Previous in Forum: 2007-One of the Warmest Years on Record - NASA   Next in Forum: Excel
Close
Close
Close
96 comments
Anonymous Poster

Accountants

03/30/2008 4:14 PM

Why do a lot of engineers dislike accountants so much?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United States - Member - Charter Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - Charter Member

Good Answers: 73

Re: Accountants

03/30/2008 4:20 PM

Simple, they don't give you the money to do your job. They have no idea of the real world.

Good Answers: 143

03/30/2008 4:49 PM

Because, when you turn in an expense account that says:

Lunch $21.18

Tip $4.00

Parking $2.50

Miscellaneous $431.00

They always bug the hell out of you for receipts. Sheesh!

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #2

03/30/2008 9:00 PM

Our bean counters would certainly question that $4.00 tip.

03/30/2008 5:07 PM

I myself, really like accountants and I think they are very nice people.

Guru

Good Answers: 87

03/30/2008 5:30 PM

It is a classic struggle, the engineer wants to spend the money necessary to create a wonderful item like a bridge or a car, and he wants it to be well made and beautiful in that it will reflect on his ability as an engineer for years to come.

The accountant is only concerned about retaining capital, and as a result wishes the engineer to spend absolute the least amount of money possible. If it is safe, serves the purpose, and will not result in law suits later then the accountant considers that good enough.

For an engineer that is never good enough.

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662

03/30/2008 6:17 PM

I could do their job...but they couldn't do mine.
They know my salary, I don't know theirs.
They can influence my salary, I can't influence theirs.
I'm supposed to have some undestanding of their stupid concepts, while they aren't required to understand engineering.
They are patronising gits who think designers, engineers and the workforce are are there because of them, whereas the reverse is more often true.

It's not just accountants...the exact same reasoning applies to plenty of people in the mangement menagerie...just don't start me on two faced HR managers.

I could rant on some more but I'm sure you can pencil in the rest yourselves.

Del

Australia - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #5

03/31/2008 4:29 AM

Good Kitty. My sediments exactly.

But Accountants are only doing their job, whereas HR personnel are Evil Demons from the Lower Depths of Hell. We can't wish them to go to Hell as that's where they came from.

Ummmmm Green Skies, Blue Grass , calmmmm, peacefullllllll.

Om mani padme hum....

In reply to #11

03/31/2008 4:33 AM

HR personnel are Evil Demons from the Lower Depths of Hell.

Thanks for this important info...it has helped me with 'closure' on some 'life issues'

Good Answers: 165

03/30/2008 6:57 PM

I don't necessarily dislike them, I just don't always like them! Seriously, there is a completely different focus; accountants deal with corporate rules, engineers deal with physical facts. Ignoring corporate rules/politics can get an engineer fired. Ignoring physical priciples can anyone dead. Which do you think is more important?

The accountants that I have known fall into 2 catagories: Those that think the immediate dollar is all important, and the rules are written in stone; and those that realize that the rules are a guideline, and the long range survival of the company is the real point.

I despise the first group, and will gladly seek the advise of the second group to accomplish my goals.

If you can't beat 'em, marry 'em is my motto. From the second group of course!

Good Answers: 5

03/30/2008 11:22 PM

I am from so far down the ladder that I don't know who actually writes the rules. Most rediculous rule? When I first hired into a Crown Cork and Seal can plant I was brought a small sprocket that was so worn that the teeth had eventually stripped off.

I assumed that it must have been hidden from view for them to let it run that long. Wrong. Local management had been told analysis showed that unless machine parts are used up completely, that the company was not getting full value from them. I am not making this up.

The stranges part is that they were the most sensibly run large organization I ever worked for simply on the basis of cutting out the practice of management taking kickbacks and getting rid of 75% of all management. Two industrial salesment told me that Crown employees were afraid to take even a key chain.

Power-User

Good Answers: 1

03/31/2008 12:09 AM

An accountant does the production costs and knows nothing about operations. An engineer works in operations and knows nothing about costs. This is sadly very common. A smart junior engineer will recognize early the handicap and will take steps to learn and master basic accounting principles and be able to read and make intelligent inferences on any income statement or balance. Whereas the engineer will find it easy to learn accountantspeak the accountant will never learn engineering even if applied himself to it.

Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 243
In reply to #9

03/31/2008 10:03 AM

This is an excellent answer.

milo

In reply to #15

03/31/2008 12:47 PM

You´re too kind, Milo. Thanks.

Power-User

In reply to #9

03/31/2008 10:38 PM

Fortunately for me, I am not only given a project to engineer and implement, but I am also given the budget I have to make the project a reality.

