Previous in Forum: Bar Codes To Help Meomory   Next in Forum: Magic Number
Close
Close
Close
55 comments
Participant

Why Engineers Are Not Getting The Jobs That Require A Skill Set?

10/18/2016 3:10 AM

Engineers in India are the most eligible unemployed people. Why don't engineers get a job that is close to their skill set related to the curriculum they studied?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

Re: Why engineers are not getting the jobs that require a skill set?

10/18/2016 3:35 AM

Have you seen the skill set of some of them?

In reply to #1

10/18/2016 5:03 AM

Many of my batch mates were excellent at programming and coding but they ended up not getting the job and then opted for further non technical studies.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 70
In reply to #4

10/18/2016 7:20 AM

"excellent at programming and coding" would be in the judgment of the hiring party. Maybe they are not as "excellent" as they think they are?

Anonymous Poster #1

10/18/2016 4:30 AM

That is a good question.

On this site, we have many people in India asking for help on advanced engineering problems - the majority of which are in the field of high power electrical. The questions they ask makes it clear that they don't have the qualifications to be in the position they are in, and could even cause injury or death by their lack of understanding.

See these:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/109111/Contactor-Coils-Failure-in-GRR-Panel

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/109067/Export-of-Solar-Power-Import-of-Grid-Power

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/108768/3-Phase-Induction-Motor-Not-Stopped

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/108735/Selection-of-Surge-Diverter-in-Indoor-Switchgear

It would seem that the field of Electrical Engineering with emphasis on Power Systems is wide open in India.

Go for it! (but don't expect us to do your homework)

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Anonymous Poster #2
In reply to #2

10/19/2016 8:45 AM

Wow, an AP#1 post that actually makes sense and is not a dumb question or useless snark.

I know my job is to poke fun at AP#1 for being an idiot, but I have to break with tradition here:

Well done, sir! Kudos! Good on ya, Mate!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 774

10/18/2016 4:50 AM

Most every technical question I have ever seen from anyone from India anywhere on the internet suggests they couldn't engineer their own way out of a cardboard box.

SO given that yea, they're eligible for unemployment being they are likely unemployable as engineers hence the reason they can't get jobs.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 12

Re: Why Engineers Are Not Getting The Jobs That Require A Skill Set?

10/18/2016 7:47 AM

My younger son is a coding expert. He has done Bachelors of engineering from India and Masters from Scotland. He refused great offers from many leading organisations all over the world and went on to start his own company. He says it is very difficult to get a coding expert to suit his company requirement.

CR4 ADMIN - email address and personal info removed

From the CR4 Rules: Do not post phone numbers or email addresses. The CR4 Admin will delete all phone numbers and email addresses posted in threads or comments. You can share this information via the CR4 internal messaging system.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #6

10/19/2016 10:46 AM

Please do not publish personal names or contact information on an open forum. You might endanger him.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #6

10/19/2016 11:56 AM

Not only is posting personal contact information in the open forum dangerous, it is also against the Terms Of Service.

It's banned precisely BECAUSE of the dangers of releasing personal information into the wild.

I'm afraid I need to flag your post for the moderators to edit and remove the personal information. I'm not doing it out of malice, but to try and protect the person whose personal information you are sharing from potential harassment.

You can give personal information out in private messages, but not on the public forum.

(Self-marking as OT)

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 411

10/18/2016 8:35 AM

I worked with some very competent Engineers from India, and others even though they very intelligent, they were so competently focused on such a small area of expertise that maybe the reason that they could get a job is that they weren't well rounded in areas tangent to their skills-sets.

United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 24

10/18/2016 8:52 AM

Yesterday Bayes posted a link to a disturbing prediction, about sharp layoffs in mainstream tech companies. A couple -- IBM and Cisco -- are predicted to shed 40% of their workforce in the next year. That really caught my eye. I know IBM has a substantial number of employees in India, and they have been actively training people in mainframe programming (my brother-in-law, one of the last of the Big Iron guys in the US, so it seems, manages mainframe projects for an Indian outsourcing company). IBM cutbacks could be one reason qualified engineers aren't getting jobs. Also possible that their expertise is in areas that aren't in demand.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

10/18/2016 9:31 AM

A person doesn't need a degree in journalism or literature to be a writer. A person doesn't need a degree in sports management to be an athlete. A person doesn't need a degree in computer science to write software.

