Previous in Forum: Real-Life Application of a quadratic function   Next in Forum: Steels prices
Close
Close
Close
71 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 15

Cork Removal

08/31/2007 6:45 PM

Is there any way to remove a cork from a bottle without pushing it in or by using a bottle-opener? (I'm being cheap)

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

Re: Cork Removal

08/31/2007 7:28 PM

The correct thing to do would be to reply with a question.

What colour, type and year?

I haven't tried pushing it in yet (wine should also be almost incompressible).

A friend of mine remove a champaign cork or corks with a head with a sword.

Then you could always try the ketchup trick. Hit the bottom of the bottle with the palm of the hand. (or get somebody else to do it)

Alternative buy cardboard or aluminium foil containers.

Cheers!!

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #1

09/02/2007 12:57 AM

Opening the bottle with the sword is called "saboring" and it works. This is not for the faint hearted to try. Can get a little messy with a sparkling wine. Cheers!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662

09/01/2007 4:04 AM

The party will be over by the time you get any useful replies.

Get the biggest coarsest woodscrew you can find out of your shed/tool box etc a screwdriver and a pair of pliers.

Just nibble away at it with a scalpel...should work up a thirst.

Gerbil on a stick?

Burn it out.

Drill it out.

Drill 1/4" hole bost of the way in, stick in a long piece of dowel or an old broken arrow shaft (wadda ya mean we don't all have broken arrow shaft lying about in the garage?) Wait over night for the glue to dry and pull it out.

Score around under the cork with a glass cutter and smite it hard (or get Hendrik's mate to do it )

Give it a 'hard stare' it may just pop out and run away (I bet Mrs Cat could do that!)

Fresh out of ideas now! Time for more tea and toast. I hope it's a decent wine!

Del

United Kingdom - Member - Olde Member!! Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 45

09/01/2007 8:18 AM

What about heating the bottle up to boil the wine (sob) and hope that the internal pressure forces the cork out before blowing the bottle up!!

As you don't say whether there is anything in the bottle it will probably work.

Or as Del says just break the bottle open!!

John.

Commentator
Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - Grumpy Old Bear

Good Answers: 8

09/01/2007 12:08 PM

Find a large hypodermic syringe and a long slender needle. Inject air into the bottle through the cork and the cork will pop out of the bottle.

United Kingdom - Member - Olde Member!! Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

In reply to #4

09/01/2007 1:26 PM

Nawww there are cork openers that use that method....

John.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #4

09/03/2007 2:39 AM

There was such a unit sold about 30 years ago in the UK at least, but after many bottles burst, the product was stopped I believe, though I was at a party not too long ago where one was still in use. The owner had a good idea when the pressure was enough and would stop pumping before anything untoward could happen.....

But its a very good reason to make sure that your wine bottles lie and are not stood as the cork remains wet, comes out easier and seals the contents better against bacteria over long periods of storage!

I am very interested in other answers.

..... but the cork screws with the flattened threaded parts (as against thick wire)and the two arms to exert force (I have not got a clue of their technical names!) seem to work best of all.....but that was not the required answer to the question either!!!

In reply to #35

09/03/2007 6:44 AM

Yes, I remember my Dad was the proud owner of one of the first ones in the mid 60's it was a dangerous device and used a 'sparklets' soda syphon CO2 gas bottle in the handle, you just inserted the needle through the cork and pressed the button to release gas into the bottle and hoped that the cork moved before the bottle blew up!!!

Needless to say, I don't remember my dad using it with the bottle between his legs!!

John.

Guru

09/01/2007 1:48 PM

Get a wire coat hanger cut out a length of the wire, fold a short piece back on it's self, hammer it over and file it into a barb, form the other end into a nice loop and twist the end around. Spear the cork with it then grab the loop and heave it out.

Or....

Get another bottle, lie 'em down and glue the corks togrther using a good epoxy adhesive. Leave over night. in the morning pull 'em apart, one cork will come out! The remaining bottle will now have a convenient 'handle' on it's cork to allow you to remove that one at a later date, or in about 30 mins if you and your mates like a glass or two.