Therefore (within the budget), I decide what parts etc. are important and what can be cut back on.

However.... (there had to be one!) I am not always given a sufficient budget amount.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 415
In reply to #31

04/01/2008 5:13 PM

I am not only given a project to engineer and implement, but I am also given the budget I have to make the project a reality

Don't hate yourself it's alright

I am not always given a sufficient budget amount

always, yet the project still has to perform.

03/31/2008 4:00 AM

I should say that on a personal basis I've met some accountants who were nice enough guys and engineers whe were arses.
Heres my Dad's standard story of the acountant who 'saved' money by ordering a billet of metal from a cheaper supplier...and delayed a whole Ministry of Defence project for a week because it wasn't 'next day delivery'

In reply to #10

03/31/2008 7:26 AM

The classic one in my case was the accountant who was in the process of sending a spare rotor for a turbocompressor train to scrap since it had not turned over through the stock room in several years...

The rotor was worth a million dollars (not to mention that it weighted 10,000 pounds, and about 15 feet long), and we only planned on changing it out every 7 years during over hauls. It was also our spare to protect us against millions in production loss if we damaged the one in the machine..

But procedures are procedures....

Power-User

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #13

03/31/2008 9:25 AM
Replying to Comment by

Steve S.:

The classic one in my case was the accountant who was in the process of sending a spare rotor for a turbocompressor train to scrap since it had not turned over through the stock room in several years...

The rotor was worth a million dollars (not to mention that it weighted 10,000 pounds, and about 15 feet long), and we only planned on changing it out every 7 years during over hauls. It was also our spare to protect us against millions in production loss if we damaged the one in the machine..

But procedures are procedures.

Ye gods, Steve S! That's hard to top!

In reply to #14

03/31/2008 10:26 AM

It was stopped before it went out the door, but there was plenty of other stuff that went, that should not have...

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #10

04/05/2008 4:07 AM

My Dad tells the story of when he was Production Manager in a company making comms radio gear for the MoD. The designers had specified a transistor (or maybe it was just a signal diode - it was a long time ago) by TI, and built & tested the prototypes - which passed all the acceptance tests.

It went into production, and about 80% of the finished units either failed on test or failed in service within a few weeks. All had to be reworked to replace the cheaper 'equivalent' parts (substituted by the buyers under instructions from the accountants) with the specified TI ones.

I think that's the time Dad smashed the glass table-top in the conference room with his fist.

Good Answers: 2

03/31/2008 10:09 AM

I took a small business class, a large part of which was accountants teaching us the basics of accounting and Quickbooks. Despite the common language of math, I would say accountants simply don't think the same way as engineers. Both have to be concerned with cost, but an engineer considers value, an accountant's priority is price. Besides, engineers have to be creative. If accountants are creative, you get Enron or Bear Stearns!

Anonymous Poster

03/31/2008 10:17 AM

I feel if an engineer is analytical enough and he has done his job well he will be a friend of the accountant.

Only an engineer has to put himself in the shoes of an accountant. Should be able to answer his queries and satisfy him.

The problem comes once the engineer does not do feasibility properly and does not answer fully on: What, How and When?

I am an engineer and have been a shop floor man to manager, a Chief Executive/ Director for more than 40 years. I always had good interaction with the accountants throughout.

Learning is a two way process. I am sure if some of these points are kept in mind while working you can never have problems. Of course, there can be arguments and counter arguments. The philosophy has to be: Either you get convinced or you convince the opposite party. That is how the work goes on.

S.K. PRUTHEE

Guru
United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 20

03/31/2008 10:35 AM

There are plenty of good answers here already. All I can add is what I was once told - "Heaven help you if a bean-counter ever gets put in charge of your project, all that'll ever get done from that point on, is beans will be counted". I have always observed this to be the truth. All accountants should be on notice that they are there to TRACK expenses and profits, not to manage them.

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

03/31/2008 11:12 AM

Because an accountant looks at his job as to save the company money. Engineers look at their job to make the company money. The old saying got to spend money to make money brings the two, accountants and engineers to clash. Accountants tend to look for cheaper means with no understanding or regard for out come. Penny pincher that look at the companies money as their own are the worst.

Good Answers: 8

03/31/2008 12:04 PM

First of all, doesn't he realize that's my parking space? And what the h**l would be the crime in having a sense of humor, huh? And that annoying...

Good Answers: 9

03/31/2008 12:05 PM

UPPER MANAGEMENT ASKS

"Engineering, can you solve this problem?"

