Previous in Forum: Google Earth for Linux   Next in Forum: Measuring LPG Levels
Close
Close
Close
Page 1 of 6: « First 1 2 3 Next > Last »
Active Contributor

Do I Need to be an Engineer to Hang Out Here?

02/22/2009 9:10 PM

I found your incredibly interesting and addictive forum while googling the poisonous qualities of green potatoes.

I am an old tomboy who has always regretted being pushed into studying ONLY music. Given control over my childhood, I would have studied chemistry or mechanical engineering.

Despite the above, I have never lost my two basic mantras of a) always asking "why?" when told something like "this is the way it's always been done," and b) always asking "how does this work?"

That being said, I would not want burden this forum with questions if all of you are engineers, programmers, and/or scientists.

Beyond that, if I were to stumble across someone here who would be interested in the co-development of an invention I've been toying with for some decades, that would be icing on this cake. (And no, it's not something "impossible" or involving any form of fringe or pseudo-science.)

On the other hand, I may be able to contribute a little something now and then, if someone were to have a question relating to classical music, or the study of music. I've also heard that musicians' brains develop to have more activity in both sides of the frontal cortex, with the effect that they tend to become creative problem-solvers. Not that this has ever helped me in real life. Co-workers and bosses in offices tend to get annoyed when someone comes up with a way to do something more quickly and efficiently -- perhaps because high-efficiency is perceived as a danger to job-security among pink-collar workers.

But, I digress. Over the course of my adult life, I've always dated and/or hung out with physicists, engineers, mathematicians, etc., with the result that I've always had access to answers to weird questions (such as how to figure out the minimum dimensions of a cylindrical spacecraft large enough to hold x-number of people).

Now that I'm well past my "sell-by date" vis-a-vis dating, racing cars, and/or going to SF conventions, I find myself without buddies with pick-able brains.

This discussion was "closed" on 02/06/2012 6:06 PM. No new comments are allowed.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User
Australia - Member - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 35

Re: Do I need to be an engineer to hang out here?

02/22/2009 9:19 PM

Giorgia,

Since I am not an engineer...I can happily say "No...I does not matter one Iota!!"

The guys on this forum are Awsome, helpfull and friendly.

Enjoy,

Regards,
Sapper.

Good Answers: 103
In reply to #1

02/22/2009 9:32 PM

Not an engineer ! with 10/154 GAs (are you serious)

Fantastic ideas for a Fantastic World, I make the illogical logical.They put me in cars,they put me in yer tv.They put me in stereos and those little radios you stick in your ears.They even put me in watches, they have teeny gremlins for your watches
Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #4

02/24/2009 3:38 PM

Guru Dev:

What is 10/154 GAs?

Regards;

Nadeem Butt

Good Answers: 32
In reply to #190

02/24/2009 3:53 PM

10 good answers out of only 154 answers.

In reply to #192

02/24/2009 4:33 PM

Thanks.

Whatever happened to the conquer part. I came, I saw and I conqurered.

Nadeem

Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123
In reply to #195

02/24/2009 6:15 PM

vini, vidi, vomit.

I came, I saw, I threw up

Good Answers: 88
In reply to #203

02/24/2009 7:56 PM

I came. I saw. I grokked.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #195

02/24/2009 6:18 PM

Julius Caesar conquered, I took a nap.

02/22/2009 9:29 PM

All are welcome here with "aptitude for engineering" and "able to take good natured barb" - you might have seen that we are never serious except may be xx out of xy times . (Got to calculate x,y,z, as soon as i do will come back)

It has been already taken up into this forum and let me again repeat- you don't have to be an engineer (from college) to be an engineer.

What you need is the aptitude and thrust to learn (not the correct terms- but missing the good phrases learnt when the hair was there and black).

We are here to help any body (and get helped), you might have seen several posts for engineer non-engineers (and more from un-engineer engineers )

But we don't do the homeworks and class-project works

Since you are beyond that stage of life we hopefully able to pool our resources (tighten our belts) and jump.

