Close
Close
Close
Page 1 of 2: « First 1 2 Next > Last »
Guru

Good Answers: 243

So what's the story behind your Avatar?

05/22/2008 12:25 PM

So what is the story behind your avatar, anyway?

Here's mine.

Its a little girl playing in a fountain. I have no idea who she is.

Look at her face. She's filled with the joy of the moment.

She doesn't know how the fountain's pumps work, or how the rebar supports the structure. She doesn't know what the shafts or flanges for the pumping and piping underneath are rated for, and if they passed the test. She doesn't know that I and my crew tested the mechanical properties and or proof tested the piping.

She doesn't know that the steel used in the electricity generating plant, high voltage poles, structural bolts and balance of plant have test reports with my name on them.

She doesn't know that parts made from my products are on that airplane high overhead.

She doesn't know that the bolts that held her car seat secure or the engine into the vehicle that drove her to the park today are properly heat treated. Or that I signed off on the macroetch, inclusion content, tensile results or the like on the steel used to make them, as well as the springs, half shafts, injector bodies, weld studs, fasteners or a host of other parts like air bag detonators.

She doesn't know how those fittings that get machined and crimped that make up her daddy's car's brake or power steering system are fabricated. And that I was part of the decision to optimize the chemistry so that they would machine economically but still crimp successfully without cracking.

She doesn't know that I and my crew confirmed the melt chemistry of the products that hold stuff at high temperatures and pressures where her daddy works. Or that I approved the application of the material for that overhead crane and its hoist and rigging that he has to use from time to time.

She is just happy to know that daddy came home from work today and took her to the park, where she can do what's important to her, lay down in the fountain, and smile.

In her world, there is just the joy of the moment.

Because, as an engineering professional, I did my job.

I did it Right.

I did it for me.

I did it for her.

And I did it for 6.6 billion of her closest friends, who all want pretty much the same things, regardless of where they live.

This is for me what Florman describes as "the existential joy of engineering."

http://www.amazon.com/Existential-Pleasures-Engineering-Samuel-Florman/dp/0312275463

In the first place, do no harm. That's the story behind my avatar. I won't be changing it anytime soon. It continues to inspire me.

Whats the story behind yours?

milo

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 663

Re: So what's the story behind your Avatar?

05/22/2008 12:40 PM

I thaught your avatar was a Sea Otter with a pink T shirt on.

Read my profile to find out more than enough about Del the Cat ..The actual avatar I'm reliably informed is 'a classic' it's a carefully cropped shot of...well me really...enigmatic, charismatic oh I'm embarassing myself now

Del

Good Answers: 87
In reply to #1

05/22/2008 3:36 PM

Del,

As a goalie didn't licking the balls result in getting mud and grass in your teeth?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 165

05/22/2008 3:12 PM

The irony of this paradoxical thing we call Life!

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

05/22/2008 3:12 PM

Well the tank. Not mine personally, I just hired the Centurion tank out for the morning for a drive around a forest from a business called "Tanks for the memories". Lots of fun. Turned up in the morning and who should I run into but an Australian tourist who drove Centurians in the war (and has his own one back on the farm in Aus). It really is a small world.

05/22/2008 3:40 PM

I play guitar, and I was looking for a avatar that reflected that... I found this at a web page for an art gallery and I liked it so I use it...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

05/22/2008 8:39 PM

And here I am for real (during a sound check), on the far left playing the blue strat. That is my son (black shirt) playing bass in the middle. A very talented musician, who I really like to sit in with...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

05/22/2008 9:42 PM

NICE!!

could you use a drummer?

milo

In reply to #14

05/22/2008 9:47 PM

Actually the drummer is on the right, but unfortunately cut out of the picture..

Register to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Interested in everything- see my Profile please APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Hobbies - Musician - Autoharp and Harmonica Hobbies - Hunting - Member Hobbies - Fishing - Member

Location: Christchurch, (The Garden City), South Island, New Zealand
Good Answers: 229
In reply to #15

05/22/2008 10:31 PM

Hello Steve S.

I've just gone out the back, and brought in the drummer.

Kind Regards....

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 8

05/22/2008 3:40 PM

Chief of Bangkok police had implemented as experiment a very original approach to cope with corruption problem in police stations' staff. He ordered to officers who had been noted in corruption misconducts to wear handbands where was placed Kitty's picture (Japan originated cartoon hero which is so popular over SE Asia). Pleaded guilty officer should wear this Kitty handband being on his duty during some 10-14 days depend upon grade of his misconduct. It was presumed that at the punishment time everyone could look at this sign of disgrace, pointing and mocking on it getting invoked feels of shame.