Do i get a prize yet or are you looking for someting more outandish.

Take bottle of wine to top of ACME Anvil Co building...... sorry gotta go there's a road runner coming....

Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - Popular Science - Weaponology -

Good Answers: 39
In reply to #6

09/04/2007 5:48 PM

Acme Anvil Co. does in fact have a product that should work well for this application. You could purchase a package of holes (small size). If they happen to have a size that is exactly the same diameter of the cork, all the better. (I'm not sure if they come in metric sizes to fit non-U.S. wine bottles). Actually, I would probably buy the Assorted Size package. They are good to keep in the kitchen drawer for all kinds of uses.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #52

09/04/2007 5:55 PM

Mine fell right through the kitchen draw..

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #53

09/04/2007 5:58 PM

Holey Shit, did it damage anything?

Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - Popular Science - Weaponology -

In reply to #54

09/04/2007 6:11 PM

It's wholly true that it probably just kept going. I heard that "The hole truth is halfway through the world before it got its trousers on".

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #57

09/05/2007 3:03 AM

Close but no Cigar!!! As usual!!

In reply to #53

09/04/2007 6:21 PM

Perhaps you didn't read all of the instructions on the package. I'm pretty sure that it states that you have to place them with the face of the hole facing down, when not in use.

Common mistake ...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #58

09/04/2007 6:25 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll store 'em right way up, next to my round tuit (Mrs Cat bought it for my Birthday)

In reply to #59

09/04/2007 6:32 PM

I've got a round tuit several times over the years!

.... not recently though ....

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

09/01/2007 11:31 PM

Great question -- if you need to ask this switch to Pepsi with a pop top or --- Bud even better.

Register to Reply
Participant

09/01/2007 11:31 PM

Great question and here is a way to make a easy $20 on a bet at any party. It works, always had, always will.

Take a cloth napkin or thin towel, slide in a corner through the neck, and jiggle the bottle so the cork nicely lays linearly with the neck in the folds of the napkin. Get a firm grip on the towel, pull it strongly (not for girly men), and out it all comes. Never broke a bottleneck yet

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #8

09/02/2007 6:50 AM

What

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 49
In reply to #17

09/02/2007 6:56 AM

I second, "What?!"

In reply to #19

09/02/2007 7:54 AM

I'm guessing that one may be an answer to the related question - "how do you remove a cork that has been pushed inside a bottle?"

But on the original question I am told you can hold a wine bottle upside down and slam the bottom with your hand - the cork will apparently work its way out far enough to grab it. Either I've been led astray, or I've never been game to hit it hard enough, as I haven't ever got it to work.

I usually push the cork inside but have also smashed the top off on occasions - a little tap on a sharp rock will do it. Any broken glass sinks to the bottom (one hopes).

Otherwise buy screw-top wine.

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #23

09/03/2007 5:42 AM

I saw this in the National Geo program "MAD LABS". By pounding the base of a wine bottle on a tree trunk (insulated with a towel), the guy eventually coaxed the cork out of the bottle.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 6

09/01/2007 11:37 PM

"Is there any way to remove a cork from a bottle without pushing it in or by using a bottle-opener? (I'm being cheap)"

There is a commercial opener that uses a hypodermic needle stuck through the cork so that the hand pump attatched can increase the internal pressure and PUSH the cork out!

Don't try this with a glass hypo syringe, as it could result in nasty cuts.

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #9

09/03/2007 5:04 AM

VACUUM!

Participant

09/01/2007 11:55 PM

Is there any way to remove a cork from a bottle without pushing it in or by using a bottle-opener? (I'm being cheap)

ANSWER:the simplest&fastest&cheapest way to get out the cork from the bottle without to damage both the bottle and cork, is to use a strong and sharp rope 2 mm diameter cotton of 2-3 length of bottle height. Join ends and introduce the loop inside, hook the cork in the loop, reverse bottle upside-down and easily orient the cork along the bottle's neck and finish the job.

