Previous in Forum: Another "free-energy" inventor silenced permanently?   Next in Forum: PT Probe For Circuit Setter
Close
Close
Close
Page 1 of 2: « First 1 2 Next > Last »
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 20

Please Describe All Good Ideas

12/12/2007 8:31 AM

I have been reading CR4 for a while now and, I used to try to chime in on the few questions I understood; however, I have since become somewhat jaded.

Most (not all) of the questions seem to fall into a small number of categories.

1) Please describe all good ideas pertaining to what I happen to be thinking about.

2) Please tell me an exact solution to a general problem.

3) Please help me with my homework.

Then there are pages upon pages of discussion regarding the validity of the question and usually someone mentions a cat.

Am I missing something?

-A-

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Interested in everything- see my Profile please APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Hobbies - Musician - Autoharp and Harmonica Hobbies - Hunting - Member Hobbies - Fishing - Member

Location: Christchurch, (The Garden City), South Island, New Zealand
Good Answers: 229

Re: Please describe all good ideas.

12/12/2007 8:55 AM

Hello -A-,

Jade here is called greenstone, the world's finest nephrite.

You only asked 1 question, to which the answer is YES, you have missed the cut and thrust of carefully reasoned debate.

Unfortunately in most places, the answer to a question is generally by consensus, everyone agrees with each other.

As you may have observed, that common failing of consensus answers, is more noticeable among Politicians and the Military.

But here, at CR4, you may find the esoteric, the eerie, the laterally thought out answers, a great sense of humour with some, and plain old vanilla comradeship, to whet your appetite.

So, how about it, now your question has been answered.

t is 2:54am here, and I especially stayed up, because a small bird told me you were going to write, just so you wouldn't feel lonely, left out, or jaded.

I shall return here, in some 6 hours (or so), in the meantime, it is for me.

So...Your reply is appreciated, a touch of wit is a great help, during the wee hours.

You did in your Title for the Topic Thread, ask: "Please describe all good ideas", and I trust you feel encouraged to continue perusing the Questions, Blogs, and other sundries available at CR4 Forum.

Apparently the cat is dead.....

Looking forward to your reply ......

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918
In reply to #1

12/12/2007 10:04 AM

"But here, at CR4, you may find the esoteric, the eerie, the laterally thought out answers, a great sense of humour with some, and plain old vanilla comradeship, to whet your appetite."

Are mistaking this forum with another forum? ;-)

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

In reply to #1

12/12/2007 11:27 AM

OK Sparks, I can see the draw. Please forgive my frustration. Mainly I come here looking for interesting questions to discuss during morning break. I obviously miss the larger picture of this community as a whole. My hat is off to most of you out there. I have been privileged to read some brilliant assessments here.

Within the scope of this site being a place to take the edge off and enjoy a little humor, I still think there are a few who take things a little too seriously. Part of the problem, I feel, is the anonymity of the internet. I find that people are more polite in person.

Oh well, back to work.

-A-

Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 18

Re: Please Describe All Good Ideas

12/12/2007 9:42 AM

You're right about the vast majority of questions falling into one of the three categories you list.

It's very tempting to respond to them with sarcasm and criticism, but I've found that it's not worth wasting my time or the effort to type something. No answer is what most deserve.

I have recently started going to CR4 home page and clicking on "See all Forum Threads." By waiting a second or two with the cursor within the question box, the beginning of the question will appear in a pop-up. I can quickly (usually) see enough to decide whether or not the entire post is worth reading. When I can add something constructive, I generally do. When others have sufficiently answered the question, I don't reply.

It's hard to resist giving an occassional "zinger," however, and Del the Cat ain't bad at it either!

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

12/12/2007 10:30 AM

Bravo!

At first I thought this was one of those posts like example #1.

Why does this happen? Unfortunately, sometimes there are some people that need attention and since they really don't have anything intelligent to ask they throw some vague question that they hope might spark a long drawn out discourse on the subject and receive rich glowing accolades on how deep and intellectually insightful the original poster must have been to tap into the matrix of CR4 knowledge as we, its patrons, sit around smoking virtual briar pipes dressed in virtual tweed sweaters sipping fine fermented fruits in the campus cafe.

