Previous in Forum: American English? Or Please Confirm That This Guy Has Lost The Plot   Next in Forum: Pressure Measurement
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 64

Why an Arrow Mark in Measuring Tapes at 16", 32", and So On

06/09/2015 7:51 AM

Dear CR4 MEMBERS,

In the measuring tapes of 2 Metres or 3 Metres, I found an ARROW MARK exactly at 16", 32", 48" etc. The tape is having both INCHES mark on one side and Centi Metre mark on the other side.

What is the significance of the ARROW MARK in the tape.? I could not get any answer from my colleague(s)

In British Units 8" is one chain for field survey/measurement and 16" means 2 chains. The total links in one chain is 100 nos. and hence 800" I am not sure - whether this arrow relates to denote 2 links.

I request CR 4 Members to inform this arrow what it means.?

DHAYANANDHAN.S

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409

Re: WHY AN ARROW MARK IN MEASURING TAPES AT 16", 32", and SO ON

06/09/2015 7:55 AM

Placement of wall studs when building or remodeling a house or building.

These will accommodate the 48" by 96" or 120" sheets of plywood, laminate or drywall. Usually put vertical on walls.

Each panel will share a stud on the edge.,

Guru

Good Answers: 287
In reply to #1

06/09/2015 8:07 AM

GA

From http://perfectmeasuringtape.com/news/2012-01-18/tape-measure-standard-spacing

"The usual spacing between 2 x 4's in a wall is 16 inches on center. You'll see an arrow on your tape measure at 16, 32, 48, 64, 80 and 96. The spacing between larger structural members, such as roof rafters and trusses, is often 24 inches. You'll see an arrow on your tape measure at 24, 48, 72, 96 and so on. Note that both series of numbers come out even every 48 inches and every 96 inches. That is because the standard size of a sheet of plywood is 4' x 8', or 48 inches by 96 inches. The ends and edges of every sheet of plywood will have a nailing location with standard spacing."

Guru

Good Answers: 15

06/09/2015 8:01 AM

That is the distance between studs when framing a wooden stud wall in the USA when using 2x4.

Guru

Good Answers: 92
In reply to #2

06/09/2015 9:18 AM

NOOOOOO!!! Please NOOOO!!!!!

Slight correction please- that's the difference between nominal CENTERLINES of framing members using 16" centers (most common in Canada as well). You seriously wouldn't believe how many people think you're supposed to measure 16" between the studs. And when someone decides to finish their own basement, guess what happens to the poor dope that comes in to do cabinetry work afterwards ....(let's just say that cabinet backs shouldn't look like Swiss cheese).

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 6)
Guru
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 33

Re: Why an Arrow Mark in Measuring Tapes at 16", 32", and So On

06/09/2015 9:40 AM

If you look closely most tapes have arrow marks every 19.2" also. This is for non load bearing walls where code allows for wider stud spacing and you can save one stud every 8'.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 202
In reply to #5

06/09/2015 3:26 PM

In some, but few, areas 24" c-c is permitted for non load bearing walls. The same for joists on decks. For decks the joists usually have to be wider than the usual 2x6 or 2x8. Beams are usually spaced closer or heavier. All this means that every even foot number 2, 4, 6, 8,.......... On the tape is used for markers. Every odd foot number 1, 3, 5, 7, .......... can be used but isn't as dummy proof as the evens. Good Luck, Old Salt

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #5

06/12/2015 2:06 PM

I witnessed the use of the 19.2" spacing of trusses for the roof of a 4 car garage once. The project turned out quite nice, then was easily converted into temporary living quarters for the family building it, because all the amenities were included during the initial slab pour.

Location: Large hole formally occupied by furry woodland creature.
Good Answers: 97

06/09/2015 4:02 PM

This stud spacing standard was developed by three little pigs.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

06/10/2015 12:07 AM

I find these types of wall to be very poor in quality myself.....even for internal (infernal?) walls.....

No thanks.

Good Answers: 80
In reply to #8

06/10/2015 8:40 AM

Andy, I don't know how many remods you've done but it sure beats late 19th century plaster on lathe and the just put a beam where it sags building code. LOL

Don't even get me going on some of the interesting tube and knob installations I've run across. :-)

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #8

06/10/2015 9:38 AM

This is on the newer side of the big pond. We like to do things very quickly and very cheaply, as opposed to older European standards. If you don't like these walls, I can't imagine what you must think of our "pre-fabbed" houses that roll onto site behind trucks in two sections on wheels. At least we have eliminated the obvious seam between the two sections that was prevalent in first generation pre-fabs. Sure beats mobile home trailers, especially during a tornado.

You may interpret "cheaply" in either use of the word.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89

06/10/2015 9:19 AM

I walked in this morning to find this thread,and everything that needs to be said has been said, so I just peppered my GA votes where appropriate.

Since American building codes aren't used universally (or even globally), it's easy to understand the confusion about the 16" arrows on the tape measure. Every contractor or homeowner who looks at a tape measure would see that mark and instantly (or should instantly, in they've got two working brain cells and have ever measures the stud width on an unfinished wall before) know what it means.

Personally, I did not know about the wider spacing for non load-bearing walls, I don't think I've ever seen that before, just 16" on center, and occasionally, 12" on center. I believe the 12" on center is either an older standard, a layout for 'heavy load bearing' walls, like under a dance studio, or someone who does not understand the building codes 'guestimating' what the spacing should be.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 20

06/10/2015 11:46 AM

That is the standard stud spacing in normal construction. Just makes the dimensions easier to see.

Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 29

06/10/2015 3:04 PM

In the USA a "surveyor's chain" is a different thing. Use a search engine on the term, because it is more than I want to repeat. The whole chain was 66 feet, but each link was just under 8 inches (7.92") which may be the 8" mentioned in the OP. There are 100 links in the chain to make 66'.

Good Answers: 10

06/10/2015 6:00 PM

What many of the answers have not said is that this is a USA standard. I am sure there is a metric standard in your country and other countries that use the metric system. -- JHF

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (1); Andy Germany (1); Circuit Breaker (1); ddk (1); James Stewart (1); JNB (1); Kevin LaPaire (1); Lehman57 (1); Massey (1); old salt (1); phoenix911 (1); Phys (1); Randall (1); rashavarek (1); Unredundant (1)

Previous in Forum: American English? Or Please Confirm That This Guy Has Lost The Plot   Next in Forum: Pressure Measurement

Advertisement