Previous in Forum: Airships   Next in Forum: Levling Question
Close
Close
Close
Page 2 of 3: « First < Prev 1 2 3 Next > Last »
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

Stupid questions: should we answer them or not?

03/17/2008 12:16 PM

Hello contributors.

During an exchange of ideas with two gurus on this forum, I realized that we might have a problem. Some lazy or even evil-minded people are posting stupid or dubious questions, possibly showing a lack of respect for our community of contributors or even looking for using our solutions in questionable purposes.

For the lazy ones (sometimes asking to do their school homework in their place or not even trying Google or other search engine first), I would say to simply ignore them. Why get angry or ridicule them for discouraging to not waste our time?

Another category is the silly/stupid questions. Some argued that they are insulting our intelligence or de-rating the quality of our engineering forum. But what if someone could have that Eureka moment triggered by a silly/stupid question? It happened not only once in history. What if... For these ones, I would just make fun, like many of us. Or consider it as a possibility. It depends.

If for the first two categories of questions I'm not very sure how to react, for the evil/dubious ones I have a categoric answer: prevent any information leak that might help the evil. Intervene and ask everyone to restrain themselves in offering their knowledge and ideas.

Being such a diverse community, the topic is not simple. I'm interested in your comments.

Thanks

Michael

Register to Reply
User-tagged by 1 user
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Location: Earth. England/America -the birthplace of the C. S. A. - anywhere I imagine -home.
Good Answers: 33
In reply to #160
Find in discussion

Re: Stupid questions: should we answer them or not?

03/26/2008 5:56 PM

It was late and I was tired.

If you don't even know there are bullets or what they are you can't fear them until one hits you. I was not speaking of the religious part of the various religions, but of the accumulated wisdom in how to behave.

Please, go back to sleep Mr. Giant, it was just a passing thought.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 411
In reply to #159
Find in discussion

03/25/2008 10:04 AM

Tagana,

Your comment;

There are books that have compiled the wisdom of generations into rules of behavior

Rules differ in society or environment, depending what the norm is, an example what may seem barbaric to you may be an accepted behavior to another.

phoenix911

Good Answers: 49
In reply to #161

03/26/2008 12:04 AM

Ya know, this World view of what's bad in one country is OK in another is rather dated...

Back in the mid to late eighties, a bunch of philosophy students were coming out of universities from all over the world. Since all the big thoughts had already been thought on, these philosophers simply studied other philosophers work - Oh, then there was ethics to think about, too.

Anyway, these philosophers came to one unanimous agreement (which in itself is a miricle)... The agreement was that certain things that are horrible in one country, are for the most part horrible in basically all countries.

For example, female genital mutilation is basically a bad thing, no matter where it's practiced. And, female infanticide was not very OK, either. Oh, and then there is the practice of throwing burning cooking gas on the new bride so the family can marry their son to another woman and get s second dowry. And for some reason that I can't figure out, they considered human trafficking bad, as well.

Now, these philosophers hate George Bush just about as much as any sane person does, and decided not to try to stop these incidents of universal human suffering by going in with tanks and bombs. Instead, they typically work through the United Nations, and try to use gentle persuasion and sometimes money to stop these practices.

In closing, I'm not saying that the US is in possession of the moral high-ground. These movements were started by countries all over the World. This is an international movement among ethicists, many from the countries where these behaviors are practiced - And no... It's not always OK in another country.

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #163

03/26/2008 3:11 AM

Yowza ! I gave you a vote because it was a good post. It might not strictly meet the criteria, but it does demonstrate how to give a good responce.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #163

03/26/2008 9:45 AM

vermin,

I agree on your post.

your comment;

Back in the mid to late eighties, a bunch of philosophy students were coming out of universities from all over the world.

when you bring people from all over, and exposed them to liberty and if not democracy, at least freedom of expression.

they bring that back home, It still takes time to change the norms at home, usually a generation.

The example I'm thinking about is China.

phoenix911

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #163

03/26/2008 12:12 PM

I am not sure the UN has a good track record for accomplishing lofty goals such as universal human rights. Admittedly, they promote the concepts, but frequently it appears that they do not take any effective action when necessary, i.e. Rwanda, Liberia, Darfur, Afghanistan, etc.. In my opinion the UN is a mostly failed attempt at a lofty goal corrupted by inactivity, which is problematic since my, as well as other US citizens, taxes are primary funding source for the UN. Unfair taxation with out appropriate and effective representation something one of those philosophers considered from the past. The idea of throwing money at a problem is not usually the answer, it is just a way for people who have a lot of money to feel like they have done something. Real ideological problems are not something money solves, and frequently it just incites violence and corruption. It is quite simply giving a man a fish rahter than teaching him to fish, and some men are adamantly against any fishing because they believe god has told them fish are some sort of sin. So you spend money to teach them what some philosopher believes is correct, and the man views you as some spoiled foreigner trying to force your views on them (much like the christian missionaries a century ago, who thought their beliefs were a universally correct philosophy), a heretic, or even the tongue of the devil (for which he may have you stoned). So sometimes you need a show of force to support those doing the teaching, but a lion chained down, and if they test the lions range and each time they get close the lions chain is tightened down more, well you can see eventually they realize it is nothing but a show. So now you need to actually demonstrate that you will utilize the power they observe in that show. I believe that the job of UN peace keeper probably has a higher mortality rate than soldiers in iraq, because they must get shot before discussing shooting back. Peace only works when you can defend it. Bullies don't attack people who will effectively fight back, they don't want to take the risk (The UN never effectively fights back under its own power). Most zealots only fight for lost causes that they believe may lead them to martyrdom, status, and heaven (except the true zealots, which are extremely rare who die for a causebecause they so strongly believe that something better in death will come to them for their sacrifice in life). However, Bullies will continue or escalate activities against people who pay them not to bully them, and zealots frequent take strong offense to the concept of a bribe. Esoteric philosophy is a good thing to get us talking in academic circles, but has very little application in real world activities as the other guy frequently hasn't taken the time to have a similar philosophic discourse to derive a similar set of ethics (in otherwords the other guy doesn't believe he is the bad guy). I believe that Theodore Roosevelt was correct in his statement "walk softly and carry a big stick".

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #166

03/26/2008 12:28 PM

RCE,

your comment,

I am not sure the UN has a good track record for accomplishing lofty goals such as universal human rights.

Stop being so diplomatic, I think your sure.

phoenix911

In reply to #167

03/26/2008 2:46 PM

Actually, I would still say not sure, but the evidence of past UN interventions to address severe immediate human rights violations provides a strong argument against an adequate UN accomplishment of such objectives. However, I, like all people in fact, am only privy to a limited amount of information, but from that limited information it appears that debate, bureaucracy, and inaction or passivity is more of the course the UN follows with regards to responding to Human Rights Violations. In truth I would not care much or even pay attention to the activities of the UN, if it were not for the fact that my government, utilizing my taxes, is a primary source of funding and man power for the UN.

Guru

In reply to #168

03/26/2008 3:42 PM

yes your right, with out this privy information one can not say for certain that the U.N. is ineffective.

I for one, think that is convenent, considering the U.S. supplies a large amount of U.N.'s funding.

In reply to #166

03/26/2008 4:33 PM

If you consider the lofty ideals of the UN, I agree it is somewhat disappointing. However, remember that the idea of all these representatives of the World sitting around, and solving the World's problems is pure delusion.

No one in the UN makes any type of decision except for the UN Security Council, which consists of only a very few members. Do you know their names and do you remember their agendas? These are the people that make the UN as important as a Nevada Boxing Commissioner!

