward54 (2); rlindey (3); ronseto (1); SavvyExacta (1); smirlex (1); SolarEagle (1); spaceracer (2); StandardsGuy (1); suresh sharma (2); tcmtech (1); Tornado (1); Usbport (2); Yahlasit (1); Yusef1 (4)

Previous in Forum: Welding of P9 to P91 Material   Next in Forum: Placement of Turning Vanes

Advertisement