Let me known about your result

dragan_gdf@yahoo.com

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 243

09/02/2007 12:52 AM

It's not quite clear if you are talking about a new bottle in good condition, or what to do when the top half of the cork breaks off, (a common occurrence with older wines).

for the latter case, dragan (post 10) has the general idea, although I've had better success (faster results) with a loop of fine wire (piano or nichrome) than with string or heavy thread (don't think I'd use the word 'rope' here).

For the former case, I guess you really ARE being cheap; If you can afford to buy a bottle of wine, you can afford some form of cork remover. Are you familiar with two buck chuck (Charles Shaw) - then go to the local 99 cent store and buy a really cheap (made in china) corkscrew.

Now if it's the third case, where you went to your picnic out in the country and realized that you forgot the corkscrew, I've succeeded with a pocketknife and considerable patience (around and around just a bit at a time).

Or, just bring it here, and I'll gladly open it for you!

Dick

09/02/2007 1:05 AM

This is really STUPID and I am really stupid for responding A star for all of you

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Power-User

09/02/2007 1:58 AM

Having been stuck with a fresh bottle, a pretty girl, and no mundane corkscrew, I fabricated a pincer type cork remover with a length of coathanger wire bent into a u-shape. The young lady was less impressed by the field-improvised Durex analogue, but that's another story

09/02/2007 6:01 AM

Drill a 1/8 dia. hole in the cork. Insert a barbed wallboard anchor and pull it out w/pliers. Otherwise, get one of the cheapo plastic corkscrews which they give away at liquor stores.

09/02/2007 6:38 AM

What's the problem? By the timbre of the question, I would say, just unscrew the cap.

Dang! No wonder you've been having problems!

09/02/2007 6:52 AM

A kitchen utensils store, a wine shop or even some grocerys sell a two tined fork, almost always in a metal sheath. The fork tines are wide and slide down between the cork and the bottle glass. Once inserted alongside the cork - give it a twist and pull. If it's a reasonably good cork it draws intact and can be reused - but usually inverted.

Enjoy!

bobguz

In reply to #18

09/02/2007 6:59 AM

I have one, and once in a while inserting the tines will push the cork into the bottle, which isn't a big deal, considering when the bottle is inverted to pour, the cork floats out of the way.

In reply to #20

09/02/2007 7:14 AM

Vermin, your cork is drying out and shrinking. Wine bottles should be stored on their side actully tipped forward a bit. It keeps the cork moist. Sometimes the two tines must be finessed along the glass for proper insertion and withdrawal. And now and then you will still push a cork into the bottle.

bobguz

In reply to #21

09/02/2007 7:53 AM

"Vermin, your cork is drying out and shrinking."

I didn't know it showed. Sorry!!!

Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #22

09/02/2007 10:47 AM

Why would one want to open a bottle of wine? Unless of course you had fish and chips..............you require the wine for vinegar.

Cheers! I think I'll have a beer, or scotch, or rum, or brandy, or all of them.

Maybe I am uncoutth, but who drinks wine???

APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

In reply to #25

09/02/2007 10:59 AM

MOBI, Sharkles appears to be an attractive female named Kate, so I would suppose she likes wine. But her best bet for opening the bottle is to find a healthy man to open it for her using his thumbs to protect the cork for resealing the half empty bottle.

In reply to #26

09/02/2007 12:03 PM

Attractive young ladies also drink beer as well.

Sharkles may prefer a beer, this is why she needs to know how to open the wine..........to put on her fish and chips!!!

In reply to #22

09/04/2007 6:02 PM

They make a pill for that now, I hear ...

Register to Reply
Guru

09/02/2007 10:27 AM

heat the bottle to boiling, hehehehe.

09/02/2007 11:59 AM

I can't believe this. Now I know why people laugh at engineers making things so complex! I am one too, and trust me, the napkin thing works. Full corks, 1/2 corks, old bottles, new bottles, whatever. I have even done it with 2 corks in the bottle at the same time. No need for a $500,000 R&D budget!!!

The only tip I forgot to mention is to make the bets after the second or third bottle. Your partygoers will be much more willing to up the ante LOL!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #27

09/02/2007 12:12 PM

I think the 'what?' comments referred to the somewhat unclear description.

