Previous in Forum: Open Your Eyes   Next in Forum: Additive Plus Subtractive Manufacturing
Close
Close
Close
Page 1 of 2: « First 1 2 Next > Last »
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Whadda Ya Mean Set the Clocks Up an Hour?

03/08/2015 1:51 PM

Now, really.

Why do we have to go through this ridiculous exercise two times a year?

Here in Arizona our clocks don't get reset, so it's even more confusing for us because everyone's time changes relative to ours and we have to mentally correct for this madness.

Do we really need DST, and why?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781

Re: Whadda Ya Mean Set the Clocks Up an Hour?

03/08/2015 2:10 PM

When daylight comes earlier in the morning, there is a possible advantage to adjusting one's schedule to get work and school done earlier, leaving extra daylight in the evening for recreation.

One way to have alternating schedules is to print up two versions. $$$. Another way is to reset clocks. $.

Guru

03/08/2015 3:14 PM

Old Indian says, " Only a white man would think that cutting a foot off bottom of blanket and sewing it to the top will make the blanket longer".

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #2

03/08/2015 3:30 PM

Bad analogy. Daylight actually does get longer in the summer. This gives choice about scheduling various activities.

In reply to #3

03/08/2015 4:08 PM

Poor comparison. All the more reason moving the clock forward in the summer is a waste. As you say, "Daylight actually <already> does get longer in the summer".

You want to save daylight? Adjust the clocks in the winter when there is a shortage of daylight.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646
In reply to #5

03/10/2015 4:09 PM

For what it's worth, a comparison of energy usage in New Mexico that observes DST and Arizona, that does not.

Taking the numbers for 2009, the net energy usage for Arizona was (5160/3180) x (5.5/15.7) = 0.568, or about 57 percent of the total household per capita energy usage compared to New Mexico.

Thus, a state that does not observe DST uses less energy per year than a similar state that observes DST.

YES, I realize this is inexact; nevertheless it's potentially significant.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #96

03/10/2015 4:19 PM

Can ANYONE here post some verified facts about DST being good or bad????

Everything I have seen up to now are basically inexact opinions, both for and against!!!

Power-User

Good Answers: 7
In reply to #97

03/10/2015 4:48 PM
Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #100

03/11/2015 5:03 AM

A perfect link Zvi, it made complete sense, so as Judge Judy says, "It's probably true!" But to anyone else, you need to read it ALL to get the most useful information....

It actually fitted in with some comments I made very early on here when I said that below a certain parallel, it simply wasn't worth doing as the light differences between summer and winter hardly make it worthwhile, its the far(ther) Northern and Southern countries that benefit most from DST.

I wasn't actually thinking about Air Conditioning, but thats partly the secret of extra energy usage late in the day with DST.

Also that due to the extra free time with it not being dark, many people get in their car and go somewhere (I go fishing!), burning extra energy....

We in Europe and Scandinavia have rarely AC at home, I actually do, but since we fully insulated our house in 2008, we have never even switched it on again. Not even once!!

So if we don't drive somewhere, and we don't have AC, there would be a saving in Energy......!!! BINGO!!!

Its only in certain countries/areas that DST will actually use more energy!!!! The US being probably the primary area. The rest of the world could probably save energy!!

Without your excellent link Zvi, I would not have accounted for the differences, I felt that there must be a saving, but I could not put my finger on it.....many, many thanks!

I loved the point that Golf companies and Barbecue companies LOVE the extra light as it improves their bottom line too.....

What about Motor Bikers, Bikers (don't forget Electric Bikes!) and many other hobbies that can fill in those extra daylight hours and increase sales as well as using some energy.....

Private pilots with their own aircraft, a short summer evening flight? Even gliders need to be towed up. Hot air balloonists, use a lot of energy!!!

Even flying model aircraft uses energy....one way or another!! As well as the car to get to the flying field.....

I could make an even longer list of extra energy usage due to DST, but wouldn't it be really sad if we didn't use that extra light in doing something we enjoy.

Not having DST may, in some countries at least, actually reduce total energy usage, but surely thats the price we gladly pay for having fun in our free time?

Do not forget that some studies, in spite of our "hobbies" usage of energy, still show a net 1% saving of energy with DST.

But I prefer to feel (rightly or wrongly!) that it roughly balances out as being no net energy gains or losses, but a huge gain in quality of life!!!

Good Answers: 243
In reply to #104

03/11/2015 11:17 AM

I agree the link is excellent, as is common for the National Geographic!

It really is interesting how our own particular circumstances affect our views.

Probably the main factor that made me buy this house 45 years ago was the fact that it had air conditioning, and I use it a lot in the summer. That original Carrier A/C was installed in 1967, and still runs fine. I've spent about $200 to maintain it over those 45 years. I keep hearing that the newer A/Cs are more efficient, but my electric bills seem to dispute that.

I'm still enjoying my work, and I don't have fixed hours, so I don't pay much attention to the hours. My 'recreation' usually is gardening or keeping the dead wood removed from our little forest. I tend to work outside in the evenings when it is cooler, so the biggest effect I have from DST is the wife complaining that I don't come in for dinner soon enough...

Guru

In reply to #96

03/10/2015 5:03 PM

I suspect that that data tells us something about the economic conditions in the two states, and nothing about DST. Higher incomes tend to correlate fairly well with higher energy use.

In reply to #101

03/11/2015 12:36 AM

Nope. Latest figures I found puts them almost exactly the same. Both in the $35,000.00 USD range.

Just for you, Andy:

Per Capita Personal Income U.S. and All States

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 30
In reply to #96

03/13/2015 9:03 AM

It never ceases to amaze me what people do with statistics to support their positions. These charts have no relevance whatsoever to the DST debate. They contrast electricity usage per person in different states, with different weather patterns, economies, geographic location relevant to time zone borders, elevations, government spending, municipal services provided, electricity rates, population densities, urban infrastructures, rural prevalence, total populations, utility structures, proximity to production facilities, utility policy, etc etc.