Good engineer says,

"of course , here are three ways"

1. Best....longevity...quick into production...new concept...low maint..

2. A little less reliable ...sightly lower initial costs..higher maint.

3. Lowest initial costs... more maint... less reliable = down time..not calculated.

Accounting says:

What do you mean 1 & 2 require more capital to produce first marketable part?

There is no budget anyway..........

And thus, a brilliant concept was never explored because UPPER MANAGMENT never saw it... nor provided a defined capital assignment, bracket for the plan.

UM FAILURE ALL THE WAY..

Incidenatlly...I am UM.....

I LOOK IN THE CASH DRAWER...AND IF I CAN'T SEE THE BOTTOM.......CAPTAL IS AVAILABLE.....FIND A NEED AND FILL IT........CALLED "MARKETING"

My philosophy is simple....as learned from others.........

"If you never go out on the limb....you never pick the fruit."

"If we are all going to eat....somebody's got to sell".

"No one ever succeeded by not trying."

MR. GUY

03/31/2008 12:27 PM

Well...as an engineer I can tell you that sometimes my brother, the accountant does get on my nerves, but dislike is a bit too strong.

He can't help who he is afterall-he isn't me.

Gotta learn the concept of mutual tolerance.

Guru
United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #23

03/31/2008 12:38 PM

But he's your brother - you can't spit on HIM, it would be disrespectful to your Mother...

Hobbies - Car Customizing - Dances with Trees Canada - Member - because I can Hobbies - CNC - too much fun Hobbies - Target Shooting - paper shreader

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #23

03/31/2008 6:07 PM

Accountant; cost center, revenue generation zero

Engineer/Designer; production center, revenue generator.

need I say more, Oh I am a designer...

Good Answers: 37
In reply to #26

03/31/2008 8:04 PM

"Accountant; cost center, revenue generation zero; Engineer/Designer; production center, revenue generator."

Funny, I've been in a couple of companies that cut staff to reduce costs, and nearly every department was required to make RIFs (Reductions In Force) except accounting; they thought that since money came through their department, they must be a revenue generator; since money went to Engineering, but no DIRECT revenues came in through it, it must be a cost center, and therefore should be cut heavily. One company had been in business more than 140 years when this was done, and lost the entire engineering staff of 45 as a result (but not one accountant). They filed bakruptcy a few years later, when all of the competition had new product, and they had none.

Engineers and Designers may spend months doing paper work for a project, and then the work begins! Accountants think that the work is done if paperwork appears complete. The mindsets are too far apart for them to bridge (though as several have pointed out, most engineers could do the accounting job, but never the reverse).

Had an Accountant-turned-Purchaser who took my requisition, and went looking for a cheaper source of special graph paper - though I had located exactly what I needed and gotten it set aside for our order AND told him so - and we twiddled thumbs for three extra days because his source was further away. And what came in was 3 x 5 cycle log-log, when we needed 5 x 3 log-log. It took me more than half an hour to prove to him that you couldn't "just turn it the other way", and I'm not sure he ever DID believe the proof. I took three other engineers & technicians with me and drove to the first vendor, where we each bought part of the order to stay under our absurdly low petty cash limit. One extra person-day would have paid for the entire order; 3-1/2 days times 4 people waiting for it was insane. And I wrote a letter to the owner / president of the company saying that if one penny of the additional charges showed up on my project books, I would pass the information directly to the federal government, since this was a classified military contract; "Idiot" got a copy. Afterward, I always had the feeling that he didn't really like me . . .

In reply to #27

04/01/2008 8:14 AM

"Afterward, I always had the feeling that he didn't really like me . . ."

What?!? No way - you seem like a nice enough guy to ME...

Sure, most engineers could handle the math of accounting, and probably do an even better than average job of paying attention to the details. But for cryin' out LOUD, who'd WANT to?!? If I was interested in that stuff more than a minute's worth, my major would have been through the Business School.

I can relate to the graph paper story - I've had to start writing "no substitutions, no alternate vendors" on my requisitions, because our present purchaser deals with a broker out of laziness rather than placing orders with the manufacturer/supplier. The broker will ship any old krep that halfway resembles what I ordered, and doesn't give a good sharp rap whether it's usable or not. While this approach may work for 5/8 inch manila rope, 10d nails, and bags of portland cement, for the stuff I order, I do the research to see which one I want, who supplies it, maybe how long it'll take to get it here, and how much it costs, and fill out the purchase req. as appropriate.

Good Answers: 2

03/31/2008 8:27 PM

Who was it that said :-

'An accountant knows the cost of everything, but the value of nothing' ?

I wish it was me!

Guru

Good Answers: 37
In reply to #28

03/31/2008 8:42 PM

Actually, it WAS you! The original quote, apparently, was "A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." - Oscar Wilde

But then if we substitute unknowns, replacing Cynic with Accountant, the equation remains balanced, I think.

