Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: How to Build a Car   Next in Forum: Best Metal for Plain Bushing
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

26 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

Re-Constitute Old Gasoline

12/27/2011 3:16 PM

I have a tank with 4 or 5 year old gasoline in it, about 35 gallons (American). Is there anything I can put in the gas that will make it usable in a lawn mower or power plant. I know there are products you can put in new gas to keep it from going bad, but what about gas that has sat for so long? -- JHF

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 419

Re: Re-constitute old gasoline

12/27/2011 3:41 PM
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 107

12/27/2011 4:50 PM

I agree the answer is no, but. I would suppose with a little experimentation (on equipment you don't mind abusing) you could blend new with old to extend your supply to run an old lawnmower. I wouldn't put it in a car, I'd fear my "cheapness" might do harm to my emission system.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering -

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #2

12/27/2011 7:13 PM

Fuel pipeline companies often blend off spec product into regular product. Their blend ratios are only a few percent, only a gallon or two for every hundred or even thousand (depending on how off spec the product was).

You can blend it in, but it might take you another year or so to get it all through your lawnmower.

Drew K

12/27/2011 5:46 PM

A product called Pri-G by Power Research Industries. I have used it on 12 year old diesel (their Pri-D version) with success. Check out their FAQ at: http://priproducts.com/FAQ.cfm SolarE

Register to Reply
Power-User

Location: Ground Zero of the Pompous and self important....Washington DC
Good Answers: 8
In reply to #3

12/27/2011 7:05 PM

Diesel and Gasoline are two very different things...

You can run 20 year old diesel fuel without issues as long as its not contaminated with water or fungus.

6 month old gas these days thanks to the EPA "reformulation" is crap....5 year old gas is just another difficult to get rid of waste.....because its going to mess up anything you try to put it in even with any reasonable dilution amount.

Heaven forbid you put it in something with fuel injectors...or worse Direct injection.

You can't even burn that crap off in many areas. Only a fool would dump it...and good luck finding a place you could pay to take it.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #3

12/28/2011 10:01 AM

Thanks! I looked at their web site and am very interested. My first choice is to get rid of the $100.00 dollars worth of headaches, but that is easier said than done. I am waiting for a reply from PRI Products, but, since I am needing the tank to supply a carborated power plant that only runs a part load, and a carborated lawnmower, neither of which have any emission equipment, I am tempted to try diluting further with new gas and PRI-G and see what happens. Thanks again. The PRI web site is very interesting. -- JHF

Good Answers: 6

Re: Re-Constitute Old Gasoline

12/27/2011 11:14 PM

How about finding a gasoline/petrol blowlamp,and warming your workshop or shed with it?

I have a gallon or so of old thinners giving the same problem, but here in Australia kero/parrafin was blowlamp fuel but I recall US/Canadian practice was to use gasoline.

The inadequate heaters of VW beetles were, I recall, suplemented in Canada by gasoline heaters under the passenger seat. Probably quieter and more fire-safe but only a lucky find.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 22

12/28/2011 12:12 AM

you have some good paint stripper there called turpntine it has a smell you will never forget.

Location: kibbutz nir-david, a beautiful rural village in Israel

12/28/2011 12:35 AM

I thought that probably you could evaporate your gasoline, since it evaporates at low temperature, and again to condense it, I think that it will not require to expensive stuff-or am I wrong?

My suggestion is based on the asumption that flammable liquid is very evaporative, and what is deteriorated isn't evaporative.

Since are are not in hurry of time, you don't need big and heavy equipment for your "refinery"!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 475

12/28/2011 4:09 AM

If you have or know someone who has one you can mix it in with the fuel oil/diesel fuel that the oil burning furnaces and portable jet heaters use. They are the the least fussy about fuel quality.

Otherwise if it was me I would just run it through a 10 micron filter and start dumping it in anything that uses a carburetor based fuel system a bit at a time.

"Posting information on the internet is rather like casting seeds to the wind. Once it leaves your hand you have little chances of getting it back and no control over where it may land or what may sprout from it in the future." tcmtech.
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

12/28/2011 8:32 AM

The fuel oil idea is a good one.

A lot of automotive garages around here have heaters that will burn just about anything.................used motor oil, etc. I'd find one of them, and give it to them.

35 gallons is a lot to get rid of a little at a time.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Hmmm...

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #10

12/28/2011 10:53 AM

If blending it with fuel oil, BE CAREFUL!

I have no first hand experience but I've heard horror stories of kerosene heaters going awry with deadly consequences when people used gasoline in them. Even a small amount of gasoline into a large amount of kerosene can be dangerous.

If I were you, I'd use it in a cheap lawnmower or some other equipment that won't cost you if it does get screwed up. The old cast iron Kohler engines are pretty hard to kill.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

12/28/2011 11:09 AM

Yeah, if burning it, it's a good idea to be careful.

Something to consider though:

Yesterday, I burned up about 2 gallons of gas that was just over 1 year old, on my burn pile in the back yard. I dumped the gas, (a real dark, orange brown color), on my brush pile, and poured a thin trail back to a safe distance to light it...................the thin trail of gas lit, but burned out before it reached the brush pile. I ended up throwing some wadded up, burning, dry weeds on the pile to get it going. It flashed, but nothing close to what fresh gas would create.

