Previous in Forum: Purchasing aluminum   Next in Forum: Fire Fighting Systems
Close
Close
Close
Page 1 of 3: « First 1 2 3 Next > Last »
Power-User
United States - Member - Donald here, Campbell Lighting Co. Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

The incredible Backwards Walking Rocking Chair

06/18/2007 12:00 AM

This is for you Brilliant Logistics Engineers out there..

We bought this standard old fashioned looking, but new rocking chair from Cracker Barrel Restaurant, you know the ones out front...

This chair only gets limited mileage use here are grandma and grandpa's house so until now we never discovered it's "Special Talent".

Lately our Daughter has been rocking our new granddaughter, and much to our amazement this chair goes backward while rocking. It will actually take you clear across the room in less than 30 minutes..

WHAT causes this??

Anyone else ever heard of this?

Donald

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User

Good Answers: 1

Re: The incredible Backwards Walking Rocking Chair

06/18/2007 12:15 AM

On a Hardwood floor the chair will slide a bit when atheistically rocked backwards. You keep doing that and you will eventually go far enough to be measured.

Register to Reply
Power-User
United States - Member - Donald here, Campbell Lighting Co. Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

In reply to #1

06/18/2007 12:37 AM

This is not on a hardwood floor, it's on carpet with a nice soft pad.

Donald

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #2

06/18/2007 12:46 AM

The same principal applies. Some rockers are a bit un balanced. The backwards movement I think is more prevalent than the forwards one. Just speaking from experience. The young person is kicking their legs up and throwing their back back into the chair. The force applied to the chair will be to the back. If any movement predominates it will be the backwards one.

I was a child and I slid my great Grandparents and Great Aunt and Uncles chairs all over the place, usually backwards. I recieved punishment at that age for more things than I can possibly mention in a day.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #2

06/19/2007 5:54 AM

Interesting you mentioned pile type carpeting...which suggests one of two explanations. Let's take the carpet explanation. The question is: did you turn the chair around to see, and likewise measure, if the same effect happens?

All pile type carpets are biased, meaning that things on top of them which are free to move (meaning, not impeded by weight or other confinement) will move (even if imperceptibly) under repetitive downward pressure and release. A good example would be that of placing a second (say, a runner) carpet on top of a fastened carpet. After a time of walking across/along the upper carpet, it will be seen to have "migrated" (and always in the same direction of carpet bias) from its original position. (It would not be correct to say that the forces imparted by striding directly causes such migration, since the carpet runner can move laterally as well as longitudinally.) A similar phenomenon can be observed with car floor mats placed on carpeted floor pans. Unless restrained--and even when no (passenger) feet make contact--the floor mats can shift (always in the same direction) simply as a result of vertical forces imparted by vehicle rebound motion & vibration. That said, since your chair and rider have significant weight, it is reasonable to surmise that carpet bias plays a relatively minor part in transporting (even) your chair, either forward or backwards. The greater role is most likely the same as would explain why a rocker migrates across a hard floor.

As the rocker is rocked to and fro on its runners, the runners will undergo repetitive flexure and rebound, storing and releasing tension (energy) and acting much like a leaf spring as the weight is shifted forward and backwards by the rocker rider. It is during the runner rebounds which, depending on how well the runner is able to "grip" the underlying surface, that forward or backwards, horizontal forces will occur which will gradually, almost inperceptibly in some cases, move the chair (while the floor permits the chair to move when its friction resistance is overcome--which could explain why children are usually better able to make rockers "walk"). The dynamic is not altogether unlike sitting on a regular, wooden, four-legged chair and and lurching forward (as in, say, moving towards a table). There the legs will resist horizontal motion (they're not designed to flex) until the force imparted from above is sufficient to overcome resistance by the floor... With the rocker, the force is imparted from below, from the tension gathered in the runners themselves. Interestingly, it is noticably more difficult to "lurch" a rocker than a regular chair.

In all cases of rocker migration when rocked, the chair is simply following the path of least (friction) resistance. Now, if a chair were so designed that tension during rocking motions were equally balanced forward and rearward, then the rocker would not be perceived to have moved...not because it did not move, but because it moved an equal measure in both directions and ended up where it started.