'Society' places too much emphasis on getting a degree, even for occupations that don't really need a degree - at least not a 4-year degree. If one wants to have a job writing scientific code, one ought to have some advanced education in math and sciences, but so much of code writing can be done with just a high school education and some occupational training.

Like it or not, the job market responds to supply and demand. When there is abundant supply, the demand for any one person drops. It's just a fact of life. And there are a lot of people in a lot of countries capable of writing code. You're competing for jobs with people around the world.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #9

10/18/2016 3:21 PM

Very true. Where I work there are 14 people considered "engineers". I have the only 4 year BS in an engineering field. At least one of those other 13 is probably more knowledgeable in his niche field than any engineer with a degree. Smart people will find their niche and perform quite well without a BS.

The 2 year degree is just a 4 year degree without the liberal arts and other science fields bs added. My Wife has done better than myself with a 2 year degree.

In reply to #9

10/19/2016 6:30 AM

You are correct in your assessment that a college "degree" does not insure competence...

I am a non-degreed engineer that has been quite successful, despite the lack of that "piece of paper". Of course, I have had doors slammed in my face, been denigrated by those with "degrees", denied opportunities, but have picked myself up and kept going.

I find it unconscionable that a "degreed" engineer cannot perform basic functions such as changing a tire on a car, or replacing an electrical switch. I know many degreed engineers who fit that description.

I have been (electrical) engineering for the last forty years, have kept up with the advances in the field and can run circles around many of those with "degrees".

As an aside, the college "degree" has become the "gatekeeper" as aptitude tests were outlawed by the "supreme court" because of "civil-rights" concerns (Griggs v. Duke Power). In the old days, employers utilized aptitude tests to determine the "fit" of a prospective employee with the organization's mission--no more...since the "college degree" has become the "gatekeeper", we are worse off as a result.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
In reply to #15

10/19/2016 9:05 AM

"...since the "college degree" has become the "gatekeeper", we are worse off as a result."

In the sense that it has devalued the High School Diploma/G.E.D. to mere toilet paper, and directly or indirectly led to the death of the 'Trade Schools' that taught to the High School level, but focused on career paths that did not require College degrees, career paths such as Mechanic, Electrician, Repair Technician, CNC Operator, Carpenter, Plumber, etc. Note that those are all career paths that are still needed in society, but the trade schools that gave the 'hands-on' learning required to succeed in those fields are gone, replaced by 'college prep' schools.

Add in all the colleges with specialized degrees in underwater basket-weaving, and the 'for-profit' colleges that do little for their students but pile on thousands in student loan debt, and you can see that the entire educational system in America is broken, and in complete disconnect with what employers actually NEED.

(The fact that what employers NEED and what they say they WANT are often disconnected with each other is a topic for another time. However, here's a quick example, HR putting a requirement of 'must have 5 years experience in X brand auto-widgets' when the X brand auto-widget has only been on the market for two years.)

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 90
In reply to #17

10/19/2016 9:12 AM

Hey... us underwater basket weavers need employment too!!!

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #18

10/19/2016 10:48 AM

Truth is that reeds must be more flexible under water!

In reply to #9

10/20/2016 2:25 AM

Thanks for in depth answer,

I agree with the Demand and Supply model you depicted through your answer. But What if these opportunities are reduced by government. For an Example, I was appearing in Engineering sciences in CSIR NET Exam. This is not an convention engineering Job.
You may see the Job profile here: CSIR NET Exam

But due to some strange reasons government decided to discontinue the engineering sciences subject 2015 onward.

Now what shall an engineering aspirant do? How can demand of an engineering faculty members fall short so drastically that there is need to discontinue subject.

The actual scenario is that government approved low quality engineering institutes with large amount of seats and now there is no jobs for these graduates. Even if they are skilled, they are stereotyped with such less skilled engineers.

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

10/18/2016 2:04 PM

Put very simply 100 or 200 people applying for the same job means most don't get it.

Oversupply of job applicants and undersupply of jobs means people have to adapt or look at possible jobs further away.