In reply to #29

04/01/2008 8:32 AM

"...the equation remains balanced..."

MUCH unlike most of the people who create these posts, I hasten to add!

Good catch on that quote, BTW...

Good Answers: 96

03/31/2008 8:58 PM

YOU FOOLS !!!

Be NICE to the ACCOUNTANTS ... SHOW them your toys ... REPAIR their things when they break ... Disagree with them GENTLY ... Kiss their ARSE !!!

They have the money ... make them LIKE you ... THEN when all your colleagues are suffering, YOU get all the breaks (ha ha ... devious ... delicious ... YOUR PROJECT WINS)

Besides, some of them are CUTE

(truly, they have their jobs, production folks have theirs, procurement has theirs, sales, administration ... we are a 'village' ... if one group can't see that, a better mind needs to take the first step)

In reply to #30

04/01/2008 2:38 AM

Besides, some of them are CUTE

Yes... but I dread to think how imaginative they are in the sack. (Mind I don't think I'd survive a full audit these days )

Del

In reply to #32

04/01/2008 3:32 AM

Think of the classic librarian ... hair in a bun ... black-rimmed glasses.

THEN ...

The hair falls in slow motion ... the glasses come off.

OKAY, OKAY, movie stuff ... SOMETIMES .

In reply to #33

04/01/2008 4:17 AM

You swine...brunnettes are my downfall...I'll get no work done all day now...

In reply to #35

04/01/2008 4:36 AM

<You swine ...>

Well, all men are PIGS ...

In reply to #36

04/01/2008 8:42 AM

Likely true, but not all pigs are men (except in the court of Circe!).

In reply to #30

04/01/2008 8:36 AM

You are absolutely right, of course...for public consumption. However, deep in your heart of hearts, and likewise here where accountants apparently fear to tread, one may hold forth one's true feelings. [SCUM! Low-life, bottom-feeding bloodsuckers! Soulless eaters of all that is good and bright...] Ahhh...much better now that I've got that off my soapbox!

Good Answers: 25

04/01/2008 3:48 AM

My comments are:- 1) Engineer is jack of all he can learn account in short time. In India we engineers have a subject called "Accounts" in final year. 2) I have learnt about writting account books such as Ledger, Cash Book, Sales & Purchase Ledger, preparing balance sheets when I started my own small trading firm. 3) In Govt. Tenders Accountant has his say when he questions why the lowest bidder is not considered when he matches the specifications. It is toughtime for engineers to convince him that he has matched specs. only on paper. 4) Unfortunately most of the CEOs in corporate sectors are Accountants So we cant hate Accountants but fact is Engineers always consider themselves as superiors as they are creative and deliver the goods.

Hobbies - Car Customizing - Dances with Trees Canada - Member - because I can Hobbies - CNC - too much fun Hobbies - Target Shooting - paper shreader

04/01/2008 10:08 AM

One just has to look at what has happened to the former "Big Three" in the north American auto industry, A mistaken assumption be the accountants in the 50s had brought them to their knees today, Funny thing, the automakers take perfectly good engineers, suck their brains out, and make them directors, read accountants. they could save a step and just use electrical engineers, oooh I am bad, I used my out loud voice.

Mechanical Engineers Rule!

04/01/2008 10:21 AM

There is a perfectly good solution. All accountants are cold for some reason. They all wear sweaters, have space heaters, and sit shivering at their spreadsheets (seriously, go down to their offices and look - you'll spot the space heaters). So, put a dummy thermostat in their office area and hide the real one in engineering. Whenever they start talking about "productivity" (translation: let's lay off some engineers), just turn down the thermostat to about 15°C; it'll keep them busy for weeks. If any engineers complain, just promise them a new scope probe at the end of the month - they'll endure anything for a toy.

In reply to #42

04/01/2008 10:33 AM

...can I have a new scope probe ...? Can I? .... can I?

In reply to #43

04/01/2008 10:52 AM

Be a nice Kitty. Do 2 field service calls in Bosnia. Work an extra weekend. And share your cubicle with 2 interns who don't speak English but eat lots of cabbage. Then we'll see about having your old one calibrated.

In reply to #44

04/01/2008 11:22 AM

I'm a reel egineer I kno wot that little screw on the side of the probe does...but I'm not tellin' else you'll be as clever as wot I are.

In reply to #45

04/01/2008 11:58 AM

Oh that's easy! I know, too. Just put the probe on the mains and turn that screw till you get a square shape. That's a trick the probe salesman taught me. In fact he mentioned it every time he delivered a new probe.