Anyway, that's not my point. My point is simply that if something happens in a different country, it doesn't automatically make it OK. I believe this is the current way of thinking about other cultures.

Location: Earth. England/America -the birthplace of the C. S. A. - anywhere I imagine -home.
Good Answers: 33
In reply to #161

03/26/2008 6:06 PM

The great majority of people seem to hold to many of the same rules of behavior, those are the ones I was speaking of, not some isolated tribes of cannibals, thieves and liars. There are more values in common than there are different among people.

In reply to #173

03/27/2008 12:29 AM

I agree with you. However, certain behaviors do need to be addressed... If you remember what I said about the practice of getting rid of the first bride to get another dowry, you might be surprised that over the Indian sub-continent, there are an estimated 85,000 occurrences of this per year!!!

Now that's scary!!!

In reply to #174

03/27/2008 2:31 AM

It's the same kind of logic whereby some countries punish rape with flogging, and even execution. Punishment of the female victim, that is. It's not long since Western women were considered a man's property, but to punish the victim of a crime takes barbarity several steps beyond irrational.

In reply to #176

03/27/2008 11:43 AM

Hmm, so given the prevalence of these behaviors amongst the 2nd and 3rd world countries, and the high populations densities of the countries where the practices occur, is it likely that more people the accept and believe in these practices than not? Wouldn't this fact make these practices more popular and generally accepted than our viewpoint. So maybe our viewpoint is not a universally accepted position of what qualifies as proper behaviors.

Guru

In reply to #178

03/27/2008 12:06 PM

is it likely that more people the accept and believe in these practices than not? Wouldn't this fact make these practices more popular and generally accepted than our viewpoint.

It does not have to be accepted to take place. It may occur due to religious, political and tyranny practices that is occur in the country.

And a good point on the norms is that what may seem like tyranny to me in one country, is common an accepted or I should say expected practice in that same country, which they would view it as a norm, (or an unacceptable norm to the populous).

phoenix911

In reply to #179

03/27/2008 1:47 PM

I would contend that an expected norm in a population that is not popularly disavowed and actively disapproves is tacitly accepted.

Guru

In reply to #182

03/27/2008 4:14 PM

Nice wording, I had to look up the word tacitly.

An example of what reenforces my earlier posts is Tiananmen Sqaure, when a culture is engrain, and change comes slowly, but it comes;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananmen_Square_protests_of_1989

In reply to #182

03/27/2008 5:00 PM

Tacitly accepted by some maybe, endured under duress by others. If people are gagged by fear of torture/death you can't judge by what they do or don't say.

In reply to #185

03/27/2008 6:51 PM

The idea of tacit acceptance versus duress is a bit tricky, since many of the nazi war criminals captured by the israelis made the claim that to speak against the government would have been perilous to their own health, and there was stong evidence to support the belief that even peaceful demonstration against the regime would lead to your execution. However, they were still found guilty even though they were just following order rather than be killed themselves. Yet the first practicioners of modern Terrorism against the British government after WWII, a documented crime against humanity, later became prime ministers and leaders in the Israeli government. So obviously the israelis perceive crimes against humanity in a somewhat biased light based on the environment of the time and their agenda.

Additionally, the population who feel the direct threat of execution is typically relatively small. More often it is the fear of loss of status, home, wealth, family, etc. that keeps people from speaking out against a perceived violation of rights. The truth is there is really no acceptable duress excuse that justifies allowing what a person truly believe is a heinous crime against humanity to continue, and people will (and frequently do at the cost of their lives) speak out if the crime is inhumane in their perception. When something is bad enough people will speak out. The problem is these people do not perceive these acts as really being that bad or possible that the greater good is met even though some minor crime is committed. They have, therefore, tacitly accepted the "crimes". What is a real threat to one group may not be a suitable justification in the views of another. Additionally, the real world concept of what is inhumane is always relative to the society and the existing quality of life in which these acts are committed. We now think many actions taken by the US government against native americans in the 1800's were inhumane, but the populations as a whole generally did not consider genocide inhumane, or even understand it exactly, at that time inhumane (as long as we were not speaking about their ethnic group obviously). Terrorism by muslims committed now is a crime against humanity, however, the first practioners of terrorism against the british government in the late 1940s are now considered leaders of an independence movement, and became the heads of the Israeli government through the 1980s. These words in the real world are all relative. Duress to one person is tacit acceptance to another, or the reverse, depending upon how reprehensible each perceives the acts to be that have been allowed to happen. In real world practice, if you do not actively take some actions directly against some perceived wrong, then you have allowed that wrong to occur and continue, thus you have tacitly accepted that wrong. There is always some kind of threat you could use as a excuse.

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #187

03/27/2008 8:03 PM

I see your comments slightly differently as the "Terrorists" you speak of were active against "representatives of the British Government in Palestine".

As far as I am aware (not being completely informed about this) they did not start blowing up parts of GB as the IRA did....and certain other Arabic persons.....

Also, the Jews in Palestine actually bought up a large number of farms, lands and shops/Businesses from Arabs who were only too glad to sell them at the time!!! Until they had basically bought large areas of the land piece by piece, I am given to understand....

The Jews have been hounded around most of the known world for hundreds of years, with Hitlers pogroms the "final unfriendly act", in a long play with many acts!! It is no wonder that the Jews took the law into their own hands.....I do not blame them in the slightest......

I am a Brit, I am not a Jew, but I have known many Jews in my life, all of them were good people.....maybe I was just lucky. I do not call them terrorists today......I probably would not have called them Terrorists even in 1947 either....being only 1 year old at the time and my vocabulary was strictly limited!!!

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #188

03/27/2008 9:49 PM

Well, you were probably lucky in the same way I was, but I've know some bad ones too. But that was just individual things. As a religious group, I found them to be no better or worse as a whole. But I have also never know Israel to attack anyone who didn't attack them first...Can we say 1967 when the Arabs attacked and were beaten back like illegitimate stepchildren? How do you think Israel was able to annex the Gaza strip in the first place? Valid spoils of war. Now the Arabs are just whining cause they can't get it back.

The only reason Israel has not decimated most of the region is due to the US diplomatically keeping the reigns on them and bargaining with them. I think history will note that as a stupid strategy, but since WW2, the US hasn't been able to keep politics out of the military.

I'll quit here, cause I could go on about this ad infinitum (or for you, ad nauseam)

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #189

03/28/2008 8:04 AM

I gave you a GA anyway, as I like the way you talk....

In reply to #188

03/28/2008 4:08 AM

Interesting tidbit, just a little Jewish history so those of you who may know only the stereotypical views of Jews as bankers, money men and Shylock's (loan sharks).

Did you know, that during the 9th to 13th century, Jew's were allowed in Christian enclaves and cities only because Christians were biblically unable to be moneylenders(usury). It was at the end of that era that Shakespeare named his character Shylock. The name stuck as a Moneylender and Loan shark.

Now, after 400 years of being mostly forced into the financial industry, the Jews developed traditions and teachings that serve them well into today. In truth, he stigma still exist today, but the widespread beliefs probably started their demise in the late 1940's to 1960's (in the US anyway).

I always thought it was an interesting study in how an entire people can carry a stigma for a millennia or more. Tells us something about human nature.

Guru

In reply to #194

03/28/2008 8:11 AM

In Europe, they had to money lend as all other forms of work were forbidden by the Europeans for them!!!!

Read the Wikipedia link on Jews.....as a starting point, I found it fairly accurate, but incomplete.

I have a book (fictional) that tells the whole story of a particular town in Israel from about 5000 years ago to the 1960s (when the book was written), I have forgotten the name of the Author and the book (very helpful!! ), but it gives a very accurate account of what they went through and is very easy to read, but long (over 1000 pages). If I find it in the next couple of days, I will post it here. It is available in at least English and German.)