Average use per person is radically different across the globe. Attributing this to DST is just downright ignorant.

In reply to #139

03/13/2015 3:35 PM

GA

Pure common sense.

In reply to #139

03/14/2015 12:35 AM

Ignorant? I think not.

About the only one of your statements that is not unfounded and not verified is that they are different states.

Weather patterns are not radically different.

Economies? How so? As Andy would say, prove it.

Geographic locations? Really? Same time zone.

Elevations? OK, I'll give you that one. 4100 vs 5700.

Government spending? That can mean a million different things.

This makes me weary.

You are just blowing smoke with nothing to substantiate your claims.

Even Andy SHOULD call you out on this baseless tirade.

Would you care to add some relevance to the debate? So far, I see none.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #139

03/14/2015 9:08 AM

Lyn did NOT understand your post, sadly!!!

I have seen his reply.

Good Answers: 33
In reply to #3

03/08/2015 9:07 PM

Except in those countries lying at or close the Equator ;-)

In reply to #3

03/08/2015 10:26 PM

Then , maybe, do it on your own time, and make Your adjustments while we keep ours? Just a question….Or suggestion...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

03/08/2015 10:40 PM

I am not particularly promoting Daylight Saving Time, but I am promoting awareness of the rationale(s) for it, which could then be debated. But the OP's question was a typical Noudge question. IIRC, Arizona doesn't do DST, anyway, along with Hawaii and five southern Indiana counties.

In reply to #17

03/08/2015 10:48 PM

Thanks..I am just being a fly in the ointment..It seems like the whole idea is backed by vested interests, and if anything is allowed to exist long enough , it becomes "common, agreed upon Law" It appears , that after the age old Farming interests passed, the concept continues, not unlike some of the other similar laws on the books.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

03/08/2015 10:55 PM

Of course, they could keep making the switch to DST earlier and earlier, and the switch back to ST later and later. Then, the penultimate absurdity, we would always be on Daylight Saving Time. The ultimate absurdity would then be to go for another hour....

Good Answers: 30
In reply to #18

03/08/2015 10:55 PM

Life is backed by vested interests, AKA Democracy. The alternative is fascism.

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76
In reply to #3

03/09/2015 2:25 PM

Not between 23 deg north and 23 deg south it doesn't. It does so twice a year indtead, because summer is undefined there.

Good Answers: 25
In reply to #2

03/09/2015 6:48 AM

You mean Red Indian?

In reply to #33

03/09/2015 12:14 PM

No. I mean American Indian.

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1038
In reply to #2

03/09/2015 8:27 AM

An old farmer once told me that the extra hour of sunshine burned his crops. I told him it's the same number of hours of sunshine, but he said any fool knows that the afternoon hours are much hotter.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

In reply to #38

03/09/2015 8:36 AM

Love it!! LOL!!!

Thats what my German saying is mentioning:-

"Wer nicht weiß, glaubt viel!" = "Those who know little, believe a lot!"

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57
In reply to #2

03/09/2015 8:30 AM

Same Indian also knows that they don't change time on the reservation.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #39

03/09/2015 12:32 PM

From Wikipedia:

The Navajo Indian Reservation, which extends into two adjacent states, Utah and New Mexico, does observe daylight saving time.[15] The Hopi Reservation, which is entirely within the state of Arizona and is an enclave of the Navajo Indian Reservation, does not observe DST.

From Wikipedia:

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #2

03/10/2015 1:46 PM

Yes, I enjoy that saying. Along the same sarcastic lines, "I am glad for daylight savings time; that extra hour of sunlight will help melt the snow."

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #2

03/12/2015 7:16 PM

I heard it was an Indian who discovered it for the very reason you stated. I gave you a

GA as yours is by far the more PC response.

However it was a white man who said "here is the Indian way of life, they hunt and fish all day, come home to sleeping kids and clean teepee. The wife cooks, and cleans afterward as the Indian goes down to the village fire smokes peyote and tell lies tales about the days exploits" And a white man thinks he can improve on that?

Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1038

03/08/2015 3:31 PM

Some folks have grass to cut after work...

Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

03/08/2015 4:10 PM

I hate it, and I think it's a mostly stupid idea. Studies have shown that it actually increases energy use, rather than saves energy, which was one of the primary arguments for extending the period of DST. Other studies have shown that more auto accidents occur in the week following DST in March and the return to ST in the Fall.

I realize, though, that some people find it useful. It does allow time in the summer afternoons for yard work. And for those who like golf and tennis and things like that, it gives them time to play in the afternoon.

If we must have it (and at this point the golf industry would lobby vehemently to keep it) I think it ought to be limited approximately to the 13 weeks of summer, from mid-May when school ends most places, to mid-August when school is back in session.

It's idiotic to have to spend more of the year on Daylight Saving Time than on Standard Time.

Guru

In reply to #6

03/08/2015 10:29 PM

There are statistics that totally prove your point. Golf courses, and outdoor activity venues make a lot of money off of the time change. I say, change YOUR time, talk to YOUR boss, or what ever, and leave us alone...

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Guru

In reply to #16

03/09/2015 9:55 AM

I think you are agreeing with me. (?) I do agree with you 100%. Esp on the 'leave us alone' comment.

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #6

03/09/2015 9:49 AM

Everybody hates it ! It was created by fat flemones self indulgent in the molicie, who can't get their ass out of bed if it is a little cold; there shouldn't be other timebase but theirs. The rest of us still consume energy early in the morning, with the dissadvantage of consumming more in the evenings, 1 hour earlier; and cut our outdoor activities due to the lack of sunlight in the winter. Its saddening: you go to work before sunrise, and return at the sunset.

Only in one thing you are wrong, it is the winter time which they "corrected", the summer time is the natural time we've always had (eventhough Vicente Fox says not many like it).

In reply to #45

03/09/2015 12:29 PM

...it is the winter time which they "corrected", the summer time is the natural time we've always had...