In reply to #47

04/01/2008 1:07 PM

No no... You plug the probe into your ear and twiddle the screw until the voices are clear
Del

In reply to #43

04/01/2008 11:24 AM

me too, me too...

In reply to #43

04/01/2008 12:56 PM

Suuuure you can - at the end of the month...

In the meantime, here's a surrogate...

Good Answers: 7

04/01/2008 2:22 PM

I used to know this accountant and I really liked him.

He built motorbikes, tuned racebikes and didn't treat his accountant job very seriously. He was a very good accountant, also was a member of mensa which probably helped him with numbers. Clever guy and an engineer.

You know what, he hated sales people. And I agree with him on that point merely for his reasoning. Sales people don't ever look at cost, they look at sales. They, like most accountants bar my friend, know absolutely nothing about engineering or accountancy. They sell and to sell they have to lie, now that is the big thing here.

When accountants lie they go to prison. When engineers lie people may die and then they go to prison. Sales people do well when they lie. Let's all hate sales people instead.

Guru

In reply to #50

04/01/2008 3:17 PM

"...Let's all hate..."

Better yet, let's all pity, or even loathe and despise, but PLEASE, not hate. Too much of that in the world already.

Good Answers: 7
In reply to #51

04/01/2008 3:34 PM

That is just the way they talk up in the office. You know they mean hate but you can't prove it

Guru

In reply to #50

04/01/2008 6:02 PM

"Sales people do well when they lie."

People have a weird tendency to engage in behavior that is rewarded, and avoid behavior that is punished.

If they get rewarded for the lie, and they do, then they will lie...

I have often suggested that project managers should have their bonus tied to the first five years of operations, instead of rewarding them for on time and under budget. Maybe you give them a small bonus at turnover for on time and under budget, but five years later there should be a bigger bonus waiting based on how the project performs...

Same with sales guys, maybe a commission on booking the sale, and a second bonus later based on customer is satisfaction....

Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #54

04/01/2008 6:07 PM

Same with sales guys, maybe a commission on booking the sale, and a second bonus later based on customer is satisfaction....

like to add profitablity.

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194

04/02/2008 11:29 PM

I don't like our accountant because he is such a nerd! I'm not talking nerd in the sense that he knows a lot of technical things, but in the fact that he's slow and does his job according to a rote method. He talks a lot, but not to me - I am pretty good at avoiding him. A conversation with him is... yawn...

Mike

04/03/2008 9:18 AM

This is the best bit of entertainment that I have had in a long time - I am practically wetting myself as I read thru' the various responses - It's like I am having a coversation with myself about the accountants and sales people. I am gald to see that I am not alone in my views on these "people"

Guru

In reply to #57

04/03/2008 9:34 AM

Use these...

...and register as a member so you can enjoy this place as a regular. There are far too many 'guests' to keep track of already...

04/03/2008 2:10 PM

I am a Guest on CR4 and I have no intention of registering, actually I think I will get my accountant friends to start using this forum so that we can educate the simple minded engineers (ha ha ha ha)

Guru

In reply to #59

04/03/2008 3:22 PM

It will be too complicated for them...

In reply to #60

04/03/2008 5:26 PM

Oooh, a battle of wits between engineers and accountants. That should be great fun. Although since the accountants are unarmed it would be something of a slaughter.

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #61

04/03/2008 8:55 PM

A Battle of wits against an accountant..... I make it a point to never battle an unarmed man.

In reply to #62

04/03/2008 9:07 PM

Grammar alert : Del and Phoenix911 are in violation of rule of plurals: Thou shalt not use a plural form of a noun when a singular is called for...

It cannot be a battle of 'wits' between engineer and accountants, as only the engineers have wit, therefore, 'wits' is an improper use of plural!

consider thyselves rebuked, and yet ascendant in triumph of wit.

milo Why don't they have a check box that says "Absolutely, this comment is off topic?"

In reply to #63

04/03/2008 9:13 PM

I believe that Del is completely innocent of all charges..

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #64

04/03/2008 9:55 PM

I too believe that Del is completely...???

However he cannot be innocent of all charges, for that would be a neutron, and Del is anything but, a neutron, Here kitty kitty, Dr Schrodinger has a nice box of neutrons for you...

milo

In reply to #66

04/04/2008 3:12 AM

PMSL...now an accountant could never make a smart joke like that

In reply to #64

04/04/2008 8:09 AM

"...Del is completely innocent of all charges..."

In a word, IMPOSSIBLE!!! Some charges perhaps, although I have no idea which ones, but never ALL charges. Crikey, there's some of 'em he wuz BORN guilty of!