In reply to #188

03/31/2008 12:03 PM

That is the point, in 1947 people perceived their actions differently than say the 1970s Palestinian attacks. The early israelis set the model by blowing up hotels and such in Palestine. this has nothing to do with jews being good, but more specifically the specific bias of israelis. It is not restricted to the 1940s either, keep in mind that in order to launch a sneak attack against egypt in the 1970s they had to attack and disable an american naval spy vessel that was watching both sides, in an attempt to maintain some peace (Now we just pay off the egyptians and israelis not to fight, possibly more than eiters economy generates, and maybe this is why the syrians have been so beligerent for all these years since they didn't get in on the free money). The israelis perceived a threat and took an action that they felt was necessary. The US and British governments has done similarly bad "inhumane" acts, like fire bombing german and japanese cities with the intent of causing massive civilian casualties " strategic bombing" in the hope they would cause panic and the governement would capitulate under the pressure from the civilians that survived or at least reduce their will to protect their homeland when we invade. Both stockpiled large amounts of mustard gas and had plans for strategic use on the civilian populations to clear the path for invading the homelands, etc..

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru

In reply to #202

03/31/2008 12:29 PM

I am sorry to have to say that some of your comments are to my mind at least "far from correct" in both fact & meaning. You should take the time to read some valid books written at the time of WW2 before making such statements I feel....

With regard to the second World War, Germany set upon Poland after annexing various other countries and areas as the Allies stood around and watched!! The US too!!! Britain ALONE stood up against Germany (finally) and told them exactly what would happen if they did not pull out of Poland. This was the start of WWII.

Germany was already fully outfitted for a (then) modern war, the UK was not even half ready......Germany did its best with incendiaries and HE to totally annihilate many British towns and Cities...... The bomb damage in London was appalling, we called it "the Blitz".

The bombing of German Cities in retaliation later in the war, particularly Dresden, was condemned as unacceptable by some people after the war ended, but why?

The Nazi killing machine against the Jews had already taken on a desperate speed, even in 1945! Many British (and other counties) POWs languished or were dying of malnutrition in German & Japanese camps, the Allies were marching over Europe, losing in the end nearly 1,000,000 between D-Day and the end of the war and Dresden was the command center for the East front.......

All of these things must be taken into account, firstly to save Jewish and Allied soldiers lives by shortening the war by every minute possible. One more soldier or one more Jew were just too much to risk....why should they have died, just to save a large number of Germany following Hitler?????

Dresden was full of people who only a few years before as the war started, followed Hitler in every move and were willing to salute him and follow him!!! Until the going got rough of course!!!!!

Hamburg wwas much the same.

If someone smashes you in the face with his fist for no reason and you still beat him in the end, who will hold it against you (who with any sense). Remember your Bible, an eye for an eye.....

I forgive all the Jews who fought to create Israel completely.......in spite of the Arab problems today.......

Israel did always win every war (sneaky or not!) and the opposing countries exist still today. If Israel had lost EVEN ONCE do you really thing that Israel would still exist????? They are the better soldiers.....

Would Hitler have treated the citizens of the UK as we treated the German citizens after the war? Of course not!!!!!!

The Germans were lucky they lost and they know it too!!!!

Both Germany and Japan are lucky that they still exist today.......Germany would have got an Atom Bomb within one year if the ware had not ended when it did!!!!!

In reply to #203

03/31/2008 12:57 PM

Would Hitler have treated the citizens of the UK as we treated the German citizens after the war? Of course not!!!!!!

We had German POW camps in the US, My parents told me they (the POW's) felt very fortunate to be here, and lucky. They were labors in our orchards picking cherrys and potatoes, (or is that potatos ). There where treated very humanly probably because we had German settlements in the area.

(Can't say the same of the Japanese who were actually Americans at the same time).

In reply to #204

04/01/2008 6:31 AM

It is rather sad about the interned Japanese in the USA, but it was possible that some MIGHT have been spies for the Japanese Government, who could tell at that time and the safest way was not the friendliest way, sadly.....

I still meet from time to time, German soldiers, captured by the Allies who had to live in the UK for some years in POW camps during WW2, they recognize my accent and start on (I never know whether its going to be good or bad, but up to now it has always been good!!) about their experiences. I have good reason to be proud of the Brits, as to a man they all were very happy, and had nice remembrances (and some even mail contact) of the people they met then!!!!

Well done UK!!

The funniest things are the "Gift Parcels" to the Germans from the UK in 1945 - 50 or thereabouts, the word "Gift" in German means poison!!! It did cause some misunderstanding at first.......

The Vick Vapour Rub company wanted to sell Vick under the same name, but nobody would buy it in Germany, as it sounds like the word "Fuck" in German.......They renamed it to Wick (now it sounds like Vick when spoken in German) just for here and now it gets sold like any other normal product!!

In reply to #209

04/01/2008 11:12 AM

It was the same with the POW camp for the Germans here, at the encampments the locals I heard would give food through the fence or talk to the prisoners as they walked past.

The relationsghip was pretty good, probally due to the large German population in our area that there was a good chance the POW were distant relatives.

As far as the Japanese, I beleive there was an irogance to them due to Pearl Harbor.

In reply to #209

04/01/2008 11:20 AM

The internment issue with the japanese was plain racism, because the German americans, many of whom were friendly to the German cause, and the Italian americans, a number of whom were disrupting the war effort on behalf of organized crime agendas, were not interned. The Japanese before WWII owned large tracts of farm land in the western US. This was confiscated since they did not pay taxes and such for the land during their internment.

Guru

In reply to #212

04/01/2008 11:27 AM

and greed

In reply to #203

03/31/2008 2:06 PM

Couple of things to note. Russia invaded Eastern Poland and annexed it in an agreement with Germany. Russia actually supplied German heavy weapons early on. In the 1920s Russia was the enemy the British were trying to over throw. The Stalin is estimated to have killed more jews than the nazis. However, when poland was invaded, the allies responded to the greatest perceived threat to them. Poland was established from German and Russian Territories after WWI as a buffer between the west and the communists. If the west had perceived Russia as the bigger threat a different situation may have prevailed, but the proximity of Germany to France made it a serious threat to France (This is why they built the Maginot Line). Oh that is right you forgot the French went to war with the British when Poland was invaded, and at that time were supposed to have a more advanced army than the British. No where was there any military action taken by the allies against Germany because of the plight of the jews (they didn't actually recognize their true plight until the US airborne divisions got to the first internment camps).

Second the people responsible for the decisions to bomb London were executed, and they did not fire bomb London. Since incindiary bombing doesn't reach subterranean bunkers, such activities were not under taken to address a military target. Also, Incendiary bombing of mostly wooden residential urban areas in Japan did not destroy any military targets either. It was estimated in one raid the US killed 100,000 japanese civilians in Tokyo alone in 2 hours. These were meant to terrorize the civilian population into capitulation or reduce moral at least, in a hope that their governments would follow suit. The intentional strategic bombing of civilian populations is a human rights violation NOW. Back then the perception was that it was better to keep bombing the japanese, than invade and lose 500 k americans. Plus retaliation against civilian populations is a war crime and a human rights violation also, so fire bombing Dresden because london was bombed is equivalent to serbs trying to kill of a town full of muslims because of their perceived wrongs (keep in mind that before the UN went in to protect the muslims, the muslims in serbia were listed as a terrorist group). We would not allow a retaliation defense in the US for a homicide justification, so why would it be allowed for a government. In the end these Human Rights Violations may have saved some of our soldiers lives, since the worst would have been the use of an Atomic weapon (twice) and surprise the total destruction of the civilian population (though both Nagasaki and Hiroshima had military targets unlike Tokyo) and it was the final straw that forced the emporer to capitulate before a invasion became necessary (even though the military did not want to, and there was almost a coup before his surrender address).