Isn't it a funny?! Just figure out. Patrol officer on duty at his uniform, big gun and bunch of handcuffs on his belt and this pussycat muzzle over his shoulder! LOL! And this representative of city power is questioned passing by small girl (just like as on Milo's avatar): "Dear uncle officer! Why do you wear this handband with Kitty that I used to watch on TV before I go to bed? My parents said me that you had done something bad. Have you forgotten clean your teeth?" My supposition is that this poor man at the time would keenly prefer be longterm sentenced in prison instead to stay with confused face before this innocent child.

I caught myself on simply thought that such approach can be very creative, effective and just engineering, socio-engineering if you wish. So I've downloaded this picture from BBC news site some two years ago.

When I created my CR4 profile this pic had been waiting on my desktop. I thought, why not. So now it's my avatar as symbol of non-standard thinking and creativity. Unfortunately I didn't note nowhere the continuation of this story then.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

05/22/2008 3:58 PM

Oh ....and I thaught you were really kitty .. I am heartbroken

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #9

05/22/2008 4:23 PM

Do not be silly Del! Here is not a bit to be heartbroken as being born in 1963 I am a cat/rabbit according to Asian/Chinese calendar. We should keep ours noses and tiles up! ...Hope not only tiles.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #10

05/22/2008 5:00 PM

In reply to #6

09/03/2008 2:19 PM

I've decided to replace my old avator on my own. Therefore my old avatar's story have to be disregarded.

I could find nothing new either and I placed my photo when I'd been meeting New 2006 Year with my former colleagues. I was really happy at this time.

Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - Toronto, Ontario (South Parkdale On The Lakeshore) Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - Great Lakes School Of Marine Technology (Owen Sound and Port Colbourne) Technical Fields - Architecture - Private Practice 1976-1990 Technical Fields - Education - Toronto Teachers' College 1971 Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - Founding Member Hobbies - Hunting - Founding Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - Founding Member

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #122

09/04/2008 11:43 PM

Hi, caramba!

You look really good in that photo.

I don't think you have to replace this one for a long time.

If I looked that good, I would probably put my photo into my avatar too.

Mark

Guru

In reply to #123

09/05/2008 8:54 AM

Hi, MarkTheHandyman,

Thank you so much for your comment. It supports me, as never I thought of myself as looking good in any photo. Also I hate my weirdy sounding voice whenever it recorded. It's known psychological effect so I am sure you have stunning good photo at your collection that deserved to be placed as your avatar here. But it's up to you.

As for me I could be tell you one more reason why. I so seek of all these precautions for hiding identity. Maybe it will create problems for me for the further time. I don't know.

Nevertheless, of course, I respect everyone's right to hide any personal data.

Every good luck to you and your lovely ones.

caramba, vladimir

Guru
Canada - Member - Toronto, Ontario (South Parkdale On The Lakeshore) Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - Great Lakes School Of Marine Technology (Owen Sound and Port Colbourne) Technical Fields - Architecture - Private Practice 1976-1990 Technical Fields - Education - Toronto Teachers' College 1971 Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - Founding Member Hobbies - Hunting - Founding Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - Founding Member

In reply to #124

09/05/2008 12:39 PM

Hi, caramba!

The more you hear your voice being recorded, the more you become accustomed to the sound of it. After a while, it begins to not sound so weird.

Mark

Guru

In reply to #125

09/05/2008 2:07 PM

If only that were true!

Now I'm beginning to hear my fathers 'characteristics' in my voice too.

milo

In reply to #126

09/06/2008 1:53 AM

Hi, Milo!

Happens. My father, my younger brother and myself were mostly indistinguishable from one another over the 'phone, even to my mom. Strangely enough, we all sounded completely different from one another to my ear.

But I think what caramba said is true; and for me at least, being a broadcaster changed all that. The more I heard my own voice being recorded, the more I became familiar and more objective with the sound. It stopped bothering me, and I even began to appreciate it.

Mark

Guru
Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Who am I?

Good Answers: 51
In reply to #130

09/06/2008 4:08 AM

My brothers and I all have deep voices. Mine, in particular, was already very deep sounding even as a 10 year old.

I managed to scare one of elder my sister's suitors when I answered the phone once. He thought he was speaking to my dad. He was so respectful and kept saying, "sir" or "yes sir". Everyone's comment that I had a very big, deep voice was something that I took negatively (for what reason, I can't remember). Since then, I tended to speak softly.

