Previous in Forum: Sigmascope 500 Shadowgraph machine   Next in Forum: Electrocution
Close
Close
Close
Page 1 of 3: « First 1 2 3 Next > Last »
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

The "Funny Translation" Blog for all Languages & Cultures!!

11/29/2007 5:07 AM

Hi,

we all realize that for example that England and the USA are two countries, separated by a common language.(to misquote somebody that I have forgotten the name of!).

The two languages have grown apart and if it was not for TV and films, I think in some areas we would not be understanding each other any more!!

This is similar to the German language and its differences between Germany (even different areas of Germany) and its close German speaking neighbours Austria and part of Switzerland....

Several other CR4 people have asked for a Blog where translations and meanings of words and sayings and any other differences that crop up from time to time can be discussed and explained.....

We want to open it for all problems of this type in any language, not just German and English!! French for example has some wonderful sayings (Ma petite Chou!) being a well known endearment from a Frenchman to his girlfriend or wife (My Little Cabbage!).....and I am sure that many middle and far eastern CR4 members can bring even better sayings for us all......

So please all of you, post what ever you like, of course the funnier the better! I only ask that you do please use the spelling checker for the English part each time to make sure that those of you who do not have English as a first language, have a better chance of understanding all of what gets written here. Some of the unchecked postings have such bad spelling, even I do not have a clue what is being said!!!

If you are in disagreement with this blog, blame Kris as he was too lazy (playing in his bathroom!) to do it himself!!!! (As though I have time with a kitchen needing two walls built and two knocked down, a window replacement and a door to be bricked up are not enough for me alone at this time!!!)

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818

Re: The "Funny Translation" Blog for all Languages & Cultures!!

11/29/2007 5:37 AM

<we all realize that for example that England and the USA are two countries, separated by a common language>

It's a bit closer to home than that. England and Scotland are two countries divided by a common language....

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #1

11/29/2007 6:42 AM

I'll second that ...

Our family moved to Fife (in Scotland) from the north London area when I was 14. As the only pupil in a school of 1500 with an English accent, I had to learn quickly!

I'll never forget the bewildered expression on my Mother's face one day a few months after we'd moved. On a (very rare) hot, dry & sunny day, there was a street-sweeper passing, plying his broom to the accumulated debris in the gullies.

Me: "'sanawfy stoor afae thon, ano?"

Sweeper: "Aye, 'sa sair fecht, ano?"

(Trans (loosely):

Me: "Theres an awful lot of dust coming from that, isn't there?"

Sweeper: "Yes, it's horrible, isn't it?")

(BTW - 'Aye' was the only word the spell-checker didn't object to)

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #1

11/29/2007 11:00 AM

I've borrowed ER's pedant hat. Scotland is not exactly part of the United Kingdom. That big valley that encloses loch Ness ? Well Scotland bashed into us some millennia ago ( OK, It may have been the other way round). It's not a rift valley like in S Africa, they bloody invaded ! Our separation from the French was somewhat more recent ( not that I'm laughing or anything , some idiot built a hole.)

As an initial contribute, you can't ****** beat this ; http://www.youswear.com/index.asp?language=German

(set to German out of respect to Andy for starting this one. It's fully adjustable.)

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76
In reply to #15

11/29/2007 11:45 AM

What about French?

In reply to #17

11/29/2007 12:06 PM

Precisely, what about the French ! You do have some rather nice cheese though, can I have some ? Swap you for a bit of 'Red Leicester'. I'm being 'brie'f here. Oh gosh, les Ros beef is burning ! Eat my shorts !

United Kingdom - Member - Olde Member!! Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 45

11/29/2007 6:44 AM

I would think a common English saying must be difficult for a foreigner to understand such as:

"Break a leg!" in English means good luck.... but I wonder how many times a foreigner must have thought it was an insult!!!

Funnily, I had one similarly misunderstood from an Italian ebay buyer who emailed me with something totally nothing to do with anything !! I had to ask on the ebay forums for any help in deciphering it and Yes it really meant the same, "Good luck" but it read as a sort of insult to me!!