Good Answers: 243
In reply to #27

09/02/2007 2:18 PM

You are the second one to mention the napkin thing, which is news to me. Please give a bit more detail. Do you stuff a corner of the napkin between one side of the cork and the glass?

I've opened a lot of bottles (made my own every year but one since '73), using a lot of different implements; but need to understand this one!

Thanks

Dick

In reply to #27

09/02/2007 2:38 PM

I think a lot of the answers are to do with removing a cork that is already pushed inside the bottle.

Not quite what I thought the question was about... But nothing new to have answers that have already been posted or to have answers to questions that weren't asked, I guess...

John.

Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

09/02/2007 4:34 PM

Nice lady may have hairpin - use hairpin to dig out cork.

Nice lady may have something silky - use it to filter out cork.

Nice lady may have - Who needs wine anyway?

Rules for nice man: do not waste the moment have backup bottles available.

I am going to suggest plan B. In SA we have a liqueur called Amarula. It is mixed with fresh cream and the taste of the marula fruit. Nice lady will love it and it comes in a screw cap.

09/02/2007 4:40 PM

If you wish to drink the wine, then sufficient vacuum will remove the cork. (and make a mess), or if you just want the cork out, then use acid. :)

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

09/02/2007 4:57 PM

This is absolutely on topic...but has little to do with engineering. To see a really unique wine opener go to youtube.com and search for "freds wine opener" and put the three words in quotes

Register to Reply
Participant

09/03/2007 9:09 AM

You need two people to remove the cork, one will hold the bottle upside down (preferrably between his knees), the other repeatedly hits the bottle on the bottom (very hard) with the heal section of a soft type sneaker until half the cork is exposed. You then use your teeth to pull the cork out.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #39

09/03/2007 10:07 AM

It's easier if you have a can and a ring pull cap........tastes a lot better too!

Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 18

09/04/2007 8:38 AM

There are way too many suggestions to read, and I don't want to be redundant, so email me with your mailing address, and I'll give you a nice wine bottle opener for your birthday or any other holiday of your choosing -- the next one 'round here will be Halloween, I think.

I bought several of those cute little semi-automatic cork screws several years ago. I gave away all but one for Christmas gifts for two years in a row. I don't know any more wine drinkers who don't have one now.

In reply to #41

09/04/2007 10:12 AM

Bill, are you trying to make people give up drinking altogether?.......or what.

Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

In reply to #43

09/04/2007 10:26 AM

I guess . . . Those things are supposed to work, but I sure get thirsty before I can get a danged bottle open with one.

I have a giant syringe with a heavy-duty needle on it (for giving elephants a shot of serum I suppose) that I tried to use once also. I didn't have a vise large enough to push the plunger down, so I kept digging until I found my ol' standby waiter's corkscrew in my car's console.

In reply to #44

09/04/2007 10:53 AM

Amazing isn't it, how these old fashioned things work. Better than these new fangled gadgets.

Anyhow Bill, what happened? Why were you looking for a corkscrew? Had you run out of beer and you couldn't find a pub that was open, boy you must have been thirsty to drink "vinegar."

In reply to #45

09/04/2007 11:04 AM

Nah . . . I had some family and friends over one night a few years ago, and they brought a few bottles of wine with them. 'Course they asked me for my cork screw, whcih I didn't have, and that led to the adventure. After that, I went out and bought a bunch of those "cute little wine bottle openers" I referred to earlier and gave them out for Christmas.

In reply to #46

09/04/2007 11:29 AM

Hey! We have a mate of yours over here in Oz, some bloke who goes by the name of Bush.

What does he do for a crust????

I bet he drinks "vinegar," mind you he wouldn't need to know how to open a bottle of wine, after all he has over 650 hangers on with him.

In reply to #47

09/04/2007 12:31 PM

"Hey! We have a mate of yours over here in Oz, some bloke who goes by the name of Bush."

Hey MOBI, why not hang on to him for a while, we could use a break.

In reply to #48

09/07/2007 8:58 AM

Thanks for the offer chtank, but , no thanks.