When I joined Toastmasters five years ago, I tried speaking louder and discovered that people actually liked the quality of my voice. Decades of speaking softly makes it a habit that's difficult to overcome but the knowledge that I have a good speaking voice has boosted my confidence immensely.

In reply to #133

09/06/2008 4:18 AM

I can only guess. Is your voice like a roaring volcano ? It's cool!

Guru
Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Who am I?

In reply to #135

09/06/2008 10:58 PM

Is your voice like a roaring volcano

Not quite! One of my evaluations described it as a "bedroom voice" which I humorously interpreted as the voice of "someone who just woke up".

A music teacher friend of mine says I have a baritone voice (which is half-way between a tenor and a bass) but on the low side. She asked me to sing in our church with two hours of training and I performed reasonably well (even if I do say so myself ).

Good Answers: 73
In reply to #138

09/06/2008 11:21 PM

Singing is a lot of fun. Keep it up, Vulcan!

In reply to #138

09/06/2008 11:46 PM

Singing is useful for health and for being in good mood always. I do agree, go on and enjoy.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 93
In reply to #126

09/08/2008 4:30 AM

I know that feeling, the 1st time I recorded an answer-phone message I can remember playing it back & thinking that's my fathers voice. I had never considered that we sounded the same before then.

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 22

05/22/2008 3:41 PM

Someone did an avatar thread a few months ago:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/15708/Let-s-talk-Avatars-What-does-your-Avatar-say-about-you

In post #52, I described several avatars I have used. I guess it's time for an update.

This a modification of the preceding avatar. I added the four diagonal arms and changed the color to blue because blue is my favorite.

This is the result of me fooling around at an attempt to create a maze. I started with a set of concentric circles and radial lines. I then trimmed the lines and circles, and added a solid hatch to complete the pattern.

This one I did not create as an avatar for CR4,but decided that I should put up some avatars that reflect my screen name. I created it for this thread on Stormtrack. But I was never really satisfied with it so I sculpted the sides a bit to make it more realistic:

This is one I did for CR4, but not as an avatar, but as an illustration of the practical application of a Challenge Question I submitted and was used here. Scroll down to post #75 for a description of how I created it.

This is a shaft I did in Inventor to keep my skills fresh.

This is another image I created for the Tangent Circles thread, post #119.

I guess that as long as I have or I can create images that will make suitable avatars, I'll change from time to time. Beyond what I said in the other avatar thread, I don't know what it all means.

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #7

05/23/2008 12:45 PM

Hello 3Doug,

your drawing skills are impressive. Have you done designed any company emblems?

jfmfit

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #52

05/24/2008 12:14 AM

Thanks, jfmfit.

No, the only company logo or emblem I've designed is the one shown in the other thread for a outfit that I might someday start.

But if you know any company that would like me to take a shot at theirs, send me their contact info in a PM.

In reply to #70

05/24/2008 4:38 PM

Hello 3Doug,

that sounds intriguing. You certainly have a knack for sure! Good luck in all your endeavers............I cannot draw for toffee but though I have not really mastered it yet I would like to learn the skills to use Paint or perhaps other more versatile software to try similar things to you. I am interested in designing ceramic tiles with gemetric patterns.

I like to mess around with geometry but, at present have know knowledge of how to use and software to design. It frustrates me I can often learn something only to find I have forgotten how to continue from where I last left off. A short term memory which does not always work properly is the cause I know, but, non the less still frustrating!

Thank you for your reply...........

Take care..............

jfmfit

Power-User

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #7

05/26/2008 10:26 AM

You might be interseted to see a full size version of your avatar . . . at Heathrow Terminal 3. Its called the Glitterball.

http://www.lightarch.com/news.htm

http://www.freestate.co.uk/ (go to the virgin atlantic bit)

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 65

05/22/2008 3:48 PM

Mine is my French Bulldog, The Gollum.

Since you asked, here's a video of him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLhf0CTVnHU

edit - oh wait, I guess I don't use that avatar on this site.

Well, enjoy the movie anyway.

2nd edit - avatar in place!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

05/22/2008 11:00 PM

Awwww, that is so cute!

I've often wondered, do people walk their dogs, or is it the other way around?

In reply to #17

05/23/2008 11:20 AM

My dog doesn't just walk me - he also schedules all my appointments.

Guru
New Zealand - Member - Interested in everything- see my Profile please APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Hobbies - Musician - Autoharp and Harmonica Hobbies - Hunting - Member Hobbies - Fishing - Member

05/22/2008 8:33 PM

Mine refers to Sparks being emitted as information from a transmitter station.

I was also in my earlier years a fan of Sun and their Sparcstations.