Perhaps in Mexico. Here in the US, 'Standard Time' used to be year-round. 'Daylight Saving Time' was started in 1916 during World War I. For many years it only lasted about 6 months. 'DST' was lengthened to include most of the year during the G W Bush administration.

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #57

03/09/2015 4:45 PM

You're right, I was thinking of my country.

In reply to #45

03/10/2015 1:37 PM

To answer some of your comments from my personal point of view, someone who likes DST.

Your comments in bold Italic!

Everybody hates it !

That is patently absolutely untrue, otherwise we would have never had it in the first place!!! Even if was only one person who likes it (ME!!), your comment is wrong.....think about it!!

It was created by fat flemones self indulgent in the molicie, who can't get their ass out of bed if it is a little cold;

Mouth Ulcer & Softness?

Two words their that at least the CR4 spell checker did not understand, but neither did I, so a complete waste of a sentence...I have underlined the wrong words to help you correct them! Spanish maybe? Here we speak English (or American depending upon your point of view!!)

The rest of us still consume energy early in the morning, with the dissadvantage of consumming more in the evenings, 1 hour earlier; and cut our outdoor activities due to the lack of sunlight in the winter.

This really doesn't make a lot of sense, either the "extra" energy usage is in the morning OR daylight the evening!! You cannot blame DST for both!!!

Its saddening: you go to work before sunrise, and return at the sunset.

That could well be true, maybe you need to change your job if it is that important for you, but do not forget, the Sun is there for a specified amount of time per day (check your diary for Sunrise & Sunset times!).

How accurate the clocks are in relation to the Sun, is usually a value that fits in approximately with hopefully the "middle" of a country getting the Sun at its highest point at around 12:00 IN THE WINTER!), Obviously the part of the country to the east of the middle has the "wrong" time as does the western side. You can easily test that for yourself....but no guarantee from me as to how exact it truly is....

I would expect that possibly some countries are "politically" time aligned with neigbouring countries....though thats a pure guess....

DST does not lengthen or shorten that time between Sunrise & Sunset.....so blaming DST for your personal work scheduling is simply a complete waste of time....

Nothing you wrote showed me a reason for me to change my mind about DST.

I liked DST when I worked and I like it now in retirement. So I need some VERY valid reasons to change, can you bring any here for us? Facts, links and the like?

Till far more people dislike it, it will stay as it is, so try and get used to it and use it to YOUR advantage.....

Have a great day.....

In reply to #80

03/10/2015 3:31 PM

Some studies have gotten inconsistent results, but one carefully done study in Indiana showed that DST causes people to use more energy.

I'd like to see a study comparing the yearly per-capita energy use for New Mexico and Arizona - similar states in many ways, but one uses DST the other does not.

From Wikipedia:

• A 2008 study examined billing data in Indiana before and after it adopted DST in 2006, and concluded that DST increased overall residential electricity consumption by 1% to 4%, due mostly to extra afternoon cooling and extra morning heating; the main increases came in the fall. The overall annual cost of DST to Indiana households was estimated to be $9 million, with an additional $1.7-5.5 million for social costs due to increased pollution.
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 937

03/08/2015 4:15 PM

What a ridiculous question. Of course we don't need to change the clocks but we do it to follow the recognized convention for proper coordination. We also don't need to have months with three different number of days in them. We could just have twelve thirty day months in a year. Every sixth year a thirteenth thirty day month could be added.

In reply to #7

03/08/2015 7:28 PM

Why have "months" at all? What do they represent?

My calender could accommodate 365 days, without any reference to months.

Why not have 16:25/67/2015?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

03/09/2015 10:02 AM

Why even have years? Switch to the Julian Date Calendar that astronomers use. By that calendar today is 2457091.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 54
In reply to #11

03/11/2015 2:57 PM

Lyn,

I never thought of it that way. That is a very precise way of including the time with an exact date. Very nice. Thank you!

Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

03/08/2015 5:11 PM

My suggestion is to only set the clocks ahead 30 minutes and and then never reset them again.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 6)
Guru

Good Answers: 45
In reply to #8

03/09/2015 3:29 AM

I reality that would solve having to play the spring forward/ fall back game.

Though people would still complain about it.

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918
In reply to #28

03/09/2015 8:51 AM

Indiana and Arizona simply do not play the game and it seems to work fine for them. I didn't have a problem with it while living in a State that never changed the clocks.

It doesn't seem to be as useful as it once did.

I also think we should all just use UTC and be done with it.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 774

03/08/2015 5:26 PM

I'm more of an evening and night person so I would prefer setting the clocks back twice a year.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 70

03/08/2015 6:33 PM

I agree - we don't need it! My dogs still get up at the same "time" every day, and the farmer down the road has to milk his cows at the same "time" every day no matter what the damn clock says! I can't think a one good reason for it!

03/08/2015 9:23 PM

I lived for about 15 years in Bariloche 41º South / 71º W where we had the same time Buenos Aires had (our capital is 34º S / 58º W): For some weeks it was great to have natural light until almost 11 PM... the problem appeared after a certain time, cause we prolonged family / social life far beyond we were used to and consequently slept much less than needed.

03/08/2015 10:24 PM

Neither in Hawaii...

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 15

03/08/2015 10:48 PM

US population 300+ Million

AZ population 6.7 million

You lose.

Guru

In reply to #19

03/08/2015 11:02 PM

Daylight saving time should have died with Victory Gardens.

There was a time when the rational made sense. Those days have long past.

Not knowing what "Noudge" means in this, or any other connotation, it's difficult to debate the merits.

I think it is irrational now, except in an economic $ense as stated.

Power-User

In reply to #22

03/09/2015 7:22 AM

I agree, DST makes no sense - not even economic. That is except for the special interest sectors that fight for it with phony statistics and labeling anyone against as being backward, primitive, super-conservative, etc.

Every shift of the clock is followed by a blip upward in traffic accidents ("jet lag" effect). Also, extended DST results in increase in accidents during dark AM hours when children are walking to school and drivers are less alert.

Since most all motor vehicles are air-conditioned, DST brings an increase in the consumption of gasoline and diesel fuels which more than offsets any energy saved in electricity for lighting.