Good Answers: 116

10/18/2016 11:13 PM

you said..

'eligible unemployed people'

eligible for what?

Unemployed because?

Eligible for marriage?
Unemployed because they have not skill sets, that is, they couldn't even put a light bulb in a light holder!

A degree is not the answer to everything!

Good Answers: 107

10/19/2016 3:44 AM

Maybe its the kind of music they are or are not listening too!

Good Answers: 107
In reply to #13

10/20/2016 2:10 AM

Heh whats wrong with the Stones? Its the best answer I could come up with in lack of a good question.

10/19/2016 4:13 AM

Students train for a career that suits their natural abilities. They then hit the real world & realise that the salaries for various occupations don't match their expectations. At this point, many will opt for a career change.

Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 20

10/19/2016 11:24 AM

I cannot speak to the situation in India, but there are a few things to add to all the other replies:

1 - did these engineers do a little research before going to school to see what fields had job opportunities or upcoming opportunities?

2 - did these engineers just go to school to get a degree that they thought would guarantee them a job(i.e. the world of millennials)?

3 - are these engineers willing and able to diversify their skill sets to get a job?

4 - are the programs offered relatable to what positions are available or will be available?

Over the many years I have had to adapt and learn many new things just to do what tasks I was given. I have dabbled in many disciplines of engineering, a lot of which I had no "formal" training.

Hate to use cliches, but,,,,, you have to "think outside the box" sometimes.

In reply to #21

10/19/2016 4:16 PM

1 - did these engineers do a little research before going to school to see what fields had job opportunities or upcoming opportunities?

Oh yeah - I just saw that one played out right here at work. Now it wasn't a 4 year degree, but a friend here spent thousands on getting a degree in a technical field by night classes over the last few years, with the hopes of moving up to a better paying job. Close to graduation she discovered the openings available near here have no benefits, so to quit here and go there, she loses money. Yes - check the availability of jobs and the details associated with them before choosing a field of study.

In reply to #24

10/19/2016 5:14 PM

It seems to me that, these days, the areas of specialty are getting a little narrow. Back in my day, most disciplines were pretty broad with very few very specific courses within the various disciplines. As an employer, I would prefer to see a broader more generic candidate who can learn on the job, just like the chances I was given. That is what gives you an impressive resume, unfortunately only after having a job or two.

I would hazard a guess that some employers are looking for very specific things these days though. But that kind of limits any chance of advancement, at least in my opinion.

Just my 2¢ worth.

In reply to #25

10/20/2016 8:26 AM

"I would hazard a guess that some employers are looking for very specific things these days though. But that kind of limits any chance of advancement, at least in my opinion."

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head there. Ever since companies stopped looking at employees as a strategic asset and started considering them a replaceable resource, the HR department (Used to be Human RELATIONS, now is Human RESOURCES; there's the sign (literally) of the change in attitude) shifted from 'finding competent people who will fit well with and grow with the company' to 'searching resumes to find the bullet-point skills listed in the job description.' That also let to such gems as a job opening requiring five years experience on a technology that is only two years old.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #31

10/20/2016 8:47 AM

Catbert.

In reply to #25

10/20/2016 8:49 AM

Oh yes - totally agree. Back when I graduated from college, engineers came out of school with very thin knowledge in basically every engineering discipline. I was totally qualified for absolutely nothing specific, but could be considered for every job in electrical engineering and a few jobs in other engineering venues. Schooling was very broad back then. And that is how it should be, unless you want to have industry specific training, but then what happens when that particular field has a major down turn?

My first engineering job was in re-designing the signal systems in health care facilities to meet new codes. That was very hot for about 5 years, then I was in the batch of engineers laid off because the field was saturated and the work slowing down. Went from there to petroleum engineering field work with electronic instrumentation. The engineering curriculum in those days allowed such easy transitions, and the employers knew we would need specific job training.

And, yes, this friend of mine had very specific job training so, when she found she couldn't afford to go to that field without moving far away, she was resigned to staying where she was. Not a good way to be educated. But that seems to be what employers want these days.

In reply to #33

10/20/2016 10:28 AM

"And, yes, this friend of mine had very specific job training so, when she found she couldn't afford to go to that field without moving far away, she was resigned to staying where she was. Not a good way to be educated. But that seems to be what employers want these days."