It does sometimes take considerable effort to make a relevant Avatar, and mine now goes back more than 20 years.

For those who want to know what PlbMak's avatar really means, after very exhaustive research, refer: http://cr4.globalspec.com/comment/161499

Kind Regards....

05/22/2008 11:04 PM

There is absolutely nothing behind my avatar. It is just a pretty picture. Prior to jointing CR4, I didn't even know the meaning of the word "avatar".

But, now that I do, and having read your very moving account of how you came by your avatar, I am going to remove mine. If the picture of a sailing ship on an azure sea is still on your screen, then my deletion failed.

Perhaps one day, I will find an avatar which truly reflects my character. Perhaps, but I doubt it.

In reply to #18

05/22/2008 11:10 PM

Hello ba/ael

Here's the close-up version, just for you.

kind Regards....

In reply to #20

05/23/2008 7:57 AM

Nice avatar, though to my opinion it would be nicer if boat went from left to right. Just to Right direction! And such direction is symbol of progress. It's up to you.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #20

05/23/2008 12:25 PM

Hello Sparkstation,

just to say I love your sailing boat.

I always wished I could get one but got a motor boat instead because of lack of funds at the time. For a second long drawing it looks really nice.

jfmfit

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

05/23/2008 12:38 PM

Hi Sparkstation,

I wish I could see it, but ever since I started fiddling around with my avatar, all avatars and other pictures have vanished from all CR4 threads. All I see in your message is text.

In reply to #50

CR4 Format vanishes - along with pictures

05/23/2008 6:50 PM

Hello ba/ael

Perhaps you have the same problem as I got a couple of months ago.

Even when constantly logged in to CR4, and also another Forum un-associated with CR4, I discovered that the Forum Formatting (Forum Layout) is different, and the pictures vanish after a time - a period which varies.

I use Firefox v2.0.0.14 as a Browser, and I have discovered that if I go in Firefox to Tools > clear Private Data > and clear ALL EXCEPT Saved Passwords, then Refresh Firefox Browser, that the Forum Formatting comes back to normal, including pictures etc, all in the correct place, of course I then have to re-Log-in to CR4, and any other Forum/s I was on before using the "Clear Private Data" tool.

This "....go in Firefox to Tools > clear Private Data > and clear ALL EXCEPT Saved Passwords, then Refresh Firefox Browser.......then have to re-Log-in to CR4, and any other Forum/s I was on before using the 'Clear Private Data' tool", has to be repeated at regular intervals.

I am presently unsure why this happens, it may be related to Security Software I use here, my Software Firewall (ZoneAlarmPro)or Firefox Browser, or some CR4 Software update, or a combination of some or all of those potential causes.

Have a try at that, it may well work OK for you.

Kind Regards....

In reply to #67

Re: CR4 Format vanishes - along with pictures

05/24/2008 12:14 AM

Hello Sparkstation,

I followed the first three steps of your suggestion, but "Refresh Firefox Browser" was not an option as the dialogue box simply disappeared after clicking on "Clear All Private Data".

When I use Internet Explorer, everybody's avatars and all the included photographs come back but when I return to Firefox, they disappear so it seems to be a problem between AVG8.0 and Firefox.

I went from AVG7.5 to AVG8.0 and this appears to be causing the problem. It is also slowing the computer down substantially. But, I guess that is the price one must pay for protection against various types of computer infection. Pain in the posterior!

Best regards

In reply to #69

Re: CR4 Format vanishes - along with pictures

05/24/2008 12:29 AM

Hello again, ba/ael

There is a Speed setting in AVG Free v8.0.

For less CPU usage, move from Automatic to the left (Slow), to the right from Automatic gives "Fast".

See the red arrow at bottom left in below pic.

Kind Regards....

05/22/2008 11:09 PM

Hello Milo and, all the other members whose Avatars I look at and wonder how clever some are and how pretty other are, like your Milo. It looks like she is floating.

My Avatar is pretty simple. I am not about to mention it hear for all, but it is linked to my Surname. Simple as that.

jfmfit

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: South-east corner of Spain 50 48 49.24N 2 28 27.70W
Good Answers: 31
In reply to #19

05/23/2008 10:09 AM

Little tit bit for you! Did you know that an ostriches eye is bigger than its brain?

In reply to #39

05/23/2008 12:40 PM

Hello Mr Truman Brain,

It's eye is bigger than it's brain? That is intriguing. Is a pinch of salt needed here?

Certainly explains why I have always thought 2 + 2 is 5?..............

jfmfit

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #51

05/23/2008 12:55 PM

Only for very large values of 2.

