Previous in Forum: Regarding the Amount of Insurance   Next in Forum: Best SS or Carbon Steel Used In Hydrogen Processing
Close
Close
Close
Page 1 of 3: « First 1 2 3 Next > Last »
Associate

What Would You Do?

02/01/2012 10:21 PM

If you had no heat, no electricity, no running water, basically life in its natural state. how would you start to live life an develop build, what would you do. Now with this discussion please feel free to put yourself in anyplace from the arctic to the Bahamas use your imagination within reason please

Register to Reply
This discussion was "closed" on 02/06/2012 9:16 AM. No new comments are allowed.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: what would you do?

02/01/2012 10:40 PM

Why not tell us what your motivation for these questions is.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #1

02/01/2012 11:18 PM

My motivation is that i live on my sailboat Im 21 i dont do much but fish, swim, an explore an anchor close to star bucks as possible for internet. I live day by day my daily routine is life an taking it easy but there alot of hard work involved, guess i just want to know how some one else would do it. Please no smart comments its how i live life.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

02/01/2012 10:49 PM

Figure out fermentation first.

In reply to #2

02/01/2012 10:56 PM

Call out for pizza, too?

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 62
In reply to #2

02/01/2012 10:58 PM

Then distillation!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661
In reply to #2

02/02/2012 4:09 AM

Yup collect fruit, make a bow (and an arrow or two)... look for a cave and a pretty cave lady who can skin and cook a critter and make booze.
Del

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #2

02/03/2012 10:52 AM

Bravo ;-)

Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

02/01/2012 11:06 PM

Are you in Zimbabwe?

In reply to #5

02/02/2012 12:00 AM

no ,american coast

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1727

02/01/2012 11:10 PM

You will die....Don't you ever watch the survival shows on TV...The only way they survive is to make it back to civilization as quickly as possible before they die...and the're experts! I might also add that most anyplace you go you will be on somebody elses land, at least until they throw you off, and/or have you arrested...Gilligans Island was a fantasy...Robinson Crusoe was a fantasy...

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Netherlands - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

Good Answers: 38
In reply to #6

02/01/2012 11:15 PM

oh yeah that guy completly alone in the wilderness, danger everywhere! With a whole camera team!

Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 28
In reply to #7

02/03/2012 6:45 AM

More important than the camera team was the "snack guy". He is everyones friend until he runs out and they eat him.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #6

02/01/2012 11:22 PM

so was on the beach

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #6

02/01/2012 11:34 PM

Well consider this, civilization is filled materialistic people whom would die yes an dont know what it is really to live. Ive been sailing for four years now cant say i miss land to much nor have a cowards state of mind, tv is fantasy im talking about real world necessities common things water, food an preparation I was under the influence there would be smarter comments the only way for you to survive maybe to depend on other people but not some. Please dont post unless you have something intelligent to add

Guru

In reply to #11

02/01/2012 11:42 PM

No man is an island...

In reply to #12

02/03/2012 2:41 AM

In the UK we have the Isle of Man. Yes that's Wight!

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817
In reply to #12

02/06/2012 5:39 AM

North America is an island. Like Guernsey, only a bit bigger.

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266
In reply to #11

02/02/2012 7:59 AM

Don't you own a boat?

United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #11

02/03/2012 4:14 AM

Please dont post unless you have something intelligent to add

You're new to the forum, you're very young...and I'm feeling benevolent today and will give you a Really Useful Piece of Advice.

The sentence of yours I've copied into this post is what is known as A Red Rag To A Bull on this site. You won't win any friends talking to us like that. Your OP hit the right tone, but was light on details. We're (nearly) all engineers here, and we like details and context - because usually these are vital to the safety of a "right" answer. And we don't like wasting time.

Think about it. If all the responses (I haven't read all 48 current posts yet) talk about digging wells and growing food, or corralling wild cattle, they will be of very little value to you on your boat.

Right, I'll peruse the rest of the thread...and see if things got better or worse

In reply to #49

02/03/2012 9:57 AM

Sounds like someone is used to having things exactly as he wants them. That's easy to do when one lives in isolation. No explainations are necessary, since one already knows all the details. (Spoiled little rich kid syndrome?)