John.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
In reply to #3

11/29/2007 10:20 AM

<"Break a leg!" in English means good luck.... but I wonder how many times a foreigner must have thought it was an insult!!!>

This style of sentiment originates from practices in the theatre, where it is considered a bad omen to wish a performer the more-appropriate 'good luck' style of sentiment before going on stage.

United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #10

02/06/2008 2:37 AM

To be more precise <removes pedant's hat from Kris's paws> "Break A Leg" is actually a term of good luck.

The leg in question is not part of the actor's body, but part of the mechanism that raises and lowers the curtain, particulalry in a prosenium arch theatre. As we all know, excessive use of something can cause it to wear out - so when the phrase "break a leg" is used in theatre, it's actually shorthand for "may your performance be so good that you have so many curtain calls* that the mechanism which raises and lowers the curtain fails through overuse".

Break a leg is soo much quicker to say!

*Curtain Call: the raising and lowering of the curtain during the audience's applause - the more of these there are, the more the audience liken the performance.

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #268

02/06/2008 3:10 AM

Golly!

Must tell Small - she's mad on stage stuff (drama, dance etc.). She's always had a bit of trouble with the "break a leg.." concept - especially when someone says it before a ballet exam (with one examiner, 2 or 3 students and a pianist, and where, with your enlightenment, we now realize it is totally inappropriate!).

Ta!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

11/29/2007 7:04 AM

A constant source of Anglo German problems is the word "Gift", in German it means poison! After the second World War was over, many Germans thought England and the USA were trying to kill them off with their "Gift" parcels!!!!

The word "Spanner" (or wrench in American) in German is a "Peeping Tom", at least that one causes a few laughs as in "Pass me the Peeping Tom!!"

In reply to #4

11/29/2007 7:28 AM

<The word "Spanner" (or wrench in American) in German is a "Peeping Tom", at least that one causes a few laughs as in "Pass me the Peeping Tom!!">

An adjustable wrench is:

• An 'adjustable spanner'
  • An 'adjustable wrench'
  • A 'fitsall' ["fits all" nuts]
  • A 'shifter' [Chemical manufacturing - it shifts anything]
  • An 'AFS' ["any f.... size"]

depending on the industry, never mind the country!

Oh, deep joy! This thread could go anywhere (except into Kris' old bath.... ) !

In reply to #5

11/29/2007 9:43 AM

Many thanks, I can see that you are going to be a very invaluable contributor here....

Lets see if we can exceed the "Bath Blog" number of posts!!!

In reply to #6

11/29/2007 10:18 AM

Here's how it's done:

Let's see if we can run a recursive thread!

In reply to #7

11/29/2007 10:19 AM

Yea, Let's see if we can run a recursive thread!

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #8

11/29/2007 10:20 AM

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #9

11/29/2007 10:21 AM

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #9

11/29/2007 10:21 AM

Guru

In reply to #12

11/29/2007 10:25 AM

Get the idea?

This is also the quick route to guruhood (if you don't post anon.).

Can you get busted for wasting bandwidth in Cyberspace?

In reply to #14

11/29/2007 11:06 AM

Depends who's watching.

This one can be good , but it will never reach the giddy hights of my bath thread. Oh ****, I just pimped my post again. Well some lucky person will want to make 1000 won't they !? "Auf die knie, und heul'/winsel' um Vergebung" or something like that !

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #8

12/01/2007 10:54 PM

Mrs. Duja, honey I know it is you. After 28 years of marriage I ought to know because you will say 4 times everything so I register. Honey, Cr4 was my only place I thought you will not come in. Rats, now I've to find Cr5 to be alone.

In reply to #6

11/29/2007 10:23 AM

The infection came in from Del.

In reply to #5

12/01/2007 2:32 PM

Maybe we should persuade "the team" to cut out the current spellcheck, to stop all the UK/US english fuss, and substitute this one

Hobbies - Musician - Jimmy Page Wanna be (Who isn't?) Popular Science - Weaponology - Navy Fire Controlman and LCAC Craftmaster United States - Member - Member

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #5

12/03/2007 7:26 PM

An adjustable wrench is:..........

In the US, commonly known as a(an):

• Crescent Wrench.
  • all sixteenths. (Not sure what the metric version would be. All mm?)

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #97

12/10/2007 3:14 PM

(Not sure what the metric version would be. All mm?)

metric adjustable

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #192

12/10/2007 3:31 PM

A great newbie mechanic minimum IQ test.