I hear that he is a true blue American, not a fair dinkum Aussie, you can have him back with another present; Little Johnnie Howard, our Prime Minister. He's a real yes man as far as Bush is concerned, however, I think his thirteen year run is about to come to an abrupt end at the next election in a couple of months, so you may as well have him.

09/04/2007 9:32 AM

This works; try using a pointy knife with a .375 in (aprox) wide blade. Center the blade in the cork and push it with a a wiggle motion, thus cutting your way into the cork as much as possible then turn the knife slowly until the cork begins to move then pull as you rotate the knife slowly, the cork should follow the knife. Cheers!!!!!

Register to Reply
Guru

09/04/2007 1:22 PM

I am still curious about the "napkin method". I have no idea what was being described. Does anyone know what he was talking about? I'd appreciate a clearer description of the steps involved, if anyone has used this method.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #49

09/04/2007 1:26 PM

Out of box, I'm sure he was talking about removing a cork that already had been pushed inside a bottle....

where you get the cloth to partially encircle the cork and then it can be pulled out with out trouble.

John.

In reply to #50

09/04/2007 5:33 PM

That was my take too, rightly or wrongly.....

United States - Member - I am a Yankee Doodle Boy. Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Old School is the best school. Safety - ESD - Safety Mgr that keeps the peace Hobbies - DIY Welding - My Motto:

Good Answers: 26

09/04/2007 5:58 PM

My solution is to buy wind in a box.

Course I rarely drink.

Spain - Member - New Member

09/06/2007 3:54 AM

Sharkles, have you got the cork out of the bottle yet?

Good Answers: 15
In reply to #62

09/06/2007 8:17 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions! When I asked this question on Friday I never expected to get so many responses. Unfortunately I was too impatient that day and pushed the cork in (not what I really wanted to do). But, this weekend I plan on putting some of these cork removal methods to the test. I will definitely let everyone know how it goes

09/06/2007 5:16 AM

Sharkles: change your man! Being cheap is one thing. Having style is something else. What self-respecting dinner date doesn't have a corkscrew in his kitchen drawer? Move upmarket!

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 115

09/06/2007 5:45 AM

hmmm. I did once hear you can tie some string around the bottle neck, light it, then tap the neck to break it. Sounds a bit risky though. Wine box's are a safer bet, since you can also pull out the foil-like bag and squeeze out the last dregs (or use it as an intravenous drip if feeling drowsy). This guy does good, just for sound effects alone. On a technicality, with sparkling stuff, are you not supposed to take the bottle off the cork ? In other words, hold the cork and screw the bottle. Some people say that drunken elephants is a myth, but what the hey, they can't open bottles.

In reply to #64

09/06/2007 12:08 PM

All hail to the Linkmeister..

That plastic bag trick...cool

Del

Location: The cigarette-stained drunkard living in the cardboard box outside Marks & Sparks delivery entrance, Eastgate Shopping Centre, Basildon.

09/07/2007 5:19 AM

Never 'ad trouble getting a bottle open.

<Hic!>

In reply to #67

09/07/2007 6:20 AM

...just keeping it full eh?

09/07/2007 11:26 AM

Like Taco Bell, you need to think outside the bun. Don't buy wine in a bottle, buy one of the good boxed wines available these days - no cork and some have nice little spigots for decanting!

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #70

09/12/2007 12:43 PM

Sharkles needs to do a little more cork soaking.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 71 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (5); Anonymous Poster (7); Bill (3); bobguz (2); BrianH22652 (1); chtank (3); Del the cat (6); dkwarner (2); double_j_b (1); dragan_gdf (1); Electroman (5); FKIA (1); Hendrik (2); IBGrizzly (1); James P. Hollen (1); Kris (1); ktel60 (1); maxmutant (1); MOBI (7); nutsandscrewed (2); Out of Box Experience (6); qfteer (1); senator46 (1); Sharkles (1); Solrac (1); Stinky Pete (1); Stirling Stan (1); user-deleted-5 (2); vermin (4)

Previous in Forum: Real-Life Application of a quadratic function   Next in Forum: Steels prices
You might be interested in: Water Coolers, Chuck Jaws, Laboratory Dispensers

Advertisement