Close

Rating Vote:

9 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 10

Fixing onto Pavers

04/21/2012 11:47 PM

Hi all

I have project which requires plates to be secured on top of paving. These plates will hold removeable tables for alfresco dining. The current method is to remove the pavers and place a concrete pad under them using rag bolts or similar to secure the plates. I have examined screw piles as an option.

Any other suggestions to pull these plates down?

Thanks Tony

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 3

Re: Fixing onto Pavers

04/22/2012 12:39 AM

rawrl anchors may be appropiate. countersinking the plug, then using longer bolts will enable patching the concrete if nessessary.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 472

04/22/2012 11:13 AM

I would think these methods are determined by code...

http://www.indydt.com/GAStreeGuideFinal.pdf

In reply to #2

04/24/2012 10:41 PM

Thank you for that SolarEagal, there was a limited amount of information on fixing, but the overall PDF was quite interesting.

Tony

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 140

04/22/2012 3:52 PM

Tony, are you trying to eliminate or minimize theft of your tables?

If so, construct a concrete pad under the pavers @ each table and use expansion bolts. Make it heavy enough so would-be thieves can just come along and cart off your tables!

I highly recommend either Rawl-studs, Red Heads, and Hilti. All can be bought with Anti-theft heads on them to deter thieves. They're foolproof, because if a thief really wants to steal something they'll figure a way to do it!

In reply to #3

04/22/2012 5:31 PM

Sorry I'm obviously not explaining myself. I can use a concrete footing, but that is disruptive and difficult, I would prefer another solution such as a screw pile that would minimise the amount of work and cost. The tables are removed from the plates at night with a simple coupling.

Thanks Tony

Good Answers: 3

04/24/2012 7:43 PM

anchors used for dog chains.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 27

04/29/2012 7:58 PM

Tony,Do you have to have flat surface - no trip hazard - when the tables are taken away?

Do you own the paver/patio area, have control over it, or will the landlord allow it to be modified?

Can you remove some of the pavers and replace them with a new cast replacement piece?

What does the base of the table look like now? Is it a post/disk, or tripod or quadrapod?

Can the base of the table change if it allows you to keep the tops, and the new bases are not expensive?

Are you needing to anchor the tables because of wind, theft, codes, or all three?

Do you need to move/rearrange the table layout or can they be set in exactly the same spot each time they are placed out?

In reply to #7

04/29/2012 8:36 PM

Tony,Do you have ...... Yes, not totally flat, but not a trip hazard.

Do you own the paver/patio....... Generally a landlord or council has control and it must be made good after the lease period.

Can you remove some....... Yes.

What does the base....... The table columns are specially made to suit and clamp to a disk 120mm diameter 5mm thick with a ramped edge, it can be made larger or an additional thin plate put under.

Can the base of the table...... The same disk can be used for umbrellas, barriers or a different style of table.

Are you needing to anchor......... All three and a requirement that the streets are clear when the cafe is closed.

Do you need to move/rearrange........ Generally the cafe is licenced for a number of tables and these will be put in the same place each day.

Thank you for your interest and help. With an existing concrete pad we can use chemical anchors, but most alfresco areas are paved. My aim is to find a cheap solution involving one visit with minimal disruption to the cafe, council or patrons. Currently umbrellas have up to 50kg on their bases and still take off in high winds, there seems to be no legislation for tables other than "fit for purpose".

Tony

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #8

04/29/2012 9:53 PM

Tony,

We used these outdoor sockets to fit a parking lot for 300 tables. 10 years later, they still get used and driven over and it still works. We changed the tables to have a post instead of a leg/base. Good part is now the tables stack in a smaller rack and the table legs can be changed from dining height to bar height. And the umbrellas don't blow away. And, yes, they are spaced to play volleyball and tennis also. Not maybe important for your application, but you could use these for stanchions and they are much less expensive than removable parking bollard inserts we could find at the time.

Standard pipe fits. You just need a core drill which is rentable, but the bits are pricey. It's fast, and you can get epoxy or quick set to bond them in place. As for the anti-theft part... Someone else may need to find you an easy fix for that but I think it involves a tab on the post with a hole in it for a lock. I also like CapnMoosie's anti-theft screw heads on a hilti or red-head. There might be a balance somewhere between cheap chain and padlock and elegant cylinder pin lock solution.

http://www.volleyballusa.com/Catalog/Nets/Volleyball-Sleeves-Sockets-Floor-Anchors.html

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

CaptMoosie (1); durtieduck (2); SolarEagle (1); Tonymech (3); txmedic3338 (2)

Previous in Forum: Cracks in Reinforced Cocrete Slab   Next in Forum: FPS Brick