This migration caused by rocking also occurs--if rocked hard enough--with platform rockers such as barcaloungers. In those cases, it is release of compression (in the coils) rather than tension which causes the rocker to buck and move horizontally.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #35

06/19/2007 4:40 PM

Oh yes, about that measuring in both directions & the path of least resistance thing. If the floor is not level, the chair will move "downward" under gravity.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #35

06/21/2007 1:14 PM

You said: "Interesting you mentioned pile type carpeting...which suggests one of two explanations. Let's take the carpet explanation. The question is: did you turn the chair around to see, and likewise measure, if the same effect happens?"

My wife said it doesn't matter what direction the rocker is in, it will always move backwards.. BTW this carpet is Armstrong Stainmaster with 3/4" foam padding.

Donald..

http:www.donNshelly.com

Good Answers: 49
In reply to #48

06/21/2007 11:25 PM

OK, I just did some experimentation of my own. When you rock, you go fairly far past the center of gravity in the backward direction. When you rock forward, you pretty much bring yourself into alignment to the center of gravity. So 99.99999999999999% of the force is directed backward.

Get in the chair and try it for yourself, the nice part about rocking is that you go backward over the center of gravity, and then just about come up to the center of gravity in the forward direction. But it's that backward tilt that is so satisfying.

So if most of the force is directed backwards, I get the feeling that the carpet actually acts as a lubricant, which on with you slip in a backward direction.

Now pay me my $35.00!!!!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662
In reply to #1

06/19/2007 1:44 PM

Hi ! is this a typo?

"when atheistically rocked backwards"

Or do rocking chairs respond to one's beliefs (or lack of)?

Maybe agnostic rocking will make it just waver a little?

United States - Member - Technical Fields - Education - Hobbies - Hunting - Popular Science - Weaponology -

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #1

06/21/2007 9:07 AM

Athiestically?

United States - Member - USA Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Never enough money

Good Answers: 4

06/18/2007 1:06 AM

I would first look at the rockers of the chair, my guess is that they are not reasonably parallel with each other and causing the chair skoot backwards with each rocking motion. A similar idea is the ball that seems to roll up hill in defiance of the laws of gravity but in truth the ball is falling through the ever widening rails it sits on.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

06/18/2007 2:26 AM

The carpet could be the cause of the motion.

The bristles (fiber) might all be pointing in one direction and do cause a shift.

Can you try the same stunt facing the other way?

In reply to #5

06/21/2007 1:16 PM

We did, same results...

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #49

06/21/2007 1:36 PM

..same direction within the room or same direction relative to the rocker?

In reply to #52

06/25/2007 1:23 PM

Hello Andy,

My wife just said that it doesn't matter which direction the rocker is in, it always moves backward while rocking.

Donald

06/18/2007 2:56 AM

I reserve the right to be wrong on this, 2 possibilities (weakest first!)

Sounds like a 'nap' problem with either the floor surface or the underside of the rockers.

Like the way some fabrics have a distinct direction to the nap (like pile in a carpet) such that if you stroke it one way it feels smooth, but it feels rough the other way, and it will creep along you if you stroke a small piece of fabric.

Assuming the rockers are wood maybe the grain is causing a similar effect?

Alternatively (and probably more likely) it's just pure physics to do with the shape of the rockers, inertia and how the centre of gravity shifts as it is being rocked (The appication of 'rocking force' is probably mostly on one stroke, making the whole thing assymetric.

Just for fun I made a walking circuit board at work once...it had 4 thin copper wire legs all sloping back at about 45%, I put a small DC motor on the board with an offset weight on the shaft so it vibrated, add a battery and switch...leave it on the bench with a 'Do not switch on' message (with a smiley so they knew it was a joke)....

It ran across the bench nicely!

(or maybe its telekenisis?!)

Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 81

06/18/2007 11:19 PM

Just a suggestion. the rocker legs will have a flat length at the back to stop it tipping over, so that the inertia is not enough to overcome the turning moment, so any force that tries to lift the CofG will slide the rocker backwards, why the carpet does not move back also I dont know, perhaps it streaches and moves back into place. I think this answer may the same as above?

Register to Reply
Guru

06/19/2007 12:35 AM

It's because the chair is haunted by an evil, ex-customer of the Cracker Barrel Restaurant! Leave the chair and get out of your house as fast as you can...