Once again welcome.

We remember "There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers- and stupid persons who don't" (the last portion from me )

Fantastic ideas for a Fantastic World, I make the illogical logical.They put me in cars,they put me in yer tv.They put me in stereos and those little radios you stick in your ears.They even put me in watches, they have teeny gremlins for your watches
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 87

02/22/2009 9:30 PM

Not to mention that a number of us are both engineers and musicians. (I count myself in that number..)

Never too late to get that mechanical engineer degree! Get after it!! My personal speciality in mechanical engineering is dynamics problems related to vibration and acoustics. So I get to take music theory into oil and gas production. A lovely combination...

At any rate you are welcome regardless, just beware that some of us have an odd sense of humor. Harmless but odd...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

02/22/2009 9:53 PM

"I count myself in that number.."

Nah! Really?!?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

02/23/2009 12:46 AM

Or this

or

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #31

02/23/2009 10:00 AM

Those guys are involved in oil & gas production too? No wonder we're getting gouged at the pump!

Register to Reply
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 129
In reply to #3

02/25/2009 10:14 AM

Once, a while back, a guy told me a story about how Steve S once saved 1000s of people in Papua New Guinea. The story goes like this. Steve S was part of a Red Cross convoy carrying food and medical supplies to Papua New Guinea. The supplies were coming from Australia and the goods from the convoy were to be shipped north. Unfortunately a storm forced the transport ship to harbor, and now the Red Cross had a convoy of trucks with food and supplies that would go bad quickly if something wasn't done.

When word reached the convoy that the ship wouldn't make it in time, Steve S, dove into the Coral Sea and swam to Papua New Guinea. When he got there, he tied a rope around the thickest tree he could find, dove back into the Coral Sea, and started swimming, dragging Papua New Guinea with him. When he was finished, you could drive a truck right onto Papua New Guinea from Australia. The convoy was able to deliver its supplies and end a malaria outbreak. Once the convoy was across, Steve S put Papua New Guinea back where it belonged. Needless to say the people of Papua New Guinea were very grateful. To this day, the word for hope in Hiri Motu is Steevas.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Power-User

In reply to #248

02/25/2009 10:30 AM

Yeah, right.

Nadeem

Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

In reply to #249

02/25/2009 10:47 AM

Oh, so you've heard this story too? Excellent!

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #250

02/25/2009 10:51 AM

Not enough hours in a day, not enough days in a week, not enough weeks in a year. so I did not know about this miracle.

In reply to #250

02/25/2009 11:04 AM

Lordy!! You shoulda warned us this was comin', Mr. Pink!!! I nearly drowned before I found my waders. Ain't talkin' 'bout no water, either.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
The Engineer

In reply to #253

02/25/2009 11:27 AM

You had nothing to worry about as long as Steve S is around. He's 15 feet tall and can hear a mouse's footsteps from two continents away. If you're ever in trouble just call out and he can be anywhere on the planet in 10 seconds on account of his long stride.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Environmental Engineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 101

02/22/2009 9:32 PM

No. Anyone is free to join. Just don't bring up pseudoscientific nonsense such as alien abductions or conspiracy theories to suppress over-unity energy production et al, or you'll soon find yourself taking heavy flak.

In reply to #5

02/22/2009 10:12 PM

"Just don't bring up pseudoscientific nonsense such as alien abductions or conspiracy theories to suppress over-unity energy production et al, or you'll soon find yourself taking heavy flak."

Oh, c'mon Vader. If it weren't for the alien abductions most of us here wouldn't even have a social life.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Car Customizing - Dances with Trees Canada - Member - because I can Hobbies - CNC - too much fun Hobbies - Target Shooting - paper shreader

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #12

02/22/2009 10:19 PM

tried that at area 51 a couple of years back, never saw aliens run away so fast, must have been the garlic I had for dinner

Engineering Fields - Environmental Engineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

In reply to #12

02/22/2009 11:20 PM

Hey, what do I know? Coming from a galaxy far, far away from Earth, I'm always surrounded by aliens such as that moron Jar Jar Binks anyway. For that matter, technically, I may be human, but I'm not an Earthling, so I guess I qualify as an alien too.