More and more places of employment implement flexible work hours. More folks now work at home using computers and internet. This enables us to have our spare time when we want it.

Hard to calculate, but evidently quite significant, are the high costs of twice-a-year rescheduling of functions and operations. This is all the more complicated when they have to be synced with other nations that have different DST shift dates. Airline timetables - ugh!

DST was imposed on Japan during the occupation following its surrender in 1945. When the army pulled out, the Japanese government wanted to continue with DST in order to minimize coal imports for generating electricity. Ministry of Education fought this claiming that superior education was essential to the country's recovery but because of DST children weren't doing their homework. They won.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #34

03/09/2015 8:04 AM

I have yet to hear (or read) a good argument against DST.....from anyone.

I see "statistics" with no links to reliable, well articulated, sources, that I can fully agree with....its all smoke and mirrors....where did you get your DST traffic accident statistics for example? Or the econmic issues that you mention in passing.....????

Its obvious that more people/countries want it as we still have it!

Though I have never heard of a country voting on the question either. Perhaps thats the answer!!! Get a vote organised....

I do believe that if done "properly", there should be energy savings....like no lighting in houses, get up with the Sun and go to be with the son Sun!! Whenever possible of course....

Solar heating also gets up with the Sun too. With good storage, the Sun from yesterday.....

i am being a bit argumentative, but no more than anyone else here.....to me, DST has not been proved to be dangerous or to use extra energy.

But I am willing to learn from reliable sources, as ever!!

In reply to #36

03/09/2015 10:17 AM

Show us some statistics to back up your empty claims.

As usual, late to the party.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #49

03/10/2015 1:42 PM

Tell me which "claims" you mean in my post, if there is a "claim" there, I will do my best to answer in a simple and easily understandable manner for you and you alone!!

But leave the "facts" alone please!

In reply to #81

03/10/2015 2:09 PM

Your entire post is ridiculous and contains no "facts" at all, except that solar heating relies on the sun.

You are simply stating your opinion.

Don't insult those who disagree with you.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #86

03/10/2015 2:52 PM

I am still waiting on having the "claims" that you "claimed" I made, to be pointed out......

Now you are going off on another tangent!

That will never win you an argument......that is if we were having one!!! I wasn't, but you might be!!!

Try and stay with your own ideas for a post or three....!

Thanks in advance!!

In reply to #91

03/10/2015 5:17 PM

Andy,

True to form, you don't have a clue.

Worse yet, you ask for proof for something that no one wanted proof for in the first place!

I said, "Do we really need DST, and why?"

I never said "prove to me that we need DST.

So, once again you are late coming in and then just adding your usual bluster.

You are worse than a rock in my shoe, but I've gotten used to your demanding "proof" when none is needed.

Guru

In reply to #102

03/11/2015 5:14 AM

I am sorry that you are feeling so "Ratty" today and yesterday and tomorrow.....you must have a VERY unhappy life.

But, I now, due to the number of good posts and great interest that this blog has generated, see that there are even more advantages to DST than I ever dreamed of.

Though I have ALWAYS liked it, but hadn't thought about it really.

So I have to thank you partly (Mostly Zvi !!) for making me think and to bringing me to KNOW that I need DST, even as a pensioner....

So from the bottom of my heart, to all who posted here, MANY THANKS!

I see no point in wasting time and energy on CHANGING DST now!!! Let it stay!!

So we will actually see a NET GAIN in the quality of life and less hot air (more for balloons!) from politicians talking about it and wasting money to change laws that don't need changing! and some other hot air blowers here!! anyway!!!

In reply to #105

03/11/2015 10:25 AM

Good luck in your little world.

I see you ignored the part where energy usage of AZ and NM was compared.

Remember what Mark Twain said.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #110

03/11/2015 1:58 PM

Because it was not comparing for:-

a) the vast number of people who live in more northern (and southern) climes than AZ and NM for example, the ones that benefit more with DST as it is anyway....

b) It was not comparing like with like exactly, the two states may be similar, but they are not exactly the same......AZ = 6,553,255 persons and NM = 2,085,538. Only a complete idiot would compare the two.......Close (?) but no cigar!!

c) Those are US States (they are not alone!) where house insulation is at best often mediocre and AC is a way of life. The complete opposite to here and most of the rest of Europe.....

If you want to believe such comparisons, be my guest, someone has to I suppose....you are elected!!

Remember my German saying, you prove it more and more with your aggressive, inaccurate and unfriendly posts.....

But do have a good day anyway....

Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 16
In reply to #102

03/11/2015 5:10 PM

I hope it is not a meteorite.

In the land of Oz we have three time zones across the mainland. When Day Light saving kicks in we have four. Other than the recreational advantages there is an economic advantage in that trading hours are increased or at least fielding enquiries as the calls are just forwarded to those offices that are open early or late depending on what state they are in.

I am all for DST and my cows don't mind it either. They say the extra sunlight helps the grass grow. My Mother, however, still thinks it fades the furniture.

BAB

In reply to #117

03/11/2015 5:25 PM

LOL!!!

In reply to #117

03/11/2015 5:29 PM

That "extra" sunlight is probably what is causing global warming.

In fact, one of our "progressive" governors from Florida, has forbidden his Department of Environmental Protection, from using terms such as "climate change" and "global warming. He says it doesn't exist.

I've been prevented from taking the "non-rock" to geologists, but I will.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #36

03/09/2015 1:06 PM

"I have yet to hear (or read) a good argument against DST.....from anyone."

I have yet to hear (or read) a good argument FOR DST ... from anyone.

Back when candles were the principal source of illumination, perhaps, but Ben Franklin's suggestion of it was in satire!

From Wikipedia (among several energy items): "

A 2008 study examined billing data in Indiana before and after it adopted DST in 2006, and concluded that DST increased overall residential electricity consumption by 1% to 4%, due mostly to extra afternoon cooling and extra morning heating; the main increases came in the fall. The overall annual cost of DST to Indiana households was estimated to be $9 million, with an additional $1.7-5.5 million for social costs due to increased pollution.[87"

It is well established that sudden changes in schedule cause stress in many, if not most, people. I believe it is also well established that increased stress exacerbates or even causes many medical problems.