In reply to #63

04/03/2008 9:40 PM

wait a sec, nobody said anythin 'bout a battle of gramer and spellin'

In reply to #65

04/03/2008 9:56 PM

Stil waitin

mil

In reply to #59

04/04/2008 7:25 AM

You have friends? I'm shocked!

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #73

04/04/2008 7:56 AM

eriew - a slighly better response than the one's from "del the pussy" but none the less not up to the standard we expected -well then again what would engineers know about standards.

From reading thru' "the how great we are / the world revolves around us" webiste that ye all seem to have going we would have expected better responses than that.

We are actually checking in on this forum every 20mins or so just to have a laugh. It is actually reducing our productivity (not that it was that high in the first place - just thought we would add that before someone else did !!)

And just in case ye are wondering, no we have not bothered to register nor use the Off Topic button

We are off to get our daily dose from our inhalers - thank goodness no engineers were involved in the design/ production of these otherwise we would be screwed !!!!!

lol the accountants

Power-User

In reply to #74

04/04/2008 8:04 AM

You did not specify your location. If you are located in the US, please consider voluteering as a guest on the David Letterman TV show. His program feautures odd ball type of humor. Caution: David will probably make fun of you. David is not an engineer though. If you insist on being made fun of by geek types, stay here and flame.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #74

04/05/2008 4:15 AM

"We are off to get our daily dose from our inhalers - thank goodness no engineers were involved in the design/ production of these otherwise we would be screwed !!!!!"

Did they grow on trees, then?

In reply to #74

04/05/2008 8:31 AM

We are actually checking in on this forum every 20mins or so just to have a laugh.

Even your accountant colleuges can't stand there own, you have to use a engineering forum to make themselved feel better.

Won't the other reindeer let you play their reindeer games, is that's why your here?

It is actually reducing our productivity (not that it was that high in the first place - just thought we would add that before someone else did !!)

was your lost in productivity noticed........ever.

We are off to get our daily dose from our inhalers - thank goodness no engineers were involved in the design/ production of these otherwise we would be screwed !!!!!

Think these inhalers grow on trees.

I really think these guest posters passing as accountants are trying to pull one over.

Have a good day,

phoenix911

In reply to #88

04/07/2008 7:21 AM

I concur - this is just someone having us on. I decided that along about the fourth or fifth post. It's quite obvious some engineering wag with a more warped than usual sense of what passes for humor is writing these posts. No accountant has that much sense of fun...

I also concur with ethobil, ferris, and phoenix911 (and others) that it is more often than not a sense of bewilderment rather than hatred or even disgust - you want it to do bleedin' what?!? But it can't (rotate that way/fit in that space/discharge to ground/work without lubrication/you pick an impossibility) Mate, so how am I to make it the way you want it?!?

So come on, Sunshine, whomever you are that started this thread as a presumptive 'guest', 'fess up, or let it be, but stirring up hornets' nests is only fun for a few for a while. Eventually, someone (a la JohnDG's Dad) gets hurt by the flying glass splinters.

04/04/2008 2:57 AM

Hello all, this is your accountant friends here.

"Why do a lot of engineers dislike accountants so much?" - answer is simple, we get alot more pay and we don't bore the hell out of everyone with our superior attitude. Plus, engineers are told what to do by accountants , for example get me a coffee, wash my car, get my inhaler etc.

As you can see we have not registered either - we really know how to live on the wild side !!!

Oh, bye the way, what is this "Ohms Law" and "magnetism" thing all about ? Can you get these in Starbucks or McDonalds ?

We look forward to hearing from our engineering subordinates .

Guru

In reply to #68

04/04/2008 3:13 AM

'Ohm' is what we chant in our head to remain calm whilst communicating with accountants...

In reply to #68

04/04/2008 8:13 AM

"We look forward to hearing from our engineering subordinates"

Since that is a mythical concept, the silence from here on should be deafening...

In reply to #77

04/04/2008 8:48 AM

Enviro Man - be a good little subordinate engineer and go and get us some coffee, its the only way that you will get a pay rise !!!

In case ye are wondering we actually have some engineers working for us and we often give them bananas as a treat - they are such good little monkeys.

Oh darn, we forgot to register we will try to remember the next time - maybe their will not be a next time. Would ye like that ?

Guru

In reply to #78

04/04/2008 1:39 PM

Stop and think of what you said,

I'll be happy to get accountants coffee, especially when they drink it. ,

funny, they usaully ask for more.

Oh darn, we forgot to register we will try to remember the next time - maybe their will not be a next time. Would ye like that ?