In reply to #27

02/23/2009 1:44 AM

How come you guys always have to come from someplace called Far Far Away? Like, aren't really funky alien life forms possible within, say, five light-years of Earth? Why's it always gotta be so frickin' far? What happened? Did Local Color suddenly fall out of fashion and now everyone's gotta come from some frickin' galaxy halfway across the Universe? Even worse, some of you heavy breathers not only come from Far Far Away, but from Long Ago! And what is that? Some kind of interstellar Sailor-Wanna-Hump-Hump bar or something? Oh, please! Say you're from Mars!! That Long Ago and Far Far Away crap is just so..so...yesterday!

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru

In reply to #39

02/23/2009 4:39 AM

I am here , now

hey spock where are you ?

And are from the 2nd rock from sun (or it is liquid and gas) - and that is why .

Guru

In reply to #48

02/23/2009 10:18 AM

bs sb signs: "They put me in cars, they put me in yer tv. They put me in stereos and those little radios you stick in your ears. They even put me in watches, they have teeny gremlins for your watches."

Okay, so you provide a little Local Color, but Where -- and Who -- are They? Take your time, please. This should be really interesting!

Guru

In reply to #61

02/23/2009 12:30 PM

Were you ever kid ? I don't think so (Any way you will be in future)

Unlike living creatures - radioactive elements like Eu- gets smaller as it ages - and thus unages with aging . So may be in acouple of million years you may get it.

Whenever I do something - they (children) say - I have not done it he has done it (that he also is a similar/dissimilar earthling)

Now as he ages - the level of violence increases - simply because the toys become larger so my small tinkering has a more violent effect.

Let me give an example- in a toy car i just modify the remote connection and the dad/mom breaks his/her leg. The child says innocently with remote in his hand - not me, sis did it.

When you are teen, and I do the same thing with your car accelerator- now you go to court with manslaughter charges (which unfortunately your/ rather the earlier earthlings dad didn't bring) and what you say ?

I didn't do it they did it (that they may be the mechanics, pedestrians whom you have slaughtered or any other)

And now you are further grown and you bringdown the 747 into hudson river - now the they can be mechanics/ATC/birds/sometimes a lion on the run-way ask craigza and anything.

So as the earthlings grow, so does the size of they.

In brief the they means anybody other than the accused.

Now do I get some OT points for the scientific explanation ?

Commentator

In reply to #79

02/27/2009 9:21 AM

Possibly the most incoherent thing I've ever read.

Hobbies - Car Customizing - Dances with Trees Canada - Member - because I can Hobbies - CNC - too much fun Hobbies - Target Shooting - paper shreader

In reply to #334

02/27/2009 10:00 AM

Ah you just have to read more posts by sb, eventually they get easy to read and you actually understand what he is saying, scary thought that.

In reply to #337

02/27/2009 10:24 AM

Indeed! sb's posts are an acquired taste to be sure, but enjoyable nonetheless. Still, sb might do a few things to facilitate communications with us lesser mortals:

1) Write his posts exclusively in Latin, or,

2) Force the Admins to issue Universal Translators to everyone. This shouldn't be too hard as he could hold the Admins' keyboards hostage until they comply (not necessary on Vista-encumbered systems, as they are self-mutilating. Ain't that right sb? How much did M$ pay you for that feature, anyway?).

Guru

In reply to #339

02/27/2009 10:45 AM

I use a Babel Fish

In reply to #342

02/27/2009 10:59 AM

LOL! High Five!