And as a special favor to you, I will gladly purchase your satanically haunted house for, say, $35.00?

06/19/2007 12:43 AM

Newton's Law of Motion.

1. There must be more force on the back swing than the front swing.
  2. The coefficient between the Chair and Floor are not great enough to withstand the increase of force in the rear swinging motion.
  • Newton's First Law of Motion

· Every body continues in its state of rest,
or of uniform motion in a straight line,
unless it is compelled to change that state
by forces impressed upon it.

1. F=Mass*Acceleration (F=ma)

· Newton's Second Law

Whenever an object accelerates, the acceleration is:

a) Directly proportional to the NET force acting on the object;
b) pointing in the same direction as the net force; and
c) inversely proportional to the mass of the object.

• Newton's Third Law
  • Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

You can find more information at http://www.avg-aerospace.com/html/newtons_law.html

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

06/19/2007 1:37 AM

Like I said, they're haunted by poltergiests from hell! Oooooooooo!

(Newton's little-known Fourth Law)

So how about that $35.00? Huh?

Good Answers: 33
In reply to #10

06/23/2007 4:44 PM

Newton?... who the heck is Newton?

I'll give you 36 bucks for the chair!

In reply to #60

06/23/2007 10:59 PM

Shhhhhhhhhh! I'm working on a deal for the house!

In reply to #9

06/19/2007 2:47 AM

Dear Guest,

While your post is all true it adds nothing to an answer.

Hey that's odd...this post does exactly the same!

Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Who am I?

Good Answers: 51

06/19/2007 2:11 AM

I've observed this before. If I rocked a little more vigorously, the thing would move backward slowly. I asked my brother to sit and rock the same way as I looked at the rocker legs (don't know what the proper term is).

I put a mark on the legs so that I can see where they landed and I noted that the position would shift with every backward rock. My initial thought was this was due to the fact that most of the weight was towards the back. The chair was being flung backwards with enough force to move it. The forward rock is not as powerful so it doesn't tend to move forward.

In reply to #11

06/19/2007 3:01 AM

OK, to be serious for a second... Consider that in all rocking chairs, the center of gravity is such that the rock forward does not cross the center of gravity very far. However, the backward part of the rock passes so far beyond the center of gravity that the chair is forced to regain it's point of equilibrium over the center of gravity by creeping backwards. It's either that or over-you-go!

I'm just sayin', the $35.00 is still on the table... What do you say?

In reply to #13

06/19/2007 3:04 AM

He's trying to rip you off...

I can telepathically de-hauntimicate the whole house for a mere $99.99.

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #13

06/19/2007 4:39 AM

the center of gravity is such that the rock forward does not cross the center of gravity very far

If by '..the rock forward... ' you mean 'point of contact' , you'd better warn Granny. Cross that point with the cog , and her teeth might not fit again (unless she has a platform type rocker).

In reply to #32

06/19/2007 4:49 AM

You're right. If forward motion did cross the center of gravity very far the occupant would be heading for a face plant.

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #32

06/19/2007 11:23 AM

Off topic -- Kris what is happening to poor "Nutkin"

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - United Kingdom - Member - Get things done!

Good Answers: 3

06/19/2007 3:06 AM

I've seen this before (I can't remember the circumstances, unfortunately). It's probably precession, a tiny variation in one or both of the rockers that over a period of time add up to a large effect.

In reply to #15

06/19/2007 3:13 AM

If I were you, I'd be more concerned about the Incredible Messed Up Avatar Gif File! I tried inverting you colors... That sure as heck wasn't it!

Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - United Kingdom - Member - Get things done!

In reply to #16

06/19/2007 3:19 AM

The powers that be are working on it!

Good Answers: 24
In reply to #16

06/19/2007 3:22 AM

Verm, how about it's bows are elastic enough to maintain squirming type of motion?

Some, by default, will squirm forward, some backward

It's like this following description of bipedal walking: You lean forward, then send a leg forward to avoid toppling-over, then shift the whole body over this leg towards the next leaning forward.

Ice cream anyone?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

06/19/2007 3:29 AM

Possible. Possible.

Do you suppose relativity has anything to do with it? A rocking frame of reference? Wouldn't it be great if all the geeks could go faster than the speed of light as long as they were in rocking chairs. My guess is they'd be too embarrassed to do it.