I waste a significant fraction of an hour setting clocks at each change, and commonly forget to set at least one, which leads to more stress.

I'd be happier without DST!

Guru

Good Answers: 109
In reply to #60

03/09/2015 9:13 PM

My argument for: People who live in the north generally end up suffering from SAD disease.

DST helps all people in northern latitudes (unspecified) live and cope with the loss of sunshine. Personally, I would live year round with DST but many school kids would be forced to walk to school in the dark. If the kids live far enough north they will also walk home in the dark. DST was a compromise between northern people and those who could live without it.

Who wants sunshine rising early as 4:30 am and setting at 9:00 pm? That is a fact in many northern latitudes. Better to let the sun set later to enjoy a longer daylight period. People are less likely to waste time watching TV in daylight and be active outside. I could live with year round DST. In fact the powers have decided to allow DST earlier in the spring and later in the fall to accommodate the wishes of most people. The compromise between north and south latitudes allows us to work together at the same times all year round. The savings are minimal and I suspect within margins of error.

In reply to #64

03/09/2015 9:40 PM

You ignore the obvious.

No matter where you live, or what games you play with the clock, you will still have the same relative amount of daylight and dark every where on the planet.

We're stuck with DST and it isn't that dig of a deal.

But why? We don't grow Victory Gardens any more and golf courses can adapt.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #65

03/09/2015 11:48 PM

I just like to be awake when it is daylight and I cannot get up at 4:30 am to enjoy daylight, But I can stay awake longer to see a sun set.

In reply to #70

03/10/2015 6:48 AM

Hi Kevin! "You" put "your" finger right-on the problem:

I just like to be awake when it is daylight and I cannot get up at 4:30 am to enjoy daylight, But I can stay awake longer to see a sun set.

Using the word "I" three times, "you" tell "us" what "you" like. But there are lots of "us" that very much prefer precisely the opposite: Daylight in the morning (4:30 AM) for jogging, bike riding, swimming, gardening, etc. with noon at midday and darkness at night (before 10:30 PM!) leaving time for "our" nighttime activities.

Can "you" justify imposing on "us" laws that cost money, burn more fossil fuel, make for more accidents and upset "everyone's" life in order to favor what "you" like, and "we" don't, just because "you" don't like getting up early?

How about a referendum? It probably will never be because "your" side is likely to lose.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #77

03/10/2015 10:15 AM

An opinion is only based on "my" experience, thus the personal pronoun use.

If only it were so practical to go feral and ignore schedules imposed by clocks. We could all rise at the sun and sleep by the sun. Those above the Arctic circle can just hibernate all winter.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #64

03/09/2015 10:35 PM

You are also inaccurate in your seasons. The last two weeks of winter are now DST. All of spring and summer are DST. We will be well into fall when DST ends. The phrase "spring ahead and fall back" is memorable and instructive on which way to change the clocks but is now inaccurate.

In reply to #66

03/09/2015 11:51 PM

As long as the sun sets later in the evening, I am OK with it. Spring or Fall, meh.

In reply to #64

03/10/2015 1:59 PM

GA

In reply to #60

03/10/2015 1:56 PM

You picked out of a very long page, a couple of sentences that appear to support your theory.

Here is a longer piece from the same article, do please note that the final opinion was a 1% saving in energy!!

Detractors of daylight saving time point out that scientific studies assessing the impact of the time policy change to DST in Indiana have identified a significant increase in energy usage and spending on electricity by Indiana households. Indiana households paid an additional $8.6 million in electricity bills according to University of California, Santa Barbara economics professor Matthew Kotchen and Ph.D. student Laura Grant,[17] while supporters of Daylight Saving Time point to studies such as Professor Kotchen, the Department of Transportation and organizations such as the California Energy Commission claim that the United States saves approximately 1% of energy when Daylight Saving Time is being observed.

In reply to #84

03/10/2015 2:41 PM

You're right - it is a very long page. So long that I didn't read it all...

...and you're also right that we do tend to see things that support our own biases, and ignore those that don't.

I'd love to see some real data on actual energy usage in the weeks before and after changes in or out of DST, but I haven't found it. Unfortunately, I have pretty low confidence in the veracity of most government and industry studies, as they tend to suffer from the same biases.

Regardless of any energy that may be saved, there are clearly other issues that need to be considered, such as medical, mental, and learning problems.

I gather you are fully retired. If so, what difference does it make to you what they call the time of day?

In reply to #89

03/10/2015 2:50 PM

The key advantage I get from both clock changes is no longer have to drive home from work precisely at sunset. The route I take puts the sun right on the roadway I'm driving. Having to look directly into an about to set sun in an attempt to see what I might run over is terrifying.

In reply to #89

03/10/2015 2:59 PM

I tend to get up with the Sun, sometimes have to even drag the dog out of her bed, she likes a lie in!!

I hate winter for being so dark in the morning.

I like the days getting longer....nights shorter.....

DST sort of divided up the year for me.

I have been using DST (or knowing about it anyway) since I was quite small.....

Its an old friend!!

Now if enough people get together, they may be able to change it.....but I am not going to lose any sleep over that.....nor am I going to vote for a change either!!

Unless its for Double DST!!

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #36

03/11/2015 5:20 PM

I don't know Andy - we're fed with warnings, via the boob tube, from AAA, AMA, DOT, ASPCA, AKA, NCAA.... every blinkin March and November telling us to be please be careful because there is a statistical increase in traffics accidents, heart attacks, strokes, bad cases of acne, body odor and so on, after a time change.

Never saw the statistics myself, either, but would all those organizations, especially the governmental ones lie to us? For what purpose would that serve?

Myself, I don't seem to have any issues with it, but I handled the oil field quite well, and we'd do 48 hour shifts often and even did a 72 hour one once with about 300 miles of driving involved, so I am probably a bit different than norm.