Guru

In reply to #344

02/27/2009 11:03 AM

Your welcome , glad to add a giggle

In reply to #339

02/27/2009 2:15 PM

Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake

Mistake my webbed toes. I did it to her gun. She wanted to stop her as she put the muzzle in her mouth and pressed trigger.

Now who are She, her, She, her .

Guru

In reply to #334

02/27/2009 1:58 PM

I am glad you found it so. One has to try.

and more surprising you have read it (the person meant for didn't since he never responded )

Guru

In reply to #39

02/23/2009 10:46 PM

Dunno. Whatever happened to the Martians and Venusians of your solar system?

In reply to #104

02/23/2009 10:53 PM

The Borg pinched 'em. All we have left now to keep us company is some asthmatic guy who bills himself as Dark Helmet DVader and a gremlin with feelings.

Bog Almighty! What is this #$%#$# Universe coming to?

Guru

In reply to #108

02/23/2009 10:59 PM

Isn't there a Vulcan here as well?

In reply to #110

02/23/2009 11:12 PM

Here? Where do you think you are, the Philippines?

Guru

In reply to #113

02/24/2009 1:14 AM

It was elementary my dear Watson Europium.

I think they used to hang put you in the screens. Now with the LCDs you must be out of job.

Gremlins got to have feelings we are not that bad.

In the darkness of the machines without the help of the power with us how do you thing we repair your precision machines and circuits ? it is only by feelings. And people blame us. Coudn't you put some lights inside them ? then we don't have to short the wires and get the spark .

Well we have to do our job

Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 22
In reply to #130

02/24/2009 12:50 PM

Coudn't you put some lights inside them ? then we don't have to short the wires and get the spark .

Now, it wouldn't do any good to put lights inside electronic devices. Everyone knows that electronics actually work on smoke. Ever notice that something electronic stops working when you let the smoke out of it? Isn't that your job, to let the smoke out of electronics?

United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #130

02/27/2009 10:12 AM

Gremlins....? Hell, all this time I thought it was the magic smoke inside the components.

Guru

In reply to #338

02/27/2009 2:06 PM

people don't believe in us

then they can go with the hammer on their computers and never blame the poor .

It is always like this - we try and you succeed (in destroying your machines).

never mind. We are not like your boss I will permit you to take the credit. All the credits.

Guru

In reply to #113

02/24/2009 2:38 AM

I've no fixed location, actually. As I've stated, my present location is wherever I'm assigned.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Netherlands - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

Good Answers: 38
In reply to #110

02/23/2009 11:16 PM

Yes, my Dark lord of the sh..sith, your reply confuses me.

Vulcan where? in star trek?, in Japan?, in a F15 strike eagle?

In reply to #114

02/24/2009 2:54 AM

From the planet Vulcan.

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #39

03/01/2009 6:55 AM

3 1/2 OK ?

In reply to #5

02/22/2009 11:01 PM

Hey, we only abduct the ones who really deserve it.

In reply to #21

02/22/2009 11:03 PM

I am going to try again in Roswell.

In reply to #21

02/23/2009 12:58 AM

Abducting no fun. The will play gremlins with us. It is better we jooin hands with them - er with their machines.

And don't tell me all cock and bull stories- each of them deserve to be abducted and put in a far off place.

None of them appreciate what we do to them.

Just imagine a few days back, there was a post about my hard work and the imposter says he wants to fix his hard disk without a hammer .

And the people I thought having a bit of sanity left in them were all advising him how to do it .

I am shocked. These earthlings will never learn the easy way.

Can any one explain why fixing it with a hammer (sledge I prefer- Swinging it with a rope in the cabin I love) is more difficult than doing all those futile experiments ?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #21

02/23/2009 1:52 AM

And while you're at it, please nix those anal probes. Turns out the procedure was simply the result of a little misunderstanding and not at all what the boss ordered. I distinctly heard him say, "Go find out what those assholes are up to!"

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru

In reply to #40

02/23/2009 4:42 AM

GA to you for the clarification.

My boss also told me to fix their machines. hammer ot into them about the procedures. And I am doing it.