Now there's a twist I had not thought of before: that companies are pushing for industry specific training, which requires the graduates to move far away from their home and social support network in order to get the job they've been trained for. That uprooting and relocating the employee to a new area, most likely with different values and traditions than their own(1), leaves the employee 'adrift,' more dependent on the employer for a sense of stability, and more vulnerable to pressure to conform to social norms they would have rejected back home. One more area where the employer exerts power and control over the employee.

Notes:

1. Such as a student, moving from the liberal, cosmopolitan world of the Big City and heading to the conservative, homogeneous world of the Small Town That Technically Isn't A Company Town, But Since The Town Would Wither And Die If The One Remaining Factory Left Or Shut Down, It Might As Well Be Owned By The Plant.
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #34

10/20/2016 11:16 AM

Companies requiring relocation and trying to control an employee is nothing new. The wireline service industry for oil and gas well analysis, in the late 1970's, discovered that a geologist with a degree would say good bye and go to work on the other side of the bench in a wireline logging truck in a matter of 6 months or so. Big Oil paid their employees better than the service industries, and had better working hours. So wireline companies switched to hiring electrical engineers and getting them trained in geology and utilizing their education for under standing the recorders and electronic logging instruments. Wireline logging bases were typically located far from most electrical/electronic engineering jobs, and they moved employees nearly every year so they couldn't get settled into an area.

Now, Big Oil didn't want the electrical engineer, and the 4 week training in geology was hardly a good resume point if looking for a job at say, a power plant, or a semiconductor company. The only obvious other job, that could use your newly acquired electronic trouble shooting skills were maintenance jobs. Pay for that was much less than for wireline service engineers. They had you trapped.

I must say I did appreciate that they never tried to hide the down side of the job during the interview, but presented it as a challenge and ask if you could handle this. They still got suckers, such as myself, hooked. Eleven years, and I finally took that maintenance job and worked up to designing. Twenty five years now, doing what I thought I would be doing 45 years ago.

So, back to the point of the OP - new enginners right out of school - get a job at whatever, even if it is not in your actual school based training, and pick up new and interesting skills. Later in life, you might get into what you wanted to do after school.

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #34

10/21/2016 12:51 AM

"...uprooting and relocating the employee to a new area, most likely with different values and traditions than their own..., leaves the employee 'adrift,' more dependent on the employer for a sense of stability, and more vulnerable to pressure to conform to social norms they would have rejected back home."

Makes it harder to quit.

In reply to #51

10/21/2016 8:10 AM

That falls under the 'more dependent on the employer' umbrella.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #51

10/21/2016 9:11 AM

I had to refresh myself that the OP is in India. Uprooting/moving, at least to me when I attended university was almost a "given". To start, school was a minimum 3 hours drive, so no going home every weekend. There really was no industry close to my home town that could employ me. I ended up a 5 hours drive from home on my first job(a town about the same size as my home town - 15,000) but it wasn't long before I was a 5 hour jet plane flight from home in a city of over 2,000,000 people.

To the point, when a person goes for higher education, you have to expect that you will have to relocate unless you have researched the opportunities at home and chosen a field accordingly.

In reply to #53

10/21/2016 9:57 AM

Your journey was from small town to big city, so the transition was not too hard, you went from a place where 'everyone knew everyone else' to being a stranger in a place where most people are strangers to each other, so 'finding a place to fit in' wasn't hampered much by reactions from neighbors. That's an easier transition than being raised in a large, cosmopolitan, multicultural area and having to look at relocating to a small town (because that's the only town near the factory) and being the only strange face and 'odd look' (from fashion, manners, or skin tone) in a place that "doesn't get many strangers."

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #54

10/21/2016 10:08 AM

Either way, it is a bit of a culture shock, but one does adapt. FYI, I no longer live in that metropolis, my new "home" town has a population of 564 and I like it.

In reply to #33

10/20/2016 1:12 PM

It is sad that some employers think the "specific" route for employing engineers. I am sure that there are some new graduates or upcoming graduates out there that want to do something specific and nothing else (hope they have done their career search ahead of time).