"C'mon, dude! Let's go!"

"No! There might be a girl out there! I don't wanna look like a dork!"

In reply to #19

06/19/2007 3:37 AM

"...faster than the speed of light as long as they were in rocking chairs..."

An image comes to mind, the guy dipped in his armchair hair blown back, in the 70's Memorex tape ad:

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #22

06/19/2007 4:03 AM

Wait! I remember this...

"The Incredible Mutant Turtle Backwards Walking Chair" by Marx!!!

In reply to #16

06/19/2007 3:29 AM

But it gets attention, doesen't it?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

06/19/2007 3:30 AM

"Yah! Dork attention!!!"

In reply to #21

06/19/2007 3:39 AM

Did you see the all-stomping boot in Kris' new avatar?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

06/19/2007 4:01 AM

Yeah. I'm not liking it too much.

In reply to #24

06/19/2007 4:08 AM

But it means that he started experimenting with his presented image, and that's a lot in my book.

Emancipation, I say.

I was so anal about having an avatar in the firs place, then came the smoking ape to relieve me of my initial inhibitions.

Yeah, I know, now I'm stuck with this Marx-cat, but, hey, at least it has some familiar features to be considered a trade-mark.

Not mine, Groucho's.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #26

06/19/2007 4:12 AM

As long as it isn't a personal statement.

In reply to #27

06/19/2007 4:22 AM

What isn't? It all is, this way or another. But, what the heck.

It's like saying "My quote was taken out of context" or "My views have no political implications"

It was, and it has. Everything has to do with everything.

- Yuval dear, did you take your medication today?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #30

06/19/2007 6:44 AM

Stop talkin while I'm interupting you.. As you will see , I have a horse race to win,

In reply to #37

06/19/2007 6:49 AM

Hey Kris you need to put your foot down!

In reply to #38

06/19/2007 7:47 AM

Somebody did it to me . The question is , who ? P'raps oi was cort 'aff inchin' carr'ts < OHMSS >

don't ee fret none Del.

< darn , it do sound like poirate , but it aint be >

summon in a dirty mac maybeez

06/19/2007 4:16 AM

this is a well known phenomeneon called Coriolis Effect.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #28

06/19/2007 4:18 AM

Yes, but it makes the chair go the other way in the Southern hemisphere.

In reply to #28

06/19/2007 4:23 AM

Fivestar calamari.

Register to Reply
Guru

06/19/2007 4:48 AM

Just to clarify: Is this the very chair in question?

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97
In reply to #33

06/19/2007 9:07 AM

The real cause - Dirty little feet. Six small feet to the front = 1 inch to the rear.

In reply to #33

06/21/2007 1:21 PM

No, that is not the same chair, but Shelly said where can she get one, the grandkids keep popping out like popcorn... and we love em all... :o)

Donald

In reply to #50

06/21/2007 1:34 PM

Donald,

I found it here

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 37

06/19/2007 6:32 AM

As the above photo shows, the rockers should not be parallel or you will get overly backward motion. However it's easier, when making them, to make all legs equal and square. Look at all the money I saved you on seances and unhauntings. For that I only charge $ 25.00. Please put it on my account

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

06/19/2007 10:44 AM

Its the carpet pile, nothing more nothing less.

In reply to #41

06/19/2007 1:24 PM

You guys are crazy.. haha

Somehow I knew this question would take on a life of it's OWN. ha

Thanks for all the comments, it will take me weeks to respond :o)

In the mean time, buy some LED hehe

Donald

United States - Member - Technical Fields - Education - Hobbies - Hunting - Popular Science - Weaponology -

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #43

06/21/2007 9:18 AM

I guess I must weigh in with my theory....most rocking chairs have runners (bows, rockers, whatever you call them...) that are not parallel, but instead are closer together in the back than in the front. My theory is that the legs that hold the runners flex as the rocker rocks. The chair propels much like you would on Rollerblades. Try this as an experiment: Put on some roller blades, hold your feet at an angle to one another. Squeeze in with you legs. You find that you propel in the direction of the the vertex of the angle...

In reply to #47

06/21/2007 11:15 PM

Pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries, pizza, french fries...