As bad as that nightmare seems, it is far better than the two other alternatives that people do for attention, which is either walk into a school or church and open fire, or my pet peeve, bragging about how they can, by the mere act of sitting down, give furniture multiple orgasms.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818

12/12/2007 10:38 AM

Guidance on the basis of experience is free. <bows respectfully>

Good ideas are for sale to the highest bidder.......

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662

12/12/2007 10:39 AM

Moi? Surely not?

I try and contribute 'good answers' but also add a little humour... being Brit humour this can sometimes be off the wall, off the topic or rather obscure and parochial.

I have also contributed to a couple of blogs and a Challenge question. Generally you get out as much as you put in.

I agree with your analysis of many of the questions... I feel that generally we are helpful to people who are genuinely trying to understand, especially if the take the trouble to reply to the posts.

I hope you don't find my input too irritating, and I can only apologise if you do.

I realise some of the 'running jokes' (e.g the KrisDel TM product line) may grate with those who are not in on the joke...but it's all part of the community spirit, which people generally buy into...in the same way as they accept my feline purrrsona.

Regards

Del

In reply to #6

12/12/2007 10:49 AM

"...being Brit humour this can sometimes be off the wall, off the topic or rather obscure and parochial."

Brit humor (or, as you say, humour) is galactic center for comedy and is universally accepted as such. ;-)

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 10

12/12/2007 11:06 AM

Am I missing something?

A sock? Your car keys? Sense of humor?

I for one, am greatly interested in the philosophy of science and technology in culture and society as well as science and technology itself. This forums tolerance, patience, intellect and combined wealth of experience is second to NONE!

Agreed, there are quirks. But after all, we are a quirky bunch in a quirky world. And if I type in quark or quarky instead of quirk, it will show up as a physics discussion on some one's keyword search!

Hah! Just a little Monkey Humor.

cr3

Good Answers: 87

12/12/2007 11:16 AM

I personally appriciate cat humor...

What I find irritating is when someone asks a reasonable question, like the one about pressurizing a gas plant with hydrocarbon instead of nitrogen, and several good answers are posted but the orignal poster never comes back to the thread to say thanks, or no you didn't understand the question, or anything...

Feels like we are just talking among our selves, and the OP doen't get the benefit.

Register to Reply
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - By Degree Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - By Profession Popular Science - Weaponology - By Interest United States - Member - Member Since My Inception

Good Answers: 5

12/12/2007 12:49 PM

-A-

You are pretty much right on with the categories. I think the group here, in general, has a hilarious sense of humor, and are more than capable to answer good questions. I have been reading numerous posts over my short tenure and have made some good contributions, some funny contributions, and have knocked on those wanting us to do their homework. CR4 provides a good daily dose of humor and thought provoking stuff ...

BTW, the cat cracks me up - thanks!

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #11

12/13/2007 5:54 PM

Lets give due credit to the CR4 staff for putting up with the likes of "us".

My computer resides in my shop (down a flight of stairs) and I usually find myself checking in to CR4 about the same time as my first taste of morning coffee. I'm not sure how I found you guys (CR4) but it was probably an engineering enquiry that connected me with Globalspec.

Categories be damned! I tend to read them all. Sure, there are some loony-tune posts, but amongst them there's a wealth of thought and carefully considered opinions (and you -A- belong to "us"). After all, who amongst us can't say that we dislike Cats?

Anyway, a great big thanks to the CR4 staff for a great, and informative, website!

-John

In reply to #33

12/13/2007 5:57 PM

Anyway, a great big thanks to the CR4 staff for a great, and informative, website!

Hear hear.... yeh and we all hate them pesky dogs

Tac eht Led

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #34

12/13/2007 6:04 PM

I, for one am partial to a more Simian type. However I will agree....

....Anyway, a great big thanks to the CR4 staff for a great, and informative, website!