In reply to #118

03/11/2015 5:46 PM

Again, without some good links,like for instance that one from Zvi for example, all you say is well, not much!! Your opinion....

You could be right or wrong....I have no idea which.....

I personally like DST, but I could live without it, I am not "ferocious" about it either way.

It is just funny that practically ALL the people here posting AGAINST DST, post no links supporting their thoughts....Even links posted purporting to be for getting rid of DST, turn out, if you read them all through, to be the opposite!!! My quote at the bottom is from one such a site!!

Really funny......

I am of the opinion that its probably 6 of one and half a dozen of the other...and not worth the money/energy/time to get the law changed.....that would simply be a total waste....

From this website:-

Time to Move on?

Here is the conclusion:-

"Daylight saving has been credited with speeding up production in industrial plants and lessening eye-strain among school children, and it has been blamed for forcing homemakers to prepare dinner during the hottest hours of the day and browning out lawns unaccustomed to so much sunshine," Downing said.

"As you can imagine, the Congressional Record on daylight saving constitutes the great comic novel of the 20th century," he said.

"It's absolutely fascinating what daylight saving been blamed for and credited with over the years."

LOVE IT!!!!

In reply to #121

03/11/2015 6:46 PM

Andy,

Only a complete idiot would cherry pick parts of an article and slant them to support his distorted, incorrect OPINION!

Let me correct your lies.

No Energy Savings

"When you give Americans more light at the end of the day, they really do want to get out of the house. And they go to ballparks, or to the mall and other places, but they don't walk there. Daylight saving reliably increases the amount of driving that Americans do, and gasoline consumption tracks up with daylight saving."

Hazardous to Your Health?

A 2012 study by the University of Alabama at Birmingham's Martin Young found that the risk of heart attack surges by 10 percent on the Monday and Tuesday after moving the clocks ahead an hour each spring.

Fortunately, these scary statistics may be balanced by the return to standard time, according to Young's research, which also found that heart-attack risk decreases 10 percent when clocks fall back.

"Just Plain Tired"

His research suggests that the human body's circadian clock, kept in tune by light and darkness, never adjusts to the changing chronology of DST.

"The consequence of that is that the majority of the population has drastically decreased productivity, decreased quality of life, increasing susceptibility to illness, and is just plain tired," Roenneberg told National Geographic in 2010.

Farmers Against DST

Many farmers still don't like DST, including some dairy farmers, who find that cows' natural milking schedules don't adapt easily to a sudden shift.

Andy,

Either state the facts or shut up!

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #122

03/11/2015 9:00 PM

Lyn: go back and read your first sentence, then the rest of that post.

You have just done it yourself! So that means...

Guru

In reply to #123

03/11/2015 9:35 PM

I could have just copied and pasted the entire document. I did not alter the thrust of the document to suit my position.

Did you read; 1. the document; 2. your response; 3. my response.

Please point out the distortions in each reference.

Whatever. DST is here to stay.

I'm getting sleepy Andy, good night.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #122

03/12/2015 4:50 AM

You give advice that you would be better giving yourself! Try looking in the mirror!!

You are obviously unable to tell the difference between a possible "fact" and what is an "old wives tale!" and DST....

JUST 4 U, I have no problems either way, said it before say it again as you might have missed it!!!

As I have stated several times, I DO LIKE DST! But I have not promoted it either way, its just that you and many others HAVE NOT PROVED THAT YOU ARE RIGHT!! Probably never will either!!!

In all the Contra DST arguments, its SO easy to pick holes, so I pick them!! ITS FUN!!!! You go ballistic, whats new here?

But, if it is as I believe that the differences with or without DST are difficult to quantify exactly (too many idiots trying to make a political statement), and are probably in the order of Plus/Minus 1%, then there is no need to change it!

Which will make me happy. As I like it. Its like an old friend that greets me every spring.....

ONLY a 100% accurate "proof" might make me change my mind....

That does not exist either way....YET!

So until such proof is available, we should simply leave it alone.....why waste money changing something that no valid proof exists that it is worthwhile or not?

Change for changes sake???? Surely not?

If you don't like summer and winter time, and you live in a DST area, then MOVE!!! GET YOUR ARSE OUT OF THERE!!

Simply stop ranting and raving about something you have absolutely no effect on!!!!

Furthermore:-

Lynnette, you post here like a woman with period problems, some days great other days simply dreadful. It even appears sometimes to be a 28 day cycle sometimes......you simply just end up appearing unstable, some even talk about it behind you back.........not my problem either way.....

Wait 2 weeks till the middle of your cycle and read your posts again, MAYBE you will get it? But I somehow doubt it!!!

We all put up with you, you simply have to put up with all of us as well!!!!

Have a great day anyway.....CR4 would not be the same without you!!!

Though some days it really is like shooting fish in a barrel!!! Your fish, your barrel, my gun......!!

In reply to #125

03/12/2015 10:53 AM

"But, if it is as I believe that the differences with or without DST are difficult to quantify exactly (too many idiots trying to make a political statement), and are probably in the order of Plus/Minus 1%, then there is no need to change it!"

I agree 100% with every segment of that statement.

The only thing is, I'm pretty sure you intend "then there is no need to change it!" to mean "then there is no need to eliminate DST!", while I intend "then there is no need to change it!" to mean "then there is no need to change back and forth from standard to DST".

I'm pretty sure that there is a feeling of mutual respect between us, but we sure are on opposite sides of the fence on this very minor matter.

In reply to #128

03/12/2015 1:12 PM

I agree. No need to change the clocks.

As I said earlier, DST should have gone the way of Victory Gardens.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #128

03/12/2015 1:23 PM

Its still great to have you here as well.....

Whats a war without a good enemy?

Seriously, we need some cool heads here to continue to enjoy the argument!!

The premise was made that it needed to be changed due to energy requirements/usage from the detractors. Well that has shown to be a motivation that nobody can prove either way.