Regarding sneaky, attacking a neutral state with no cause (we were supposed to be allies), is not sneaky, it is an act of war. 34 Americans on a US naval vessel, USS Liberty, were killed and 173 wounded, in 1967. This was the worst attack of this type against a US naval vessel since Pearl Harbor all the way until the attack on the USS Stark in 1987. If the spanish we perceived to have possibly done something even close to similar, we would have went to war and invade every spanish territory. The Vietnamese supposedly did same kind of thing in a state of near war in the gulf of Tonkin with much less effect, and we were quite offended. The japanese did the same thing. Both events got major press and we bombed both countries beyond what we did in all of Europe. I am not sure that the actions of one state 30 years prior allows justifies any war crimes another state commits 30 years later.

So in the end you made my original point, which is that circumstances and the bias of the observer dictate what is inhumane and what is not. Frequently the concept of the better good is used to justify crimes against humanity, and if you spin or downplay the excesses in the press correctly, people will believe the story (including the UN, philosophers, and the major governemnts of the various states if the ends support their agendas or wallets).

Guru

In reply to #205

03/31/2008 2:57 PM

Russia actually supplied German heavy weapons early on. In the 1920s Russia was the enemy the British were trying to over throw. The Stalin is estimated to have killed more jews than the nazis.

Interesting, it all depends on who wins the war.

propaganda.

In reply to #206

03/31/2008 7:12 PM

Exactly, propaganda is important, and Roosevelt knew this. Keep in mind that Russia annexed the eastern half of Poland when Germany invaded the western half as part of an agreement, and later in the war the Red Cross documented supposed mass graves of Polish officers captured by the Russians. However, we needed the Russians to stay in the War and pull some of the man power off of England. This would help expidite an end to the war, and head off the failing civilian moral. If the war drags on too long you lose so much popular support in the US that the funding, resources and political support begins to fail. The US government actually had a some real issues redirecting manpower and resources to the pacific theatre after the German surrender, because people felt the war was half over so only half as much was needed.

However, it does not always depend upon who wins the war. Sometimes the losers win the peace through better propaganda off the battlefield or after the war. sometimes the loser, if they have the skills and appeal to public sympathy can become the oppressed underdog who fought hard for their sovereign individual rights against the superior forces of tyrannical imperialistic invader (of course they must overcome some degree of racial bias too sometimes to begin to generate sympathy). It is a fine propaganda line between enough force to win a war in a timeline acceptable to the public before they consider it a losing cause, and too much force such that you seem like an excessive bully. The US could literally turn the entire surface of the middle east to glass, but while that might cost a fraction of the current cost in lives, resources and money, it would probably be perceived as excessive force (even though it would be only require a small portion of the US arsenal to accomplish, which we are probably decommissioning anyways). This is not a limitation that some countries such as Israel have ever had to fight under, they used fight to win no matter the consequences. As Israel has grown stronger and more established, relative to neighboring nations, it has began to feel the pressure of this propaganda, and now they have to be a little more considerate about who and how they attack their enemies. In maybe another hundred years they will be like the English fighting Argentina. England probably had the forces to take the country of Argentina by conventional means, but dabbled about with a small expeditionary force in the falklands when the Argentinians were using their full forces. they won, but they won under a limitation on how they made war that Argentina was not subject too. It is sort of like saying, ok he hit you with that baseball bat, but he is smaller than you so you must fight back with one-hand tied behind your back to even the odds up (and you are expected to win, so no one cares unless you lose). When you get strong enough, even in defending yourself, you take the risk of looking like the bully picking on the weaker kid.

Guru

In reply to #205

04/01/2008 8:26 AM

I read through your post with great interest and although I fully agree with some of it, in fact quite a lot of it, but some points seem to be very badly biased in opinion, therefore I must answer some of these points maybe better than I did before:-

1) Incendiaries were used, together with heavy bombs by the Germans from the beginning of the Blitz onwards on London and the surrounding areas. I had a neighbor who still had an incendiary that landed on his house but failed to ignite, he had it made safe and kept it. We lived more than 50 miles from the center of London, in an area where only Civilians lived. It had many bomb attacks for no reason at all and even had 2 x V1 drop on it and 1 x V2.......as I said before "an eye for an eye".....Remember, this was the SAME war, not one separated by a time of 30 years or so.....

Hamburg had been bombed in 1943 in what came to be known much later as "the Hiroshima of Germany". See the Wikipedia entry for Hamburg and read that:-

"No subsequent city raid shook Germany as did that on Hamburg; documents show that German officials were thoroughly alarmed and there is some indication from later allied interrogation of high officials, that Hitler thought that further attacks of similar weight might force Germany out of the war."

What a shame it didn't!! But it shows that the Allies were on the right track no matter what "popular opinion" is today.....and that the aim was to end the 2nd WW as quickly as possible.

2) UK made Bombs were nowhere near as powerful as the German bombs of the same weight as the UK had not learnt to add Aluminium powder to the explosive to make it up to 3 times more powerful, this error was fixed I believe in about 1943 or so according to W.Churchill in his book(s) The Second World War!!! (I do not remember which Volume sorry!)

3) Dresden became the command center for the Eastern front, so it was an important military target no matter what other people's opinion is today.

4)The UK had a pact/Treaty (I could not find the date of this quickly, sorry!) with Poland that if one of them was attacked by ANY aggressor, the other would help....There was a similar pact with France.

Even Germany (Hitler!!) had made a Treaty with Poland in 1934, which of course he broke when he had no more use of it. See:-German-Polish Non-Aggression Pact 1934

Also, when Hitler invaded Czechoslovakia, the Poles (on the side of the Germans at that time!) also wanted a bit of the spoils!! It showed a rather bad side of the Polish Government of the time to my mind, many have forgotten this.....living under the Russian yoke for many years afterwards was part of the "pay back" for this unfriendly act towards the Czechs one could say....

As an aside, the treaty between the UK and Portugal( Anglo-Portuguese Treaty of 1373) is the oldest active treaty around. It was recently honored and brought up to date.

5)It is true as you mentioned that the real plight of the Jews in Germany and the countries conquered by Hitler, was not fully and correctly recognized (sadly) until the Allies had set foot again in Europe with the D-Day landings, there were only unsubstantiated rumors for some years before, but the landings were in June 1944 and the Bombing of Dresden was made early in 1945, the plight of the Jews was at that time FULLY known and became one of the reasons to get WW2 finished as quickly as possible. The so called "Holocaust" was being perpetrated as fast as the Nazis could work.....even then in 1945. That fact is that this Link shows that 100,000 Jews were killed in Concentration Camps in 1945 alone......when one regards how short the war was in 45 and how small the German Reich had become, it is obvious that they were working at full speed!!!

Your mention of the USS Liberty is interesting, after the US had assured the Israelis that no US ships were around their shores, they are attacked!!! In the middle of the 1967 War. Was it not a bit stupid to be so close and also to say "none of our Ships are anywhere nearby!"....? Just being an interested "bystander" can also be dangerous too!!

I believe this was a case of collateral damage. Very similar to what the US air force did to one of its own allies (Australia) in the middle of the Vietnam war, HMAS Hobart. I did not hear you mention that error!! Several colleagues of mine were on the Hobart's bridge during the attack, two died (amongst 20 or so if I remember correctly!!)