Selrach Lemmur

In reply to #11

07/22/2017 5:26 PM

My name is Thomas Campbell and I have to say the facts here to you guys b/c you have the answer to this major problems we are slowly facing now !!! one fact is our earths atmosphere is being put more CO2 into our air each second of the day by cars and companies too !!! two fact is that our trees which are green are being still cut down which uses the CO2 and puts out oxygen for us to breath !!! third fact is that also our trees in the USA each year are burnt down many acres on the west coast !! The news show this each year right ? can we breath CO2 because CO2 can not leave our atmosphere so you need to make a much bigger deionizer for the earths air to get rid of the increases of CO2 in our air and maybe put out more oxygen for us to breath too !!! I am an Ex US Navy guy here and I see this happening now too so do you care enough to fix this major problem then ? if not do it for the childrens sake then !!!! we are slowly choking ourselves to death now seriously I see this now !!!! oh another thing too is that our energy from nuclear can put lots of electrons into ground of earth which will in turn add to the Ionosphere them to help protect the earth's atmosphere is what I also figured out now !!!! The Ionosphere is actually lots of electrons statically to protect us from the Sun's rays so we need to put more electrons to the earth's ground so it adds to the ionosphere !!!! I have some back ground into electronics in college now and I think I am correct on this one too guys !!! PS: if you wish to call me please do so at: 309-404-1112 Thomas Campbell my job in the US Navy was Radar/Sonar tech

Register to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

12/12/2007 2:10 PM

How about

4) I have just got my totally impractical and unusable idea patented, and here it is. Who wants to build it and make me rich.

5) I have this really great scam, no idea <yes that's much better>. Send me money.

6) Plz explain everything (with examples) regarding <topic>.

You will run into a few here that post fairly worthless questions or comments, but that is just the way the internet is (especially when you have a very large audience). Haahahahaa, you should see Google groups sci.electronics. However, a great deal posted here is either interesting, informative or good for a laugh, and I have found no better engineering discussion group on the web (they at least prevent the blatant spam and abuse that occurs on other groups).

I have noticed a great influx of cats. I am a cat person so I don't mind (hell my cats are VERY unresponsive when I start discussing quantum theory with them).

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - By Degree Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - By Profession Popular Science - Weaponology - By Interest United States - Member - Member Since My Inception

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #12

12/12/2007 5:30 PM

Good additions. It seems like I am seeing a lot more of #6. I also concur with the fact that CR4's filtering is better than most!

In reply to #12

12/13/2007 6:39 AM

That's because cats are simply pillows that eat.

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #20

12/14/2007 3:26 PM

no, no they crap as well.

oh, and they shed.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 7
In reply to #47

12/14/2007 3:27 PM

And they can have butt breath

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #48

12/14/2007 3:31 PM

You probably would too if you licked your own arse !

In reply to #49

12/14/2007 3:40 PM

or constantly eat tesco pouches with traces of over processed salmon Grissel and cartilage. Eating that you would probably prefer to lick your arse, or that of your neighbours.

I don't know about you but I would not eat that so why feed it to your pet? We do sometimes give ours some boiled chicken meat (no bones) or just the leftover meat rinsed in luke warm water so the salt and oil is mostly of it. They love that.

Guru

Good Answers: 28
In reply to #50

12/15/2007 3:22 AM

Cooked carrots from beef stew. My cat (which greatly resembled Del) would wrestle me for them. Wasn't interested in the meat or potatoes, only the carrots.

In reply to #57

12/15/2007 6:05 AM

Me and my first girlfriend had a Siamese which liked peas! They already were mad but peas is ridiculous.

Even further back in time, as a young kid, we had 3 cats at home and one of them would attack you if you had peanut butter on your sandwich. He would hold his paw on your hand with the nails extended so you could not withdraw the sandwich. He would then bite in the bread but try to get the bread out of his mouth and only keep the peanut butter. Needless to say it became a party trick. You should see the cat after wards turning his head this way and that way while opening his mouth in funny facial expressions, to try and lick the butter out of his teeth as it got stuck just about everywhere. Really funny.

Guru

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #49

12/15/2007 11:22 AM

How do you avoid falling off the couch?

Just curious, what is your opinion of the book, "101 Uses for a Dead Cat", by Simon Bond?

Guru

In reply to #12

12/13/2007 2:35 PM

If you want responsive animals you need to visit Dilbert. There you have dogbert and ratbert who are both, or added together, more clever than the engineer Dilbert himself. Realy funny.

You all keep mentioning a cat, what cat? Pssst if you ignore him it goes away again

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #29

12/13/2007 5:09 PM

"You all keep mentioning a cat, what cat?"

"Nevermore quoth the raven!" Chomp, perhaps, said Del, and nevermore was the raven.

In reply to #31

12/13/2007 5:21 PM

SSSSssssst....don't type so loud, you wake him up!