I wouldn't run that stuff through any equipment that I cared about.

Guru

In reply to #14

12/28/2011 6:51 PM

Very true, a little bit of gas can ruin a lot of diesel or kerosene. We had an incident where we had to put multiple products through a manifold and a few barrels of gas were retained at a low point that we couldn't drain...it ruined an entire 35000 barrel tank of diesel.

If you are going to blend it into anything, blend it into more gasoline. If it is a portable tank, you can usually give it to your local fire department; they enjoy extra stuff to burn for training.

Drew K

In reply to #16

12/28/2011 7:00 PM

GA for that one! Bottom line is to get rid of it. Fire departments do train for fuel fires. Best idea yet.

In reply to #17

12/28/2011 7:06 PM

I like that one.....

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 1

12/28/2011 8:41 AM

It is good for cleaning grease off of parts. FYI- the research octane of gasoline will drop in one day if left open to air. R+M/2= Road Octane.

12/28/2011 8:54 AM

If I lived in the sticks.....I'd dig a hole put a 55 gallon drum into it, back fill it. dump the gas into it (at the last minute) and have a remote electronic ignitor.

Have all your friends over for beer.......and after dark dump the as into it and set it off andwatch the mushroom cloud of fire when you se it off.

The burried drum will serve as a burn pit after its over.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 111

12/28/2011 9:03 PM

How and where was the gasoline storred? If the gas was left in a steel drum in the hot sun, It has ahd lots of evaporization. If on the other hand, it was in a fuel tank under the back of a car, in a garage, It has led a better life. If It was mine, I would run it through a good filter designed for filtering fuel, and then inspect the filter. How much junk is in the filter would determine the dilution rate of the fuel.

One drop in 100 gallons will never make a difference. 50/50 almost certinly will. I would start with 20% in the lawn mower and similar engines, and less than 10% in more sofisticated engines.

In reply to #19

12/28/2011 11:47 PM

Bob,

One problem with modern fuel is the ethanol additive. It is more volatile than the gasoline and it also absorbs water from the air. Old gas (post ethanol) has a much lower octane rating (50's and 60's) because the ethanol additive increases the octane to what you see at the pumps.

The water problem is as it burns the water heat out as it is converted to steam which causes uneven burning and uneven expansion. Even if the ethanol is only 10%, it can absorb it's volume in water before it becomes a water/ethanol mix instead of an ethanol/water mix; so you won't know it is there until it is saturated and the entire 10% drops out.

Because it is a mixture, you can't drain or filter the water out...I have not heard of a good method of reclaiming wet ethanol blended gasoline. If his gas has been sitting open to the atmosphere you can assume there has been some condensation accumulation in the tank and there is water in the fuel.

Drew K

Good Answers: 86

12/28/2011 10:27 PM

In these parts dead gasoline purchased from roadside vendors can render a very basic motorbike unstartable.

The cure is always to empty the carb bowl and to dilute the crap in the tank with good or marginally better gas to the point where the bike will start. (no need to waste...)

Some dilution of good gas with dead gas, it seems, is functionally tolerable but you should limit this to "need to do" situations. I don't think it should be adopted as a normal operating practice though. Some hassles do accompany the practice. Nothing is really free.

Dead gas is great as a general purpose solvent and as a fairly safe fire accelerant.

I have some dead gas that I use to start the BBQ. It burns slower than diesel fuel. Go figure. I tested a bit of it before putting it to that use. MY LOT turned out to be fairly tame. Test your own before trying this.

I've never had to resort to using poor quality fuels in my vehicles and plant and with adequate planning and good (global) fortune I hope i never will.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #20

12/30/2011 12:11 PM

Doesn't the gasoline fumes burning affect the flavor of foods cooked over the BBQ? I don't use charcoal lighter for that same reason.

In reply to #22

12/31/2011 1:17 AM

The gas is just an accelerant to get the fire burning.

I don't start cooking until I have a bed of redhot coals and by that time the gas is long gone.

I had an excellent fire roasted slab of dead cow yesterday. No odd tastes detected.

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #23

02/03/2012 3:24 PM

I like dead cow also Wal. And, If the coals are left to burn to a red/orange color, the gasoline will have been burned off completely. My sister is a vegetarian and often tries to convert me to eating just vegatables. My answer: Feed the vegatables to the cow, and then I will eat the cow.

In reply to #24

02/03/2012 4:33 PM

And, as Friar Tuk said the proper use of grain is to make beer! -- JHF

02/04/2012 12:43 AM

Yup, meat is concentrated plants.

Gasoline is fossil sunshine.

The two are a natural mix.

Keep it green fellas..

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

az native (1); bob c (1); Circuit Breaker (2); dadw5boys (1); Don in LA (1); Drew K (3); Fredski (1); kramarat (4); Lo_Volt (1); Rockyscience (1); ronseto (1); Smoothy (3); SolarE (1); tcmtech (1); Wal (3); Zaf (1)

Previous in Forum: How to Build a Car   Next in Forum: Best Metal for Plain Bushing