I would be working a metric machine & ask for a cresent wrench.

upon receiving the tool, proclaim loudly No NO I need a metric one. I can only remember 1 time where the victim actually noticed that the handle is marked for the span in inches on 1 side & milimeters[MM] on the other.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #193

12/10/2007 5:59 PM

One poor chap I once sent out is still probably looking for a 'left-handed' spanner. I am still looking for some brand of constructional fibre by the brand name 'moral' .

United Kingdom - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: South-east corner of Spain 50 48 49.24N 2 28 27.70W
Good Answers: 31
In reply to #194

12/10/2007 6:38 PM

I remember the days of sending the newbie to the stores to get some sparks for the grinder or to get the long weight (wait)! Then there was the skirting-board ladder and the sky hook which every self respecting electrician would have stowed in the van ready to be fetched by the newbie! Being honest, I got tricked into the long wait to the amusement of all on the shop floor!

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

In reply to #195

12/10/2007 9:20 PM

& of course, no one who works on anything that runs on electricity, should ever be w/out extra cans of smoke. Because after all that's why things stop working.

All the smoke came out.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662
In reply to #196

12/11/2007 2:39 AM

I use these

In reply to #197

12/11/2007 8:51 AM

It's just so hard to get the end plates back on after you've refilled the windings!

Guess I better go break a little tub

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #200

12/11/2007 10:06 AM

Del is just jealous ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SXWgC0SLCA

I want to see 1000. Post or you'll pay ! My trivial cast iron could make history - play a part folks. I know, I'm bathetic, but it's the only way you'll shut me up.

Canada - Member -

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #192

12/11/2007 6:46 AM

Don't laugh, I used to own one of those(and maybe still do - somewhere in one of the toolboxes)....(adjustable wrench with metric markings alongside the jaws).

The confused look on my buddies' faces when I asked for my metric adjustable was priceless

Canada - Member -

In reply to #198

12/11/2007 7:06 AM

Damn....should have read the rest of the replies before putting my own

Oh well...I guess we all like the practical jokes (until we are the butt of them, that is...)

Good Answers: 6

11/30/2007 4:30 AM

The recommendation for using a spelling checker is praiseworthy (English pyjamas vs. US pajamas) but what about syntax and punctuation?

Andy Germany's first paragraph includes:

wrong 'we' instead of 'We'

wrong 'language.(to'

wrong 'of!).'

wrong 'of' at the end of a sentence, which should not end with a preposition.

Yes, I realize (realise) that I'm being pedantic and hyperconventional, but spelling. grammar, syntax and usage are all conventions that help unambiguous communication and should be judiciously used and not abused.

In reply to #19

11/30/2007 8:23 AM

This is true, but where there are so many people from different backgrounds here it may be quite difficult for all of them to use proper English punctuation since in languages like German there are such oddities as transposed word order and things like that. I think--for the most part-- that we can decipher the meanings from most of the posters, although it would be much easier if everyone had perfect grammer I don't think I've met anyone in the US that does (apart from English teachers).

Register to Reply
Commentator
United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #20

11/30/2007 9:02 AM

I forgot to log in!

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #19

11/30/2007 8:26 AM

"but spelling. grammar, syntax and usage. . ."

"The boy is about as sharp as a bag of wet mice." Foghorn Leghorn.

"Not the sharpest mouse in the bag." My buddy Chad.

In reply to #21

11/30/2007 10:32 AM

"As dumb as a bag full of hammers" said George Clooney's character in the movie "Oh Brother Where Art Thou".

Good Answers: 7
In reply to #23

11/30/2007 11:01 AM

As funny as a lead door, only not as heavy! My dad when I was young.

Power-User

In reply to #24

11/30/2007 5:15 PM

Funny stuff ! My dad used to say "dense as a lead door". I wonder if both dad's expressions came from a common and misquoted source?

In reply to #32

11/30/2007 5:59 PM

Funny stuff ! My dad used to say "dense as a lead door". I wonder if both dad's expressions came from a common and misquoted source?

..Very possibly. I've seen some weird stuff here on CR4. Mainly typed by myself, but ya never know....