I think you got away with it this time

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #32

12/13/2007 5:59 PM

is this whispering softly enough? Cats hear quite well i hear. will try to be more quiet.

12/12/2007 10:53 PM

Spot on. I find it strange that many of the questions asked seem to indicate that the questioner has done no research of their own. eg "Is there a formula that relates distance and time to speed". ffej

Register to Reply
Power-User
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member

12/12/2007 11:52 PM

I also do not like the original poster's not responding to questions generated by the thread or a note of thanks to close the thread out. Seems like they put it on there and then don't pay attention to it, which is more than a little frustrating. However, I do enjoy the information I get out of the site and the good bits of humor.

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #15

12/13/2007 12:06 AM

I for one find that the threads have the same listed request for explanations or help, as described in number one. It is the wit and witticisms that keeps me coming back searching for the meaning of life as we know it.

joshua

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

12/13/2007 2:37 PM

That is spot on and exactly what I do it for as well. Good banter with likeminded souls and if you end up helping AND you get the reply back, that is a bonus.

The things you can learn yourself here are endless and infinite.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 90

12/13/2007 4:27 AM

Sometimes the questions scare me, the ones where reading between the lines sounds like "I'm designing a nuclear reactor but don't know the difference between steel & cardboard".

There are times when the humour is essential.

In reply to #17

12/13/2007 8:28 AM

Spot on! I am always amazed at how sure people are about things they know nothing about.

I once had a guy argue that he could connect an alternator to a battery, the battery to a motor, then have the motor turn the alternator, and have it run forever. His only proviso was that he would need to find the correct pulley ratio!

This is the type of guy who would get on here and ask the CR4 gurus to calculate it for him.

It seems to me that the consensus here is that there are far fewer ithering blidiots here than in other forums, so I have decided to stop complaining and enjoy the show!

Cheers fellows!

-A-

In reply to #21

12/13/2007 1:13 PM

"1) Please describe all good ideas pertaining to what I happen to be thinking about."

johnjohn's corollary:

Please describe all good ideas pertaining to what I happen to be thinking about, and which I know that you know that I know nothing about, but the question itself will insure that you post a remark that gets the entire CR4 readership contributing information that I will deem appropriate to what I think that I'm thinking about, but really know nothing about whatsoever.

In reply to #27

12/13/2007 2:06 PM

The Mrs. and I have very similar discussions. It seems that I think her a psychic. Or so I am told.

cr3

Location: The cigarette-stained drunkard living in the cardboard box outside Marks & Sparks delivery entrance, Eastgate Shopping Centre, Basildon.
In reply to #17

12/17/2007 6:29 AM

"I'm designing a nuclear reactor but don't know the difference between steel & cardboard".

Got plenty of carboard, Boss, but steel is a bit more diffcult to come by. <Splutter>

New Zealand - Member - Interested in everything- see my Profile please APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Hobbies - Musician - Autoharp and Harmonica Hobbies - Hunting - Member Hobbies - Fishing - Member

12/13/2007 5:37 AM

I just found this interesting graphic

I thought all readers of this Topic could appreciate as a typical question, along with a carefully thought out answer to that question....

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

12/13/2007 6:32 AM

Nice Blog, we all feel like this from time to time. Nigh had a good comment too, sadly what he mentions and you mention happens too often to be really funny.....

I just get scared for the future with such brainless people around......hopefully we just see too many here, but in reality, the percentages are probably much better!! Ever optimistic!

12/13/2007 9:16 AM

What is the meaning Of Life

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #22

12/13/2007 10:54 AM

A wet bird never flies at night.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #24

12/13/2007 1:03 PM

And furthermore what is the leaning of mife?

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #26

12/15/2007 12:11 PM

Mife get in your bed and lean over to bite you in the middle of the night...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #60

12/15/2007 4:44 PM

You mistyped:

Mife get in your bed and mean over to bite you in the niddle of the light...

If this gets any worse we need a japanese for beginners dictionairy.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #67

12/15/2007 7:44 PM

Hello case491,

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mife

A man-wife, common in rural Ireland and Scotland, also India, although most of India is rural anyway.

Dude, check out that beard, I 'aint ever seen a mife like that before!

etc........

In reply to #71

12/16/2007 4:15 AM

Hahahahahaha, although I like the farm yard animal better. That would really make you feel unwell for more than one reason.

Thanks for that, is that what "he" means though?

