Previous in Forum: Airships   Next in Forum: Levling Question
Close
Close
Close
Page 3 of 3: « First < Prev 1 2 3 Last »
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

Stupid questions: should we answer them or not?

03/17/2008 12:16 PM

Hello contributors.

During an exchange of ideas with two gurus on this forum, I realized that we might have a problem. Some lazy or even evil-minded people are posting stupid or dubious questions, possibly showing a lack of respect for our community of contributors or even looking for using our solutions in questionable purposes.

For the lazy ones (sometimes asking to do their school homework in their place or not even trying Google or other search engine first), I would say to simply ignore them. Why get angry or ridicule them for discouraging to not waste our time?

Another category is the silly/stupid questions. Some argued that they are insulting our intelligence or de-rating the quality of our engineering forum. But what if someone could have that Eureka moment triggered by a silly/stupid question? It happened not only once in history. What if... For these ones, I would just make fun, like many of us. Or consider it as a possibility. It depends.

If for the first two categories of questions I'm not very sure how to react, for the evil/dubious ones I have a categoric answer: prevent any information leak that might help the evil. Intervene and ask everyone to restrain themselves in offering their knowledge and ideas.

Being such a diverse community, the topic is not simple. I'm interested in your comments.

Thanks

Michael

Register to Reply
User-tagged by 1 user
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Anonymous Poster

Re: Stupid questions: should we answer them or not?

03/18/2008 11:28 PM

If a man cannot keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears however measured or faraway."

- Henry David Thoreau

This is what I have to say about a stupid question

Phil martin girlfriend

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

03/19/2008 4:24 PM

As I am but a humble visitor I feel compelled to comment on this Thread, I do not regard myself as being super intelligent / certainly not in the same league as what has been discribed in this thread, but fairly above average competant in all I tackle and put my mind to, I have (humbly) learned that there are no stupid questions to start off with and the stupid questions are those not asked.

I suppose there are the few and far between evil minded individuals asking some dubious (suspicious) questions, I might hasten to tell you, I really enjoy your chit chat about so many interesting questions and answer immensly.

Please do not put a damper on the information flow that has become the standard in this program and chat site, even if you do not believe it, you are training and teaching people some new things and stimulating those who might never again have such an opportunity again.

Please go on and keep up the good work, think positively about your efforts here, you never know, you might just influenced Joe Soap in such a way that he may come up with a cure for aids????

Joefury

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #87

03/20/2008 3:23 AM

There are, indeed, stupid questions. They are those asked by people that do not actually have a question, but are, by asking and insinuating are furthering an agenda based on relieving themselves and those the represent, of responsibility. I would offer as proof, those people in Louisiana that, after 3 years, are still asking what the government is going to do for them.

Those are stupid questions. They will not or cannot do for themselves and expect others to answer their problems. It seems to be an endemic problem in America. We are no longer responsible for our own problems but expect our government to protect us from our own stupidity. Build below sea level, expect flood. Gee, rocket science? I don't think so.

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Earth. England/America -the birthplace of the C. S. A. - anywhere I imagine -home.
Good Answers: 33

03/20/2008 1:21 AM

Answer whatever we wish to answer. I ignore those "homework" questions, stupid questions and those I am fairly sure can be answered by a Search, etc. I also know better than to attempt to answer things I know nothing about. However I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once, so I occasionally stretch my limited knowledge.

In reply to #91

03/20/2008 1:25 AM

Reported for Lying your arse off, you'll answer anything :P

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Power-User

03/20/2008 3:14 AM

Though I have not actually asked a question on the site, I have been in numerous forums and responded to many questions.

I have many ideas, and I have, at every appropriate opportunity, announced that I am not an engineer. My responses have been recieved fairly well. I am not ill-informed, but I am sure that there are aspects of my answers that either lack the clarity of intrinsic knowlege or are just manifestations of inaccuracies due to my lack of knowlege.

Should I ever post a really stupid question, all I ask is that the person ridiculing me put the right answer in when he's doing it, or at least point me in the right direction. I would also hope that he make the ridicule humorous, as we should all be able to laugh at me when I screw it up. (You can laugh at me at other times, but then you have to clear it with my ex's, I think they get royalties)

Register to Reply
Power-User

03/20/2008 3:38 AM

I am replying only one the last line of your post. I believe you are wrong. The answer is indeed simple. Use your own judgement. It doesn't matter why anyone else would consider a question or questioner too stupid or ignorant to deign answering. It's what you believe. If you are looking for consensus or approval, go to church. You can make up your own mind. Trust your instincts. It's pretty easy to identify those that are actually seeking knowledge, and those that just can't be bothered to understand.

If you want a consensus on what is a good or bad question, you should be left out of the answer. If you need consensus to determine that, you should probably just quit pretending and offer to enslave yourself to the government. No one can tell you what a good or bad question is. You have to take off the training wheels, determine the answer for yourself and be willing to justify your own answer. If you really need the direction, I can put a collar around your neck and have you till my field and feed you whatever I want.