Furthermore, why waste millions of $$$$ in the USA to change a law that probably does not make any difference either way.....which is where I tip my hat to....The US economy is/was running into a minus, why make it worse....? Even by one red Cent?

You have counties and states where there is no DST....here I have NO choice, I must have it in both Germany and the UK!!!Luckily I like it!

Stay fit and well.....

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 92
In reply to #131

03/12/2015 1:40 PM

In the UK this gets debated every time the change between GMT & BST approaches. The original proposal in 1916 was that the clocks should shift by 80 minutes, in 20 minute weekly steps.

In reply to #121

03/12/2015 8:08 AM

Germans never understand facetious humor, do they?

Other than my unfortunate work experiences with interrupted sleep patterns, everything was a joke. The whole point of the post was we have NEVER been offered those links to the statistical data you are looking for. NEVER. Our media here spreads these "facts" and expect us to believe what they say.

In reply to #126

03/12/2015 1:10 PM

Two points, first Germans do understand it.

Also, I am not German.

So you are "facetiously" wrong on both counts!!! Do try and find it amusing!!!

You wrote:-

"The whole point of the post was we have NEVER been offered those links to the statistical data you are looking for. NEVER. Our media here spreads these "facts" and expect us to believe what they say."

What if "you and they" are wrong and the data we all seek simply does not exist!!!

Thats the most likely explanation.....otherwise Snowden would have "outed" it I am sure!!

In reply to #129

03/12/2015 1:40 PM

Yeah I know - but you've been there long enough to become like them.

I am not wrong - I never claimed the studies existed nor ever believed them if you read my first post to you. I have never noticed a problem from the time change. However, as stated before, I may be a bit desensitized, as I do know what true sleep cycle interruptions can do to you, as those 48 hour shifts could occur anytime and I was never sure how much sleep time I would get in between them. I remember sleeping 13 to 14 hours at times, and then going days on just a few at other times. Yeah, eventually this did become a bit of a problem, when I would only make it as far as the first carpeted floor in my house and go to sleep there.

Actually, the most likely explanation is the studies on sleep cycle interruptions from shift work. So someone, most likely a labor union official, said lets apply that to DST and there you go - problems. But again we guess.

In reply to #132

03/12/2015 3:31 PM

You said:-

Yeah I know - but you've been there long enough to become like them.

How could you possibly know what I am?

Your judgment in both people from other countries and a severe lack of simple good manners, makes you wrong again!

3 out of 3 tries!!! Not a good average!!!

Thats also a rude and very racist comment......but what should I expect from Redneck country????

Are you also a white supremacist by the way? (notice I am not saying you are one, I am simply asking!!)

I know as much about you as you know about me, that is nothing at all......

In reply to #134

03/12/2015 3:57 PM

I work with Europeans quite a bit in my job, and your comments on CR4, and I've read quite a few of them, are no surprise. I see the same strange logic patterns (this is where we get motor control circuit breakers that are RED for run and GREEN for stop????) and the same misunderstanding of American twisted humor. By the way, I'm 6 generations down from a German immigrant and grew up in "Pennsylvania Dutch Country", which is really from Deutsch, not Dutch - the English here messed it up. Near as I can tell from the family tree, my genes are 100% from right there originally. Oh and since when did German become a race?

I started this conversation, several post ago, with the idea of a bit of humor, as you and Lyn seemed to be getting a bit out there, and now you've drug me right there to. Need to lighten up man. American humor is a bit nasty at times, but not meant to be vengeful.

In reply to #135

03/13/2015 5:52 AM

Just a question, "But did the English mess it up before or after 1776?"

(also I guess you meant British not English!!)

Are you a person that believes people cannot change in around 240 years?

I believe that most of them can! But thats just my opinion...

So, if I was you (but please do just as you wish!), I would not still be blaming the British for any deficiencies you feel are still in your home country!!! Far too late for that!!!

But do please list the problems you think that are still there, I am fascinated?

By the way, in Europe, those colours you mentioned are wrong for starters. Maybe cheap Chinese equipment? They haven't a clue....

They are also the colours most usually mixed up by colour blind people. Maybe the person that put it together is colour blind! and doesn't even know it! No quality control either....Buy elsewhere....

But don't blame me, or the British or even Europe for the button colours please......I expevt that the USA also had nothing to do with it either....

Have a great day.

In reply to #137

03/13/2015 8:41 AM

Well, no, I mean English. The Scots and Irish waited until much later to start the trek here, so the non-Deutsch speaking lot was primarily from England and they labeled my ancestors as Dutch. They must have assumed most of Holland had moved here. Our Amish sects still call all of us English, no matter where we originally came from, and that is a term meant to be similar to the "N" word to the black race, or now the "R" and "S" word to our native Americans.

Yes - there has been a vast change in 240 years. The culture in Europe is vastly different than here, while 240 years ago it was the same. Not necessarily better, (well maybe it is better there now - race doesn't seem to be an issue there) nor worse - just vastly different.

But the original leaders of this country were at one time British citizens and quite aristocratic, so who you gonna blame? Face it - a bunch of rich Brits set our standards, and we still can't measure up to them. But, let's not go there - the Brits have some stranger humor than we do. My wife can't tolerate Monty Python. (Spam, spam, spam, spamitty spam???????)

The circuit breakers I refer to are from Siemens, and I think they are made in Eastern Europe. I understand the logic. Green means the electricity is off so it is safe and red means it is on, so be careful. Still contrary to how electrical people here look at it, as we focus on the start/stop train of thought, not the energization of the circuit. Not wrong - but different. And then there are the E&H level switches. What would be set as NC here is NO and vice-versa. Not wrong - just different. Logic can be a regional thing. We're trying to globalize things, but we've got quite a ways to go on that. First we need to standardize electricity voltages and cycles, then we can work on the logic differences. That's quite a headache when designing equipment for anywhere outside North America. (not saying we're right on our choice, but we don't put 220V where children can get to it with a fork in a receptacle)

In reply to #138

03/13/2015 3:34 PM

Your text in BOLD ITALIC!