Guru

02/22/2009 9:45 PM

Join in the fun, not all engineers have a bit of paper that says they are.

Colorado ah, been there quite often, love the off road.

In reply to #6

02/22/2009 9:48 PM

And some who do probably bought the degree from a diploma mill, going by some of the question and answers they post......

In reply to #6

02/22/2009 10:17 PM

"...love the off road."

So, that was you in the treetops at the bottom of Wolf Creek Pass? <hehe>

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

02/22/2009 10:26 PM

I was there a few years ago, not in the trees, much.

Location: The only place where hell can really freeze over.....Michigan
Good Answers: 3
In reply to #13

02/24/2009 6:50 AM

i LOVE wolf creek.....bestest snow ever

Register to Reply
Guru

02/22/2009 9:50 PM

"I found your incredibly interesting and addictive forum while googling the poisonous qualities of green potatoes."

Ah, Jaxy's Blog!

Yes, if it's got anything to do with poisonous green potatoes, you'll find it here on CR4 (actually, I didn't know anything about Jaxy's blog until I googled "poisonous green potatoes CR4").

You don't have to be an engineer to hang out here, nor a scientist, nor a..er..musician (I'm one), nor must you even wear a tinfoil hat (my cat wears one, but only when I'm logged in and for reasons I cannot fathom). It doesn't even help to be any of these folk to be here and that may actually prove to be an advantage. Even better if you're an incorrigible nonconformist (not everybody here is, but that makes it all the more fun; especially so when you run smack into someone who has recently had their sense of humor surgically removed). Albert Einstein was okay with 'em, and that's good enough for me.

Welcome to The Asylum.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

In reply to #8

02/22/2009 9:53 PM

I wear a tin foil hat when you are logged in too, could you please ask your cat why.

In reply to #10

02/22/2009 10:05 PM

My cat has the same question for you.

Btw, I lied. I know exactly why Velcro (my cat's real name1) dons his hat when I'm logged in: it's the only time I chew tobacco and it's got nary a damn thing to do with aliens.

Now, you live in Ottawa and it's the dead of winter right now and you wear a tinfoil hat? You're braver than I thought!

1 His papa's name was Shelf Life, Bog rest his weary soul.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

02/22/2009 10:18 PM

You ask this of the person who tends to drive the Vegas without stopping?

My shop is heated, read garage, I vent the dryer into the garage, and I have a propane heater, nice and tropical in here.

In reply to #14

02/22/2009 10:31 PM

"You ask this of the person who tends to drive the Vegas without stopping?"

Hmmm ... <trying to reconcile above with love of off-roading> ...

a. You love off-roading in Colorado and enjoy watching others do it on TV.

b. You off-road to Vegas without stopping and avoid Eisenhower Tunnel at all costs (how's that hernia?)

c. You occasionally and unwittingly off-road enroute to Vegas, stopping only when reaching the bottoms of Colorado's dangerous passes by unorthodox means.

Guru

In reply to #17

02/22/2009 10:58 PM

And your point?

In reply to #20

02/22/2009 11:15 PM

Not so fast, Louie. I'm still looking for it!

Guru

In reply to #17

02/23/2009 1:24 AM

Two of my posts (#17 and #26) were each given one off-topic vote by some anonymous sourpuss, so I thought I'd help things along by voting my posts off-topic myself. Hey, it works! Not only does my diss count after the fact, it counts as five. The rest of you would-be sourpusses will have to be content with one OT vote each. C'est la vie!

Guru

In reply to #37

02/23/2009 9:25 AM

We really need to lobby for an OT count to go along with the GA count.

OTs are normally more fun in any case

In reply to #57

02/23/2009 10:20 AM

I must have bad Karma. I was expecting to enter OT Nirvana today.

Guru

In reply to #62

02/23/2009 10:59 AM

I noticed you had an attack of 'gotta post' and it seems you get 5OY for each, well done. Working on running up the numbers again?