Quit looking for someone else to take the blame for your decision, make it, do it, and take responsibility for it based on your decision. If you give me your right to make a decision, you've handed me your soul, and I'll use it as I see fit, regardless of what you think (since you won't)

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #99

03/20/2008 4:13 AM

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on at least one point, in the same way that another poster already has done I believe.

There are NO stupid questions, only stupid answers......I used to lecture and I always said that and I would answer, but often laughing at the question.....which I had already warned them that I would laugh if I could!!! I reserved the right to laugh!!!

Remember that someone who asks the question needs an answer, even if it is just telling him that he is completely off base.......what should not happen is that he should accept the answer and any frivolity added as being the answer and not get upset.....not killing the messenger so to say!!!!

On CR4, we often get such things as:-

"Dear CR4, I am installing a 200MW Steam Turbine alternator in a factory in southern India and I have no training, no tools and no knowledge, what should I do?"

...or the classical "Free energy" questions/announcements that do not follow any law of known physics, but he "knows" that it works......please pay $5000 immediately for further info!"

I say give them the answer they deserve and ignore the rantings the backat may come back......

In reply to #100

03/21/2008 2:59 AM

you get the answer.just simple

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #100

03/21/2008 6:52 PM

Well I guess that excludes cosmology, relativity, photoelectric theory, electromagnetic theory (maxwells equations), quantum mechanics, and most organic and biochemistry. I hope they don't have to restrict themselves to just the Laws in physics, because I am not sure there are that many new laws in physics since the turn of the last century. Would the principles and theories of the physical sciences be acceptable for them to follow also. I think I would hate to be restricted to just the Laws, i kind of depend too much on technology that has its basis in just physical theories. Well at least thermodynaics is a law, so we could still drive our cars; and luckily, Coulomb developed laws, or stopping would hurt.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #133

03/22/2008 9:31 PM

It really scares me when such a factually educated mind with such potential fails to grasp the basic communicative principles as a properly structured paragraph.

I would hope that you would go back to 6th grade and learn to create a more lucid and structured communication. Understanding and brilliance, without the ability to communicate it renders you less useful than many of the caged animals that we use for testing.

As well, the fact that you won't even bother to admit who you are, means you have fewer credentials than the laboratory animals that we use to prove these things...at least they are who they are.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #148

03/23/2008 6:59 PM

Tom, you are simply wasting you time with people who sign on as guests (jests?). I have given up on them as mainly they are way off center with their brains and intelligence and you cannot tell one from the other either. They have something to hide....

If they really wanted to make a difference, they would simply become a member.....but they don't!!

You are just wasting your time, learn simply to ignore them, I have.

In reply to #154

04/01/2008 12:09 PM

Yes, but I do have a little chap that sits on my shoulder and whispers these things in my ear and my fingers just start to type. Shhhh, hang on, he's whispering someting now...what was that...who?...Andy?....<evil grin>

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 87

03/20/2008 9:37 AM
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 22
In reply to #121

03/21/2008 10:30 PM

Anyone else notice the "anomoly" in this picture?

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #138

03/22/2008 3:50 AM
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #141

03/24/2008 10:00 AM

Who is Mr. Burns, and is he really from the Netherlands?

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 22
In reply to #156

03/24/2008 5:00 PM

Mr. Burns is the perennial villian on The Simpsons. He is not from the Netherlands, but the website is.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #157

03/24/2008 6:34 PM

Thanks. I'm now edumacated. Or something.

Micah

Location: Earth. England/America -the birthplace of the C. S. A. - anywhere I imagine -home.
Good Answers: 33

03/21/2008 7:33 PM

Each person here can make that choice. I usually ignore the homework questions and those that a simple Search on the Net would answer. If the subject is too technical for my limited experience, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once , I tend to ignore the question too.

There are few questions not deserving of some kind of answer. I would definitely avoid the ones asking about anything that could be used to do injury to people.

In reply to #135

03/22/2008 11:55 PM

I'm not 100% sure I would omit an answer that may cause harm to the asker. I would probably let him know that it was not a recommended course of action, and then let darwinism prevail.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 49

03/23/2008 12:19 AM

TROUT!!!

In reply to #152

03/23/2008 12:25 AM

damned fishermen...can't trust em...but ...a ...jar of worms...long time at sea... pouty thin lips... no one looking.... (just don't try this with phirana's in the amazon).

Ok, getting way out of this discussion. (One Fish Two Fish...)

Register to Reply
Guru

03/27/2008 12:34 AM

This thread has taught me one thing: ask an engineer what time it is and he'll tell you how to build a clock.

How else does one explain the enormous amount of verbiage in reply to such a simple question - "Stupid questions: should we answer them or not?"

I mean a simple yes or no would have sufficed!