Not to mention that the original post sounds just like a social studies assignment.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #51

02/03/2012 10:42 PM

CR4 ADMIN: Deleted Post

Vulgar/Rude/Improper Behavior: This post was deleted because it did not adhere to the behavioral policies of the site. Please review Section 14 of the CR4 Site FAQ and the CR4 Rules of Conduct.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 9)
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 74
In reply to #75

02/03/2012 10:58 PM

I was just going to send you the recipe for the passion fruit brew inside a coconut. You seem to have enough of it so I'll rest my case.

United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #51

02/04/2012 8:33 AM

Agreed. I was uncharacteristically warm and fuzzy yesterday...

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #49

02/03/2012 5:25 PM

I lived the life for a while. Motorcycle, long hair, backpack, puptent, pick up work here and there, blow with the wind..........................

One thing I didn't do, was talk to old people. Damned know-it-alls.

It sounds like he's having fun. He'll never outsail reality though. It always catches up.

Good Answers: 129
In reply to #57

02/03/2012 6:00 PM

"One thing I didn't do, was talk to old people"

I am a little surprised by the long lists of things a guy on a sail boat has to be prepared for.

Maybe I should add "be brush-fire prepared" along with don't anchor in panther and snake infested swamps, stay away from the bears at salmon falls, and of course, avoid the white ones.

Me? Given I've got my boat, my spear and my internet, I'd be looking for an EV wreck for my motor etcetera and of course an actually clever Girl Friday with complementary skill-sets. Sounds like an EE would be high on the OP's list.

In reply to #58

02/03/2012 6:42 PM

I live in a house now, not fancy, but it beats the hell out of not living in a house. Electricity, running water and toilets ain't bad either.

Little boat in the back yard for fishing......................life is good.

I also don't argue with young people. I know from myself as a young buck, that it's pointless.

One day they will know.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #59

02/03/2012 9:29 PM

you get to fish in the back yard!

Guru

In reply to #61

02/03/2012 10:24 PM

No, it's a freaking mosquito nest. I have to take the carb apart............again, in order to go fishing.

No one told me that if I bought a little boat, I would never have time to use it.

Someone give me a quiet cave....................and popcorn.

In reply to #49

02/03/2012 10:09 PM

Not looking for friends my advice (make 7 up yours) Im not a fan of wasting time as well but i do believe your wasting yours.

Right, not looking for usefull info just want to know what people would do on land in water in the sky for all i care but that within reason puts a hold on those thoughs

Guru
Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #69

02/03/2012 10:35 PM

Not looking for friends my advice (make 7 up yours) Im I'm not a fan of wasting time as well but i I do believe your you're wasting yours.

Y'know I don't want to play hall monitor but lemme 'splain this place one more time.

We don't have trolls. People usually don't pass through, we hang around.

So the troll response isn't required.

I've seen perfectly pleasant posts from you, and perfectly obnoxious posts.

The possible misunderstanding is added to by your inability to communicate in writing. This is not some place you pass through. What you do and say counts.

Three thousand posts? Probably a regular around here. And ya just don't hang around here if people don't like you.

Not all that many of us; there are really likeable things about you, we'd kinda like to keep you around.

But if ya keep insulting the members that's gonna be difficult.

If you are being funny, you have to work harder at communicating that.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 83
In reply to #73

02/03/2012 10:59 PM

Your eloquence is remarkable.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #77

02/03/2012 11:59 PM

I hope he hangs around. I'm looking better by the post.

In reply to #73

02/03/2012 11:13 PM

Hahahaaaaa

Admin won't let that last - a bit of a shame - nor you at that rate - which would also be a shame.

Settle down a bit - some just like to poke, prod and pontificate.

Don't let it get under your skin

Power-User

Good Answers: 26
In reply to #73

02/03/2012 11:24 PM

Hi Blair, My key to survival will be to have lots of intelligent, talented friends around when the rug gets jerked out from under us. Together we will do fine without these amenities. (Guess I waited to late to comment again.)

The people on this forum are not responding they way you like because they are not scared like you are. They have likely been doing so much, with so little, for so long, that they can do anything, with nothing, in no time at all. They will have everything working again before you can pull your anchor.