In reply to #66

02/23/2009 11:05 AM

Well, if it don't enter OT Nirvana, it won't be for lack of trying. And yes, I've got diarrhea of the keyboard today. Blame it on a bad pedigree and too much time on my hands. I really need to get to work. I feel a guilt trip coming on ...

Guru

In reply to #68

02/23/2009 11:15 AM

I am sitting in my shop watching CNN, have to wait for the west coast to open so I can talk to people about my next off road project. I am back in my cubicle, miserable government job Wednesday and Thursday this week. Still have nothing to do there, Was a case of going back or loosing the benefits, one nice thing with the clear head, love modern pharmaceutics, I get to play head games and they don't even realize i am doing it. This week IT panic, I will raise a ticket because half of a document goes to one printer, half to another, they should work on that for half a day before the figure it out.

In reply to #71

02/23/2009 11:40 AM

Next time you drive to Vegas, stop in Grand Junction, Colorado (I'm assuming you've passed through there on I-70), for some awesome off-roading country near an area they call the "Book Cliffs." In front of the Cliffs there are miles and miles of hilly terrain like you see in the pix below. I haven't four-wheeled there but I've done some serious dirt-biking on those hills (in a few pix you can see the bike trails going up the ridges).

Guru

In reply to #72

02/23/2009 11:45 AM

I have a very good friend who lives there, he knows all the trails and has been trying to get me to stop in for a weekend for years. I never seem to be in Grand Junction at the right time though. I have another buddy in Fruta as well, he isn't there much, being an off road instructor he is on the road a lot (something wrong with that statement).

Safety - ESD - New Member India - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 41
In reply to #72

02/23/2009 4:06 PM

Hi eropium,

The pictures you have attached is worth seeing locations, it look so beautiful . It appears it is desert. Is it Rocky Mountains - Montana to New Mexico/Arizona. Which is the exact location and how can I reach from West Orange NJ .Correct name of the place so that I can google the road route. While travelling from NJ to Atlanta I could see only mountain ranges covered thick forest all through my drive. while passing through the mountain ranges The Blue Ridge Mountians - North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvainia and
Smoky Mountians - Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia all covered with thick green carpet . That one journey I really enjoyed.

Regards

Guru

In reply to #87

02/23/2009 5:10 PM

"how can I reach from West Orange NJ .Correct name of the place so that I can google the road route."

Grand Junction, Colorado is due west from West Orange, NJ. The two points are almost exactly 2000 miles apart. It's a beautiful place alright, and I didn't show an even prettier place nearby: The Colorado National Monument.

Guru

In reply to #88

02/23/2009 5:20 PM

Been there done that too, fantastic place and worth the trip.

Hobbies - Musician - Jimmy Page Wanna be (Who isn't?) Popular Science - Weaponology - Navy Fire Controlman and LCAC Craftmaster United States - Member - Member

In reply to #88

02/23/2009 11:55 PM

That whole 4 corners area is incredible. I lived there on the Navajo res when I was a kid. Took the trip down Canyon de Chelly to many times to count. We lived near the mouth in a town called Chinle. Sandstone and cottonwoods bring on the wave of nostalgia every time. Oh, and I'm not an engineer, either, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

In reply to #120

02/24/2009 10:01 AM

Four corners is on my schedule for this years 'walk about'. I am planning : Oct 17-18 Speedworld Motorsports Park, Wittmann, AZ, SEMA Show Nov 3-6 Las Vegas NV, Nov 14-15 Primm Valley Motorsports Complex, Primm, NV, so I will have some time to kill between events, and time in the wilderness is a great way to clear one's head.

Safety - ESD - New Member India - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member

In reply to #88

02/24/2009 2:45 PM

Hi europium,

Thanks I got it . It is near to Elpaso . My buddy is there , and I have a long pending invitation and have to visit him . So I can combine the visit with that trip.