In reply to #53

06/22/2007 4:47 AM

wonder how guru got so many posts?

Register to Reply
Guru
Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Who am I?

In reply to #55

06/22/2007 4:53 AM

He just types whatever's on his mind. Right now he's got one of those pesky thoughts that keeps bugging you (like a song that doesn't want to go away?). He's typing them in, hoping that they'll transfer to someone else's mind.

I think I'm going to McDonalds later. I've suddenly got a strange urge to eat french fries.

In reply to #56

06/22/2007 8:03 PM

Oh, I see. Kinda like when folks retire to the rocking chair and get zoned out thinking on more active days. Hmm, now that bouncing avatar with glazed over eyes takes on profound significance.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #57

06/22/2007 8:08 PM

Haven't you guys ever gone skiing?!

In reply to #58

06/23/2007 1:45 AM

Are you doing a downhill Salami ?

In reply to #58

06/23/2007 10:52 PM

No, there's no snow in the Philippines. I've tried grass skiing though. Might not be the same thing, experience-wise. Is that how you do it? Thinking about pizza and french fries as you go downhill?

In reply to #62

06/23/2007 11:05 PM

French fries speeds you up and pizza slows you down... I won't bother you with the details of how this is applied.

A suggestion - try the grass skiing again, only cover the grass with a plastic tarp and make sure it's good and wet!

In reply to #64

06/24/2007 2:35 AM

So is it onomatopoeia mmmmm? It could just be a sugar rush from fries , followed by a stodgy pizza break.

In reply to #62

06/24/2007 2:30 AM

Did the Koreans bring you snow last Christmas ? These days a lot of UK towns have snow machines at Christmas for fun (the real stuff is scarcer). Younger people who haven't seen much before love it. The effect must be bizarre in the Phillipines.

In reply to #65

06/24/2007 7:30 PM

Ah, yes, I've heard about that. I don't know if it's come to fruition though. Baguio city is a cold city (relatively speaking, goes down to 12ºC in December).

I've talked to other Filipinos who've seen snow and you can really see the effect it has on them when they saw it for the first time. Personally, I've never seen it.

There was one time, however, when sleet fell on our house in Manila back in 1998. Unfortunately, I wasn't in town that time. My brother, hearing the sound of heavy rain, immediately ran out to get a cool shower. He got more than he bargained for because the ground and other surfaces were full of ice!

This has never happened before and, to my knowledge, has not happened again.

In reply to #78

06/24/2007 10:58 PM

Hoping that your brother was OK , I'm having a good laugh imagining him explaining why he was late from some meeting or other . ' Sorry I'm late , but I slipped on some ice '. Being able to use such a line in the Philippines would have kept me in conversation for years !

In reply to #62

06/24/2007 2:40 AM

I think he means: upchuck pizza and fries as he goes down the hill. Note the eyes rolling back in their sockets. Gotta be nausea.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #67

06/24/2007 3:59 AM

Kebab , chips ,,, kebab , chips,,, Kebab , chips ,,, kebab , chips,,,Kebab , chips,,, kebab , chips,,, Kebab , chips ,,, kebab , chips,,,

zzzzzzzzz

In reply to #68

06/24/2007 7:23 AM

OK, and here we go! One, two, one, two, one, two...

In reply to #69

06/24/2007 7:35 AM

Whale oil. Beef put on a big metal spike.

In reply to #70

06/24/2007 7:55 AM

You're getting warmer.

In reply to #71

06/24/2007 8:01 AM

You clearly bounce if you step off a cliff. I am not jumping with you fluff-head !

In reply to #72

06/24/2007 8:11 AM

That's Mister Fluff-head!!!

In reply to #73

06/24/2007 8:20 AM

I see no evidence to support that claim. Challenge me on this if you wish, but you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?'

In reply to #74

06/25/2007 12:42 AM

Yeah! You old avatar is back! We missed you!

In reply to #80

06/25/2007 1:00 AM

Aww, thank you vermin ! So kind.

I may dress as 'Jack' soon , but you will have to look around to find him. Jack has been out twice so far. He can be found in Olde London Towne.

In reply to #81

06/25/2007 1:56 AM

Who the hell is Jack?!