In reply to #32

12/01/2007 5:02 AM

Language comes into this again, I am Dutch and the said expression is badly translated (by me)

Funny here is not the "funny" you can laugh at, I meant the funny as in "that is ridiculous!" funny which is more like the dense you pointed out.

No doubt it has a common origin, lots of these did and became twisted by interpretations due to language barriers.

Language has always bothered, sorry I meant interested, me and I have a few from Dutch / English I will share here later.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #36

12/03/2007 12:51 PM

That is like the common saying," as dumb as a box of rocks", which you hear quite frequently on television in reference to dumb reality show women. I am not sure why I do not seem to hear it applied more frequently tomen, there is no reason for the current differentiation in use. My grandparents use that statement, as do many older persons, across the board. (of course there are a lot of Paris Hiltons out there on reality TV, so..)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #94

12/03/2007 3:15 PM

I am not sure but I think you might be a woman but not blonde!

That is why you replied as guest I suppose, never mind we shall never know.

Can we call you Matilda?

Power-User
Hobbies - Musician - Jimmy Page Wanna be (Who isn't?) Popular Science - Weaponology - Navy Fire Controlman and LCAC Craftmaster United States - Member - Member

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #94

12/03/2007 7:31 PM

I like to use "If his I.Q. was 2 points higher, he would be a napkin." Got that from an old National Lampoon comedy album. Of course, that's the American napkin. I believe the Brit napkin has a somewhat more southernly meaning? Or is that Aussie? Damn, that's 3 countries divided by a common language!

In reply to #98

12/04/2007 5:38 AM

At the risk of upsetting anyone, "mad as a barrel of frogs" is often said in the UK. It applies to any completely mad situation, though I don't know how it arose. Much as I like to poke fun at my French neighbours, it's not a joke upon them. The image simply conjures up a diabolical situation. "Like a bulldog chewing a wasp" is also applied in various situations, often like those when you've just delivered progress report to senior management. I had a hilarious exchange with a senior guy once in which he said " Kris, you're always telling me things I don't want to hear", " Well sorry **** , but I'm a fault finding Engineer here. It's my bloody job to find out where the **** is occurring and bring it to your attention so we can sort it out"... " So I assume you won't personally write a reference for me then ?". This was many years ago, but it still cracks me up thinking about it. He did by the way, but it was a long time back.

In reply to #99

12/04/2007 5:59 AM

There are several toxicological explanations for 'Mad as a hatter'. None experimentally proved as far as I know

In reply to #100

12/04/2007 6:08 AM

I think that one is to do with mercury that was used as some part of the felting process. Haven't googed it, but am reasonably certain. The vapours get to ones brain. Where the heck did I leave that phone... in the fridge ...!...OMG, I must be barking ! http://www.barking-dagenham.gov.uk/

In reply to #101

12/04/2007 6:32 AM

Mercury is one. The other, for some reason, is oxalic acid. Another, less plausible, is the damp heat used to set the felt around the head dummies.

Now where is the <enter> button?

Must be age - not vapours.

In reply to #102

12/04/2007 6:47 AM
United Kingdom - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #99

12/04/2007 10:22 AM

Just to add fuel to the fire, Down Southampton way, the expression was 'As mad as a box of frogs!'.

In reply to #104

12/04/2007 10:37 AM

You'd scarce believe it and I hate to advertise, but... http://southampton-pubs.co.uk/frogandfrigate/

In reply to #105

12/04/2007 10:42 AM

I've had many a crazy night in that very bar! The owner, Derek used to play live guitar there! Always the same songs, always the same crazy crowd, we all knew the words, we all got very drunk! I shall go check the page! Cheers Kris, forgotten about that pub!

In reply to #106

12/04/2007 10:46 AM

It's been painted! It used to be a real s**t hole! But it was our s**t hole! Apart from that, it hasen't changed in 25years!

In reply to #107

12/04/2007 10:54 AM

I know those feelings. I was born in a pub (strange but true). Many years later I met a guy who came from the same small village. Apparently the place had been converted to a house. Railway fans may be disappointed by the 'Beeching cuts' but those of us who like a pint of real ale....

In reply to #109

12/04/2007 10:59 AM

One thing I do miss about England is the real ale and the cider! The P*ss they serve here just don't cut the mustard mate!