Guru

In reply to #22

12/13/2007 11:03 AM

Give all of your "Self" to you creator. But make certain you know exactly what you are giving.

Good Answers: 35

12/13/2007 10:41 AM

Take advantage of the information provided.

You get some answers that are relevant and humorous.

With the vague questions they are the best because it leads people to have to think about what the author is asking and leads to some very informative answers. Even if the answers from each individual is leading off into a different direction.

Everyone's ideas are good ideas. What we as the readers and responders have to be is open to others ideas and opinions as well. Many of the posts made from people are based on their own personal experiences and studies. You can't really tell people they are wrong because we are not standing in their shoes but we can definitely add to their information and even redirect their interpretation for the information they are sharing.

Take advantage of it. Try not to be too judgmental.

Don't take offense or let pride stand in your way from learning from someone else if they disagree with you. Everyone has their own experiences and this place is one place you can be comfortable with taking part in an educated conversation.

Either that or you can go find a forum where the Atheists and Christians are arguing if you think that would be better.

12/13/2007 6:08 PM

I see this forum as sort of the world lunch table. A workmate or two from every department of the plant. Topics of discussion vary widely and if humor didn't abound, the participants would rapidly dwindle.

And when a serious topic arises, everyone contributes with the best ideas they can come up with, regardless of their expertise. All comments are considered, good or otherwise.

I've always looked at it this way: Put up the "big blackboard" and write down EVERY idea anyone has. If there are 100 ideas and only one passes muster, you have won. But don't erase the blackboard! There are 99 other ideas that may need a little tweak to solve another problem.

The hardest thing for any business to obtain is ideas.

In reply to #37

12/13/2007 6:15 PM

Good answer.

"The hardest thing for any business to obtain is ideas."

The hardest thing for any business to obtain is [new and untested] ideas.

In reply to #37

12/13/2007 7:10 PM

Well said,

on the few occaisions when I talk to students about my job I say...

' My job is about having bad ideas... (this gets their curiosity/attention)

because I have to get 99 bad ones for every good one.'

In reply to #39

12/13/2007 7:59 PM

And I've decided that anyone that doesn't feel music has no soul!

(don't know what that has to do with anything but it should have) come to think of it, maybe that's what distinguishes man from robot?

The topic is "describe all good ideas" Wow! Where shall we start?

KrisDel™ may have to take a 2nd seat to what may come.

"What rough beast, its hour come round at last..."

How about some comments on this one.

In reply to #40

12/13/2007 10:27 PM

I wonder if anyone has tested it for bird ingestion. It will have to pass that test and at least be able to glide somewhat.

In reply to #40

12/14/2007 12:47 PM

Hows about you start a thread?

In reply to #46

12/14/2007 5:06 PM

You're absolutely right Charles, I think I'll do so. The "Fan-wing" is rather fascinating.

In addition, this whole thing about "Describe New Ideas" is about as open-ended as one could possibly get, don't you think? What a world of possibilities!

P.S. A gentle note to posters:

"your" is not the same as "you're". Spell checker won't catch it but you should be aware of it. If you speak English, learn to write it correctly!! (please, for those pedantic souls amongst us).

In reply to #51

12/14/2007 6:20 PM

Your right, John Deuce, that you're are.

In reply to #51

12/14/2007 6:52 PM

your'e meaning to say that not efryone is speaking proper like whot I does?

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #51

12/14/2007 7:50 PM

Wow A US Citizen that write and knows correct English!

I applaud your words Sir. Thanks.

I never trusted myself to say much as I was happy if they even bothered to use the spell checker at all!!

In reply to #54

12/14/2007 8:05 PM

Wow (missing punctuation) A (capitalization unnecessary) US Citizen (capitalization unnecessary) that write (misspelled - should be plural) and knows correct English!

I applaud your words Sir. Thanks.

I never trusted myself to say much (punctuation missing) as I was happy if they even bothered to use the spell checker at all!!(grammatically incorrect - repetitive punctuation)

Seriously, do you have some kind of oozing brain disease or something. I reviewed your other posts and it seems that you have some kind of OCD or something or are a control freak, or self righteous or maybe you were beaten by a door to door dictionary salesman or something. But whatever it is, and now this is just my opinion, you very well could find life a little more enjoyable if you just let it go man. Just let it go.

cr3

In reply to #55

12/15/2007 2:57 PM

I feel somehow that the brain disease belongs to the person you see everyday in the mirror.