You have these people to thank for your electricity, water, etc. A slice of humble pie should be on your menu, for the best results, maybe you could make it with sea weed.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Guru

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #81

02/04/2012 12:32 AM

This reminds me of that joke where God sent an Engineer to hell.The first thing he did was to repair the AC chillers, then the TV Station, Telecommunication system, Internet and on and on. When God found out he called the Satan and said, "give me back the engineer I want to put him into heaven". the Satan said , "no way". God said, "i will sue you". Satan said "ha ha ha. All the lawyers are with me".

In reply to #92

02/04/2012 12:35 AM

Good one!

In reply to #81

02/04/2012 4:56 PM

so you would rely on other people, not smart, matter a fact any one whom voted for you is as well a moron. i make more use of 10 minuites then you will in your life

Guru

In reply to #126

02/04/2012 5:16 PM

So as I guess you feel better now, how do you balance your diet on a boat 11 months at sea?

Serious question, no trick, you're obviously fit and healthy, I want to know how you do it.

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #131

02/04/2012 5:51 PM

It's patently obvious that he has never been out of sight of land, so 11 months diet balancing is out! :-)

In reply to #138

02/04/2012 6:07 PM

I have noticed he doesn't take to snide remarks or being patronized very well - but who does?

In reply to #126

02/04/2012 5:21 PM

I lived for two weeks with no power or water and temps in the single digits. I've never seen anything pull a community together like that event. It actually gave me a little hope for mankind. I hope you don't alienate everyone in your life, being alone is detrimental to genetic fitness.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #73

02/03/2012 11:28 PM

Good luck with that attitude, child.

Fortunately, moderation has mellowed to the point that your comments are not considered a personal attack.

Please check back in when you have been beaten into real life.....................if you live through it.

In the meantime...................happy sailing.

If you were truly happy, you wouldn't be wasting your time using naughty words on CR4.

What happened? Parents ignoring you? My heart is bleeding.

You've wandered into a group of good people..................sorry if you can't handle it.

We are not scared by curse words......................maybe you can find some little kids to scare.

Check back in when you have sailed to adulthood.

Adios mi amigo!

In reply to #82

02/03/2012 11:42 PM

I'll also add, that you are not the first 21 year old that felt as if they were stuck on a sinking boat.

I can assure you, you are not alone. Behave yourself and it will be reciprocated............................at least here it will. Welcome to CR4.

Misbehavior will equally be dealt with.

In reply to #84

02/04/2012 12:00 AM

Hey Kram, when did you turn into a patronizing old fart?

Made your own mast and stepped it? Re-rigged out of scavenged junk?

If he didn't have a reasonable level of ability the Coast Guard would have beached him long ago.

So what if he's 21, 16 or 60.

In reply to #89

02/04/2012 12:25 AM

If he didn't have a reasonable level of ability the Coast Guard would have beached him long ago.

That's bull$hit. I've been adrift for as long as I can remember, and looking for a savior. The savior is within.

This kid is walking to Starbucks to try to carve out an identity. The question is..................does identity exist without depending on others to give it to us?

He can sit on his boat and spray his seed on memories that should have been, or he can join the rest of us losers.................his choice.

Even crazy must be earned.

In reply to #91

02/04/2012 4:26 PM

I dont walk, an im not adrift as u stated, adrift is to be afloat with out direction or purpose you may not have a purpose an are a piece of but that happens with age an a savior dude, come on.

Guru

Good Answers: 31
In reply to #73

02/03/2012 11:52 PM

Blair;

The world is a big place, with people of all tastes and humor. For a person willing to show a little grace it can be a wonderful place to be.

It is not my place to stand in judgment of anyone, but I will suggest that that life will be much more fun and a lot easier if you can find the grace to accept a few sour grapes in what is really, a very large vineyard.

The only thing that clouds judgment worse than anger is hatred. For me, measuring by words when I am angry helps me to come down from the brain drug trip that defines it. When I measure those words and try to show a little grace, it helps me to buy the time that it takes for my body to process the brain drugs that have brought my blood pressure up, and clouded my judgment.

Bridges are important in life. When the stream is slow and the water warm they give us a little elevation to extend our view. When the stream is a torrent and the water bitterly cold it is not unreasonable to suggest that it is a bridge that can save our very life.

