Previous in Forum: Problem In Parallel Operation Of Transformers   Next in Forum: Dover Hydraulic 2 Landing Elevator 1976 Vintage.
Close
Close
Close
22 comments
Participant

2 Phase Hydro Coin Operated Meters?

12/29/2015 7:19 PM

Is it possible to purchase 2 phase hydro coin operated or token operated meters to fit to cottages so that guests pay for the hydro they use?

We can purchase 1 phase and 3 phase meters from the UK but can`t find a company making 2 phase for use in Canada or America?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 122

Re: 2 Phase Hydro Coin Operated Meters?

12/29/2015 8:06 PM

http://rdlmeters.com/

Here you go.

Good Answers: 1662

12/29/2015 8:08 PM

Um, most residential power in the US is 1 phase.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

Good Answers: 15
In reply to #2

12/30/2015 11:30 PM

Every house i have lived in in US in last 68 years has had two phases of 110 volts in the panel. I use 208/220 for electric clothes dryer, oven, hot water tank, a/c condenser, 5hp air compressor, and assorted items using twist lock plugs. The rest of the house standard 110 outlets are balanced on either phase in the panel. I recall some stories given as warnings near Niagra Falls, NY that some very old 230 volt single phase 50 cycle existed resulted from early, before accepted standards. Of course potential damage to modern standard computerized equipments.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 416
In reply to #12

12/31/2015 12:45 AM

I hate to break it to you but that is single-phase, center-tapped. Lyn is absolutely right. Two phase power is 90 degrees phase shifted. It's a rather old, arcane power transmission method.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-phase_electric_power

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

In reply to #14

12/31/2015 1:02 AM

Interesting. So measuring across two legs of same phase yields ; a) 0volts. b) 110 volts. c) 220 volts? Using a dual trace oscillascope shows two phases out of phase? If the supply to house is single phase 208, where is the split to get 110 volts? Single phase 208 would use one conductor plus netural, right? My measurements at meter from street always show two conductors with 110 volts measured to neutral that is grounded to earth.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #15

12/31/2015 9:41 AM

Your conclusion is wrong, not the reading!!

In reply to #14

12/31/2015 2:23 AM
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #12

12/31/2015 9:39 AM

Residential power today? Never....

In reply to #2

12/31/2015 9:37 AM

Dare I say all residential power?

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

12/29/2015 8:35 PM

Whatever locale this is, there may be regulations about reselling electric power and other utilities. Make sure to comply.

Good Answers: 1727

12/29/2015 8:58 PM

12/29/2015 9:36 PM

you can do some interesting project.

Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 119

12/29/2015 10:04 PM

In Ontario, Canada, you are allowed to pro-rate electricity charges by square footage or other general measure, but if you want to measure each persons useage, you have to install a meter for each user.

A friend of mine had a ten plex, so he pro rated. Then he got complaints from those that had no air conditioners in summer and no heaters in winter, as they could not figure out why their bills were so high. The people with air an extra heaters grinned, as they were getting a free ride. So he said meters for all, at your cost, now they all pay the $80 bi-monthly fee, plus their metered useage.

All tenants costs are less than the bi-monthly fee, so that exercise more than doubled their costs. The hogs with heat and air got whacked as well, even more so.

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194

12/30/2015 1:13 AM

Define "hydro".

If you're talking about electric power, how do you know it comes from hydroelectric sources?

If you are talking electric power, there's no such thing as 2-phase - anywhere. No wonder you can't find 2-phase meters - anywhere!

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #7

12/30/2015 4:21 AM

Not quite true. Somewhere (in Pennsylvania, iirc) there is still a real 2-phase system with 90-degree separation. That makes it sufficient to start motors of the right type.

It didn't take long for Steinmetz and/or Tesla to improve the idea to 3-phase.

In general, though, 2-phase is nonexistent.

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #8

12/30/2015 4:36 AM

Thanks for the clarification.

In reply to #9

12/30/2015 5:53 AM

It's a historical tidbit, basically. I don't even remember how I learned of it. (Nor how long it might still last.)

Plus, it gives me a chance to plug Steinmetz as much as or more than Tesla.

There is an excellent play, "A Peep into the Twentieth Century", that dramatizes the Edison/Westinghouse DC/AC contentions.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 202
In reply to #8

12/31/2015 12:10 AM

Tornado-

Yes, it is in what is called Inner Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. Also known sometimes as the "City of Brotherly Love" and the place where the Declaration of Libery was signed.

There was quite a discussion on this in a blog posted 12/16/15, 110 volt Phase Question. There were several good technical explanations and some common sense answers about two phase. If he refers to my contribution #26 it may help him understand why he has single phase (with a center-tap) and not two phase.

Good Luck, Old Salt

Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 33

12/30/2015 7:27 AM

If I am a paying 'Guest' at a cottage I am renting...I expect it to be furnished with Hydro at no additional cost whatever 'Hydro' is....

I suspect many of your 'guests' feel the same way and probably will rent somewhere else next year.

12/31/2015 9:50 AM

I hope that any meters bought are properly designed to work on US 220 VAC, working with two HOT ends of a single phase can be dangerous for the uninitiated. Its killed a lot of US citizens already.....

UK built meters for example are not usually correctly designed for the USA.....they expect one line to be grounded, not a point somewhere between them the two connections!!!

There needs to be a circuit breaker (or similar) that "breaks" both lines simultaneously in the event of an over current or a short to ground.

The US citizens here will know what is best.

Why can the meter not be designed to run on 120 VAC?

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161

12/31/2015 11:29 AM

No such animal, but you can make it "meter" electrical use by demanding your cottage customers use pennies dropping through a slot that "make" the contact (you can even still install a fuse box downstream of this). If the customers drop enough pennies through the slot fast enough, they could even watch TV.

I think you should be horse-whipped for even thinking about making the customers pay for electricity above and beyond the Pocono cottage rental fees. What a gouger you are. Good luck getting any business at all. If the problem has been customers using too much leckityleck, then maybe you could (1) install a timer on the cottage electrical connection that is apparently limited to so many active hours per day, but how to get the timer to run only when the user is pulling current....ideas anyone??, or (2) do the electrical the way minions would: install a treadmill and a banana hanging from a string just out of reach, put an alternator on the treadmill, and a battery/inverter bank. Buddy, Buddy, Banana, Banana!!! Of course having the instructions in Minion would also help get the children involved in generating their own "juice".

If this is for some white supremacist camp in Idaho, I suggest you re-weigh your options from an inverted viewpoint: tuck your Nazi head between your legs and kiss your arse goodbye.

Good Answers: 80

01/06/2016 12:47 PM

Many seem to be thinking Parkway1 is trying to charge for electricity.

My read is that the OP wants to charge for water (hydro). Maybe there is a cistern or some other limited water supply that OP wants to discourage the overuse of.

OP can you clarify?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (4); aurizon (1); Beenaround (3); Brave Sir Robin (1); James Stewart (1); jhowdy (1); lyn (1); Massey (1); Mikerho (2); Mr. small (1); old salt (1); SHOCKHISCAN (1); SolarEagle (1); Tornado (3)

Previous in Forum: Problem In Parallel Operation Of Transformers   Next in Forum: Dover Hydraulic 2 Landing Elevator 1976 Vintage.

Advertisement