-A-

United Kingdom - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #51

05/23/2008 1:01 PM

Only if you intend to cook the bird! Probably need more than just a pinch!

In reply to #55

05/24/2008 4:45 PM

Hello Mr Truman Brain,

yes, for sure more than a pinch! Finding an oven could be a problem also? But, would it not be a wondrous spectacle walking to the Xmas table with that?

jfmfit

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #80

05/25/2008 6:22 AM

As long as you also had a table big enough!

Good Answers: 7
In reply to #81

05/25/2008 9:15 AM

Never trust anything with a brain smaller than it's eye. It was told to me by a South African ostrich breeder who we vivited while we were there. He said they can be quite viscious if they put their eyes to it

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #82

05/25/2008 12:18 PM

Hello case491,

hope you are fine, Just to say I am surprised you feel you can 'insult' my family. I can't help it I have a brain the size of an eye! .

Can I email you my name? I do not want to publish it on-line. You will see the ref' to my family then.

jfmfit

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #83

05/26/2008 12:14 PM

Do not mind as better to have clever eyes of ostrich (just like as at your avatar) than stupid brains of man.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #82

05/25/2008 1:09 PM

Yeah, they can be vicious. You have to watch out for those teeth. They like to bite.

In reply to #88

05/25/2008 1:53 PM

Hello ba/ael,

that's my long lost uncle!

jfmfit

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #88

05/25/2008 1:55 PM

Cleaver bit of 'morphing!

jfmfit

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #88

05/25/2008 3:51 PM

Nice photoshop work.

milo

In reply to #88

05/26/2008 1:24 PM

Hello ba/ael:,

sorry, I could not think of the correct term there. Its not morphing I know but still can't think of it! Derrrrrrrr John..........

jfmfit

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #88

12/12/2008 11:50 AM

It would have been nice to credit the artist who created this ostrich picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dappers/131549933/

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #82

09/08/2008 7:34 AM

Hey, welcome back - long time no hear from you! I see you've lost your own avatar?

In reply to #142

09/08/2008 12:22 PM

Hi EM,

Sorry to disappoint you EnviroMan, but this is a pretty old thread. Look at the date on Case491's post. Too bad he left as he contributed a lot to this forum.

United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #143

09/08/2008 12:34 PM

D'oh! Yes, I corresponded with him outside of CR4 and really enjoyed his insights.

In reply to #81

05/25/2008 12:23 PM

Hello Mr Truman Brain,

as I said to Case491,

I am surprised you feel free to insult my family. And, I can't help it if my brain is the size of an eye! I do not want to publish it on-line but is it ok to email you my name, and all will be obvious?

jfmfit

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #84

05/26/2008 10:34 AM

No insult intended! If you feel I have insulted you by saying the eye of an osterich is bigger than it's brain, then I apologise but it is a fact and I can't change that! I do like the idea of the 'Russian Doll' bird on the table!

United Kingdom - Member - Olde Member!! Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 45
In reply to #100

05/26/2008 10:51 AM

I like the idea....... but only if its plucked well beforehand!!

In reply to #101

05/26/2008 11:24 AM

Beats an apple pie!!!!

In reply to #102

05/26/2008 1:35 PM

Hello Mr Truman Brain,

yes, better than an apple pie. You could always keep the apple pie for desert?.

We in the UK have (it seems) half the programmes on TV which are cookery related. One recently did their version of the 'Russian doll' type bird and, went up to a duck or turkey size. De-boning all birds before cooking made it easy to carve. As I may have mentioned it took an awful long time to cook. I think it was put on a very low temperature the previous night, to be ready for a 'do' the following afternoon.

Take care..........

jfmfit

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #81

05/25/2008 12:41 PM

Hello Mr Truman Brain,

yes a table big and strong enough. And a pretty large kitchen!

Have you heard of the practise of cooking for big 'DO's, of starting with a lark or something small inside a pheasant, inside a chicken, and up through duck, goose...........................and once or twice it was supposed to have gone right up to the size of the Ostrich as the outer layer. It took maybe a couple of days to cook!

jfmfit?

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #81

05/25/2008 12:58 PM
Hello Mr Truman Brain,

cooking by starting with a small bird and putting it inside the next sized up to sometimes an Ostrich was called the 'Russian Doll' as far as can understand.

http://ask.metafilter.com/23758/Strange-birds

jfmfit

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Location: East of Seattle, Washington state Republic of the 50 states of America
Good Answers: 36
In reply to #80

05/25/2008 6:48 PM

Don't have any idea how he did it, but my uncle Allen raised 2 turkeys that dressed out at 58 lbs and 52 lbs.