In reply to #110

12/04/2007 11:06 AM

Ones local 'ale-house' is always a source of fun. Even with your diluted Spanish beer you probably still get a giggle. Think of our poor American chums stuck in Starbucks. Have a mid-day drink in America and they would shoot you. Siesta ? No chance. Come back to Blighty mate ! GB (Scot variety) is bad , but it ain't that bad.

In reply to #110

12/04/2007 12:20 PM

The last time I was in Spain, they served Königs Pils, brought by a lorry from Germany, it was perfectly cooled and served, if you are really stuck, try it!!

Often called Köpi or Koepi without the umlaut.

One of Germany's best beers, or try Leffe Blond from Belgium, about as good again...

In reply to #112

12/04/2007 1:05 PM

Kris, I may have to have a New Year in England! I can feel the hangover coming on already!

Thank you Andy, I shall keep them in mind! I do like a chilled Pils on a hot day! I have to make do with Spanish cider which is not too bad but a bit too sweet!

In reply to #110

12/04/2007 5:45 PM

I was in Worcester Shire about 2.5 years ago and fell in to a romantic involvement with a wonderful cider.

Scrumpy Jack is the shiznit as far as I am concerned.

Translation Shiznit-- Rap slang meaning To be the top of the line, the best.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #114

12/05/2007 4:29 AM

Thats good to hear.

Please spell "Worcester Shire" as "Worcestershire", it looks far better that way......!

In reply to #115

12/05/2007 11:54 AM

That sounds similar to a Suffolk Punch.

In reply to #116

12/05/2007 11:58 AM

Suffolk Punch! Not a local cocktail is it?

In reply to #117

12/05/2007 12:09 PM

Horse or lawnmower, but I think you know this. Have you ever noticed people walking their pets ; they may shout "come here dog", but I never heard anybody shout the female equivalent when calling a pet.. Oddly, people from NE England (Geordies in Newcastle especially) will often call those of opposite gender "pet" as an affectionate name. http://www.geordie.org.uk/

In reply to #118

12/05/2007 12:24 PM

You're right there chuck!

In reply to #119

12/05/2007 12:35 PM

Love a duck ! You probably been to Leicester as well.

Here is a site I just found that people may find of use ; http://www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/sounds/regional-voices/

United States - Member - Charter Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - Charter Member

Good Answers: 73
In reply to #115

12/01/2008 8:07 AM

What's in HP sauce anyway?

In reply to #273

12/01/2008 8:16 AM
  • Water
  • Vinegar
  • Dates
  • Glucose-Fructose
  • Black Strap Molasses
  • Tomato Paste
  • Modified Cornstarch
  • Salt
  • Orange Juice Concentrate
  • Onion
  • Spices
  • Tamarind Extract
  • Apple Juice Concentrate
  • Garlic
  • Chili Peppers
  • Mustard Flour

In reply to #105

12/04/2007 10:49 AM

While contemplating the improbability of Mr Brains post, I though " I know what, I'll see what daft stuff can be goggled" " Hypochondriac Camels". Flipping heck it produced a result! I have yet to find a phrase that can't churn a result on google or any other search engine. Those so inclined can check such stuff as google-whacking etc. Meantime here is the idiot site that my enquiries took me to ; http://www.animalshaveproblemstoo.com/archive.php

Enjoy !

In reply to #19

12/01/2007 5:51 AM

I use the spell checker on most posts, it uses US spelling, but that is not a problem for me as most non English first language people will probably recognize the US version better anyway......

Sadly it does not correct my grammar failures after living abroad so many years.....!

I try and do my best!!

English is my mother tongue, I learnt French at school and spoke it reasonably well till the mid 70's, sadly its got very rusty, as has my Portuguese, learnt while in the Navy, I started to learn German at 35 (much too late), never had time to study it as well as I should have, still have a slight British accent....but if I lost it completely, nobody would know that I am British!!

I can accept critic about my Grammar and spelling, it is not as good as it should be, but I have learnt a total of four languages and I could also make myself understood in Afrikaans and Cantonese years ago, so before you criticise me too much, how many languages have you managed to learn up to now????