It would be my suggestion that you build many bridges in your life; something that cannot be done unless you can craft and utilize the tools of grace and temperance. These are not easy tools to fashion; the instinct given to all of us from our cave dwelling ancestors continually temps us to act in the instant, to flight or flee in this moment. It is imperative that we as modern social men and women craft those tools in order to take full advantage of the social systems at our disposal.

I once read this somewhere - "Those that anger you control you."

We all become angry; in some situations which few men or women will be lucky enough to completely avoid in life, how you deal with that anger will make the difference between walking away a free and healthy person or getting yourself blown out of the water.

Perhaps today you were angered over what might be considered a small thing. It was a great opportunity to begin to fashion the tools that you will need when your very survival depends upon them.

There will always be men and women who will belittle you for your ideas or mistakes; the only way you will shrink yourself to their smallness is to allow them to anger you; and therefore control you.

Dream Big, Study Hard, Think in Depth, and go for it; but take some tools with you.

Gavilan

Guru

In reply to #73

02/04/2012 12:43 AM

I really hope that the moderators let this stand.

Whenever I start to freak out about getting old, I'd like to savor this post as a testament, that it's not that bad. Much like hair growth, I guess we get smarter a little at a time.................we just don't notice it until a guy like you comes along.

Thanks

In reply to #94

02/04/2012 12:58 PM

They could have just edited it enough to make it rated PG, with out taking away the whole post (note #74 was originally a post by Blain) and the uncertainty and trepidation it conveys.

It reminds me of that time in my life when I knew everything, could do anything, and would live forever.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 140

02/01/2012 11:26 PM

You forgot to tell how much money you have? The Bahamas is OK but anywhere, it costs. Only fish is not enough. Try a rich widow? Just an idea.

In reply to #10

02/01/2012 11:48 PM

Wow there really is no hope for people not one of these comments is related

Guru

In reply to #13

02/02/2012 12:04 AM

Your adventure seems like a dream (read nightmare)

Everyone dreams of it, and on top without paying taxes. These comments are indeed not very hopeful.

Doesn't it make you think again? Most of the places you cannot even stay long, if you may enter. The US costs you minimal $140.00 for a Visa and without one, write off entering it by boat. Bahamas, no stay without cruising permit ($300.00) Maybe the forum expats.com shows you some real problems.

I live in the Bahamas, but that only was not easy and has been a 10 year process. Only breathing here is free.

I am a sailor too but sailing to e.g. Florida still costs me a couple of dollars. Through the year an average of $100.00 per trip, due to wind (un)expectations. Make sure your Radio works well so that the coast guard can help or rescue you.

In reply to #13

02/02/2012 12:10 AM

I'm sorry

Have we failed to entertain?

The board is voluntary and quite participatory, when intrigued.

Your challenge is apparently not interesting.

Living on a sailboat we found interesting, especially at such a young age.

But I have to say, reading one long line of un-punctuated text is challenging and leads to miscommunications.

In reply to #13

02/02/2012 12:14 AM

Now serious:

Try to sell your idea to a sponsor. One that goes or: with you (company can be nice on an ocean) or supplies you with funds and/ or expertise. Make it a fun tour, you are the charter captain. Success.

In reply to #13

02/02/2012 4:16 AM

Sorry we don't measure up to your expectations of seriously trying to entertain you.

Unfortunately, you only get to make the rules on your boat, not here, so you'll have to accept even those responses that don't meet your selfish criteria of sincerity.

I'm sorry you're bored.

Good luck with that 3 phase generator.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

02/02/2012 12:15 AM

I actually grew up without electricity , piped running water . heat , TV (bliss) , Internet etc

On a farm the first thing you do is to dig a well - I would not recommend

that on a boat.

You might use a desert water catcher for water.

Guru

Good Answers: 31

02/02/2012 12:54 AM

A method of making water,

A method of growing or producing a variety of food.

Find a way to generate enough money to maintain the boat and build and maintain the subsystems.

Hmmmmm -

First things first - Get a Captains License. Get a vending license or whatever it takes from the National Park Service and get you and your equipped boat to American Samoa. Or sell yours and buy one a little closer.

Convert it to a tourist camper with hammocks for use while underway; and good camping gear, cooking gear, and snorkeling gear to use to guide snorkelers to the national park there. Make sure you have figured how to market your service. Get it on the NP website. Get a Masters License or whatever it takes so you can teach sailing and qualify other people.