I actually started in my field, agricultural engineering, with a short line farm equipment manufacturer which led to my second job in railway maintenance equipment manufacturing (because I supposedly know how to design plows), and when that went off track (pun intended), I moved into the structural steel industry. All the times being given opportunities to branch out into other non-engineering areas - I actually had 3 jobs here, HR and purchasing/accounting as well as my "regular" job. All those opportunities to branch out gave me a very broad experience. My final move was into automotive as a business owner. I've survived 20+ years in it because of my diversity and just knowing where to look for what.

After all, when I went to school, it wasn't so much "the details" (yes you needed to know some in order to get the degree), but how to think and where to look for the tools needed, no matter what the tools were.

In reply to #41

10/20/2016 1:27 PM

After all, when I went to school, it wasn't so much "the details" (yes you needed to know some in order to get the degree), but how to think and where to look for the tools needed, no matter what the tools were.

Yes - definitely. Very true my first time thru. (pre-calculators) As long as you had the formulas correct, the numerical number didn't matter. Second time around, calculators existed and you also had to have correct numerical answers.

The knowing how to find what you needed to know was the whole point of the degree. When finished the first time, I really didn't know anything about engineering except what each field was about and where to find answers. Even after a 4 year degree, I was left wondering what an electrical engineer did.

Finding the answers is easier now that Google exists. Must say I use the internet extensively in my work. I often wonder how we found the right formula or part before the internet. I really don't recall.

So do todays engineering grads have it easier with the internet available 24/7? I wonder if they have a course for engineers now called something like "Surfing for the Answer". (apparently not after reading some of the posts we get)

In reply to #42

10/20/2016 2:42 PM

My, my, my we are really dating ourselves. Mine were all slide rules days. Only thing new on the market were the plain old 4 function calculators (5 if you really spent some $$ and got the √ function¡).

I am sure that things are a lot easier with the internet. It kind of makes we wonder if the students these days are really learning anything, or just where to look it up.

Good Answers: 22
In reply to #44

10/20/2016 2:55 PM

The good ones learn: both to research and know what bits apply where.

The adequate ones know where to look for the answers, or who to ask.

The rest just hope the answer comes along and they can take the credit for it.

Unfortunately, the latter seem more abundant.

In reply to #44

10/20/2016 2:58 PM

Yep - a slide rule. Still have mine, but couldn't use it anymore. We did, by my last year, have access to a "calculator" that looked just like a PC keyboard and actually did the basic math operations for us. Wow - we waited in line for hours to use that thing. Whole lot quicker than using Fortran / Watfor and making punch cards.

Four years later, the second time around, I was using a $169.00 Texas Instrument scientific calculator. Did the math on the cost and updated to current dollars - that was a $1000 calculator. Definitely worth it in those days, since I was taking a full credit load of 400 level (senior) courses in physics.

Really - what is important is to learn where to find it, and how to find it. I do UL 508A panels now, and I don't have that or the NEC totally memorized. I do know, quite well, what the correct terminology is for what I am searching for, so I can find a section in the 508A or the NEC manual very quickly on line. Then I still go to the hard printed manual and read it for myself. Use the wrong term, like current for ampacity, and it will take all day to find the correct section. This is what they need to learn these days. Terminology and who has the data you need. Learn that young engineers.

In reply to #46

10/20/2016 3:31 PM

"Yep - a slide rule. Still have mine, but couldn't use it anymore."

Now I feel like some bizarre mutant. back in college, I found this program that made different styles of graph paper, and when testing its accuracy with log paper, tearing off the top, and setting it against the bottom to see if the lines showed the right ratios when the grids were offset, I had the sudden insight and understood how slide rules worked, and I never forgot it.

Is it really that unusual for someone to 'accidentally' train himself on a tool he's never actually touched by looking at a crude mock-up of it?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #47

10/20/2016 3:56 PM

Yes - that was sheer brilliant insight on your part. I never did that, but I certainly trained myself on a bizarre collection of instruments as a wireline engineer without any formal or informal training. My last base was the companies original base, and every one off tool and obsolete tool the company ever had was here, and still in use. You NEVER told the base manager, who had been there since the company was founded, that you couldn't run one of these, or you ended up getting the worst job on the schedule and was sure to be stuck into a rotating loop of wireline logging jobs, where several shallow hole rigs, in close vicinity to the others, drilled in a well at a rate of one per day. You were here until one broke down, days in the future. Just smile and say "yes - I can run it" then take it to the well and learn how it worked on the customer's time. Worked well most of the time. Have to say, that learning how to arm an 8" casing cutter (class A explosive) on my own in the field was a bit hairy.