Well, no, I mean English. The Scots and Irish waited until much later to start the trek here, so the non-Deutsch speaking lot was primarily from England and they labeled my ancestors as Dutch. They must have assumed most of Holland had moved here. Our Amish sects still call all of us English, no matter where we originally came from, and that is a term meant to be similar to the "N" word to the black race, or now the "R" and "S" word to our native Americans.

No matter what the Amish call you, the UK was formed WELL before 1776!! So the people were BRITISH, or did you meet and talk to each one personally and check the accents out?

To quote from Wiki:-

The Union of Crowns in 1603, the accidental consequence of a royal marriage one hundred years earlier, united the kingdoms in a personal union, though full political union in the form of the Kingdom of Great Britain required a Treaty of Union in 1706 and Acts of Union in 1707 (to ratify the Treaty).

(Taken from:- History_of_the_formation_of_the_United_Kingdom)

1707 is accepted by many scholars, some take 1701, some earlier, but none later!!!

Yes - there has been a vast change in 240 years. The culture in Europe is vastly different than here, while 240 years ago it was the same. Not necessarily better, (well maybe it is better there now - race doesn't seem to be an issue there) nor worse - just vastly different.

You basically say nothing worth reading in this paragraph!!! What were you trying to say? Please be clearer.

But the original leaders of this country were at one time British citizens and quite aristocratic, so who you gonna blame? Face it - a bunch of rich Brits set our standards, and we still can't measure up to them. But, let's not go there - the Brits have some stranger humor than we do. My wife can't tolerate Monty Python. (Spam, spam, spam, spamitty spam???????)

I don't know where you pluck aristocratic from, but you finally got it right, THEY WERE BRITISH!! Well done!! At that time, YOU WERE ALL BRITISH, EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE OF YOU!!!!

You and your wife are probably too young to understand the Spam joke fully, but lets just say it has nothing to do with the Internet and unwanted emails....

The circuit breakers I refer to are from Siemens, and I think they are made in Eastern Europe. I understand the logic. Green means the electricity is off so it is safe and red means it is on, so be careful. Still contrary to how electrical people here look at it, as we focus on the start/stop train of thought, not the energization of the circuit. Not wrong - but different.

You got that right, " Not wrong - but different.". But if you don't like it, buy something else, US made, with the opposite colouring! If possible. I have no idea, but I believe that such things as colours of buttons are not made arbitrarily, they are usually regulated.

Can one of the US EEs here chime in and tell use how it is in the USA please? What colours should such breakers be?

Where did you get "energization"? New word for me!!

And then there are the E&H level switches. What would be set as NC here is NO and vice-versa. Not wrong - just different. Logic can be a regional thing. We're trying to globalize things, but we've got quite a ways to go on that. First we need to standardize electricity voltages and cycles, then we can work on the logic differences. That's quite a headache when designing equipment for anywhere outside North America. (not saying we're right on our choice, but we don't put 220V where children can get to it with a fork in a receptacle)

Logic is NOT regional anywhere, it cannot be. NO means to me "Normally Open", NC means "Normally Closed". Its marked so on most relays I have ever worked with....See here, one that I took off the web:-

Please note the markings. I do not know how they got marked as you describe, IF they got so marked!!! Not to standard I would guess.....

I do believe that most US housing gets 220 VAC fed into the house, center tapped for Neutral. So its really no safer than say a European house. If there is a fault on say a washing machine, air conditioning, maybe even washing up machines for example, it is still possible for someone to be hit with 220VAC.....If you didn't know that.....you demonstrate very poor understanding of US mains voltage and installation......that in itself could be very dangerous!!

The ONLY really safe design of plugs and sockets in this world, are those in use in the UK (THE BRITS AGAIN!!!) and some of its dominions. Even though there is nothing better, people still get killed....sadly. Nothing is perfect. A proper installation and maintenance can help to reduce the risks....

Improvements over the last 70 odd years have further improved it....also the usage of earth leakage trip breakers has helped dramatically....are they in your house? They should be!! Thats good advice if you have children....

Note.

Most of my previous questions have been ignored, that usually means that someone couldn't answer them!! What were your reasons?

Also, just look at how many OTs you have been awarded (6 I believe!) for you last post.....THAT should tell you something!!! Does it?

In reply to #140

03/13/2015 3:41 PM

Give it a rest.

You are just proving what an ass you really are.

Anonymous Poster #2
In reply to #142

03/13/2015 3:55 PM

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru

In reply to #142

03/13/2015 3:56 PM

You have an OT of 6 at this time. Now thats an "A**E" score.......it could get even larger!

Your "A**E" too!!!

Tip, we spell Ass differently in the UK.....

What you write is what we might write "Biblically" (Joseph and Mary etc.) and simply mean a Donkey....

Do have a great day......

In reply to #144

03/13/2015 4:07 PM

That's OK, I started with 5. It could get smaller too. I'm not worried, either way.

You need a nap. I'm afraid that daylight savings time has upset your schedule.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply Page 1 of 2: « First 1 2 Next > Last »
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (51); Anonymous Hero (2); Anonymous Poster (2); Beenaround (1); BlueAussieBoy (2); bullardrr (1); C-Mac (7); Charlie Greenwood (2); Crabtree (1); dkwarner (16); Doggerel (1); JIMRAT (3); JWthetech (1); Kevin LaPaire (1); kevinm (4); lyn (24); mastrsmth (1); metalSmiths (1); mikenelson6 (1); Nigh (8); old salt (1); Original_Macgyver (5); ozzb (1); PFR (3); Phys (10); r&ddoc (2); redfred (9); Rixter (2); SavvyExacta (2); SHOCKHISCAN (1); SolarEagle (1); suresh sharma (1); tcmtech (1); Tom_Consulting (4); Tornado (4); Usbport (8); Wal (4); welderman (1); Yahlasit (2); Zvi (3)

Previous in Forum: Open Your Eyes   Next in Forum: Additive Plus Subtractive Manufacturing

Advertisement