If that doesn't work then sell everything, find a good engineering university, get a degree related to hydro-kinetic power and build appropriately scaled Tide Channel Turbines and Pumped Storage systems; become extremely wealthy and buy a self-sustaining yacht with a green- house and fish cleaning station.

Dang kid; there is only so much you can do with a boat and no money; and a whole lot you can do with a boat and some money. And a whole lot more you can do with a boat load of money.

Dream Big, Study Hard, Think in Depth, and go get it.

Good Answers: 19

02/02/2012 1:10 AM

First you invent the Wheel and then Fire. By the time you do that your lifetime will be over and after next million of years someone else will come ask some question.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661
In reply to #20

02/02/2012 4:53 AM

Nah, the wheel is overrated, that's why the unicycle hasn't really caught on.
Del
(rapidly unsubscribes)

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

02/02/2012 1:12 AM

It is possible to write successful accounts of being a footloose and fancy-free voyager. To do this, one must be literate, or else collaborate with a good ghostwriter.

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 74

02/02/2012 2:18 AM

Your lacking a 'd', and others ...........on your key board?

use your imagination within reason please

Come visit, no imagination needed. I could have done it years ago here were I am and could if the proverbial hits the fan. In that case stay were you are because I'll need all hands on deck and not social studies.

We are having crabs and oysters in chilli coconut on fried green bananas and some passion fruit wine tonight.

Suffer

In reply to #22

02/02/2012 11:36 AM

You'll have to teach me your recipe for wine, mine has the tendency to be very sweet

an more like a juice. Everything goes well in gumbo.

Register to Reply
Guru
India - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 163

02/02/2012 3:22 AM

Reporter was interviewing the great Chief Sitting Bull :

Rep : So chief, what do you think of America today? Aren't you happy with the progress ? Automobiles, computers..

SB (with a kind smile) : Before white man came, we spent all day hunting, fishing, swimming, eating, drinking, napping. We spent nights making love. No money, no taxes, no Washington, no Wall street. Only white man is stupid enough to think he can improve the quality of life.

Something there. Go on, do your thing. More power (not electricity) to you....

In reply to #23

02/02/2012 6:31 PM

I think the quote went more like this...

"When I was a boy, the Sioux owned the world. The sun rose and set on their land; they sent ten thousand men to battle. Where are the warriors today? Who slew them? Where are our lands? Who owns them?"

These were warrior tribes not waxing intellectual boy scouts...

Good Answers: 86

02/02/2012 3:37 AM

I'd start looking for a mate, that likes only sea food, ASAP. S.M.

02/02/2012 3:42 AM

Are you physically and mentally fit to make this work? (arctic to the bahamas) You need to be fit.

Are you especially trained to survive in the wild? Do you have any skills? You will need these.

Do you have a basic survival kit? ax, knives, multi-function tool, etc? I you do not have these, you need the skills to improvise.

Are there natural resources at your disposal? If you are placed in a location without natural resources, you're dead meat.

How long do you plan to do this? I guess it depends on the above.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 115

02/02/2012 5:26 AM

Depends what you mean by 'natural and 'develop'. I'd (in the right setting) try copy the John Mills version of Swiss Family Robinson. A weapon might be handy for all the incongruous critters.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114

02/02/2012 8:33 AM
Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #2
In reply to #31

02/02/2012 11:13 AM
Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

Re: What Would You Do?

02/02/2012 9:15 AM

Richard Louis "Dick" Proenneke (born May 4, 1916 - April 20, 2003) was an American naturalist, who lived alone in the high mountains of Alaska at a place called Twin Lakes. Living in a log cabin he constructed by hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss&list=PL99FAF342A107E619&index=2&feature=plpp_video

For a few people not hard to figure what you need to do. The difficult part would be to face the hardships of it unless something forced you to and had no choice. Knowledge like Del skills in making bows would help. Man is very adaptable, skills can be learned. Those people that can't perish.

What's forcing you? Is this an educational post? You having problem going it alone?

In reply to #32

02/02/2012 11:48 AM

No force, not an edu post, no problems. I just dont talk to many ppl, bows are much better for land hunting then under water, top side spearing is a great way when a nice chum is used, draws the bigger catch. Theres alot less hardships with practice an preparation, biggest one lately is finding people in common water.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 410
In reply to #32

02/02/2012 1:45 PM

I've seen that, it was quite interesting.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 177

02/02/2012 9:50 AM

Learn to become a "PREPPER"......