Regards

Guru

In reply to #186

02/24/2009 5:41 PM

Hi V.I.Abraham,

El Paso, Texas is 650 miles south of Grand Junction, Colorado (see below). IMHO, this route passes through some of the most beautiful countryside in the continental U.S.

Guru

In reply to #198

02/24/2009 6:29 PM

Please note; through careful experimentation I have determined that it matters not if you turn left or right in Albuquerque. Buggs missed the point apparently

In reply to #198

02/27/2009 4:25 PM

Hi europium,

Thanks for the information and route.. It will be great pleasure . Hope I can make this trip in this summer.

regards

Guru
Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #72

02/24/2009 8:32 AM

Hi europium,

Forgive me...........I am but a mere boy (68yrs), from down under............is this where you go when you go off road?????..............I have been down the hole (engine room for a long period of my life and didn't get to see much daylight!!!!!!

By the way they don't use cars down the hole!!!!!!!!

............or is this really........... off the rails???????????

In reply to #11

02/23/2009 12:57 AM

What was his shelf life ? are you sure about his being the papa ?I always thought it is a matriarchial society with earthlings (except seahorses)

I swear I didn't have any thing to do with his being un-shelfed.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Power-User
Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 16
In reply to #10

02/24/2009 12:11 AM

Have you noticed what a mess it makes of your hair?

"Hat Hair", its really bad with aluminium foil. Not sure about Tin Foil, maybe I should try that?

Al is such a good conductor so I just thought it would be better, at least it is cooler.

By the way, welcome aboard Giorgia. Keep your hat on and the salt close handy.

BAB

In reply to #8

02/22/2009 10:54 PM

Musicians, cat-guardians (yeah, I'm one of those), Canadians, what more could I want?

Over the seven years since I started exploring user-groups, help-fora, and special interest blogs, I've "joined" around twenty or so, and have stayed active within only three. I post this only to say that I've never, ever received such a warm welcome within any forum, nor have I laughed so hard quite as quickly!

I was listening to Wait, Wait, don't Tell Me and starting to cook potatos when I found this forum. It's now four hours later, I got sucked into looking at websites related to neuro-science and organic farming before I finalized my first post here -- and my dinner is still only half-cooked.

That is to say, "I'll be back soon" -- but my empty stomach insists that I rap my addictive personality on the knuckles and log off for tonight.

However, before I leave, I've got to confess that I can't abide people who don't have a weird sense of humor -- I get into way too much trouble when/if I try to communicate with people who can't understand the convoluted layers of my iconoclastic brain.

So, thank you for being so kind to this "newbie" -- and I look forward to associating with you!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662
In reply to #18

02/23/2009 3:01 AM

cat-guardians .

Nice to know you're watching my back .
Welcome aboard.
Del

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #44

02/24/2009 10:20 AM

" I am an old tomboy who has always regretted"

Notice the number of threads on this? Sure brings out the Tomcats. Probably going around peeing on her windows like they do at my house at times.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #18

02/23/2009 3:13 AM

Hi, & welcome.

How about joining the Hobbies -> Musicians User Group, & shakin' it up a bit - it's very quiet at present.

In reply to #45

02/23/2009 10:45 AM

"it's very quiet at present."

In musical terms, isn't that called a rest? (Okay, so the beat's a little slow ... )

Anybody game for a bit of Tocatta & Fugue? (to hell with Bach. I was thinking more along the lines of ELP ).

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #64

02/23/2009 11:43 AM

Wash your mouth out!

In reply to #73

02/23/2009 11:54 AM

No mistake, I like Bach (though we've never met personally). I just happen to ELP's version of T & F better. Too bad the dude didn't have one of these (or all of them):

Power-User
Hobbies - Musician - Jimmy Page Wanna be (Who isn't?) Popular Science - Weaponology - Navy Fire Controlman and LCAC Craftmaster United States - Member - Member

In reply to #76

02/24/2009 12:55 AM

ELP, nice. I actually fancied Yes a bit more. Loved the stuff Wakeman did, and Steve Howe was just incredible on the guitar. That's what I play. Tried keyboards, but I'm colorblind so the keys all look alike to me.

Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123
In reply to #129

02/24/2009 9:00 AM

I was fortunate enough to see YES in November. They are still great.

In reply to #64

02/23/2009 11:46 AM

In musical terms my life is a 'rest'

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 74
In reply to #18

02/24/2009 2:21 AM

Giorgia

However, before I leave, I've got to confess that I can't abide people who don't have a weird sense of humor -- I get into way too much trouble when/if I try to communicate with people who can't understand the convoluted layers of my iconoclastic brain.

There is a thread in CR4 (Choose your favorite invention) that has some of the information you could be seeking. It does not lack information nor good situated humor. It does go and will hopefully last for some time yet. The "Inventors corner" could become a part of CR4 very soon, so watch this space.

It is some times not easy to get a humorous messages over because we are of so many nationalities. I have restricted my Australian humor a bit, so, not to offend any others. Not because it is rude but easily mis-understood.

You stay right here, with us, and she'd be good as gold Mate. I have no degrees in engineering but have my hands on the pulse, if not, at least on one of my instruments or a brush. To exclude the arts from engineering is like excluding fish from the sea. There are strings attached but they usually don't hold much. You could be the salt in the soup, who knows!

Good to have you around Mate, Ky.

In reply to #135

02/25/2009 4:06 PM

"I have restricted my Australian humor a bit, so, not to offend any others. Not because it is rude but easily mis-understood."

Please PM me some Australian jokes when convenient. I just got my hands on the 2009 Explanatory Supplement1 and I'm now ready for anything.

1) (American) Idiot's Guide to Australian Humour, Vol I.

Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #8

02/22/2009 11:29 PM

Eu,

Great entertaining post - GA to you.

BTW, what's your instrument?

Mike

In reply to #29

02/23/2009 1:27 AM

Keyboards. Thanks for the GA!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #38

02/23/2009 4:47 AM

like this

or

?

I love these, it is so much fun to be inside these and people think it is the OS fault or virus or the motherboard

Guru

In reply to #50

02/23/2009 10:06 AM

plus

plus

and sometimes

Register to Reply Page 1 of 6: « First 1 2 3 Next > Last »
This discussion was "closed" on 02/06/2012 6:06 PM. No new comments are allowed.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

3Doug (13); Andy Germany (2); Anonymous Poster (2); argh1984 (1); artsmith (1); Bayes (3); betomachine (1); Bill (1); BlueAussieBoy (1); bob c (16); Bricktop (8); C-Mac (4); ca1ic0cat (1); charlie_r (1); circuitgl (1); cnc jim (2); cnpower (5); coffeebean (1); Dances with Trees (62); Del the cat (2); double_j_b (1); DVader1000 (8); emc_c (1); Epke (18); erector1 (1); gdevine (1); Giorgia (7); Insatiably_Curious (1); Jaguar (4); Jaxy (1); jdretired (1); jerryalan (1); JohnDG (12); Kilowatt0 (2); kkjensen (1); Kris (30); ky (2); LCAC32 (5); madness (1); Mikerho (6); misplayed (1); MOBI (29); Morgan 23 (1); Nadeem0430 (17); not so smart (35); OldTechNewToys (1); pipewelder (1); Ried (1); rocketsurgeon (1); Sapper (2); sb (111); sceptic (1); Sciesis2 (1); scotchdrnkr (1); shart4legged (3); Steve S. (1); suresh sharma (2); tcinc002 (1); The Prof (2); user-deleted-13 (65); V.I.Abraham (3); Vandarye (1); vguinnan (1); Vulcan (3); XMech (2)

Previous in Forum: Google Earth for Linux   Next in Forum: Measuring LPG Levels
You might be interested in: Fiber Optic Probes, Digital Audio Systems

Advertisement