In reply to #82

06/25/2007 2:53 AM

R.I.P.?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #82

06/25/2007 3:16 AM

I think he means Mr J. T. R, Ipper, surgeon general to HM Queeny. (OFF WITH HIS HEAD!)

P.S. I've got it! You work for Satan!

In reply to #84

06/25/2007 3:37 AM

OK, so you're talking about Jack the Ripper?! What a misogynist idea!!!

He must like young boys. N.A.M.B.L.A.? - The National Association of Marlin Brando Look Alikes.

In reply to #85

06/25/2007 3:45 AM

Ask nice and I'll change. I did give you a clue that even Paris Hilton could follow.

You jump to the wrong conclusions !

In reply to #86

06/25/2007 4:08 AM

Let's see...

Jack Frost

Jack be nimble, Jack be quick...

Jack, as in money

Jack of all trades

Jack (which you don't know)

Jack S*%t

Jack and Jill

Jack, the water rat...

Jack-o-lantern

Jack up the car and see what's wrong...

Jack off (I didn't say that! It was a hacker!)

Jack as in money

Jack and the Bean Stalk

Jack Sprat...

I'm running out of Jack's here... Are you playing Jacks?!

In reply to #87

06/25/2007 4:27 AM

I am Spring Heeled !

ah hhah hah hahah ahahahha ahhahahahhaha ha hahah h ahahhaa hahhhahahahahahhahahha aha hahahahaha hahh ahgghgahgahahhahhaahhagahhahhahhahahahahah

In reply to #90

06/25/2007 4:29 AM

What the hell is that dorky thing?! It looks like something out of Batman vs. Dracula!!!

In reply to #91

06/25/2007 4:32 AM

I am indeed impressive , and pre-date the caped clown. YOU have unleashed me vermin !

In reply to #93

06/25/2007 4:39 AM

OK, so you're a pre-modern version of R. Crumb's "Boigie Baxter!" Not much of a deal, seeing as how the end of each episode wound up with Baxter getting dosed with Thorazine!!!

In reply to #87

06/25/2007 7:09 PM

Take some pity on yourself. You did'nt look at the avatar? that used to be? It would have excluded the other jacks, don't you see? Or maybe we're now seeing Jack with Wings.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #86

06/25/2007 4:21 AM

Hah, you need one of these........

In reply to #88

06/25/2007 4:25 AM

Send me one! I'll wear it!!!

In reply to #89

06/25/2007 4:30 AM

Me too. But isn't she out now ?

06/23/2007 6:47 PM

Hey wait. Looks as if everyone has it all wrong...about that chair, I mean.

Campbell specifically indicated brilliant logistics engineers, so that rules out everything responded so far (except maybe the part about sliding to the bottom of a hill). Not sure how logistics would affect a rocking chair; or, for that matter, what logistics means in Arkansas. I'm guessing that it's a WalMart buzzword that's entered the hill country vernacular. After all, what is Walmart if not logistics? So it's probably one of those words people there think they need to mumble a lot if they hope to advance on the corporate ladder? Or get supply contracts with the behemoth?

So maybe Campbell really wants to know why WalMart rocking chairs are okay when they leave the factory, but go backwards by the time Cracker Barrel gets them and they eventually reach customers' homes? Why it is that: before shipping the rockers, the "work (of rocking) has its own reward"; but in a customer's home, "the harder I rock the behinder I get"(?).

Sounds a bit like what the big store has been trying so hard to figure out: why its stock keeps going backward with each new step--each new store opening--forward. For that answer only a logistics engineer (whatever that might be) will do?

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #61

06/25/2007 1:51 PM

Main Entry: lo·gis·tics
Function: noun plural but singular or plural in construction
Pronunciation: lO-'jis-tiks, l&-
Etymology: French logistique art of calculating, logistics, from Greek logistike art of calculating, from feminine of logistikos of calculation, from logizein to calculate, from logos reason
1 : the aspect of military science dealing with the procurement, maintenance, and transportation of military matériel, facilities, and personnel

2 : the handling of the details of an operation

Mission, if you choose to accept it: Discover how said incredible Backwards Walking Rocking Chair migrates Backwards,( logistic thinking) Also we in Arkansas, me and the Waltons, and the Tysons, and the Clintons, and the Rockefellers, all understand that anyone involved in logistics, seeks to understand the detailed operation of moving a product, part, etc, from point A to point B.