Went the chit hits the fan for whatever reason you cannot count on anyone, let along the government, to help you or save you skin. It's all up to you how you will overcome adversity and survive.

Google search it! Also, there are a lot of U-Tube videos touching on the subject. View and learn!

You need some basics in order to survive, otherwise you will perish: food, water, clothing (for all seasons), foot protection (all seasons), fire (for cooking, disinfection of water, and for heat/comfort), and a shelter. Owning some sort of weapon to protect yourself from predators/criminals/Zombies is a primary concern. My selection and advice to you would be to obtain a very good & reliable pistol (Beretta 9mm...M9, or a Colt .45 ACP...known as the M1911A1 in US Military parlance), as well as a "black rifle" (read AR-15, chambered for .223 Remington/5.56mm x 45mm NATO caliber), and a good selection of knives (all types). Make sure you have enough bullets for each firearm to last a while. And learn how to use those firearms on a firing range. In an emergency, that is not the time to test out how to arm yourself......proficiency is the name of the game, or you're dead.

Ahhhhh, another clueless one.

Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #33

02/02/2012 10:38 AM

Problem with the firearms in the Caribbean is they are highly unlawful. You are not permitted to shoot even in self defense. If you do shoot and the authorities don't prosecute for some reason, you will find yourself at the mercy of the family of the fellow you shot.

A USVI Police officer was arrested in the BVI. The reason was he had left some shotgun shells in his pocket. If you shoot, you must disappear.

There are few "free" mooring places left. Most have regulations requiring registering the vessel. Here in P.R. they do not recognize "US Documented" vessels. If you stay here you must register your vessel.

As for surviving in the Arctic, I suggest you read a couple of Jack London's novels. They are free to download.

In the meantime, enjoy it while you can, the gray hair comes sooner than you think

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 44

02/02/2012 12:34 PM

I...for one...commend you and your spirit. So many people in this modern age feel they "need" all of the modern (and not so modern) trappings of life just to "survive".

As long as you are happy and not bothering anybody else, what does it matter?

Do I really "need" a computer? A television? cable/satellite? A dishwasher? Microwave? Central air/heat? Telephone/cell phone? Taking this question seriously...none of these items are actual needs for human survival.

Register to Reply
Guru

02/02/2012 5:26 PM

I would get the basic needs covered first...............food, water, shelter. After that I would continue to work to make myself more comfortable. Same as humans have always done.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 70

02/02/2012 11:25 PM

No matter where you chose to be - Shelter, Water, Food, Waste disposal, Security - repeat on a regular schedule - like daily.

Commentator

Good Answers: 5

02/03/2012 12:00 AM

6 years ago I was living this life, with two caveats. I was living on 600 acres in the desert. Right up against the mountains. The water came from a mile long above ground 100 year old pipeline. The weir (water collecting) box had dead animals in it from time to time, there was no drinking the water, even boiled it tasted like, well like there were dead animals in it. The electricity came from a 40 watt solar panel feeding 8 fried deep cycle batteries. When the inverter started beeping from high voltage I turned on as many lights until it stopped beeping. At night at 7 pm when the batteries died from the massive load the cfl light put on it, it was time for bed! I could watch 2 movies before the battery in my luv truck got low and I had to start it. No heat and no ac or evap cooler. And then there were the rattlesnakes. I never left my cabin without my shotgun. Antifreeze cures the skins perfectly. The meat is incredibly bony. People shooting at me, being tracked by mountain lions, blasting venemous snakes, going hungry, living without refrigeration. You learn to appreciate a dog. Snake distractor, security system, cougar alerter and friend.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Commentator

02/03/2012 12:51 AM

Unfortunately, this being the 21st century, you will not be able to sustain your lifestyle for long... I commenced living as you describe in 1960 and managed to sustain it for the next forty odd years... BUT, and its a great big "but", times have changed and there are too many regulations against what you are attempting... There is only one sure-fire way to sustain your lifestyle, and that is with some sort of income... Money, in other words... You do not need much, but you definately need some... Boats HAVE to be hauled out of the water for bottom paint, if not repairs and no-one hauls your vessel for free. Have you priced bottom paint recently? To keep going as you seem to desire, you'll have to find a way to get a little cash I'm sorry to say...