In reply to #37

12/01/2007 11:31 AM

My post was not critique. I meant to point out that spell-checking, which you recommended, is not a cure-all. It would not, for instance, recognise 'bed' written instead of 'bad' because both words have a meaning and the usual spell checker does not look at the context in which words are embedded. MS Word also has a syntax checker (mistakes in green) which may fruitfully be consulted to check for capital letters and such like, but it is primitive and should definitely not be blindly followed.

Most people born into a language can easily recognise mistakes made by late learners without being able to explain how they do it. In the early days of machine translation there were many jokes about computers not really understanding what they were translating. For instance, a computer is asked to translate 'The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak' into Russian and then translate the Russian translation back into English. It comes up with 'The Vodka is good but the meat stinks'.

The main problem in badly spelled posts is not ignorance or non-English-speakers who know only technical words in English taken from brochures and manuals and have not absorbed the way these words should be strung together. I think we should gladly accept such posts and we seem to do so. But! SMSese written by native English speakers is probably useful in cellular phone messages, not here. u dnt thnk?

To answer your question. I can speak read and write 2 languages (correctly), read (reasonably well) and speak (not too well) 2 more, read (with difficulty) and speak (not well at all) 2 more, read signs and ask my way in 2 more. Is that more or less? But that's not fair because I'm much older...

In reply to #45

12/01/2007 11:40 AM

****, I have problems with just one language !

Canada - Member -

In reply to #47

12/01/2007 12:29 PM

Now now....I know from previous posts that you at least know a little bit of french...don't be so modest....

French and English over here, French being the mother tongue.....

In reply to #48

12/01/2007 1:16 PM

I'm pasing myself here, it has big potential.

In reply to #47

12/01/2007 5:29 PM

despite this you tell one hell of a tail

Guru

In reply to #52

12/01/2007 5:47 PM

I really should parse myself more. Tried to pass an elephant once - couldn't close the toilet lid. Over in Cornwell they are pasty it. Oh no , it's passed my bed-time !

In reply to #53

12/01/2007 6:02 PM

What is it with you and rest room furniture?

Guru

In reply to #54

12/01/2007 7:01 PM

It's an inability to understand American usage of the word 'bathroom'. Whenever I watch telly and somebody says they are going to 'the bathroom'. I just don't believe it. Call me naive, but they don't go and lie in a big tub for half an hour. I will not be lured into saying what I think they do !

In reply to #55

12/01/2007 7:15 PM

Sympathetic!

Went on site recently, and the bloke said "OK, let's meet up at about 4, and wash up". It was a pretty clean environment (not exactly a clean room, but not too far off). I hadn't left any dirty plates lying around. The "cafeteria" was fully staffed.

He also directed me to the "comfort room".

Took a while to work out what the hell he was talking about.

In reply to #55

12/10/2007 7:42 AM

<Call me naive, but they don't go and lie in a big tub for half an hour.>

Well, it would help if it were in one piece and contained within a building. Broken bits of cast iron in a skip doesn't cut it, somehow.

In reply to #188

12/10/2007 2:13 PM

Broken bits of cast iron will cut, they just don't hold much water ! I'm going to the bathroom, and it doesn't involve a 'number 1' or a 'number 2' .

In reply to #45

12/02/2007 2:25 AM

If thats what you originally meant to say I'm fine with that, that was not what came over, so read it again, it comes over as a small minded "picky" type who only criticises......

Its better to read through what you write and try to be a different pair of eyes when so doing.

If you are older than I, then you are VERY old indeed.......!

In reply to #60

12/02/2007 4:15 AM

What comes over is the responsibility of partly the writer and partly the reader. Text can be badly written and/or badly read.

Previewing comment before it is submitted is a very good idea (not too often done) perhaps because it jeopardises the race towards guru-hood.

True, I am 'very old indeed', which may help experience and judgement. It does not help memory but it does add to the amount of useful and useless information accumulated.

You, I seem to remember, are 57?

In reply to #61

12/02/2007 8:55 AM

Without wanting to get caught in cross-fire, Andy appears to be 5. Respect to you Andy for that. I am a rather pathetic 1. A certain Cat ( who I will no longer mention ) is bloody 12 *! I like you too dovy, so we can all be friends ( apart from the Cat !).