You are simply obnoxious.....all the time.....

I try to only be obnoxious when replying to people of your irk!

I do highly recommend some serious psychoanalyst hours of treatment for you as soon as possible......the treatment that I gues you must have had before, has not done the job at all, you really put out some good money for nothing there.....

A recommendation for the future:-

Read your posts through carefully and what you say to people, better still, print them out and take them with for your next Trick Cyclist visit, it might get you a better bed on the ward than you actually deserve!!!!

In reply to #65

12/15/2007 4:47 PM

now now children, please play nicely

Guru

In reply to #65

12/15/2007 8:39 PM

Oops! Pardon me. I was looking for "Please describe all good ideas". This must be "Verbal abuse". (quite literally)

Location: The cigarette-stained drunkard living in the cardboard box outside Marks & Sparks delivery entrance, Eastgate Shopping Centre, Basildon.
In reply to #65

12/17/2007 6:36 AM

Oi, oi, oi, oi, OI! That's enough, you two! Do that in Thurrock if you want, but don't do it HERE! <Splutter>.

In reply to #75

12/17/2007 7:36 AM

Apologies to you Pete, you are really quite right, but he is sort of chasing me around the blogs, like some sort or large kid beating up on someone physically smaller, a bully you might say.... trying to get up my nose with stupid and inane comments about things he seems to know little about!

Sadly for him, each time I am in a position to point this out and he is getting even more upset......he is demonstrating some seriously strange personality traits....

I see that my replies to his obnoxious and childish behaviour recently have worked to some degree, he is not quite so keen to metaphorically "cross swords" anymore..........

I have no idea where or why he lost it either, there does not seem to be any logical rhyme or reason to it......

Have a great day Pete....

In reply to #76

12/17/2007 8:13 AM

Hi Andy,

I think I should(?) maybe insert a comment since this thread seemed to have sprouted from my comment that:

"'your' is not the same as 'you're'. Spell checker won't catch it but you should be aware of it. If you speak English, learn to write it correctly!! (please, for those pedantic souls amongst us)."

IMHO I think a lot of times readers misinterpret posts and take offense unnecessarily. We should ALL be mature enough to count to (at least) 1000 before posting a hasty response that may later be regrettable.

Just my sincerely humble opinion.

-John

In reply to #77

12/17/2007 9:59 AM

Your opinion is valued here Johnjon, thanks.

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #81

12/17/2007 10:24 AM

The moral of this story is that it's not a good idea to be pointing out other people's spelling and grammar errors. Eventually you will end up setting yourselves up for ridicule by someone else and often times it cames back at you 25 fold.

I realize that misspelled words and grammatical errors sometimes hurts the eyes of those that are more extensively trained in the literary arts then others.

Even the professionals that make a living using the English language, like journalists and authors of books, have editors that go through their work and correct spelling errors and grammatical errors. This is because after you've written something and go back and proof read it you still miss those errors. You have to have someone else read over it, or come back later and look at it again.

Sometimes it's a time issue. People on forums want to just make their point and move on. We are typing on a keyboard and for some of us we can type pretty fast. I go back over my work often and catch my errors. Some of my errors that I catch are things like:

Taht instead of That.

You instead of Your.

It could be that they hit the proper key just not enough to make it activate the command.

In reply to #83

12/17/2007 3:33 PM

"It could be that they hit the proper key just not enough to make it activate the command."

Or they were perhaps using a Microsoft wireless keyboard like I was until I wised up and threw the damn thing in the trash.

In reply to #83

12/18/2007 4:07 AM

I really feel that we are barking up the wrong tree here a bit. What we ALL need to do (I am no better than anyone else in this matter) is to stop talking about it and just let the spell checker run over our words before finalising. No more no less.

It will not fix all problems, by no means, but some posters who are not first language English (and some who are!!) need to particularly use it because their spelling is atrocious!!!

This makes a problem for OTHER non first language English readers to understand what is written! Whereas you are I can still understand it....

Everyone should be less sensitive to criticism if they misspell (spell correctly if you cannot handle it!!) and try and use the spell checker every time......

Happy Christmas everyone - "Crappy Isthmus?"