If you are determined to carry on, give serious consideration to selling most of those "goodies" your boat has. Things like depth sounders, radios, and GPS units are NOT necessary if you have the skills that our ancestors had. Learn how to simplify... Practice the "KISS" principle (Keep It Simple Stupid)...

Finally; I believe you have the wrong boat for the job... Modern marconi rigged boats do not lend themselves to field repairs and you'll not find a boatyard that will fix for free... Sorry to be down on your enterprise, but the facts of life are as above described, and I have not even touched the surface ...

In reply to #44

02/03/2012 2:27 AM

I lived pretty basic in my late teens and early twenties in a cabin in Manitoba, Canada; long winters, freezing temperatures hovering between -10 to -20 degrees for weeks on end, no running water or indoor plumbing, a mile walk or so to get water and food, lack of firewood, and so on. You can manage through pretty much anything when you're young. Now it's 30 something years later, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't manage, certainly not by choice at this point in life.

The hardest part of living minimalist and being poor is the isolation. You do truly learn to appreciate the simple things in life though.

Some part of me is still considering moving on to a boat and gunkholing during the summer, but winters in BC, Canada (Pacific Northwest to some of you) are damp and cold, arthritis and general pains earned from a misspent youth make daily challenges a little harder at times now.

The essentials, fresh water, healthy food, warmth, hot showers, clean facilities, are all pretty much essential for any quality of life. You need to understand the lesson hardest learned in life is "without your health, you have absolutely nothing". Enjoy your current choice while you're able, but when it starts to hurt, have other options available.

That's what it was like living on 2 cents in my experience...

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Associate

In reply to #44

02/03/2012 8:50 PM

If i could show you a picture of my boat i would an you die laughing the mast went two years ago in a storm i replaced it with a tree (NOT AN EASY TASK) took around a week still have my boom, but alot of the original parts are now wood mostly drift wood i found on the beach.

I dont really believe in bottom paint its pollutant, I dive an scrape the bottom every three weeks. I have to say with the stars alone i can travel but i have done this several time an been off by a few miles but if its cloudy i have sit an wait, gps would help if i knew how to hook up the wind mills i have so i could power it. I do have to say thou, coast guard is a problem every now an then but always have left my ship with a hand shake. An i have a job i only work a month a year but its all i need and more then some others have.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 102
In reply to #60

02/03/2012 9:30 PM

Don't the tree branches clash with the sail?

In reply to #62

02/03/2012 9:42 PM

Its just the trunk think but i hope that wasnt a real?

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #62

02/03/2012 9:48 PM

Truly a knotty problem ;-)

In reply to #60

02/03/2012 9:34 PM

I'm liking your style

I'm sure you've heard of careening a boat, for a repair like mast replacement or bottom scrape.

The Brits (and I'm sure others of the period but I read about the Brits) given calm waters, could careen at sea.

In reply to #63

02/03/2012 9:50 PM

The problem with careening is that the ballast has to be removed, and with the Irwin's fixed ballast, that would be problematic.

In reply to #66

02/03/2012 9:56 PM

I wasn't suggesting, just admiring!

But your technical analysis is profound

In reply to #68

02/03/2012 10:17 PM

Careening at sea??? Hmmm!... Not to be argumentative, but I would really like a reference to that operation... The careening of a vessel requires the ballast to be removed and placed ashore, then tackles are clapped on the mast/s, at the point where the lower rigging joins the spar... The other end of the tackle is fastened to a strong point ashore and the fall of the tackle hauled on... A large vessel would have the fall of the tackle led to a capstan and with this setup, the ship hove over onto the turn of her bilge in shallow water... Once the work is done, down to the keel, the whole thing is turned around and the vessel hove over the other way to do whatever needed to be done to the hull... Hard to find a strong point at sea, and no skipper would allow his masts to be weighted by the ballast... Who are you reading?... I enjoy that stuff too :-)

In reply to #70

02/03/2012 10:38 PM

Best description so far was one of the O'Brian books, but not the only reference I've seen.

does require two ships though

In reply to #74

02/03/2012 11:14 PM

Two ships... That would work, as long as the sea was truly calm... There'd be hell to pay, or should that be "The Devil To Pay" ;-), if the weather changed a fraction ... I would hazard a guess that careening that way was only a last resort....Interesting... :-)

In reply to #80

02/03/2012 11:37 PM

Wouldn't be my first choice

In reply to #80

02/04/2012 8:58 PM

If my faded memory serves it was a below waterline hole after the battle of the Nile, so nicely Mediterranean. And of course plenty of other help around. Still blew me away reading it.