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 411
In reply to #175

03/27/2008 10:37 AM

I mean a simple yes or no would have sufficed!

at least you can't say engineers don't say much, the question is how to you shut them up?

In reply to #177

03/28/2008 1:19 AM

I've heard thorozine and a subscription to Erotic Equation Monthy has some effect, but the resultant picture isn't pretty.

Guru

How stupid should a question be before we answer it?

03/28/2008 1:12 AM

Beats me!!!

In reply to #190

Re: How stupid should a question be before we answer it?

03/28/2008 3:48 AM

Yeah,....beat me ! beat me ! beat me !

In reply to #193

03/28/2008 4:18 AM

I knew it!

I have two ex's I could concider introducing you to. It would get them off my ass. Trust me, if it's torment you want, they can deal it in spades.

Guru

In reply to #195

03/28/2008 4:28 AM

I wanted a mild spanking, not an outright thrashing with a barbed-wire whip!

In reply to #195

03/28/2008 8:17 AM

I had a good friend and colleague who worked with me in Germany, he had 3 ex wives living in Texas!!

I told him about the country and western song (singer's name George Strait):-

"All my exes live in Texas, which Is why I hang my hat in Tennessee".

I renamed it to:-

"All my exes live in Texas, which Is why I hang my hat in Germany".

Not quite so good but accurate!!!

Click on the LINK for those who have never heard it!

In reply to #190

03/29/2008 10:51 PM

"Beats me!"

You are Egging each other on

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #200

03/30/2008 3:25 AM

I think vermin misunderstood British Pantomime traditions, where people join in by shouting things like "Behind you ! Behind you !". Beats me.

Good Answers: 143

03/31/2008 4:04 PM

Whoa! I gotta start paying more attention to the off-topic postings on this thread. I've been attending some religion classes up at the local Reform Judaism Temple and am toying with the idea of converting, but the differences in culture worried me. I mean, how many Jewish hillbillies have you ever met? But, it sounds like I'd fit right in.

04/01/2008 3:37 PM

What do you mean "WE?"

Good Answers: 143
In reply to #216

04/01/2008 7:37 PM

Thank God nobody asked about stupid answers or I'd get booted out (fade to long shot of drums beating slowly while Chris Leonard strips me of "Guru" and points the way into the desert, throwing me only a water skin and a crust of unleavened bread while the sonorous voice of Ralph Bellamy says "Out into the blazing furnace, driven on by shame and self-loathing.").

In reply to #217

04/01/2008 8:11 PM

Been there, done that, bought the tee shirt and ended up at the Burning Man Festival. Thank God that it was the year before I was supposed to be the main attraction.

Active Contributor

04/29/2008 8:23 AM

hi

1) a question may be easy or tough or stupid to one and difficult to another.

2) anyhow if interested answer

3) a true fact is ......... } helping other's indirectly help us, i.e we recollect and keep in mind more strongly.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #238

04/30/2008 12:15 AM

Maybe.

New Zealand - Member - Interested in everything- see my Profile please APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Hobbies - Musician - Autoharp and Harmonica Hobbies - Hunting - Member Hobbies - Fishing - Member

Location: Christchurch, (The Garden City), South Island, New Zealand
Good Answers: 229
In reply to #239

05/04/2008 2:51 AM

Hello vermin

I've seen a mayfly.

What is a maybe?

kind Regards....

In reply to #240

05/04/2008 3:16 AM

It's a bee that only appears in May!

05/28/2008 7:48 AM

In reply to #242

05/28/2008 11:52 PM

Alternately, "we're dead men on vacation."

05/28/2008 11:55 PM

By the way, I don't know whether anyone has asked this yet, but is this a self-referential question?

New Zealand - Member - Interested in everything- see my Profile please APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Hobbies - Musician - Autoharp and Harmonica Hobbies - Hunting - Member Hobbies - Fishing - Member

Location: Christchurch, (The Garden City), South Island, New Zealand
Good Answers: 229
In reply to #244

05/29/2008 5:35 AM

Hello vermin

from me, for your flash of insight, and perspicacity.

Kind Regards....

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

3Doug (5); Abdel Halim Galala (5); Andy Germany (14); Anonymous Poster (8); bhankiii (2); Bricktop (1); case491 (4); Conrads (1); Del the cat (3); DVader1000 (2); Electroman (3); ffej (1); Garthh (5); garyceng (1); High Lander (1); Hottech (15); khizer (1); Kris (33); micahd02 (7); miketheboilerguy (1); Mr. Truman Brain (6); nick name (1); ozzb (1); phoenix911 (20); PWSlack (4); Qqberci (1); RCE (24); shan (1); Sparkstation (3); Steve S. (1); stevem (1); Stinky Pete (1); Taganan (6); The Commoner (2); tomkaighin (34); TVP45 (7); vermin (19)

Previous in Forum: Airships   Next in Forum: Levling Question

Advertisement