This was the US Air force, attacking a US built ship (looks typically a US Navy ship in design of that era!!) for the Australian Government, that had been operating with the US Air force for some time.......now that was "BAAAD" collateral damage!!!!

In the first "Desert Storm" the US Air Force bombed and killed a large number of British ground troops too......collateral damage, why did you not mention that?

You also mentioned:-

"the Muslims in Serbia were listed as a terrorist group"

I would appreciate in knowing where and when these people were so listed (a whole "country" of Terrorists??) and by whom.....that is not my understanding of the situation at all......and if so, why did we (NATO) go and help? No oil was at stake!! So why did we help the Muslims against their being attacked by the Christian Serbs then, no "wallets or agendas" as you mentioned here.....

Somehow your posts come over missing important facts and examples and showing a strong bias towards your own arguments, but they do not cut the mustard for me.......

Please in the future supply facts, links and other material that can be verified, not just your own biased opinions. I thank you in advance for such verifiable material.

I have supplied I believe 4 actual links (it could have been far more!) showing that it is just not only my written opinion, but that my opinion is also supported by other people's opinions/Histories/facts that are available on the web too......

I could have supplied a great mass of material from Churchill's 2nd World War series, but without having all six volumes available, you could not have verified what I said. (Finding the references would have taken too much of my time too, but I can heartily recommend them as reading material).

And interesting fact from these books is that the combined forces of Great Britain and the Commonwealth exceeded those of the US till almost the end of the war. Also please remember, our war was 1939 to 1945, your war was (legally seen)1941 to 1945 and only part of one month was in 1941!!!

All UK citizens are greatly appreciative of the help that the USA gave us at that time, even today, but we were on our own for basically in 39, 40, 41 and only late in 42 did the US really start fighting!!! Like us before, they were caught off guard!!

I have all the 6 volumes still OF W.S. and I have also read them all from cover to cover.....as well as many other books of that time, Enigma, Ultra etc etc .......it is my hobby.

I was also on active military service from 1963 to 1973 in the RN, working with other Navies, amongst them the German, US, Australian, French, New Zealand and South African to name but a few.......We even rubbed shoulders with the Icelandic Navy a few times!!!!

I hope you will forgive my critic of your post and reply to it with facts and figure NOT of your own....especially with regard to that comment of yours about the Muslims in what used to be called Yugoslavia. I am very interested in seeing/reading about that.

I wish you a great day in spite of me.....

In reply to #210

04/01/2008 12:46 PM

The ethnic muslims in serbia would not comprise a country, much like italian americans do not form a country with in america. For reference regarding terrorism, look up KLA. In the 1990s they were funded by Bin Laden and listed as one of the highest risk terrorist groups, prior to our intervention into serbia. The Serbian Governments response to the KLA hiding amongst the ethnic albanian population was to get rid of the population. Because of the KLAs ties to Bin Laden and other state sponsors like hezbollah and Iran in the early 1990s, they were of great concern early on. The serbia response was in many ways similar to the Turkish response to problems brought on by few armenians, cleansing. Even 100 years ago the idea had lost appeal with the western states, so the concept of doing it in the late 1990s was just stupid. The Russians took a better approach to the chechnyans, it is a similar issue of islamic separatist terrorists and deep seated racisms. Rather than responding in an eye for an eye behavior, they at least limited their response a little (plus NATO really isn't going to stick their noise into Russian affairs too far).

Regarding fire bombing, the raids on tokyo and other major cities in japan did more damage than hiroshima and nagasaki, but it was done by one of the largest forces of bombers ever (until vietnam). There is nothing done in Europe on this scale, in part because they did not have all the resources available in europe that they had at the end of the war for japan, and in part because of racism of the time we didn't mind burning the japanese alive as much. If you want to see about this reference the miliatry channel and the history channel websites they recently had shows discussing the strategic bombing of Japan.

Strategic bombing by Germany was actually the plan, in hopes of bombing england into submission. This was a military mistake by the luftwaffe, since prior they had been focusing on airfields and military targets. They were effectively destroying Englands ability to fight back when they focused on destroying the military might of england. However, sending bombing raids against the cities, meant they were not effectively reducing the air resistance and gaining control of the sky.

The US was supplying England exclusively from nearly the start of the war with resources and loans, this was not like WWI where the US was neutral until it went to war.

Again fire bombing is not a means to penetrate fortified bunkers, only a means to terroize the population and kill civilians. So such activities in Dresden and Hamburg, not really a meants to destroy any military targets of value.

They really did use strategic bombing to attempt and accelerate the end of the war, it was a plan developed by british air command initially on the allied side. However, the US really put it to heavy use against Japan.

Germany had many treaties they later broke. However, only Russia really supplied them with the heavy military weaponry. Additionally, The Russians invaded the eastern half of Poland immediately after Germany, in accordance with their agreement with Germany. Should not the alliance between England, France and Poland have also provoked a response to an invasion by Russia.

Regarding the jewish plight, this is documented almost anywhere when you review the historical documents regarding US airborn forces like the 101st and Dachau. They were the first into the camps, and at that time we realized what was going on, it was reportedly highly demoralizing to the airborn forces. No one knew exactly what was going on or even an idea of the degree, until we arrived at the first camps in Germany, Dachau. Even then we did not ever reach any extermination camps to fully realize the activities undertaken until we began capturing documents towards the very end of the war (or maybe they didn't care enough to really look early on or just had other priorities).

To many people including those in the government have indicated that the liberty attack was not collateral damage. The claims that they were not preapred for attacking a ship and then also that they were sent out to attack an egyptian ship are contrary. The ship they claimed to be after was substantially different. The israelis had conducted fly bys earlier and identified the ship. Though admittedly the Johnson administration had a lot of secret scams going on, so we may have been doing something subversive or at least forcing limits upon israel to the war that israel did not want to be bound by (big brother watching). Regarding collateral damage elsewhere, yes it has happened. However, i do not think anyone equivalent to the Secretary of State, and senior military officials, of UK or Aust has ever indicated that they thought the US had any plan to attack those forces. Plus after they claim to have identified the Us vessel they attacked from the air, they then sent out torpedo boat to "assist" and torpedoed the ship , admittedly after being fired upon (but if their airforces had just repeatedly attacked you, would you really trust incoming torpedo boats 20 minutes later).

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru

In reply to #215

04/01/2008 7:59 PM

You continue to make claims, some valid, but many possibly invalid, with no support or reference from other sources other than yourself. I somehow feel that it is not possible for you to have been personally present, so what you have written could be construed as "hearsay" by a court of law.....

I looked up the KLA and found the following on a Wikipedia page:-

Origins

The origins of the KLA are in the Popular Movement for the Republic of Kosova, founded by the people of Kosovo, they were expelled by the Serbian government in the 70's and 80's, such persons as doctor's, teachers, and other educated leaders, they became in charge commanding units of the rebel group.

So it would appear that excesses of the Serbian Government laid the groundwork for the formation of the KLA, does that not sound in some ways similar to the way the Jews resisted Great Britain in the late 40s after the excesses of Hitler's government? I personally cannot be against such an organization which had to put up with ethnic cleansing and the like from the Serbs.......there is only so much restraint that you can expect in such situations, the Serbs exceeded this many times.....

Furthermore I found the following statement on the same Wiki page that says that outsiders such as Bin Laden and his followers were NOT ever part of the KLA either:-

Despite Serbian online claims, the KLA organization never had any foreign fighters with Middle Eastern Islamic origins, in reality they had foreign fighters from Croatia, Bosnia and other European countries. The majority of the outside fighters were from the United States, with many of them being Albanian Americans.

So what are you telling us? that you know better!!! I doubt that completely. In fact, it goes onto say that MANY US Citizens went there to fight FOR the KLA!!!! What a surprise!! That really is going against your comments 100%......