Threats, heck, We're used to excuses from accountants.

enjoy your coffee......

btw, remember this line,

"get your stinking paws off me, you damm ape"

phoenix911

In reply to #78

04/04/2008 5:35 PM

"...be a good little subordinate engineer..."

As usual, far too arrogant and much too ignorant. Had you bothered to read (you CAN read, one would presume, since you seem to sort-of write...) any of the applicable information available here, you might have been apprised of the fact that I am not an engineer. And I haven't a need for additional salary, thank you very much, we do quite well on the current.

For what it's worth, in MY organization, the accountants are the subordinates (as is the natural order of things) and are not IN my direct chain of command. I blessedly even have only to pay lip service to having a budget to follow, inasmuch as what I do is far too important for mere accountants to interfere with.

As to coffee, I suggest you not drink it; it will only give you a worse case of the jitters than you seem to be suffering from already. And for a next time or not, it matters not a whit to me. I only request that should you post here again, that you kindly eschew obfuscation.

In reply to #68

04/04/2008 9:57 AM

Dearest guest provacateur. You said: ""Why do a lot of engineers dislike accountants so much?" - answer is simple, we get alot more pay and we don't bore the hell out of everyone with our superior attitude. Plus, engineers are told what to do by accountants , for example get me a coffee, wash my car, get my inhaler etc."

Clearly the inhalers are for psychotropic meds and yours, dear friend, seem empty.

1) "Accountants get more pay:" Thats why we see you eating one thin slice of acctg opinion- uhh Baloney- on your thin store bought day old bread sandwiches.

2) "We don't bore the hell out of everyone..." TAKE YOUR FLIPPIN MEDS!

3) "...with our superior attitude" if the accountants attitude is a superior one, the race would be extinct

4) "Plus engineers are told what to do by accountants" No, accountants don't ever act or instruct proactively, dear anonymous poster. Accountants wait until the engineers and the operating and maintenance folks have done the heavy lifting, and then in their cute little mr peabody simpering back stabbing voice whisper to the nearest ALPHA MALE : "But they had a 3 cent variance in the wiping rags account."

The reason coffee is fetched for you is that getting the coffee is done per OSHA regulations as Accountants are not licensed to handle quantites of saclding liquids in the workplace. We use our engineering interns to do this so that they can slowly build immunity to your distorted views of what "really counts."

5) "We really know how to live on the wild side" Yes, as a class you sure do. SFAS No 109 comes to mind as an example of the accountant's wild and crazy nature.

Grab a tissue there sport, you're drooling your warm milk all over the keyboard.

milo

In reply to #79

04/04/2008 10:10 AM

Milo - what an execellent response. That is the kind of response that we were looking for, it was funny, intelligent, cutting and had lots of wit. It would appear that you put alot of thought & effort into it.

You get the award for the best response (even if we are at the recieving end of it)

We will leave ye now, so goodbye and it was lots of fun.

lol the accountants.

Anonymous Poster

04/04/2008 4:15 AM

'Ohm' is what we chant in our head to remain calm whilst communicating with accountants...

Is that it ? Is that the best that a "Guru" can come up with. Come on give us something, please. Where is the fun, humour, wit, intelligence - oh we forgot that we are dealing with engineers and they lack these attributes. Del The Cat (or should we say Pussy) are you a salesperson pretending to be a engineer but really wanting to be an accountant ?

Oh, we have not bothered to register either , sorry !!!!! No doubt that this will cause some of you to have sleepless nights !!

We see the off topic button but can't be bothered to click it ? What is it for ?

lol from the accountants (aka your bosses)

Guru

In reply to #71

04/04/2008 5:32 AM

Ohmmmm.
Ohmmmmmm..
Ohmmmmmmmm...
Ohmmmmmmmmmm....
Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

In reply to #71

04/05/2008 11:51 AM

How does an engineer get a one armed accountant out of a tree?.................he waves to him.

In reply to #71

04/11/2008 9:30 PM

Hmmmmmmm, with this sort of a reply towards Del I would expect this to be someone of the KrisDel ilk..., or maybe just the Kris ilk. But alas, the "guest" is just not up to sparring the way that Kris can so I have to put that idea to rest. I hasten to ad, that if you are truly an accountant then maybe you should pay more attention to your payroll or distribution(s) or something that only needs a young pups attention between commercials while watching pbs' kids sprout... . Why. do you refer to you as 'we'? Are you legion? Schizo? Bi-polar? In the third person? Kind of whacked out like smigel in the LOTR.....? Check your doses pal, or at least talk to your shrink about them .

In reply to #95

04/14/2008 3:30 PM

Awww, leave them alone - way I figure it, it's either some snot-nosed pup whose X-box took a dump and is seeking vicarious real-world thrills, or an accountant who didn't have exact change as your tag line requests...