In reply to #85

12/18/2007 4:21 AM

My problem seems to be that the computer always writes what I type, not what I was thinking. Surely there must be a cure for this.

In reply to #86

12/18/2007 7:14 AM

Or, Stephen Hawking might say: the computer always writes what I think, never what I type.

In reply to #85

12/18/2007 9:16 AM

I partially agree with not being too harsh with those lacking A level spelling skills because the focus of this forum is to exchange ideas, not to win a spelling bee, but by the same token, those people as well as all of us, not first language English people as well, should make a concerted effort to correct their spelling (and get away from using "text" language), as it will make their communications during everyday life more understandable. If you were hiring and an application you were considering was full of typos and text, you tell me. Sure, you say that for those occasions you would be more careful but if all your life you thought "beautiful" was spelled "bootiful" (and maybe it should be) then you will not recognize spelling errors no matter how hard you try.

Now punctuation...that befuddles me.

In reply to #89

12/18/2007 9:25 AM

Jaguar has obviously never heard of Bernard Matthews (this may not be understood by anyone outside the UK).

In reply to #90

12/18/2007 9:30 AM

Is he still alive????

In reply to #91

12/18/2007 9:36 AM

Apparently so, & enjoying his retirement.

In reply to #85

12/18/2007 4:28 PM

Whereas you are I can still understand it

See where it did not work? We all WANT to use the spell checker but are too lazy to read our own product properly. If you are in the heat of the thread anwsering some guest's silly notion of how it should be done, in the "but you know much better" kind of mood, you quickly will pass your text for correctly spelled and leave it at that.

This whole conversation is pointless and all participants are bone idle....

Live and let live and if you get to a piece of thread that is easily misunderstood than react accordingly and appropriately but don't argue about it as if it is a thread.

period.

<unsubscribed from this one>

Guru

In reply to #93

12/20/2007 8:15 AM

Hear hear!

<AlVas has left the building>

In reply to #85

12/19/2007 5:47 AM

Hello Andy Germany,

Sadly, the spell-checker cannot correct for a word which is an English word, but is the incorrect word.

Also there are unfortunately now three versions of English:

1. The Original King's or Queen's English, which is used by UK/Australia/New Zealand and others.
  2. The US version of English, used by US/Canada and many other countries.
  3. Text Message English = txt msg nglsh

So the "Native English Speakers" cannot even agree between themselves - so what hope for the person struggling to write English....Aaaaaarrrrggggghhhh$!@$@#$%^&*()_

The problem about making a typing error and the spell-checker never noted it, and you re-read it, just to be sure - is you miss it on the re-read again, because your mind is pre-programmed to "know it is as you typed it" i.e. Correct.....

In reply to #94

12/20/2007 8:02 AM

That does not excuse NOT using the spell checker......

I know the problems with the various forms, think about India with hundreds of different languages and dialects!!!!, but some of the words we see here are incorrect in all three languages(!)......

Its all excuses, excuses etc etc..... Teacher would not love you today!!!

In reply to #95

12/20/2007 8:17 AM

"Teacher would not love you today!!!

Not even if I brought a very special apple?

In reply to #97

12/20/2007 8:35 AM

...the maybe!!!!

In reply to #98

12/20/2007 12:44 PM

...the maybe!!!!

the spell checker really served you well there Andy

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #99

12/21/2007 2:18 AM

Yes, I missed an important "n" out and as you fully and correctly said, the spell checker did not help me!!! Thanks for pointing it out for meNobody is perfect

But we should still use the spell checker to catch what it can catch!!!

Crappy Isthmus to everyone!!!

In reply to #97

12/23/2007 7:59 PM

Hi Johnjohn,

Here's a picture of the apple I received yesterday

Kind Regards.....

In reply to #51

12/15/2007 2:59 AM

Please check any retentiveness to the far left of the keyboard. Thank you.

In reply to #51

12/15/2007 12:29 PM

"you're" is a contraction of "you are". Look at your post and if "you are" fits into your statement, use "you're".

"Your Del" is something you might say to Mrs. Cat.

"You're Del" is something you might say to Del himself.

Gawd I hated English grammer in school, but I got over it.

Bill

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #61

12/15/2007 12:33 PM

Gawd I hated English grammer in school, but I got over it.

Apparently spelling wasn't fun for you (or me) either.

In reply to #61

12/15/2007 1:10 PM

"You're absolutely right Charles" (post #51).