Another point for you young engineers this post is supposed to be about, not us old timers - know nothing about the job - so what? You are an engineer - you can think and reason - give it a go and just do it.

In reply to #47

10/20/2016 3:57 PM

Actually that is pretty good. It would be a good assignment in a maths class somewhere. Stranger things could happen after the HEMP event strikes us after Iran decides to use their new toys that Oboober gave them.

Post #58 offers real insight for new engineers entering the work force - - nevermind what they didn't teach you. You are now teachable yourself. Go out there and do something, even if it is a little bit wrong the first time.

In reply to #47

10/20/2016 4:08 PM

Me too!¡

I don't have much contact with newbies in the field, but when I do, I always find mine and ask them if they know what it is!

In reply to #25

10/20/2016 10:40 AM

Could it be (heaven forbid, but true) that Universities have totally lost touch with reality? Sometimes I think so. Not every institution of higher learning needs to be intimately involved in basic research. I prefer we should put more funding into agricultural and mechanical universities and also keep a handful around where education is the specialty, and another for medical/veterinary science. Maybe one or two for electrical engineering, and a couple for electronics/photonics.

I am sure some of you will really hammer on me for this post.

In reply to #35

10/20/2016 10:51 AM

In the UK, it used to be that university students were sponsored by industry with the companies able to offset the cost against their tax bill. In that way, the subjects studied related to the needs of industry. That scheme was scrapped so that students now pick a course & hope that it fits with the job market which is a few years away.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 411
In reply to #36

10/20/2016 10:59 AM

that looks like an investment strategy.

In the states, we have tax incentives also for businesses training their employee's. but there are a few company's smaller ones, that resist that because they are afraid that after trained, the employee would leave.

Richard Branson said it best...."Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to "

In reply to #37

10/20/2016 11:12 AM

The employee leaving was always a risk. In my current employ we take on graduates working towards their PhDs. The usually work with us for 2 years whilst being paid by the university & have a project which can be written up as their doctoral thesis. Most of those students stayed with the company for a while, some for a long while. They benefit by having a real world thesis & we benefit from their research.

United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

In reply to #36

10/20/2016 11:07 AM

Why was this scheme abandoned?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 22

10/19/2016 3:51 PM

From what I have seen, most degrees give an insight to a small section of what may be out there. Anyone thinking that their future work will be in all, or any, of the subjects they have studied is restricting the possibilities of what they may achieve.

As one employer explained: a degree only shows that the candidate is capable of concentrating on one subject for a period of a few months. It would not matter which degree, as long as the candidate was willing to continue learning. Sadly, few are.

Good Answers: 8

10/20/2016 2:29 AM

Is it possible that India has a glut of engineers?

In reply to #28

10/20/2016 3:13 AM

They have some great ones, but perhaps a shortage of them.

A glut of dubious engineers is quite possible, though. Credentialism is a likely culprit in that regard.

In reply to #28

10/20/2016 3:15 AM

India has a glut of engineers, Indian engineers have played important role in developing world's best infrastructures, software, designs. I feel bad for the low quality education that made engineers lower skilled. Otherwise we had world's best engineers:

Best Engineers from India

In reply to #30

10/20/2016 1:39 PM

Interesting article. I didn't realize that India celebrates Engineers' Day. Very cool.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 55 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (7); Anonymous Poster (2); BestInShow (3); brich (1); Casper71 (2); Garimak (3); GM1964 (2); IdeaSmith (2); jack of all trades (1); James Stewart (4); Kevin LaPaire (7); kvsubramanyam (1); Nigh (4); phoenix911 (2); Phys (7); tcmtech (1); Thomas Wiklanski (1); Tom_Consulting (1); Tornado (3); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Bar Codes To Help Meomory   Next in Forum: Magic Number

Advertisement