In reply to #152

02/04/2012 10:05 PM

For sure!!! A ball below the waterline would require emergency surgery!... It's mind-boggling nevertheless... First, the damaged vessel would have to have most of her ballast transferred over to the second ship, no mean feat even given the large labour force... Second, topgallants and topmasts, royals even, if it was a large ship, would all have to come down, on the damaged ship... Even the salvor would have to have yards at least cockbilled, probably lowered... When all that is done the ship could then conceivably be hove down... She wouldn't have to be hove down very far as a ball below the w/l would have been incurred while she was heeled and would not be very far below the LWL...

The risks would still be great, as the slightest swell would result in chaos!

Great stuff all the same :-) Those old-time sailors were truly "Sailors" I admire them.

Thanks for the post... If you enjoy old-time seamanship, I could send you a short description of an incident from Colombus' forth voyage...

In reply to #156

02/04/2012 10:26 PM

Just out of interest, as I don't know much about these old ships hull cross sections, but I thought they were fairly 'round bottomed'; why wouldn't they just move the ballast to one side so induce a list and use the other ship to steady via controlling the mast?

In reply to #157

02/04/2012 10:54 PM

Good question... However, careening was usually done in order to expose the entire hull, right down to the keel, and even get that just out of the water... In order to accomplish this, the ship has to be lightened sufficiently to float high enough on the turn of its bilge... Careening was usually done in order to maintain whatever bottom protection against Teredo worm and Gribble was employed... Sometimes copper sheet was nailed to the hull, but most often working vessels were simply tarred... Its hard to get tar to stick to wet wood :-)... Caulking, and even plank replacement was routinely done to a hove-down vessel too... Hope this answers your query... Ciao

In reply to #159

02/04/2012 11:02 PM

Yep - thanks

In reply to #156

02/04/2012 11:24 PM

I'd enjoy that!

I did several years in the steel ship Navy without ever putting my feet on a deck (I was in Patrol planes), and so like many became an 'armchair' sailor.

In reply to #161

02/04/2012 11:54 PM

I don't see how to "attach" a word document which contains pictures to this reply form... If you e-mail me at robin@mcconnelldancers.com I'll reply with the attachment...

In reply to #66

02/03/2012 10:30 PM

You have to sail fast run her a grown on her side an it is problematic but without the fixed ballast it wouldnt of been that easy to repair my ship with it being mostly on its side but bc of it i was stuck in the sand for long time

There is a reason that i will never do it again with the irwin, the hull is very thin an was damaged. thou i prepared for such things it wasnt nice to see a big crack in the hull.

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #72

02/03/2012 11:05 PM

Sounds like a shipwreck to me :-)

This discussion was "closed" on 02/06/2012 9:16 AM. No new comments are allowed.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

34point5 (21); Anonymous Poster (5); Barchetta (7); Blair (20); Captain Curious (11); CaptMoosie (2); cuba_pete (1); DCaD (1); Del the cat (2); ducon (2); dvmdsc (3); edignan (11); Elroy (1); English Rose (5); Epke (1); Garthh (9); Gavilan (3); Hendrik (2); JohnDG (3); jt (1); JWthetech (1); kendall (1); kramarat (35); Kris (9); kvsridhar (1); ky (10); lyn (4); MSEELady (1); ozzb (2); phoenix911 (1); phph001 (1); PWSlack (2); Rainmain (1); raymundo (1); Relic Amps (1); SimpleMind (1); SolarEagle (3); StandardsGuy (2); sue (1); The Mechanic (2); Tom_Consulting (1); Tornado (14); tundrawolf (1); Wal (2)

Previous in Forum: Regarding the Amount of Insurance   Next in Forum: Best SS or Carbon Steel Used In Hydrogen Processing

Advertisement