You said "you're" is a contraction of "you are". Look at your post and if "you are" fits into your statement, use "you're.

I said "your" is not the same as "you're". Spell checker won't catch it but you should be aware of it. If you speak English, learn to write it correctly!! (please, for those pedantic souls amongst us).

I could have said (appropriately) "You are absolutely right Charles."

What's your point? Perhaps I should say "WHAT IS YOUR POINT?"

In reply to #63

12/15/2007 2:46 PM

I was just trying to "back you up" for the information for others. I agree with your post.

Bill

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #64

12/15/2007 6:01 PM

Hi Bill,

Misread your post. Thanks for clarification.

-John

In reply to #63

12/15/2007 3:01 PM

Johnjohn, they have two different meanings, thats the point!!!! They are simply not synonymous with each other......(I hope that big word I used is the right one!!)

In reply to #66

12/15/2007 6:06 PM

Of course they have different meanings. That's what I was trying to point out to careless posters. You, above all, should have cued in on that (from previous threads regarding "don't know where spell checker button is and don't even care" type posters).

-John

Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Location: East of Seattle, Washington state Republic of the 50 states of America
Good Answers: 36

12/13/2007 9:15 PM

Even idiots can have a good idea and a genius can make a mistake.

When the couch potatoes of the world unite you get a big bag of potatoes that complains a lot.

When the engineers of the world banter- synergy, ideas, concepts, develop and become reality.

Yes the elephant must be eaten one bite at a time, but Knowing where to bite saves you from starting at the wrong end and eating much s%^t.

Someone who shoots holes in your idea they saved you money and more importantly time. I can make more money, I can schedule time but have yet to make or buy any.

Thank you all for asving me time and giving me pleasure.

Brad

Good Answers: 96

12/13/2007 11:01 PM

The idea of a forum is to trade ideas, some valid, some not so, some sincere, some laced with humor. Its all good, or at least as good as you want it to be.

I have been known to visit a few torrent sites (shame on me, but YOU try living in China :-) and I am sometimes amazed by the very angry folks who get SO upset when something they are getting for FREE is not quite what they expected.

For most of my time spent on CR4 forums, it is mostly a simple RELIEF from the daily grind, so the mix of serious versus nonsense versus trivial versus important is good. No one makes me visit CR4 and no one forces me to read or respond. My choice. I learn, I contribute, I laugh ... a little like having a few beers with colleagues ... without the beer.

For me its all good ... hard for me to imagine not having the opportunity to participate.

We can't always choose our neighbors, but if I could, I probably wouldn't do that very well either. The variety adds more flavor and color to life ... its good.

In reply to #43

12/13/2007 11:15 PM

"a little like having a few beers with colleagues ... without the beer."

Why so? I think it's better to have a good bunch around, have a good lager (or 2, or 3...) and consider/debate what's been posted. Play a little music, laugh, drop a jaw in amazement, etc. At the end of the day we all learn a little/lot.

-John

Good Answers: 96
In reply to #44

12/14/2007 12:20 AM

You got that right, friend ... just that here there's little opportunity to 'chew the fat' with colleagues ... my imbibing comes with those who don't care much about science, engineering, or the good banter that goes with it ... hmmm, now that I think of it, its pretty good, too, to get away from all that now and then.

(next one's on me)

______________Cheers

12/17/2007 8:23 AM

I sure do miss the beaten path. Now, where the heck did it go?

-A-

In reply to #78

12/17/2007 8:33 AM

In reply to #79

12/17/2007 8:51 AM

Made me chuckle

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

-A- (4); All About M.E. (2); Andy Germany (12); Anonymous Hero (4); Anonymous Poster (3); betomachine (1); Bill (1); Bluestone (2); case491 (11); DCaD (2); Del the cat (3); GreatEagle1 (1); Ibn Hazen (1); jack of all trades (1); Jaguar (6); Janissaries (2); Johnjohn (17); mutantone (1); Nigh (5); PWSlack (1); Sciesis2 (3); SGQ (1); Sparkstation (5); Steve S. (1); Stinky Pete (3); TexasCharley (8); U V (1)

Previous in Forum: Another "free-energy" inventor silenced permanently?   Next in Forum: PT Probe For Circuit Setter
You might be interested in: Patch Cables and Cords, Cable Assemblies

Advertisement