Good Answers: 6

04/04/2008 1:45 PM

I used to work for a company that, at one point, was 'run' by engineers - and it was a successful, well-liked, well-respected company with a fairly healthy balance sheet. Then, gradually, it was taken over by accountants who looked inside, to the bottom line, rather than outside, to the customer and product. The company went downhill quickly, was 'absorbed' by an equally sized company, lost 90% of it's senior talent, then was spun off again by a third company that bought the merged organization. I think that's the key - accountants tend to not look outside the castle walls. Engineers do.

04/04/2008 2:11 PM

The only thing that keeps me from reallying slamming accountants is this: I worked some years ago at a smallish company that had perhaps 8 or 9 accountants. We used timesheets and the company permitted "administrative time" for birthdays, wedding showers, etc. of about an hour and allowed expense reports for small amounts of food for "morale building".

I sat next to the break room and noticed that these 8 or 9 accountants celebrated at least 5 birthdays a month, with cake and ice cream and time off. BTW, there were rarely any presents in evidence. Of course, guess who approved time sheets and expense reports?

04/05/2008 12:42 AM

You all are down stream from the accountants and have to deal with their drivel. But remember that the people down stream from you might be having similar feelings of hmmmmmm, how to put it(?), loathing, annoyance etc. Working in construction, many is the time when an electrical engineer called for something that made NO SENSE at all, none, no how no way. It is not like we dislike, more like we are baffled by decisions made by people that have a keen theoretical sense BUT THAT IS IT. The best electrical engineer (it is said in hushed voices in dark back rooms) is one that has had field experience... at least an engineer that is dealing with construction. End users would be downstream from us and they think of us as if we are all one step above cavemen... Except, for those horny office women

Cheers

Nigeria - Member -  Member

Good Answers: 3

04/06/2008 9:07 AM

In my openion, it is not a case of engineers disliking accountants, rather a case of engineers not confortable with those who do not understand the concept of engineering vis a vis project management. This is more pronounced in the field of cost controlling.

In my case, you are not allowed to stock spare parts, you only get one as necessity demands. Yet when there is equipment failure, you are told on requesting for replacemet that the replacement is not in the budget. You need to be a patient and an unassuming engineer to explain out the urgency of replacing the faulty part.

This is not hypothetical, it is real and has happened to me a number of times. That is part of the frustration faced by engineers while dealing with the money managers in an establshment.

Cheers,

ethobil

04/09/2008 2:55 AM

WE ARE BACK AND HAVE BEEN HAVING A RIGHT LAUGH AT YOUR EXPENSE.

ENGINEERS AND "WOULD BE ENGINEERS" (ENVIROMAN) ARE SO EASY TO WIND UP - IT REALLY IS LIKE TAKING CANDY FROM A BABY.

WE LOVE THE "REALLY INTERESTING" STORIES THAT YE ALL SEEM TO BE ABLE TO TELL - ITS A GREAT WAY TO GO ASLEEP !!!

lol the Accountants (and bye the way we actually are accountants).

Guru

In reply to #92

04/09/2008 1:03 PM

WE ARE BACK AND HAVE BEEN HAVING A RIGHT LAUGH AT YOUR EXPENSE.

I think you mucked up your accounting......again. We had no expenses.

IT REALLY IS LIKE TAKING CANDY FROM A BABY.

Easy Mr. Burns, I think that baby could take you. (Mr. Burns as from "The Simpson")

ITS A GREAT WAY TO GO ASLEEP !!!

I see your at work.

lol the Accountants (and bye the way we actually are accountants)

sure your are. Its nice having you kids here but I sometimes hate being a teacher. wake up and go back to your abacus before your boss sees you.

In reply to #92

04/09/2008 3:57 PM

And just so you kids won't be out-of-pocket at our cause, here's a couple for you...

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (11); billg (1); Bricktop (1); case491 (2); coffeebean (2); Dances with Trees (3); DCaD (3); Del the cat (12); EnviroMan (15); ethobil (1); Ferris (2); geomech (1); Jim at GodwinPumps (1); JohnDG (2); Kilowatt0 (1); merkelerk (1); Mikerho (1); Milo (5); Mr. Guy (1); oldeng (1); OpMan (1); ozzb (1); phoenix911 (8); Ron (2); Skelley (2); Steve S. (6); suresh sharma (1); Switchman (1); TVP45 (5); user-deleted-9 (2)

Previous in Forum: 2007-One of the Warmest Years on Record - NASA   Next in Forum: Excel

Advertisement