Sorry about the phone camera shots, but that is half of the smaller of the two birds. For reference the guy carving is my cousin (from another uncle) and over 200 lbs and 6ft (6'2"?). That is a standard turkey platter to his left.

2 bits from

Brad

Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Location: East of Seattle, Washington state Republic of the 50 states of America
Good Answers: 36

05/23/2008 12:47 AM

Led Head ( Led Zeppelin nut)

A system before it's time that could now be used but is not for many reasons.

Brad

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

In reply to #21

05/23/2008 10:16 AM

So, do you know who's drummer came up with the name for the band?

If you know that one, you should be able to tell me if the fish story is true.

I'm kinda hoping it isn't.

-A-

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Genetics - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member

Location: The Nevernever as much as possible, Earth when I have no choice.
Good Answers: 11

05/23/2008 1:17 AM

Avatar? What Avatar? I thought CR4 wanted an actual picture of the poster!

Dragon

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Member

Location: Honeydew, South Africa, 26° 04' 50" Lat, 27° 54' 59" Long

05/23/2008 2:18 AM

Must compliment you with your thinking Milo. The picture didn't mean anything until now. Excellent.

05/23/2008 3:12 AM

Mine is self explanatory. Yes, that is me. My hobby is breaking things.

In reply to #24

05/23/2008 9:52 AM

Like hamstrings?

05/23/2008 3:54 AM

thought it was a wood duck.

Register to Reply
Guru
Spain - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 25

05/23/2008 4:19 AM

Well, I'm a bit lazy and when joined CR4 just looked at available avatars. This infinity like picture reminds me that even I know we'll never reach it, we should continue our way to it. Stop thinking is a symptom of brain death!!!!

In reply to #26

05/24/2008 10:52 AM

I noticed others on CR4 had picture logos that quickly identified them. Vermin's, Del the Cat, Chtank, Avatar's told me something about how they placed themselves in the world they saw and experienced.

My two main questions from my youth have been how to prevent apocalyptic war, and how to see people from outerspace.

When I looked at the clipart avatar file of CR4, I picked the Atomic Bomb since it is something to think about. A good many of the forum probably could make one.

Kwetzs Avatar is closer actually to this vision I talk about Transcend O Ray, which is the root for Transcendian, or Transcendia. Interesting that Kwetz mentions Artificial Intellegence as I have somehow been dragged into wondering if you made and artificial brain, caused it somehow to be bored and blissful, as a tabla rosa (unprogramed), would it produce the same vision?

I got to the point in Jorries Dark Matter Thread were I don't know exactly right now if it is accepted that the reason I haven't marked my comments as off topic, is because it seems to be as easy to title the discussion as "unknowns".

The knowns and the unknowns are in conflict with the overlooked and forgotten.

Global Spec and CR4 participants are making some great energy tools, or tools in general and the more I know gleaned from the site and the discussions, the more I believe Nuclear Power possible to elimanate. The Sun is about as close as we need to be to the explosions.

To get rid of Nuclear Bombs you really do need to get rid of Nuclear Power Plants.

The fresnel mirror solar systems really do seem to offer Grid Power replacement of the Nuclear Power Plant.

Anyway I picked from the clipart the Atom Bomb picture for the color of the internal fireball that reflects some of my passion.

I'll see if I can somehow replicate and do justice visually my vision as an eventual change of avatar with the expectation it would make me nicer.

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

05/23/2008 5:48 AM

Mine's a picture of a firework display. I've been involved in my spare time in staging public displays for almost 20 years & the group I'm with now do about a dozen each year, mainly for local schools & organisations. This allows us to finance our big event in October to celebrate Hastings day & raise a bit of money for local charities, we gave over £2000 to the Hastings lifeboats this year.

There's a few videos of the event here but none really convey the full impact.

In reply to #27

05/23/2008 12:51 PM

Hello Nigh,

nice one! They can do with all they can get.

jfmfit

Register to Reply
Guru

05/23/2008 8:37 AM

Back in the 1960's I was watching Star Trek while the other kids were watching cartoons.

Obviously, my favorite character was Mr. Spock the Vulcan science officer/second-in-command/solver-of-all-problems (well most of them anyhow).

Usually, my own neck pinch results in pain, mostly mine as the subjects tend to retaliate .

In reply to #29

05/23/2008 8:50 AM

Hello Vulcan! You're really the solver-of-all-instrumentation-problems, so this avatar suit you so.