*OK Del, I like you really.

In reply to #63

12/02/2007 9:19 AM

No real danger Kris, after all them's not guns shootin', them's just tongues waggin'.

What's better: 1000 words each in 3 languages or 1500 words each in 2 languages?

Many years ago, Ogden & ? invented BASIC English where BASIC stood (if I still remember) for British American Scientific Inter Communication. They claimed that most needs can be covered using just 1000 words. There were some hilarious translations of Shakespeare (who could not or would not spell, not even his own surname...) and others.

In reply to #65

12/02/2007 9:32 AM

I only just found out that this bunch are American ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduced_Shakespeare_Company

It never stops making me smile when the slightest chat on CR4 can end up with more knowledge. This Shakespearian one may not be especially useful, but it makes me smile all the same. I''m not sure about Ogden etc, but my own proclivities are fully owned up to before. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QBasic .It has something of a 'nerd' following on the net.

In reply to #66

12/02/2007 11:56 AM

Poor shortened 'Ham.

That small language is in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_English.

It seems that I'm not nerd enough to like QBasic but modern Power Basic is a good language, quite useful for communication programming.

In reply to #74

12/02/2007 12:15 PM

You tempt me too much !

10:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC

Gawd, I know, I have a base sense of humour.

20: Goto 10

In reply to #76

12/02/2007 3:02 PM

That was the heroic age of spaghetti programming. There was also FORTRAN for engineers, Pascal for aspiring scientists, COBOL for the servants of the rich and Assembler for the courageous.

In reply to #80

12/02/2007 3:26 PM

Some folk around here use Linux ! Oh the shame. Poor Penguins.

In reply to #80

12/02/2007 3:26 PM

...and what happened to Forth in your list?

In reply to #83

12/02/2007 3:29 PM

That was damn quick ! You obviously weren't LISPing.

In reply to #83

12/03/2007 3:03 AM

Never could succeed in using sophisticated languages.

In reply to #80

12/02/2007 4:08 PM

Real Men use Machine Code

Long hard day.

In reply to #87

12/03/2007 3:06 AM

True! but there are so few...

In reply to #87

12/03/2007 3:23 AM

Hair splitting I know, but I feel that real Men (with Brains) use Assembler - as fast as Machine code (because it is Machine code) but you do not have to re-calculate all the jumps yourself every time you change code (yes I did also use null commands to give me space when I needed it BUT they actually slow the program down a little as well......)

A level even "lower" level for me is using machine code in Basic with Peeks and Pokes......even more likely to make a simple mistake (or a not so simple one!!)

So my vote is for assembler as the best way to get well written code made without causing brain haemorages......

But I have not coded in 15 years or so......except a little with PICs and MPASM...

Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Location: East of Seattle, Washington state Republic of the 50 states of America
Good Answers: 36
In reply to #92

12/03/2007 11:32 AM

Speaking of Assembler, does anyone know a good free web sight to learn Assembler?

I played a little with it but would like to become proficient for 64 bit systems.

The layers of abstraction can be a little confusing but you can't beat the speed.

Brad

In reply to #80

12/05/2007 12:48 PM

Dovi,

Assembly is for the insane. The by-side ("remark") documentation required for the tiniest of programs, drove experienced programmers bonkers.

Some could only return to active programming, when properly medicated. Nuff said.

- Yuval

Power-User

In reply to #121

12/05/2007 2:54 PM

Which language do you prefer?

In reply to #122

12/05/2007 3:58 PM

English! It's the only one I understand to a degree

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

-A- (1); 3Doug (1); Andy Germany (49); Anonymous Poster (10); Bricktop (1); case491 (14); Crabtree (1); CrowdedMill (1); cwarner7_11 (1); Del the cat (6); dovy (12); ducon (7); Electroman (1); English Rose (2); Garthh (21); garyceng (1); Ing. Robert Forbus (1); JimR79 (1); JohnDG (28); Kris (64); LCAC32 (11); Mr. Truman Brain (19); nick name (2); Out of Box Experience (3); PWSlack (5); Rick@cae (4); taejonkwando (2); TexasCharley (1); U V (4)

Previous in Forum: Sigmascope 500 Shadowgraph machine   Next in Forum: Electrocution

Advertisement