The link for such information is at KLA, you can learn a lot from such links I find!!!

Furthermore, I am sure threat the people of Chechnya would not agree with one word that you have written about them and "Mother" Russia!!!!!!

Please look at this link for further infos about both of the recent wars and how disastrous it was for BOTH sides.....you can learn a lot there too....

Chechnya

You can learn a lot more accurate information about here about "Lend lease" , which shows clearly that this was started in 1941 and ran till 1945 in return for, in the case of Britain, military bases in Newfoundland, Bermuda and the British West Indies. It began in March 1941.

I do not consider March 1941 to be as you put it "from nearly the start of the war!" You must live through almost 2 years of war with almost no outside assistance to understand just how far you are from the truth!!!

It was not one sided (they gave, we took) as many believe and the UK had large debts to the USA to pay for many years afterwards......

You do not seem to understand completely what a fire storm does, it penetrates everything because it uses up all the available oxygen and even if you are not burnt alive, you die through asphyxiation!!! Even in your bunker!!!! You should read more carefully the links I gave you yesterday......!!! Then you would have known! Winds up to 150 MPH due to the raging fires.....tremendous heat.....dying is dying, does it make a difference with "how"?

Did you know that even today in some German Cities, when old asphalt is sometimes removed, they occasionally still find skeletons of people who melted into the tar on those attacks????The most recent one was some years ago in Darmstadt if my memory serves me correctly....

Dachau.

You will also find that the 101st are NOT officially credited with releasing the prisoners of Dachau, the 42nd is, but do not forget that Hollywood is very unkind to history and may have got the numbers mixed up when filming.

(Very much like the US film that portrays a US Submarine getting the German Navy Enigma machine from a sinking German Sub, good film, bad infos.....)

There is a plaque at Dachau, commemorating the 42nd US Army Rainbow Division, it looks just like this:- (please read carefully!) I could not find info about the 101st.....the 101st also do not list Dachau on this link either....

Dachau_Concentration_Camp

Dachau camp was not actually for Jews, except some important ones, it was mainly for Churchmen, there is a list of all the people incarcerated there in the link above.....it served as the model for most of the other camps built under Nazi rule.....

You can believe what you like about the Liberty attack, I feel that the commander that put them there in a war zone was at fault and if the US can call the Hobart and all the other "Friendly fire" accidents attributed to the US as Collateral damage, I think to be fair we have to give that the same badge for the Israelis, don't you???? Or are you going to continue being biased on that one?

And of course, nobody is implying what you feel the Israelis did to the USA, to the USA with their 100s of fully documented "Friendly Fire" incidents that the USA has directly made......so I guess the score in this case is something like Israel 1 incident, USA 200+ incidents and still counting?

Why not just give them the benefit of the doubt as I and many others do? Or should I start documenting just how many times in the Vietnam War alone, the US attacked and killed people it was fighting WITH/FOR ??? Whole villages sometimes!!!

Do not forget the My Lai Massacre......it is also on the web in full detail......rapes and murder by US Military.....only one man convicted and he served only 4.5 months, with constant visits from his girlfriend!! After WW2 in Japan & Germany, soldiers were hanged for such offences......many of them, quite right too....

I am not biased, I try to show you what really happened in such cases and I supply you with really good links. You supply nothing but a biased and in many areas totally incorrect opinion, so I am calling a halt to this pointless exchange here and now.

You should concentrate on either knowing the "truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you God" as mainly your comments are far too easy to shoot down for someone with just a modicum of knowledge of this subject......

Let me guess, you are probably between 25 to 35 years old or younger.....!!! But you will mature, but you are also making it hard on yourself......

Have a great day, but I am long gone as I find this argument to become simply uninteresting for me....Tell someone else your tall stories..

In reply to #218

04/01/2008 9:39 PM

I only comment to try and stop you both. Right and wrong are moveable points on the scale of history. Atrocity is a uniquely human trait amidst mammals. It is also something that happens every day of every year of human existence. It goes on now. You do nothing about it or ignore it, as do I. Blame is a game for politicians, morons and their armies. Fear and ignorance are the bastions of their campaigns. Power the reward.

I am ashamed to say that I know what it feels like to take a person's life, both at an impersonal distance (military) and in the raw heat of the moment when you feel the life leave them through your bare hands (defense of others, 3 times, 2 occasions). Many people think they could or would not. Let me tell you, if it comes down to it, you make the choice once. Whatever choice you make, you live with. That being said, there are many ways to achieve the same end. Those like Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi and Mother Teressa are much stronger individuals than I will ever aspire to be.

I know that should you decide to attempt to enforce your will on my property that one of us will permanently cease to exist. If I have any forewarning or fortuitous strokes of luck, it will be you and I will not hesitate.

Mankind has never been a peaceful state, but a balance of fear and greed. As it was before recorded history, it is now. Only the methods have changed. Keep dipping into the barrel of sorrow and embracing it, you will learn only to repeat the process.

I write this as a man that knows he has not the strength to change the fact. My thoughts, reactions and mindset were tempered at an early age in circumstances I would not wish on anyone. They were not some familiar hand-me-down or cultural bias, but based on a random act that was perpetrated on me at the moment I was able and susceptible to being forged and tempered. Blind action and dumb luck enabled me to survive and allow he temper to set, but what was forged is the personae you are reading.

In truth, all go through the same passage, though the timing may differ and the circumstances may vary. And with that the perceptions are vast and different. But in an historical sense, they are as unchanging as man himself.

The motivations have not changed since the first hominids grouped together to form familiar units. Only the mechanisms to deal destruction have changed. Stick, spear or World Killer, they are only extensions of the ego and the desire to be seen to be right.

I make no apologies for being the way that I am. And I know that I have done more good than evil. And I have done evil, and only some on the justification of being good.

That being said, I'm also a Christian Agnostic. I believe (because I wish to) that there is a Supreme Being, be it GOD, BUDDHA or LITTLE GREEN MEN from Mars. I like the tenants of the Old and New Testament. I was raised with them. I was not raise with a particular sect of them. I believe in the validity of the TEN COMMANDMENTS.

I have read two different English translations of the Qur'an, I have read some of the discourses and monastic rules in both the translated Sangha and the Tripitaka of the Buddhist religion. I have read all of the Odes, Wisdoms and Analects (as compiled by Zengzi) of Confucius that I have found available translations for. I have not done a lot of research on Hindu gods as it was not one of the polytheocratic religions of my upbringing. Roman, Egyptian, Norse, ok, I have a general understanding. Taoism and Shinto, not so much but I do have a pretty good understanding of Bushido, but mostly from my Ken-do training.

It is in my opinion that blame and recourse are normal human reactions, and hence harbor predictable and catastrophic results, normally causing pain for many and wealth for few.

You can side with the Serbs or the Croats, the Sunnis or the Shiites, the Protestants or the Catholics. To justify one is to inflame the conflict. There is no solution that does not include massive pain on both sides. Fear breeds compromise.

To promote peace without force indicates a lack of understanding of the human condition, and an exercise in both futility and stupidity. People understand fear, not peace. Even in the United States, a peaceful republic. What is it that keeps us from doing what most consider wrong? Not Laws, but the fear of punishment that not adhering to the law would bring.

I started this because you two were arguing semantics. You are both on the same coin, just arguing about who did it better. It's why the Statute of Limitations exists in British Common Law and in most judicial systems either derived from it (such as those in India, Canada, Australia and the US) and non BCL system have some form of it. Keep dragging up the hate and you keep the reason for hate alive.