Point A. Center of the living room (at 1:00pm CST) Rocking chair in question with Grandmother, and granddaughter in place

Point B. Up against the wall behind them, (at 1:20 PM CST)

Guest,

If you choose to critisize, and mock people, and areas of the country where YOU think all the ignorant people live, and last but not least the Largest retailer in the WORLD, at least post with all of us knowing WHO you are, so we can consider the source, and realize that you don't have anything of value to say..

In reply to #97

06/25/2007 7:45 PM

What a gap to fill; but let me try as succinctly as I can.

Alas, when it was purchased and used, it was no longer a product (no longer seeking to be purchased or life-cycle supported by its maker, or otherwise under contract)--unless you return or exchange it under warranty.

Now, if you say that you intended to move things (across a room, say) on the chair (including but not limited to cracker barrels?)--that that particular chair was anticipated to move incredibly, as you say--now that could involve logistics: but only your own, personal logistics--i.e., why is the chair not transporting occupants according to your, or the promised, specifications? See the difference? I think we have here a case of "tyranny of the dictionary"?

By the weigh, I like TexOkArkLadelphians. Cuz I wuns wuz one. They can keep the show-me-MO's though.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 59

06/24/2007 12:23 PM

I'll ignore the strangeness (logistics, etc. - far too subtle or devious for me). So here are a couple of a dumb physically-based theories; I believe both would have this effect, depending on the design of the chair.

Theory 1: Doubtless this rocking chair has a back. When you rock forwards, your momentum is reduced gradually, but when you go backwards, you can hit the back of the chair (albeit quite gently). So you get sharp impulses in the backwards direction that are sufficient to overcome friction - but not in the forwards direction, because there is nothing to hit. (This could be checked by rocking the chair the same distance when empty)

Theory 2: The runners at the front are short enough that the chair rises onto the ends at the limits of the swing. When it recovers onto the curved section of the runners, the chair is moving backwards and downwards, the downwards movement causes the chair to bounce, allowing the whole thing to move backwards.
N.B.1 that rocking chairs should normally limit like this in the forwards direction before they do in the backwards direction; this is a safety feature, as you have your feet to stop you toppling forwards, but nothing to stop a backwards somersault.
N.B.2 - more gradual changes in the curvature of the runners can be used for same reason - and can cause similar mileage.
N.B.3 - I recollect* one rocking chair that tended to move forwards. As I doubtless misremember, the runners at the back were long but became straight, so the safety was achieved by rising on the ends - and the excess length meant this wasn't a safety problem.

*These comment are the fruits of time wasted in childhood over fifty years ago - so my forgetory could be at fault.

Fyz

P.S. My thanks (and probably everyone else's curses) to r&ddoc for providing the link.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #75

06/24/2007 12:46 PM

Fyz , you have made a fundametal assumption that a 'chair' has a back. In the spirit of logic I, Iquestion this. Humming the tune 'Two little boys' may assist in trashing my point here ,

In reply to #76

06/25/2007 1:43 PM

That is not what I meant when I said "Back off, Kris".

(Given that Donald Campbell answered the post that has a picture of a chair that includes a back, and did not make any remarks on the subject, I think we should assume that his chair is not backless)

Fyz

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #96

06/25/2007 4:54 PM

It is my purpose in life to re-interpret peoples intended meaning. Sort of spices life up , a bit like my selective hearing.

In reply to #98

06/25/2007 5:13 PM

Is that Pimms you're drinking? Whoops, that's a way to get legless, not backless. But perhaps it explains the 'selective' bits?

Fyz

Register to Reply
Register to Reply Page 1 of 3: « First 1 2 3 Next > Last »
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (2); Anonymous Poster (16); calamari (1); Campbell Lighting (9); charsley99 (1); CowAnon (2); DAG (2); dbdwoods (2); Del the cat (5); Hendrik (2); jdretired (1); Kris (52); Physicist? (18); PlbMak (7); r&ddoc (17); Richard L (1); user-deleted-5 (1); vermin (57); Vulcan (5); Yuval (14)

Previous in Forum: Purchasing aluminum   Next in Forum: Fire Fighting Systems
You might be interested in: Logistics Software, Logistics Services, Pagers

Advertisement