Hope situation with rice prices will be stabilized for your people.

Have a nice weekend!

caramba.

Register to Reply
Guru

05/23/2008 9:13 AM

Avatar = 264-1. true true. However, I prefer the method I have, as it means something special to me. Using the sigma shows the entire process, not just the final number. I could have chosen 18 446 744 073 709 551 615, but that doesn't say anything about what the number means to me or how I got it.

The sigma notation isn't JUST a number. It's a process. 1+2+4+8+16+32 etc. It stands for the "rice on the chess board" problem. I heard it when I was a kid, and it sparked my interest in math. That equation was one of my first steps on the way to becoming an Engineer. Well, THAT and my tendency to take EVERYTHING apart. I'm sure you know the rest. . .

For those unfamiliar with the story, this is the version I heard:

When I was a kid my dad told me about the inventor of the game of chess. how the guy asked for, as payment for bringing the game to the Emperor, 1 grain of rice on the first square, 2 on the next. . . etc. until the 64th square. After the mathematicians figured it all up, it turns out there wasn't that much rice in all China, so the Emperor beheads the guy rather than reneging on the agreement.

Anyhow, it really blew my mind to a number could get BIG so quickly using a simple formula. It sparked my interest in Math.

-A-

In reply to #31

05/23/2008 11:17 AM

I remember that story. It made me want to kill the guy that invented chess.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 18

05/23/2008 9:42 AM

Mine is a picture of that loveable, woodland, cartoon creature, Pogo, an American 'possum, created by Walt Kelly. One of his famous sayings, while walking through the woods and noticing piles of garbage along the way was, "We have met the enemy, and he is us," which is my "signature."

The reason I chose Pogo is that engineers not only solve problems, they also help to create them (many of which are inadvertent, of course). The same may be said about engineering problems . . . I have always subscribed to the KISS principle (for those of you who don't know, KISS is an acronym for Keep It Simple, Stupid), but I have also run into instances when elaborate schemes were being concocted to solve relatively simple problems (I could write a book).

later . . . Bill

Good Answers: 4

05/23/2008 9:43 AM

My avatar is for me a great passion. I am not good at playing, but it simply states the world´s greatest thinking game: CHESS. As for the story of the rice grains check out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Counted-Malba-Tahan/dp/0862414962/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211549961&sr=8-2

I believe you´ll read about the story you mentioned and the beauty of math.

The other thing concerning chess is that it is a bold confrontation of two minds moving people (pieces), to the right place at the right time. It´s strategy, it´s thinking and it´s passion. Sometimes you move forward, others you move side ways and sometimes even backwards or diagonally.

Infinite possibilieties of solution to one problem: getting to the king.

Sound a little like engineering, fellas?

In reply to #33

05/23/2008 10:06 AM

Thanks, 95324. I'll put that book on my wife's Christmas list.

You know, I knew this guy named 905 once. Maybe you're related. Fellow I knew had his name changed when some idiots made a new jacket for him. You'll never guess what they changed it to. . .

-A-

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

05/23/2008 9:45 AM

Mine is.........................ME!

Simple as that!

Kev B

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Olde Member!! Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

05/23/2008 10:04 AM

Mine is.... errrmmmm...

Well it sort of is the World Wild life fund symbol / mascot / logo...

I'm a nature lover ... not a tree hugger... well maybe but only in my spare time...

John

Canada - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 2

05/23/2008 10:07 AM

I believe that the meaning of my avatar is quite obvious, especially when combined with my user name (sort of like Vulcan), but I thought I would reply anyway. I am a fan of all things Star Trek, although I have only been to one convention. I have a number of posters and other memorabilia (Star Trek the Experience at the Las Vegas Hilton is fantastic!), but my favourite is a door-length poster that states "Everything I need to know in life, I learned from Star Trek" and then proceeds to list the important bits of knowledge that we should all live by. I relate very well with the Vulcans on the show (Spock, Tuvok, T'Pol, T'Pau, etc.), but even moreso to Lieutenant Commander Data, who is my favourite character. I hear that Brent Spiner was also the life of the party off-camera - I would have loved to see him at a convention!

I'm glad this thread was started, because I often look at the avatars and wonder what they mean.

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Biomedical Engineering - Radiation Oncology Engineering Hobbies - Fishing - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member

Good Answers: 1

05/23/2008 10:15 AM

I chose this image of Stanley Kubrik's 2001 Space Odessy for a few reasons. One, I am a fan of Sci Fi in general. I love the idea of space exploration and the positiveness on can gleam from it (I know, it is only my perspestive). I think one of the best things the USA ever did was the Space Program.