Ok, so endith the sermon...monetary donations accepted but not claimed on income tax

Power-User

In reply to #220

04/01/2008 9:48 PM

Damn, I actually read through that and I do believe I am going to toot my own horn (comes from being single and extremely flexible). I likes it, me does. :P

Guru

In reply to #218

04/02/2008 1:07 AM

It doesn't matter. Their aims are all the same... Save Hitler's head, which is frozen in a vat of liquid nitrogen!!!

We must stop them!!!

In reply to #222

04/02/2008 1:30 AM

nothing like having the head of a neurotic half jew sub-height closet fag with delusions of grandure and understandings of mediocraty in a jar on your shelf.

Guru

In reply to #223

04/02/2008 1:42 AM

Woof!!! You use your tongue better than a $100.00 whore!!!

In reply to #223

04/02/2008 12:08 PM

you forgot inbred incestuous petafile

In reply to #222

04/02/2008 3:29 AM

I just wasted a whole bunch of wipes on my monitor. You've caused me to ponder missing brains;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein's_brain

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/brain.txt

http://www.mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk/misc/mysterious-brain.html

That last one is pretty amazing when you consider that the woman works as a Staff Nurse ! Proof positive that a walnut's more use than a bowling ball, and something to bear in mind when playing chess with a dinosaur.

In reply to #218

04/02/2008 4:37 PM

This is getting way off topic. I was just originally trying to indicate that perceptions can vary in time, society and locations. But to respond to your specific discourse.

Your KLA information sounds vaguely familiar to most earlier terrorist groups, I could easily see a substitution of PLO fitting that same kind of statement. It still does not address the fact they were listed as a terrorist organization in the 1990s. But here is a link to allow you some insight, I am sure you can find many more indicating they were a recognized terrorist organization:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosovo_Liberation_Army

"The Yugoslav authorities and World organizations considered the KLA a terrorist group"

"The Albanian insurgency, known as the Kosova Liberation Army (KLA, or UÇK in Albanian), has also violated the laws of war by such actions as the taking of civilian hostages and by summary executions. Although on a lesser scale than the government abuses, these too are violations of international standards, and should be condemned."

"It is also believed that the KLA has played a key role in the ethnic cleansing, kidnappings and murder of Serbs and other ethnic minorities after the end of the war. "

"The KLA is also accused of intentionally provoking attacks by Yugoslav security forces against civilian targets by, for example, staging attacks from villages, knowing that the response would create bad publicity for the government forces in the international media:"

You may notice as you read further that the KLA assassinated Albanian collaborators also, and the ethnic cleansing plan 'Horseshoe Operation" began 3 years after KLA assassinations of Serbians and Albanians. Expulsion of people deemed a risk to the state is not the same as genocide, the US expells mexicans we feel pose a miniscule risk all the time. By the way a few americans have always gone to the aid of terrorist groups, or "freedom fighters", some have even just invented groups to justify the murders and robberies they want to commit (I am still not sure where symbia is). Plus how many is MANY, if all the ethnic Albanian americans went, how many would that be. How many Serbian Americans supported yugoslavia and the Serbians. Surprisingling in a nation as free as ours, we let our citizen join almost any cause until they commit a crime against our own state. There have been americans in Al Qaeda, does that mean the majority of the Democratic society supports Al Qaeda or even just our government? It really is an issue of perspective. Had the UN actually cared as much about Israeli attacks on the lebonese civilians as they did about europeans civilians, maybe the PLO maybe could have provoked the same UN intervention and statehood, versus a state of borderline slavery for the 5 million muslims in the former palestine. ( And i recognize this is harsh in your aopinon as a description of the status Israel afford to the majority of the population in the region occupied by that state, but i believe the chinese afford better conditions to their labor than the israelis do to the islamic majority, and until Walmart, and others, made them a partner for labor, we considered chinese labor as equivalent to a slave labor force).

If you believe that the jewish actions against british rule in palestine were justifed based on the acts of the germans, then wouldn't similar actions taken agaisnt those who committed the atrocities during the holocaust be equally, if not more justified. Remember those who the Serbs were removing from yugoslavia at one time were the same ethnic groups that aided the Nazis in ethnic cleansing against the Serbs.

Additionally, There may have been foriegn intersts beyond Bin Laden that supported the break up of yugoslvia by guerrila activities or terrorism. http://www.tenc.net/analysis/kla-aq.htm

Regarding Bin Laden, and his support of terrorism in Serbia, well I could find many more quotes from reputable news agencies indicating it has occurred than one reference in wikipedia denouncing it, so who do we believe.

http://emperors-clothes.com/news/binl.htm

I do not personally believe Bin Laden would travel to serbia or send much in the way of man power. Much like Cuban efforts in the past however, under Che Guevarra ( and yes I know you probably believe he was a human rights activist in your opinion), it is likely that active Terrorist states such Syria and Iran, along with organizations like al Qaeda have made some eeforts to provide financial support and technical support to those muslim terrorist groups in the region. I mean if they can maintain cells in Germany, Holland and Spain, why would they not try to help islamic efforts in a more traditionally islamic controlled region like Serbia. The cubans would send money and technical support to places as far away as africa to promote their communist agendas.

Regarding similar activities in chechnya that the UN felt were not worth involvement, probably since the government they would have to provoke was Russia not Serbia You can easily find links about mass graves in chechnya for murders committed by the Russian army and the Chechnyan "Freedom Fighters".

"Dozens of mass graves containing at least hundreds of corpses have been uncovered since the beginning of the Second Chechen War in 1999."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_graves_of_the_Second_Chechen_War

As far as a parallel with the jews. Well you are correct, these terrorist group were atacking those they felt had directly wronged them. The jews in the 1940s were attacking the civilians in palestine in attempts to rebel against the british government and take lands they had felt they were owed because of atrocities committed by the German government. Remember they were not originally recogonize by the UN. Many israeli PMs have had some fame in the military early in their careers for their guerilla tactics to overthrow british authority in the region or later provoking war with neighboring arabs states, from which Israel annexed lands. Since it appears complicated for you to locate some of this information i will provide some for your edification. Lets start with Menachim Begin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menachem_Begin

and a link to Irgun so you can understand where terrorism came from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irgun

and maybe Ariel Sharon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Sharon

those should be two good examples. Obviously, if a modern presidential candidate in the US had been involved in the kind of activities these two PMs had, they would not stand any chance of election. The prospect of a presidential candidate recognized as a former leader of a terrorist organization or sending troops out to provoke a war for a further land grab... The worst things conspiracy theorist come up with that the US government is doing in secret, the Israelis relatively openly do. And, Israel is by no means an open democratic state (5 million muslims, 1 million israelis living in the former british mandate of palestine, what are the odds every PM would be a former "war hero" against the arabs in a democracy).

Regarding US supplies to UK, we were sending supplies well before 1941. We had actually been supplying weapons as large as fighters to England from the onset of the war. As an example, this is where the name lightning came from for the P-38s, the main fighter of the US AAC until P-51s in the later part of the war (of course the english had the the english versions modified so they didn't perform as well as say a spitfire). The original P-38 was the first 400+ mph plane. Allowing such sales to a country is obviously a assistance of their war effort, unless you allow a similar offers to their enemies. The Lend/Lease was a Long Term Loan Plan to send supplies for free that in theory England and others who were in the interest of US security and would repay the US for later (I suspect that may become eternity since as late as 2002 the memebrs of the english parliment had indicated the terms of the lend lease program made repayment under the interest rate less than the growth of the pound), and we would receive a lease of bases to aid in protecting US eastern Seaboard. The Lend Lease plan was really a means to legitimize the Loans to UK for Roosevelt of such heavy military equipment as Destroyers and much larger volume of equipment, since much of the public was against US involvement in the War, until we were bombed. The US had a production capacity greater than the entirety of Western Europe, and england had less production capacity than Germany at the start of the war. With out a greater augmenting of supplies to England, they would have eventually capitulated within a few years at most to Germany (Germany would have eventually invaded and stopped just bombing).The terms of the act allowed Roosevelt to proliferate his support of the UK efforts, and do so much more publically with out any expectations of payment (Remember, Roosevelt was not nearly as popular in the 1940s as many like to recall, and had some close elections, so he could not afford to generate too much public disenchantment over his war policies). Also, protecting the Eastern Seaboard from English islands would not be necessary unless you wanted to help protect shipping lanes to England from German attacks since the English could no longer effectively do so in the west. Surprisingly for a supposedly neutral country, we did not attempt to ship arms and equipment to Germany (In WWI we supplied both sides based on who could purchase the arms and supplies, which was neutral business practices). After the Lend Lease the US took on a major role of protecting supply conveys, as the English could not afford to do this adeqautely for the amount of supplies they needed.

BTW, I just watched a woman on the Military channel discussing the firestorms in Tokyo, who survived as a child the fire storms in Tokyo just lying under a few bodies that fell on top of her. We couldn't reach their command bunkers with bombardments of high explosive bombs. We could not burn out the Vietnamese from simple earthen tunnels command networks with huge bombardments of napalm. I think a reinforced conrete air conditioned bunker even a few feet under ground would provide a much better likelihood of survival. the idea of manually burning people out of caves in the Pacific war showed that even in relatively shallow caves the japanese could still pop out after napalm was used on the entrances. Asphyxiation only works if you remove all the air from the bunker, not from the outside. How long can you survive inside a large bank vault ( a day maybe more) versus how long did the actual firestorm last. I suspect we didn't keep the effective fire bombing up continuously for a few days. Though the asphyxiation could be rapidly effective on the unprotected civilian population outside.

In the end you still support my point that it is all an issue of public perception and propaganda, and the nature of the society, their racial biases, the time, societal and political agendas at time and place, and the places we are discussing. Terrorist one day or in to perception of one society during a specific time period is a Freedom Fighter or Revolutionary at another time, place or in some societies perception. The original Israeli Terrorists and KLA has in some literature gets some comparison to the US revolutionaries (usually these seem to be propaganda statements oriented to elicit a more firnedly american perception of the groups efforts). If I look hard enough I can probably find many terrorist groups compared to The american revolutionaries, especially if the organization wants to generate Us public sympathies.

Guru

Good Answers: 143
In reply to #227

04/02/2008 4:47 PM

RCE, we all go off-thread, some quite a bit, but this is starting to sound like an argument to be handled by PM.

In reply to #227

04/03/2008 1:09 AM

What? What's your gripe?! We're answering a bunch of stupid questions aren't we?

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #229

04/03/2008 1:31 AM

I'm most entertained!

Guru

In reply to #230

04/03/2008 1:58 AM

The more I look at that first one, the funnier the hand/finger position looks. Not saying why.

In reply to #230

04/03/2008 2:08 AM

Where do you get these great images?!

In reply to #232

04/03/2008 2:34 AM

What's it worth ?

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

In reply to #232

04/03/2008 2:44 AM

My personal circle of spam, an email came in with a new batch!

the theme is feet for my latest submission. I notice many of them have worth 1000.com in the corner, I've never bothered to go check out the site.

Guru

In reply to #234

04/03/2008 9:46 AM

Love that second one ! The site is pretty cool. It has masses of similar;

http://www.worth1000.com/contest.asp?contest_id=18890&display=photoshop

In reply to #187

03/28/2008 3:46 AM

I was thinking about the topic in terms of customs/action within one culture/country, or to be more specific womens rights therein. I don't doubt that you may have some good and eloquent reasoning, but examining the issue with things on a cross-country/international politics basis makes the waters cloudier. The arguments probably translate across, but tend to get too heated. There's also a shortage of representation on either womens rights or national politics, so I think I'll check out on this one RCE. It's interesting, but going a bit too off-tack for me (well there's a first !). Cheers.

In reply to #178

03/27/2008 1:18 PM

It doesn't matter what the viewpoint in another country is. At some point, if you see that the practise causes extreme human suffering or even murder. Then what do you do?

I cannot condone cold blooded murder in any other country. But the path to change is a long and arduous one. You just don't go into a country and say "NO!"

Again, I am NOT saying that the World should be exactly like AMERICA. I AM SAYING JUST BECASUE CERTAIN CRUEL AND INHUMAN SOCIAL PRACTICES ARE ACCEPTED IN OTHER COUNTRIES, THEY SHOULD NOT BE CONDONED IN ANY COUNTRY.

I hope you GET it this time.

In reply to #178

03/27/2008 4:48 PM

I suspect that at least half the population in such places (ie the women) don't like certain practices. Being subjugated, and subject to something, doesn't imply acceptance or that something is 'right'.

In reply to #176

03/27/2008 12:44 PM

For a number of years, many colleges have taught that the worst thing you could possibly be is a male in a modern, Anglo-European country. This is especially true for white males.

However, if you want to start feeling better about yourself, you need to get to know this woman...

Her name is Camille Paglia, and while almost no one has heard of her, she's considered one of the top 100 intellectuals in the World!

Also, know as "the feminist that feminists love to hate." If you can spare the time, read her stuff - it really is amazing.

In reply to #180

03/27/2008 5:04 PM

Thanks - I'll have a read about her.

In reply to #159
Find in discussion

03/25/2008 11:50 AM

You wrote:-

There are books that have compiled the wisdom of generations into rules of behavior

I could not agree more, it is a subject that could stand a Blog of its own.

The Bible has many examples of such things.

Some religions have decided that for example Pork is unclean for example, that shows that the fact that Pork, in a warm country, can kill you (especially if you never had Fridges to keep it in!).

I tend to agree with the fact that Pork is not good for you as I live in a country where most of the people eat it 3 x a day, UGH!! Even though I am not banned on religious grounds, enough is enough!!

Incest has been demonstrated to dramatically increase the possibility of certain diseases in the offspring.....so it is forbidden both in the Bible and in law.....

There are many examples. Your statement was very accurate.

In reply to #67
Find in discussion

03/20/2008 5:14 AM

Agreed, but not always practiced. "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt". Something I have yet to master. <chagrin>

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 54

03/17/2008 11:45 PM

Personally I find it fun to occasionally get outraged by a stupid question, especially if it's one that I can't answer. ffeJ

In reply to #17

03/18/2008 1:20 PM

Sorry, I don't.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Location: South East of Las Vegas just far enough to see the lights but far enough to not hear the coins falling
Good Answers: 8

03/17/2008 11:54 PM

Michael,

I agree you most of what you have expressed. However I submit that the first time I logged on an MIT student asked a question about steam condensate return system sizing and I responded from a 20 year "lay" view point and I got hammer by a "Pro" and just about never returned. I do contribute when I feel like I can

get a viable point accrossed. I havent asked some question for the exact reasons that you posted I dont want to wasted real thinkers time but I do have a strong thirst for the brain trust exchange.

Thanks for your time

Mike

In reply to #18

03/18/2008 1:00 PM

Hi Mike,

I was pretty sure I answered to your post but my reply disappeared...

I was saying that I hate to see "Pro"s hammering someone for not being as educated as they are on a specific matter. And this is my first motivation for opening this discussion. After getting such a treatment, usually the asker is inhibited and abandon his question.

Education is a privilege in this world and is not giving the right to step on the less fortunate.

Michael

Register to Reply
Guru

03/18/2008 12:19 AM