I also enjoy the fact that in the story HAL is trying to defeat Dave by locking him out of the space ship. Dave uses ingenuity, and scrapiness to over come the problems at hand. Much like most of us when problems are thrown at us.

Have a nice day all

05/23/2008 10:23 AM

It was either Albert or Max Headroom! And as CR4 only had Albert, I went with him! As for the the name 'Mr. Truman Brain', Its a mixture of the Truman show where Truman starts to realise there is more to his would than meets the eye, and Brain because I would sound silly with a name like 'Mr. Truman Tinkerer'!

Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 114

05/23/2008 10:37 AM

Though I'm mostly a lurker, I can't resist this thread.

My avatar is a picture of a CH-47 Chinook (Hook) helicopter that I crewed in the former Republic of Viet Nam. It was taken sometime in the fall or winter or 1969 in a field of a fire base we were working out of.

Of course my war time experience is a defining part of my life experience but I love Chinook helicopters not only because of that but because they continue to be the backbone of Army Aviation. They have not only been the fastest and most powerful helicopters in the Army fleet but their very longevity is becoming legendary in the genre.

The very Chinook that I was a Flight Engineer on in 1970 is now being served by the current generation of young warriors in Afghanistan. Granted though she has been through numerous rebuilds and upgrades, she and her crew continue to support the ground warrior through today and hopefully for another 20+ years in her projected lifespan. She also served faithfully around the world during peacetime missions, primarily for disaster relief in such places as Honduras, Burma and Pakistan.

May God continue to smile upon this Chinook and her crew.

Dave G. <--- known to his friends as the Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #43

05/23/2008 11:13 AM

I hope they changed the air filter.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #43

05/23/2008 12:32 PM

Hello Hooker,

can I say can congratulations, I would have loved to have had a ride in a CH 47 Chinook. It is an amazing plain, and so strong, it is hardly surprising the same one you were Flight Engineer on is still going.

jfmfit

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Genetics - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member

Location: The Nevernever as much as possible, Earth when I have no choice.
Good Answers: 11
In reply to #43

05/24/2008 12:05 AM

Dear Hooker, From one vet to another, Thank you for your service to our country.

Dragon

05/23/2008 12:32 PM

The first great technological leap forward for mankind was the ability to modify lithic material into useful tools. Being a flintknapper by hobby, I thought that one of my points was an appropriate avatar for this forum.

Bill Morrow

In reply to #49

05/23/2008 1:43 PM

Wow..is that one of yours...brilliant.
I like the fact that a flaked flint arrow head has been shown to have better flesh cutting properties than steel.

Ishi the last of the Yana Indian could flake an arrow head from a piece of bottle glass! (As recounted in 'hunting with the Bow and arrow')

In reply to #59

05/23/2008 3:13 PM

Ishi is the "spiritual father" of modern flintknapping. Known at the time (1911) as "the last wild Indian", his native skills were documented as much as possible by UC Berkeley anthropologists. Without him, virtually none of the Indians' knapping techniques would have been preserved.

Bill Morrow

In reply to #49

11/20/2008 2:20 AM

Hi, bmorrow492!

Man, that's a beautiful point. Was it from cooked or raw flint? All I know about flintknapping I learned from Jean Auel in the 'Earth's Children' series (except for one teacher in middle school who told us about [to me, the potentially eye-hazardous art of] knapping heated flint with water drops).

If you ever want to hold classes in the art, and it's not too far from where I am in Toronto, I'd really like to learn how to knap flint.

Mark

Register to Reply
Register to Reply Page 1 of 2: « First 1 2 Next > Last »
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

-A- (5); 3Doug (3); 95324 (1); agua_doc (1); Anonymous Poster (7); ba/ael (6); bhankiii (4); Bill (1); bmorrow492 (3); caramba (14); case491 (3); Conrads (1); CowAnon (1); Data (1); Del the cat (5); Dragonsfarm (2); Electroman (3); EnviroMan (4); Garthh (1); High Lander (1); Hooker (1); jack of all trades (1); jfmfit (16); Kev_brown (1); Kilowatt0 (1); Kwetz (1); MarkTheHandyman (11); Milo (8); Mr. Truman Brain (7); Nigh (4); omw7 (1); OpMan (1); rcapper (1); rlindey (1); Shadetree (4); Sparkstation (8); StandardsGuy (1); Steve S. (4); Transcendian (2); TVP45 (3); U V (2); Vulcan (3)

Previous in Forum: wire rope   Next in Forum: M55 x 2 Metric thread size

Advertisement